PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Montreal, QC Wtclr Artists!

Mrsjones
02-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Hi All! New to the forum and to the medium, and trying to find supply stores in the Montreal/Laval area (besides the big box "Omer De Serres")! Anyone have favorites?

Looking forward to posting some pieces for critique soon!

Have a great weekend!

Yorky
02-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Doug

Mrsjones
02-12-2011, 12:17 AM
Thanks Doug!!:wave:

alexs
02-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Welcome Mrsjones. Is there anything particular you are looking for? Omer carries just about all you would need. There is British Blue Print at 1831 Ste Catherine W and L'Oiseau Bleu Artisanat at 4146 Ste.Catherine E. There is also Wallacks in Ottawa.

seedy
02-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Check out Cheap Joes on the net.....and also Curries in Canada.
When it comes to paper, CJ's has Canada all beat...but the paints are almost the same.
Our Omer's here in Gatineau is not bad and they sell Fabriano paper and decent prices.....but not Arches...$18.95 for a full sheet of #300......as is Wallack's in Ottawa.

Mrsjones
02-12-2011, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the info!

I was looking for 1/2 pan sets, in the 24-48 pan set range, but Omer only stocks the plein-air, travel size, and mostly in student quality. Maybe it's just MY local store that has such a small selection!... I've discovered Curry's! Awesome website! I've ordered a set of 24 Yarka pans, and so far, not too bad! I think i'm just gonna have to break down and get some good tube paints! What would you all pick? Windsor and Newton, or Holbein? Need some vibrance in my greens and earth colours! I'm partial to landscapes! I'm new at this, so, maybe there isn't any vibrance in umbers and siennas! Any info is welcome! I've been learning about Watercolour painting from books and online tutorials! No formal training! But even at that, i've been hooked from the start! LOL!

I've been browsing the Cheap Joe's selection, but I'm afraid of what the duty would amount to, shipping to Canada! Gonna have to check out Wallack's next time i'm in Ottawa!!

Alexs, what type of supply does British Blue stock?

alexs
02-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Mrsjones: British Blue Print is well stocked for painting. It supplies the Concordia University art students with their needs.
I have used W/N and Holbein paints as well as many other brands. I personally prefer Holbein. Curries carries Graham paints which are also very good. You won't be disappointed.
Ordering from Cheap Joes in the past for me, I have only to pay the shipping, Canada Post $5.00 handling fee and the applicable taxes. There was no duty on goods from the US.

Mrsjones
02-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Ah! Well, that's cool about CheapJoe's!! I've been burned in the past, so was a little shy about us based websites!

Will check out British blue print too! Thanks for your take on paints! They are rather expensive to stock the base colours I tend to use often, so knowing what people think is comforting!

Cheers everyone!

alexs
02-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Mrsjones; You might want to visit Bruce macEnvoy's website for more useful information on watercolor paints and painting. You can reach his website by searching, handprint.com; and clicking on the watercolor wheel in the upper right hand corner.

Mrsjones
02-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Excellent! Thanks!