PDA

View Full Version : *** Daily Wash Saturday 12th February 2011 ***

nola276
02-12-2011, 02:44 AM
Annie, Annie where are you. Was counting on you to start the wash today. (No icon for shout)

Good afternoon all from an extremely windy and sunny Western Australia. Not too warm today – 31c at the moment, but the winds are causing a worry as far as fire danger is concerned. Hopefully, we will get through the day with no new fires to contend with.

Great to see you back Annie. I was starting to feel a little embarrassed having to start the wash while everyone over the pond is still in bed. Hope you are settling back into the routine of things, cat herding, painting etc.

Hi Doug, how are the paintings going.

Hi Kev, great that you’ve got the brushes out again.

Hi Geoff, haven’t you heard – Old caravaners never die,
they keep on camping in the sky.

Hi Lulu and JayJay

Hi Sylvia, good luck with the optician.

Hi Ona, I love your icicles, they look like Christmas lights.

Unk:lol::lol::lol:

Hi Reggie, one more sleep.

Hello JJ.

Hi LynnLC, Darla and Caryl,

Hi Gail from one lizard to another.

Wow Char, good on Matt. Teaching must be fun for you, but don’t tire yourself out.:thumbsup:

Hi Ellen. I’d get the shoulder checked out if I were you.

Hi Bridget, I’m looking forward to walking on the beach when we go up North for the winter. Still 8 weeks before we leave, so I’ll have to be patient.

Hi Carolynn, very energetic lady.

Hi Uschi, how’s everything going.

Hello LynnM, I like dressmaking too, but haven’t made the effort lately. I have a lot of alterations to do before we go North.

Hi Hap, good to see you. I made roast Pork with crackle for Lunch.:D

Sylvia, 'm back from the Ophthalmologist and he dilated my eyes so everything in front of me is blurry. Maybe I should paint something...it might look "loose" for a change. :lol::lol: I have those zig zag light halo’s around my eyes every now and then, although I don’t seem to get them as often these days. My optician told me that they were nothing to worry about and caused by the same chemical in the brain that causes normal migraines, but you don’t get the pain with them thankfully.

Well, today I have replied to the wash by cranking up “Word” and then copying and pasting it into WC.

I find it really embarrassing to start the wash too often, but the times that I am accessing the computer mostly are when everyone else is asleep (except Annie). So sometimes even though I have read the wash and am thinking about everyone here, it is too difficult for me to answer when the “wash” is finally started, so I just skip replying.

This is hopefully going to work out o.k. for me as I can type it in the a.m. here and post it when the wash is up and running. Also have the benefit of a spellchecker with Word and boy do I need it sometimes. Cheers, everyone, Nola.

P.S. (didn't work did it:cool:

Yorky
02-12-2011, 02:53 AM
Good evening Nola and the antipodes, good morning Northern Hemisphere.

Im afraid 31C would have me melting Nola, my limit is 26C.

Well I didn't get to paint, I got immersed in a free e-book on the laptop instead and read 110 pages out of 150.

Wonderful photos of your ice rink and your sons Darla - lucky girls, clever Larry.

Glad it is not a detached retina Sylvia, and I suppose flashing lights is better than a severe headache. Ruth had the same when she was pregnant with David.

Bon voyage Reggie, have a great holiday in Florida.

Doug

shipbroker
02-12-2011, 03:34 AM
Morning above and below!

Dull slightly damp here at moment, off to Northallerton Market for some vegetables and the papers so back later......

Nola,whoever starts the Wash starts the Wash.....at one time before you colonials started a campaign to be first it was mainly Doug, or myself. this past year as starters....it really doesn't matter...although it is nice for the people of the Americas to get a look in sometimes!!!

Nice photos Darla...

cheers

geoff

nola276
02-12-2011, 04:40 AM
Thank you for those encouraging words Geoff, I still feel embarrassed and a little guilty.

Hi Doug. Do you find that reading print off the computer pulls your eyes a bit. I suffer at the end of the day if I read too much text on the computer. Temperature wise, I guess it's just what you get used to. I must say i would find it very very hard to adjust to your temperatures, although I'll never say never:lol:.

Yorky
02-12-2011, 04:45 AM
Hi Nola, yes, I found it a little uncomfortable, but I liked the way I could minimise the window and check wetcanvas at any time.

Doug

nola276
02-12-2011, 05:09 AM
I'm off to have a little dinner and then some T.V. before bed. Goodnight all, Cheers, Nola.

painterbear
02-12-2011, 06:48 AM
Good Morning all,
It is quarter to seven in the a.m. here in still dark, still sleeping Oakwood. Almost time to wake Larry so he can take his meds. He has them scheduled so he has enough time between each pill. He'll be done with them shortly. :D

I was very relieved to read about Ocular Migraines that they usually are not accompanied with headaches (although they can be as Hap found out :o) and they can disappear as quickly as they appeared. So far I've only had the two that caused the concern last week.

I need to draw out a picture to take to class on Monday. I want to get an early start on it because it drives Larry nuts when I wait until Monday morning to do it. :rolleyes:

Doug, I know people like their e-readers and books, but I'm afraid I won't be one of them. I like the feel of a real book in my hand and flipping through the pages to reread something or scanning pages quickly if the book isn't too interesting. I do hope paper books survive though.

:wave: to Geoff and Nola and all who are on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

Johnnie
02-12-2011, 06:51 AM
Hi all

Well its -3C here and wind is blowing pretty good with some white stuff blowing horizontal..lol.. Other than that a fine day looks to be.. ; - )

Been playing my bagpipes quite regular since my teacher put a drone up my rear. lol.. The cat fights sound has now gone down to a bit of a purr with the odd snarl every now and then.. I'm getting there !!!

Hope all is well out there and best wishes to those messin with floods, fire etc etc.

Have a guddun !!

Johnnie

Sylvia.. I don't really think anyone cares who starts the wash.. Anyway, your doin a great job.!!!

Scene Chaser
02-12-2011, 07:05 AM
Good Day All,
It's 28 f here and that will be the high for the day, though it's only 7:00 AM.

Sylvia, I get those little light migraines, too, I just lie down for twenty minutes and they go away.

My equilibrium problem still exist, but I'm hoping it will improve. Much of the time, though, gentamicin poisoning has permanent side effects.

Just start the Wash, Nola. We don't care. As long as someone gets it going.

Bill

doppler
02-12-2011, 07:07 AM
Dear St Nola of the fishes ((())) .. I am still here .. barely (not literally .. ) but justly. (Oh dear :lol: .. cop that one! That'll teach you to shout :angel: )

We were invited for woodfired pizzas this afternoon (and wine .. and well!?) at a friends place in the back(er) blocks of Mt Nebo. It was rather GREAT! Husband has fallen asleep in deafened exhaustion after my driving instructions on the way home. Windy dirt road (his car ... mine (Ruby) doesn't do dirt roads) I won't go into it but his main reply was glare GLARE and "shut up". I was only helping :wink2: . .

We are safely esconced at home, cats are fed (yes, more glares there ... SO! you go away and then you come back and shut us in prematurely and then feed us LATE!?)

Watching the semi-last of Midsomer dies. It is a repeat. I think they will keep the last made episodes for the "peak" period later in the year.

Doug and Geoff :wave:

Wilf .. that was the best and most unforgettable family planning advert I've ever seen .

Probably forgotten lots again .. whatever .. :wave: .. to all I've missed .. have a great day

Edit .. Johnnie ... what :eek:

Bill ... hopefully it will wear off. ((()))

Sylvia .. :heart:

CharM
02-12-2011, 08:22 AM
Good morning Washer Buds... it's been snowing off and on this morning, but we haven't really had any appreciable accumulation. It's just Old Man Winter's reminder that he isn't going anywhere anytime soon!

I hurriedly got up this morning to have coffee with Matt before he left for work, but he needed the extra time to clean the snow and frost off his car and to get it warmed before driving... we did have our coffee, but it was a little rushed... So, cup in hand, I'm visiting with you... :)

We were supposed to go to a Birthday Party this evening... but, the birthday girl has come down with the flu... what a nasty way to spend your 4th birthday, eh?

It's laundry day, so that will be my first chore of the day... and, here we are on Saturday again, and I've been thinking that we should head to the grocery store... I've come to realize that my old habits are more difficult to shake than I ever imagined... seriously... :rolleyes:

Egypt... wow... people really can make a difference... let's remain hopeful for the very best outcome...

Nola... you worry too much! :) As long as someone starts the Wash, it doesn't matter who does that, or how often! Not too warm at 31C??? Right... :rolleyes:

Hi Doug... so... what book did you read that caught you attention so fully?

Syl... I'm glad that your condition isn't as serious, or as pain filled as it could have been! Must still be a little disconcerting, though... I :lol: about your drawing timeliness or lack thereof driving Larry crazy...

(((Bill))) That's an awful prognosis!

Hi Annie... I can understand your generosity in offering advice and assistance to your husband as he drives... I've met similar resistance from my own husband, even though my observations are clearly helpful. Woodfired pizza sounds SO good!

Hi Geoff, Johnnie and all yet to come... I hope your day is a happy and creative one... I may get to paint... maybe you can too... :)

laudesan
02-12-2011, 08:32 AM
Dear Bill. Huge hugs!!!!! Have a look at THIS LINK (http://www.gentamicin.com/CM/Custom/Living-with-Gentamicin.asp).. :grouphug: :heart:

:wave: all.... :grouphug:

painterbear
02-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Husband has fallen asleep in deafened exhaustion after my driving instructions on the way home. Windy dirt road (his car ... mine (Ruby) doesn't do dirt roads) I won't go into it but his main reply was glare GLARE and "shut up". I was only helping . .Annie

Hi Annie... I can understand your generosity in offering advice and assistance to your husband as he drives... I've met similar resistance from my own husband, even though my observations are clearly helpful. Woodfired pizza sounds SO good! Char

Ahem, ladies, I can empathize sooooooooo well with your poor husbands after being Larry's chauffeur the last month or so. :rolleyes: 'Nuff said. ;)

Johnny, I really like bagpipe music (of course, I've only heard it played at ceremonial events by people who really knew how to play). I'm sure you will be playing at their level too one of these days. :D

Bill, I've been lucky and not had any pain associated with my ocular migraines, so I'm hoping it remains that way. Hope you get over those side effects of your gentamicin poisoning soon — maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones where they aren't permanent. :crossfingers:

:wave: to JJ and all who are still on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

JayJay365UK
02-12-2011, 08:54 AM
:wave:Hi to you all! Still a nice sunny (but cool) afternoon here in Cheshire UK.

I had the grandson over to stay last night as his Dad had to do an extra shift.. boy, I forgot kids wake up early! So I'm yawning now.... I fear an afternoon sleep will be in order.

I did finish the Brusho painting, but it didn't come out as well as I'd hoped. I think I need a lot more practice with that stuff yet! LOL!

Hope you are all ok!

JayJay from the UK:)

Ellen in Ont
02-12-2011, 10:03 AM
:wave: everyone,
I got a lot done yesterday towards preparing for my workshop but still more to do today. I am also printing out a couple of large photos and framing them for my son's restaurant. They are almost 100 years old taken when our town was just starting to be built. I only have a few hours to work since I'll have to have a nap before nightshift tonight. So I'll keep this short and just say have a great weekend.

shipbroker
02-12-2011, 10:28 AM
JayJay365UK.......

Where are you based as not on profile???

rgds

geoff

Europa
02-12-2011, 10:58 AM
AFTERNOON WASHGANGEROOS!!

Just taking a break from dusting my midden of a room - I hate dusting and having so many ornaments it takes me about an hour just to do one set of shelves......aaaaaargh!!

I wanted to thank everyone again for their wishes re Henry - both on here - on facebook and in emails and pm's. I haven't seen Jamie since as he has been working nights. I did nip round last night as I had to pick granddaughter Bronwyn up and drop her off.

It was really wierd going in the house and him not coming bouncing up to me - and yes Hap you are right - I have no one to protect me from that Banya......LOL.

Geoff - that was a lovely thing for someone to do - nice to know that some people go beyond the call of duty so to speak.

Hap - LOL - I loved that pic about the alcohol - mind you I think you would need to be drunk to kiss any of them.....LOL.

Have started on a new painting - the creative juices are flowing. :thumbsup:

Took SWMBO to town yesterday - we had a nice afternoon out.

Got a letter from my bank saying they were increasing my credit card rate by about 5% - am not happy - I could cancel the card and continue to pay it off at the current rate but found out that they would be within their rights to up my minimum payment by 100% :eek: - talk about being between a rock and a hard place.

Well the rugby league (as opposed to that girly game Lulu watches ;) :evil: ) - starts today - a lot of matches being played continuously in Cardiff - Wigan are playing at 7pm tonight against our biggest rivals St Helens.....hope SWMBO takes her tablet -she gets soooooooooo involved......LOL.

Suppose I had better make a move and get back dusting.

Sending hugs and white light all around

LUGGLES

Pat xxx

BDorsa
02-12-2011, 12:10 PM
good morning/afternoon/evening wonderful watercolor artists:

Bright sunshine here but cold...brrrr....certainly not beach walking weather:(

I painted a bit yesterday and hope to get some more done over the weekend...NASCAR starts this weekend here in the states...anyone a racing fan?

Nola: I hope you are safe from the brush fires...bet you're looking forward to you beach holiday

Sylvia: I agree with you 100%. I love the feel of a paper book.

Johnnie: don't think we have met...hello !! I adore bagpipe music

Bill: hope you are feeling better soon

Annie: glad you had a blast at the pizza party

Ellen: what kind of workshop are you taking?

hi Doug, Geoff, Char, JJ, JayJay & Pat

:grouphug: hugs all around :grouphug:

Uschi
02-12-2011, 01:57 PM
Good Afternoon Everyone!!!

It would be a lovely day, temperature went up from -20C yesterday to -3C, the sun is shining brightly but there is a really nasty wind that makes it really cold and the snow that fell last night is blowing everywhere so it feels like walking in a really cold snowstorm.

My baby son had his 37th birthday on Wednesday and the official dinner was being held yesterday evening. Kids and some of their friends were there as well and after the lovely dinner (roast beef, mash potatoes, a variety of veggies and lots of delicious gravy - my favourite:D ) we played all sorts of Wii games. I didn't get home until midnight.

This morning I went to play table tennis, was not really good, my whole body was hurting:rolleyes: did some shopping on the way home.

Yesterday I started another smallish painting of a white rose with bud, left it at the point where I have to put the background in:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol:

I taped a show called Marketplace and from what I gathered they were talking about antibiotics and how they have been overprescribed and that is one of the reason they are not working anymore, but the other reason is that animals (the meat we eat) are sot full of these antibiotics and we eat the meat and with it the antibiotics. I'll watch the show tonight and will tell you what else was said tomorrow.

Pat, those credit card companies are outrageous, they must hate me because I pay everything off every time, not making any money off me:thumbsup:

Sylvia, I am so glad for you that the eye problem was nothing more severe!!

Char, yes, having to do our laundry and shopping on Saturday stays with us, it's ingrained. Forgot to say :clap: :clap: for Matt's "A". BRAVO - such a good boy, oh, I mean young man:)

Bill, I am so sorry you are still not 100%, sending very good wishes!!!

Johnnie, WOOHOO, you found someone on the Wash who likes the pipes:evil: :lol: but honestly, I am really glad that you are progressing so well, you must be happy with yourself!!

:wave: to all I did not personally address and wishing you a great day and as always HAWLTAIN!!!

Uschi

Uschi
02-12-2011, 02:22 PM
I forgot to mention, one of our table tennis players suffers from fibermyalga (sp?) and she found that Vitamin B12 with Folic Acid really made a big difference.

Uschi

shipbroker
02-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Evening all.....

Like several million others I have been watching the Rugby Six Nations match between England & Italy...very good game, unlike the Scotland/Wales game which followed......Lulu...I like good rugby be it 15 or 7's on TV...but live I usually go to Melrose,home of 7's, for their invitation games in April......the veterans and ladies games outside of the main events are worth watching too.............Rugby League, sorry Pat.....not for me.....

Credit Cards ...I got a letter from one of my two banks last week advising that they were upping my limit by another GPB2500 from April!.......I used that card for my cruise 'sea money' in May and paid it off straight away...otherwise I only spent less than GPB 100 for the year......that was for iTunes and Apps........ The other card, which I tend to use in Europe, had even less on it....I can't even remember what the pin numbers are and have to look them up before we go away....It wasn't always the case though!!!

Weather turned out beautiful again today, forecast wet for tomorrow with snow from Russia during next week.....again.

cheers

geoff

CharM
02-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Hiya... friends dropped by this morning for coffee, so we got something of a late start with the grocery shopping... I really have to make a concerted effort to avoid Saturday trips to the store... lots and lots of people milling down the centre of the aisles without a care in the world... I've always thought that traffic lanes would improve the flow... :)

Anyway... we're home with groceries got and put away... with our temperatures hovering right around the freezing mark, the roads are nice and clear... lots of sunshine to cheer the day, too...

We have a new resident in our yard... a beautiful falcon has been keeping an eye on our bird feeder station... it's almost harrowing... all the little ones retreat to the nearby shrubs and bushes periodically, and we know that the raptor is somewhere looking for his dinner...

Sylvia... :lol: Larry's back seat driving...

JayJay... I had to google Brusho because I didn't have a clue what you were talking about... it does look like fun, though...

What a great idea, framing historical photos, Ellen... I'm sure they'll look really nice in your Son's restaurant...

Hi ((Pat))... I don't carry a credit card... but have one with a small credit limit for ordering on the internet... I've never checked the rate because I pay it off right away...

Belated Happy Birthday to Jurgen, Uschi... he and my Chris are the same age and born in the same month! We're forced to do laundry on Saturday or Sunday because of the hydro rates... with the smart metres operational, it costs twice as much to run electrical appliances during the weekdays...

Hi Bridget... happy Saturday!!! What are you painting??

Hi Geoff... I'm afraid we're not numbered in those millions of viewers... in fact, I don't think it's even televised here...

Tonight's dinner is an easy one... I have some nice pizza crusts made up, so I just have to top them... Matt will be home from work at a decent hour, so we'll all be able to eat together...

olliewood0702
02-12-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm cleaning house as my nephew's wife, Laura is arriving tomorrow to stay with us for 4 days. They are moving here as she is an RN and got a job at one of the hospitals in town. They are having a house inspected tomorrow that they've put an offer on. She starts orientation for her new job tomorrow and we have an extra room and bed.

Larry is over at Matt and Jen's putting down some hardwood floors. They are replacing their carpeting with wood in preparation for possibly selling it and moving to a larger one; with the new baby coming and all.

It's sunny and mild here with some clouds now moving in. I just scrubbed the floors and am waiting for them to dry. Clean sheets are already on the beds and still need to scrub the bathrooms.

I've just not got the energy that I used to have and I guess it's just a sign of getting older; although in the winter I get so down. ALWAYS do and by the end I'm so blue. I love when the sun shines but if I never can get out in it ...well it just doesn't do me any good.:confused:

Well my bathroom's won't clean themselves so better get in gear.

I hope you all are able to do something creative with your free time.

BBL:wave: :grouphug:

ona
02-12-2011, 04:52 PM
:wave: to everyone.

Ona

Yorky
02-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Good to hear from you Ona, I hope you are well.

Your painting of grandpa is looking wonderful. Can't wait to xee the engine.

Doug

BDorsa
02-12-2011, 05:17 PM
hey Char, I'm painting a beach scene with a geometric border around it...I'll post a pic once it's finished :)

JudyL
02-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Hi, long day with little sleep, so just stopping by to say howdy, and hoping you had a great day.

Yorky
02-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Char was asking which e-book I read - it was Time Rep by Peter Ward (http://www.free-ebooks.net/ebook/Time-Rep). I like sci-fi and this was a free one.

Doug

Uschi
02-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Well, I watched the TV program "Marketplace". Fascinating, excellent, excellent program, shocking information about our food, in this case namely chicken.

Tomorrow I am going to the library looking for a good cookbook with tasty vegetarian recipes, so there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would highly recommend you watch the programm, it's only a 1/2 hour program, that includes the commercials, you can click past them, HERE (http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/) is the link to Superbugs in the Supermarket.

Darla, I used to be a super energetic and strong person, now I don't even have half the energy.

Char, it was Yvan's birthday, Juergen is already 48 ! I hope you don't have to witness the falcon snapping up the cute little birdies:crying: :crying:

Oh, I finished the background on my painting:smug: and it's not looking too bad.

:wave: to ALL!!!!!!!!!!

Uschi

Europa
02-12-2011, 06:48 PM
EVENING WASHGANGEROOS!!

Just about to watch my third movie of the night - thought i would pop in before the next one starts - am watching UP.

Re credit card - I used to pay mine off every month but unfortunately the finances won't allow - i haven't had a wage for over 3 months so money is tight - case of robbing peter to pay paul - oh well - it can only get better.....LOL.

Ok movie starting - got me munchies - am set.......later folks.

LUGGLES

Pat xxx

olliewood0702
02-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Uschi, I'm afraid to watch this program. Jen has been a vegetarian since watching a program and reading a book called "Skinny B!+ch". She said if EVERYONE read this book they'd stop eating meat.

I know there is REAL PROBLEMS with our food supply and we should be eating naturally grown and fresh and/or frozen food. I do like the taste of meat and don't know if I could be a vegetarian but most likely I could be one.

Yeah Uschi, the older I get the less energy I have. My Mother said it's hard to accept that we have to slow down as we age. She said a person just NEVER feels as old as they are in years.:rolleyes: I believe her too.

I've got my house spic and span and now my shoulder REALLY is sore. I think I'll now plan a collage....or start on a painting I have drawn out. I just have lost my muse lately...maybe puttering around with a wet brush will bring it back.:thumbsup:

I'm hungry too and it doesn't look like Larry is coming home anytime soon; he's still at Jen and Matt's laying wood floor. So I might stick in a frozen pizza and fold some laundry.

Nite all.:wave: :heart:

BDorsa
02-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Uschi: this website (http://www.food.com/recipes/vegetarian)is good for vegetarian recipes

CharM
02-12-2011, 07:56 PM
Ok... now dinner's been had and cleaned up! The men enjoyed their meat lover's pizzas and mine was mushroom and spinach... mmmmm mmmm good!

Uschi... my Sister firmly believes that my inability to digest meat is because of the antibiotics that have been absorbed through the animals' food... I'm seriously allergic to sulfa which is an ingredient in the feed...

Preparing vegetarian meals isn't really too difficult... vegan... now there's a challenge! And, you have Grandsons who're vegetarian, so you must know something of what to plan and cook...

Char's Soapbox - Scroll Down if you don't want to bother reading this diatribe! :)

Buying "local" is important because it gives you an opportunity to know where your food is coming from... In our area, there are now a few farms that have been certified Organic and it's possible to buy meat, eggs and vegetables from them... and abattoirs that humanely manage the animals' final moments...

I refuse to buy out of season produce because it's been shipped from *somewhere*... and because it's harvested before it has ripened, really cannot offer as much nutrition as we think it does just because it's "fresh"... additionally, I really have trouble rationalizing the carbon footprint of shipping food from half way around the world to us...

One of the new developments in our food industry is the genetically engineered produce... it's being developed for increased size, not nutrition... heirloom vegetables and fruit really do taste better!

Of course, the downside to all this is that our groceries are expensive... It really is a lot cheaper to buy processed and junk food... By Spring, we're longing for something fresh and green... and I must can and freeze as much as possible during the growing season...

End of Rant... carry on... :)

So, Uschi... Juergen carries his age very well! Are you going to post this painting????? :p

((Darla)) I have found that I can get as much done as I used to do... it just takes me twice as long... So... you just have to admit to yourself that you need to take more frequent breaks... and some things are simply not as important as you used to believe they were...

Doug, I really enjoy reading Science Fiction, too...

Hi Judy, Ona and Bridget...

((Pat)) We have to do what we have to do... One of my old bosses used to say that "Come the revolution, we'll all be Kings!" I never quite understood what he meant until I got much older...

WthrLady
02-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Sorry Uschi - I'm a carnivore, sharp teeth, eyes on the front of my head, the whole nine yards.

It's more cruel to eat veggies. They have NO WAY to defend themselves before being ruthlessly ripped from the ground and steamed. So sad. :D

Europa
02-12-2011, 08:44 PM
WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! - just won £100 on the lottery - am a VERY happy bunny!!

Pat :thumbsup:

doppler
02-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Char's Soapbox - Scroll Down if you don't want to bother reading this diatribe! :)

Buying "local" is important because it gives you an opportunity to know where your food is coming from... In our area, there are now a few farms that have been certified Organic and it's possible to buy meat, eggs and vegetables from them... and abattoirs that humanely manage the animals' final moments...

I refuse to buy out of season produce because it's been shipped from *somewhere*... and because it's harvested before it has ripened, really cannot offer as much nutrition as we think it does just because it's "fresh"... additionally, I really have trouble rationalizing the carbon footprint of shipping food from half way around the world to us...

One of the new developments in our food industry is the genetically engineered produce... it's being developed for increased size, not nutrition... heirloom vegetables and fruit really do taste better!

Of course, the downside to all this is that our groceries are expensive... It really is a lot cheaper to buy processed and junk food... By Spring, we're longing for something fresh and green... and I must can and freeze as much as possible during the growing season...

End of Rant... carry on... :)

:thumbsup:

Great and timely win Pat. :clap:

BDorsa
02-12-2011, 10:00 PM
WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! - just won £100 on the lottery - am a VERY happy bunny!!

congratulations Pat !!!!!

Yorky
02-13-2011, 03:21 AM
Congratulations Pat- just what you need - or perhaps another couple of noughts.

I am wary of vegetarianism. Scientists say that the growth of the human brain started when humans started eating meat. I think meat is essential for the development of the human brain. We had my grandson over before Christmas and he has been brought up a strict vegetarian. His mother won't allow any meat in the house - difficult for us when we visit. Everything we offered him was preceded with the question "does it contain any meat?". To be a vegetarian you have to be a food scientist and plan a balanced nutritional diet which is very difficult.

Not that we eat lots of steaks etc, but we do have a varied diet.

Doug

WthrLady
02-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Congrats PAT !

BDorsa
02-13-2011, 03:27 PM
I am wary of vegetarianism. Scientists say that the growth of the human brain started when humans started

Great point Doug...I eat an occasional vegetarian meal however I'd die if I had to give up dairy.