PDA

View Full Version : Johannes- Student Discussion Forum Week 3

Johannes Instructor
02-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Let's continue on in this thread for the week of February 7 till 13.

Davkin
02-07-2011, 01:42 PM
It might be a good idea to lock the older threads. The week one thread is still active even though a week two thread was made, and I'm sure the week two thread will continue to be active even though this thread has been made, it's all getting rather hard to follow.

David

sundiver
02-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Closed them. :)

Message from F&W to anyone who could not get the promo code to work when ordering The Artist's Brain:
You can contact through http://www.northlightshop.com/contact
and fill out a support ticket and it will go directly to those who need to take care of the situation.
Please pass this along if you hear of anyone having this problem.

susanc
02-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks, Wendy. That's great news for the people who tried the code and it didn't work.

I went out Saturday to take photos and was amazed by how stubbornly horizontal (side to side vs. front to back) nature seems to be--the top of our mountain line here, the cloud line, the horizon, the lake's outline, the tree line, etc. I challenged myself trying to find lead-ins that weren't as obvious as a path or the levee channel. I found some bare dirt patterns, some puddle patterns, some plant lead-ins, and lake reflection lead-ins. For me, it took some doing since I'm not used to thinking that way (and nature was not cooperating a whole lot, either), but in any event it was just great to be outside, hearing a meadowlark, ducks paddling around, a heron squawking in the reeds, as the sun was just starting into its golden hour. It doesn't get much better than that! :) I love landscape so this class is so perfect!

Ruthie57
02-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Susan, sounds like you had a great time even if nature wasn't co-operative!
Here in Norfolk it's quite flat, we sure don't have mountains but we have big skies. My problem locally has been finding pics with 3 planes. If I take a pic of trees it stops at the trees because the ground behind cannot be seen. If I take a view with a good foreground and a distant background the middle ground tends to be a huge ploughed field...not very inspiring. Even at the beach we have cliifs but no curving coastline to photograph them and we have very few rocks!

Violetta
02-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Having one thread per week is a great idea.

I'm going to repeat my comments from the previous thread since I don't think Johannes got a chance to read them:

Johannes, I'm enjoying your classes very much and learning a lot. Thank you for your time and dedication!

I also enjoy the demos. Even though I paint with watercolor and gouache, I learn from the oil demos, but I would love one in watercolor again. Do you plan to do another watercolor demo? If so, when? Thanks!

rizzok72
02-07-2011, 04:44 PM
susanc - I know what you mean about nature being stubborn! I've been looking at a bunch of photos I've taken over the years and the amount of straight lines, symmetrical shapes is shocking to me. Didn't see it before, but now I'm very aware thanks to this class!

susanc
02-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Ruthie, it will be interesting to see what suggestions might turn up to help you in your dilemma--sky scapes?, buildings?, intimate landscapes like Aspevig's "Land Snorkeling"? I have never lived anywhere without hills or mountains. I really wish I could export some rocks to you! :) We have far too many! I don't think anyone would notice if half of them went missing!

rizzok72--It's like having new eyes, isn't it?

Dave--I'm really going to miss that thread! We had so much history together... :heart: :D

Holly B.
02-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Posting second thread prior to uploading images.
:o))
Hi everyone, good fun!!

Johannes Instructor
02-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Having one thread per week is a great idea.

I'm going to repeat my comments from the previous thread since I don't think Johannes got a chance to read them:

Johannes, I'm enjoying your classes very much and learning a lot. Thank you for your time and dedication!

I also enjoy the demos. Even though I paint with watercolor and gouache, I learn from the oil demos, but I would love one in watercolor again. Do you plan to do another watercolor demo? If so, when? Thanks!Thank you Violetta. I do read all comments, Forgive me for not having acknowedged. There are so many.

pjreads
02-07-2011, 09:09 PM
I used the WCLIVE code to order a second book with Your Artist's Brain and got the discount for both books!

susanc
02-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Dave--I'm really going to miss that thread! We had so much history together... :heart: :D The thread and I have a lot of history. I realized too late that maybe that sentence could be taken the wrong way?!! Oops. Sorry. I hope I didn't scare you away, Dave! (And that my husband won't take it the wrong way, either!) :)

susanc
02-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Um, maybe I can help this thread move along quickly now by changing the subject! Let's see, anyone know a good art quote? I know, I finally found my Emile Gruppe quote, "If a picture is well-planned at the beginning, it will paint itself."

That's what I like about these classes. I'm now aware of a number of mistakes that I made in the planning stage alone. I am really looking forward to the planning the masses class, which, it turns out, is this Sat!? :thumbsup:

Johannes posted a syllabus at the beginning, before the start of the classes. If you haven't seen it, it's here:
http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12550332&postcount=2

Great stuff coming soon to a monitor near you!

Journeyman
02-08-2011, 04:09 AM
Tai-Shan Schierenberg has some interesting things to say about painting in Norfolk Ruth, he believes all aspects of his painting has improved immensely since he discovered Norfolk. If You donít already know his work look it up. :wave: Dave

Colorix
02-08-2011, 07:19 AM
I'd be happy in Norfolk, all we have is mostly pine forests, on fairly flat ground. And an archipelago. I find it a challenge to fall in love with blue sky, blue water, and a pice of bedrock sticking up through the water with a few pines clinging to the rock. (The alternative is grey sky, grey water, and a piece of rock... :-) Some farming, so then I get a huge field, with a narrow straight band of the edge of the pine forest in the distance, all the way across the picture. Or the city, with vertical boxes, and the vertical aspect emphasised by vertical drains, vertical windows, vertical doors.

One truly has to grow as an artist and be very inventive.

Johannes Instructor
02-08-2011, 07:22 AM
Posting second thread prior to uploading images.
:o))
Hi everyone, good fun!!
"Your Artist's Brain" will help you remove lots of shackles.

susanc
02-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Someone mentioned Clyde Aspevig's "Land Snorkeling" painting earlier :) , and it turns out that's a favorite activity of Clyde's. (I'm not sure if the following has been posted before from http://landsnorkel.com/what-is-land-snorkeling/)

Land Snorkeling (by Clyde Aspevig)
"Land snorkeling is taking the time to savor aspects of nature we ordinarily donít see or pay attention to. Land snorkelers wander thru nature with no intention of hiking to a destination. One contemplates what we find in nature and explores every possible connection with all parts of our natural world. Each blade of grass, rock, or creature has some connection to us. We ask questions looking at nature and find out what that connection might be Ė we develop our cognitive and abstract muscles to solve the problem. We have fun doing it. It helps us to think. Our imagination and creativity is enhanced and richens our lives in a healthy and productive way. Itís free and itís fun.

Land snorkeling is reestablishing the ancient connections to our landscape. We open up all of our senses to experience the hidden treasures of nature. We develop our intellect thru our senses. We sniff it, touch it, examine the texture, color, shape, etc. etc.
We look closely at things Ė like a feather found in the grass, a wing design, a rocks texture, and the pattern of a tree growing."

Clyde is really in tune with the outdoors. No wonder his paintings carry such a sense of place!

Colorix
02-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Susan, thanks for the link! Land Snorkeling... :-) Great name for an interesting and unavoidable activity. It is in my genes to do that.

Yabut
02-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Hey people, check out Brushstrokes magazine online http://www.brushstrokemagazine.com/issues/2011/hires/2011_01_hr.pdf
There is an article about Johannes and this course on pages 17-19.

Ruthie57
02-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks for that link too Yabut. Great article!

susanc
02-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks, yabut! And as a cover feature! So well-deserved. I love taking classes this way, and Johannes is sharing concrete principles, not vague theories, which makes this class so worthwhile as well as convenient. It's a hard combination to find, and I feel so lucky to stumble across Johannes here at WetCanvas in November! I appreciate him taking time away from his painting to teach us and hang out here, and F&W for making this all possible.

tjsb
02-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Many thanks to Johannes for the wealth of information he is sharing with us. I am thoroughly enjoying the classes and look forward to being enlightened every week.

hayday77
02-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Grat article about Johannes. And I like the magazine. I am going to take look at a subscription.

I viewed the cropped photos and wow - what a difference. I am excited to see what we learn next.

I really enjoyed Sunday's demonstration and was happy to meet so many great people in the chat line. Yes - I was paying attention at the same time.

Sheri Hammond
02-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Hi everyone I am relativly new to this forum and must say that I could cry because Johannes has helped me so much. I have been painting on and off for years and have many books on Painting but never understod the problems with my photos. All the examples help so much Sheri

Ruthie57
02-09-2011, 04:25 AM
It's great looking at the cropped photos thread, so helpful to see the original too and consider whether I would crop it the same, differently or not at all. That in itself is good learning even before Johannes comments on them!

susanc
02-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Much of what I've learned seems like common sense and I wonder why I hadn't caught on before! :o (Um, don't answer that! :) )

I am just amazed at my former way of thinking. Of course it makes sense to crop out the things that you don't want to feature in your painting! I was doing some of that, but not enough of it, before.

And since I'm apparently in a Gruppe mindset this week, two more quotes that I think relate:

"You don't want all your pictures to look alike. And if you learn to respond to the scene, they won't."

"What counts are those particular elements that appeal to you. When you think in these terms, you'll soon realize you don't need much to make a strong statement."

LAyers
02-09-2011, 10:12 AM
If I have Painting with our artist's brain by Purcell should I still buy Purcell's Your Artist's Brain?

susanc
02-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Very good question! I just found out a couple days ago that "Your Artist's Brain" is a combination of Purcell's two books: "Painting with Your Artist's Brain" and "Drawing with Your Artist's Brain". Johannes said somewhere that you're OK if you already have "Painting with Your Artist's Brain" :thumbsup: It just doesn't have the drawing part that's in "Your Artist's Brain".

Oh, finally found the reference to make sure I remembered it correctly--so many threads to keep track of here now! :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12939752&postcount=76

susanc
02-09-2011, 12:37 PM
The place to post your cropped photo homework is:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882712

These photos are too bad to be submitted there! They're just here to help make a point.

It was reassuring to read in Painting with Your Artist's Brain, "You will rarely find the perfect composition." I believe we're learning to think in a way that makes our compositions as perfect as possible from the start, solving as many problems as we can with the camera, then working forward from there.

I have a lot of subject matter nearby to paint. Mountains, lake, beach, some rare clouds...but if I'm not careful, even with all that on hand, I can still end up with a bunch of boring horizontal non-abstract shapes. (It was a rare humid day, which is why I was out taking photos.)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2011/1697-horizontal.jpg

I thought I'd be so very clever and turn to the right to break up the horizontal bands.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2011/1697-mirrorimages.jpg

Grrr. To my chagrin, I discovered that I had created a new problem: the lake and the mountains are almost mirrored images of each other!

Charlie is right--no matter what our situation, we have to learn to be very inventive to deal with all the punches that nature constantly throws at us. And hopefully, yesterday I learned constant vigilance! ;)

Colorix
02-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Susan, good point with your photos. So, what if you'd walked down to the water's edge, and pointed the camera even more downriver... er, sorry, downlake, I mean. Maybe the shore could have been 'melodified' to a nice lead-in?

I'm looking through my photos, from some 6 years ago. Groannnnn... I had no clue, back then, not even a hint of a clue. *All* pics are like your first with straight bands all across the picture plane. My later efforts are better, and can be made to work, at least some of them. I've hung over a lake, grabbing a tree-limb for dear life, balancing on a stone, and handled the camera with one hand, just to get a better shot with a better comp. And this year's photos will be much better, when I apply what Johannes has taught. I remember him telling about how he waited for a wave to have just the right lead-in, and only then pressing the shutter button.

teigrelily16
02-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Hi Yall :wave: : I'm kinda sorta new to WC and this is my first post. I am a graphite artist and want to get back into color. This class is incredible! Most of my photos usually have maybe one detail that I want to use in my drawings. I do have one photo that I took in central TX and it's almost exactly like one of Matt Smith's paintings and I took it many years ago!

Kudus to all of yall and especially Johannes.

Teigrelily16 (aka Sian)

winecountry
02-09-2011, 06:44 PM
love the land snorkeling link, of course I've always done this, just didn't have a term for it...and it fits so well as in snorkeling one just floats around and becomes part of the environment...and discovery is always fresh.

pjreads
02-09-2011, 07:47 PM
During the 30 JAN session when Johannes was discussing the student photos submitted for the first exercise, did anyone else experience delays in viewing the photos so that what Johannes was saying about a photo finished before the photo appeared on the screen (sound ahead of images)?

This could just be a problem with my system (which is more "state of the neglected" than "state of the art"). If other people had the same problem, I wondered if there was a solution to apply before the next session with the cropped photos.

Johannes Instructor
02-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Hi Yall :wave: : I'm kinda sorta new to WC and this is my first post. I am a graphite artist and want to get back into color. This class is incredible! Most of my photos usually have maybe one detail that I want to use in my drawings. I do have one photo that I took in central TX and it's almost exactly like one of Matt Smith's paintings and I took it many years ago!

Kudus to all of yall and especially Johannes.

Teigrelily16 (aka Sian)
Matt Smith is a strong advocate at mass planning which I will be teaching in the near future. He definitely plans most of his paintings to end up in mostly mid values.

Colorix
02-10-2011, 11:17 AM
...did anyone else experience delays in viewing the photos so that what Johannes was saying about a photo finished before the photo appeared on the screen (sound ahead of images)?

I experience the same (and some other funny stuff too). Image and sound isn't alkways in synk. Seems to be varying. I'm guessing that images that are 'heavy' come across too slowly. The clone-tool takes a lot of power, too, and everytime he uses it, the sound gets intermittent.

And, at the live webcam demos, about 40 people respond to his questions in the chat before the sound of the question reaches me (seems to be a 20 second delay).

Internet isn't so instant.

susanc
02-10-2011, 11:42 AM
I've hung over a lake, grabbing a tree-limb for dear life, balancing on a stone, and handled the camera with one hand, just to get a better shot with a better comp. LOL, yes, you are definitely a bit into all this! Bonus points for that one! I almost got down on my knees to take a photo, then realized that if my trick knee decided to be tricky, I might be stuck there for a while! No bonus points, but I think it turned out to be a good decision.

Unfortunately, the sun was so strong, it made a glare on the back of the camera. I couldn't really tell what I was shooting! So I shot a lot of photos and hoped for the best. But you are right--just moving around solves so many problems automatically. If I'd been closer to the lake, or even further back, its size would have grown or shrunk in relationship to the background mountain. I am chagrined that I was standing in almost the worst spot possible! :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2011/1697-birds_copy.jpg

I need a camera with a better zoom. I didn't want to scare the birds so I didn't get too close. I have a feeling that if Charlie had taken this photo instead of me, she might have considered stepping into the lake to get a better shot! (No birds in the No Fly Zone?) :D

winecountry
02-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Has anyone noticed that we are not posting many of our paintings recently, or is it just me?...my time is going to help a friend home from the hospital, tho I still paint everyday, I don't seem to be producing many finished works

Waterplay
02-10-2011, 01:56 PM
During the 30 JAN session when Johannes was discussing the student photos submitted for the first exercise, did anyone else experience delays in viewing the photos so that what Johannes was saying about a photo finished before the photo appeared on the screen (sound ahead of images)? I have broadband and it still takes awhile for the photos to load - so I hear the audio statements or questions before the image appears. Good way to see if I'm paying attention! :rolleyes:

Colorix
02-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Has anyone noticed that we are not posting many of our paintings recently, or is it just me?...my time is going to help a friend home from the hospital, tho I still paint everyday, I don't seem to be producing many finished works

Colleen, life has this irritating tendency to get in the way. Glad your friends is well enough to go home. My husband is ill, how seriously we don't know yet, but there will be surgery done. I've barely managed to follow the lessons, and paint one painting in the last 3 weeks. As husband is stable and at home now, I hope to get some energy from painting. (Painting gives energy, but one has to put first things first.)

winecountry
02-10-2011, 04:02 PM
(Painting gives energy, but one has to put first things first.)
so true, life threatening illness puts things in perspective for sure...only way I can stay sane and strong for her is to keep some painting alive. however she has grandkids who live on the property with her and I'm not the sole caregiver, or I would not be able to paint...

Hope all is well, stay connected one has to have at least one little part of life that is not about illness IMO.

Kat5
02-10-2011, 04:46 PM
:) Thanks for the F& W info Wendy :)

Kat5
02-10-2011, 04:48 PM
You all can ignore this i just need to post so I can shpow my homework.

winecountry
02-10-2011, 04:54 PM
just got a book I ordered used on Amazon, from the painter David Leffel....one of the greats of representational painting. Highly reccommend this, full of his quotes ( he is a famous teacher as well) Oil Painting Secrets from a Master

Try this one on...
Today, the biggest difficulty in learning to paint has been created by our educational system. Students are conditioned to be passive receptors of information. Learning to paint requires active participation. Many students patiently amass information with the false confidence that receiving this information alone will teach them to paint

Ain't that the truth....as we are finding out here:lol:

here's another, just the same as the stuff we hear, but in different words.
A good painting consists of a lot of "middle" and a little bit of "end." The ends are the highlights and accents. The middle is the general tone

Grainne
02-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Has anyone noticed that we are not posting many of our paintings recently, or is it just me?...

Well, Colleen, I've noticed this . . . at least in myself, even in another art forum I participate in, and I've wondered about it. Although I too have been dealing with some family health emergencies issues, I do have some time to paint, but I find myself hesitating to put brush to paper, even though I am excited as I can be about everything I have been learning through Johannes' excellent teaching.

So I've pondered it . . . is it part of the growth process? Whereas before I could just rush in where angels fear to tread and splash some paint around on a piece of paper, now I am more aware of where I can go wrong . . . where I might not measure up to all I have been learning with regard to principles even with all the "nuggets" to help me. I know more about what I want my painting to turn out to be/look like, so I am feeling a little intimidated I guess by the blank piece of paper.

I have been spending a good bit of time in studying my past landscape paintings by passing them through the lens of what we're learning, noting where I've strayed from these principles and visually correcting them. I've even caught myself thinking in terms of what would Johannes say if this painting of mine were on his virtual whiteboard and if he had his magic Photoshop wand in his hand, what would he change and how :D So that's good in its own way, I suppose.

I've even wondered if others were stuck in the same way that I seem to be and whether if we had a "paint along" with Johannes, all painting the same composition, if that would sort of get the "first difficult olive out of the jar" for us . . . if we were given an assignment so to speak.

But I guess now I just should pluck up some courage and go to it! Paint and post and see what happens . . . and if I disappoint myself, well, that indicates some growth in my understanding, doesn't it? :)

Anyone else had thoughts along this line?

Grainne ("Kaye")

Grainne
02-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Today, the biggest difficulty in learning to paint has been created by our educational system. Students are conditioned to be passive receptors of information. Learning to paint requires active participation. Many students patiently amass information with the false confidence that receiving this information alone will teach them to paint

Ain't that the truth....as we are finding out here :lol:

I think we just cross-posted :lol:

Grainne

Ruthie57
02-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Well, I've been painting (with my pastels) enough, trying to think of all the things we've been taught and apply them while still going with the flow. Some work, some don't.
I've posted one for critique today but, as it is one from the landscape challenge, I had to post it there too, meaning, as I understand it, I am not allowed to post it a third time.
Sorry to hear of those who are coping with illness, either their own or a loved one.

KenBratto
02-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Mr Vloothuis,
Thank you for your excellent instruction. Am picking up a lot of good instruction here.

Kumquat
02-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Hello, all, I am kind of new here and have been watching Johannes since the beginning of this workshop--he is fabulous! As a result, I've been poking around to find more information about his techniques and ran into this lovely gem.:clap: It really helped bring me up to speed on what he and some others more experienced have referred to during class that I didn't fully grasp. It is a 23-page article on composition that Johannes has posted in WC, and here is the url: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/135/120/index.php
It helped me so much that I thought I would pass it along for other newcomers like me out there that might need it. It was a great find for me!

Can't wait for the next class!

Stephanie_Draws
02-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Hi all :wave:

I find myself eagerly anticipating next Saturday! It's going to be very interesting to hear Johannes talking about our chosen photos and crop choices. Can't wait!
He does a fabulous job and I'm so glad that I followed the newsletter announcement for the course (also because it finally got me signing up here: such a wealth of information and so friendly, helpful members and guides). That it's free if you don't miss a live class is as phantastic as it's mindboggling generous!

And if Johannes does another demo sometime I'll try to paint along then. With the amazingly short time Johannes needs to create a complete painting from scratch it would certainly force me to stop focussing/fussing on details so long. Increasing speed can only be a good thing for me!

I too have one picture that I really want to paint though it goes against practically everything Johannes expects from a good photo to paint from. This one:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2011/765572-the_one_I_shouldnt.JPG
The forest on the left ist nearly completely blacked out by the camera, the lines are very straight and unmelodic, there isn't a center of interest per se....

It has at least a low horizon going for it and I suppose you could make the case that the coleseed field is one gigantic lead in ;)

Nansketch
02-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Just found the time to look at this discussion thread today --so, glad we are all together. Typically I have such a small amount of time, I check out one or two of the sections with paintings and try to comment as much as possible.

I agree and echo all the thoughts about "my photos are so bad" -- "I'm not painting as much" Dedicating so much time to the webinars does cut into my painting time but they are sooooo wonderful. (Johanes, cannot thank you enough for giving us this opportunity to learn from you). I am looking forward to going walking and 'photo taking' -- to find some new landscapes. Of course with 20+ inches of snow and 0 degree temps -- it won't be for a few days.

Best to all, wishes and prayers to those that are having tough times.
Nancy

palongwell
02-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Robert - Your class notes are terrific. Thank you.

rmincklerca
02-10-2011, 11:23 PM
My wife and I live in the lower mainland of British Columbia surrounded by mountains and rivers and streams and beaches and islands. Some are like the Grand Tetons and other mountains of the Rockies. Others look just like domes, so non-melodic. Some streams and rivers have very non-melodic lines. So do islands.

But the curious thing I have found from reviewing the many photos I have taken over the last 4 years of these sometimes boring awesome features of our Fraser Valley, our coast line and the Gulf Islands and mountains of both our province and Washington state is this - the light at different times of the day that changes the boring non-melodic lines of nature to incredible melodic lines and various values of colors that Johannes is able to bring out in his paintings and demos .Many of you have done that in the postings above and all over Wet Canvas.

If I can begin to approach the quality of mountainscapes and seascapes that I have seen then I can understand Turner's and Johannes's mastery of light Thanks for all the inspirations.

Oh yeah...Maybe Johannes can leave the flat prairies and the Rockies to come to the West Coast of Canada. Edmonton took him from smoggy Hamilton so maybe....

Barbara01
02-10-2011, 11:52 PM
I'm having difficulty with keeping up with producing paintings lately too, mainly because I've been dealing with health issues that take time to heal, but I will post some work when I've finished a few pieces. I hope everyoneís health and family issues resolve themselves in a positive light, and they find the time and energy to create.

Hey Charlie, I like what you say about painting creating energy, it does seem to on some days.

Iíve also noticed that other people aren't producing as much art lately too and hope that it not a sign that people are losing interest, maybe they're just integrating all the new material before they feel comfortable enough to post. Once long ago, one of my favourite teachers said that this is the time of metamorphosis and it takes a good deal of work and effort before we become our true artistic self. I see a lot of that on WC as it is; but with Johannes effort, I think there will be a good deal more.

winecountry
02-11-2011, 02:19 AM
this is something I'm working on...attempting to get the subtle iridescent color that comes just after sunset, the water has glints of an amazing glowing viridian. This will have to dry then I'll do the next layer as it will be toned down and made very softly hazy with foggy light...

This looks different than any other seascape I've tried...and the placement of the rocks is better than I've ever managed, still not where it will be in future, but each time they are better so I know I'll get there now, just need more practice. its beyond the logic of thinking now and entering into a more instinctive place so I'm just letting it unfold. I love the one in the nfz lower l just brushed it on and left it. I like it because it melts into the space and stay quiet.

More to come after its dry and the next layer goes on. I'll use zinc white, and dry brushing and apply impasto highlights on the near waters. No wave in this one only rough swells.

8x10 oil on mdf coated with white lead

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2011/103030-twilight_study_wip_14016.jpg

Colorix
02-11-2011, 05:28 AM
So I've pondered it . . . is it part of the growth process? Whereas before I could just rush in where angels fear to tread and splash some paint around on a piece of paper, now I am more aware of where I can go wrong . . . where I might not measure up to all I have been learning with regard to principles even with all the "nuggets" to help me.
Anyone else had thoughts along this line?

Grainne ("Kaye")

Oh, yes, I think this has a lot to do with it, I feel it acutely. Back in December, it was a bit scary, but now... how many ppl registered is there? Well over a thousand, if I remember correctly. So instead of a 100 critical pairs of eyes, there are... plus the lurkers... :eek: So a good thing we're humans, and can clomp around in all innocense (where angels...) :)

Colleen, thanks for the book-tip, and the good quotes. I posted one in the forum, and of course got the crit that it was "too midtone"... after all the trouble I'd taken to make it midtone! Your pearly shimmery one is lovely!

Colorix
02-11-2011, 09:40 AM
My, I'm chatty today. I've spent some time on the net looking at master painters. I like David Curtis, a new discovery. I hope that browsing masters will inspire me, as at least *one* of my reference photos *must be* good enough to take as the stepping board for a painting. Will let you know if a healthy dose of really good paintings actually does help.

Dot Hoffman
02-11-2011, 10:36 AM
I know this is a change of topic, and hope it's not inappropriate here, but will the link from last week work to access the classes this weekend?

Stephanie_Draws
02-11-2011, 10:44 AM
I know this is a change of topic, and hope it's not inappropriate here, but will the link from last week work to access the classes this weekend?

Hi! Johannes said last week that the link for the webinar would be the same for all following lessons. So yeah, the one in the sticky post in the "Partner: WetCanvas Live!"-forum should be good.

Michaelmcg
02-11-2011, 10:46 AM
My, I'm chatty today. I've spent some time on the net looking at master painters. I like David Curtis, a new discovery. I hope that browsing masters will inspire me, as at least *one* of my reference photos *must be* good enough to take as the stepping board for a painting. Will let you know if a healthy dose of really good paintings actually does help.

Curtis is a truly great painter IMO. His DVD's and books are all worth getting.

Michael

winecountry
02-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Oh, yes, I think this has a lot to do with it, I feel it acutely. Back in December, it was a bit scary, but now... how many ppl registered is there? Well over a thousand, if I remember correctly. So instead of a 100 critical pairs of eyes, there are... plus the lurkers... :eek: So a good thing we're humans, and can clomp around in all innocense (where angels...) :)

well I don't know all those people so I never think of that....the midtone thing takes some getting used to and some big shifts of ideas...I think I'm still missing something as I look at mine, don't know what exactly, but if you think it over in J's work I'm not "aware" it's mid tone it all hangs in nicely and seems to have a full range, where as mine tend to feel sort of light, or sometimes too grey...so more to learn about this and as ever when you go a path less traveled, a lot of people are not with you.

susanc
02-11-2011, 12:00 PM
the light at different times of the day...changes the boring non-melodic lines of nature to incredible melodic lines and various values of colors
I thought you made such a great point in that sentence, I wanted to set it off by itself. Sometimes we are so caught up in the thought of a certain type of subject matter (mountains, trees, rivers, etc.) that we forget how an incredible play of light is also a type of subject matter in and of itself.

I found I was quite smitten a couple of months ago with sunlight bouncing off of stucco surfaces. Then I saw a wonderfully lit wooden building and realized it wasn't the stucco that I was so much in love with, it was what the sunlight did to the stucco...and to the wood...and on and on! :o It's capturing the effect of light that usually makes a painting so enjoyable for me (so David Curtis is one of my favorites, too!). Even with the beautiful grey tonality of a foggy day--it's still the quality of that type of light that draws me to look at it...and to want to paint it.

Colorix
02-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Yes! I found a photo that worked. Watching master paintings does help (even if the evidence can't be said to be conclusive :-) I need to get more creative, though, shooting photos, this is the third different spot with exactly the same composition.

Michael, Curtis is a delight! Love how he often chooses high vantage points to get more of a bird's view, and get interesting compositions that way.

Colleen, fwiw, I think you basically only need to pop in some light and dark accents. And the series of foggy rocks, well, grey days/foggy days are rather lacking in lustre.

winecountry
02-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Curtis is awesome! new to me so thanks for posting here is his website where he has a lot of trailers of vids so you can see him paint and some of his way of thinking

http://www.djcurtis.co.uk/david_curtis/film_trailersx.html

winecountry
02-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Colleen, And the series of foggy rocks, well, grey days/foggy days are rather lacking in lustre.

I used to think that, but have discovered there is great tho subtle luster and color that I am now trying to capture...it's coming down to value and color mixtures that are complements. so in this I' used phalo green and sinopia ( a red) to try and massage that, when I get done it won't show well in the photo and to get it to show at all this stage is painted more brightly than it will end up

susanc
02-11-2011, 12:21 PM
I like David Curtis, a new discovery. I hope that browsing masters will inspire me, as at least *one* of my reference photos *must be* good enough to take as the stepping board for a painting. Will let you know if a healthy dose of really good paintings actually does help. I really think it does help in many different ways. I can't remember quite who it was, but I think it was Scott Christensen who encouraged students to look at masterpieces-it's hard to try to paint at the highest level if we are not familiar with what the highest level looks like?

This might be considered desecration here, :eek: but I used to cut up my Southwest Art Magazines (unless I really liked the artist, then I'd keep that entire article intact). I made a notebook and grouped all the skyscape paintings I liked under that category, all the mountain paintings I liked in the mountain category, snowscapes, etc. I had a hard time deciding where to put a painting when I liked several things about it! I think I'd just put it in under seascape if it was mostly about the ocean in that instance. I have a notebook now of many handy little references to see how professionals have handled different painting situations. At the start, I forgot to add their names, which I regretted later. I think it's important to know who painted what (in part to allow you to study more of their works on the internet! :D ) I felt they weren't doing as much good for my artistic growth lost inside a bunch of back issues. (You also have to be careful when two good paintings are back to back, to cut them out in a way that doesn't ruin either of them.)

Glad you're feeling chatty. I've missed you, Charlie! I really hope things go well for you and your family...

Colleen, thanks for the trailer links! (Uh, trailers link!)

TheRaven
02-11-2011, 12:30 PM
I stumbled on this by accident. It looks like good opportunity. I think this could help my son. Is there a registration deadline b/c I need to talk to him first about the times. I looked at the registration link and didn't see a deadline.

susanc
02-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Nope, no deadline! Classes end in April--that's the only time issue I'm aware of. I'm not sure if the webinar has a maximum of people who can attend or not, though. I thought it might be 2000 (very possibly wrong!), but even if that, there's still some room if he's interested. I just invited my dad last Monday. He used to paint landscapes so long ago, I'd forgotten about it!

If he's interested, he will want to register well before the class to get his personal link, and probably click on that link to "arrive" a few minutes early because it takes a bit of time for "go to webinar" to finally get itself set up, to welcome you, etc. It's not quite as instantaneous as I'd first assumed.

TheRaven
02-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Thanks susanc

Johannes Instructor
02-11-2011, 12:44 PM
I stumbled on this by accident. It looks like good opportunity. I think this could help my son. Is there a registration deadline b/c I need to talk to him first about the times. I looked at the registration link and didn't see a deadline.
Registration is open still. Here is the link:

https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/616569648

KenBratto
02-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Seems would be easier to find the right place to post if there was a class number or something. Am trying to post to class that started Jan 2011...?

Improv
02-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Are the videos of the first weekend ready for purchase yet?

Thanks

Doug

hayday77
02-11-2011, 09:07 PM
I am excited to be there tomorrow. I am already ready to trash a couple of paintings - lines leading out of the painting - no focal point - darks too dark - I could go on and on. No wonder I never liked the paintings.

(Having Scottish blood means - I will not throw them out - just paint over them)

THANKS Johannes!

moscowGgirl
02-11-2011, 10:35 PM
this is something I'm working on...attempting to get the subtle iridescent color that comes just after sunset, the water has glints of an amazing glowing viridian. This will have to dry then I'll do the next layer as it will be toned down and made very softly hazy with foggy light...

This looks different than any other seascape I've tried...and the placement of the rocks is better than I've ever managed, still not where it will be in future, but each time they are better so I know I'll get there now, just need more practice. its beyond the logic of thinking now and entering into a more instinctive place so I'm just letting it unfold. I love the one in the nfz lower l just brushed it on and left it. I like it because it melts into the space and stay quiet.

More to come after its dry and the next layer goes on. I'll use zinc white, and dry brushing and apply impasto highlights on the near waters. No wave in this one only rough swells.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2011/103030-twilight_study_wip_14016.jpg

Hi Coleen
Nice painting. I love your water.
Where is your focal point? I assume it is the rock in the mid-right. If so, it is less bright then the rock on the left side. In theory, everything on the sides should be less bright and have less details.

moscowGgirl
02-11-2011, 10:42 PM

Hi Charlie

David Curtis has a few books that you might want to purchase through Amazon. They are filled with his paintings. I even keep one of them on my coffee table for friends (not painters) just to look at.

moscowGgirl
02-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Johannes,
Thank you so much for your time, effort, comments, notes, and especially for your unexpected demo last Sunday. I cannot wait till tomorrow afternoon. My husband is already aware that I will not be available all weekend afternoons till spring.
I am already changing the oil painting I was in the middle when your class started, with your suggestions about melodic lines, boring shapes, dark darks, etc. And in the future painting that is already cooking in my head, I am going to use all your tips!!!

marionh
02-12-2011, 04:21 AM
Sorry, I've been a bit quiet on the discussion front. I have been painting and as usual have about 3 unfinished ones sitting around. Trying to keep up with the threads is becoming a full time job LOL, I don't know how Johannes manages.

Had a lot of trouble watching last Sundays demo, in fact it was almost unwatchable. A friend of mine from the next town also had similar problems. I stopped watching before the end because it was so bad.
Has Johannes posted the finished painting anywhere?

Also a bit of a time lag on the webinar towards the end. Usually the webinar is fine with only the occassional blip.

marionh
02-12-2011, 04:24 AM

Collen, I like the feel of this one. I love seeing your exercises. I learn so much from them.

Dharma_bum
02-12-2011, 05:01 AM
Here is a link to an interesting short piece from Robert Genn, on "mystery" in paintings. http://clicks.robertgenn.com/peekaboo-principle.php

It applies to some of the discussion about avoiding hyper realism.

Dan

Johannes Instructor
02-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Collen, I like the feel of this one. I love seeing your exercises. I learn so much from them.

Now you are thinking about drawing the viewer in Colleen. can you put more of that golden yellow color on the water to harmonize better?

Johannes Instructor
02-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Sorry, I've been a bit quiet on the discussion front. I have been painting and as usual have about 3 unfinished ones sitting around. Trying to keep up with the threads is becoming a full time job LOL, I don't know how Johannes manages.

Had a lot of trouble watching last Sundays demo, in fact it was almost unwatchable. A friend of mine from the next town also had similar problems. I stopped watching before the end because it was so bad.

Also a bit of a time lag on the webinar towards the end. Usually the webinar is fine with only the occassional blip.

If you have high speed internet it should be no problem Remember as with any software is something goes wrong reboot that software, if it persists reboot the entire computer.

Johannes Instructor
02-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Are the videos of the first weekend ready for purchase yet?

Thanks

Doug
They will be submitted to F&W this weekend I will plead with them that they get those up for purchase early this coming week.

susanc
02-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Seems would be easier to find the right place to post if there was a class number or something. Am trying to post to class that started Jan 2011...?

Hi Ken,
Yes, I believe you're in the right thread--this is the place for discussing Johannes' classes. If that's what you wanted to do, feel free to post away! This thread will probably be locked and a new thread tarted for week four on Monday if the same pattern continues.

Maybe it's a bit more open-ended this way, not confining us only to the last 2 classes that were taught?

mtnrunner
02-12-2011, 10:02 AM
After reading the handout for today's class, I wanted to mention a couple of ways that I've found to improve even relatively cheap cotton canvas, and also a less expensive way to get linen.
I often order large linen "pads" - 16x20 or 18x24. These are just sheets of oil primed linen, about 10 to a pad. I can tear a sheet off and tape it to a drawing board for painting - can cut it down or re-size it as needed. I use these quite a bit for portrait practice. If I happen to get a painting that is halfway decent,(not very often for portraits, I am not very good at them yet) I can then glue this sheet to a panel - either a piece of masonite that i got at the hardware store and cut to size (cheapest option) or a piece of pre-cut
hardboard panels from any of the online art supply stores, or even just a piece of plywood or birchwood.
You can also buy rolls of linen of course, but these pads are so convenient, and the large sheets work out to only a couple dollars apiece.

The other thing I will do to improve the painting surface of cheaper cotton canvas is to take some flake white, which is lead based, and mix it about 50/50 with medium (I use Liquin). Take a large palette knife and spread this over the canvas, very, very thinly. All you want to do is fill the holes in between the weave.. Using the edge of the knife, scrape it from the center to the edges, smoothing any ridges until you have the surface completely covered and as smooth as you can make it. This makes a nice lead-primed surface that doesn't absorb your paint and produces so much better color and is way more fun to paint on. The tube of flake white (make sure it is lead based, should say something like PB3 on the ingredients) is relatively inexpensive also.

hope this gives you all some ideas to try!
happy painting!

Johannes Instructor
02-12-2011, 10:07 AM
After reading the handout for today's class, I wanted to mention a couple of ways that I've found to improve even relatively cheap cotton canvas, and also a less expensive way to get linen.
I often order large linen "pads" - 16x20 or 18x24. These are just sheets of oil primed linen, about 10 to a pad. I can tear a sheet off and tape it to a drawing board for painting - can cut it down or re-size it as needed. I use these quite a bit for portrait practice. If I happen to get a painting that is halfway decent,(not very often for portraits, I am not very good at them yet) I can then glue this sheet to a panel - either a piece of masonite that i got at the hardware store and cut to size (cheapest option) or a piece of pre-cut
hardboard panels from any of the online art supply stores, or even just a piece of plywood or birchwood.
You can also buy rolls of linen of course, but these pads are so convenient, and the large sheets work out to only a couple dollars apiece.

The other thing I will do to improve the painting surface of cheaper cotton canvas is to take some flake white, which is lead based, and mix it about 50/50 with medium (I use Liquin). Take a large palette knife and spread this over the canvas, very, very thinly. All you want to do is fill the holes in between the weave.. Using the edge of the knife, scrape it from the center to the edges, smoothing any ridges until you have the surface completely covered and as smooth as you can make it. This makes a nice lead-primed surface that doesn't absorb your paint and produces so much better color and is way more fun to paint on. The tube of flake white (make sure it is lead based, should say something like PB3 on the ingredients) is relatively inexpensive also.

hope this gives you all some ideas to try!
happy painting!

Just make sure you wash you don't get any of that in your mouth. Lead is toxic.

susanc
02-12-2011, 10:49 AM
I knew of an artist who blended oils with his fingers and he used lead white on his palette. I don't know if it got in through the skin, or if he had cuts on his fingers from time to time, or if this is just rumor, he did die an early death, supposedly from lead poisoning.

Whether true or not true, it doesn't hurt to be well-informed about your supplies and very careful when you use them. (I'm not saying don't use them!) Sadly, many of the best colors and supplies are toxic.

Laura2011
02-12-2011, 10:51 AM
I am new to WC and I cannot post my cropped photos. Does anyone know why.

Thank you.

firesignart
02-12-2011, 11:02 AM
HI Laura you have to comment twice before you can post I hear....

norskgal
02-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Good news, it's another webinar Saturday! Bad news, I again have to work and cannot attend. (This does free up one of the 1,000 seats in the room though.) I received an email this morning, part of which reiterated that pay versions of the classes will be available, details to be announced soon. I was able to watch week one, both days. Had been hoping that pay versions would be available during the following week so one could keep up real time ... even though I would (happily) pay. This is obviously not going to happen. Now my fear is that when they are edited, they will be cut for marketing purposes to fit into a tighter package. One of best parts of the webinars that I did watch was the repetition of principles being taught. This is how we can get a solid grasp on this information! Please keep the spontaneity and length intact! Prepare abridged versions for sale after the course has been completed if that works, but please give us that can't participate in real time a second chance at this information.

Please don't take my comments as being negative toward the content ... I am kinda having a pity party. Stumbling on Johannes' JustinTV webinar was a lot like a Christmas morning for me. Just the gift I needed, but didn't know I needed it.

Eddypus1
02-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Hi all, I'm also a new member and I am unable to post my photos.
I attended my first lesson last week and I'm hooked. Just love it! can't wait for today's lesson. Do I have to register for each lesson or do I just join in automatically?

robertsloan2
02-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Use the link in the email reminder you got, Eddypus. It may ask you to re-register sometimes, it does that at random, but other times it'll just take you right there. The software gets a little funny that way. Always use your real email if you have to re-register though, so your updates come in before the class.

Sorry I haven't been around the forum posting this week. I got my homework posted early when I did it and then spent most of the week working on my cat commissions.

I'm in the middle of the second cat, Maceo, an all black cat with long hair and beautiful eyes that have a yellow ochre hue. Very light gold, not warm yellow or lemon yellow. He's a gorgeous cat and I'm having fun with him in pastels.

I also spent a lot of time offline by way of being sick, so I only got halfway through one cat. That included two different planning thumbnails and lots of sick time studying the photo to decide the crop. I sometimes think it's harder to just change the aspect ratio of a good photo by a little than it is to crop dramatically to a much smaller, simpler composition.

So I've been practicing what I learned in class on a completely unrelated subject. Gem from class that made me so happy - Johannes mentioned that the strong deep dark backgrounds and areas in historical paintings are usually of interiors. Still life can still benefit from a value 9 background or even a fade to black, though to me it's prettier at value 9 when it still has some hue.

I also spent a lot of time staring out the window at different times of day and weather conditions, memorizing how the sky looks and what the light's doing. There is so much a photo can't capture, like the exact hue of a gray bitter winter day with a lot of snow coming down. The dawn of that morning wasn't the clean royal blue of early dawn without snow, it was a weird murky gray-brown-violet from the point it started showing color in the sky.

Sometimes what's outside your window can help correct the photo's color. I know the colors in my photo are off but it was taken only a few miles from this house - so the summer colors I remember from this window view are more likely to be accurate than the photo.

I also have the benefit of a deep view from my window with definite foreground, middle ground where a pizza parlor is (and the trees in that plane) and distant ground across the street with some trees behind some buildings. So I'm constantly testing Johannes's observations against reality and seeing the connection. He's not being unrealistic, he's being selective and simplifying to show off the most important points.

winecountry
02-12-2011, 02:22 PM
I knew of an artist who blended oils with his fingers and he used lead white on his palette. I don't know if it got in through the skin, or if he had cuts on his fingers from time to time, or if this is just rumor, he did die an early death, supposedly from lead poisoning.

Whether true or not true, it doesn't hurt to be well-informed about your supplies and very careful when you use them. (I'm not saying don't use them!) Sadly, many of the best colors and supplies are toxic.

I talked to 3 different paint makers about this issue. WN, Michael Harding and Robert Doak. all assured me as long as you don't EAT it you are quite safe, it's bound up...in this form not free.

Johannes Instructor
02-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Hi all, I'm also a new member and I am unable to post my photos.
I attended my first lesson last week and I'm hooked. Just love it! can't wait for today's lesson. Do I have to register for each lesson or do I just join in automatically?

that code you got is for all classes until April 17

Amandine
02-12-2011, 02:53 PM

Had the same problem. Live in the mountains and have internet with satellite ; even though they call it "high speed", it's not that fast. The demo was going on and off. At least, when Johannes is on the usual webinar, it goes very well.
Amandine

Andrew
02-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Had the same problem. Live in the mountains and have internet with satellite ; even though they call it "high speed", it's not that fast. The demo was going on and off. At least, when Johannes is on the usual webinar, it goes very well.
Amandine

I had issues too. While our "high" speed isn't all that fast, and it took nearly an hour to get connected, I had audio issues. I could hear the webinar, but then I also could hear a couple of other web meetings as well. This happened last week and this as well. Too distracting, had to close out and go about my own business.

Great idea, but apparently not an option for me.

Andrew

Missy Friedl Shipley
02-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Could you please expand on your method of preparing painting panels? How many coats of gesso, sanding & so on.

charleyz
02-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Enjoyed Week 3//Class 1 very much. Especially appreciated detailed "puzzle pieces" examples. Cheers, Charley

pastelpainter62
02-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks, Johannes. Another good class, aside from the video distortion. Looking forward to tomorrow's class.

pastelpainter62
02-12-2011, 05:41 PM
I'll bring cookies for tomorrow's class :(

oils4me
02-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Thank you Johannes for another excellent class!! Enjoyed every minute!!

Also want to thank Judy and Kenneth for their help with Q & A much appreciated...:)

And Robert for his wonderful notes complete with excellent visuals...I don't know how you do it so well, but sure do appreciate it...there are times when I don't get something and I'm not even sure how to ask the question and sure enough there is the explanation in your notes...thank you so much for that!! :)

Valerieart
02-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Hi Johannes,

Have you created the thread for posting our Abstract trees, rocks, etc. Yet?

Love the classes. Valerie

firesignart
02-12-2011, 08:30 PM
I had to leave at the last bit. What is the exact assignment? I think I did it wrong...

Johannes Instructor
02-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Could you please expand on your method of preparing painting panels? How many coats of gesso, sanding & so on.

Please post this in the question answer forum.

KenBratto
02-13-2011, 03:20 AM
Knows there are photographs that make good photographs but would NOT make a good painting.

marionh
02-13-2011, 03:56 AM
Another good lesson. Video quality was good with only the occassional blip in the voice - sounds like your voice was being plucked like a guitar string LOL

Laura2011
02-13-2011, 05:15 AM
Thank you Johannes for the wonderful lessons. You are helping me to understand many things and to look at pictures in a new way.

Also, thank you Robert for your notes, they are a great help.

I am not sure that I did understand the concept of abstract shapes in landscape as everything looks to me like geometrical shapes. Unfortunately I tried to post two pictures with what I thought was the idea, but somehow was unable. I will keep trying.

Mary Brigid
02-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Thank you Johannes. Enjoyed class last night. And yes I have been doing my homework... (better than when I was at school) :) I did try to upload photos by following the new instructions here on the forum but was not successful. :o
Mary Brigid

Dharma_bum
02-13-2011, 01:34 PM
I had to leave a little early too, would someone please explain what the assignment was? Thanks.

Dan

LynnM
02-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Dan, if you see this, check out the thread 'Upload here abstract shapes from photos thread' in Partner Wet Canvas Live, Johannes explains briefly there.

robertsloan2
02-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Thanks! I'm so glad y'all appreciate my notes.

I have to post a warning today. My Internet access is sometimes wobbly - the modem is downstairs at the other end of the house and sometimes I lose access without warning even when it's working fine.

If I lose access during class or can't bring it up to get into class, I may not be able to make notes. So please, today, try to take notes! Also try the quick sketching of his examples, it's helped me with making thumbnails so much to do those little sketches.

Nahant
02-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Help...I got lost when the discussion turned to Clyde Aspevig's paintings...how did you all get there?

Betty

hewill4giveu
02-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Finding now that i have all this info on taking pictures im getting frustrated. I live in one of the most beautifull states and i have taken hundreds of pictures. Now its as if theres nothing out there. I have went riding twice and found nothing that was what it should be . Soooo i guess i will have to do a lot ot taking artisitic lisences in photos. Have tried to find trees ,rocks etc abstract in the hundreds of pics and NOPE. So im not posting because i dont want to do home work . Im just having trouble finding things that work. Johannes has made his point for sure. There are very few pics that even come close to being what we need to work with. Which is frustrating im going to be doing lots of changes LOTS AND LOts

GraphiteBuster
02-13-2011, 06:44 PM
To: Hewill4giveu :wave:
Don't let the amount of information overwhelm you or frustrate you. This is not a photography class. What CAN work in a photo does not work in a painting, As creative people, we take what we see and shape it into something new. Johannes is trying to teach us that our photos are a tool in creating something new (i.e. reference/idea material). You create your own "universe" from your photos. Photograph what is beautiful, what catches your eye, and what suits your interests... then use these references to create your own composition.
:thumbsup:

pat-trew
02-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Robert Sloan, Thank You For The Fabulous Notes, I Am Taking Your Advise And Taking My Own With Thumb Nails And They Are Getting A Bit Better Each Time, And I Faster At Taking The Notes And Thumb Nails. Thanks Again

Johannes Instructor
02-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Help...I got lost when the discussion turned to Clyde Aspevig's paintings...how did you all get there?

Betty

Sorry Betty we went to his website. I cannot display his work on the general screen because of copyrights so I referenced them directly from the blind website.

Johannes Instructor
02-13-2011, 07:08 PM
Finding now that i have all this info on taking pictures im getting frustrated. I live in one of the most beautifull states and i have taken hundreds of pictures. Now its as if theres nothing out there. I have went riding twice and found nothing that was what it should be . Soooo i guess i will have to do a lot ot taking artisitic lisences in photos. Have tried to find trees ,rocks etc abstract in the hundreds of pics and NOPE. So im not posting because i dont want to do home work . Im just having trouble finding things that work. Johannes has made his point for sure. There are very few pics that even come close to being what we need to work with. Which is frustrating im going to be doing lots of changes LOTS AND LOts

No, what is frustrating is trying to make a dud photo work. Maybe there were scenes right in front of you but now with a more critical eye you will snap the right picture that will support you well.

Johannes Instructor
02-13-2011, 07:19 PM
To: Hewill4giveu :wave:
Don't let the amount of information overwhelm you or frustrate you. This is not a photography class. What CAN work in a photo does not work in a painting, As creative people, we take what we see and shape it into something new. Johannes is trying to teach us that our photos are a tool in creating something new (i.e. reference/idea material). You create your own "universe" from your photos. Photograph what is beautiful, what catches your eye, and what suits your interests... then use these references to create your own composition.
:thumbsup:
Actually there wasnt a lot of information that was overwhelming. I just gave many examples of the same principles.
It all sums up to this:

Photos should have three planes
If they provide a lead in all the better
Take advantage of melodic lines and discard lines that move too fast or
re-design these lines to make them more graceful or melodic. Make those lines go to the depth of the painting.
Use abstract shapes from other photos to compile into one painting but do not use boring shapes just because they happen to appear in photos.
Asssess what makes a good photo vs what makes a good painting. Some photos are just not designed to be used in paintings. Beautiful colors do not make good paintings if the shapes are weak.
Let the viewer's eye roll over the contours nicely iby creating lines that are pleasing. Example tree contours should not be too jagged.
This is what it sums up to. At the end of the course there will be just a dozen essential points but well understood by plenty of examples.

hewill4giveu
02-13-2011, 08:03 PM
No, what is frustrating is trying to make a dud photo work. Maybe there were scenes right in front of you but now with a more critical eye you will snap the right picture that will support you well.

So true proof is in my picture files i cannot believe how many pictures are useless. That at the time i was in awe of. Definately going out with a different view of things. I must admitt its amazing to see things from such a different point of view. Ready for Spring so i can get the right pictures.

Im glad i got to start in dec because now the priciples are being burned into my mind. The coarse isnt over whelming at all i love every second of it. Taking photos now is going to take a lot more planning . No more snap happy pictures. Will be so worth it in the LONG run for sure.

karan55
02-13-2011, 08:14 PM
These classes have really helped me over a huge hurdle as an artist! I have really struggled for inspiration to paint from my photographs. I went through my whole library of photos just to get the three I did post in the shapes assignment and then there were only parts of the photos that had abstract shapes in them. I was really impressed how you could modify the photos in Photoshop. I really appreciated how you pointed out the possibilities and the traps to avoid. This offers so much more opportunity and freedom for me to actually start painting. Now I understand why I would rather paint from a good artists rendered landscape than one of my photographs. I recognized the artist's versions were more pleasing but did not know why....so I couldn't apply it to my own work. Finally I think I can take better pictures as well as make better use of the photos. What a gift! Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I have really enjoyed your classes and all your postings and answered questions.

Karan

chewie
02-13-2011, 10:56 PM
??for johannes--what about clouds? i LOVE doing sky scapes but they sometimes remind me of how my printer works...all linear, back and forth, back and forth. i want to add some depth in those fab cloud/skies.

and, altho i feel i am really understanding the concepts, i am having a hard time making them work! argh! its very irritating. i KNOW what i want, but i cant' seem to MAKE it happen. anybody else going thru this???

Johannes Instructor
02-13-2011, 11:22 PM
??for johannes--what about clouds? i LOVE doing sky scapes but they sometimes remind me of how my printer works...all linear, back and forth, back and forth. i want to add some depth in those fab cloud/skies.

and, altho i feel i am really understanding the concepts, i am having a hard time making them work! argh! its very irritating. i KNOW what i want, but i cant' seem to MAKE it happen. anybody else going thru this???

I understand you very well. The left brain wants to get involved in the process. This is why I am giving this course so you can get out of that strong left brain influence.

Johannes Instructor
02-13-2011, 11:27 PM
These classes have really helped me over a huge hurdle as an artist! I have really struggled for inspiration to paint from my photographs. I went through my whole library of photos just to get the three I did post in the shapes assignment and then there were only parts of the photos that had abstract shapes in them. I was really impressed how you could modify the photos in Photoshop. I really appreciated how you pointed out the possibilities and the traps to avoid. This offers so much more opportunity and freedom for me to actually start painting. Now I understand why I would rather paint from a good artists rendered landscape than one of my photographs. I recognized the artist's versions were more pleasing but did not know why....so I couldn't apply it to my own work. Finally I think I can take better pictures as well as make better use of the photos. What a gift! Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I have really enjoyed your classes and all your postings and answered questions.

Karan

AH!!! A breath of fresh air. The thing is the top artists have already figured this out. However try to get them to share it or can they verbalize this eloquently?
Once you understand these concepts of abstract shapes and melodic lines shapes it becomes second nature. . Much is learned by imitation and every professional artist I know have confessed they have copied and still copy other artists.
When you copy other artist's paintings you are borrowing their pictorial symbols. That's why you are more pleased when copying their work. Then you go to your photos and instead of incorporating their ideas of symbols symbols that actually substitute the real object you try to imitate and copy the photo again therefore deteriorating the abstract symbols again. That puts you back to square 1. Now you will see the photo is an inspiration of the scene only and you redesign the shapes and symbols to indicate your message. I feel after today's class a lot more of you are seeing this by the emails and messages posted here.

Johannes Instructor
02-13-2011, 11:33 PM

Karan
Take into account that a photo may have some areas that are very strong but may have a symmtrical tree in it. That doesn't mean you discard the entire photo just because the tree or the line of the mountain against the sky is too fast. What you do is you find another photo that has a better looking tree and important that into the overall good photo. You take a better looking mountain from a third photo and substitute that for the mountain in your original photo that is too dome looking. I guess what I am saying is don't expect one photo to say it all. Think of this as a story board for a movie. You use several photos and borrow the strong points from each one to out your composition together.

chew52
02-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Just new to the Webinar classes this weekend. Excellent! Johannes, way to go. Not too many artists out there are willing to share their so called "secrets" to the painting world like you are doing for us. I thank you and your crew and to WetCanvas for bringing these sessions to us and "Free" to boot. I am just a beginner in oils and watercolor and so I believe that this is going to benefit me like you have been saying on the webinar. I have been trying to look at things in the negative way. I watched today at my friends and she connected her computer to her big screen TV and it was awesome. Look forward to the next 9 weeks. I have you booked already! Thanks again so much for all your hard work and commitment. I hear your passion when you speak to us!

Gail

Johannes Instructor
02-14-2011, 12:28 AM
Here is another book I strongly recommend that deals with general composition.
Mastering Composition by Ian Roberts

http://www.northlightshop.com/produc...on/?r=WCLIVEJV (http://www.northlightshop.com/produc...on/?r=WCLIVEJV)

Remember to type in WCLIVE in the promo code to get 10% off. (The enter code slot appears below) Also that code gets tracked so F&W Media knows the recommendation originated from these web classes. These sales will allow us to continue with the online classes in the future. I only recommend books that I feel will contribute to your artistic growth. It even comes with a 40 min DVD.You may want to bundle this one together with "Your Artist's Brain" http://www.northlightshop.com/product/your-artists-brain/?r=WCLIVEJV (http://www.northlightshop.com/product/your-artists-brain/?r=WCLIVEJV) to get free shipping.