PDA

View Full Version : A sunset on velourspaper

Dima
02-10-2003, 04:46 PM
My first try of a velourspaper.
Hahnemulle grey velours.
Holds a lot of pastel, does not allow easy blending with your fingers.
Has a bit of a sandpapereffect in the sense that it scrapes off pastel and releases little clouds of it into the air.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2003/2034-Zonsondergang_in_de_Westerkogge.jpg

The obvious strokes in the air are not half as prominent as on the photograph.

Dick

jackiesimmonds
02-10-2003, 04:59 PM
Releases clouds of pastel into the air?????? Sounds EXTREMELY unhealthy. Might be a good idea to wear a mask.

I once tried velour paper, and when I was finished, I gave the pic a good shake, and a bash on the back. I found half my picture came off when I did this, and gave up on the paper!

You are doing rather a good job on it, so perhaps you won't have the same problem.

J

CarlyHardy
02-10-2003, 11:49 PM
When I worked on the velour matboard, I didn't have that effect of dust in the air. Instead it seemed to literally suck the pastel from the stick!! Took a lot to cover because of the thick velour surface...but was wonderful for blending. Made my fruit look edible!

Was your paper soft to the touch? like a velvet fabric? I'm wondering what that paper is made of.

But your painting is very moody and atmospheric...rich deep colors and the strokes add to the overall look. I like it!
carly

JohnnyRed
02-11-2003, 07:45 AM
I must admit, I do not know of the support, but as for the picture...WOW!

I felt that I could come out after what must have been a terrific thunderstorm! That is the impression the mood of the painting invoked in me. I found myself searching for a rainbow!

As for releasing clouds of dust, is this how pastelists become addicted to pastel?

Redsy333
02-12-2003, 06:00 AM
I love the sunkissing the landscape goodbye!! Especially where it strikes the roof:D
Well done!

Dima
02-13-2003, 08:12 AM
Thank you, Redsy

Johnny, eh ..getting addicted to sniffing powder? I guess it would not do as a substitute for crack, cocaine and the like, would it? We'd have a spectacular increase of pastelsocieties in the big cities.

Carly and Jackie, I haven't patted this one on the back yet but I do not expect most of the pastel to fall of.
This paper feels soft to the touch like a velvet fibre.
I suspect there may be various sorts qualities of velourspaper.
What sort/brand did you use?
This one is the Hahnemulle that comes in 4 colours (?) namely black and white and two greys.
use?As for the dust into the air I did see tiny puffy clouds of dust with almost every stroke and it was the first time I actually felt my nose was getting irritated due to the pasteldust.
Think this will interest some of us as I recently read that a number of people on this forum are asthmatic, this would not be a paper for you

jackiesimmonds
02-14-2003, 10:45 AM
Hate to say it but it WAS the Hahnemuhle paper I tested, and had prblems with, and pehaps this is why you are getting these dust storms as you work. I would strongly advise that you try a different surface, it really cannot be good, even for someone with healthy lungs, to be working in a cloud of dust!! It sounds like a very good way to BECOME athsmatic!

Jackie