PDA

View Full Version : *** Daily Wash Friday 11th February 2011 ***

Yorky
02-11-2011, 03:05 AM
Good morning all from a dull but dry West Lancashire.

I have two half finished paintings on my desk, snowdrops and Mount Wilbur, hope I can get to finish them today.

Doug

doppler
02-11-2011, 03:12 AM
or .. 11 to 11.

I'll echo Doug ... WOT no wash yet?

Home again. Driving and flying and driving again. Its a good time for private reflection. Dad's celebration of LIFE went well... that piquant mix of heartbreak and heartwarm. My Mum is well.

Can't say much more .. have to go and check the previous washes. Actually have to do some real washing! That carry-on only air fare makes you ... tantalising to the olfactories ... :lol:

BBL ... cats are calling ... :) ... whining ... only DH to feed them for a week!!! OOPS ... he's just back from work too ... judging by the remains in the refrigerator, he will need a feed too. He's addicted to my style of burning. :angel:

Roun2it
02-11-2011, 03:24 AM
Mornin' each ............ :wave:

Black pudding and blood letting seemed to make for a good conversation yesterday .......... :wink2: I love a good black pudding ....... but it has to be a good one some are just like cardboard, eat with English Mustard ...... wonderful and eye watering ........ :lol:

Funny as on TV News yesterday they were running an item on pain research and used the taking of blood as one of the lead items, they say now that you should look at the needle as it goes as the brain helps to compensate for the pain. I don't really have a problem with the pain of giving blood, ........ but I do always look away as the prick me and draw the blood.

Taking about painting ........... I did start one on Tuesday at my art group, I forgot to take a reference though and was forced to use one from a book but hey you know me it ended up looking nothing like the original as I began to paint ..... :lol: ............ I may even get time to finish it today.

Happy painting everyone ............ :wave:

Yorky
02-11-2011, 03:30 AM
Hi Kev, good to see you.

I am assured by Sarah that low IP numbers are now not being blocked. I am not convinced though as I am still getting complaints.

Doug

Yorky
02-11-2011, 03:39 AM
Hi Annie, glad things went OK.

I merged your thread in here.

Doug

shipbroker
02-11-2011, 03:43 AM
Morning all....

See that Annie also wash started just after you Doug.........

It is very misty and damp on this side today, as forecast, funeral weather to match the cremation we are going to in an hour or so.....should be a good turnout as many of the caravanners will be there and he had a large family I believe....

Uschi.....ready for the cruise eh! Well your ship is bigger than our last one, but same company RCL, as you know...some of the English entertainment staff transferred from Independence to yours...but could have moved on again........May try and get a short notice booking for another trip soon as still have not got over Christmas & New Year and family medical problems!!

Not painting at moment but will be starting some pretty small ones soon I think for some possible outdoor events...

rgsd

geoff

Lulu
02-11-2011, 04:27 AM
Evening all from a damp and dark Cambridge:wave:
Nearly time for bed here, 10.20 pm. Has been a good day though, gym this morning and have been watching a painting dvd this afternoon, and just now finished doing a colour chart of my watercolours as I watched the final of a local talent quest on tv.

Annie, you can always raise a smile:)
Glad the time with your mum and family celebrating your dear dad's life went well. Continued warm thoughts and hugs ((( ))).

Kev, great to know you are painting! I have no problem watching needles go in, I used to love giving injections! (and for several years gave myself them for allergies but that's another story...)
As for Black pudding, I'd have to smother it with mustard so I didn't taste any of it!!!:lol:

Doug, I look forward to seeing your paintings.

Geoff, rugby is about to start here this w/end, (and summer is not over yet!) and there's mild panic among the fans,the AB captain is out of action for about 4-6 weeks (or more), about to have surgery on an injury.:eek: lol

Off to bed, will be out early to the gym, and John is going over to Hamilton to put up a gymnastic bar for the family.

Nite:wave:

doppler
02-11-2011, 04:33 AM
I'm back .. need SSLLEEEEPPP .. but have just scanned the past washes which were full of real urkies. Veins. Stuff.Blood. And Bill .. (()) for your equilibrium.

And Sylvia and Larry for getting rid of fixatives :thumbsup:

And .. was it Henry? :eek: the black pudding ... deep fried :eek: .. no icon for (you know) and definitly none for a double (you know).

Kev .. well... it might have been you :cool: :eek: Memory banks flat.

We got on the Raymond Island ferry on Tuesday morning (walking :eek: ) ... two SILs and one Bro and me .. and the ferry driver said .. "Girls, you know the bottle shops are closed?" One of my SIL's said .. "Yes ... we just want to know where there's a recycling bin hire?" ..

... coming back he asked (he does know my parents) where we were from. Brother answered Townsville. The Ferry Driver said he had a friend there who described the gale and the floods to the waist and the way his wife stood for nervous hours looking at the bay window. His friend then decided that if the weather got any worse, he'd have to let her in.

Now I am off! :wave: Great to be back.

doppler
02-11-2011, 04:39 AM
Cross post ... :rolleyes:

Geoff, rugby is about to start here this w/end, (and summer is not over yet!) and there's mild panic among the fans,the AB captain is out of action for about 4-6 weeks (or more), about to have surgery on an injury.:eek: lol

Oh Lulu .. that's a darned shame :angel: :)

Lulu
02-11-2011, 04:52 AM
:p

JayJay365UK
02-11-2011, 05:31 AM
Good morning from sunny South Cheshire in the UK...

Still sad about Pat's news yesterday, and still thinking of her.

Well I must get off the 'pooter and do something... like get dressed for a start - 10.30am already.

Hoping to change the room around and get my painting table nearer to the window, I'm hopelessly cramped in this little bungalow so I need to organise myself more!

Then I'm going to make probably an awful mess with some Brusho. Just bought a set of these colours as I was blown away by (is it?) Margaret? Boon and her artyboon site. Plus I love some new media to play with!:thumbsup:

painterbear
02-11-2011, 05:52 AM
Good Morning all,
It is quarter to six on a warming morning here in Oakwood. Temp is going up to 40F/4C today! It is going to feel positively balmy after the low temps the last few days. :D

Another doctor visit for me this morning, but it is right up the street in Oakwood. This past week I started seeing some flashes of lights in my one eye. This concerned Larry because he has a health brochure that said these could possibly be signs of a torn retina. So I'm going in to have that checked out. Funny thing is once the appointment was made, I haven't seen any more flashes. The opthamologist is going to think I'm crazy. :rolleyes:

Annie, Glad you are back home in your own little nest on the mountaintop. I'm sure your DH and the kitties are glad as well. :grouphug: for your time with your Mum and siblings celebrating the remembrance of your Dad's life.

Lulu, The marinade recipe I mentioned for lamb yesterday is one I learned when we were in Turkey. They make a lot of delicious lamb dishes there in many different ways since they don't raise a lot of cattle and don't eat pork.

Doug, I have a card sitting on my desk that is half done as well. Just can't seem to get into painting recently, but like you, I need to get cracking.

Kev, :clap: that you are painting again!!! That's good news. :D

Geoff, Have a nice time remembering your caravanning friend's life today.

JayJay, I haven't said Welcome to the Wash to you yet! Nice to meet you.

:wave: to all who are on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

watercolourfanatic
02-11-2011, 05:58 AM
Morning All:wave: .

Missed yesterday as had a busy schedule. Painting in the morning with my AVA group and collecting the boys from school later.

10.52am. very dull and misty with light drizzle, mild though currently 11.3c.

Having had my morning walk along the lane I'm now about to put an upgrade on the PC so if you never hear from me again you'll know it went wrong!:eek:

Hopefully that will go okay and I plan to continue one of my indian portraits this afternoon. I've done the eyes, nose and mouth then comes the hard bit. No, not really I think the eyes are the most difficult. If you get them right then there is a fair chance it will work.

For those who are in difficulties either with personal problems or extreme weather I hope things will soon get better. Good painting!:)

ona
02-11-2011, 06:01 AM
Hello:wave:

(((Pat)))

hope you are feeling a bit better today Bill

I didnt get here yesterday, even to lurk and read... as I got into painting and then spent the whole evening trying to get a decent photo of progress. My camera HATES watercolour glazing. Anyone else have that problem?

I did manage to get some photos of our icicles yesterday while it was sunny

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2011/131562-IMG_7261.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2011/131562-IMG_7262.jpg

and James took some the other day too

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2011/131562-IMG_5083web.jpg

Ona

UNK
02-11-2011, 06:06 AM
I shoulda had this picture with me last night when I went carousing with fellow artists after a show - it would have tempered my inclination to indulge and become overly jolly. Now my head is really heavy and my wallet a whole lot lighter - for pennance I'm gonna do a landscape I've been shirking today:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2011/230647-Temperance.jpg

Anyhow - good morning to all those sensible WC folk

UNK

ReggieS
02-11-2011, 06:25 AM
Morning all! Three days with no snow! They said we have had over 80 inches so far this winter!!!

My last day of work before vacation! Yay!! almost all my work is caught up!!

Sylvia- We had already made our flight reservations etc so they agreed to let me take it! I sure need it and so does Al!

Bill- hope you feel better!

Doug- We are flying from Burlington, VT to Orlando, Florida on Sunday at 9:10 AM and arrive in Orlando at 12:29PM. We come home next SAT. I wil
Have my IPad with me so I'll be checking in daily! Otherwise I would have WC withdrawal!! Can't have that!

gotta run!
il later!

Have a great day all!

love,

Reggie

laudesan
02-11-2011, 06:33 AM
:wave:

((((((((((Pat Jamie et al)))))))))) I so, so sorry to read your news Pat. Henry was indeed a great big baby, I sure loved him, and I am quite anxious around big dogs. Words are just not enough, hey. :grouphug:

Super icicles Ona!!

(((((Bill hope you feel better soon)))))

Hugs to all in need

LCPainterCat
02-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Mornin', Everyone on this side of the globe -- and Good evenin' to all on t'other!

[B]Annie: So glad to have you safely back. We all thought about you and
your mother and brother and sent {{{{hugs}}}} every day.
We missed you -- but unlike the cats and husband, our hearts
are pure: it wasn't for your cooking.<G>

Pat: Such sadness for Jamie -- and you. Henry was, after all, a
family member, and Jamie cared for him in the best possible
way.
Your painting is a stunner!!!!

Bill says: "I am still suffering from a loss of equilibrium from the
antibiotics. I can't stand or walk for long, as I get nauseated.
I hope it's not permanent."

Bill, ask your docs if taking (non-drowsy) Dramamine might help
with both loss of equilibrium and the associated nausea. Even if
the root cause was the I.V. antibiotics, it may be that the effect
of them has been to your inner ear, in which case Dramamine (or
a similar medication) may be just the ticket to relief.

Wilf writes: "I really did not realize that my fingers were so fat."
LOL! Wilf, it's all muscle! (Or that deep fried Black Pudding?)<G>

Your Moose Team Ceiling Tile donation is simply super!

Char: Congratulations on your sale of "Betty's Tea Service."
But -- How could you part with it?

Gale: I'm finally flying my flag for you -- and you now probably
have WAY TOO MUCH INFORMATION! <G>

Uschi:"Did you know that those wide elastic belts with click
together buckles, that were soooooo fashionable 20 years ago,
are back?
Guess what I still have in my closet, in every width and every
colour."

Me, too, Uschi. Now, if only the waist I had 20 years ago were
back, too!

When do you leave on your cruise?

Ellen: OHMIGOSH! It's no wonder you slipped on the ice -- you're
ALWAYS "Dashing" off to do a thousand
errands in between constant work and painting and meetings
and housekeeping. Hope your aches and pains are quickly
gone.

Jaytee:How nice to see you! How's winter traffic been at the
Gallery?

Lulu: There is a thin, thin, thin and very pretty, pale-blond, pony-
tailed with bangs ("fringe?") therapist at the PT Center who
looks so much like you that I keep thinking I "know" her. I
think she's about 25 -- but that's what YOU look like. :-)

Sylvia: Lamb Chops with lemon and garlic and rosemary -- Turkish?
But also very Julia Child! (And my English Mother!)
yummmm. . . .
And Larry could pick them up and enjoy them one-handed :-)

Hooray for a good check-up, even sans the wonderful and
gorgeous Doctor Hale! And good for Larry, insisting on your
seeing an opthamologist today. A retinal tear isn't to be
taken lightly -- but is easily fixable with laser :-)

Reggie: Have a fabulous Vacation! Between all the driving in snow
and the tension at work, you definitely need it. Are you
flying on Southwest Airline?

JJ: Hi! With your summer beginning to wind down, do you
expect to be in Canada for next year's snow?

(((((Ona))))) Gorgeous icicle pics! (James is just plain showing off with his stop-motion drips and drops!!!!<G>) Geoff: A "pick up" cruise sounds just the ticket! :-)
Kev: I always watch while they stick me for blood samples -- just now very frequently to check the coumadin levels. But some phlebotomists are definitely better than others at slipping that needle in!
Where's Carolynn?

To All: Be cool or warm indoors today, depending . . . and definitely take a lesson from Larry and Ellen and watch your step! :-)

Oh, that goes for me, too! LOL!

I'm off for my FINAL hand and wrist PT today -- my restored range of motion is amazing. I will just have to keep on exercising and strengthening my fingers on my own now, squeezing green putty, stretching rubber bands, and grasping folded paper :-)

Later, my favorite Thai Restaurant lemon grass and coconut milk chicken soup for lunch, and then a matinee of Black Swan with two Ph.D. psychotherapist friends. Should be fascinating to hear what they think about this "dark psychodrama!"

Lynn/LC

WthrLady
02-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Good Morning everyone!

I had great painting plans for the day, but woke up with my OCD off the charts. 'Tis a good day for cleaning, but NOT for painting! I managed to get my colour charts for skin tones done yesterday, so it's ready when I do sit back down.

So, after I finish cleaning this morning I suppose I'll sit down and work on my history blog instead of the painting one!

Catch up with you all later.

olliewood0702
02-11-2011, 08:30 AM
FRIDAY has finally arrived; and it's snowing lightly and dull and gray today. Still quite cold (17F) but a warm up in in our future. We may "flirt" with 40F on Sunday.:D

Welcome back Annie; glad you were moved by your Dad's service and the warmth of your family's love.:heart:

Morning Kev (happy painting) and Doug.

Geoff, yet another funeral for you? That must be hard on you.:confused:

LuLu, enjoy your day!

Reggie, great that you and Al will be enjoying some sunshine and warmth after all that snow.:thumbsup:

Uschi, did you get your skirt finished?

I put my camera software on my new laptop and uploaded my recent pics and was sorting through them last night. Tonight I'll post some of the girls on their skating rink Larry made them.

Sylvia, my eye doctor said that if I EVER see flasing lights to get in to see him right away; it's not good. Glad you're getting it checked out.:crossfingers:

Thinking of Pat's (((JAMIE & FAMILY))) on their furkid loss.:heart:

Unk.....that is too funny.....those women must have been lucky to have found ANY men wanting to share their lips.:lol: Hope you feel better soon.

Ona, icicles can be dangerous if they fall but they are lovely to look at. Thanks for sharing.

Hello there Lynn and Caryl!

Well, best get more coffee and start my workday now.

BBL:wave: :grouphug:

Strawberry Wine
02-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Good Day Washers

I have just read yesterday's very washy wash and today's appears to be becoming the same. - 20 C with blue skies here in the Grove.

Annie, welcome back ! You were missed

Pat, so sorry to read about Henry. Beautiful painting.

Re the blood pudding on Kev's Plate... Wish I hadn't asked? :eek: Some of you actually eat that and enjoy it ???. I am sure I could not even get a taste past my lips.

Uschi, your skirt sounds beautiful.. Make sure someone takes a photo of you wearing it... :thumbsup: on the hoarded belts.

Ralph, :lol: at the photo. Seeing the facial expressions on those women, I am sure the men of the time were thinking "Thank God for That"

Ellen, hope the shoulder is feeling better today.

Shirley, your orchid painting is beautiful Congratulations on the sale.

Char, congrats to you too. Dan has been down in Toronto at his Mom's since yesterday afternoon. The Real Estate agent was presenting offers and his Mom's house sold for $50,000 more than the listed price. :eek: So I have had a nice "me" time as well.

I am afraid I have to get up and move around for a while.. My back and hips are at their winter worst. Only 19 more sleeps and I will be in the warmth of Mexico. I am just going to find myself a nice rock and lay around with the other lizards and absorb the heat.

:wave: to all i have missed. BBL

Cheers,

Gail

CharM
02-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Good morning from a very late riser... I slept fitfully until about 4ish and then packed an entire night's rest into the next 4 hours... I've made the coffee, tidied the kitchen and turned on the tv to catch the morning news... My men are still abed (Matt doesn't have school today)... Speaking of the Boy... he managed 100% on his Medical Math test... :heart:

Snow flurries are gently drifting down to the cold, cold ground... We've warmed up to -10C/14F... it will continue to get warmer over the next couple of days so that it can... snow! :rolleyes:

I've been asked to teach two 6-week classes in the Spring at the Gallery. They'd like an afternoon class and an evening class. Honestly... it's too much... I might consider the evening class... or the afternoon class... oh gawd... I don't know...

My Students will finish their bottles next week... we'll have one more class after that and I'll lead them in a line and wash exercise... I've been sharing my experiments with them, and they're excited to try it themselves...

Uschi... I'm sure that your skirt looks lovely... I chuckled about the belts... I still have bell bottom pants... I just can't fit into them...

Hi Doug... I'm looking forward to you paintings... watercolour? Gouache? Both? :)

Welcome home Annie... gentle ((())))... you've been missed...

Hi Kev... :clap: that you're painting... I can't wait to see your colourful interpretation of *something*!!

Hi Geoff... my condolences on the loss of your friend... is your Studio warmed up enough for you to work in now? Ac**lic or watercolour? :)

Hi Lulu... what DVD have you been watching? Good on you for doing your colour charts...

Hi Jay... happy organizing... THEN... happy painting!!!

Well, that's something of a worry, Syl... I'm glad that Larry had you make an appointment to check it out... I used to cook lamb for the guys... and Matt's a true meatatarian ( :rolleyes: ), but he really objects to lamb, so we don't buy it anymore...

Hi Peter... Good luck with your upgrade! :crossfingers: Happy painting on your next portrait, too...

Hi Ona... nice pics... driving into town yesterday, I saw a house with icicles that were nearly touching the ground!

Wilf... kissing the lips of those ladies might have been a challenge with our without imbibing the amber liquid... :)

You'll have a great time on Holiday, Reggie... with all the stress you've been going through, this is really going to make a nice break!

LynnC... won't it be nice to have NO therapy appointments? It's amazing how much time they consume... I've been wanting to see Black Swan, too... If I don't sell off some of my paintings, the stacks begin to take over the house... :lol:

Hi Caryl... clean away... it's a good thing...

Darla... it'll be fun to see the girls skating pics!

Wow, Gail... Congratulations to Dan's Mom on the sale of her house! "Me" time is so nice...

Hi to JJ and all those yet to come...

So... the old man has just rousted (aren't we the laziest bunch on the planet today?), and I'll go and have my second coffee with him... I hope that your day is the very best possible! :heart:

shipbroker
02-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Afternoon all,

Just back from the funeral and a visit to my Mother too.....Funeral went very well lots of people in fact rather too many for the following Funeral Tea methinks, so we skipped it after saying our sympathies.....

Studio a little warmer so maybe some time this weekend in there, today a pint of tea and read four newspapers!

cheers
geoff

Ellen in Ont
02-11-2011, 10:48 AM
:wave: everyone,
It's a sunny and cold morning. I've spent the last few hours doing computer work and this afternoon I'll be making up the palettes for my students for the workshop I'm giving in a couple of weeks as well as putting together their "goodie bags". They get lots of freebies when they take my workshops. I buy multiple items when I see them on sale and give them at my next workshop. For example Daniel Smith had watercolour water containers on sale a while back for a couple of dollars each. I ordered 12. :lol: They are also each getting one of those plastic templates for different sizes of circles because they need it for doing irises and pupils for the eyes they will be painting. I also throw in things like pencils, kneadable erasers, writing pads for taking notes etc.

Lots of other small things to do as well but not worth mentioning.

I picked up an overtime shift for tomorrow nightshift. I'll be more careful walking.:rolleyes: I never run during the winter but a car turned the corner and I didn't see him until I had to jog to clear the intersection (cars can't stop quickly on ice so it's best to get out of the way if possible). My shoulder is back to being the same degree of sore that it was before I fell. I think I'll have to see the doctor because it isn't getting better and it is mostly sore during certain positions while moving it. It might be a torn muscle.

Char - I can't imagine you taking on more classes!:eek: I don't know how you manage all you teach now. Some retirement. :lol: Only agree to do what will make you happy. No one needs to add stress to there lives when they don't need it.

Lots going on here already and I need to get off this computer. Have a great start to the weekend everyone. Feel better, stay safe, and have fun.

BDorsa
02-11-2011, 11:02 AM
:wave: hello dear watercolor artists

Cold & rainy here today on the Carolina coast...sunny & temps 55F - 60F for the next few days...as long as it's not too windy, I'll have to go for a walk on the beach...

:grouphug: hugs to all here who need them :grouphug:

Doug: I'm looking forward to seeing your finished paintings...I hope to paint today also

Annie: (( glad you are home safe & all went well ))

Kev: do you ever paint from imagination? no reference?

Geoff: (( sorry for you loss ))

Lulu: have a good workout

JayJay: I've never worked with brusho. do you like it?

Sylvia: best of luck today at the doctor. perhaps the flashes are occular migraines...I get those.

Unk: lol feel better, have fun painting the landscape

Reggie: is that a snowfall record for your area?

Gail: hope you feel better

Char: your class yesterday sounds like it was a good one...I guess toss a coin to decide afternoon/evening for the next set of classes...lol

hi Ona, JJ, Lynn, Caryl & Darla

((( hugs for Pat )))

I'm off to do a little housecleaning (ugh) then I'll spend some time painting in my studio....enjoy your day/night :heart:

edit: hi Ellen, we xposted

CJMonty
02-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am here. Sorry I have been so slack with the posting, I will have to pullmy finger out, I generally find time to read the Wash, but I'm not sure where the rest of the time goes these days.

Here it is the end of yet another week and I am back to work tomorrow. As you all know, I am one of these weird people who absolutely LOVES work, I love all the challenges that my babies and their parents throw at me each shift I am there.

I have spent the past week trying to put the finishing touches to a cot quilt and have e ded up doing a couple of small quilts for the nursary to practice getting my mitred corners right on the binding. I have also had acouple of appointments, and of course thete is always the general daily chores you have to get done no matter what.

Well, I have taken the Bull by the Horns and have worked out a walking shedule for yself and Monty, it works out we can walk 5 days per fortnight, and so far we are averaging about 4 kilometres in about an hour. When we do the Lakeside one, we take the two Furkids, but the older one, Trixie drags her feet towards the end, but then wants to play ball when she gets home. Hopefully all Four of us will benefit.

Well, it is rather late, as in half pastmidnight on the 12th now, as after Monty left for work, I utilised to cooler end of the day until it was past dark, vacuuming the swimming pool, handwatering everything that is not reticulated and hanging out 3 washloads on the line, then went in to do dishes. This didn't leave a lot of time till bedtime.

Will say cheerio for now.
Lots of Love Carolynn :grouphug: :grouphug: :heart: :heart: :heart: :) :) :clap: :wave: :thumbsup: :heart: :heart: :heart: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Uschi
02-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Just popping in to say HI!!!

I have nothing interesting to report today, well, even less interesting than normally and Char has made all the appropriate responses to others' posts, so "what Char said":D

Char, only one course!! Let them put their name down for the next one, that way you'll never have to wonder if a course will go or not:thumbsup: :lol: Oh, just thought I'd reiterate that "I told you that you'd be that popular"!!:smug:

Ellen, glad you didn't hurt yourself even more!!

Ona, your paintings are geting better and better!!! re the icicles - pretty yes, but not a good sign, usually means that the attic isn't properly insulated and the heat from the house is going out of the roof. I am looking at the many houses around me and not one has icicles. You might want to add extra insulation before next winter.

:wave: and wishing you all a good day!!!

Uschi

LynnM
02-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Hi everyone :wave:

Nice bright cold morning here. I am looking forward to meeting a fellow WCer, a printmaker, at a big printmaking studio today, will be fun to inspire each other and get a boost from the work on the walls. And then back to painting and sewing!

Lulu, I am working on another ball gown, this time for a dancer in Texas, she saw my website and contacted me, kind of neat, eh! It is beautiful blue taffeta, she will look stunning in it! And then there's another one waiting in the wings, so lots to do. I wish I could stick to working out as you are, I find it hard to get myself out into the cold, and just say, I'll do my weights here.....and then, well, there's always something else to do :rolleyes:

Uschi, would love to see your skirt (and you, of course!)....sounds like you know what you are doing around a sewing machine :) I thought the same as Lynn L/C, if I had the belts now, I could certainly not get them around me :lol:

Congrats to Char and Ona on their sales, hope this is a good sign for sales up this year.

Happy holidays to those going south, you lucky dogs :envy: !

Glad you are painting, Kev, let us see!

All the best to everyone else :)

Big :grouphug: to all in need, have the best day possible :heart:

Edit: forgot to say that my latest w/c (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13115372#post13115372) is in the gallery.

shipbroker
02-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Me again......

Unlike most on WC I am not sentimental about dogs or cats but understand that many are and their reasons.....the demise of Jamie's dog mentioned by Pat yesterday was indeed sad.... but today I received the following e-mail....

Now it may not be true as many are not...BUT I thought I would share it with the dog lovers amongst you...

""
Our 14 year old dog, Abbey, died last month. The day after she died, my 4 year old daughter Meredith was crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey.. She asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to heaven, God would recognize her. I told her that I thought we could so she dictated these words:

Dear God,
Will you please take care of my dog? She died yesterday and is with you in heaven. I miss her very much. I am happy that you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick.
I hope you will play with her.. She likes to play with balls and to swim. I am sending a picture of her so when you see her You will know that she is my dog. I really miss her.
Love, Meredith

We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey and Meredith and addressed it to God/Heaven. We put our return address on it.. Then Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven. That afternoon she dropped it into the letter box at the post office. A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet. I told her that I thought He had.

Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch addressed, 'To Meredith' in an unfamiliar hand... Meredith opened it. Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, 'When a Pet Dies..' Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope. On the opposite page was the picture of Abbey &Meredith and this note:

Dear Meredith,
Abbey arrived safely in heaven.
Having the picture was a big help. I recognized Abbey right away.
Abbey isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart. Abbey loved being your dog. Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep your picture in, so I am sending it back to you in this little book for you to keep and have something to remember Abbey by..
Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you write it and sending it to me. What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her especially for you.
I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you very much.
By the way, I'm easy to find, I am wherever there is love.

Love,
God ""

Nice isn't it....

geoff

happhoto
02-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Happy Friday Washeroonies!!

Sorry I've missed the last couple of days, it's been rather hectic around here, nothing spectacular, just several junctions of needed activity crowding my time....:( And some cleaning as well. Did manage a little painting though and I feel much better for it!!

Welcome home Annie, I'm sure the cats appreciate the rewards of your return! I hope the pain of your father's passing eases with the memories of his well lived and well loved life! :grouphug:

Kev, SO good to see you back among the fold and painting too!!:thumbsup:

Pat, :grouphug: so sorry to hear about Henry...sadly the bullmastiffs are prone to those tumors:( Now you'll have no one to protect you from Banya!

Doug, I hope you can encourage Arnold to come back to WC, if his IP is now unblocked.

Geoff have you never considered putting a small electric heater in the studio to make it more comfy in the winter?

Lulu, your days are always so full!! Hope the AB do well, it's even going to be on TV here this weekend!!

Welcome back Jay! have fun painting today!!

Sylvia, my Anne had flashes as well...and they were optical migraines, not painful but she does lose some equilibrium when she has them...I'd much prefer those with no pain to the ones I used to get!!

Peter, i'll have to hop over to your blog and look for the newest indian!! Glad to see you here in the wash again as well!!

Ona, I hope the entry, and all the extra effort on the newest painting (spectacular work by the way!!) means YOU are feeling a bit better as well!!:crossfingers:

Wilf, one look at those ladies might have me REACHING for a bottle!!:eek:

Reggie, have fun in Florida, they must have really wanted you at the VA...usually you don't get any "advance" vacation time!! Take lots of reference photos for later painting use!!

JJ:grouphug: Hoping things are progressing well for your plans!! Have you been having more fun with the new lens?

Lynn, good to see you posting as well!! I really like Natalie Portman's skills...but not sure I want to see a movie as dark as Black Swan is reported to be. I'm sure the conversations with your friends afterwards will be very interesting though!!

Caryl...I'm glad I'm not OCD if it MAKES you clean!!:eek: I'm more OWC...(oh who cares!!)

Darla, looking forward to seeing the skating pictures! Hope you have a relaxing weekend...stay home and have some fun!!

Char, looks like you could have a promising career as a painting teacher!:rolleyes: Only do as many as YOU enjoy...and remember, it's better to have a waiting list than trying to fill and "extra" class! Have you ever thought about teaching on a Cruise...like Arnold Lowery does?? You'd be great!!

Ellen, glad your shoulder is better...ish...you SHOULD have a Dr look at it...but you already knew that :rolleyes: . I'd want to take one of your workshops too!! You and Char should do the Cruise thing together!!:thumbsup:

Bridget, have fun today ! I seldom paint from references...and even when I do, my imagination takes me elsewhere!

Carolynn, good to see you back as well! Glad you weren't among those many homes burned this past week!:eek: I too have a job that I love going to, it's more fun for me than work!!

Uschi...now you can be styling bigtime on the cruise! Take lots of pictures to make us jealous!!

I'm hoping to make it down to the Studio today and maybe get some more postcards painted. And I'm working out an idea for color mixing as well...sort of a color chart/card idea.

Have a fun day everybody!!

hap

Yorky
02-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Hi Hap, I love you sense of humour :)
Doug, I hope you can encourage Arnold to come back to WC, if his IP is now unblocked.
I have explained the problem to Arnold and he accepts it, but because of the automatic "ban" message he received he is offended and is unwilling to reboot his modem.

Doug

Roun2it
02-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Kev: do you ever paint from imagination? no reference?

I do yes quite often but that's when I'm in the swing of things, I haven't painted for months and at the club you have people milling around nattering and asking questions or generally just distracting you ........ :wink2: I just felt it easier to flick through a book.

Doug I got that message several times and I can sympathise with Arnold as it is not worded very nicely and the link it gives you to contact someone is severed so no one gets your message. I hope he reconsiders though as it was the fault of his ISP and not WetCanvas.

shipbroker
02-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Hap said "Geoff have you never considered putting a small electric heater in the studio to make it more comfy in the winter?

I actually do have a fan heater in there which works well on me...but it tends to be quite damp in there too...so whilst I am warm the paintings take a little too long to dry......example the last acrylic I did I left surplus paint in my mixing tray ( I use used food trays) and 2 days later the paint was still soft! Normally it goes hard in an hour or so...
However, the weather is improving and yesterday we turned the oil boiler off for two whole hours during the day...and opened the conservatory doors too!

cheers

geoff

CharM
02-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Hiya! It's been a nice day here... just putzing around the house... a little tidying here and a little painting there... I've made a dozen whole wheat hamburg buns (they smell divine) for tonight's dinner, which'll be manwiches I think...

Ooooh, Ellen! Goody Bags! What a fun way to get your students excited about their art materials! I sure hope you can get some relief for your shoulder... (())

Bridget, a walk along the warm beach sounds heavenly!

Hi Carolynn... you've been pretty busy, eh? Your quilts sound adorable... take some pics, would you, to share with us... :)

Hi Uschi... with such a *boring* day ahead of you, did you think to wet your brushes by any chance??? :p

Talk about sewing up a storm! That IS neat, Lynn... I love the feel (and sound) of taffeta! I'd love to see that gown, so please take some photos too, ok?

Awwwwh, Geoff... you old softie... :heart:

Hap, I love that phrase... "Junctions of needed activity" that crowd your time... so true!

Kev and Doug... Arnold will have to make up his own mind, I guess... a former WC member who was permanently banned did make some unsavoury comments on Arnold's facebook page... and another (who's had his share of controversy) also advised Arnold that he didn't *need* us anymore...

On the other hand, perhaps it wouldn't hurt for our Admins to have a look at exactly what's being emailed out... I had an experience recently with a couple of people who were trying to become new members... the automatic messages sent to them didn't read very pleasantly, either...

I think I'm going to read for awhile... so... I hope you enjoy the rest of your day...

WthrLady
02-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Been getting A TON done on the history blog I run! I'm hoping to get back into my studio tomorrow!

painterbear
02-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Good Bleery Afternoon all,

I'm back from the Opthamologist and he dilated my eyes so everything in front of me is blurry. Maybe I should paint something...it might look "loose" for a change. :lol:

Bridget and Hap, I had never heard of Ocular Migraines until you mentioned them ^^^. Turns out that is what I seem to have had, not a retinal tear. :D I will do a bit more research on what causes OMs. Larry thinks it is stress since the last month has been everything but calm with his wrist break, having to drive to the Base frequently (he usually does most of the driving), bad weather, ice storms crashing trees on our heads, no electricity, no phone, internet, or TV. Gee, why would I be stressed. :confused:

Geoff, What a loving person read that poor little girl's heartbroken message and responded so beautifully. There are good people in the world. :heart:

re Arnold: He knows he wasn't banned, Doug informed him of that fairly quickly. However, he got up on his high horse (with the help of some of his "buddies") and now he doesn't want to get down. He is free to come back whenever he gets over his snit if he wants to, so he'll have to make the decision, Doug has certainly gone out of his way to tell him it was all an error.

Char, You are a born teacher, no wonder they want you to take on more classes. Do whatever you feel comfortable taking on and leave yourself enough time for painting outside of class works. You need to have that free time for YOU.

UNK, From the looks on those faces, I'm not sure too many people would want to kiss those lips. ;)

Ona, Beautiful pictures of ice cycles. I love the dripping water in the one James took.

Can't really read to well, so I'll just have to say :wave: for now.

SYL,

Sylvia

Lulu
02-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Hi everyone:wave: lunch time in Kiwiland..........have had a fabulous morning, went early to the gym, then walked around town, which is a-buzz with people, just doing Saturday morning shopping, cafe-ing, buying or browsing at the fruit and vege market. I bought some newly picked apples and plums. Our own apples are not quite ready yet.

Char, I am watching Susan H-T's watercolour DVD.

Lynn/LC, gosh, thanks for the compliment!:o

Unk, that photo is soooo funny!!! :lol:

Ona, great icicle photos!

Hap, it will be the Rugby World Seven's showing on your tv today. They are at Las Vegas this w/end. No All Blacks in that, but some amazing players - watch for Declan O'Donnell, he's the newest star in rugby and a young man to 'watch'.
Last w/end in the Sevens here he got 10 tries over all the games they played in.
I'd love to go to the Seven's one day, looks like one big party lol

Well, after my walk and gym this morning am feeling energised, and it's a beautiful day so will go out into the garden after lunch.

BDorsa
02-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Sylvia, I'm thrilled you don't have a torn retina. Ocular migraines (http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/ocular-migraine.htm) are a bit disconcerting...freaked me out the first time I had one. The most common cause is stress. For me, the best thing to do is close my eyes, put on some relaxing classical music & take a nap. They clear up in under an hour.

((( hugs everyone )))

happhoto
02-11-2011, 11:32 PM
I'd have paid good money to have Ocular Migraines!! The migraines I always had were excruciatingly painful, tunnel vision, nausea and the feeling of a spike being slowly pushed through your brain....Only thing that would help was heat (usually a heating pad) and sleep.. Then...one day they quit happening!:eek: I used to get 4-8 a year and each time they'd knock me down for 2-4 days!!

Did NOT get to paint today :( but did get to make a very nice Valentine's dinner for Anne, her favorite, spaghetti...and it WAS good!!

Not sure about tomorrow, but more than likely it will not be painting. I'm giving Anne the choice of activities that she'd enjoy this weekend...so it's anyone's guess what will be on the menu!!

LuLu, I'll be watching, but I don't understand the game very well!!

chat with you soon!
hap