PDA

View Full Version : Graphite & watercolour pencils?

artbygail
02-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Hi everyone,

I have tried the black watercolour pencil DRY for light shading. If I want it darker, I can use damp brush to darken. My question now is when I go to
spray the board, will the spray moisten the DRY black watercolour and dissolve the black and make it run all over and make it darker, or will it remain the same light distribution as a rubbed on in the first place...I hope, I hope?? What about the graphite pencils how do they react to the spray? As you can see, I am trying various methods.

I do have the spraying down pat now by spraying the first coat with the workable fixative and then 2 coats with the final spray. It was a mess with my first efforts, thank gosh that hurdle is over with.
Gail

lorna12
02-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Gail...I've sprayed graphite with no problems at all, but I haven't tried the watercolor pencils. I would think the workable fixative would hold everything in place but I suggest using a scrap board to test it out.

Harry Seymour
02-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Gail-believe me I've tried spraying some vary odd mixtures and for reasons I don't understand the spray has always worked. Can't say this would be the case for your issues but as Lorna says--try it with test board.

artbygail
02-14-2011, 09:34 PM
Thanks Lorna and Harry,

Yes, I did do some pre- scratching and spraying on test board but I could not tell if the black pencil scumbles had moved.... or diluted... or whether they were still the same as when I laid them in. It was just a small patch so I probably needed to do a good size test section with more white areas along side of dark areas so I could make more of a comparison. I thought maybe others have worked it out and would have some answers.

I will try again, but if it works with the graphite which is dusty and if it works with all your unusual mixes Harry, it should work for me.

Thank you both,
Gail