PDA

View Full Version : should I try and do this in pastels?

Birdie
02-15-2003, 01:28 AM
I drew this to night and now I am wondering if I should try and do it in pastels...?

Thank you for looking

Birdie:rolleyes:

for got to put the picture in sorry

Birdie
02-15-2003, 01:29 AM
here it is

angecald
02-15-2003, 01:31 AM
It's a splendid drawing, Birdie. I would sure like to see it done in pastel.

Dark_Shades
02-15-2003, 09:53 AM
would love to see this in pastels Birdie ..... nothing ventured.... nothing gained :)

Bkargraves
02-15-2003, 10:55 AM
Why not pastels!! I think this would be a lovely pastel floral. I personally think that pastels do a beautiful job on florals because you can get that velvetty( if that is a real word) texture of some flowers. I say go for it.

bnoonan
02-15-2003, 11:48 AM
Birdie, How can you resist not capturing that in those rich bearded iris colors??? It would be a natural. I agree with Bkargraves - that texture of the throat of these flowers is perfect for pastels.

Promise us you'll share the results.

Barb

Artaholic
02-16-2003, 02:28 AM
Birdie, go for it. :clap: Can't wait to see it in color!!
Gerry

Birdie
02-16-2003, 02:41 PM
So I hope to try and get to this in pastel soon.... thank you for all the nice comments. Now to get out Jackies' video on flowers as I tend to work in landscapes....lol

Katherine J
02-16-2003, 03:42 PM
Definitely!

Katherine

Mikki Petersen
02-17-2003, 03:00 AM
Oh, yeah! It is a beautifu drawing. Would make a really fine painting. I don't know what you used to draw it, but if it is charcoal, you could use a spray fix on it to seal the charcoal and then continue on in pastel with the drawing as a grissaile underpainting.

just dave
02-17-2003, 11:32 AM
...Yes, and I think it would make a great watercolor, too!

Birdie
02-17-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by 1mpete
Oh, yeah! It is a beautifu drawing. Would make a really fine painting. I don't know what you used to draw it, but if it is charcoal, you could use a spray fix on it to seal the charcoal and then continue on in pastel with the drawing as a grissaile underpainting.

I used pencil to draw it...can you pastel over pencil?

I did think about watercolor too......
thank you for your comments..

birdie:rolleyes:

bnoonan
02-17-2003, 01:27 PM
Birdie,
It's going to depend upon the type of paper you use. I'm no expert but haven't had great luck on canson myself.

Hopefully the others can offer advice.

Barb

Mikki Petersen
02-17-2003, 01:55 PM
I haven't tried it, I always draw with either charcoal or pastel pencil. I have seen other threads where they advise against using graphite for the drawing because it is slick and the pastel does not bite on to it. At the same time, I noticed your "Puffin" is pastel over #2 pencil. How did that work out? I also agree watercolor would be a nice medium for this subject. You could always do it both ways and see which one you like best. Perhaps to great works would develop from one subject.

Dark_Shades
02-17-2003, 02:05 PM
Birdie...... so as not to damage your lovely pencil drawing...... why not print out a copy and transfer it onto some pastel paper ... you wouldnt need all the details - just a thought :)

Mikki Petersen
02-17-2003, 02:19 PM
Good advice, Dark Shades.

Birdie
02-17-2003, 03:24 PM
I don't think is will work on the paper to use pastel, the paper is Cartiera Magnani 68lbs It is very nice to use pencil on but not enough tooth for pastel so if I did it again for pastel I would just out line it on pastel paper free hand ...
Thamk you for all the good ideas.......

BTDogMom
02-18-2003, 02:46 PM
What Darkshades said - the drawing is great, the pastel would probably even better, but I'd keep the drawing separate. Lovely:clap: