PDA

View Full Version : ~**daily Wash - Wednesday 2nd February 2011**~

nola276
02-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Hi everyone, I thought I would start the wash early for today, in the hope that some of our Queensland Buddies get the time to post and tell us how they are doing, preparation wise, for what is coming. They say that the energy from the cyclone for two days would be enough to power the world for a year:eek:. BBL, Cheers, Nola.:wave:

CharM
02-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Hi Nola. I hope, with all my heart, that all our Aussie friends are safe and sound...

It's snowing in Chatham... began about an hour ago and we have our first fresh inch on the ground... no freezing rain came in ahead of the snow for which we're grateful... it's really blowing, though and that's going to cause us some drifting issues in the morning.

We'll assess what's happening in the morning... I told Matt to speak with his Lab and Clinical Coordinators, to see what would happen if the College does not close, but he can't get there... for once in his life, he did as I asked and spoke to both Teachers, and they're going to *cut him some slack* if he can't get into town...

I'm off to bed... I hope to read tomorrow morning that everyone is A-ok!

:heart: G'nite...

artmom
02-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Our power just came back on after being off for about an hour and 45 minutes. Ed and I just read happily on our Kindles, after he set me up with a new oxygen tank that doesn't need electricity. He's such a sweetie! Now, he's resetting all the clocks, etc.:rolleyes: His work never ends!

Best wishes to all.

Lyn

BDorsa
02-02-2011, 12:08 AM
it's 12:05am here on the Carolina Coast and all is well. High temp of 70F expected for later today.:thumbsup:

Nola, I hope you & all those living in Australia & surrounding areas are safe from the cyclone. :heart:

good night Char!

Lyn, happy to hear your electric is back on...such a worry when it's out. Your Ed sounds like a wonderful man.

I'll be back tomorrow. good night/good morning to all who stop by after me. :wave:

if your getting the bad north american storm, I'm thinking of you, praying and I hope you can stay home.

:grouphug: hugs all around:grouphug:

nola276
02-02-2011, 01:18 AM
Hi Char, I can't really comprehend what snow must be like, but it sounds at the very least inconvenient and at the worst rather deadly. It's good that Matt doesn't have to go out if it's at all unsafe.

Hi Lyn, that must be really difficult in a power out.

Hi Bridget, We won't be affected by the cyclone in any way, we are towards the bottom of Western Australia and the cyclone is toward the top of Queensland, mega mega miles and states away. We can only look on in horror at what is happening to the distant (from us) part of our country.

Cheers Nola.:wave:

monikadeo
02-02-2011, 02:20 AM
Hi Washers,

Happy Hump Day!

I haven't read on the latest update on the cyclone today. But I hope all our friends in North America and Aus are safe.

We plucked our first red tomato on Monday :D It was the size of a large cherry :) but tasted fantastic!

I did a lot of cooking on the weekend (for a change ;)) but no painting :( Cooked peas curry and pulav (a Rice preparation with some vegetables). My aunt and a cousin visited for lunch. Also baked a simple chocolate cake which turned out Ok.

Will catch up on the daily wash for last few days ...

Have a nice day everyone!

-Monika.

Yorky
02-02-2011, 02:38 AM
Good morning all from a dark but dry and warm (45F) West Lancashire.

I do hope that the oncoming cyclone won't cause too much damage and bring back those horrible floods in Queensland.

I rang my son in Novi last night and spoke to Adrienne. Alexander has had a stomach virus but is now on the mend and she was very blasť about the oncoming snow. It's just a fact of life in Michigan and Peter will work from home and help with the shovelling. I offered to fund a snow blower but they don't want another thing to have to store - they haven't got a garage.

Well, I have a free day, so I hope I can get to paint.

Glad you are feeling better Bridget, take care.

Doug

ScarletLake
02-02-2011, 03:44 AM
Hi

It is 3:30am here in Ohio. Currently it is raining and the Dayton,OH area has 55,000 without electricity. Obviously so far we are OK but I am not sure how much longer we will have power.

We lost a small branch of the tree in our backyard and you can hear trees breaking from the park next door and if they take out the lines it will affect us.

I read that in Oakwood where Sylvia lives they lost a transformer so I don't know if they have electric or not. She may be one of the 55,000 without.

Will check in later if I can

Anita

doppler
02-02-2011, 03:52 AM
Good Evening everyone.

Don't worry ... us in the south-east of Queensland will miss out. No tears about that either.

Rang my brother in Townsville ... they have prepared as much as they can and are settling down with my chef nephew and 4 dogs. Their chooks are penned in the shed which should hold. Their home is very solidly built so :crossfingers:

Everyone is nervous. Yasi is a MONSTER system. Biggest ever .. in European memory. Probably won't sleep much tonight.

Hope all are safe in those northern storms.

LynnLC :eek:

shipbroker
02-02-2011, 04:39 AM
Good Morning all.....

Hope all in North America/Canada & Queensland are hanging on in there..((((((()))))))

Grey but brightening here, may go into Northallerton Market later..day been disrupted already as I overslept!!!.....well 4 hours mainly then another couple after a long gap...just as I was thinking of getting up...I feel whacked!

Just taken a phone call whilst typing this...another friend passed to the great caravan site in the sky,believed peacefully as wife had gone into the shower leaving him to make tea...and he had gone on her return.....RIP.

Back later

rgds

geoff

Allan Jameson
02-02-2011, 05:36 AM
G'day g'day to all
very hot and humid here.
To give everyone an idea how big this Cyclone is that is about to hit Nth Qld in 2 to 3 hrs here is an overlay of it over the USA.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2011/2622-Stom_Yasi.gif

Lulu
02-02-2011, 05:48 AM
evening all, nearly midnight here, have been listening to the news, and I can't go off to sleep for thinking of the extremely alarming impending storm about to hit Nth Queensland. My heart and prayers are with everyone concerned.

Geoff, so sorry to hear of another friend's passing.

shipbroker
02-02-2011, 05:48 AM
Woww.......that is big Allan.....................

geoff

nola276
02-02-2011, 05:52 AM
Sorry about your friend Geoff, but if you have to go, that's a good way. I hope my fate is as kind.

Hi Alan, that picture is amazing.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for all your loved ones Annie. I'm afraid, coward that I am, I would have (politely) b#^<*#ed off by now. Cheers, Nola.

Johnnie
02-02-2011, 05:58 AM
Tis the end of the world.. Tis the end of the world.. Oh my oh my.. What am I going to do? Tis the end of days... lol

Johnnie

UNK
02-02-2011, 06:00 AM
Yup! Lotsa snow fell early this morning and it will keep going until around noon time - time to get the plow out and push it hither and yon. Great time to stay indoors and paint:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2011/230647-DSC_0002.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2011/230647-DSC_0003.jpg

Still it's pretty and white cats are fully camoflaged if you can get 'em to go out )

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2011/230647-cat10_1kb_1698.gif

UNK

ReggieS
02-02-2011, 06:38 AM
just want to say hi! It's snowing very heavily here! Expect 18 in! Hope our friends in Australia are ok! Hope Sylvia and everyone else here on the east coast are ok. drive carefiully! Gotta take shower and go to work!

Love,

Reggie

CJMonty
02-02-2011, 07:16 AM
Have had text from my brother and his family through the day, they live in Cairns, North Queensland. They have just lost power, and they are experiencing horrendous winds and rain and the main body of Cyclone Yasi is not due to cross the coast for another two hours. They have " Bunkered down in the bathroom" so am hoping and praying they stay safe. Their home is considered by the Shire to be Storm Surge safe to 6 metres and there is an estimated surge of 5 to 7 metres.!!!::eek:

Will keep you all informed.

Lots of Love Carolynn.:grouphug: :grouphug: :heart: :heart: :heart: :) :) :wave: :thumbsup: :heart: :heart: :thumbsup: :grouphug: :grouphug:

monikadeo
02-02-2011, 07:36 AM
OMG, Allan, that's huge! :eek:

WthrLady
02-02-2011, 07:53 AM
Still sitting around getting damage report phone calls from family in Ohio. What a mess. My sister's neighbor had a 60 foot sycamore tree come down in large bits. It took out the power to the owner's house. My sister said they stayed toward the middle of the house last night as they are surrounded by huge maple and oak trees, planted in the 50s. She said crashing was all around them, as after the ice came rain, and then WIND. Ugh. One large branch came down and scraped the house and just missed her car.

My mom called when a huge branch came down in her yard, even bigger trees. It missed everything coming down, which she thanks her spring tree trimming crew for. And while she's talking to me on the phone at midnight, I could hear a huge crash! She asked me if I heard it, which I did, and it was a tree a block away! Then another two came down!

The insurance adjusters shall be busy today !

This coast of Florida was spared. We had tonado watches and storm warnings all evening, but nothing but wind and a little rain came of it. My US flag is shredded, but easily replaced.

Now, back to painting.

CharM
02-02-2011, 08:00 AM
Good morning! We're good... after I logged off last night, the ice pellets began covering the snow... and the wind came up fiercely blowing it all around and even packing it into the windows between the screens and the glass... But, we didn't get as much accumulation as predicted thank goodness. The drifting is bad and our roads are not as safe as they could be... There's more snow on the way as this reprieve is just a lull in something of a "U" shaped front and we're currently inside the two legs... :)

Matt's College is closed, so he's retreated back to his bed... and Ted is still snoring... he won't bother to get out on the snowblower until the second wave of our storm has passed.

I have fresh coffee brewed if you'd like a cup... *sniff* Doesn't it smell good?

The huge cyclone is truly frightening! I'm glad to see that Nola, Annie, Carolynn and Allan have checked in... and :crossfingers: that all friends and family can and will stay safe.

Geoff... condolences on the passing of your friend...

Please drive very carefully, Reggie!

And, thanks for checking in Anita! I hope that you don't lose your power... and that Sylvia is just late in getting here (I'm thinking she probably doesn't have power, though)...

So... with nothing much to demanding my attention today, I can take some time to paint... :wave: bbl...

:eek: Caryl... we x-posted... Where in Ohio????

Ellen in Ont
02-02-2011, 08:06 AM
:wave: everyone,
Wow, huge storms around the globe. I am happy I'm sitting up here experiencing only our normal winter weather. It is supposed to be sunny and cold today here (-29 right now) but calm winds. I have been keeping an eye on the news of both storms and hoping everyone is safe and sound.

I have lots of catching up to do on paperwork and studying to do for an ACLS course I have to re-certify for (advanced cardiac life support). My son also asked me to print out some old photos and frame them for his restaurant. I also have to put a power point presentation on my laptop that another member of our art club will be giving tomorrow using my laptop and projector, so my day will be filled. I am working dayshift again tomorrow so everything has to be done today.

I need to get busy with all of the above so I won't spend more time here right now but I'll keep checking in to see if there is word of our friends experiencing those storms. Safety first everyone.

WthrLady
02-02-2011, 08:09 AM
Westerville, a 'burb of Columbus on the NE side of the beltway

my friends in and around Dayton aren't fairing much better

CharM
02-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Sylvia lives in the Dayton area... :( Thanks Caryl...

Hi Ellen!

Forgot to mention that the Groundhog did not see his shadow, so we'll enjoy an early Spring... :)

AND... today is my Son Chris' 37th Birthday... Out on the west coast, it's too early to call him just yet...

Strawberry Wine
02-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Morning All,

It is snowing here ! :) At 12:30 a.m. and it hadn't started. I was up at about 6:30 this morning and we had already accumulated 6 inches or more but no high winds....yet. So far, this is just a regular winter snow storm for us...

:grouphug: Queensland, Australia :grouphug: Annie and Allan, that is one huge cyclone.... Praying that all friends, families and everyone else is able to hunker down and stay safe.

Anita, stay warm and dry and hoping you escape the power outages and trees coming down.

Wilf, glad you popped in I was wondering where you were? Is that a photo of the Toronto or Haliburton area?

Johnnie, I just saw on the weather network that Hamilton will be one of the hardest hit. Check in later if you can.

Sylvia, hope you and Larry are safe and as warm as you can be if you are without power.

Char, glad they closed the college and Matt does not have to drive anywhere.

I am off to get another coffee.

See you all in a bit.

Cheers,

Gail

Scene Chaser
02-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Good Day All

I am off today because of the weather. Iím hoping for two days.

I was taken off the IVís as of yesterday. After I told my doctor that I had begun some problems with equilibrium, everything was halted except for some oral antibiotics. Itís nice to be free.

Char, Glad matt didnít have to go in. I guess spring is just around the corner thanks to no sun.

Lyn, glad your power is back on. Stay safe.

Bridget, Iím so jealous of your weather. Are you feeling better?

Nola, I wish I could throw you a snowball. :)

Monika, I have to buy my tomatoes ten months of the year. Love the home grown.

Allan, You scared the HELL out of me when I saw the American map. But, it puts our snow storm to sham. Hope all fair well in Queensland.

My condolences regarding your friend, Geoff.

Johnnie, Indeed, the sky is falling. Here comes the ice age. I wonder how long it will take to get here? Long after Iíve gone, I hope.

Sylvia, I suspect you have lost power. I hope to hear from you soon. Stay warm. If I live nearby, Iíd clean your drive. Larry must be terribly frustrated to feel so handicapped at this time.

Doug, your choice of prints is beautiful. When we visited that gallery, I remember thinking it would be hard to choose which Iíd prefer. They were all so beautiful.

Bill

Uschi
02-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Good MOrning Everyone!!!

I woke up and immediately looked at the neighbour's roof - nothing, went downstairs and looked at my driveway - almost nothing, looked at the table on my deck in the back and finally saw that we had about 6" of snow. The very strong wind had blown all the snow off the roofs and driveway.

As Ellen said, really just a normal winter storm but the wind is cold and nasty and driving on the highway out in the country would be dangerous with the drifting and white outs.

I could easily get to table tennis but had already psychologically prepared myself to stay home, so I think I'll stay home, especially since I woke up late.

Keeping fingers crossed and sending hugs and a few prayers to those affected by the cyclone, I heard that the wind could reach close to
300 km:eek: Allan, that is massive!!

Sylvia, if your pwer is off I hope you get it back quickly and I also hope that you were not affected by the trees all around your property.

Lyn, glad all is well with you!!

Brian, you are FREE!!!!:clap: :clap:

Bridget, I'm glad you are feeling better!!

Johnnie, yes, they do make a big fuss about a condition that is normal for this part of the country. I think the fact that we have been getting less snow over the last couple of years gets them all excited over a couple of cm more:D

Doug, your DIL really does have the right attitude and snow shovelling is healthy exercise, especially when young:D

Geoff, so sorry about the loss of yet another one of your friends!

Char, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Chris and enjoy potsing around on your free day.

Hi Gail!

Ellen, busy as usual!!

Lovely photos UNK!!!

:wave: to Nola, Carolynn, Caryl, Monika, Reggie, Lulu and all yet to come!!!

Uschi

WthrLady
02-02-2011, 09:32 AM
I went to look up whether or not Sylvia has power, I'm guessing not since she hasn't been online yet, but the map http://www.dpandl.com/customer-service/outage-center/outage-map/ isn't available ! LOL !

Strawberry Wine
02-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Me again

I just remembered that I wanted to share some info on the new printer I bought yesterday... A very good deal

Staples (Business Depot), has a HP Photosmart C 4680 on sale for $30.00. Printer, copier and scanner all in one. :thumbsup: Dan bought one last September and really likes it.. I printed some of my Christmas Cards on it and the colour is excellent.
My old HP 6200 all in one is about 8 years old and was starting to get periodic printer carriage jams and also was getting pretty low on ink... Do I buy ink for the old one or do I get a new printer????? The sale price on the HP sold me.

Uschi, glad you checked in...

Darla, where is the "shaking head" icon.

Bill, glad you are now detached. :)

:music: Happy Birthday:music: to Char's Chris.

BBL

Cheers,

Gail

BDorsa
02-02-2011, 09:37 AM
hello !! glad to see everyone checking in...and is safe & sound so far :crossfingers:

Bill - it's raining today & tomorrow back down to the low 40sF for the high temp. I'm glad to be living in the south now, I lived through many bad NY winters. Yes I am feeling better. quite a bit actually. Not going to push myself too much because I don't want a pneumonia relapse & I've got heart problems so I need to be careful. :heart:

Planning on painting soon. My SO Dawn spilled a big cup of coffee this morning. I soaked it all up & got some oxyclean + water on it. Looks fine. Now I've got to wash all the towels I used in the clean up.

I'll be back later !!

BDorsa
02-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Gail, what a wonderful buy. Is the ink expensive for that printer?

MRSBB
02-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Good morning everyone. Had to check in and see how all my friends are holding up in this weather. Almost 8 am here in sunny southern Arizona. Right now we are at a balmy 20F, brrrrrrrrrr.

I am so worried about our friends in Australia. I do hope they are spared major damage. One of my friends Greensyster, lives in Agnes Waters and by looking at the map will be hit pretty hard. My prayers and white light go out to all in harms way.

Happy Birthday to your son Char.

Hope Sylvia, Lyn, Darla, Bill and all back east are staying warm and not having to drive. I remember the ice storms we used to get in Michigan. I think I better call my brother and see how they are doing.

Take care and hugs all around.............Lenore

CJMonty
02-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Have had text from my brother and his family through the day, they live in Cairns, North Queensland. They have just lost power, and they are experiencing horrendous winds and rain and the main body of Cyclone Yasi is not due to cross the coast for another two hours. They have " Bunkered down in the bathroom" so am hoping and praying they stay safe. Their home is considered by the Shire to be Storm Surge safe to 6 metres and there is an estimated surge of 5 to 7 metres.!!!::eek:

Will keep you all informed.

Lots of Love Carolynn.:grouphug: :grouphug: :heart: :heart: :heart: :) :) :wave: :thumbsup: :heart: :heart: :thumbsup: :grouphug: :grouphug:

MRSBB
02-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks Carolynn, I appreciate the news. Sending white light to your brother..............Lenore

WthrLady
02-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Gail - wait until you see the price of HP exclusive cartridge ink! One of the many reasons we finally chucked our HP printer/scanner/copier. Plus, those refill companies can't refil the new ink cartridges until the machines are programmed for them. I'm still waiting for that on our lexmark, which eats ink like no tomorrow! (Ink bins that come WITH printers aren't full ink sets BTW.)

olliewood0702
02-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Happy Hump DAY!:wave:

I'm here at work....I got stuck (buried) in my subdivision and had to walk back to the house and wake up Larry to come shovel/snowblow me out. What a mess...we received 11.7" of new snow mixed with freezing rain....heavy. Once I got a run at it I just kept going and the proceeded to get stuck at the intersection of our subdivision and the main road.:rolleyes: I rocked the car and managed to get out and once I was on the main road (about a 1/2 mile from subdivision) I was okay and they had one lane plowed. I drove through a few big drifts on the way into work but it wasn't that bad.

I get to work and read an email from the owner of the compnay saying that the Company was OPEN but that if you didn't feel safe to drive in then you'd be "excused" from any attendance/absences counting against you! Well...not ALL of us employees have access to our work emails from home! The phone # that we are to call in case of the company closing just said we were open NOT that it was an "excused day" and I would have stayed home if I knew that and spent the day with my granddaughters.:( These people around here just cannot Communicate at all.:confused: :rolleyes:

Anyway there were only THREE of us here and then slowly a few more trickled in. Total workers here 7 or 8. Poor Fawn, my co-worker is manning the call center single-handedly! It's crazy as the Mayor called for a State of Emergency and EVERYTHING is closed, all public offices, banks, state workers, even GM has called off their shifts for today. What some people will do for that almighty $$$:rolleyes:

(((SYLVIA))) I'm sure they are withoug power and heaven only knows when it will get restored as many thousands are without it.:heart:

Allan, the size of that cyclone is UNREAL:eek: MY PRAYERS and concerns are beaming toward QUEENSLAND and all of it's inhabitants in the cyclone's path. I pray it blows itself out before it can do major flooding and damage.:crossfingers:

All these natural disasters; make one fearful....the sizes of these storms are what scares me.:o

Geoff, so sorry about your friends' passing.:heart: I've always said it's harder on the family when it's sudden but like LuLu, I'd chose that way if we could have our own choice.

Doug, this snow is VERY HEAVY and Peter should take pre-cautions. It's a nasty storm.

The wind is still howling and they said we can expect another 1-3 inches today before it dies down.

Char, all the universities and colleges are closed here too. :thumbsup:

I so wished I were home baking cookies with my girls but someone has to work and those of us who showed up will get an extra vacation day out of it.

Only one more day to work then Larry and I leave for Nashville. I'm SO READY for a few days of R&R with my hubby.:clap:

Well, better get some work done.:wave: :grouphug:

WthrLady
02-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Actually DP&L power are really quick to get things up and running again. They've had LOTS of ice storm practice and tree trimming in the last several years. OC being closer to downtown doesn't hurt either.

Europa
02-02-2011, 11:20 AM
AFTERNOON WASHGANGEROOS!!

Just back from the office - was in late today as the physiotherapist came around lunch time to assess Mum. She was very thorough and has given her some exercises for her shoulders and knees - she was very good at explaining it all to Mum.

Also gave her a support bandage for her knee and also a new walking stick - seemed the one she was using was actually too high - this new one has an extended handle at the top on which she can rest her hand.

Terrible all this horrendous weather being experienced - re what Johnny said - well according to the Mayan calendar the world will end in 2012 - not far off now. I actually got a text from a friend of mine all doom and gloom about the extreme weather and disasters being experienced all over the world recently and about the Mayan calendar prediction - just what you need to cheer you up.....LOL.

Char - Happy Birthday to Chris.

Thinking of everyone experiencing dire conditions or those not feeling too good - white light all around.

LUGGLES :wave:

Pat xxx

shipbroker
02-02-2011, 12:07 PM
The Mayan year was of a different length to ours Pat!

Darla.......what a company!

cheers

geoff

WthrLady
02-02-2011, 12:31 PM
end of the Mayan LONG calendar- 2012 is simply the start/beginning of a new calendar and the end of the old one....

A thousand thumbs up Geoff!!!

ona
02-02-2011, 12:46 PM
just a quick hi from me.

For those of you not on FB i have a feature article about my painting of Wayne (the gliding one) in the Canadian Paraplegic Association winter 2011 magazine. The article is on my blog if you want to see it.

hope everyone is keeping warm/dry and safe, its still snowing heavily here.

Ona

Strawberry Wine
02-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Bridget, the price of the cartridges is average.

Caryl, this my 4th HP and I don't find that the cartridges that exspensive and they do last a long time. I can buy the generic from Staples but the savings are not that significant. Yes, I know that the cartridges that come with the printer have less ink.. Dan bought his in September but he is still using the ink that came with the printer.

When I bought my first HP I did a test run on printing a photo using Best, uses the most ink, Normal and Fast Normal and could not tell the difference... Weeks and months later still no difference. I never print anything on Best and rarely on Normal and use fast draft for anything B&W so the ink in the cartridge goes a long way. Most printers automatically select Best if you are printing a photo so remember to manually change it to Average (Normal) or Fast Normal (Economy)

Cheers,

Gail

EDIT : Hi Ona, still snowing heavily here too. I went out in the garden to fill one of the bird feeders and the snow is way up past my knees.

Only 26 more sleeps until Mexico :)

CharM
02-02-2011, 02:18 PM
So... we ventured outside around 10:00 o'clock this morning to begin cleaning up the snow... well, it seems that we received a little more snow than I originally thought... and the drifts measured over 2' deep... Matt would never have been able to get out even if he wanted to this morning... and that snow was some heavy, I don't mind telling you!

Ted did the snow blowing and I shovelled the porch and sidewalks... then, I made a path for the kitties so they could jump down from their kitty door... they didn't fancy jumping into the deep snow and were crossing their little kitty legs (needing to go out to do their business)...

I have finished a small painting with my pan pastels... I had begun a line and wash composition on Monday for my class, but decided to finish it with the pastels... It will have to be sprayed, of course, with fixative which is really a drawback to this medium.

Darla, Darla, Darla! I'm just glad you're safe... and HHD, Girl!

Ooooh, Gail! A new printer! I regret buying my little Canon...

*nodding* about the Mayan Calendar... yup, it's time for them to write up a new one... trouble is, there don't seem to be any Mayans around who know how to do it... :(

Pat... tell your friend that there isn't much point in worrying over something we simply cannot change, improve or control... :)

Congratulations, Ona! It's snowing on and off now, here, but it won't amount to anything...

I'm heading back to my easel... cya! :wave:

WthrLady
02-02-2011, 02:34 PM
LOTS of Mayans around !!! :D

It's the Aztecs that are gone.

Gail - DH just told me it was the Canon printer we had such trouble with, not the HP!

CharM
02-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Caryl, I didn't say they weren't around... just looking for those who know how to draft a new Calendar... :)

shipbroker
02-02-2011, 03:27 PM
So we are going between Incas and Inkers!....

Cartridges....in my last four or five business years we had various printers in office and home...Canon ( which were once refillable) were the most expensive in print copy terms. In individual purchase prices the HP ones overall were the worst,however, our accounting system was based on HP technology so no joy there. At home my last four printers have been Epsons, the present one is a business type machine with fax and scan capability and has been the best so far...but Epson cartridges are pricey and they will no longer accept 'generics'..they just refuse to go!!..BUT, I can get them at most supermarkets if I run out when the printshops are closed.........

Mayans...if we know so much about the 'old' calendar we can just carry on can't we?? There is already a book and lectures on 2013 The New Start!
Who knows I may have finished my current painting which is taking ages...

rgds

geoff

painterbear
02-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Hi

It is 3:30am here in Ohio. Currently it is raining and the Dayton,OH area has 55,000 without electricity. Obviously so far we are OK but I am not sure how much longer we will have power.

We lost a small branch of the tree in our backyard and you can hear trees breaking from the park next door and if they take out the lines it will affect us.

I read that in Oakwood where Sylvia lives they lost a transformer so I don't know if they have electric or not. She may be one of the 55,000 without.

Will check in later if I can

Anita
Hi all,
I'm just dashing though on a borrowed laptop computer. As Anita said, Oakwood has had major problems with transformers blowing up and trees falling on wires....so many, many people have no power including us. Fortunately, our neighbors across the street are going out of town tomorrow and have invited us to stay in their house until we get power back in our house. We were walking around with winter coats and hats and gloves because it was so cold in our house. So we took them up on their offer. Funny thing is they have power on their side of the street but none on our side or behind us.

We lost several really huge limbs from the trees in front and behind our house last night. I took pictures of them and will show you them when I am back on my own computer...one of these days.

Thanks for thinking of us. We are so much more comfortable now that we have lights and heat.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe.

Cherrieo to all,

Sylvia

Yorky
02-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Thank goodness you are OK Sylvia, that's good of the neighbours.

Keep warm, keep safe.

Doug

LynnM
02-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Glad you are OK, Sylvia, I have been thinking of you, and all the other people invloved in this weather system. It has been gently snowing here, the snowplow has cleared the parking lot, but I expect there will be lots more by tomorrow. We got the high winds last night, but not much snow down here, thank goodness. It is probably worse above our sheltered valley.

Thinking of those in Australia, too, sounds pretty awful!

It's been a painting day for me.....and paint and remove and paint again. I have to declare it done and get on with something else. Next is a beach scene from Florida, I'm dying for some sun and sand! Lucky you, Gail :envy:

Happy painting to you, Char!

(((Ona)))

You live dangerously, Darla, what a shame, but the holiday later will come in handy!

Hi Caryl, Geoff and everyone else I missed!

(((Carolynn))) you must be so anxious for them,:crossfingers:

Have a good, safe, rest of the day :clap:

Scene Chaser
02-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Good to hear you and larry are warm and safe, Sylvia.

Geoff, Incas and inks...:LOL:

It is still snowing here. We have well over a foot of it and no way will I get out for work tomorrow. If they don't call off school, I'll have to call in.

Bill

doppler
02-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Great to hear that everyone is safe in their own version of rotten weather.

Last night ... Yasi at Cat 5 crossed the coast south of Cairns so Cairns seems to have "dodged the bullet" ... so goes the phrase.... so a breath of relief for Carolyn and family. Towns south of Cairns were hammered especially where the eye crossed but no reports of loss of life and all the evacuation centres have held up. Townsville was still being belted with rain and wind and last I heard it was starting to abate. Initial reports are that Townsville has survived reasonably well too ... no power, phone or mobile coverage there apparently. I'm just trusting that my brother and family will be OK .

Yasi is proceeding inland now heading towards Mount Isa where it should in the next day or so be downgraded to a tropical low. She is still Cat 3. Alice Springs and the centre are likely to get immense rainfall out of this too.

Lenore, Greensyster is a lot further south ... further south than Rockhampton ... maybe some wind and rain but not cyclonic. :heart: She will be fine.

Here ... the weather is a bit showery but about normal.

Better get on with work :wave: ... see you all tonight

Yorky
02-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the report Annie.

Doug

Uschi
02-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Well, there was no more snow in the morning and then around lunch time the wind died down and it snowed great big flakes for close to two hours, still snowing a bit between bit of sun which is going down as I write and it is still COLD.

The city is trying to save money, the plow came by a couple of times but the roads are still very snowy, but again, nothing that we haven't lived with many times before.

I poodled around and then finally started painting another poppy painting, I am trying out different methods and with this one I actually painted the background first:eek: :lol: simply because I wasn't sure about it and I didn't want to spend all this time and effort on the flowers and then mess up the background. Turned out soso, I'll probably like it better once it sits there for a while.

Once I finish here I am cooking a pork Korma curry.

Sylvia, I (we) am so glad you managed to check in. :heart: those neighbours for taking you in and letting you stay in their home. Still, I hope the hydro comes back soonn!!!

Geoff, witty:thumbsup: :lol:

Ona, wonderful article :crossfingers: tightly that it brings you a few more portraits!

Annie, I just saw your post, what a relief that things seem to be reasonably safe considering the circumstances. Thanks for the report!!!!

re printers - I had an Epson, never again. If I didn't use the darn thing each and every day it kept klogging up. Spent endless ink money trying to get it going again. I have a Cannon now and am very happy with it, hasn't dried up on me once and there have been weeks when I didn't use it. Mind you, I finally had to replenish the ink (printing cards:rolleyes: ) and the refills cost me almost $ 100, having said that I have printed quite a bit since and the ink has barely moved.

Char, I am dying to see this painting!!

Now I am going to make you laugh - I have had a large bottle of water, a nice size bag of rice and dried beans plus a large can of oil in my basement, just in case something happens i.e. January 1, 2000, ice storm, mayan calendar etc.:lol: :lol: I followed my aunt's example, it's part of growing up during the war and it's called "baggage":lol: Oh, and I have Rita who has a working wood stove in the basement, that's because it is too far to drive to Gail's:lol:

Darla, I would have done exactly the same, no snow has ever stopped me from going where I want to go badly enough.

When I left one of my jobs, working with all men, they gave me a gripper, don't know what else to call it, as a going away present. It's an iron thing with teeth on it, you just lay it under the tires and no matter how stuck you are it always gets you out. Smart guys!!!!:heart:

I think I have said everything I need to say, so will :wave: to all I did not personally address and fill my house with curry smells:thumbsup: :D

Uschi

Lulu
02-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Great to hear that there was no loss of life in Queensland, and that new life arrived! An English midwife on holiday delivered the baby.:thumbsup: I heard on the news that the parents were definitely NOT calling the baby Yasi:lol:

Uschi, great present you were given! I am certain that I will never need a gripper here lol

Schools have started again in New Zealand after their long summer break (6-7 weeks).
Summer too is winding down, a comfortable 23C at the moment (12.30 pm) with drizzle.

Am currently cleaning out my art spaces - a bedroom for watercolours and dry media, and a semi-detached room (which I fancifully call my studio:lol:) for oils and acrylics.

Must go to the gym this afternoon and catch up with a friend who has just returned from a month in Australia (Perth).

Back to the cleaning.......

olliewood0702
02-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Here I sit at home. I didn't get a lunch hour today as we had no coverage for me so I just heated up my dinner and ate it at my desk. I got to leave at 4pm (an hour early). I visited my Chiropractor for an adjustment and then came right home. Not the best day so just glad to be home.

One more day and then off until Next Tuesday.:clap:

SO SO SO glad there was no loss of life from Yasi! Wonderful about the new birth.:thumbsup:

Sylvia, so sorry about your loss of power and that you have to go to your neighbor's house to stay. Do they have a generator? Glad you have great neighbors!

Most of ours are nice except ONE guy. He is an idiot....this morning he watched Larry shovel, snowblow and push trying to get me unstuck and do you think he'd come offer to help?? NOPE....what kind of human being does that??:confused: Larry is always helping someone in need; that's just what people do.

The girls and Jen were here when I got home from work. They were waiting for Matt to get done plowing. Matt has to go again and plow in the night.
The schools are closed again tomorrow....lucky kids! EXCEPT they'll have to make up these days I believe in June.

Take care everyone.:wave: :grouphug:

nola276
02-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Hi everyone, A huge relief. Queensland seems to have weathered the storm a hole lot better than they expected. There is a lot of damage to power lines, trees etc and a large number of people without power, but the storm surge they expected didn't affect many people and didn't occur in some places. There are a few smaller settlements that have been hit very badly, one in three houses without roofs etc. There doesn't seem to have been any loss of life at this stage, but there are areas they haven't been able to get into due to flooding, storm damaged trees etc and the weather is still too bad to fly in.

So from what we know at this stage, and considering the intensity of the storm, reasonably good news. Hope our American friends are doing as well.

Bill, you wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell of throwing me a snowball:lol::lol::lol:. Cheers, Nola.

WthrLady
02-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Uschi-we call those tiger claws and they work great!

MRSBB
02-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the report Annie. I am so glad to hear you all are safe. Bob and I are just opening up our bird hospital, LOL. We have a few hummingbirds that stick around all winter as we usually don't get this cold. Right now at 7:30 PM we are at 20oF and the wind is howling. I went to go outside on the back patio and there was a hummingbird hanging on our screen door.

Bob got the bird and we put it in a cracker box, I have put in a jar cap full of H/B food and it is now buzzing inside the box. I guess it was just so cold. I'm not sure if we should just keep it in the box all night or put it back out. It's just so cold, I think I will keep it inside tonight. Does anyone have a better plan?

H/B report to follow tomorrow............Stay safe everyone...........Lenore

laudesan
02-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Here is a link to photos (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/special-reports/gallery-fn7rxoal-1225999244037?page=1) of the town of Tully. A friend of mines Brother lives here..

Photos (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/special-reports/gallery-fn7rxoal-1225999540353?page=1) of Cardwell, the township was destroyed.

The sugar cane industry is reeling as they survey damaged and destroyed crops, and machinery.

Not good.

MRSBB
02-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Hi JJ. So glad to see you are ok. Lots of destruction from this storm, but have not heard of any loss of life. Probably will be when they can get to all the damaged areas. Looks like your country faired much better than our Katrina storm. Thank God you are safe, the rest is just stuff that can be replaced. My prayers are with all your countrymen............Lenore

Yorky
02-03-2011, 03:13 AM
Thank goodness no one was killed.

I just don't know how people cope with destruction on that scale.

Doug

laudesan
02-03-2011, 05:19 AM
Doug there are two people missing and there are places that haven't been checked yet, because they are impossible to get to right now. But I do pray that those folks are found and the loss of life stays that way.

The banana and sugar industry have taken a dreadful dreadful beating. :-((

Folks up there are hardy, they live with cyclones, and they seem to cope. Human nature is like that, when the going gets tuff - the tuff get going ............. There is a wonderful spirit here, everyone helps everyone else in an emergency.