PDA

View Full Version : borosticks

TrevorSinnock
02-12-2011, 01:22 AM
does anybody have any tips on working the borosticks colors? my girlfriend is using the brown and did perfectly fine with it at first but is having problems with it now. like the color just totally washes out and it turns grey. she's not boiling it at all so thats not the problem. i told her to try an oxidizing flame but i dont know much about what these colors are formulated with. so any input would surely help :)

sundaisy
02-18-2011, 04:30 PM
They do the same to me. Some of the colors are just like that. How about encasing them?

TrevorSinnock
02-18-2011, 08:17 PM
thats what i usually do for general striping but i cant do that for sculptural work. the clear makes and obvious line between seals

glasspendants
02-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Borosticks are not pulled like other colored glass, I believe they are pressed. When we get them they aren't completely melted together, and have air in them. What you need to do is work the color before you use it. There are different ways of doing this, I'm not sure what is the best way, but what I do is melt the whole stick into a gather, and spin the whole gather up by spinning with one hand faster than the other. This get all the air out of the glass, then I pull it back down to either a stringer or a color rod depending on what I am doing with it. I have good luck doing this with the white, but some of the other colors still get burnt out, too much heat causes that I think. I did see an article in the flow talking about how to work it, I am posting the link.

Boro Stix How Do I Love Thee (https://www.theflowmagazine.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=311:boro-stix-how-do-i-love-thee-let-me-count-the-ways-winter-2009&Itemid=102)

Good Luck

TrevorSinnock
02-19-2012, 07:27 PM
wow! thanks for that link...

ive never thought of gathering it since mostly i just stripe directly onto the clear and it works great. lately their batches have been really sucking. im not sure what changed but a year ago almost all of their stuff was fine. This is the absolute worst ive seen so far:

this is tangerine. the good stuff from my old stash is on the right. the new stuff i just got a couple weeks ago is total trash. notice how dark and shiny the good stuff stays even after being heated directly in the flame and striping onto clear
http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x418/EmergentGlass/GoodBorostickvsbad.jpg
the new stuff (TOP) is dull, colorless and not smooth or shiny at all:
http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x418/EmergentGlass/GoodBorostickvsbad2.jpg

i havent had time to contact the company yet. hopefully i can be re-imbursed. several of their colors ive gotten lately have been like this. though not nearly as bad as this tangerine

glasspendants
02-22-2012, 04:48 AM
wow that's insane, I've never seen it look like that before. Must be a bad batch. I had a bad batch of white a long time ago, so when some good stuff was around I stocked up. I would definately call them on that, your picture shows there's definately something wrong with the color, it's really dull. Hopefully they're not cutting corners because their economy has gotten bad over there.