PDA

View Full Version : Rainy's February Journaling. . . for the LOVE. . .

RainySea
02-02-2011, 12:20 AM
for the love of sketching and exploring art and especially the love of sketching the things in life that I love :)

I'm sure that I will fit in roses or chocolate in here somewhere (who doesn't love chocolate of some sort!?)

I have several sketchbooks going right now, a Bee Pen Sketchers, a Raffine Sketch, and a Visual Journal. So I will specify which in each post. Hope this is ok.

First up is a palm tree inspired by watching the video my daughter took on her trip to Tahiti that her and hubby took with his family a few months ago. I really loved watching them enjoying such a beautiful place . . .

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2011/132279-palm-zen.jpg
Bee Pen Sketcher book, various pens (regular pen at work and my Micron pen at home to finish it up)

eyepaint
02-02-2011, 01:20 AM
Wonderful!! I'd love to go to Tahiti :)

Jakesgram
02-02-2011, 02:41 AM
I'll second that EP - let's all meet up in Tahiti!

Gorgeous palm tree Rainy. I love how you Zentangled it all up.

RainySea
02-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Me, too. . . but its very doubtful that I ever will. They lucked out and got a great deal on a cruise because her brother in law works for a travel agency. I did get to live in Hawaii for five years when I was younger though, so I am happy for that tropical experience.

Thanks Jean and EP.

RainySea
02-02-2011, 11:52 AM
I have an art workshop rather than work today so I'm off to get ready! YAY. . . a day spent in a lovely studio rather than my office. I'm excited.

Here is a very quick sketch, Bee sketch

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2011/132279-boat.jpg

CandAlArt
02-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Love the palm tree zentangle combo. Hey a Meet-y in Tahiti, what a sketchcrawl idea! Hope the class was great! That boat with the long reflection is another cool reminder of Tahiti. Many of us into that during these winter days!

DrDebby
02-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Great tangled palm tree.

The boat and the reflections are marvelous.

seejay
02-03-2011, 12:26 AM
Keep spreading the love, Rainy.

A wonderful start; a creative use of zentangles in the palm tree, and the simple boat sketch is very effective.

RainySea
02-04-2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks Chris, Debby, and Candace. My only sketching yesterday was to work on refining the portrait that I began in the workshop on Wed. Its a character study a week, so I want to try to finish this one up before next class. I'll probably post it here when done since its really more of a practice than a finished work even though it is done on a board and not a sketchbook.

virgo68
02-05-2011, 12:46 AM
Good start Rainy and I am sure you will have no shortage of images, for the love is a great theme, hey?!

Joan T
02-05-2011, 11:59 AM
I just love the palm tree!!! I'm in for Tahiti! When are we going? Will someone have the mai-tais waiting for us? Glad to see you will be posting from all three journals. How are you doing with the Visual Journal?

poochemio
02-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Tahiti hmmm...We could all pretend to be Gaugin! If I could just paint that well!

All joking aside I think your drawings quite fun. I really like the boat scene.

RainySea
02-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks everyone . . . Joan, I finished the page in my Visual journal for the workshop and have two others going in the same style. One is for my friend who passed away a few weeks ago (today was her memorial service) and the other is just a playing around page. I will share them when done. How are you doing? I have to go see if you posted your final.

Here is a heart zentangle. Micron pen.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2011/132279-heartzen.jpg

DrDebby
02-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Tangled hearts are great.

RainySea
02-06-2011, 02:08 AM
Thanks Debby. . . just a doodle done while watching a movie . . . bubbles theme. . .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2011/132279-bubbles.jpg

Artkid32
02-06-2011, 03:07 AM
Great Zentangles! We had to do a lot of these both this year and last year in AP Art. They're tons of fun! :)

flashviv
02-06-2011, 06:24 AM
Rainy, I like your zentangles, so very inspiring!! I like the way you work shapes and pictures in to them.

CandAlArt
02-06-2011, 11:27 AM
I love the heart zentangle!:heart: Great patterns and concept! I love ZT's and seeing other interpretations of them.

poochemio
02-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Rainy I think it safe to say you have a serious case of zentanglitis! I'm a big fan of bubbly so bubbles is cool and the hearts!!! You have got the best of Valentines Day going already. Can't wait to see you zentangle the dogs.

RainySea
02-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Thank you Margo, Linda, Artkid, and Candace. Artkid, that is so cool that you are doing zentangles in classes!

Margo. . . speaking of dogs. . . I did one with a dog a while back but never got around to scanning it. Since you mention though, I will add now :)

This one is a visual journal page with recycled art again. I used too little glue and it started to lift so its got a bit of pucker but I am calling it texture :)
Used photo copies of my old sketches, acrylic paint, pencil, markers, oil pastels, and a construction paper heart done in Visual Journal

"Heart of a Lion"
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2011/132279-heartoflion.jpg

And this is where I am at now with the page for my friend. Yesterday was her memorial and her fav dog was there, and he looked so sad. . . that is why I added the tears.

"Journey"
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2011/132279-carla.jpg

Zentangles
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2011/132279-zentangle.jpg

poochemio
02-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Very cool Rainy, thanks for sharing the memorial page!
When my glue gives it up I take a bit of gel medium on a brush and shove it under the piece and then flattend it down with the brush and a bit more medium on the edges. I can't always get away with glue sticks here, the humidity has a lot to do with that. Also using an old credit card or "room key" to smooth it down seems to help with adhering.

DrDebby
02-06-2011, 08:18 PM
You are going to town on the zentangles. I like that I can see shapes in these.

The dog page is great.

Thanks for sharing your memorial page. Yes, our pets grieve for us when we are gone.

RainySea
02-06-2011, 08:35 PM
This is a character study in Nupastels that I mentioned I would share here.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2011/132279-sioux2.jpg

poochemio
02-06-2011, 08:53 PM
The character sketch turned out very well. What sort of ground did you use? Oh and the dog zen is adorable!

virgo68
02-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Rainy, you've been so busy! I like both of the dog pages, how touching to think your friend's "best friend" is missing her so much he looks sad :(

Your Nupastels sketch is fabulous - well done ;)

eyepaint
02-06-2011, 10:27 PM
These are all great. I like the crying doggy and the nupastel portrait :) :) :)

DrDebby
02-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Cool portrait.

Vivien Maloney
02-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Gosh Rainy you've been so busy since I last looked in! Love the Zentangles and the dog at your friends memorial service, touched my heart. Great portrait.

RainySea
02-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks Margo, Jackie, Debby, EP and Viv!
Margo, it is on the suede. . . a sort of greenish color.

A kinda different zentangle, doodle type page.
"In Love with Art"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2011/132279-art-zen.jpg

poochemio
02-08-2011, 12:34 AM
Fun page Rainy, the zens seem to be unleashing all sorts of ideas for you, yipee!

JTMB
02-08-2011, 03:56 AM
Really great and fun sketches here, Rainy! Although, shouldn't the piano keyboard be a little more straight? ;)

RainySea
02-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Thanks. . . here is a quick scribble for the pen and ink challenge

Rainbow Lorikeet by skippygurl00 with pen and waterbrush
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2011/132279-lorikeet.jpg

DrDebby
02-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Less tangled, but still a doodle. Very cool.

The lorikeet is a handsome one sitting there staring back.

Joan T
02-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Rainy - You've added so much since my last visit. I love the journal pages!! The more "texture" the better. Love the zentangles and the vibrant rainbow parakeet, as well as the "In Love with Art". Great collection of sketches.

RainySea
02-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Thank you Debby and Joan!

This was for the Oil Pastel Challenge

Trigger
Portfolio Oil Pastels in Raffine Sketchbook

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2011/132279-horse-OPchallenge.jpg

poochemio
02-09-2011, 04:42 PM
What a handsome horse!

CandAlArt
02-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Wow the last 5 posts are all so good, and varied! Your tangles are very clever. The nupastel portrait has some neat colorwork going on; did you start with a colored ground? But the dog at the memorial just made me cry. What a precious page for your journal. You are on a roll!

DrDebby
02-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Wonderful horse.

JamieWG
02-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Wonderful variety of subjects and mediums! Have to say that I am partial to your ink sketches. They have a lot of style.

Jamie

RainySea
02-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks Debby, Jamie, Candace and Margo.

Just this zendala today and think I'm going to go snuggle down and watch a movie with the dogs.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2011/132279-zendala.jpg

Artlike
02-11-2011, 01:20 AM
Love all your art!

seejay
02-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Apologies for being late to the party, thanks for posting so much nice work! The variety is wonderful.

Rainbow lorikeets are beautiful birds, I often get them in trees around my yard. Beautiful, but very noisy!:D

DrDebby
02-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Cool tangle.

poochemio
02-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Cool Zendala Rainy! Tiny Dancers face in a zendala would be very cool with her long sweet nose!

Chris I'm jealous, Lorikeets flying around your house!

RainySea
02-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Thank you Chris, Ed, Debby and Margo! Wow, rainbow lorikeets in your yard, that is amazing site I bet. I saw a beautiful hummingbird in the yard today.

This one was done with a speedball dip pen & caligraphy ink I picked up for $3 set today to try out. For Pen and Ink Feb Challenge.

Chimpanzee #3 photo by jon
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2011/132279-ape.jpg

JamieWG
02-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Nice job with the fur texture! I have never been able to get the hang of those speedball dip pens. You make it look easy!

Jamie

DrDebby
02-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Wow, a dip pen. How cool. Handsome fellow.

poochemio
02-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Super Chimp Rainy. First Chris with the dip pen and now you. I drug my inks home from storage and they sit where I plunked them. Tonight I'm going to join the two of you in using them. I needed something or someone to inspire me Thank you very much!

JTMB
02-12-2011, 01:44 AM
Wow, wonderful drawings here since my last visit, Rainy! The zendala and chimp (and lorikeet, of course!) are really well done.

Jakesgram
02-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Wow!!! Rainy, you've been so busy since the last time I looked in. And it is all such wonderful, varied work.

I love what you are doing with zentangles. You're developing them into your own kind of art form and I love that. The portrait is fantastic too! There is so much movement in the color. The portrait is so perfectly highlighted and I love, love, love the background too.

My favorite, though is your "Heart of a Lion" Visual Journal page, as well as your friend's rememberance page. Your love for your friend and your love for little Tiny Dancer shine through!

Joan T
02-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Great job on the horse, but the zendal and the chimp are both gorgeous. I bought a dip pen the other day. Maybe I'll try using it.

RainySea
02-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Thank you Jamie, Joan, Jean, John, Margo and Debby!

Here is a generic dog done with the dip pen, I was having trouble with the ink not flowing on this one today.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2011/132279-dog.jpg

RainySea
02-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Forgot to say that this was the last page in my Bee Pen Sketchers journal!

DrDebby
02-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Congrats on filling a journal.

The dog is great. Can't tell you were having problems with the ink flow.

poochemio
02-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Rainy your generic dog looks like he's part pit bull to me! Congrats on completing the book, your fur texture is fab,

RainySea
02-13-2011, 02:47 AM
just a few more very quick sketches tonight before bed. . .

dip pen with different ink and water
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2011/132279-swan.jpg

another generic dog (the eyes got eerie bright, oops!)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2011/132279-dog2.jpg

seejay
02-13-2011, 08:43 AM
You are very busy with your dip pen. All good, but my favourite out of this batch is the chimp (looks a lot like me in the morning :D), and the generic dogs are nice too.

If I am having trouble with ink flow with my dip pens I stick the nib tip in a match flame for a short time, that seems to get them going again. Only for a second or two, I'm not sure if a lot of heat would be good for them. And don't touch them until they cool off, I learnt that the hard way!:D

RainySea
02-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the tip, Chris. . . I will try that!

poochemio
02-13-2011, 11:34 AM
More cool sketches, you weren't perchance watching Cujo while you sketched were you.

RainySea
02-13-2011, 11:37 AM
lol. . . Margo. Nope. . . I have never watched that movie NOR read the book, even though I like Stephen King very much and have read most of his. That was one I decided to pass on altogether.

poochemio
02-13-2011, 01:48 PM
Rainy I actually love the eyes on that piece. I admit to frequently making my dogs eyes a wee bit scary or evil looking, and she really is such a sweet dog, at least until the Fedex guy comes to deliver. He won't even come to my door but leaves packages on my driveway. I think the sound of their trucks scares the poor pooch, it's all I can think of. I never watched cujo either, that's what my friends used to call Bea when she was young and got into her deranged barking. Can't do Steven King at all, the stuff of nightmares for me I'm afraid.

Lee27
02-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Rainy, all of these are great! I love your style! My favorites are the Tahiti palm tree and the piano keyboard with the paintbrush and pencils. GREAT JOB!

DrDebby
02-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Very soft swan. Your dog looks like he got caught in the headlights with the glowing eyes. Great sketches, both of them.

CandAlArt
02-14-2011, 12:23 AM
Rainy, Great Feb. book and great ink sketches! But tell me what the main attraction is with dip pens, when the various points in Pitt or Micron, etc. 1) are simpler to use and 2) will not surely spill all over my entire desk ??.. :eek: Is it what I am thinking, the siren call of the olden days of great art & quill pens?? Is the line more attractive? I recently got some Pitts but do not use them as much as I should to really test these theories.

RainySea
02-14-2011, 01:59 AM
Hello . . . good question, Candace. For me, I purhased the dip pen to try out because it was on sale cheap (just 3 bucks for pen and ink bottle) and I was curious what it was like. It feels different than the micron or pitt. I think also that there are a lot of variety in the nibs you can get from very fine to wide enough for calligraphy (all cheap, about 99 cents) as well as you can easily use any of a variety of ink, both waterproof or not in variety of colors if you wanted. So I think the versatility is cool factor. But the old time factor you mention is a cool one too that I had not really thought of but I do like. BTW, pens do feel different to me by brand to . . . subtle but different. I don't like the pitt or prismacolor as much as I do the micron for instance. I have heard some really like the sharpie pens for tangles, but I have not tried one of those yet but am curious now :)

Fabriano Artist Journal (tanish paper). . . done while waiting to leave to go up to the desert this morning, once I got the call my friend was leaving, I stopped and this is where it was at. My truck. . .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Feb-2011/132279-truck.jpg

RainySea
02-14-2011, 10:16 AM
forgot to say that the truck was done with the rapidosketch pen .35 and a white gel pen

Joan T
02-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Excellent job on the animals!!!

poochemio
02-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Cool on your truck Rainy, I've only ever done one good car a partial picture of my orange jeep in water color. I'm with you on the prismacolor pens, I don't like them at all. One warning on the sharpies, the bleed through is fierce, if you use them on lighterweight paper it goes right on through to the next page. My friend Gaye loves them and does awesome stuff with them as you have seen. I have a ton of them so I guess I should find something to do with them, not so fond of the way the colors lay down, but it could have been the paper I was using. Good luck on the quest for the perfect pen, and if you find it let us know!

Happy Valentines Day:heart:

DrDebby
02-16-2011, 01:34 AM
Marvelous truck sketch.

JTMB
02-16-2011, 12:22 PM
Wow, Rainy, some really nice work here! I love the dogs and the truck in particular.

RainySea
02-16-2011, 11:40 PM
Thanks John, Debby, Margo and Joan!

Here is a quick doodle/experiment today as I was trying to see what pen would write well over oil pastels. Portfolio OP, and various pen the last on top white gel pen did the best.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2011/132279-treeoflife.jpg

seejay
02-17-2011, 12:09 AM
Rainy, nice view of your truck, and the op experiment looks successful. I wouldn't have thought any pen would write on top of op, goes to show sometimes you just have to try!

DrDebby
02-17-2011, 10:10 PM
White gel pen for the win. :)

eyepaint
02-18-2011, 01:59 AM
Nice job on the truck. I know that vehicles can start off fine and then the drawings can go off track quickly. You should see my most recent bus sketch. Hello - is this an actual vehicle that carries full grown people? :) :) :)

RainySea
02-18-2011, 09:49 AM
thanks EP, Debby and Chris. Sandra told me that Pentel Brush pen also will go over OP so I have to try that now. . . I do have one. :) In doing the visual journals pages, I really need a pen that can do that.

CandAlArt
02-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Rainy, Thanks for your thoughts on dip & other pens. We used them in high school art (a zillion years ago) for plein air street/landscapes, and I am thinking the line was more creative. And one goes slower than a ball/solid point pen, with such different effects. Now I want to try some out again-- The price is right. I love sampling inexpensive lines of art materials! PS I will use a small tray under the bottle for my fear of spill massacres!):eek:

Joan T
02-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Rainy - It is hard to find a pen that writes over the ops. That's why I quit using them in my Visual journal. Good job on the tree.

RainySea
02-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks everyone. . . what do you use instead of the OP, Joan?

I apologize for this one being unfinished, but I did it at the car dealer while waiting for my truck to get its tune up and both items are from magazine covers laying on the table in the lounge. Since I could not take the magazine with me, the girl will remain unfinished as I know if I try from imagination, it won't come out well.

pencil in raffine sketch
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2011/132279-face.jpg

poochemio
02-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Unfinished or not, good sketch. Rainy do you have any neocolor II's you can write on them or what about using a wash of acrylic. When all else fails on the acrylic you can use ballpoint. Did you try soft graphite? I know you asked Joan, just throwing around ideas. I personally think if you are going to use op's in mixed media it's best to save them for last then this isn't an issue. Of course that is not how the intstructor taught it to be done. With the Neocolor II's you can add water or gesso and spread the color lighten it and still write on it with the instrument of your choice. These online classes frequently leave me asking REALLY? Always too many unanswered questions for me.

DrDebby
02-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Great use of time. The sketches are great, even if the girl is unfinished. She looks as if she's appearing out of the page.

CandAlArt
02-20-2011, 01:26 AM
Great use of time. The sketches are great, even if the girl is unfinished. She looks as if she's appearing out of the page.

YES! That's the deal; learning to sketch everywhere. Must make waiting in the usually somewhat smelly car repair waiting rooms so much more fun!:wink2: Great sketch!

JTMB
02-20-2011, 01:29 PM
I chuckled when I read where you did this one, Rainy. (It's quite nice, by the way!) The reason is that I do the same thing now when I'm waiting for car repairs. I used to hate waiting there (or anywhere). Now I get involved in the sketching and the time just flies by.

RainySea
02-20-2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks John, Candace, Debby and Margo.

Margo, I do have a small set of neocolor II and didn't know you could write on them. . . is it maybe only after washing them that you can write on them. They seem so waxy that I had assumed that would not work well. I do agree about the unanswered questions. . .Are you taking the second workshop in March?

This was just a doodle I did in sketchbook while watching a movie last night with my daughter and was loosely based on a lady who was on the show for a few mins mainly because the hat caught my eye. . . but mostly its from imagination as she was gone long before I did much so its not at all accurate.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2011/132279-africian.jpg

RainySea
02-20-2011, 07:43 PM
This one is from today. . . its in raffine sketch 5 x 8 with derwent ws graphite pencil and niji waterbrush
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2011/132279-cat.jpg

poochemio
02-20-2011, 10:05 PM
I like both the sketches Rainy, the cat looks kind of like Robert's bobcat. Cool that you just pick up the sketchbook wherever you are and sketch something. Too bad I live so far away, we could go on a sketchcrawl. I haven't been able to find anyone who goes on them around here. Surely there are people who do it but they don't say anything about it on the sketchcrawl site. Of course I should check again before I spout off.

I don't know that you can write over the neocolor II's as is but definitely if you do a wash over them with water, or a coat of gesso. Easy enough to try on a piece of scrap paper tho.

I will check out the second class. I'm afraid the first was pretty much a rehash of things I've already been doing for some time. I'm more interested in doing new sketches than using the old ones. We shall see with the second class. I'm really most intrigued with what Roz Stendahl might do. I'm a fan of her journals and bookbinding.

Have a good week, and happy sketching!

DrDebby
02-21-2011, 12:06 AM
Great sketches. Really like the cat.

Kema
02-21-2011, 09:54 AM
Love the cat! Very feline essence...

eyepaint
02-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Love the eyes in the critters ... the doggies (the burst of colour from a monochrome piece - awesome!!) and the kitty :)

Joan T
02-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Good job on these!!! I always bring my sketchbook when I take my car in for service and sketch the people waiting there. Love the cat too.

I signed up for all 3 of the workshops. It is fun to look at the lessons, even if you don't post.

RainySea
02-24-2011, 10:30 AM
I signed up for all three too!

Here is a doodled trying out zentangle with two colors in the fabriano sketchbook which has various color pages. I didn't like the paper for zentangles much, too much texture or something. The other was a quick testing of OP on that paper on the other side of the same page.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2011/132279-zen-fab.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2011/132279-glass.jpg

Yesterday was my soft pastel workshop (missed the last class last week so have one more to go) and I started a new work. . . its not finished yet but so far I like it better than the last one. But I just mention to say that I have really been doing art other than doodles, just not yet ready to post. :)

DrDebby
02-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Interesting two-tone zentangle.

The brandy snifter is cool.

CandAlArt
02-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Rainy I LOVE the 2 tones on toned paper tangle! I had not tried this yet! I really am enjoying all your tangles and getting ideas for my own.
... A bit embarrassed to say this but I have gotten in the habit of tangling on the facing page of my sermon notes at church. :o (3x5 bound book) A recognizable sketch sometimes is in the middle somewhere. They invariably end up looking like a planned sermon illustration! Amazes me. It actually helps keep me stay focused on the sermon rather that getting distracted looking out a window or some such. Or dozing to my horror! Gettin' old, need help with attention... eh? what's that??:lol:

JTMB
02-25-2011, 11:34 PM
Nice work on the zentangle...and the cat is great as well!

virgo68
02-26-2011, 01:13 AM
:lol: at Candace!

Congratulations Rainy, your journal sketches are great - you are tackling so many subjects and different media with great confidence. I can't believe how busy you've been and how much work you've done :)

RainySea
02-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks Debby, Jackie, John and Candace. . . . Candace :lol:

The first one I was testing out some pens I had around to see if they washed or not and making notes on that. Its in Raffine. The second one is a portrait in progress from my workshop that I am still working on (I have to fix one side of the glasses/face still as I covered part of the face/glasses that was showing on that side when I was roughing in the background and might add a bit more detail on the hat). Sorry the photo came out more red than it really is in person.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2011/132279-pentests.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2011/132279-class4.jpg

poochemio
02-26-2011, 02:03 PM
The two tone zentangle has a big impact. What is this Fabriano sketchbook and where do you get them? (sketchbook junkie remember!)

I like the idea of trying all the pens for washes, need to do more of that myself, as I think it is a blast. I like Pilot precise V5's for washes, but if left to sit too long they don't wash as well. I use the extra fine.

RainySea
02-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Thanks Margo. . . the Fabriano artist journal comes in two version. . . one has a blue cover and has pages that are white and cream only. That is the only version blick sells now unfortunately. The other one that I have has lots of different colors!! Its very fun and it even takes a light wash ok (meaning like with pens and ws graphite. . . have not tried it with actual watercolor). works good for pastels and oil pastels and charcoals. ok for pencil and pen but it does have a lot of texture so its not my preferred for those.

RainySea
02-26-2011, 05:46 PM
more pen testing/playing. . . this one is a Pilot Precise Grip pen
freehanded doodle w/no pencil first so its very rough
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2011/132279-girl.jpg

poochemio
02-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks Rainy! Like the girl. One of the reasons I like to play with color washes is...it's a good way to correct my lines when they go awry with pen, something new and fun can happen.

DrDebby
02-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Great seeing your experiments and your WIP.

Joan T
02-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Great zentangle on the colored page!!! I like that portrait too...good color and shadowing.

RainySea
02-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Thanks Joan, Debby and Margo. This one is an atc

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2011/132279-mona-cat.jpg

CandAlArt
02-27-2011, 04:49 PM
O my goodness! The blue eyed cat is stunning! Just beautiful work on the eye coloring.

DrDebby
02-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Gorgeous kitty.

poochemio
02-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Super Rainy!:clap: Between you and Joan I am finally starting to see a way to go about ATC's I like. :) Most of them leave me cold or asking why.:confused:

RainySea
02-28-2011, 02:08 AM
thanks Margo, Debby and Candace! Went to a meeting with my daughter today and did this quick pen sketch during a break, drawing moving people is hard for me as they only be in one position for a minute and using pen one cannot correct!!! Anyway. . . added wash when I got home. OH, and this is in a tiny 3 x 4 visual journal.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2011/132279-meeting.jpg

RainySea
02-28-2011, 11:26 AM
zentangle doogle with some wash in 3 x 4 visual journal
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2011/132279-zenwash.jpg

poochemio
02-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Cool Zen and portrait sketch. The moving away quickly is the hardest part for me, there are many portrait sketches started but not finished in my books for just that reason. Still it teaches you to get the gesture down much more quickly! I'm loving my mini sketchbooks, think for me they are good at getting the info down quicker cause there isn't much page to fill! Whatever it takes is good.

RainySea
02-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Thanks Margo.

lunch break zen in my tiny visual journal. . . I'm liking this little book. So portable and nice paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2011/132279-zen.jpg

DrDebby
02-28-2011, 07:55 PM
More cool zentangles. People just won't sit still, it's very annoying. :lol: Good job.

RainySea
02-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Thanks Debby. . . :lol:

Trying pen more, no pencil first and proportions are hard for me to get right first time out with no erasing. So I need the practice!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2011/132279-glasses.jpg

DrDebby
02-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Like the sunglasses. Keep practicing. You're getting better and better.

poochemio
03-01-2011, 12:08 AM
ditto on what Debby said! And it's just paper girlfriend. Which paper does the mini journal have?

Like the last 2 sketches. The zen is so fun. Maybe that's my problem with zens I went for too big of a page? I however think you have got it in spades. Oh an my friend Gaye is back online a wee bit. Why don't you leave her a message on her page? I told her she had a new fan. She is like the coolest and lives in a wee small town in Saskatchewan, so nice for her to have someone to chat with about what she is so fabulous at (and it sure isn't me!).

RainySea
03-01-2011, 02:04 AM
Your right, Margo. . . only paper!! So here is another try in the tiny book. Doing these quick sketches like this is fun. Last one for the month
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2011/132279-glasses2.jpg

seejay
03-01-2011, 05:24 AM
That's the last? Well done, Rainy, a lot of nice sketches produced during your month for Love. :clap:

Joan T
03-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Rainy - These quick portraits are great...and without pencil lines first!!! Love the zentangles too, and that cat with the awesome eyes!

poochemio
03-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Love the last one Rainy, looks kind of like an ink sketch I did of my daughter last fall, she's never without her huge sunglasses.

RainySea
03-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Thank you Chris, Joan and Margo!!
My daughter likes big sunglasses, too, Joan.

JTMB
03-01-2011, 09:39 PM
The sunglassy sketches are great!

DrDebby
03-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Another cool sketch. Last one? What's next?