PDA

View Full Version : *** Daily Wash Wednesday 9th February 2011 ***

Yorky
02-09-2011, 03:47 AM
Good morning all, looks like I'm first here!

Overcast but dry and a litle warmer at 45F. Expecting rain later.

Yesterday morning I was painting snowdrops with Wyn and Jan Geoff :)

Nothing on the cards today, a friendly game of "Chicken Foot" scheduled for this evening with a group of friends.

Doug

Lulu
02-09-2011, 04:17 AM
Hi Doug, we'll join you in a game of chicken foot:)

Nice day here, but temperature dropped down to 23C today. Perhaps now we are at the end of our hot humid days, we'll see.
I stayed home all day today, pottering, gardening and painting.
Off out early tomorrow to see 'my' oldies, then have coffee with an arty friend, followed by a gym work-out.

Enjoy your Wednesday everyone and HHD to Darla!:wave:

Roun2it
02-09-2011, 04:22 AM
Mornin' each .......... :wave:

Fasting at the moment I've got blood tests later this morning .......... :eek:

I hate blood test my veins go into hiding and they have to dig around to find them ......... I came home last time covered in bruises on both arms.

Starving now .......... I'm sure I can smell bacon .......... :lol: :lol:

Yorky
02-09-2011, 04:27 AM
You're making me hungry Kev :)

Good luck with the needle - I usually come home looking like a pin cushion, they can never find a vein.

Hope you are feeling better today.

Doug

Lulu
02-09-2011, 04:35 AM
You were right about smelling the bacon Kev!:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2011/1118-IMG_6886aa.jpg

Yorky
02-09-2011, 04:42 AM
LOL makes my Bran Flakes look a bit wimpish! :D

Doug

shipbroker
02-09-2011, 04:49 AM
Morning all,

Grey,misty,windy,wet...exactly as forecast, fine weather again tomorrow JudyL for this region.

Eileen has to start her root canal work today so we are off to Bedale in an hour....

Sleep,not bad at all,not unbroken but 7 hours roughly which is good.....

Back after dentists.

geoff

watercolourfanatic
02-09-2011, 05:39 AM
Morning All.:wave: 09.38am. A dull old day but mild so the Spring flowers are beginning to push up even though we're still in the first half of February. This is often the worst winter month in the UK but not so far this year.

I think I'll take a trip to my local refuse dump and get rid of stuff that's been accumulating. Not so often these days as most of our rubbish is recycled. I used to go to the dump every other week but with the weekly collections rarely go at all.:thumbsup:

Possibly a painting session later on but will have to decide on the subject.

Have a good day one and all!:) .

Peter

Scene Chaser
02-09-2011, 05:55 AM
Good Day All,
I am staying home today in order to get some rest. I have had terrible headaches at night, probably do to stress on my arthritic neck.
I am off antibiotics since Monday and have had that darn pic removed.
I am still suffering from a loss of equilibrium from the antibiotics. I can't stand or walk for long as I get nauseated. I hope it's not permanent. Docs say it isn't, but I don't believe everything they say.

Hope they find a vein quickly for you, Kev.

Have fun with your friends playing dominoes tonight, Doug.

Congrats on the good night's sleep, Geoff.

Hello Peter, Lulu and all to come,
Bill

Yorky
02-09-2011, 06:35 AM
Sorry you are under the weather Bill, hope those dratted antibiotics wear off soon, it's very disconcerting to loose one's sense of balance.

Doug

ReggieS
02-09-2011, 07:00 AM
JUst want to say hi and have a great day! running late!
Til later!
That's some breakfast Kev!

Reggie

painterbear
02-09-2011, 07:07 AM
Good Morning all,
It is just about 6:00 a.m. here in very cold Oakwood. Temps dropping down below 0F/-20C tonight and not getting much higher during the day. Glad we don't have to go out today for anything. Brrrrrrrr!

Larry's checkup yesterday went well. He was dancing on air after the surgeon told him he probably will have the exterior frame removed next week if the x-rays look good. So we'll keep our :crossfingers: that that happens. Then we can throw away the shirts we mutilated so the sleeve would fit over the frame and go back to his normal clothes. :lol:

I am working on a couple of small paintings to send to various good angels who helped us out last week. I'm so slow with painting. :o

Doug, Have fun playing with your gouache paints. Wish we would see some snowdrops soon. Of course, the snow would have to melt first. ;)

Kev, Sorry to read about your physical problems. You've really had a tough year all around. I know what you mean about blood tests. I have very small veins and ask them to use the needle that they use for kids when trying to draw blood. A technician told me to drink lots of water before coming for blood tests because it helps make the veins swell up a bit. So I do that too. I also ask for one or two of my favorite techies to draw the blood because not all of them are equally talented in finding the veins.

Bill, Do be careful if you are feeling dizzy. We've learned how dangerous falls can be. Hope you get over those nasty side effects of the antibiotics quickly.

Geoff, Root canals aren't fun, but I hope everything goes well for your DW today.

:wave: to Lulu, Peter, and all who are on their way.

SYL,

Sylvia

Roun2it
02-09-2011, 07:24 AM
Hey Lulu I remember that breakfast ............... yum!!!!!!!

Sylv, I too have been told about the water trick ......... can't say it has worked for me in the past .......... but for today's test I was told to heat up the arm prior to the test as it makes the blood flow easier ....... Does it work????

Well they got 4 of those syringe things filled with blood ....... nay brimming shall we say ......... :lol: and only one vein and one attempt that's the first time that has ever happened.

What I did was heat the arm a couple of times with a cherrystone bag, you know the thing ........ wheat bags and the likes ...... you know pop them in the microwave for a couple of mins and put on an injury. I then put a thick jumper on and a warm coat and headed off to the vampire clinic. I'll certainly try it again next time.

Yorky
02-09-2011, 07:28 AM
That's interesting Kev, worth a try next time I go.

Doug

Ellen in Ont
02-09-2011, 07:36 AM
:wave: everyone,
Dashing out the door to work.

Darla - I weaned down my BP meds (with the doctor's knowledge) when I was loosing weight. I am on 1/4 of the original strength now.

Kev - our lab techs ask us to warm up a patients arm before they come if they have had problems finding a vein before.

The wind chill is about -25 so I'm quickly finishing a nice cup of tea and catching up on my emails before I get my coat on for work. Have a great day everyone.

painterbear
02-09-2011, 07:53 AM
Kev, Glad to hear they succeeded drawing blood without too many attempts first. I hadn't heard that before about warming up the arm first. Not easy for me to do since we drive 17 miles and wait in line (sometimes quite a while) before getting in to see the techies. Will keep my coat on though while waiting to help keep my arms warm next time. :D

Hi Ellen, Hope your work day is an easy one today. :D You're making our cold temps seem balmy with your -25C!

:wave:

Sylvia

Uschi
02-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!

-22C with windchill, not a cloud in the sky so it will be a sunny day.

Table tennis in the morning, Connie isn't feeling well so I will go and visit her to have our coffee klatsch.

Sylvia, :crossfingers: for Larry's continued improvement!!

Kev, great that they found your heated vein so easily!!

(((((((Bill))))))))) I had no idea that the antibiotics could create such nasty side effects:eek:

Geoff, :envy: :envy: about those pretty snowdrops you showed us yesterday. Don't envy Eileen:eek:

Lulu great photo of Kev, lovely breakfast mind you, would be a bit early for baked beans:)

:wave: to Peter, Doug, Ellen, Reggie and all yet to come!!! and as always - HAWLTAIN!!!

Uschi

CharM
02-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Good morning... at -16C/-4F, it's feeling pretty cold for this temperate region... we'll have to sell our firstborn just to pay the heating bill! :)

My husband and his friend are on their way to Michigan this morning... Rick (Ted's friend) came down here from Pefferlaw (near Gail's home) trailering his motorcycle. They're taking it to the Harley dealership to have the engine rebuilt. They'll be home later today, and then return tomorrow to pick up the machine.

Matt is off to school... so, that means I have a day to myself! I may do something. I may do nothing at all! :lol: My only commitment will be to make some kind of dinner for everyone (Matt's bringing his girlfriend home after class)...

Hi Doug, Lulu and Kev... are skinny veins a man-thing? My husband has trouble too... you could drive heavy equipment through mine... That's quite a breakfast, Kev... heart attack on a plate! :p

I sure don't envy Eileen today, Geoff! I hope that her dental work is relatively painless...

Hi Peter... we're pretty lucky that our recycling centre handles everything at one facility... one-stop dropping... :)

(((Bill))) Sheesh... you've sure had a bad time of it and I hope you begin to feel better today...

:clap: that Larry will be free!!! Sylvia, my hands swell in the heat and, of course, my veins get much larger... so, I'll make the leap, assuming that keeping your arms and hands warm will help in locating your veins...

Hi Ellen and Reggie... both on your way to work... stay warm...

I hope that everyone who's under the weather begins to feel better today and that all of you have the very best day possible! :heart:

We x-posted Uschi... you have a fun day planned!

shipbroker
02-09-2011, 09:33 AM
Afternoon,

Weather somewhat improved and now brighter and no rain....Eileen back home with numb gums so unable to eat or drink just yet.....no problem for me though!!

Blood letting......never had any problem, in the days when I was allowed to give blood, to our National Blood Transfusion Service, I was known as a quick bleeder and was even used once for a direct transfusion..in a London Hospital.

But if I go into hospital they always want me to give samples from the right arm which was never used and has tight veins.....ignoring the soft left side which managed 54 pints!

My late SIL couldn't give blood samples other than from her toes!!

Kev ((((((((((((())))))))))) you and your family are really going through it.

Sylvia...good news on Larry's progress.

cheers

geoff

ona
02-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Yes Bill, long term antibiotics can have some very nasty side effects but like my doctors tell me the alternative is me not being alive. Hope you feel better soon and the infection stays away.

(((Kev))) Glad you only had to be stabbed once by the vampires.

hugs to anyone else who needs them

I`m off to paint

Ona

Yorky
02-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Lunch over!

Good news on Larry's arm Sylvia, hope his infection is cleared up now.

Hi Ona, checked your blog - your painting is going to be terrific - wonderful subject.

Doug

ScarletLake
02-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Hello Everyone

It is almost 9AM here in COLD Ohio. I'm ready for the 40 degree temps to get here, aren't you Sylvia.

Very envious of all those with spring flowers starting to peek through.

Well I researched the Savella med and my symptoms are listed as side effects - hot flushes, palpations, increased B/P. So I believe that to be the cause. I took B/P this morning and it was 118/70. I will say that I am very sore/achy today. I'll keep an eye on things. Side effects don't always last and is not the same as allergic to a med.

I'm hoping to get to go downtown for a coffee around noon today. Waiting to see if I get a call from the landlord about a visit on oven.

Planning on getting some painting done this afternoon and looking around for items that I can put in my little space in the shop when it is ready. Just a FUN hobby.

Bill - sure hope you feel. I know you are glad to get done with the pic line and antibiotics. So sorry that you have had to go through all of this.

Darla - got your PM . Hope that you get rested from your trip. Yes, I think my Josh would like this too. Keep him in your prayers.

Sylvia --I know Larry will be glad to be a Free man again. Our MD at the nursing home took a spill in his office parking lot and did the same thing to his wrist and hand. I heard that he has 9 pins in his wrist. He is out of commission for now. I should paint him a card:heart:

Well I can't think anymore without breakfast

Will check in later

Anita

Strawberry Wine
02-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Good Day Washers !

Cloudy with flurries here this morning but not quite as cold.

Early every morning I put out some mixed bird seed on the front deck rail. This morning I saw 5 female cardinals, juncos, and lost count at 25 goldfinches as well as a variety of different sparrows.. The Blue Jays will arrive a little later. The occasional Goldfinch is starting to have a bit of yellow under their chins.

Bill, glad you are listening to your body and not pushing yourself. Wondering if your equilibrium problems have been caused by a virus or a bacteria to your middle ear. Whatever the cause, it can take some time for it to disappear... Does the room spin when you turn from one side to the other in bed?

Char, isn't it nice to have a day to yourself and do whatever takes your fancy. Say HI to Rick from us.

Sylvia, glad to read that Larry's wrist frame may be removed next week. He will feel like a new man.

Uschi, I hope Connie has nothing communicable if you were going to visit her.. Keep your distance. :)

Anita, I think you are right about the new meds causing your BP to rise... Keep monitoring it.

Kev, what the heck is that purple item on your plate?

Doug, chicken foot sounds a bit like Cluckers and you are playing it indoors. :lol: Thanks so much for the drawings on how to determine vanishing points I have printed it out.

Need to get a move on so I will :wave: to all.

Cheers,

Gail

olliewood0702
02-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Well hello all you SQUISHY, LEAKY people!:lol:
AND HAPPY HUMP DAY TO YOU ALL.:wave: :D

Kev, I think as you age your veins get much harder to get blood from. Seems to be the case with me although on Sunday they only had to poke me once and managed to get a vein. I still bruise badly though. I'm glad they only had to stick you once.:thumbsup:

So many of us with medical problems.:grouphug:

It's FRIGID here....windchill -10F. Sunny though so that is nice. I'm thinking February will be the worst month for cold. Hoping for a few thaws coming our way in March.:crossfingers:

Doug, wow 45F sounds downright balmy to me about now. AND GEOFF....wonderful pic of the snowdrops.

WHOOHOO for LARRY, SYLVIA! REmoval of that contraption will have him smiling all day.:clap:

Good morning/evening to LuLu, Char (enjoy your day alone), Gail, Ellen (don't work too hard), Anita, Bill (hoping your equilibrium improves), Peter, Reggie (have a good workday), (((ONA))), and Uschi.

Waving to all who are yet to come (AWAYTC) and sending healing/smiling vibes and Hugs and white light to all in need (HAWLTAIN).

MAKE IT A GREAT HUMP DAY!:wave: :grouphug:

BDorsa
02-09-2011, 12:23 PM
greetings dear ones....

I'm feeling like my old self today :clap: The sun is shinning but it's a bit cold outside 43F. I painted a little yesterday after straightening up my studio & I plan on painting some more today.

Doug: have fun tonight

Lulu: enjoy seeing your friend

Kev: glad you weren't tortured too much with the needle

Geoff: glad you got some sleep. ((hugs)) to Eileen

Bill: ((( feel better )))

Sylvia: that's good news for your Larry!

Ellen: brrrrrr stay warm

Char: whatcha making for dinner? I'm grilling pork chops tonight

Gail: I love watching birds at our feeders too

hi Peter, Reggie, Uschi, Ona, Anita & Darla

gotta get the laundry put away then I'll be in my studio for a while. :D

Europa
02-09-2011, 12:59 PM
AFTERNOON WASHGANGEROOS!!!

Just back from the dentist - still haven't got the new plate fitted - had to do some tweaking - he had to shave off some of the root of one tooth and the metal bit that was sticking out from the broken bridge. He assured me I didn't need an anaesthetic :eek: - so I trusted him - and he was right :thumbsup:

Going to be another four weeks before I have the plate fitted as he is going away on holiday (ok for some :( ).

Am off to Liverpool Veterinary Hospital tomorrow morning with Jamie - Debbie and the dog - they have an appt at 9am - so will have to be up around 8 am = earlyish night for me methinks.

Kev - now that is what I call a breakfast - since I found I could eat eggs again I have eggs bacon and tomatoes nearly every morning then sometimes for supper I have a cheese omelette - am I eating too many eggs???

Re meds - the docs have stopped my GTN spray as I haven't used one for 10 yrs since I had my heart attack - still carry one round with me just in case but am sure it's expired - then again I never do anything that may cause an angina attack.....LOL.

Nearly finished my painting - just got a little bit on the coat to sort out - hopefully get it done tonight.

Have never had a problem really giving blood although poor SWMBO does - we have had nurses who have got it first time - will try that heating thing next time.

Waving to everyone :wave:

LUGGLES

Pat xxx

Flattwo
02-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Hi to All

Geoff, 7 gallons is a lot of blood to give away, not all at once I hope :lol: Giving blood always reminds me of the hilarious Tony Hanncock sketch in the 60's

When I give blood it tends to spurt out like a fountain, last time it was like a horror movie scene, with blood all over the clinic floor

Henry

painterbear
02-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Char: whatcha making for dinner? I'm grilling pork chops tonight

I'm roasting spare ribs and baked potatoes with a side of swiss chard from our veggie garden.

Gail, What a wonderful array of birds you are feeding! I'm afraid if we put out bird seed, the only thing we would attract would be squirre!!!!!s and more squirrel!!!!s! :rolleyes:

Char, Hope you are enjoying just having the house all to yourself today and taking it easy and relaxing. :D

Uschi, Glad you are getting your $$$$ worth on the snow removal. I helped Larry shovel out our driveway this morning (of course, we only had 1/2" of snow on it and it was more like push it out with a big broom, but it sounds more dramatic to say shovel it out. :D).

Pat,
Hang in there with the dentist, once you have your new set of teeth it will be worth it.

Henry,
Yikes, spurting blood all over the clinic floor. :eek:

Darla,
Larry was ecstatic yesterday with just the idea of getting it off. I'll have to tie a string on him next week to keep him tethered to the ground if they actually remove the arm frame. :D

Ooops, gotta go. Larry needs some help.

SYL,

Sylvia

JudyL
02-09-2011, 02:37 PM
OOOOO Blood:eek: Actually I used to give blood regularly, then they wouldn't take it cause they said they would not take it cause I would be anemic if they did. When I did, I had no problem, but my Mom always had what she called tiny slippery veins. My son used to give then they wouldn't take it anymore because we lived in the Azores for awhile! :eek: mad cow:confused:
Oh cherrystone bags! I never heard of them, but we have a few of them, to warm up our bed on cold nights. We had a hard time finding any, and none with out lavender.
Good day I went up to the WW meeting early as they needed help setting up, regular ones on holiday. Moving tables and setting up the check in area. But a good meeting, I lost a 1/2 pound.

Speaking of losing, I wonder if I have it right, regarding "Loose & lose " I have alway thought that LOOSE is something is too big, and LOSE is "I want to lose weight"
Oh well TTFN

Lulu
02-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Kev, what the heck is that purple item on your plate?

Very appropriate for today's common topic :lol::lol:...........It's called Black Pudding which is a blend of onions, pork fat, oatmeal, flavourings - and dried blood! (usually from a pig).
I couldn't bear to have it, although I have eaten it as a child.

BDorsa
02-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Well hello all you SQUISHY, LEAKY people!:lol:

umm.....ewww...:eek:
not sure I want to be squishy and/or leaky:(
I looked in the Washonyms list & cant find either word.

Flattwo
02-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Memories, memories of deep fried battered black pudding suppers, the original takeaway after a night out in the pub! walking home and scoffing the lot :D I am surprised that my coronary arteries are clear :eek:

Lulu, it was liquid pigs blood my grandmother used to use in her home made recipe, aboout 3/4 of a pint

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2011/3457-123166155_ac9ed121a3.jpg

Henry

CharM
02-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Hiya! I've done a bit of tidying... and thawed a couple of small chickens to roast... took the garbage to the recycling centre and met Matt and his girl for lunch...

Now, I'm going to get my brushes wet for awhile before putting the birds into the oven... they'll only need a couple of hours to cook through... potatoes will be those nice little red skins... and I'll make up a coleslaw... I bought a pie for dessert...

Lulu, I recognized that mass on Kev's plate... My Father used to make blood sausage... I have never been able to get it past my lips... *shudder*

Congratulations on the 1/2 lb. Judy! You lose your keys when you can't find them in your purse... if they all come off the ring, then they're loose in your purse... :)

Cya... :wave:

WthrLady
02-09-2011, 04:47 PM
I just burned two gallons of homemade chili! :mad:

No idea what's for supper.

olliewood0702
02-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Bridgett, "squishy" and "leaky" is a only a reference to "watercolor people....you know words that pertain to something "wet". ( I guess I should have used "WETONES" or "Watercolor Folks". So sorry. I meant no disrespect and sorry if I have offended anyone.:o

JudyL
02-09-2011, 05:56 PM
No, I like Squishy and Leaky, and with all the injuries etc, we could add Bumpy and Lumpy as well. Besides, Wet Ones are wet wipes in foil lined packets.

painterbear
02-09-2011, 06:10 PM
:lol: Judy!

:eek: Caryl. Too busy painting, I bet. ;)

Sylvia

WthrLady
02-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Chatting on the phone. Found more in the freezer!

BDorsa
02-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Bridgett, "squishy" and "leaky" is a only a reference to "watercolor people....you know words that pertain to something "wet". ( I guess I should have used "WETONES" or "Watercolor Folks". So sorry. I meant no disrespect and sorry if I have offended anyone.:o

:wave: no offense taken Darla !! I just didn't understand the reference...but I do now !! please don't change how you address water people. :thumbsup: :heart:

Europa
02-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Anyone interested have just posted my latest watercolour in the gallery HERE (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13075662#post13075662).........been a long time coming...LOL.

Btw - I LOVE black pudding :thumbsup:

Should really be in bed now as am up around 8am but I just know I will fall into bed around my usual time of 2am ish - oh well - will have a doze on the way to Liverpool.

LUGGLES

Pat xxx

Lulu
02-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Memories, memories of deep fried battered black pudding suppers, the original takeaway after a night out in the pub! walking home and scoffing the lot :D I am surprised that my coronary arteries are clear :eek:

Lulu, it was liquid pigs blood my grandmother used to use in her home made recipe, aboout 3/4 of a pint

Can't imagine eating it now (the thought puts me off) but I think I liked it as a child.
It's an extremely good source of iron - especially so with liquid pig's blood I'm sure.

And the topic of getting blood samples carried over into the real time conversation of my friend and I today, over coffee:D

Pat, I love your painting! Well done you! I have (somewhere on file) a similar ref photo of two women looking out to sea.

Another nice warm day here - 26C currently, although it's all relative isn't it, Nola would think that temp is cold!:lol:

laudesan
02-09-2011, 11:56 PM
- then again I never do anything that may cause an angina attack.....LOL. I'd rethink all those eggs. :heart: Huge for Henry!!

Black pudding yuk!! that and tripe will never pass my lips!!!

Judy look here (http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/Cherry-Stone-Pillows) for Cherry Stone pillows/bags in UK

hugs everyone.

Flattwo
02-10-2011, 10:22 AM
JJ, when I was a toddler (I'm not that old) there was a vendor who travelled around our district on a horse and cart, on the cart was a large container of tripe in water or brine, he used to pull it out and slice the amount off that you wanted :eek: my mother used to cook it in milk, I would not touch the stuff with a barge pole!

Henry

Yorky
02-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Oh yes Henry, I used to love the white crinkly kind with lashings of vinegar :D

Doug