PDA

View Full Version : Debby's Sketchbook(s)

DrDebby
02-05-2011, 08:10 PM
I debated where to put these. I have the first sketchbook thread that belongs to a book I pretty much abandoned when I made a sketchbook for myself. I started using my home made sketchbook for the 12 day challenge (which I did not finish. :o) But, that's the book these sketches are in. By the way, I have left room in the sketchbook to eventually finish the 12 day challenge because I think it would be fun to finish sometime, but not right now. So, I decided to start a new thread with the balance of the sketches from this book. It's approximately 5 x 7 (actually just a little bigger than that) made from Aquerello Portofino a hot press water color paper. After that long winded introduction. :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2011/113578-mushrooms.jpg

This was a practice piece from the book as noted. I used micron pens in burgundy, brown, sepia, purple and black. Then I used my Albrecht Durer water color pencils and added water. :D So fun.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2011/113578-froggy.jpg

This one just used burgundy, brown, sepia and black microns and the water color pencils. Reference for practice from the same book.

The book and the pencils was my Yule gift from hubby. :heart:

virgo68
02-05-2011, 09:51 PM
What a great gift Debby - what a good hubby!!

I love your painting/drawings. I like Claudia's style and her books are very informative. You are off to a great start ;)

RainySea
02-05-2011, 10:42 PM
really nice smooth color, Debby! Great gift from your hubby. . . I love Claudia Nice, too.

the frog is So cute :)

flashviv
02-06-2011, 06:35 AM
another Claudia Nice fan here too!! love your pages, especially the mushrooms,

CandAlArt
02-06-2011, 11:23 AM
I like your combination of penwork and the wc pencil washed in. Very nice!

poochemio
02-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Looking good Debby, glad you are enjoying your new pencils. Hmm, there is a Claudia Nice book at 1/2 price maybe I should go get it since everyone seems to be agree on how much they like the author.

eyepaint
02-07-2011, 12:06 AM
I'm looking for a fairy under your toadstool :) Cute froggie!

JTMB
02-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Hi Debby,

I'm catching up on newer journals here. Very nice sketches here - the frog is great, but then so is the mushroom. Great work!

Joan T
02-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Debby - These came out great!!! I love that mushroom. Claudia's books are so helpful...great tips...so Margo, go get one.

seejay
02-11-2011, 05:57 AM
Great pages in your book, and lucky you getting those nice presents! :clap:

Your long winded introduction almost confused me, for a moment I thought Aquerello Portofino was the mushroom!:evil: (Just joking, I think)

Cheers

DrDebby
02-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Wow, thank you all for your comments. I appreciate you looking at my sketches. I guess I'd better get busy and do some more. :o

Artlike
02-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Love your toadstool...I like it all actually! Oh, dear, dear sweet Claudia...I have several of her books....actually I put a different one under my pillow each nite...in hopes that some of her beautiful work...might empower me upon awakening....babble...babble.....ZZZZZZZ

CandAlArt
02-13-2011, 01:05 AM
Your almost confused me, for a moment I thought Aquerello Portofino was the mushroom!:evil: (Just joking, I think) Cheers

Yes, you eat portofino mushrooms on your steak.:wink2:

JamieWG
02-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Debbie, this is a nice pickup for your abandoned sketchbook! Why do we do that? I have lots of abandoned sketchbooks too. I'm not really sure why I felt the need to move on before getting to the very last pages, but somehow a time arrived when it was just "time" to go to a new one.

Jamie

RainySea
02-13-2011, 11:34 AM
I have a sketchbook that I adandoned due to not liking the paper for much of anything. Only did about five or six page before deciding that. Even for pencil its only mediocre. . . might be good for charcoal if I decide to give that a try though so I've kept it on the shelf. . . . so far.

DrDebby
02-13-2011, 09:53 PM
Sometimes it's the paper. Sometimes it's just the siren call of a new sketchbook. :D This was the later. I just had to start playing with this one and the new paper. I'm glad I did. The paper is just wonderful.

poochemio
02-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Okay Debby and Joan I went and bought the Claudia Nice book at 1/2 price. I believe it is the same as Debby's judging from her sketches.

Sketchbook abandonment! I have done a very good job of not doing that for several months but I've reached the point where abandon some is the way to go or just be so disenchanted I quit sketching, and that is not an option. Not sure how long I'll be able to stay with the current Daler and Rowney Cachet, pages are very slick. I will give it another day or two but so far not so pleased. It works fine with gel pens and my Lamy likes it okay so maybe I'll just limit what I do in it to those.

CandAlArt
02-20-2011, 11:23 PM
What Claudia Nice title are you both (and others) enamored of the most? I want one...

poochemio
02-21-2011, 12:53 AM
Candace I have Painting with Watercolor, Pen & Ink, my only C. Nice book.

DrDebby
02-21-2011, 01:27 AM
Yup, that's the one I used for the two practice sketches.