PDA

View Full Version : Scratchy Corner Feb 7 - 13

ARTMUTT
02-07-2011, 09:18 PM
I'm going to kick off this weeks SC by saying congratulations to the Green Bay Packers, good game!!

Secondly I am thrilled that my scratchboard "Penelope" was juried into the "Art Show at the Dog Show" It's an honor to be included....I got my letter today when I got home from work.

For those of you that ship art work. Can you give me any tips on the best way to ship it to Kansas? I've never sent my artwork to a show before. Which carrier do you prefer. What type of packaging etc. I don't have a lot of money to work with so you savvy shippers please share your tips!

Have a fantastic week everyone! mine is off to a great start!!!

Obedec
02-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Congratulations, I've always shipped USPS, never had a problem. Well, except for my tiny pieces shipped in envelopes disappearing, but I think that's the USPS guys cause they know my work (and I think, they steal it).

lorna12
02-08-2011, 01:02 AM
Congratulations BethAnn...I love that piece!! When I ship my stuff, this is what I do...
I have corners that I fit to the framed piece...I place a piece of cardboard (a full piece, not like below) on the face of the piece and keep everything in place with plastic wrap. I put the wrapped piece in a box that fits snuggly, even if I have to make one out of larger box. I put a note inside to please use the same stuff to ship it back. I sometimes wrap it in brown paper to ship. For shipping, up here I use Greyhound and have shipped to Vancouver BC which is approx. 700 miles. I have also shipped by Canada Post wrapped the same way with good results...just depends on the size, which way I send it. I've been shipping these 2 ways for at least the last 5 years and have never had a mishap. BTW, I never use glass in my frames, I (personal opinion here)find them to be an unnecessary, expensive headache, especially when it comes to shipping.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2011/11613-002.JPG

FoggyMountain
02-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Congratulations ArtMutt; that is wonderful! Thanks Lorna for the shipping tips.

Rodman
02-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Bethann.......cool cool cool..

03ahmed
02-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Congratulations Bethann!!:)

Now that I have been taken on by a professional gallery, I have been advised to build a website. I wanted to ask a question, do you think it is best to display prices on a website or not? My framer/gallery owner/website builder are going to build my first website for me so I wanted to know if that is a thing you should display. The only person I know that does this for scratchboard is Cathy.

Another question, (am sorry). If you buy a picture from a photographer is it yours then??

ARTMUTT
02-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Great advice Lorna, I'm thinking I will do something similar. I am going to use plexi-glass instead of regular glass in the frame and lots of bubble wrap!! *LOL*
Thanks everyone!!

fire angel
02-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Congratulations ARTMUTT.

I haven't been around much lately, I have done a couple of small pieces, but nothing really fascinating. I am working on my art room in our basement and between that and my daughter's activities I haven't had a lot of time to get much done. I will be putting up the drywall soon and then I have to build my drawing table. Hopefully then I will be able to get more drawing done.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Rodman
02-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Greg...welcome back...first Mycheal comes back.....now you!!! We get Tapecat back and it'll be a scratchboard reunion! !!!

PatrickHedges
02-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Good to see you around Greg, and congrats to BethAnn.

Hmm Irfan, I'm not really sure. Looking through lots of professional websites, many many of them don't display prices but some do (only a few). It seems to me that prices are displayed by people trying to develop into professionals, but the ones who've made it don't bother. I don't bother as I can't be bothered to keep it up to date but a compromise is to develop a size based pricing structure and list it (5x7 = $such and such, 8x10 = such and such) on a price page and then sell all your appropriate size pieces at those prices. You must update that as you get your name out there, and then you must also raise it every year by a certain amount to keep up.

Crias
02-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Congrats Beth Ann on ASDS entry inclusion! I am glad scratchboard will be included agian this year, as I didn't enter any. I did get three photos in though. I ship with the regular postal service most of the time, but have also used UPS with good results. I avoid fed-ex as they have very limited insurance for artwork. I pack with foam and lots of bubble wrap when I am not using an airfloat box. Plexi-glass is important too!

Irfan I posted that question on facebook and had really mixed opinions on it. Some people said they did, many did not. I think it is personal opinion. Sites like Artists for Conservation have prices on each work listed. I have also seen a site where the prices were on a seperate page, but that was a pain to figure out which piece I was looking at and how much it cost. I can point you at some other sites that do include it if you want. Same with actual galleries... some list prices and some do not. I think it is up to you.

aaces
02-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Well CONGRATS BethAnn!!!!! Too COOL :cool:

03...I have prices listed on my site. As for the picture question...I'm not exactly sure but I offer this as an example....I contacted an individual on Flickr who said she would not let me use her photo but would be more than happy to sell me one....of course she also said she would retain the exclusive right so I couldn't create a work of art from it....I said.....ahhhh..........No thank you :rolleyes: Then went and found a similar photo....and the owner of that one said HECK YEAH!!!!! Go for it.:smug:

Crias
02-08-2011, 09:19 PM
regarding buying a photo from someone... depends on your agreement with the person. You can buy exclusive or non-exclusive rights of usage. If you buy exclusive it means they can not sell the photo to someone else to use in the future. Most photographers don't like to sell images that way and will charge a lot of money if they do. Non-exclusive means you can use it but if someone else also asks to buy it they can sell the rights to them as well (or to any number of people). Also the photographer always retains the original copyright (unless there is a special agreement that they are selling the copyright too - again usually lots of money!) so by purchasing the image you are not buying the copyright, but instead the rights of usage. Also usually you are buying the rights to use the image in a specific way (such as to create artwork) but you may be limited in the way that you can use the photo (for example you could not sell the photo itself, only the art you created from it). So as far as whether you own the photo once you buy it... usually what you own is the rights to use the photo in a specific agreed upon way. Clear as mud??

03ahmed
02-09-2011, 11:36 AM
I am so glad that this thread exists!!

Thanks for the advice Patrick, Cathy and Allan!! :) It really is confusing me, as I am the type of person that likes to get definite answers. :lol:

Regarding the photo question, Cathy, I take it there is no point in doing that then. Thanks for the information.:) I thought of it as a loophole to allow me to be eligible for the southwest 21 under 30 competition.:o Oh well. :lol:

I have looked at the prices on different sites, but I am trying to think if my work is worth that. My gallery owner seems to think so. :confused: I just feel that with each piece I do, it usually is better than the last. Also if I decided to start selling acrylic work, should you price it the same as you would for scratchboard? I spend near enough the same time on them as I tend to paint in all the fur strand by strand? Oh the confusion!!!!

Crias
02-09-2011, 01:47 PM
I think we often undervalue our art... maybe because we are our own worst critic and/or it comes easy to us and dont consider it a real skill. And of course you continue to get better, and hopefully also your work will also continue to go up in value!

When I think about the prices on my work sometimes I feel I am overpriced, but then when the gallery takes 30-50%, then I subtract my cost of framing (and shipping if to a show), then look at how many hours I spent on the piece... usually I am down to making about $14-$20 her hour... less than what I make at my regular job, which almost anyone could do. Not anyone can create high quality artwork. Don't undervalue yourself or your skills.

aaces
02-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Cathy is right on. DON'T undervalue your art and your ability. It is worth it.
As for your paintings.....who knows! :lol: I can't help there Buddy.....I only paint walls....and ceilings...and trim work in my house :D

03ahmed
02-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks Cathy and Allan!!:)

Speaking of paintings, I actually completed an acrylic piece today!!:D It is 4x4 of an african lion. Technically a miniature.:lol: Thought I would share. Oh and this is my 2000th post too. :cool:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2011/159151-lion_acrylic_4.jpg

I am going to do a big cat series as I have 4 of these boards, in addition to this there will be a tiger, jaguar and leopard. Hopefully this will allow me to hone my acrylic skills to the point I am happy to attempt a larger piece.:) Thought I would share.:lol:

Btw I have now been promoted from enthusiast to lord of the arts. :cool:

PatrickHedges
02-10-2011, 07:06 PM
You've been a "lord of the arts" for a while now, in my eyes at any rate!!

Obedec
02-10-2011, 10:35 PM
I agree with Patrick...this lion is wonderful!

lorna12
02-11-2011, 02:08 AM
Awesome work Irfan!!

aaces
02-11-2011, 04:27 PM
I agree with Lorna...Great work!

Strange question time....
Has anyone been to Cozumel? The wife arranged a five day trip for the two of us....and another couple....and I was wondering if there are going to be any chances for me to shoot some wildlife....shoot=camera....and wildlife does mean animals....not wild party goers :D I will probably attempt to get a cheap underwater camera for some reef shots....hopefully they wont be of the shark that eats me :eek::D I've looked at maybe visiting the ruins at Coba. I would appreciate any advice! We are leaving on the 23 of this month.

Garbonzo
02-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Allan, my wife and I went to Cozumel in 2001. We stayed at the Iberostar resort. We loved it and would love to go again. A hammock on every front porch, great beach but rocky bottom in the water, some of the best food I've ever eaten and "MAS TEQUILA POR FAVOR". We went to town once just to look around and went to Chi Chin Itsa ? Not sure about the spelling but it's some awesome awesome Mayan ruins over on the mainland. At that time you could climb the main sacrificial pyramid. What a view. That was great, well worth the bus ride. I only saw parrots, iguanas and burros. "Mas Tequila por favor!" :lol:

aaces
02-11-2011, 11:54 PM
What would one say for more Captain and Diet Pepsi???
I really need to get that phrase down before I go :D
"Mas Cap-e-ton par pavor"......what do ya think? Close enough??? :D
Parrots and iguanas would be cool....I see enough burros (donkeys....asses) here....it would remind me too much of work! :lol: I've been wanting to do an Iguana or some type of Lizard board anyways :thumbsup:
We'll be staying at the Palace... and it does look like a rather rather rocky bottomed beach but the snorkeling will be good.
Hey Rod....do you remember where you got your red Speedo thong at? I need a new swim suit :evil::lol:

Garbonzo
02-12-2011, 12:25 AM
Be careful that Diet Pepsi will kill you. :lol: Take some good water submersible sandals if you want to walk in the water near the beach, not flip flops. The rocks are fairly sharp. We saw several Iguanas running around so keep your camera handy. "You put the Rum in the coconut and shake it all up."

Rodman
02-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Aces...I saw the pic of you in your last bathing suit....the old " potato down the swim trunks" trick....works better.... if you don't put it down the back...

Rodman
02-12-2011, 02:22 PM
The scuba diving there is cool...drift diving...very relaxed...but the guides do seem a lil over protecting ...I can't remember anything except for diving in the am and drinking from then on...

aaces
02-12-2011, 03:59 PM
Rod......I can't begin to thank you enough for the tips!
I can hardly see to type cause I'm laughing to hard!
In the front....Got It!
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

objectivistartist
02-12-2011, 06:11 PM
OMG - you mean ye need one??? :eek::rolleyes::lol::lol::lol:

lorna12
02-13-2011, 12:17 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2011/[email protected]

MuttHut
02-13-2011, 03:34 AM
OMG you guys, Rod and Allan you are giving me some scary mental images here. ROFLMAO.

Wendy

pamelalbd
02-15-2011, 01:02 PM
Not going THERE! Not going THERE! NOT GOING THERE! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... there :eek:

Rodman
02-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Ill try to find the youtube video of Aces playing volleyball in that swim suit .. potato included....

ARTMUTT
02-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Ill try to find the youtube video of Aces playing volleyball in that swim suit .. potato included....

LMAO!!!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

fire angel
02-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Ain't nobody that needs or wants to see that!!:eek:

PatrickHedges
02-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Gee, the moderators should step in and delete all your thoughts :lol: :lol:

artofnature
02-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Rodman and Allan you have made my day. Got a pain in the stomach from laughing. The images running through my head are better than Rodman's crazy images.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well done Bethann:thumbsup:Great achievement.

aaces
02-15-2011, 07:28 PM
I did win that game though :smug: On the last point serve...
I threw the patato and hit their star server in the head. :smug:

Patrick....You can hit the delete button....anytime now!!!!! ANYTIME!