PDA

View Full Version : Help!

bondarica
02-10-2003, 07:22 PM
I need an advice, please

Iím in process of preparing my portfolio for applying to a Design Art university program in Canada. Iím a newcomer here and I do not know exactly what are the requirements for the cover of this portfolio map. I narrowed down my choices to the following two, but Iím not sure which one is better:
- to buy a standard, elegant portfolio cover from the specialized stores, or
- to apply my idea of building an original portfolio cover from cardboard, with a collage of paper and feathers applied on.

Any advice is welcomed. Thank you,
Dana

erik_satie_rolls
02-10-2003, 08:40 PM
Since definitions of creativity and what is acceptable vary so much from place to place, my advice is to ask someone in the design department if you can see examples of what successful submissions look like, letting them know that you aren't out to copy a submission, you just want an idea of what is generally acceptable. There's no reason for them not to give you this information. Just email one of the department professors with your request. The worst they can do is say no, but I would guess they would be appreciative of your thoughtfulness in preparing an appropriate submission.

When my son recently applied to music school he was very up front in asking about the requirements, and he got a lot of good information from the professor in his specialty, and even learned about scholarships that he was previously unaware of.

Good luck!