PDA

View Full Version : Nude Redux

Diana Lee
02-13-2011, 12:37 PM
When I was doing nothing but oil paintings and I would find myself in a stall, (painters block) I would paint an image I had already painted, but felt it could be improved. It would prime the pump, so to speak. I decided to do the same thing only in scratchboard. I was never satisfied with the first attempt of this piece and I do like this one so much better. Plus it felt good scratching again.
It was interesting to see how much my technique had developed since the first time.

I could not do this as a WIP because my scanner is no longer with us. I have a new scanner, but it has a lip around the edges and that prevents a clean scan of any boards larger than 8x10. I took this finished piece to Kinko's and they scanned it in two pieces for $2. I put them together and here you have it. It is a 14x18.

Diana

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2011/5-Nude_Redux.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2011/5-eye.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2011/5-head.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2011/5-arm.jpg

objectivistartist
02-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Impressive... :thumbsup:

Harry Seymour
02-13-2011, 12:56 PM
I don't know what stall you're in but this is certainly not a reflection of a stall. It is absolutely beautiful and flawless in technique.

Diana Lee
02-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Thank you Robert.
Thanks Harry. The stall took the form of no joy and boredom. My heart just wasn't in it. The boards I worked looked and felt like work I was doing 20 years ago. Most of the time if I ask myself, "What do you want to do?" I would choose scratchboard. Lately, I actually would prefer cleaning house to scratching. This piece was fun and, hopefully, now I can get back to playing with scratchboard again.

Diana

GoldenArt
02-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Diana, Your work is so very good! I do hope you get back to enjoying doing these as much as we enjoy seeing them. Rick

aaces
02-13-2011, 01:48 PM
Oh My Oh My Oh My.....
I love how you make your scratchboard Magic!
Sheer BEAUTY Diana Sheer BEAUTY! Hope your pump is primed and your back in it....I've missed seeing your works!!! :heart::D

BTW I'm sorry for your loss.....the scanner....I can only imagine all the beautiful pieces it had seen. It had a blessed life..... If something should ever happen to me...I wanna be reincarnated as your scanner :heart::D

Rodman
02-13-2011, 02:01 PM
The first one is fantastic ...this one must be fantasticer.. gglad to see new work...

Pantherinae
02-13-2011, 02:43 PM
I love this. It's subtle, but I am most impressed by your handling of the eyelashes; it's very convincing.

Amy

Diana Lee
02-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Thank you Rick!:D

Allan,you sure know how to make me laugh! Very sweet, thank you.

Thanks Rod-man! You have way with words.:wink2: :lol:

Thanks Amy! And thank you for observing the lashes.:thumbsup: It is very easy to overdo lashes. I prefer to either have none or just a hint. Instead of using ink, like I do in the rest of the piece, for things like subtle lashes I go back in after scratching and touch up with Prisma color pencil black.

Diana

PatrickHedges
02-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Reincarnated as a scanner :lol: :lol: Nice one Allan

Diana, this is just gorgeous. She is beautiful and that skin texture is.....WOW, and not only have you put the perfect amount in, you've also left the perfect amount out!!!

artbygail
02-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Diana, about your stall in creativity.... been there, as many other artists have. After couple decades of many commissions, pen and ink, some acrylic, including 3 large murals, all realistic, one day I just had enough.... and I quit art altogether.

Meanwhile son kept saying to try something different, weird, comical, but I could not find the path to break out of realism. After nearly a year, I had an epiphany when looking at a large vintage family photo which had hung on the wall for years. In a flash, I saw these people's lives in a sequence of coloured comic paintings...... enlightening!!! I then proceeded to paint every one that I saw .... which began my career selling many 8 x10 or smaller, comedy pieces in acrylics. Not saying that you need to take a year off, but sometimes, just changing our habits or subject matter brings new insights and new possibilities and from there, our creativity is rekindled once again.

Besides, learning this scratchboard, I also cut small black Silhouette Portraits with tiny scissors while people sit and pose, these I do by donation, for charities and fundraisers. This takes me and my art out into the world where I am mixing with people. This is very rewarding and satisfying to be able to help someone somewhere ... and at same time satisfying for my creative side other than just sitting at home scratching away alone with my thoughts.

Love this artwork of yours, your fine detail is amazing.
Gail

03ahmed
02-13-2011, 04:27 PM
As always beautiful work!

lorna12
02-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Stunningly simple...simply stunning. :)

ARTMUTT
02-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Wow!!!!

emilycolors
02-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Very nice! I really appreciate the close ups.

I noticed that you don't have a sharp edge around the iris of the eye. It works, but I was pondering why it works. Does the sharp angle of the light illuminate the edge of the lens above the iris and give it a softer look?

Enjoying this piece! Thanks!

SueR
02-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Awesome piece Dianna! I think sometimes our brains want a break from such 'tight' work, so you loose the muse, but after a bit I'm sure you'll come back to it. I always listen to my brain when it screams at me, and when I sit down now to do something I feel better about approaching it :)

birdlover
02-13-2011, 07:41 PM
She is beautiful. I've been doing a few looser pieces also sometimes u can get bored being too tight I think.

birdlover
02-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Wow only 2 bucks at kinkos i would have thought it cost more.

birdhs
02-13-2011, 08:37 PM
I looked carefully at scanners yesterday, looking for one with no raised edges, my old one is getting tired. Glad I waited, got to look some more

Stunnerating piece, and thanxsfor the close-ups, makes me appreciate this art form even more.

Thanx 4 posting, this pleaseth our eye. Greg

Buggin3
02-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Love the symmetry and contrast of this piece. You always know exactly where to scratch, and where not to scratch. Beautiful!!

kodik9
02-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Love it!

VENKAT
02-14-2011, 12:53 AM
The play of light and shade is very appealing . Superb is the word to describe it.
Venkat
http://scratchboardartofvenkat.weebly.com/

artofnature
02-14-2011, 06:16 AM
Diana, this is just divine. Love the silhouette. :clap: Please don't go away again. :clap: We love looking at your work.

Thanks for the closeups but i don't think I will ever be able to do skin like that as much as I would like to.:clap: You are an inspiration though. :heart:

Diana Lee
02-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Thank you Patrick!! Those are the words a scratchboard artist wants to hear!
Thanks for the tip Gail. I really do so love photo realism! I wasn't bored with the kind of art I was doing it was more like I wanted to "Be Normal". Hard to explain, but every so often I get an urge to be Donna Reed. Some of you may be too young to understand the analogy.:wink2:
Thank you Irfan.
Lorna, I love the way you said that!:D
Thanks BethAnn!
Emily, Glad you are enjoying this piece. And to answer your question, I don't know. Sometimes my hand does work that my brain doesn't know about.
Thanks Sue!:)
Thank you Angela! Actually I was guessing at the price at Kinko's. I took in four pieces to be scanned at 300 DPI. The total was $4 and I furnished my own thumb drive. If you need to buy one of their thumb drives it costs more. There's a Kinko's just a few minutes from me so it is convenient.:thumbsup:
Thanks Greg! Say, if you find a scanner without a lip or even one that looks like the lip can be removed easily, please let me know!
Thank you Brett! Very sweet compliment!;)
Thanks Jessica!
Thank you VENKAT!
Thanks Lesley! I think Donna Reed has been almost completely exorcised. I have several shows coming up so, unfortunately, I will be busy preparing for those. Maybe I should work with small boards in the meantime.:wink2:

Diana

FoggyMountain
02-14-2011, 09:55 PM
Oh my goodness Diana; your work is so incredible. This is superb.