PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop and Me

angecald
02-11-2003, 09:54 PM
I've been hanging about Wetcanvas for a month or two now, being pretty free with my opinions but not with examples of my own work because I didn't have a digital camera or photoshop or any knowledge of how to work either one. That situation has been remedied slightly, i.e., I now own both, so I'ves pent the day photographing and trying to load some old pictures from my portfolio. It's been "challenging", and the one I'm posting is not the one I wanted to post. It's one of those duds that never makes it to the framer or to the garbage can. If it does make it into the forum, please note:

- The picture is much bigger than the area shown; there's a large expanse of water that cut out.
- The foreground sand is lighter than it appears.
- Now that I see it in a photo, I realize it needs a lot more pastel coverage in both the water and the sand, and finishing in general.

All comments welcome.
:cat:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2003/17105-Watcher4.jpg

CarlyHardy
02-11-2003, 11:21 PM
I think your own comments are just what I would have said...the water and the beach look incomplete...but the figure is great.

Do finish it...this has a lot of good qualities!
carly

Dark_Shades
02-12-2003, 02:45 AM
... yes its quite surprising..... you will see many comments that someone thinks they have finished their work..... Until they post it up on the computer and see many things to change and alter - even down to the size of the photo they post ;) ...... I really like the image..... and would love to see it again if you decide to work on it more..... its really nice ...... like it alot

Redsy333
02-12-2003, 05:54 AM
Ditto and Ditto!! :D
Great work and cant wait to see more!!!!

BTDogMom
02-12-2003, 10:54 AM
You did a GREAT job on the chair I love that - it really looks good, and when you get your water and sand, I think it will look really nice. Nice work.:clap:

angecald
02-12-2003, 10:25 PM
Thanks for your comments, everybody, it's very encouraging. I'll be working on it this week.

My original intention was to leave a lot of the paper showing in the water area, but since I read Jackie's post about Canson paper changing colour over time, I've turned into a dedicated paper-coverer. I've always found water extremely difficult to portray with pastel - guess I'd better visit that water-painting thread in the Landscape Forum!:cat:

sweetiness
02-13-2003, 08:18 AM
Damn good painting in my opinion. Personaly, I love the water the way it is. Kind of makes me feel like i'm sorta squinting from the bright light reflections on the water.

Bkargraves
02-13-2003, 08:55 AM
This is very good. It has a real calming effect on me. The hat on this lady is highlighted just right . I too have a hard time with water. See you in the landscape forum.

Dark_Shades
02-13-2003, 03:50 PM
keep coming back to look at this angecald...... I really like it...... it reminds me for some reason of my mum :)

angecald
02-13-2003, 10:45 PM
BK and Sweetiness, thanks for the compliments. I'm afraid the dazzle that you see is just camera flare. The original had a mostly gray surface which was calming (I thought), and I got the waves to where I liked them and was afraid to go any further and ruin it, so I left most of the paper showing.

Today I worked on the water and after about twenty minutes it looked pretty good to me, but I thought, "It can't be that easy. I'd better keep going!" Famous last words, as they say. Five minutes later, big trouble. I think I've almost got it back to something tolerable but it remains to be seen if I can get those gentle green waves again.

Dark Shades, I can't tell you how flattered I am that you came back and looked again.