PDA

View Full Version : Johannes - Student Discussion Forum week 4

Johannes Instructor
02-13-2011, 11:57 PM
This forum will be used until next weekend which would be the forth weekend.

Johannes Instructor
02-14-2011, 12:19 AM
Here is another book I strongly recommend that deals with general composition.
Mastering Composition by Ian Roberts

http://www.northlightshop.com/produc...on/?r=WCLIVEJV (http://www.northlightshop.com/produc...on/?r=WCLIVEJV)

Remember to type in WCLIVE in the promo code to get 10% off. (The enter code slot appears below) Also that code gets tracked so F&W Media knows the recommendation originated from these web classes. These sales will allow us to continue with the online classes in the future. I only recommend books that I feel will contribute to your artistic growth. It even comes with a 40 min DVD.You may want to bundle this one together with "Your Artist's Brain" http://www.northlightshop.com/product/your-artists-brain/?r=WCLIVEJV (http://www.northlightshop.com/product/your-artists-brain/?r=WCLIVEJV) to get free shipping.

Rosemarie
02-14-2011, 12:46 AM
Johannes, I had to work so I missed yesterdays/todays session. I wonder what the homework is?

carol_lee
02-14-2011, 01:00 AM
Thanks Robert for those GREAT notes!!! I really don't know hwo you manage them....and all the little drawings... Rosemarie you will find the homework in Robert's notes ....

Rosemarie
02-14-2011, 01:05 AM
Thanks, I am reading them right now before I have to leave for todays work.

kittierue
02-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Bah!!!! I'm searching through my thousands of images, and realizing that I need to re-travel my Montana/Idaho/Wyoming trip!!! Every image lacks staying power. What was I thinking? :eek:

Rosemarie
02-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Can I do with you? I need better photos too! :)

kittierue
02-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Please, Rosemarie, do come over! Or, maybe I should look at your collection and you look at mine? This is awful! I might have to go "land-snorkeling" to find some shapes. :)

Amandine
02-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Tought I had nice photos. Well ... changed my mind after learning what to look for with Johannes. May I go with you girls ?
Amandine

mozapony
02-14-2011, 12:27 PM
Johannes,
Thank you for doing this very important lecture series for folks all over the world. Truly a mindful spirit.

You mentioned at last live class (Feb13/11) about the perfect waterfalls photo I posted for abstraction, rhythm, etc but not the triangle in front left or the shape of the circular centre rock formation); also that it was good for painting into another canvas. Enjoy!

It is a photo snapped by many tourists like myself, whom have traveled through Northern Ontario and stopped to explore. Just a little info about this recognizable waterfall in all its beauty:

Kakabeka Falls (pronounced /ˈkɛkəˈbɛkə/) is a waterfall on the Kaministiquia River, located beside the village of Kakabeka Falls in the municipality of Oliver Paipoonge, Ontario, 30 km (19 mi) west of the city of Thunder Bay. (re: wikipedia, so I could get the spelling right, lol)

Use water as a partial fix for the rock formation?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2011/133246-waterfalls_KEKABEKA_Falls_res.jpg
regards
Sandee

diena
02-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the great course Johannes. Just wondering is the book Painting with your Artist's Brain published in 2004 the same as Your Artist's Brain. I have had this book for a while and do not want to duplicate. Thanks Diena

Davkin
02-14-2011, 01:15 PM
"Your Artist's Brain" is a complilation of "Painting with your Artist's Brain" and "Drawing with your Artist's Brain". So, you have half the book already but I think Jo says that's enough.

David

Yabut
02-14-2011, 03:00 PM
We had homework last week and, as a photographer, I usually crop in camera, so it was hard to find something that required more lopped off. I submitted that one of the steel bridge that Johannes was able to use to illustrate so many points. It was not something I would have considered painting, and could only crop it because there was water where I would preferred to have been standing. Anyway, I was glad that this photo was useful to the class.
I decided to blog about it, and thought some of you might find it interesting to see what happened to the picture after all the ideas were put into place.
Go to http://otherrambles.blogspot.com/2011/02/nothing-natural-about-art.html

And I just went and looked at it, and decided some of the background trees still need to grow taller (and of course, get some mauve in there to set them back further)

Yabut

Colorix
02-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Seems like most of us didn't understand the instructions for last Sunday, I'm sure we'll all do great next time, now that it is clearer what we should do. Just searching for these isolated shapes made me see some cool crops -- many more than when just flicking through the pics to see if any was appealing. The search gave me more than the efforts at finding shapes. Funny how sometimes benefits of hard work 'hide'.

Yabut, yours was the red bridge, right? I learned a lot from it, so I appreciate your submitting it. I've been looking at japanese bridges, and they are quite often red (rusty red), and contrast with green landscapes.

Want to say the book by Ian Roberts is really good. It is an interesting collection of wisdom, the kind that is forgotten and rare today. Some of it is in Carlson, and I 'got' it better from Roberts. Some has been hinted at by impressionists, and boy did Roberts explain it well. I have the sense that Roberts have dug deep into composition, in the geometrical mathematical parts too, and it is a relief that he teaches what is practical for artists.

susanc
02-14-2011, 03:59 PM
I talked to 3 different paint makers about this issue. WN, Michael Harding and Robert Doak. all assured me as long as you don't EAT it you are quite safe, it's bound up...in this form not free.
Colleen, you're such a great example of being well-informed about art supplies! :)

Thanks! I really shouldn't have included my skin absorption theory without checking into it first. Maybe he didn't clean the paint off well enough off his hands before eating?! :eek: In any case, I feel strongly about the main point of my message that it's good to be well-informed about your supplies and careful with the toxic ones. And thanks again, Colleen, for setting the skin absorption theory straight. :)

Yabut
02-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Yabut, yours was the red bridge, right? I learned a lot from it, so I appreciate your submitting it. I've been looking at japanese bridges, and they are quite often red (rusty red), and contrast with green landscapes.

Yes, the bridge was red, which was likely why I took the picture in the first place. I'm often drawn by some colour in a scene.

Yabut

Zanart
02-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Re: Yabut's red bridge

I read your blog and I really like the stone bridge and
the progression of the pictures. Being a geocacher as
my husband and me (sometimes) you should be getting
some really good pictures!

Greatblu
02-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Like most of the rest who have posted on this forum, I also am having trouble finding pictures to crop...maybe I need to take a second look. There might be something there I misssed.
I really appreciate the class and have learned a lot. The abstract shapes really have made me look at things defferently. Thanks Johannas

Yabut
02-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Re: Yabut's red bridge

I read your blog and I really like the stone bridge and
the progression of the pictures. Being a geocacher as
my husband and me (sometimes) you should be getting
some really good pictures!

I'm on a naked computer due to a malware problem not long ago, so I'll likely have to go to the geocaching blog (the link is at the beginning of the one I mentioned here), and see if I can find something to do this weeks project with. If not, well, I'll have to wade through a lot of old discs, I guess. I really miss my ACDSee, which had everything catagorized.

Yabut

Johannes Instructor
02-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Like most of the rest who have posted on this forum, I also am having trouble finding pictures to crop...maybe I need to take a second look. There might be something there I misssed.
I really appreciate the class and have learned a lot. The abstract shapes really have made me look at things defferently. Thanks Johannas

All you need to do is go thru photos and single out what you would call an attractive tree or rock or bush that would not be boring and have an interesting shape which means abstract shape.

Johannes Instructor
02-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Seems like most of us didn't understand the instructions for last Sunday, I'm sure we'll all do great next time, now that it is clearer what we should do.

OK LETS TRY THIS AGAIN. I WANT YOU TO HUNT THRU YOUR PHOTOS AND FIND TREES, BUSHES, ROCKS, MOUNTAINS OR HILLS THAT ARE INTERESTING SHAPES WHOSE TWO SIDES ARE DIFFERENT, HAVE MELODIC LINES ON THEIR CONTOURS, DO NOT APPEAR AS SOUP BOWLS OR DOMES (IN CASE OF MOUNTAINS OR HILLS)... HAVE INTERESTING INDENTATIONS AND PROTRUSIONS (IN CASE OF TREE OR BUSHES). YOU CAN INDICATE THESE WITH AN ARROW OR DRAW THE CONTOUR LINE AROUND THEM. I FEEL THE REASON WHY THIS IS NOT BEING UNDERSTOOD SHOWS EXACTLY WHERE I NEED TO WORK WITH YOU ALL FOR YOU WOULD READILY BE ABLE TO BRING UP THESE SHAPES. IF WE ARE NOT SEEING THEM, THERE IS OUR DIFFICIENCY. WE HAVE FOUND THE REASON WHAT IS HINDERING THE ARTISTIS GROWTH. IF WE CANNOT DISCERN WHAT SHAPE IS PLEASING THEN WE NEED TO STRENGTHEN THIS PART. LOOK BELOW. THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT I WANT.
You will need to develop your sense of esthetics to be able to recognize a beautiful shape from a boring shape and them implement these in your art work.

Johannes Instructor
02-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Here is one more. I hope this makes it clear.

KenBratto
02-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the notes Robert ... appreciate your efforts very much.

Valerieart
02-14-2011, 10:40 PM
Hi Johannes,

As I am moving from the Western Nevada to The San Francisco bay area Friday for 13 weeks. I will probably miss the weekend class. I hope I sent a photo with the the required elements. I guess I won't know until I get a copy of the video?

Anyway, I wanted to take a lot of pics along the way but, it is supposed to snow 4 to 6 feet in the Sierras. It will be bumper to bumper I"m sure. LOL
Oh well, I will have nice scenery on the other side. Oops, I mean nice abstracts!!

Have a great class, Valerie

Colorix
02-15-2011, 10:47 AM
As I was quoted, when expressing delight over the clarity of the verbal instructions given on Sunday, for the homework, I want to say thank you for the very clear visual instructions given here today.

Yabut
02-15-2011, 05:06 PM
This forum is a lot quieter this week. I gather everyone has their nose in their picture files trying to find something to submit for our abstract homework.

:clap: Yabut

Johannes Instructor
02-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Many of you are asking me for a book that I would recommend for general oil paint application and brushwork.The one I feel covers it is this one,

Brushwork Essentials by Weber

Don't forget to type promo code "WCLIVE" to get 10% off and that the recommendation was generated by this course so we can continue in the future.
Here is the link to this book,
http://www.northlightshop.com/produc...ls/?r=WCLIVEJV

Johannes Instructor
02-15-2011, 05:08 PM
This forum is a lot quieter this week. I gather everyone has their nose in their picture files trying to find something to submit for our abstract homework.

:clap: Yabut

As it should be not just grab the first picture you like. Be demanding!

norskgal
02-15-2011, 05:21 PM
I posted last week about the availability of videos for those of us not able to attend the live webinars. I had hoped that they would be available sooner so we could buy into them and keep up with those able to attend. I also emailed F&Wmedia's customer service. Today I received a nice (albeit noncommital) response. It was good to find that someone out there is listening. So I replied with a little more input from my perspective. What I wrote follows in italics....

Thank you Laura for responding to my email. Additionally, it would be good to have the content edited for better audio clarity, etc., but DO NOT truncate the content. One of the best parts of Johannes' teaching style is the repetition of principles while using different visuals to reenforce the information. The live webinar format comes closer to the experience we get from attending a workshop. Many CD presentations by other artists, although good and useful, come across as rehearsed. Johannes' webinar style works well for me!

I hope that my input is useful to F&Wmedia. I spend a lot of money on my "art addiction". It is gratifying when I feel I get my money's worth.

Laura Price was the person that responded to me. Maybe others have input they would like F&Wmedia to hear.

I was lucky to have both books the Johannes recommends already on my bookshelf. The "Artist Brain" by Purcell and "Mastering Composition" by Ian Roberts. And I found that the Roberts book has a CD imbedded inside the back cover that I didn't know was there. So when I have time, I will view that.

I hope that my input is useful to F&Wmedia. I spend a lot of money on my "art addiction". It is gratifying when I feel I get my money's worth.
[/I]

Johannes Instructor
02-15-2011, 05:47 PM
I posted last week about the availability of videos for those of us not able to attend the live webinars. I had hoped that they would be available sooner so we could buy into them and keep up with those able to attend. I also emailed F&Wmedia's customer service. Today I received a nice (albeit noncommital) response. It was good to find that someone out there is listening. So I replied with a little more input from my perspective. What I wrote follows in italics....

Thank you Laura for responding to my email. Additionally, it would be good to have the content edited for better audio clarity, etc., but DO NOT truncate the content. One of the best parts of Johannes' teaching style is the repetition of principles while using different visuals to reenforce the information. The live webinar format comes closer to the experience we get from attending a workshop. Many CD presentations by other artists, although good and useful, come across as rehearsed. Johannes' webinar style works well for me!

Laura Price was the person that responded to me. Maybe others have input they would like F&Wmedia to hear.

I was lucky to have both books the Johannes recommends already on my bookshelf. The "Artist Brain" by Purcell and "Mastering Composition" by Ian Roberts. And I found that the Roberts book has a CD imbedded inside the back cover that I didn't know was there. So when I have time, I will view that.

[/i]
Thanks for letting them know your thoughts. the first 4 classes have been submitted to F&W Media for publication. Any day now they will be available. Thanks for your patience. I am a perfeccionist and the delay was due to the editing because I wanted you to get the best quality possible because there is some reading and I want the photos to be sharp. Judy who has been doing a wonderful job editing these web class has nailed it to a science and we are very happy with the result. The rest of the classes will follow real easily because we have worked out the bugs.

Anoella
02-15-2011, 07:17 PM
Here is an Arbutus I think has an abstract shape though I believe you would say it has to many sky holes Johannes so I would fill them in a bit.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2011/102384-gimp_galiano_arbutus_2a.jpg

Greatblu
02-15-2011, 07:47 PM
OK. I went through my photos again and found some very interesting things. I also took a short walk to the creek near my house and took some more pictures. I noticed that I now look for interesting negative spaces and non-symmetrical shapes vs symmetrical.... Now I would like to try uploading some images, but really don't understand the 'upload from the photo thread". Where is the photo thread...sorry for the dumb question...

flowergirl
02-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Yabut

Just wanted you to know that I like the red bridge (sorry Johannes)!

Sharon in Vermont

flowergirl
02-15-2011, 11:04 PM
I also did not understand what Johannes was looking for last week regarding abstract shapes. I thought a pleasing photo would make an attractive painting. Now I'm looking for abstract shapes wherever I go. Just need to take my camera with me more often!
Sharon in Vermont

susanc
02-16-2011, 12:16 AM
OK. I went through my photos again and found some very interesting things. I also took a short walk to the creek near my house and took some more pictures. I noticed that I now look for interesting negative spaces and non-symmetrical shapes vs symmetrical.... Now I would like to try uploading some images, but really don't understand the 'upload from the photo thread". Where is the photo thread...sorry for the dumb question... No. Sorry. It's not a dumb question at all!

Upload here abstract shapes from photos thread
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=893422

Here's just one nifty way to find all the threads that relate to this class:
Scroll to the top of the page. Find on the left side these words by a drawing of a file folder:
WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Landscapes > Partner: WetCanvas Live!

Click on the words: Partner: WetCanvas Live!
And there you have them all listed--the handouts thread, the notes thread, the class exercise thread, etc.

You can do that from within any thread that's listed there.

Be sure to bookmark it--or add it to your favorites--or whatever's easiest for you to do to get back to it!

Can't wait to see your photo.

Johannes Instructor
02-16-2011, 09:56 AM
I also did not understand what Johannes was looking for last week regarding abstract shapes. I thought a pleasing photo would make an attractive painting. Now I'm looking for abstract shapes wherever I go. Just need to take my camera with me more often!
Sharon in Vermont

AH!!! the light is shinning. What may be a good photo will not necessarily end up being a good painting. The photo is a trickster. I call it the "Artist's satan" and for a good reason.

Johannes Instructor
02-16-2011, 09:57 AM
OK. I went through my photos again and found some very interesting things. I also took a short walk to the creek near my house and took some more pictures. I noticed that I now look for interesting negative spaces and non-symmetrical shapes vs symmetrical.... Now I would like to try uploading some images, but really don't understand the 'upload from the photo thread". Where is the photo thread...sorry for the dumb question...

OH YES YES YES YES!!!

northbank
02-16-2011, 07:13 PM
I've only been able to attend one day of the webinars thus far, but am looking forward to being available for most of the rest of them. A heartfelt thanks to Robert for the note taking...I feel it is allowing me to understand where the class has been and kind of be up to speed. I look forward to the release of the CDs.

I just got permission to post today from WC, so i will grab some photos and see if I am understanding what has been taught thus far.

Johannes...wonderful class this past Saturday. I have ordered and await the "artistsbrain" book. Looking forward to the next weekend set of classes. Many thanks.
Diane

vapsman88
02-16-2011, 07:22 PM
I just received my brain in the mail today. :eek:

I mean the book "Your Artist's Brain" of course. It looks pretty cool and lot of things to study.

Thanks for suggesting it, Johannes.

~John

IMPac
02-17-2011, 02:28 AM
I am finally able to access the site and post etc. Thank you Robert for some incredible notes and thank you Johannes for a very helpful webinar. Some things are finally coming together for me and I look forward to improving my painting experience with your help!:thumbsup:

Johannes Instructor
02-17-2011, 08:54 AM
I just received my brain in the mail today. :eek:

I mean the book "Your Artist's Brain" of course. It looks pretty cool and lot of things to study.

Thanks for suggesting it, Johannes.

~John

Hahahha! That made me laugh.

Johannes Instructor
02-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Yabut

Just wanted you to know that I like the red bridge (sorry Johannes)!

Sharon in Vermont

Mmm did I mention anything about a bridge? Maybe my memory is becoming too abstract. LOL

susanc
02-17-2011, 12:06 PM
I was reading some thoughts about design and abstract shapes in a graphic design context. (Hey, can that be called abstract thinking?!!) It said that even though design is a creative process, getting ideas is easy, but design itself is work. Also, it said that design is more about eliminating or discarding ideas rather than creating them. (You want to communicate one great solid idea in your painting, incorporating 10 more ideas will weaken the one great solid one! Hmmm. Sounds familiar! ;) ) Over the last two weeks, we've gone through a lot of design (in other words, work!)--discarding (which is even more design work!) photos and shapes.

If you view this process as design (eliminating ideas) rather than losing a lot of photos, maybe it doesn't seem quite as painful? :) Almost everything I read about in design now comes back to something Joe has said! ;) To me, Joe's definition of a good, pleasing abstract shape is now the most enjoyable type of shape to look at.

Yabut
02-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Mmm did I mention anything about a bridge? Maybe my memory is becoming too abstract. LOL

Yes, you suggested I go google for a stone bridge to put in place of that red steel bridge in the photo you used to demonstrate on last weekend. I did that, and have now even added the results to my blog. ( http://otherrambles.blogspot.com/2011/02/nothing-natural-about-art.html )
Of course the scene is now totally imaginary.

Yabut

Anoella
02-17-2011, 01:58 PM
I meant to post my photo in the abstract shape thread not here, no wonder I couldn't find it there. I would move it but I don't know how. On the good side I managed to post my first photo. Now if only I can get this message posted because I thought I had posted it yesterday!:)

Leona

Johannes Instructor
02-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Yes, you suggested I go google for a stone bridge to put in place of that red steel bridge in the photo you used to demonstrate on last weekend. I did that, and have now even added the results to my blog. ( http://otherrambles.blogspot.com/2011/02/nothing-natural-about-art.html )
Of course the scene is now totally imaginary.

Yabut

Ok I remember now. Well it may work in the photo. Try to make it work in a painting.

Johannes Instructor
02-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Sharon in Vermont

No, pleasing photos do not guarantee pleasing, paintings. Good design principles do.

vapsman88
02-17-2011, 03:13 PM
I am studying "The Artist's Brain" by Carl Purcell and it is nothing short of amazing. The first exercise is a method detailing how to measure with the pencil. I have had Art Teachers talk about it, but usually it is up to the student to figure out how to do it. Mr. Purcell goes into amazing detail on how to estimate the sizes, relationships, and angles and it is very clear now. I wish I had this book 20 years ago.

~John

Colorix
02-17-2011, 04:10 PM
I do not have any photos at all of abstract and beautiful graceful trees. Ordinary dome- and umbrella trees, or the mis-shapen ones. Mostly, it is a solid wall of trees, as that is how trees grow here (or in militarily straight lines along a city street). This close to the arctic, the vegetation is also rather short.

I realise I have searched for "interesting shapes", and "view of this place", and "ooooh pretty colour", when shooting photos.

Some references are OK, but I will have to work on every single one of them -- manipulate them -- to create melodic lines, and abstract masses. They are not there. It will be interesting to see if I can shoot better photos this year.

Nature sure isn't helpful. Or, is it so that nearly *every* scene has to be re-designed? Maybe that is why it is so important to know how to!

Johannes Instructor
02-17-2011, 05:13 PM
I do not have any photos at all of abstract and beautiful graceful trees. Ordinary dome- and umbrella trees, or the mis-shapen ones. Mostly, it is a solid wall of trees, as that is how trees grow here (or in militarily straight lines along a city street). This close to the arctic, the vegetation is also rather short.

I realise I have searched for "interesting shapes", and "view of this place", and "ooooh pretty colour", when shooting photos.

Some references are OK, but I will have to work on every single one of them -- manipulate them -- to create melodic lines, and abstract masses. They are not there. It will be interesting to see if I can shoot better photos this year.

Nature sure isn't helpful. Or, is it so that nearly *every* scene has to be re-designed? Maybe that is why it is so important to know how to!

Let's no place so much trust on photos to do the job. It is we that that to do the designing. Photos only give us ideas. There is noi such thing as a photo that will give you the painting. Maybe it wll give you half, the other half you need to design.

susanc
02-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Let's no place so much trust on photos to do the job. It is we that that to do the designing. Photos only give us ideas. There is noi such thing as a photo that will give you the painting. Maybe it wll give you half, the other half you need to design.
Thank goodness! I'd never get any painting done if I had to rely on great photos alone! I hardly have any, even though I've probably taken hundreds and hundreds of photos!

Colorix
02-18-2011, 02:39 AM

Thank you for confirming!

susanc
02-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Is it OK to post links from the very first Clyde Aspevig thread?

We're in new territory now in "Partner: Wet Canvas Live!" and I'm not exactly sure what is acceptable to pull in here, and what isn't. This post, #117, was very helpful for me and might be helpful to someone else, so I hoped to be able to share the link.

A couple months or so back, Johannes took two Clyde Aspevig paintings and outlined them to break them into abstract shapes and melodic lines. It's one of my favorite posts because it was probably my first WC major aha! moments. I knew I liked Clyde Aspevig, and this seemed to be one big reason why. Unfortunately, I'd never noticed the wonderful shapes for myself before.

In fact, it was that very post that appealed to me so much, I started dogging poor Johannes' steps ever since! :D

Johannes Instructor
02-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Is it OK to post links from the very first Clyde Aspevig thread?

We're in new territory now in "Partner: Wet Canvas Live!" and I'm not exactly sure what is acceptable to pull in here, and what isn't. This post, #117, was very helpful for me and might be helpful to someone else, so I hoped to be able to share the link.

A couple months or so back, Johannes took two Clyde Aspevig paintings and outlined them to break them into abstract shapes and melodic lines. It's one of my favorite posts because it was probably my first WC major aha! moments. I knew I liked Clyde Aspevig, and this seemed to be one big reason why. Unfortunately, I'd never noticed the wonderful shapes for myself before.

In fact, it was that very post that appealed to me so much, I started dogging poor Johannes' steps ever since! :D

Well you go ahead and post it. Because I am in partnership with a publishing company I cannot post works from other artists because it could be taken a use for profit but in your situation that would not be the case.

Johannes Instructor
02-18-2011, 12:36 PM

Next class we will see examples of this and problem solving that will give you tools to know how to modify these photos.

susanc
02-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Great! You've already covered all this so everyone's pretty familiar with the abstract shape concept, but this was brand-new to me at the time, and such a huge, "Wow!"

Everyone can see how the shapes are not all repeats of identical sizes. Concave indents are not the same depth as other concave indents...sides are not symmetrical.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11281241&postcount=117

susanc
02-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Hey, Charlie--perfect lead-in for tomorrow!

Johannes Instructor
02-18-2011, 01:42 PM
I'm embarrassed to ask, but yesterday, when I was working with the hill, I noticed it's hard to avoid getting triangle shapes in mountains and therefore in the sky as well. Is blunting the tip of the triangle doing enough to overcome a triangular shape?
Wow now that is a wll poised question! That question showe me you are getting all this. Susan tomorrow we will deal exactly with this. One you pin point a problem, the answer is almost there.

susanc
02-18-2011, 01:45 PM
You caught it! I was so embarrassed because I felt I should know the answer to my question, I got rid of it, hoping you wouldn't see it.

Thanks-- I'm looking forward to tomorrow even more than I already was! :)

Johannes Instructor
02-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Great! You've already covered all this so everyone's pretty familiar with the abstract shape concept, but this was brand-new to me at the time, and such a huge, "Wow!"

Everyone can see how the shapes are not all repeats of identical sizes. Concave indents are not the same depth as other concave indents...sides are not symmetrical.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11281241&postcount=117

Susan do me a favor. Copy my text and those photos and repost under your name. I will be having those deleted under my name. In fact if you copy all the posts with aspevig's picture that would be great.

susanc
02-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Re: Clyde Aspevig
I wanted to ask about shapes, the "bones" of a painting. What does C. A. say about them.

Since its first on your list, maybe you could show us about shapes? Good place to start. I'm sure there are many interested people.

Some personal questions:
1. how many abstract shapes? can there be too many? to few?
You start with abstract masses, then within those abstract masses you design abstract shapes then more mini abstract shapes within those shapes and you keep on going until you get to accents. Think of a cup going into another cup going into another cup.
2. do dark shapes or masses need to be connected in some way? (the beginning, block in stage)
Each mass has its own identity and it is stand alone. Basically unless you have white areas in your painting you work with three masses
1) Mid Light 2) Mid 3) Mid Dark You try to respect those masses as much as you can, which means the values you apply within those masses should stay within that overall mass. Example if your sky is the Light Mid value, all your clouds and the blue sky should be about the same value. If your grass area is the mid value all the values in that mass should be as close to mid value as much as possible. If your vertical trees is your mid dark value all the parts of that mass should stay within that overall value as much as you can. Accents can be ignored in this. To get to your answer lets say you create darker areas in the trees. Instead of spotting the darks you would connect them. There is a very good book, a must have called, "Painting from the Artist's Brain" that address many issues where artists tend to be weak. he mentions the concept of connecting the darks in that book. You do not have to connect a mid light mass with another mass. Only the darks accents in those masses.
Below is a visualization of Clyde's painting broken into abstract shapes. As he paints he will think in these shapes in order to connect to the right brain.
To think in abstract shapes in trees, pretend you drop a huge blanket over the foliage. As this blanket settles on top, the contour should have no repeated clumps or equal concave entrances.
Abstract means not repeated or equal patterns.

Also a preview of Clyde's new book that is not out yet until 2 weeks from now he will refer to visual music applied to his painting. If you look closely at the bottom of the distant rocks in the sea painting follow that line. He refers to that as a musical note. I refer to it as a melodic line for easier understanding.

Using Clyde's paintings as examples would be great.

[/quote]http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-abstract_design_1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-abstract_design_2.jpg

susanc
02-18-2011, 02:07 PM
If you go to Clyde Aspevig’s website you will notice that in his latest paintings all his masses do not go to a dark value. He works in an average mid value and goes no darker than a mid dark value (except for accents).
Convert them to a gray scale. If you do see dark masses in his paintings that's because the photo was under exposed not because the painting itself has those darks. I know this because he told me this and have seen quite a few paintings in person and compared them to the photos. The originals are higher key. This also applies to Matt Smith who will generally plan the whole painting to be an average mid value and will rely on chroma to create the illusion of light not so much the chiaroscuro. They both recommend not to create strong light dark contrasts because it stops the eye flow. The point is for the viewer to move around in the painting even though it has a focal point. See photo.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-clyde_aspevig_evening_in_shadows.jpg

susanc
02-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Photos can easily be under-exposed thus unnecessarily emphasizing the darker areas. The only way is by seeing the originals. It is true that Clyde used to work with some dark masses years ago but if you see his recent work in the past few years he rarely creates a dark mass unless it is small and absolutely necessary or needs to agree with the time of day (night scene, twilight, or late aftenoon when the sun is practically gone). Check out all the paintings on his website:

http://www.clydeaspevig.com/current.html
http://www.clydeaspevig.com/previous.html

You will see that none of the photos contain dark masses beyond a mid dark value if the painting indicates broad daylight, except the one you posted and the one titled "Dusk". Again, the real painting would not be as dark as it appears in that photo. The painting named "Dusk" is quite dark of course because it is a moonlit scene not a sunny day. The mood of the painting will compensate for the dark areas. Clyde says he uses the pigment chroma to create the sense of light, not the light-dark contrasts because he wants to move the viewer's eye around the painting.
Also if you see Matt Smith's work (don't trust the photos) the whole painting results into an overall midvalue range. This idea of dark light contrast was carried over from the old realists. Then the impressionists came in and used a higher key composition. Clyde says when he paints outdoors he does not see those dark areas and refers to the impressionists views.

http://www.clydeaspevig.com/clyde_as...irst_thaw.html
http://www.clydeaspevig.com/clyde_as...shoreline.html

(Notice in that latter link those evergreens and pine trees are not dark.)

Clyde even specifies that contrary to his peers, he likes to paint outdoors when the sun light is the strongest around mid day. Of course we must respect realism too. If you are painting a very late afternoon or twilight scene obviously you will have dark masses because the sunlight is weak. But it is highly improbable to have a dark shape in broad daylight. And even if you do happen to see a dark shape such as a backlit evergreen trees the painting will have more life and glow if ignore this and you increase the value of that shape to no darker than a value 7. Usually evergreen trees are your darkest areas in your painting (with the exception of wet rocks). I would recommend to all of your artists to work in an overal midvalue in most of your masses and to think basically in three values for all of your masses. These are Light Mid, Mid and Mid Dark. You would add the light value mass (which in a photo would end up being white) if you are painting a white building, a snow scene or sunlight water foam.
Only reserve the darks for accents not for shapes or masses. If you work from photos be careful. The camera will tend to take a value 6 or 7 on the value scale and convert it to a solid black because of the way the camera works. I would recommend you take all dark areas from your photos and raise all those values to no darker than a 7. You will be much more pleased with the results.

susanc
02-18-2011, 02:25 PM
Cameras do not respect values and takes a number 7 value and puts it into a black area. It is common knowledge. "Prairie Pond" depicts a late afternoon sunset so of course it will be lower key. Photos will always be darker than originals or you will lose the lights. In spite of that it contains NO DARK MASSES. Again when I refer to dark masses I am talking about anything darker than a value 7 that would end up losing color. Value 8 and maybe 9 would be reserved for accents.

The reason for this is that like he says it shouts to the viewer "Here I am! waving his arms" and any dark value after a 7 will be colorless and boring like song with no music. Why not show color and light every where? Also there is an important concept referred to as, "Painting the way the eye sees" That is a huge concept in itself and requires ample explanation but the bottom line is the eye cannot see two equals darks if they are separated one from another.
So as soon as you paint two equal darks in a painting you are contradicting the way we humans see. That’s because we have fewer rods and cones in the peripheral area of the eye and because of that we won't see those darks.

Aspevig mostly works in the average mid value NOT MID DARK which would be around a value 5. Convert his paintings from his web into a grey scale. If you paint with an average mid dark value and you are depicting broad day light your painting will end up being sad and somber missing punch.

All these things I have been typing only apply to landscapes not portraits or still lifes for they don’t usually have the intensity of direct sunlight. I am referring to exclusively landscape paintings at broad daylight.

I am not typing this to argue but so the people reading this blog might do themselves a favor and avoid using dark masses in their paintings and work mostly in mid light, mid and mid dark values, reserving darks for accents only not shapes or masses if the painting depicts a broad daylight scene. When the blog spoke about wanting to know Clyde's techniques I decided to reply so my fellow artists can improve their paintings. I want to be clear when I refer to avoiding dark masses, I am referring to anything that would pratically look colorless. Usually value 8 or 9. An easy way to assess this is that if you look at an area in a painting from a distance and you cannot name the hue, you went too dark. Likewise this would apply to very light areas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-IMG_3118.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-IMG_3108.jpg

susanc
02-18-2011, 02:30 PM
Look at this newest painting from Clyde Aspevig. As you can see, he planned 3 masses all in the mid value range.

Sky = lightest grey
mountain, rocks and terrain = neutral mid grey
Bushes = darker grey
No darks shapes or masses anywhere except for accents.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-clyde_aspevig_orange_lichen_690.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-clyde_aspevig_orange_lichen_690gray.jpg

susanc
02-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Some photos of where Clyde Aspevig has painted. Some are of National Parks and other photos are secret places. In these photos you will see how he edited them and how true he was to the photo.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-IMG_0113.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-parkerhomestead600.jpg

susanc
02-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Avalanche Lake in Glacier National Park

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-IMG_1491.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-avalanche_lake_large1.jpg

susanc
02-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Mt. Rundle in Banff by Vermilion Lakes

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-IMG_1061.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-109.jpg

susanc
02-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Hidden Lake in Glacier National Park

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-hidden_lake.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-clyde_aspevig_hidden_lake_glacier_park_28x36_org.jpg

susanc
02-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Otter Cliffs in Acadia National Park, Maine

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-_MG_0870.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-0040more_light.jpg

susanc
02-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Snake River Overlook in Teton National Park

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-4904986898_31acecd155_z.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-clyde_aspevig_snake_river_overlook_690.jpg

susanc
02-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Yellowstone Falls in Yellowstone National Park

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-yellowstone_falls.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-clyde_aspevig_yellowstone_falls_690.jpg

susanc
02-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Emigrant Mountain in Montana.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-IMG_0178.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-clyde_aspevig_emigrant_peak_690.jpg

susanc
02-18-2011, 03:24 PM
Here are two more that you can compare:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-IMG_1417.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-0065.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2011/1697-clyde_aspevig_western_saga_600.jpg

Johannes Instructor
02-18-2011, 05:54 PM
Thank you Susanc. That must've been a lot of work.

susanc
02-18-2011, 08:35 PM
It was good to revisit it again. I was surprised that it all fit on page 5. Thought it would add up to several more pages! Great info!

vapsman88
02-18-2011, 11:37 PM
Thanks Susan,

That was very informative!

Is it me or does anyone else wish the real world matches Clyde Aspevig's world. I want to live there.
:)

~John

Yorky
02-19-2011, 04:04 AM
Fabulous photos and paintings Susan. Any chance of posting the photos in the Reference Image Library?

Doug

Colorix
02-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Thank you, Susan, these are wonderful to have and see!

I think Aspevig is going to be featured in the next American Artist's mag.

Yorky
02-19-2011, 08:52 AM
I understand the photos are copyright and so can't be uploaded to the RIL.

Doug

susanc
02-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Unfortunately, those are not my photos or information. (But I do wish I'd shot those photos!) I had permission to put them to this thread. I'm sorry for the confusion--it's my fault in the way I transferred them here! :o

Charlie--thanks for the heads up!

oils4me
02-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Susan thank you for the reposting those wonderful notes.

Johannes I have family coming in today and very sadly....I'm going to miss your workshops this weekend...so I will need to know how to purchase the DVD's I didn't see anything on NorthLight about them yet...didn't want you to think I'm goofing off or anything...:)

charleyz
02-19-2011, 01:23 PM
I've had this book for quite awhile and find it exceptional, too. The examples and descriptions for paint densities are both clear and practical. His approach to brush loading has helped me many times. After owning "Brushwork Essentials" for quite awhile, I still refer to it, especially when I find myself getting sloppy and need a refresher.

Johannes Instructor
02-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Susan thank you for the reposting those wonderful notes.

Johannes I have family coming in today and very sadly....I'm going to miss your workshops this weekend...so I will need to know how to purchase the DVD's I didn't see anything on NorthLight about them yet...didn't want you to think I'm goofing off or anything...:)
I know. I submitted them early this week. It is in their hands now. I cannot commit but I expect them to be available for download early next week.

Yabut
02-19-2011, 02:53 PM

Thanks Colorix, I'm glad I submitted that too. It was very interesting to see all the ideas that Johannes put forth using that one picture as an example.

Yabut

robertsloan2
02-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Just for fun, while Johannes was talking about the North Light books I looked over at my cat sleeping next to my Unisons box. He made a perfect abstract shape. He usually does, though what shape changes every two minutes while he's asleep as he moves.

So I thought I'd post him here where people might see it - and critique and let me know if I'm way off about it. Just did his contours but added a little shading for points. His ears do repeat but his paw changed the shape of one of his ears to make that more rhythmic than cloned.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2011/70184-2-19-2011-Cat-as-Abstract-Shape.jpg
Sleeping Cat as an Abstract Shape
4" x 6"
Pigma Micron pen on paper.

oCDs01-711
02-19-2011, 06:17 PM
Wow, great class! Today's was the best so far for me. I've heard about "abstract" or "puzzle pieces" but it just didn't connect with me. :confused: Today with repetition and actually SHOWING what you meant, all of a sudden it connected. :thumbsup: I really got your class.

I've recently retired and taking painting classes with a local pro. Just because artists can paint doesn't mean they can teach. I've learned more with you than my "teacher" and spent considerably less! :rolleyes: The things you have pointed out should be taught by all artists who consider themselves "teachers." After listening to your program today, I have enthusiasm about painting again! I didn't know that I didn't know. :lol:

You are doing a great job teaching painting. I'm a retired teacher and I appreciate your teaching efforts. :)

springcleaner
02-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Johannes, I still cannot find the classroom printouts.

I go to Wet Canvas, then type in "johannes student discussion" But none
of the links that I click on give me the handouts. there are 10 links but none that direct me to the handouts.

what am I missing??

Liz Schaeffer

winecountry
02-19-2011, 06:30 PM
thanks Johannes a very good class today, and I like reading the chat as Ken is very handy with concise nuggets of info and answers

oCDs01-711
02-19-2011, 06:31 PM
Hi! Try going to the same page and click on Posting HANDOUTS .... Underneath will be Johannes' name and the date 1-29-2011 :wave:

oCDs01-711
02-19-2011, 06:33 PM
Oops, I should have said it's right under this title! And the title is Posted Handouts for Class Attendees! Sorry.:wave:

billy boy
02-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Dear Johannes,

Thank you so much for doing this class. I have learned so much. And have
done so many things wrong. Can't wait to put all my new knowledge to
good use. You are an excellent teacher. Thanks again Terry

pjreads
02-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Thank you Johannes for these wonderful classes and thanks to Robert for his artist's brain notes.

It did take me three lessons to truly understand abstact shapes. At first I was disappointed that this session didn't focus on Planning Masses and Shapes, but I did need all the examples and repetitions.

Now I'm wondering ...
... Do our right brains get the big thrill over abstract shapes because of their rarity in nature?

Eddypus1
02-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Thank you Johannes for your classes. I've been painting for over 20 years and been taking classes for as many too. The theories you're teaching I never was taught before. What an eye-opener. I look at my paintings and see my errors in composition. Oh my! Back to the drawing board for me!

arp8nter
02-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Johannes,

I am thoroughly enjoying your classes and learning so very much. I can hardly wait to teach all this to someone else! Thank you so much for your generous gift of time and talent to teach us and thanks to the sponsors, too.

Cindy

susanc
02-19-2011, 07:21 PM
I once heard that the delight in humor is the unexpected twist--the novelty of a unexpected conclusion. Maybe that's kind of the delight we get from abstract shapes? Delight in the unexpected?

Liz, when I'm near the top of the page here, I just scroll up to find these words on the left-hand side:
WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Landscapes > Partner: WetCanvas Live!

Click on "Partner: WetCanvas Live!" and it will take you to the index of all Johannes-related threads. This tip only works if you are already in a Johannes-related thread (like this one), though.

Remember to bookmark it when you get there, or add it to favorites.

Dougwas
02-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Johannes, I still cannot find the classroom printouts.

I go to Wet Canvas, then type in "johannes student discussion" But none
of the links that I click on give me the handouts. there are 10 links but none that direct me to the handouts.

what am I missing??

Liz Schaeffer

Here is the link to the handout thread. Maybe you can bookmark it because it is the same thread every week. http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872822

Doug

pat-trew
02-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Johannes, I Have A Picture Of A Sunset On The South West Coast Of Florida, The Sky Lookes As If The Devil Set It On Fire. Can I Send It So You Can Advise Where It Could Possibly Be Used, And Possible Fixes For It. Pat T.

Johannes Instructor
02-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Johannes, I Have A Picture Of A Sunset On The South West Coast Of Florida, The Sky Lookes As If The Devil Set It On Fire. Can I Send It So You Can Advise Where It Could Possibly Be Used, And Possible Fixes For It. Pat T.
You can upload it here

Sunny7
02-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Johannes, I am so thankful for these classes. I am learning a great deal and trying to apply it to the paintings I have been doing recently. Thank you very much for sharing your time and talent.

Rebecca

jmcedeno
02-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Just for fun, while Johannes was talking about the North Light books I looked over at my cat sleeping next to my Unisons box. He made a perfect abstract shape. He usually does, though what shape changes every two minutes while he's asleep as he moves.

So I thought I'd post him here where people might see it - and critique and let me know if I'm way off about it. Just did his contours but added a little shading for points. His ears do repeat but his paw changed the shape of one of his ears to make that more rhythmic than cloned.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2011/70184-2-19-2011-Cat-as-Abstract-Shape.jpg
Sleeping Cat as an Abstract Shape
4" x 6"
Pigma Micron pen on paper.
Great Sketch Robert looks like you had fun doing it. BTW, your notes of today's class are great, as always, thanks so much for sharing them.

northbank
02-19-2011, 10:54 PM
Did anyone manage to capture a copy of the message log? My attempt to capture got lost at some point very near the begining. There were a lot of good questions in there and I'd like to re-read them. If so, could you post them, or get me a copy?
Thank you,
Diane

PollyJo
02-19-2011, 11:08 PM
Hello Johannes,

I missed week 1 of your web casts, because I didn't know about you. A painter friend got me connected, and I haven't missed a minute since. Even your pre and post session comments I cherish.

Please forward my most grateful THANK YOU to Robert Sloan for his genius notes that let me focus totally on what you are saying, and not worry about my left brain getting into the act, of trying to organize your teachings into notes that are clear and concise.

I am not sure at this point, but I think your webcasts are changing my artistic llife. I am fledging member of the Edmonton Art Club. Maybe sometime in the future you will again come to one of our meetings and see in me a successful student of your teachings.
Thank you so much.
Joan Boyer ( PollyJo )

Rosemarie
02-20-2011, 01:36 AM
Did anyone manage to capture a copy of the message log? My attempt to capture got lost at some point very near the begining. There were a lot of good questions in there and I'd like to re-read them. If so, could you post them, or get me a copy?
Thank you,
Diane
I got them! Click on my name and you'll get to my mail address. Send me a mail and request the message log. I have them in Pages but can easily convert them to pdf or .doc if you like. Just tell me.

Carol(SA)
02-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Dear Johannes

Thank you so much for sharing all your wisdom with the world!

I was lucky to have worked my way through Painting with your Artists Brain over Christmas so your workshops have been wonderful in cementing and expanding upon these new ideas. Due to the time difference in Cape Town, South Africa, I have to wait until 10pm to get all this wonderfully stimulating information. The fact that I stay awake until close to 1am speaks for itself.

I have now started going back to all my paintings that have worried me and now I see why! I paint out twice a week and have been able to put all your information into practice. I now look for shapes!!! I have loved drawing over photographs!

Thank you!

Carol(SA)
02-20-2011, 06:46 AM
Great Shape!

carol_lee
02-20-2011, 06:56 AM
I have to wait until 10pm to get all this wonderfully stimulating information. The fact that I stay awake until close to 1am speaks for itself.

I have the same time.... :lol: and by then I am so awake and stimulated can't get to sleep.....

Johannes Instructor
02-20-2011, 07:30 AM
Great Sketch Robert looks like you had fun doing it. BTW, your notes of today's class are great, as always, thanks so much for sharing them.

Yes Robert even wildlife artists and people who draw place animals in a way that they would make pleasing shapes.

pjreads
02-20-2011, 09:01 AM
Straight horizon line? ... This morning I flipped through landscapes and a few seascapes by Aspevig, Wyeth, Turner, Cezanne and Van Gogh plus someone's idea of the "World's 10 Greatest Seascapes" (http://www.theartwolf.com/10_seascapes.htm).

Definite feeling of a horizon in all, but very few had straight lines of any significant length (soft, blurred, lost & found).

Would a straight horizon line be used as a sighting line in the early stages of a painting to help get things in the right places?

Maybe the idea of a straight horizon line is a dictate from the left brain?

Colorix
02-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Due to the time difference in Cape Town, South Africa, I have to wait until 10pm to get all this wonderfully stimulating information. The fact that I stay awake until close to 1am speaks for itself.

Know exactly how you feel, for me it starts at 9 pm. There's somebody from India too... (yawwwnnn) Here are some virtual matchsticks to keep your eyes open ////

Johannes Instructor
02-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Straight horizon line? ... This morning I flipped through landscapes and a few seascapes by Aspevig, Wyeth, Turner, Cezanne and Van Gogh plus someone's idea of the "World's 10 Greatest Seascapes" (http://www.theartwolf.com/10_seascapes.htm).

Definite feeling of a horizon in all, but very few had straight lines of any significant length (soft, blurred, lost & found).

Would a straight horizon line be used as a sighting line in the early stages of a painting to help get things in the right places?

Maybe the idea of a straight horizon line is a dictate from the left brain?

yes we draw sighting lines to know where we are and then blur what is necessary so the eye passes over these lines with some recognition of what they are but not getting glued to those lines.

Rosemarie
02-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Johannes, when you talked about shrinkwrap yesterday was it just so one had to imaging this to make the shapes more abstract or is it a feature in the photo editing application (or maybe both?)??

Johannes Instructor
02-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Johannes, when you talked about shrinkwrap yesterday was it just so one had to imaging this to make the shapes more abstract or is it a feature in the photo editing application (or maybe both?)??

I do it mentally to average out all nature's little protrusions but if it helps you to visualize it better then use a photo editing tool to do it.

robertsloan2
02-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Johannes, thank you for commenting on that comment about my Ari cat sketch as an abstract shape. That sank deep yesterday. I sort of knew it from before but after two hours of concentrating on abstract shapes, I looked at my beloved cat and saw the beauty of his exact shape in the exact pose he was in. I feel so free about putting animals in my landscapes now.

That's one of my goals - to bring accurate animal drawings and paintings into my landscapes and create good backgrounds when the animal is the main subject of the painting. It's so liberating. Yesterday was the day that my eyes and hands "got it" long after my brain got it. Now if I want a bobcat to take up 1/3 or 1/4 of the picture area, I can still compose a beautiful painting with him and imply a lot more planes to the landscape, give the bobcat enough room to breathe and run around and hunt, show him in his environment.

Your demo on portraits yesterday with the "helmet-haircut" sketch did a lot to bring that clear in my hands and eyes. Of course with that kind of symmetrical haircut, turn the lady at 3/4 view and her hair stops being an ugly symmetrical shape, becomes an interesting in-and-out abstract shape. That may be some of why 3/4 view is the most flattering angle for portraits. As you pointed out, that works well for buildings too.

Many thanks to everyone who's enjoying my notes, including Bob and Louise who commented in my Notes thread. I asked a moderator to move your thanks to this thread, because my Notes thread is supposed to only contain my Notes to make it easier for people to catch up on reading them, copy them and keep them in chronological order. I do appreciate those thanks and do read and enjoy them every time.

spirothet
02-20-2011, 01:49 PM
I felt very frustrated yesterday. On a few occasions I typed in either a question or comment and when I hit send, the showed up on the question queue in a gray tone, whereas, other questions and answers showed up in green. Please let me know if you are able to see my questions/comments in real time. I don't expect you to address all but know that I am trying to be fully engaged in this process. It has taken me till now to even understand the Wet Canvas site and all the threads. I am also interested in knowing how such elaborate questions are even typed in so quickly after you have made a comment?!? I know you can answer that but it still just amazes me!!

Where can I see a post of the photo you will be painting and in what medium do you plan to use?

sherrysherman
02-20-2011, 02:14 PM
I felt very frustrated yesterday. On a few occasions I typed in either a question or comment and when I hit send, the showed up on the question queue in a gray tone, whereas, other questions and answers showed up in green. Please let me know if you are able to see my questions/comments in real time. I don't expect you to address all but know that I am trying to be fully engaged in this process. It has taken me till now to even understand the Wet Canvas site and all the threads. I am also interested in knowing how such elaborate questions are even typed in so quickly after you have made a comment?!? I know you can answer that but it still just amazes me!!

Where can I see a post of the photo you will be painting and in what medium do you plan to use?

When anyone types in a comment or question, then hits Send, it will show up in that person's box as gray. Only an "organizer" (Ken or Judy or Johannes) can see your question.

IF one of them answers it and clicks to publicly post his answer, THEN both the question and answer will show up in green, and EVERYONE can see it. (Note that while he is actually typing his long elaborate answer, neither the question nor the answer can be seen. Only after he finishes typing will he post it so it is viewable by others.)

The organizer can also choose to send an answer to you privately; in that case the question and answer will show up in YOUR comment box in pink, meaning that you can see it but no one else can.

If the comment or question is not answered (and Ken probably can't answer them all), it will just stay grayed out in your box.

Hope that helped.

Johannes sent out the ref photo via email to everyone registered for the class. Check your in-box and your spam folder.

MissingK8
02-20-2011, 03:56 PM
i was signed onto my computer at 2pm today...then i had to go to the 'justin tv' where 1) glitches wouldn't let me create an account 2) i got booted. 'justin tv' kept asking me to create an account, wouldn't let me, time and time again. then it wouldn't let me sign in thru twitter...i wanted to throw my 'puter.

guess what? i missed out on the live demo. now i realize it's no biggie for many, but the cost of this one class i wanted most of all is hard for me. after cait's illness i just don't have much left. (sorry, i am in the midst of a huge self-pity party...it happens.)

i just enjoyed y'day's class so much! i was really looking forward to today's and now i feel very let down. i know, in the scheme of things it ain't much, but to me it was.

peace, love, rock n roll and all that...
annie

tania_b
02-20-2011, 04:18 PM
I was really looking forward to the painting demo today and now feel so frustrated! I got in, had to refresh the page after about half an hour due to sound and issues and that justintv kicked me off saying the quota for my country was reached and asking for money if I wanted to continue watching it.

And it happened to other people too, as they commented in the chat room ... I hope next time Johannes decides to do a live demo there will be a different system that gives access to more people

:(

Anyway these webinars are great with a lot of information ... just really missing the live demo (which was for the part I could watch breaking up a lot)

carol_lee
02-20-2011, 04:36 PM
I was really looking forward to the painting demo today and now feel so frustrated! I got in, had to refresh the page after about half an hour due to sound and issues and that justintv kicked me off saying the quota for my country was reached and asking for money if I wanted to continue watching it.

And it happened to other people too, as they commented in the chat room ... I hope next time Johannes decides to do a live demo there will be a different system that gives access to more people

:(

Anyway these webinars are great with a lot of information ... just really missing the live demo (which was for the part I could watch breaking up a lot)
I am having the same problem...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2011/58142-Clipboard20.jpg

Its 11:35PM and I will have to rely on Robert's notes and the finished image!!! :crying:

Ruth04
02-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Johannes: English is not my language, I can hardly write, so I can not as I would like to express my gratitude for your kindness in giving these lectures and demonstrations in which I am learning that for over 20 years I have been looking for. God bless you!

bill4faith
02-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Thanks Johannes,
Positively great instruction.
I have been painting watercolor for quite a while, but I needed to discipline myself to do the composition/design work. Your course came along at the right time for me and is very helpful.
I bought Your Artist's Brain at Northlight/FW with the discount code and have read it all--excellent book, such vital points. I also got "Mastering Composition," another essential book, and the DVD helps a lot too.
Thanks again. You're an excellent painter and an awesome teacher.
Bill, Northwest Oregon.

NomadNana
02-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Johannes, I enjoy your lessons so much. The demo's are oh so wonderful. Thank you, Thank you.
NomadNana

artnow1
02-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the great classes, Johannes. I am learning so much!

Srishti
02-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks Johannes for the wonderful class! I took the liberty of painting along...

I didn't realixe you were doing a watercolor landscape until after 3:00 EST. I made a quick decision to go along with it... As a result I didn't have a good drawing....
I didn't see all the glaring compositional mistakes until I took a picture of it to post it here: namely the trees in the left bg are too evenly spaced....
The good thing is I spotted these, even if too late! :o
Do you see anything else?
Overall I am happy with it...
Crits please!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2011/105594-20110223.jpg

mcbru
02-20-2011, 06:26 PM
I wish I could understand the frustration angle from some a little more. Personally, I will take whatever I can get, remember it's free, not perfect. I would think it's fair to say we have all had an occasional issue with the computers, it's still something remarkable that Johannes and Wet Canvas are doing here. We all should be paying $1000's to get this information. Besides, it's all taped, we're going to be able to buy the entire package very soon. Smile, thank the gods of art (Johannes) and keep trying with those pesky machines and Justin TV.

bharti
02-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Johannes,
Thank you sooo much for your really great teaching style! I have really learned a lot since I joined last weekend. Today's painting is beautiful, and I again learned a lot from it.

little miss sunshine
02-20-2011, 06:32 PM
The live painting demos are great. The use of the credit card was done twice. The participant who kept asking about it must have stepped away from the computer, or was reading the postings, and missed it. This technique may be covered under water colors in the Content Area of this site. I have seen it done in an instructional video on the net.

Johannes Instructor
02-20-2011, 06:41 PM

We see all the questions but do not answer all. We do answer the questions that are related to the course in progress though. For other questions plese refer to the question answer thread in this forum. There are around 1000 students during the web class.

Johannes Instructor
02-20-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks Johannes for the wonderful class! I took the liberty of painting along...

I didn't realixe you were doing a watercolor landscape until after 3:00 EST. I made a quick decision to go along with it... As a result I didn't have a good drawing....
I didn't see all the glaring compositional mistakes until I took a picture of it to post it here: namely the trees in the left bg are too evenly spaced....
The good thing is I spotted these, even if too late! :o
Do you see anything else?
Overall I am happy with it...
Crits please!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2011/105594-20110223.jpg

Nice and loose! Way to go. The middle bush appears to float because it is the only hard edged one. Maybe you can glaze water over it to soften it.

Johannes Instructor
02-20-2011, 06:48 PM
I am having the same problem...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2011/58142-Clipboard20.jpg

Its 11:35PM and I will have to rely on Robert's notes and the finished image!!! :crying:

I see this now. we are using a third party system to broadcast the video. I did not know they would want to charge of you are in another country, This obviously would not be revenue for F&W Media or myself. Did anyone else get this warning?

Kumquat
02-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Johannes, I know you've heard this so many times now, but I must tell you how much I appreciate your unselfish sharing of your expertise. I find it amazing that you can multitask with computers and all that electronic hardware, programs, read and answer questions, and still produce such an incredible work of art! Thank you for teaching me so much about the process and the concepts. :cat:

julm
02-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Thank you for ALL the lessons but since I am a watercolorist, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing you paint today. I am currently using aquabord - thank goodness since I have had to erase many cloned objects. But seeing you remove watercolor with a spray bottle was enlightening.

DeboraM
02-20-2011, 06:53 PM
I took screen shots of the demo to watch the progress, but missed the beginning with just the sketch.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2011/198326-A.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2011/198326-B.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2011/198326-D.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2011/198326-F.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2011/198326-G.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2011/198326-H.jpg

Kumquat
02-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Robert, I can't believe you can take such incredible notes and then get them posted so fast on this site! If it were me, I would have had to spend hours just reworking mine to make them presentable enough for others to see. Once again, thank you so much for sharing these--they are invaluable to me! I don't think I would be able to retain as much of the details of Johannes' presentation without them. :thumbsup:

PainterRon
02-20-2011, 07:11 PM
I can paint a little, modesty almost prevents me from mentioning that I have been featured on four sites recently, three of which included the best up and coming watercolorists on the planet and the fourth was a Canadian art blog. I just want to say that I made a resolution to get my compo elements in order and your lessons have been helpful. I thought your demo was good.

mtnrunner
02-20-2011, 07:41 PM
DeboraM, nice screen shots of the process! thanks for sharing.

Johannes, great demo as usual. It was so much fun to watch that I might, gasp, try some watercolors. I particularly like watching the negative painting in the background trees. Such fun to see that area develop.
I have a feeling that if we all started as watercolorists, that we might be better painters in general, because it is necessary to a. plan the composition, and b. simplify shapes and values.
yay, finally got Carl Purcell's book - took a couple of weeks. Very interesting so far. Some ideas in it (our library of mental symbols carried over from childhood, for example) is something i'd already read about. Found that concept particularly enlightening, as it explains why, when a perfectly intelligent, astute, adult is asked to draw something, that they so often come up with a very childish stick figure or lollipop tree - falling back on their accumulated collection of symbols.

I know that if you ask a room full of kindergarteners "who here is a good artist?" that most of them will raise their hands. Ask that same question to a roomful of, say, 6th graders, and only a few will think of themselves as good artists. What happens in those few years to convince most of us that we are no good at drawing?

jmcedeno
02-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Last night, all night, we had a hell of rainstorm but it also left us a gift: when I got up and opened the balcony door this is what was in front of me, WOW!, plenty of abstract shapes, melodic lines, etc. isn't that gorgeous ?http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2011/159973-View_from_my_Balcony-1-IMG_0213.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2011/159973-View_from_my_Balcony-2-IMG_0209.jpg

Johannes Instructor
02-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the great course Johannes. Just wondering is the book Painting with your Artist's Brain published in 2004 the same as Your Artist's Brain. I have had this book for a while and do not want to duplicate. Thanks Diena
yes, you are covered.

Obion
02-20-2011, 08:02 PM
:) I'm so impressed with Johannes online class. I have learnt heaps.
I have done a few water colors and oils before. My first water color painting 2002 @ Manly Studios, with art teacher. But faded heaps now and I now see all the errors. The trees and bushes :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2011/42526-Barbara_Water_clour_painting.jpg

Srishti
02-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks Johannes! Will do....

tuscanni
02-20-2011, 08:49 PM
for some reason I did not receive the email that was sent today for todays live webinar. The email that johannes sent about the webcam and the reference photo. I use yahoo mail and did check my junkmail folder. I got the reminders for the class, but thats it. Did anyone else not get that email?

JOHANNES....thanks so much for giving of your skills and time, to CHANGE THE LIVES of we fellow artists. YOU have changed our lives, since art IS our life. Your webinars are a life changeing experience, for me and I am sure for many others who are attending the webinars. Your instruction IS sinking into our brains and hopefully staying there!
For a very long time, in my paintings, I have seen the puzzle piece shapes and focused on those shapes. All this time, I thought that that was the wrong thing to do. Thanks for letting us know that its okay and ideal to focus on the shapes.
I am one of those artists who keeps doubting herself, I wish I had as much confidense in my work and in myself as you have in yours.
THANKS AGAIN!!
I too bought the first two suggested books
ann becker.....aka A BECK

Johannes Instructor
02-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Johannes,
Thank you for doing this very important lecture series for folks all over the world. Truly a mindful spirit.

You mentioned at last live class (Feb13/11) about the perfect waterfalls photo I posted for abstraction, rhythm, etc but not the triangle in front left or the shape of the circular centre rock formation); also that it was good for painting into another canvas. Enjoy!

It is a photo snapped by many tourists like myself, whom have traveled through Northern Ontario and stopped to explore. Just a little info about this recognizable waterfall in all its beauty:

Kakabeka Falls (pronounced /ˈkɛkəˈbɛkə/) is a waterfall on the Kaministiquia River, located beside the village of Kakabeka Falls in the municipality of Oliver Paipoonge, Ontario, 30 km (19 mi) west of the city of Thunder Bay. (re: wikipedia, so I could get the spelling right, lol)

Use water as a partial fix for the rock formation?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2011/133246-waterfalls_KEKABEKA_Falls_res.jpg
regards
Sandee

Just redesign the shape so it is different on both sides. That will solve it.

MissingK8
02-20-2011, 09:47 PM
I wish I could understand the frustration angle from some a little more. Personally, I will take whatever I can get, remember it's free, not perfect. I would think it's fair to say we have all had an occasional issue with the computers, it's still something remarkable that Johannes and Wet Canvas are doing here. We all should be paying $1000's to get this information. Besides, it's all taped, we're going to be able to buy the entire package very soon. Smile, thank the gods of art (Johannes) and keep trying with those pesky machines and Justin TV.

if you were able to view/take part in the live demo today, i'm sure you cannot understand the frustration of those of us who weren't able. we do recognize the remarkable avenue to learning that both johannes and wet canvas are opening here and not being able to access it is the source of our frustration.

not all of us are able to purchase books we would love to have at will; not all of us are able to purchase tapes/downloads/cds at will...it's just a fact of life. i have ptsd and am just getting back into my art after doing it my entire life...it has taken me almost a decade. y'day's seminar was the most enjoyment i have had in years, literally.

so, yeah, i was disappointed and frustrated at not being able to pass another afternoon that i was looking forward to more than you can probably imagine. i am not saying that with any snarkiness. again, it's just a fact of life; at least, my life.

Sunshine and Flowers
02-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Johannes,

Thank you very much for the WC demo today. It was very, very helpful to see your teaching ideas implemented. :clap:

Allison

Catherine the Great
02-20-2011, 10:25 PM
I personally have not had any issues signing in. I just follow the links that are given to us in Johannes emails as for the spurts and start inthe webinar like the other person said. It's free and you guys sound like you are still working things out.So my adivce to some people is to go with the flow and read your e-mails (that is if you can get the messages). A big thank-you to ALL who are involved and who are trying their best to make things work.
Catherine the Great aka Painturly.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

DonaldRae
02-20-2011, 10:33 PM
I guess I posted my painting on the wrong forum and spelled your name wrong , so I would'nt blame you if you kicked me out , but I am having fun and learning some tips ,I'm 72 years old and paint in pastels most of my life.
Thanks again Johannes.

Johannes Instructor
02-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Here is the painting after some more touches and a little computer tweaking to correct photo loss. I always have to paint over the darks. The camera brings it past a value 8
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2011/135220-Hidden_Falls_Footbridge.jpg

mtnrunner
02-20-2011, 11:55 PM
Beautiful!

Pinklady219
02-21-2011, 12:06 AM
Johannes, I like what you did to resolve the "ghost tree." I see you just made more of them. hahaha
The original one did take my attention from the focal point. Thank you for today. Carol:wave:

Johannes Instructor
02-21-2011, 12:07 AM
if you were able to view/take part in the live demo today, i'm sure you cannot understand the frustration of those of us who weren't able. we do recognize the remarkable avenue to learning that both johannes and wet canvas are opening here and not being able to access it is the source of our frustration.

not all of us are able to purchase books we would love to have at will; not all of us are able to purchase tapes/downloads/cds at will...it's just a fact of life. i have ptsd and am just getting back into my art after doing it my entire life...it has taken me almost a decade. y'day's seminar was the most enjoyment i have had in years, literally.

so, yeah, i was disappointed and frustrated at not being able to pass another afternoon that i was looking forward to more than you can probably imagine. i am not saying that with any snarkiness. again, it's just a fact of life; at least, my life.

What went wrong?

Johannes Instructor
02-21-2011, 12:09 AM
Just for the record. Some of you are telling me you got your email from me much later in the day. I want you to know that I sent out the emails before 10:00 AM which was 5 hours before the class began.

carol_lee
02-21-2011, 12:47 AM
This obviously would not be revenue for F&W Media or myself.
I fully realize this... not blaming you or F&W I kept clicking the re-load and could get glimpses for less than a minute... gave up at 11:45PM[my time] Thank goodness for Robert's notes and a few screens I was able to make...

May try my hand with watercolors..... use some water soluble crayons I have as a first step...

Thanks
Carol

MissingK8
02-21-2011, 01:19 AM
What went wrong?

johannes: please know that i am not 'blaming' you or anyone, just stating that i was very frustrated and disappointed. i know it wasn't your fault and do not want to give that thought any play at all.

i did receive your e-mail in a timely manner. i logged onto the webinar site at 2pm...i heard the 'behind the scenes' banter until it was shut off. then i tried to get onto the 'kevin tv' (it's late here; i think that's the name) and firstly i couldn't post as it was telling me to either log in or create and account...it wouldn't let me do either (i couldn't use my twitter account as it says i could)...so i thought i'd just watch, but then it wouldn't even let me do that, just kept putting up the 'log in or create account' window, which didn't let me do anything. some suggested trying thru the webinar site, but the window closed and i couldn't get back in.

i tried for almost 20 minutes but was ready to throw the 'puter out the window when i thot it would be better to give up on it.

i have pm'd you (a short one as i know how busy you are) explaining why this whole thing has meant so much to me and thanking you for your effort, time and the sharing of your skills. if you find time to read it, it will perhaps explain why i was so upset and have trouble handling what may appear as small setbacks to some.

again, not with you, not with wet canvas...just with THINGS, y'know? anyways, onwards and upwards, eh??

best,
annie

tuscanni
02-21-2011, 02:30 AM
FYI.....the email from sundays webinar finally showed up tonight, sometime after 8pm. Since I am using yahoo email, it might be a yahoo issue and definately wasnt an issue with the instructor. It would have been nice to have it sooner, but we cant always control technology.
Unfortunately I wont be able to make it to the next webinar because I have to be out of town on business. I think that I might have art instruction withdrawal LOL
Thanks Robert, for all the great class notes you have taken and have shared with us. You are a gem :) I will rely on those for the upcoming webinar next weekend that I will unfortunately be missing.
ann

mooz49
02-21-2011, 02:39 AM
Here is the painting after some more touches and a little computer tweaking to correct photo loss. I always have to paint over the darks. The camera brings it past a value 8
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2011/135220-Hidden_Falls_Footbridge.jpgAwesome! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I so enjoyed watching this beautiful painting unfold last night ..... you are doing a wonderful job Johannes. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Remember that “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

northbank
02-21-2011, 03:22 AM
I really enjoyed seeing the demo in watercolor. Also, thanks for posting the final tweaked image, it is luscious. Thanks to Johannes and F&W for the marvelous opportunity to participate in this series.
Sincerely, Diane

Colorix
02-21-2011, 03:57 AM
I wish I could understand the frustration angle from some a little more.... We all should be paying $1000's to get this information.

John, while I do agree with what you say, maybe I can shine some light on why it is frustrating that Justin TV acts up. After 30 minutes of watching, it suddenly demands money as the "quota" for one's country is "full". If it works for 30 minutes, then it would work for hours. If the "quota" is filled, then why would it work if I pay? They simply interrupt in order to get money, obviously arbitrarily as others in 'my country' could watch (and another one of us had the problem in the previous demo). So, if they provide a 'free' service, it should stay free. Of course a business needs to earn money, and I'm often quite willing to pay, but not when they use methods like this. I rather pay to F+W, and Johannes, so the recording it will be!

Colorix
02-21-2011, 04:04 AM
I see this now. we are using a third party system to broadcast the video. I did not know they would want to charge of you are in another country, This obviously would not be revenue for F&W Media or myself. Did anyone else get this warning?
Johannes, this happens to a random number of watchers, in the US too. I got it yesterday and had to give up, while it worked fine for Björn. In a previous demo, Björn got it, but not I. Someone from upstate NY got it. This time, someone from Swizerland *could* watch, but not the previous time.

So, it is random, and the aim is to get us to sign up for a pro account at Justin. It kicks in after about 30 minutes.

Got it shortly after 3 pm, but got rid of it, and then it returned some 20-30 minutes later and couldn't get rid of it, *regardless* of which way I entered the demo, including from cyberartlearning.com.

And if someone thinks it is because I'm a newbie, well, it is not. It worked fantastically well during December, and up til now. I was signed in, logged in, in good time, and in the right places. And, yes, I can live with it. And yes, it is a good idea for newbies to work it all out before the class starts.

Cherrie
02-21-2011, 06:26 AM
Johannes,
Thank you so much for the watercolor (!) demonstation yesterday. I love your style of painting. I paticularly appreciated the negative painting examples as I find this very difficult to comprehend. I understand the process until it is time to paint and then find it hard to visualize how to do it. Hopefully this will come with time and practice. I have tried the examples of painting trees in the woods and get lost after a few trees.
By the way, so far I have been able to attend all the classes and have had no trouble getting in. I did have small amount of audio delay yesterday but not enough to hinder.
Thanks again!

bjornjo
02-21-2011, 07:17 AM
i would talk with them missing 800-900 "customers" who view their adds for 2 hours or more should bring them quite a good money instead of their greedynes that in the end, in your move away from them. That you suddenly get booted after 30 min is the strange part yes and that after and refresh you get kicked out that i accidently did is poor technique that is so easy fixed
srishti your painting was very nice and johannes also altough i missed the final touches since i dident felt update all the time

elisamaria
02-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Johannes, it was such an entertaining and instructive class your watercolor demo. The painting is so harmonic, something my eyes can have a rest and just stay there watching and listening to the water, so beautiful.
I want to thank you, Johannes, for your excellent teaching methods which includes all I can think of, lecturing with photoshop and your own drawings, other people´s photos and painting, good ref books, handouts, life demos. My best teacher ever.:heart:

I have been so lucky not having had any problems watching the webinar and demos. I am in Sweden, getting e-mails and all reminders in time. (When I registered myself at WC the confirmation of the registration went to spam box which I immediately alter as a "no spam" mail. )

I am so grateful to you all in this great team- Johannes, WC, F&W and the contributors. I understood that this time Johannes´s assistent in the studio was his son. So nice. THANK YOU ALL.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Robert, you are such a faithful and loyal loving person, sharing your notes both in words and informative good drawings. I collect them and may be I should be a collector of abstract shapes as well. Thank you so much!

Elisabeth

Johannes Instructor
02-21-2011, 09:02 AM
John, while I do agree with what you say, maybe I can shine some light on why it is frustrating that Justin TV acts up. After 30 minutes of watching, it suddenly demands money as the "quota" for one's country is "full". If it works for 30 minutes, then it would work for hours. If the "quota" is filled, then why would it work if I pay? They simply interrupt in order to get money, obviously arbitrarily as others in 'my country' could watch (and another one of us had the problem in the previous demo). So, if they provide a 'free' service, it should stay free. Of course a business needs to earn money, and I'm often quite willing to pay, but not when they use methods like this. I rather pay to F+W, and Johannes, so the recording it will be!

After 30 minutes does it stay off?or you just reboot the browser again and it plays another 30 minutes?

Johannes Instructor
02-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Johannes, this happens to a random number of watchers, in the US too. I got it yesterday and had to give up, while it worked fine for Björn. In a previous demo, Björn got it, but not I. Someone from upstate NY got it. This time, someone from Swizerland *could* watch, but not the previous time.

So, it is random, and the aim is to get us to sign up for a pro account at Justin. It kicks in after about 30 minutes.

Got it shortly after 3 pm, but got rid of it, and then it returned some 20-30 minutes later and couldn't get rid of it, *regardless* of which way I entered the demo, including from cyberartlearning.com.

And if someone thinks it is because I'm a newbie, well, it is not. It worked fantastically well during December, and up til now. I was signed in, logged in, in good time, and in the right places. And, yes, I can live with it. And yes, it is a good idea for newbies to work it all out before the class starts.
Ok next time I wll use livestream.com. They have commercial breaks like TV but at least you don't get totally dumped. It seems like they changed their way of doing this. We never had a problem last year. I'm sorry all. I was not aware of this change they did.

Grainne
02-21-2011, 09:18 AM
I was thrilled yesterday when you announced that the demo would be in watercolor! Over the moon actually :D
And I enjoyed every second of your demonstration. You are so deft at handling the watercolor medium. I believe you said your son tells you that watercolor is your medium. I agree with him!

Your ease of dealing with the eccentricities of watercolor is magical to watch, and you interact with whatever happens when paint hits water on the paper so confidently. Your brushwork is poetical. And the final painting is beautiful, everything a watercolor should be, IMO, fresh, lively, and lovely. Some watercolorists try to tame the medium, beat it into submission, but that deadens its qualities. But you "went with the flow," just as the medium requires.

On the other hand, there are watercolorists who work with it so loosely that it becomes rather amorphous and ill-organized so that the medium is unable to speak its own language. To me, that's sad.

There was some question about the degree of detail in the initial drawing, as if for some inexplicable reason that somehow negates the artistry of working in watercolor. I did not understand that! It's what the artist is able to do within the marked out design of the drawing that demonstrates his skill and creativity, not whether he is able to work with a skimpy drawing.

It's the balance between design and magic that gives us watercolor at its best.

Thanks for the treat for us watercolorists :)

Grainne "Kaye"

Johannes Instructor
02-21-2011, 09:47 AM
I was thrilled yesterday when you announced that the demo would be in watercolor! Over the moon actually :D
And I enjoyed every second of your demonstration. You are so deft at handling the watercolor medium. I believe you said your son tells you that watercolor is your medium. I agree with him!

Your ease of dealing with the eccentricities of watercolor is magical to watch, and you interact with whatever happens when paint hits water on the paper so confidently. Your brushwork is poetical. And the final painting is beautiful, everything a watercolor should be, IMO, fresh, lively, and lovely. Some watercolorists try to tame the medium, beat it into submission, but that deadens its qualities. But you "went with the flow," just as the medium requires.

On the other hand, there are watercolorists who work with it so loosely that it becomes rather amorphous and ill-organized so that the medium is unable to speak its own language. To me, that's sad.

There was some question about the degree of detail in the initial drawing, as if for some inexplicable reason that somehow negates the artistry of working in watercolor. I did not understand that! It's what the artist is able to do within the marked out design of the drawing that demonstrates his skill and creativity, not whether he is able to work with a skimpy drawing.

It's the balance between design and magic that gives us watercolor at its best.

Thanks for the treat for us watercolorists :)

Grainne "Kaye"

Thanks! It takes one to know one. You understand the medium.

LynnM
02-21-2011, 10:03 AM
As a watercolourist, I second Grainne's comments. It is such a boon to be able to watch an expert work, no amount of reading or diagrams or photos can replace that. Thank you, Johannes! I am finding it is all wound up in confidence, you know what to do when it isn't looking quite right. We will get that confidence as we paint more, knowing it is possible.

On the technical side, I had the same problems when I first watched your demos. I couldn't create an account from your JustinTV site. So I went to their main site of justintv.com, and created an account there...no cost or anything. Then I am automatically logged in when I follow your link, and I don't have any problems now. I don't know how that would work for other countries.

NorthCarolinaStudent
02-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Johannes, I am so glad you made that bridge straight. The original bridge was driving me nuts. I'm still not sold on your less than deep values, but will experiment on my own. Thank you for bringing landscape painting into my life. I do close up studies of flowers and my next painting will be a landscape.

buddingartist
02-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Johannes, thank you so very much for another great weekend. I am learning sooooo much. Can't wait to get my 2 books:crying:

Even though I don't do watercolor, I so enjoyed your live demo and the painting is fabulous. I had it on <expanded screen< most of the time and it was facinating to watch your brushstroke technique up close.

Like many others, I experienced some sound and screen freezing and I missed the part when you explained why you had decided to leave the <straight lines< on the bridge. All I got was <I originally had it as a round> then lost everything. Could you or someone who caught the explanation explain please?

Also, I was very happy to see your sketch and was amazed at how many details went into it. Would you be as elaborate in your sketch for an oil painting?

Thank you Johannes, Kenneth and Judy:thumbsup: :clap:

Louise

jakter
02-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Thank you! I enjoyed the demo and learned several things I hadn't thought of before, like the "no fly zone". I truly look forward to the rest of the demos!!!!

I didn't enjoy the critique going on before you were even into the painting! It was as if a few people were waiting for you to make a mistake!

crazywoman53
02-21-2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the class yesterday. Each one continues to reinforce the lessons you provided us with in December. I was notified in a timely manner and didn't have any problem getting into Justin but it did kick me off right near the end. I was able to shut down and reload and get back in but I saw 99% of the demo before it did it to me. I think the final painting turned out lovely. There is only one stroke I question and that it the square shaped shadow on the left foreground rock. Now that you have us looking for such lines that one grabbed my eye. I am thinking I may dig my watercolors out and see if I remember anything about painting with them since it has been awhile since I used them. Thanks again Johannes!

Carol(SA)
02-21-2011, 10:17 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2011/135220-Hidden_Falls_Footbridge.jpg

Stunning Painting and a truly wonderful evenings Demo - Thank You:clap:

crazywoman53
02-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Louise.... the straight line of the bridge was needed because all landscapes need a bit of a straight line somewhere in the painting to provide stability. Since there were no other straight lines in this particular painting he changed the curved bridge to a straight one to provide that line.

elsie50
02-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Thank you so much for the weekend webinar.Johannes.. I thoroughly enjoyed my first ever one... I am sorry for the people who complained, they kept losing you... I am in the UK,, and apart from your Goodbye, I was with you the whole time.... but to be honest,, with that many people from so many different countries, I would expect the occasional gliche.. but again, Thank you so much for sharing... Elsie

sylvia
Great painting Johannes really well done. I missed your explanation about a "fly zone" and have never heard the expression before. Any one with an explaination???

spirothet
Johannes,

Thanks for the great demo. I was one of the lucky ones that got to see the entire demo uninterrupted. In the span of 2 1/2 hours you made it look so easy, yet having tried watercolor painting, I realize how difficult it actually is. The end result is absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing your techniques and giving us the opportunity to see your teachings applied. I look forward to next weekend.

Carol(SA)
02-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Stunning painting and truly wonderful evening - THANK YOU Johannes!!!

DeniseWeston
02-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Thank you Johannes for so generously sharing your wisdom with us. I love this painting and I really enjoyed watching you paint it. I learned a great deal that I am confident will help me in my own work.

Carol(SA)
02-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Sylvia, I think it is "no fly zone" and I think it refers to the corner areas where there should not be too much detail! Please correct me if I am wrong! First time I have heard the expression as well.

Johannes Instructor
02-21-2011, 10:29 AM
Johannes, I am so glad you made that bridge straight. The original bridge was driving me nuts. I'm still not sold on your less than deep values, but will experiment on my own. Thank you for bringing landscape painting into my life. I do close up studies of flowers and my next painting will be a landscape.

Show me a tree or anything in nature that you would see with your naked eye (not photos) that is darker than a value 8. It cannot be an indentation under a rock or the accent ot an evergreen tree or a wet rock. So if you paint the way the eye sees, not the way the photo looks, and you go outdoors in BROAD DAYLIGHT not when the sun sets and see anything that is a full subject at a value 8 I would be suprised.

Johannes Instructor
02-21-2011, 10:29 AM
Sylvia, I think it is "no fly zone" and I think it refers to the corner areas where there should not be too much detail! Please correct me if I am wrong! First time I have heard the expression as well.
Corners and sides, especially the bottom margin.

dustypapillon
02-21-2011, 10:30 AM
It's a lovely painting Johannes! I wish I could have stayed online at Justin TV to see it, but it was so frustrating (yes, I just read your explanative email) to attempt to listen to the cut-in:cut-out audio...I left the site. I have watched demos on livestream before so hopefully you will have more success there! Pattie

Johannes Instructor
02-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Johannes, thank you so very much for another great weekend. I am learning sooooo much. Can't wait to get my 2 books:crying:

Even though I don't do watercolor, I so enjoyed your live demo and the painting is fabulous. I had it on <expanded screen< most of the time and it was facinating to watch your brushstroke technique up close.

Like many others, I experienced some sound and screen freezing and I missed the part when you explained why you had decided to leave the <straight lines< on the bridge. All I got was <I originally had it as a round> then lost everything. Could you or someone who caught the explanation explain please?

Also, I was very happy to see your sketch and was amazed at how many details went into it. Would you be as elaborate in your sketch for an oil painting?

Thank you Johannes, Kenneth and Judy:thumbsup: :clap:

Louise

I only sketch the abstract shapes.

Colorix
02-21-2011, 10:34 AM
After 30 minutes does it stay off?or you just reboot the browser again and it plays another 30 minutes?
Rebooting gives 20 to 30 seconds of visual, and 10 - 15 of audio. Then the demand for pay pops up again. (I propbably rebooted 20 times, and the same thing happened.)

Great we're moving services!

Johannes Instructor
02-21-2011, 10:38 AM

I need to know if you actually refreshed your browser. I got an email telling me that someone out of the USA had interrupted video but reopened the browser and that bought him another 20 minutes. Did you try that?

ToucanSam
02-21-2011, 10:44 AM
:clap: Thanks Johannes for taking the time and patience to try to deal with teaching so many people at once! As a non-watercolorist, it was interesting to watch, though I was more focused on your handling the watercolors than the compositional issues. But that's just me! :)
I had no problems viewing the entire demo...but when I would make a (rare) occasional comment, it would ask me to sign in again after i typed my comment. I ignored the login request and just kept watching. :thumbsup:

Your final work is fantastic! Any chance you'll be doing something similar in pastels or acrylics/oils so I'll quit watching the water on the canvas and pay attention to all you've been teaching us? :D

I ordered the first book and really like it. Will probably order the second one as soon as I can.

Thanks again!!!!!

Laura

Johannes Instructor
02-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks Johannes for taking the time and patience to deal with try to teach so many people at once! As a non-watercolorist, it was interesting to watch, though I was more focused on your handling the watercolors than the compositional issues. But that's just me! :)
I had no problems viewing the entire demo...but when I would make a (rare) occasional comment, it would ask me to sign in again after i typed my comment. I ignored the login request and just kept watching.

Your final work is fantastic! Any chance you'll be doing something similar in pastels or acrylics/oils so I'll quit watching the water on the canvas and pay attention to all you've been teaching us? :)

I ordered the first book and really like it. Will probably order the second one as soon as I can.

Thanks again!!!!!

Laura
A pastel demo is up for batting next.

ToucanSam
02-21-2011, 10:47 AM
A pastel demo is up for batting next.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap:

Sunny7
02-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks Johannes, so much for these classes! I painted along with you yesterday using the colors you suggested (in oils) and it taught me much about how to do "abstract shapes", something I never understood before. I learn best by doing, so it was a wonderful experience. Thank you for turning that light on for me.

just having fun
02-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Johannes I started painting last year at the age of 67 and have learned a lot from yesterdays demo!, see you can teach an old dog new tricks. I hope in the future Wet Canvas and you can do a series of watercolor classes. And lastly I want to thank you and wet canvas an FM for this great series.

Johannes Instructor
02-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Oh my the forum is loaded with compliments! I am so grateful to you. Thanks so much for trusting me to be your instructor. I know we are definitely on the right track with these principles. Please let your art friends know about this so they can join as well. This has to grow and grow so more people will improve their paintings!

gpd2543
02-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Johannes,, I have always wanted to take art courses but am a full time caregiver of a handicapped husband. So between being unable to get out of the house much, and the cost of art courses, I can't believe my good fortune at finding your site. I am learning so much. You make it very understandable.
Thankyou so much!!

raxu
02-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Oh my the forum is loaded with compliments. I am so grateful to you. Thanks so much for trusting me to be your instructor. I know we are definitely on the right track.

Johannes, I had no problems whatsoever to watch your demo last night (middle european time). Fascinating... as I am quite a beginning watercolorist myself my eyes were glued to the screen, I think at some time I did not breath at all :) . I always thought landscapes are not "my thing" but you already made me addicted to them, and I see abstract forms, supbowls, worms and triangles as well as solutions everywhere :lol: :evil: . Unfortunately I cannot attend next weekend, yet after that, wild horses cannot keep me away from your golden nuggets wisdom.
Thanks you so much, you are great!

jillmc3
02-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Johannes, I can't thank you enough for your willingness to share your gift and your secrets with us! I've only attended two online classes so far, but I've learned so much and can't wait for the next one!

Thanks, also, to Wet Canvas for all they are doing to bring these workshops to us.

Greatblu
02-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Thank you so much for the great demo. I've done water color years ago, but went back to oil, my first love. I really appreciate the class and hate to miss any of it. Only thing, I don't know how one reads the chat going on and concentrates on what's going on with the painting. :) Not so much of a big deal, I just blocked off the chat window part of the thim. Thanks again. It was great!

jachang
02-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Johannes,

I am one of the lucky ones who was able to see the entire demo without any gliches at all.:clap: Thank you so much for providing us this fabulous training!

You are truly a master at this, and I can only hope that some will rub off as I try to get better at watercolors.

If I had any complaint about the webinar, for me it was the incessant "chatting" all through it. I was relieved when I found out I could just close the chat window, since it was so distracting.

What was frustrating, though, was that so many were busy making comments to each other that they weren't paying attention, then they'd end up asking questions that you already covered, but they didn't hear because they were chatting. Geez, did they do that back in high school, too?

Kenny asked, then begged, for people to only type relevant things, but many people just ignored that and continued to talk about where they're from, practice their foreign language skills, the weather, etc. Well, you know.

Is there any way to make it like it is on the live "go-to-webinar" site, where you can't see the others' questions, and therefore the needless chatting is eliminated? Just a thought that may help to keep things focused.

Thanks again for a wonderful demo!

Jean

Jean50
02-21-2011, 11:27 AM
I was one of those who did not get all my email from Johannes. I did not get the reference photo email until Mon morning.!! But thankfully I got to see the demo and now having both the reference photo and the finished painting, I am able to really take in what I saw him do. Oh how lucky we are to have this. THANK YOU JOHANNES AND WET CANVAS.!!! Oh by the way, I got my books in less than a week.

JanDBurton
02-21-2011, 11:33 AM
I like the way you resolved the issue with the end of the dead tree and the ghost tree. When I look at the finished painting, I can hear the waterfall! Thank you for your kindness in sharing with us home bodies. I can live with the glitches now and then, as long as you keep giving. God bless.

billy boy
02-21-2011, 11:47 AM
:grouphug: Dear Johannes, Wet Canvas and everybody else that are taking their very precious and personal time to put this together for all of us.

Many many thanks to all of you. I am very grateful for your generosity.
I have learned so much and would not be able to attend any classes,
or buy any books. At least not until this economy recovers.

Johannes, You are an awesome teacher, very gifted. Thank you so much
for your time and talent. I love your art.................

:angel: Terry

Artistic License
02-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Thank you for the incredible watercolor demo you gave to all of us. No complaints here. I have learned more from you in a few sessions than I have in several years of classes.

pat-trew
02-21-2011, 11:52 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2011/135220-Hidden_Falls_Footbridge.jpgTHE ONLY THING LEFT TO SAY IS WOW

judyfilarecki
02-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Thank you for a terrific demo. I've learned so much in just the two weeks I've been on your program. One of my paintings was sitting next to the computer during the show last week and as you made suggestions, I checked my painting and sure enough there were answers to problems that were bugging me. The fact that photos do not show reducing values for things in the background which are really not that far away has always been a problem for me. Lightening the value slightly put hte background right where it was supposed to be. I haven't done many watercolors, but I might just give them a try after seeing your demo. Thanks again

Johannes Instructor
02-21-2011, 11:56 AM
I like the way you resolved the issue with the end of the dead tree and the ghost tree. When I look at the finished painting, I can hear the waterfall! Thank you for your kindness in sharing with us home bodies. I can live with the glitches now and then, as long as you keep giving. God bless.
AH!! I succeeded! This is what painting is about. It is not about making a place look real but to stimulate your mind to imagine something, much like poetry! Now I know at least with you the painting was successful because it caused that reaction. The viewer participated!

Johannes Instructor
02-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Johannes,

I am one of the lucky ones who was able to see the entire demo without any gliches at all.:clap: Thank you so much for providing us this fabulous training!

You are truly a master at this, and I can only hope that some will rub off as I try to get better at watercolors.

If I had any complaint about the webinar, for me it was the incessant "chatting" all through it. I was relieved when I found out I could just close the chat window, since it was so distracting.

What was frustrating, though, was that so many were busy making comments to each other that they weren't paying attention, then they'd end up asking questions that you already covered, but they didn't hear because they were chatting. Geez, did they do that back in high school, too?

Kenny asked, then begged, for people to only type relevant things, but many people just ignored that and continued to talk about where they're from, practice their foreign language skills, the weather, etc. Well, you know.

Is there any way to make it like it is on the live "go-to-webinar" site, where you can't see the others' questions, and therefore the needless chatting is eliminated? Just a thought that may help to keep things focused.

Thanks again for a wonderful demo!

Jean
Unfortunately I need the chat window to see the questions. Next time I will make sure that they are read out loud to me for all to hear so you don't need to read that chat window and can close it.

swingeniron
02-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Jo

You should have no doubt, at all, about your ability as an artist. The few technical difficulties we are having should not deter you at all.
I have known you for many many years and have never found you anything but a super artist but most importantly a super person.
Kepp plugging lad and tell Kenny to stay by your side LOL

Cal Warren

Johannes Instructor
02-21-2011, 12:15 PM
You can see the reference photo which inspired me to do the painting here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/276037040/sizes/l/in/photostream/

sherrysherman
02-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Unfortunately I need the chat window to see the questions. Next time I will make sure that they are read out loud to me for all to hear so you don't need to read that chat window and can close it.

Also, it would help if the reader could keep up as much as possible, so that he is reading questions when they first appear.

One thing that happened yesterday is that a question would go unanswered, so it would be asked half a dozen or more times over an extended period of time. Then it would finally get read and you would answer. Then several minutes later, the reader would read the question again (because of how many times it was asked), and you would answer again.

Or you would have moved on a long ways from an issue, then the question would get read and it would be about something you had already covered or addressed in the painting, so it wasn't really relevant anymore.

I think having the questions read as they come up would help a lot with this.

T13 St Jean
02-21-2011, 12:17 PM
I already have the 1st book Your Artists brain and will order Mastering Composition. Do you have any book on color theory that you would recommend?

I just want to add my thank you for all these wonderful live broadcasts. Your generosity in sharing your knowledge with the whole world is just incredible. Your passion for art is contagious. Merci merci merci.
Thérèse

tvandeb
02-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Thank you for the great demo yesterday. Had a few problems with hearing but I logged out of the webinar, and had no problems afterwards. I really liked how you showed us how to do the painting in pieces like a puzzle, I;ve never seen a demo done before like that, and its something I'm going to try on a couple of pieces I'm working on this week. I learned alot from the demo, and for some reason I could see the abstract shapes better in your painting, then looking at my photos all week. I know what to look for now. Thank you.:thumbsup:

winecountry
02-21-2011, 12:19 PM

great idea, Kenny's answers are really worth reading but I don't like all the distractions either,....I do like the webinar style where we only see the question and answer

JFountain
02-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Johannes your class is great. I've learned so much from you. I'm so glad I took this course. I struggled with landscapes for, years you gave me such a better understanding. I'm positive my landscape paintings will be so much better thanks to you. I know it was a couple of problems but it didn't effect me much. I just was a better listener yesterday.

Johannes Instructor
02-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Thank you for the great demo yesterday. Had a few problems with hearing but I logged out of the webinar, and had no problems afterwards. I really liked how you showed us how to do the painting in pieces like a puzzle, I;ve never seen a demo done before like that, and its something I'm going to try on a couple of pieces I'm working on this week. I learned alot from the demo, and for some reason I could see the abstract shapes better in your painting, then looking at my photos all week. I know what to look for now. Thank you.:thumbsup:

That's why I did this painting. So you could assess the conversion into abstract design.

DonaldRae
02-21-2011, 12:29 PM
waterfall demo small .jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=671062&stc=1&d=1298309099)

I painted this in pastels along with Johannes ,only I did'nt have a picture or sketch in front of me , I simply followed his strokes with my pastels, its 12"x16" on light blue sanded pastel paper. I have not done anything to the painting since the class closed. C&C welcome.

Ruthie57
02-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Great demo, Johannes! It almost makes me want to try watercolour again. And next time pastel :clap: :clap:

I checked out the chat from time to time but mostly I watched the demo full screen, no chat no adverts no distractions.

NomadNana
02-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Johannes, your watercolor was beautiful, I only do oil but I enjoyed every minute of you demo. I learned so much..comparing your painting to the photo you really improved on nature. NomadNana

Colorix
02-21-2011, 01:06 PM
I need to know if you actually refreshed your browser. I got an email telling me that someone out of the USA had interrupted video but reopened the browser and that bought him another 20 minutes. Did you try that?

Yes, several times.
I've had no problems whatsoever in all the previous webcam demos. But I've seen in the chat-window that other people have had it.

tania_b
02-21-2011, 01:20 PM

I tried reloading the web page and closing the demo opening another, I also tried different links provided by users in the chat, but that pop up asking for monye came up every 20-30 seconds .... I had to quit the demo sadly, I was able to watch only the first 20 minutes, which I enjoyed very much.

I never thought it was something due to F&W or you, I know it was that Justin.tv thing and it occured to many other people as I could see in the chat. Yes, the chat continued to work, just the video was obscured.

And I was one of those who got the email in time, a few hours before. I joined the webinar and the webcam live an hour before it started.

I just have one question about the next live demo: you say the new sercice you will be using wil only have like TV-ads and won't kick anybody out: I suppose this ads will pause the video ... I mean when they are over the demo will continue from the pint it was interrupted, right? Like in TV-ads.

Thanks for the great lessons.

mozapony
02-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Johannes:
Wow! I must say the most important thing I learn from you is the meaning of

"abstract painting".

For some months now I've seriously been thinking about painting abstract to break away from the mold of tradition (but even an abstract painter is within it's own herd) so therein the discontent. Don't get me wrong I love these and all painters who express and create.

However, I could not yet justify with my little experience, a whole canvas/paper looking like an alien has landed and given the code to some other worldly message. So I've been stuck thinking at the impasse, not painting too much but whatever I had to under pressure, like greet cards. I've many larger watercolor paintings half done (at the ugly stage, I suppose) but in the universal plan of things I see reasoning and the way forward to meet "abstraction" now. Truly all thanks go to you for showing up and bringing:

"an abstract painting gift of knowledge"

How could anything else be any better? There is a new contentment about knowing that when the student is ready the teacher will show up. The universe sometimes takes it time in the patience of waiting.

And the best part about all this is that it's not an Abstract Alien full of confusion and planned chaos, but a method that brings an understanding of how beauty defines itself in a painting's scheme by using little abstractions linked together. And the shift of appreciation to that beauty is from within (in consciousness) to a full experience in responding to art. Fascinating stuff. I get it!!! and perhaps know why you are here at this moment and not 20 years ago.
regards
Sandee

Grainne
02-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Also, it would help if the reader could keep up as much as possible, so that he is reading questions when they first appear.

I don't know how he kept up as well as he did, having to sort through all the chit-chat which moved so fast and obscured the real questions. I felt quite sorry for him. Must have been very frustrating for him with people ignoring his requests to ask only relevant questions, and to type only the questions in caps. I'm sure while he was trying to figure out which was a question, the chat screen had moved further and further down, with the original question out of view. In the meantime several other questions had been asked.

Too bad there cannot be aother separate window for those who are there primarily for the chat, and keep that window dedicated to the real questions. Also the questions are supposed to be related to the topic/subject at hand, are they not?

Except for a couple of times I kept the demo on full screen, watching Johannes paint which was what I was there for. I knew any questions could and would be answered here in the WetCanvas forum.

Then the "gotcha games" began . . . :o

thurn
02-21-2011, 01:45 PM
I am a retired person that has waited decades to have the time for creative endeavors. Thank you for this class. I have been trying for over a year to get specific instructions about what makes a good design. I have read books (three) and contacted local art teachers...thank you, thank you this class came at exactly the right time for me!:clap:

patsy

Johannes Instructor
02-21-2011, 01:45 PM
I don't know how he kept up as well as he did, having to sort through all the chit-chat which moved so fast and obscured the real questions. I felt quite sorry for him. Must have been very frustrating for him with people ignoring his requests to ask only relevant questions, and to type only the questions in caps. I'm sure while he was trying to figure out which was a question, the chat screen had moved further and further down, with the original question out of view. In the meantime several other questions had been asked.

Too bad there cannot be aother separate window for those who are there primarily for the chat, and keep that window dedicated to the real questions. Also the questions are supposed to be related to the topic/subject at hand, are they not?

Except for a couple of times I kept the demo on full screen, watching Johannes paint which was what I was there for. I knew any questions could and would be answered here in the WetCanvas forum.

Then the "gotcha games" began . . . :o

Next time I am providing a separate window apart from that screen so they chat away.

Grainne
02-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Next time I am providing a separate window apart from that screen so they chat away.

:thumbsup:

Colorix
02-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Did some digging on justin, and found out that when there are more than 1000 viewers, this interruption can happen. It is fully automated. When I was kicked out, there were 523 viewers (in our program), and when I gave up after 15 minutes, it had increased to some 870 something, so obviously there was room for those... (Edit: numbers may not be correct, I have bad memory for them.)

The interruption can also happen when their server is overloaded, by the total sum of streams (all other channels). They give priority to paying customers. So if I pay, I get to see, and I guess another non-paying person gets bumped off the end of the bench. Seems non-US people get bumped first, but on the other hand, we're less likely to click on the US ads.

Explains why the 'pay now' button was so large.

I also found the terms of sale and of service to be an interesting read. In fact, I've never seen anything like it!

Valerie214
02-21-2011, 02:10 PM
I was watching from Frederick, Md. Most went well, but the last 45 min or so, I would loose the demo and just have a photo showing, then 5 - 10 min later the demo would come back. Then I lost it for good near the end!

billy boy
02-21-2011, 02:16 PM
:thumbsup: Dear Johannes,

Your ability to go from left to right and right to left brain, ie; designing and teaching amazed me. Very impressive..........................

harospro
02-21-2011, 02:19 PM
I really enjoyed watching you paint. As a newbie watercolorist I never know where to start in my painting. You gave a lot of pointers and great hints. Thanks for sharing your expertise and knowledge. I'm looking forward to the next session.

Johannes Instructor
02-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Did some digging on justin, and found out that when there are more than 1000 viewers, this interruption can happen. It is fully automated. When I was kicked out, there were 523 viewers (in our program), and when I gave up after 15 minutes, it had increased to some 870 something, so obviously there was room for those... (Edit: numbers may not be correct, I have bad memory for them.)

The interruption can also happen when their server is overloaded, by the total sum of streams (all other channels). They give priority to paying customers. So if I pay, I get to see, and I guess another non-paying person gets bumped off the end of the bench. Seems non-US people get bumped first, but on the other hand, we're less likely to click on the US ads.

Explains why the 'pay now' button was so large.

I also found the terms of sale and of service to be an interesting read. In fact, I've never seen anything like it!

Do you have the link for that info. Now in the worse case they were only charging $1.99 for the one day event.