PDA

View Full Version : Art Journals Discussions - Feb 2011

eyepaint
02-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Happy Shortest-Month-of-the-Year!

Here's a link to the January (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833552)discussions thread.

Check out our Feb challenge! (link to come...)

Cheers,

Carole A
02-01-2011, 11:10 PM
I hope to get back to my Back to Basics sketchbook. I want to work my way through Wendy Hollender's book, Botanical Drawing in Color. For those of you who make your own sketchbooks, she makes hers up with alternating pages of Strathmore 400 series drawing paper and Fabriano Artistico 140 lb hot press watercolor paper, using the Strathmore for her notes and graphite sketches, and the watercolor paper for her colored pencil illustrations. I really love this idea and think that I will modify my comb binding book in this fashion.

Carole A

vhere
02-02-2011, 05:20 AM
I'm going to get on with more local landscapes

CandAlArt
02-02-2011, 12:26 PM
I FINally learned how to upload! :clap: Hubby & I, using his computer for the Photoshop stuff, plowed thru all the how-to pages. Then I found the files ok on my computer (they are networked. I think I am going to like this! Been on WC since last summer and it has taken awhile to get it together!

Now I have to think thru what I want to post & where! I may limit myself to uploading only once a week to not fray DH's nerves or patience. So please visit my Portrait Journal. I hope to do a Feb journal as well. First must eat the chocolate (research) :lol:

poochemio
02-02-2011, 01:34 PM
I plan on working through some of my cache of drawing books, so I'm going to be using a 9x12 Canson sketchbook that I did some exercises from Ruskin in last month. I may do some watercolors as well in my moleskine book or in one of the Strathmore mixed media books, the midsize I think. Then there is the no name purse sketchbook, still not filled. Of course there's the 8 or 9 pages left in the large Pentalic from last month. My need to do sketches on both sides makes it very hard to fill 100 pages in a big book! I think after this month I'm going back to a handbound book that will fit in my purse, then it's all in one and a bit lighter to transport.

I may be out of power later today, Dallas is sucking so much power, with the cold and the super bowl, that they want to ration power to the rest of the state. So sports fans as you enjoy all the superbowl, hub bub, imagine me shivering in the cold! At least I can still use a pencil!!!

CandAlArt
02-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Margo- Wow, not a good weather-week to ration out the power in TX! Think Renaissance: light a candle and create great art.... Or shiver and create abstract art.:lol:

poochemio
02-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Saved! They discovered what was wrong at two of the power stations, so now the Super Bowl can go on and I can still have power. Don't get me wrong I don't begrudge power to the millions living in Dallas, I did begrudge my pipes bursting without the heat so a bunch of people can watch a game. I did have my candles at the ready and a little less Renaissance with a flashlight in every room.

DrDebby
02-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Margo, power outages are why I have a wood stove and lanterns. I guess in TX you wouldn't necessarily have a wood stove. Got a fireplace?

Jakesgram
02-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Hi all! I'm going to try to stop in more regularly to the discussion thread. Seems I get so scattered with all that I have going on, I have trouble committing to being a "regular." But I love this journal forum so much!

Candace - I like the idea of starting the Feb. journal with chocolate "research!" Hmmm - I'm cold - maybe I'll start with a nice steamy hot chocolate (and snap a photo first, of course) :lol:

Margo, you're having horrible weather to even contemplate a power outage! I live in California now, but grew up in the midwest and remember many-a-blizzard, power outage, ice storm, etc. Don't envy all you "easterners" at all!

virgo68
02-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Hi everyone! Been on vacation and busy with a commission (x-posted to Watermedia forum):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2011/139618-Relle_and_Phil.jpg

Client seemed happy, it is for a Valentine's gift so the pressure was on to get it mostly done before vacation! Now I can relax and get into something new but can't seem to get focussed!

I took my sketchbook away with me and tried one landscape sketch - disaster! I tried to draw a couple of botanical sketches of leaves and flowers but my heart wasn't in it - I was too laid back.

I hope to get back into commenting on the wonderful work that is being done as soon as I get some motivation back :D

seejay
02-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Jackie, it sounds like you had a nice relaxing holiday (hope you missed the rain).

Great job with the commission, looks nice, very imaginative.

eyepaint
02-03-2011, 12:52 AM
Carole - sounds like a plan

Viv - you too

Candace - congrats!!! Mmmm first eat chocolate - great plan.

Margo - wonderful plan. Flashlight is definitely not Renaissance :)

Jean - good to see you :)

virgo/Jackie - this is stunning!

Chris - hello :)

poochemio
02-03-2011, 12:58 AM
Nope no wood stove, it's not usually that cold here, I was wearing sandals with a skirt and short sleeve tee shirt 2 days ago. I do have a fireplace, it is going as I write, which is good cause we may have more roving outages tomorrow.

Cool painting Jackie. Don't worry you'll get your mojo back, it just thinks you and it are still on vacation!

DrDebby
02-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Jackie thanks for showing us this lovely painting. You'll get back to art in no time. We all go through slumps in creativity.

virgo68
02-04-2011, 11:32 PM
:lol: Margo, my mojo makes a habit of disappearing off goodness knows where...... :wink2:

Seejay, Debbie and EP, thanks a bunch! The client is happy, so I'm happy! Commissions worry the pants off me, I get so nervous about showing the final product :eek:

I sat with a sketchbook in front of me the other night and........ nothing! It is so frustrating when you have some ideas in your mind but no idea about how to get them started. The "White Page Syndrome" has hit :D

virgo68
02-04-2011, 11:33 PM
PS Chris - Tasmania was perfect - low to mid 20's for 11 days. Back to Adelaide heat now though :eek:

CandAlArt
02-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Jackie what a neat portrait with the birds and flowers and everything! Wow! What a unique piece of art for those people to enjoy. ...Tasmania, well what a cool place to vacation! I think it is over 24 hrs. to fly there from the US. Where else do folks in Oz go for vacations (in much less than 24 hours, that is)? Don't try New Guinea, I hear they have you over for dinner....:eek:

virgo68
02-05-2011, 12:33 AM
Candace, a lot of people holiday within Australia (it is such a country of contrasts that you can experience the opposite of where you live just by visiting another part of the country) or in Asia - Singapore, Bali, Phuket, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam etc because that is the closest to us. To travel to the US, Europe or other countries is very expensive and uses up a big chunk of your vacation time. I came over to the US (Colorado, Vegas, LA) last year and the travel time was well worth it ;)

Thanks for the compliment on my painting :)

poochemio
02-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Jackie I was looking at your painting again. You do such fabulous wings and hair! Too of my current fixations (for over a year now!). The whole painting is fab but I keep getting drawn back to those features to study a bit.

DrDebby
02-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Jackie, since the blank white page is bothering you, color it with a wash of watercolors. Or collage a page from a book with just text like Ed did and draw on that. Or try the zentangle thing, just shapes and patterns. Once the hand starts moving thing will start happening on the page. :)

poochemio
02-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Jackie, I think Debby has the plan.

virgo68
02-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks ladies, all great ideas, that I will try out I think! I have done something - posted it as Jackie's February Challenge - inspiration was provided by a glass of wine or two and some good music last night :lol:

Hubby and son were having a sportsfest watching TV so I retreated to my "studio" (a la spare room ;) ) with wine in hand, played some music and just sketched. It is not a masterpiece but it is a start!

Wondering what other art journallers do when they hit a "dry spell" to get the creative juices flowing again........ ;)

poochemio
02-06-2011, 01:23 PM
When I hit the dreaded dry spell, I either try something wildly different I see on youtube, or I take my sketchbook out somewhere different and sketch, do scavenger hunt sketches with perhaps a different medium. When all else fails there is a tree I see off of my deck and I sketch it. It has been done in every medium I have, it doesn't move or complain about how I do it. I've been sketching that tree since I first started doing visual art. It is comfortable to keep doing it and it is also fun to go back and see how my sketching has grown and how varied my mark making has become. One other trick is to do urban graffiti style backgrounds in either an art journal or on watercolor paper. Playing with lots of acrylics, and as much color as I can throw at it seems to help break me out of my doldrums. I've been in them myself of late and that is precisely what I'm going to do today, play graffiti artist. It really is fun, and then when the mood strikes you can either paint an image over the top or collage your heart out and then add more paint or graphite or...skies the limit on this one.

CandAlArt
02-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Dry spells... I draw this mysterious woman's face over & over. I say that because each pose looks like the same person, possibly me because my face is the one I know best (much YOUNGER in the sketches, :lol: !) Also abstract landscape shapes with colored pencils or OP, nocturnes with big moons. Sometimes those nowhere scribbles suddenly look kinda cool. Also I have a small teddybear on my desk. When in doubt I sketch that- like Margo's tree- in all kinds of media. And last but not least, Dutchess, my dog, as she sleeps on the floor nearby.

seejay
02-11-2011, 04:10 AM
Jackie was Wondering what other art journallers do when they hit a "dry spell" to get the creative juices flowing again..

Well I've been a bit slack on the sketchbook front lately, but I have been:

a) making notes about facial features from a number of different books; Tuesday was eyes, Wed was noses, yesterday (and probably a little more tonight) is mouths. Maybe I'm getting in the mood to draw some more heads?

b) drawing circles, ellipses, cylinders, boxes, spheres, straight lines, curved lines - perspective, shading etc....practising some basic drawing skills.

c) doing maintenance on my easels, maybe I will do some paintings? I think that would be good for a change.

d) reading / studying some of my old art books, mainly 'Drawing Lessons from the Great Masters' by Robert Beverly Hale.

And I did manage a little bit of sketching, I'll go update some threads...

Cheers

seejay
02-11-2011, 05:00 AM
I've managed catching up with some threads, I'll get back to the rest soon. It's nice to see you have all been busier in your books than me!:D

CandAlArt
02-11-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm with Chris on art books as a good "dry spell" activity. And catalogs of art supplies, haha. Pissaro & Dick Blick, what a motivation combination!

poochemio
02-11-2011, 07:32 PM
HELP!!!! I've finally about finished the purse sketchbook I've been carrying around forever and the huge Pentalic, and now I can't decide which to start next. So help me out gang.

I have...drumroll please
Daler Rowney Cachet with brown paper (this is at the top of the list as I'm so enamored of Chris's sketches on his grey book and how it adds another dimension

Visual Art Journals have watercolor, drawing and mixed media

RAffine Sketchbook

This is a real dilemma, I mean really! I was going to bind a new book but I haven't yet and I refuse to put the sketching on hold until I do, so thoughts please.

On another note. I have become extremely bold with my sketching in public, for a rather shy person this is huge. In the process I have met the most amazing people, who just come over and want to look. We met an elderly lady at lunch today who was intrigued with my sketching and then told me her father was an artist in Taos from the 40's to the 60's and she has this huge collection of paintings she wants to sell or donate or something. Would I like to come and look at them. Hysterical thing was we were just talking about my friends gallery in Santa Fe. I'm pretty stoked to go see the collection, she says he also had lots of Indian paintings which is one of my huge loves, especially works from that time period. So you just never know what may come your way cause you were brave enough to sketch openly in public. And you know what else, nothing bad has ever occurred, not sure now why it took me so long to get brave. So if any of you haven't started sketching when out and about please do it is so fun.

Other news I finally figured out how to resize my photos to post my work. So I shall start shooting some photos and posting. Woohoo, bigger deal to me than you guys I'm sure.

DrDebby
02-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Go with the brown paper. But, get on binding your own book soon. Then there will be no further question on which book to use, Margo.

Ooh, how fun to go see a private collection.

seejay
02-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Margo said help me out gang.

So many choices - I am not familiar with any of the books you mention (very limited range around here!), but I was trying to get my hands on one of the Cachet brown paper sketchbooks a while back, so I vote for that one. :D No surprise there???? And as Debby said, bind that book as well.

The collection sounds like it could be a real treasure, have fun checking it out.

And I am looking forward to seeing your work, especially in that brown paper book!:D

Cheers

poochemio
02-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Okay Cachet wins. Then to refilling a very cool book that I got on the dollar rack that looks like tooled leather, couldn't walk past that one, it's rather large so I may do like EP does and section the pages off into squares. Now that the pressure is off I will probably get on a binding spree, colored papers and watercolor paper mixed sounds fun. Who knows maybe I'll even get past the dreary weather funk with something new to play in!

CandAlArt
02-12-2011, 01:08 AM
Margo I love the funny things we have in common! First, you are not the only late bloomer to sizing/posting. DH does the hard stuff but at least I learned how to upload the files he makes. Low tech Nelly here in comparison to the rest of WC!!! Second, I love knowing someone else who obsesses over WHICH sketchbook to use.:lol: I am amidst that too, thinking I "should" focus on just a few, rather than dabbling in a dozen different makes & models of paper. My most recent conclusion is that I prefer soft whites (sad because I love Canson Mix Media & it is bright white). I also really like the browns of all shades so I vote that for you too. I made a sketchbook just today out of several beige/brown shades of charcoal paper, cardboard covers from yogurt box inserts and binder rings. What a pro...:D I will continue to enjoy all my papers but I just have to remember to keep them organized... a bit... now where is that drawing from yesterday...:confused:

Jakesgram
02-12-2011, 01:21 AM
Hi everyone!

It's been a really busy week. Had my 4yo grandson over last weekend and then spent most of the week helping out with all 3 grandsons. Their mommy (my dd) had lithotripsy (laser) to break up a very large kidney stone and she did not bounce back as quickly as we had hoped. She's doing well now but I spent most of today trying to recover from my sweet little rascals.

My studio has been torn up for a couple of weeks as I managed to put a screw into the upstairs drain pipe when I was putting up some book shelves. The drywall got soaked and warped and had to be replaced. Now I'm waiting for the painter to come next week, so everything has been in a mess for a while. (what I hate most is that it was self-inflicted! :lol: )

I've had limited time for artwork, but have finally finished my final large mixed media piece from the January Strathmore Visual Journal Workshop. I need to take a photo of it - hopefully tomorrow morning, before I can post it. I've also been doing some random plein air sketches and a few things from some past due WDE's. At least I've been able to keep my hand in the art world a bit.

Jackie - sorry you got into the doldrums, but it sounds like you got a lot of good ideas for breaking through. I seldom have that specific problem, but am more likely to get stopped by "well, I don't have enough time to do anything meaningful now, so I'll wait till I have more time all together." I try hard to force myself to use those 10 and 15 minutes here and there, but that particular delaying tactic is one of my biggest downfalls!

Margo - I didn't vote, but I'm also glad you chose the craft paper journal. I have one that I love. Don't use it very much because most of my sketching is on the run these days and it's too bit to carry around. But it is a lot of fun when I do use it. Also, if you have not seen it, you should check out Jamie's thread that she was posting when this forum first started: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619182 I have always admired the beautiful little acrylic works she did on the craft paper!

Still lots of great work happening in this forum. This is a fun place to hang out!

ocmd123
02-12-2011, 07:18 AM
Hey all, I spotted this Journal Bandolier (http://www.etsy.com/listing/64583484/journal-bandolier-navy-grid) on Etsy and thought it was a pretty handy idea, so I'm passing it along.

poochemio
02-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Elaine, what a clever idea that is!

Jean, my Cachet sketchbook, just fits in the current purse. I decided to use a Strathmore visual art journal as well, the wee small one. That will fit in my smallest purse along with a miniature watercolor set I made using a child's set that I soaked the paints out of. This way with two I'm not so limited to what medium I can use. That said I have gotten pretty wild using ink washes and some watercolors in the no name sketchbook I've had in my purse since September. The pages do cockle but flatten back out with time. I have seen Jamie's sketchbook and it's wonderful, I had to resist ordering her newest book as I have promised myself to start using some of my huge stash first. I also have a great pile of paper crying to be bound into books. I figured if I just started on one of my current sketchbooks then I'd have plenty of time to bind more.

Candace, yes the technology issue, if it goes smoothly I'm okay and I frequently figure things out for myself but the minute frustration steps in I shut down. Fortunately my guy has run his business totally on computers for years and he has learned many things I never needed to know! Yippee. I need to go take my classes at mac that I paid for when I bought my laptop and I'd be a whole lot better off. I even have the new photo software, but clueless there too! So if I can just motivate myself down that path perhaps I will post some pictures today. However...the sun is shining and it hasn't been for some time, so I may just have to go outside and play with my paints, we shall see!

vhere
02-12-2011, 12:48 PM
and on a different scale :) moleskine now do A3 sketchbooks :)

poochemio
02-12-2011, 04:10 PM
My last written journal was that size. It took forever to finish that one, I was amazed that it held up to the end actually. Which color wrapper does the heavy paper sketchbook have? After the sketchbook project I could happily go with never touching that lightweight paper ever again! Viv is that the book your really cool tall cp sketch is in?

virgo68
02-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Way to go with sketching in public Margo! That is a great accomplishment. Hopefully it will become more and more comfortable and eventually you will "tune out" to what is going on around you because you are so "tuned in" to your sketching ;)

Hope everyone is well, trying to look in whenever I can (even if I don't always comment) - got a lot of "paid" work on at the moment and limited time for art and surfing wet canvas :eek:

DrDebby
02-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Margo, we want to see what you do in the new sketch book on the brown paper.

poochemio
02-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Jackie, paid work is good!!! Use your spare time for art, surfing eats it up fast.

Debby, as soon as I start I will post, promise. Last few pages in my generic book still to go, who knows I may even post some of them, though they tend to be very rough and more to just keep my pen moving. I think now that my table that I do my binding on is clear, I'm going to refill a couple of hardback books to just have in reserve. I'm going to shoot for having them be able to lay flat like a moleskine, but with the paper I want to play with. So send me some good binding mojo Debby.

DrDebby
02-12-2011, 08:56 PM
The secret to getting the moleskine type book to lay flat is to glue a piece of stiff cloth to the paper after it's stitched, leaving a pair of "wings" that will be glued between the bookboard and the end paper. Then the cover has to have a "soft" spine. Moleskine uses the faux leather. I used book cloth and it seems to work just fine. There isn't an icon for good mojo. Think we should fix that?

CandAlArt
02-12-2011, 11:58 PM
Laffing about us all seeking more time for art... There is a cool website called Skineart.com that posts all sorts of great Moleskine works. One artist had a page last week or so that cracked me up. It was just a graphic with the words, " Perhaps I should...stop staring at art on the internet and create some of my own" :lol: (Screen name is Big Gay Dragon, her work is quite interesting.) I commented that she had read my mind!! Love surfing the WC and then I feel guilty about less sketch time.
But I reorganized/cleaned up my art zone, decided on some sketchbook changes, & am reinvigorated! Gonna go draw something tonight!:clap:

vhere
02-13-2011, 05:24 AM
Margo no, the cp sketch is in an A4 moleskine - about 11.5 inches tall - the A3 is double that :>) I want one but really really don't need another sketchbook at the moment - willpower, willpower .......

I may end up buying one! my willpower is poor :)

poochemio
02-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Debby, I think a good mojo icon would be a fabulous idea! What would it be? There is the question. Thanks for the heads up on the lay flat trick, that is what I thought it was. I was nominally successful on the last refilled journal, I added to many signatures though, shan't make that mistake again.:o

Viv, willpower, I think I used to have some of that somewhere. Then again it may just have been I mistook willpower for lack of spending power when the children were still at home.:wink2:

Candace good for you. Sometimes we need to have a different approach or we grow complacent and bored. I have discovered if I choose a journal with too many pages I start to grow weary of working in it and want a new one. I have been finishing them tho since October. I now realize that maybe doing art on both sides of the page of a 100 page journal is a tall order. Having been raised by a grandmother who endured the Great Depression I just can't bring myself to do it any other way tho. So shorter journals methinks is the answer for me. Then I can go play in one with different paper.:D

CandAlArt
02-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Willpower! No! Go immediately to Art Supply Addicts thread and confess you want willpower. We will cure you of that. Life is short, buy the sketchbook.:thumbsup:

Margo- Exactly! The big books are cool but I like the feeling of filling up/accomplishing the shorter ones- just as you said. I don't use both side all the time, just if it is non smudge media like ink, or just playing around where I don't care if it smudges a little. If I flip a left-page to the back (spirals) then it can get goo on the work surface. But I too had a grandmother so I get where you are coming from. Another thing is I am tiring of lugging the heavier books around, especially in a shoulder tote. Ow. So I am going to switch to 24 page Strathmores in purse size (6x8), and larger ones (8x10 to 11x14) depending on purpose. See how that works out. At my desk to write art-journally-notes, do color tests, muse or scribble around I love the 5.5x8.5 Strath with 100 pages. The ideal small for me, and since I generally only use it at home the weight is fine. My colored paper just has to be used at random & stored in a binder or portfolio.

poochemio
02-13-2011, 05:39 PM
You know Candace I think you are onto something with the 24 page Strathmores. Nice and light for the purse,sometimes my back and shoulder just aren't up to the weight! We are talking the drawing books I assume, which have very nice paper too. I was actually looking at one earlier, I did 2 watercolor pencil sketches in it last year otherwise empty. Oh now I've talked myself into yet another sketchbook! Okay I give myself permission to use more than one this month. Who needs a bunch of stinking rules anyway! See what you have started Candace?:evil:

vhere
02-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Margo and Candace I shall blame you .......... I mislaid my willpower entirely and ordered the A3 moleskine :wink2:

It was on offer on Amazon ...... how could I resist?

I've got about a dozen - no more than that, sketchbooks on the go so I never worry about finishing them quickly - I like LOTS of pages!

One I keep for just Cornwall, others are for the waterways project and others are for anything and everything - but different sizes, different papers - and I just work in the appropriate one. Some are finished fast and others linger on for a long time, but keep a theme together.

CandAlArt
02-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Margo, Yes the Strath 400 Drawing, 24 page spiral. Great off white & takes light wash just fine. I prefer the soft whites. If you want a harder cover just glue in a thin sheet of cardboard under the original cover. Works fine. I keep them closed when needed, with bands or ties.

Vivien, Hooray for losing yourself to the moment and getting the A3 on sale! :wave: Yes I have some several extras- bought when I could get them down to 50% at work. Have a great stash of papers so organization is needed to not get boggled into doing nothing at all. Vivien I like your idea on having some themed books, locations or projects. Last week I had a time finding the originals again from the 2 dozen photos DH took and prepared for the computer files, from at least 6 books! Sure glad I at least dated them on the page bottom! Tho' I may still have multiple books, some work would be better grouped- I want to sharpen anatomy/facial features skills. I'd also like to learn birds, other animals. Those would be best in their own books, so I can see progress (hopefully).

DrDebby
02-13-2011, 07:12 PM
It's not willpower. It's won't power. :lol: And the only reason I have any is budgetary reasons. Hence I probably won't see any new art supplies until my birthday and maybe not even then. :rolleyes: It's a good thing I am happy with my paper and pencils for drawing.

Sounds like a plan Candace.

Vivien, enjoy your new sketchbook.

Margo, you have permission to work in multiple sketchbooks at a time. :thumbsup:

poochemio
02-14-2011, 12:13 AM
Woohoo, permission accepted! I'm not sure but what multiples would be more pleasing than to be stuck with the same paper for what seems to be an eternity. I have been doing all the sketching along with whatever drawing book I've been studying in a nice large Canson Sketchbook I have at least given myself permission to sketch on only one side in that, so there is progress!!!

Viv good for you and I want you to know this is not the first time I have been accused of being an influence! Sometimes good sometimes maybe not. Enjoy it and let us know if it is just perfect or too big or no where near big enough.

Art is just going to have to miss me for the rest of the night, my book calleth out to me! It's about the 13th century so I'm allowed the arcane words. teehee

seejay
02-14-2011, 02:29 AM
I couldn't help myself, I bought two more sketchbooks this morning. One is a small Strathmore Visual Journal, which should be good for wcs, ONCE i finish my handmade watercolour book!!!!!!!

Looks like I had better admit it, I am a sketchbook addict. :D

Cheers

vhere
02-14-2011, 03:03 AM
:)

I usually work on one side unless a drawing spreads across to the facing page,

If I really like something, I put a big pencil cross on the reverse side to make sure I don't work on it and risk spoiling it.

I often stick things in on the reverse sides that I want keeping with that sketchbook - computer prints of experiments like the one earlier for instance.

Go for it with the multiple books - and take the pressure off finishing any particular book :) variety of paper and size and medium keeps it all fresh.

poochemio
02-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks Viv. I think I will. I got very into finishing a sketchbook a month, which was a good thing for me at the time, but I am starting to get a wee bit bored with same old same old. Fresh, yep that's just what I need. I have been wondering if other people sketch on both sides or not.

Chris how small was the Strathmore? I got all 3 sizes but a mini watercolor that I thought perfect for purse or even pocket. I've been wanting to do atc's thought I might help me get in small mode. Sketchbook addict, yep that probably describes the majority of us. Not such a bad thing in the realm of addictions though I'd say, at least it is a productive and enjoyable habit.

seejay
02-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Margo, I bought the 5.5 x 8 inch / 14 x 20.3 cm one, the only size the store has in stock. I've heard about the book, thought I would try it. Not a lot of choice in sketchbooks around here, so if I see something different that may be useful I grab it.

I'm certainly enjoying myself, but I need to do some work on the productive part.:cat:

Cheers

poochemio
02-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Chris, it's all good! You and me both on the productive end. There is a smaller size 3.5x5. I got a couple of those too, one I'm going to do a daily self portrait in for a warm up, in whatever medium I'm choosing to play with that day, it is a mixed media. Also got a watercolor for my purse. One of these days I'll get really productive and start stitching some of the books in various stages of done and then...who knows what then!:evil:

CandAlArt
02-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Go for it with the multiple books - and take the pressure off finishing any particular book :) variety of paper and size and medium keeps it all fresh.

Good advice! I got my lightweight 6x8 Strath' 400 Drawing (24 sheets) today and the purse is already smiling, not to mention my shoulder. :lol:

Carole A
02-14-2011, 10:16 PM
Good advice! I got my lightweight 6x8 Strath' 400 Drawing (24 sheets) today and the purse is already smiling, not to mention my shoulder. :lol:
Candace ~ I'm working on botanical lessons from library books. One of them by Wendy Hollender suggests 400 series strathmore, alternating with 140 lb HP in a sketchbook. I got the 9-12, cutting it down to 8.5 x 11, although I do now wish that I would've picked up a 6x8 as well, for traveling.

Although I'm well aware that there are a multitude of supplies left in the store, I'm also aware that I have all that I need to make sketches, and to make some finished work; I just have to hunker down and actually do something.

Carole A

poochemio
02-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Carole, good point! That is probably true for all of us. The travel sketch is very useful if you draw when you are out and about on a regular basis, if not, why burden your shoulder with excess stuff in your purse.

DrDebby
02-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Great discussion on paper types and styles of working. And, of course acquisitions of sketchbooks. :evil:

poochemio
02-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Hey Debby what have you been up to?

I spent a fairly non productive day, slept till noon, a front blew some sort of crud in last night and my allergies went utterly berserk. I did a few scavenger hunt sketches played with the dog and gave myself and mani & pedi. Eek you'd think someone used to flinging paint would do her nails occasionally.

cyrilla
02-15-2011, 11:46 PM
wow i like that is sooo colorful

DrDebby
02-16-2011, 12:41 AM
Not much worth talking about Margo.

poochemio
02-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Hmm...Debby I so get you!

I had a wonderful surprise in my mailbox yesterday. My online friend Gaye sent me the most wonderful journal. She recycled all sorts of cardboard and vintage papers and ephemera including all manner of things she knows I love into the most amazing book, lots of paint and funny sayings and plenty of room left for me to journal my thoughts. She spent untold hours on this luscious over the top piece. Even glued in a number of her very fabulous zens. I don't know when I felt so honored and special! Now I just need to come up with some words worthy of placing within its covers.

I finally finished the purse sketchbook last night. As it was generic and had no info about it I counted the pages, 230! It's been traveling around with me since August. Lovely to see the progress made in that time. Now I am prepared to start and post the next one. Woohoo!

seejay
02-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Margo - Lucky you, sounds like a great gift.

I may be AWOL for a few days, but if I get a chance I'll drop in to make sure everyone is working hard! :D Feel free to talk about me, my ears won't burn (much)! Happy journaling.

DrDebby
02-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Sounds awesome Margo. Have fun.

poochemio
02-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Pen and ink question? What is your favorite ink for your fountain pen and why. Both waterproof and non waterproof. I think it may be time to add some new ink into my mix. I currently use Levengers inks, have 12 and they are fun, non waterproof inks. I like them for writing and are fun for ink washes but they do not work so well in the fine or extra fine nibs. Most of my fountain pens are Lamy Safari's but I have a few of the more upscale pens as well. YES I'm a fountain pen nerd! I have been since the third grade.

DrDebby
02-22-2011, 11:08 PM
I'm not an ink expert. I'm using Pelikan cartridges in my Rotring fountain pen. They come in 6 colors and work with the fine nib. Not really much help. I got a decent deal on them and free shipping. I go through about a cartridge a week so I needed an economical solution. Some day, I'd love to have the full converter and a choice of inks to play with. But, I mostly use my single fountain pen for writing, not drawing.

CandAlArt
02-23-2011, 12:03 AM
YES I'm a fountain pen nerd! I have been since the third grade.

Oh, that took me back! I think I was 4th or 5th grade when I discovered what we called cartridge pens. It was the coolest thing for pen & penmanship nerds!... Hadn't used one in years and just a couple weeks ago decided to try a Varsity disposible fountain pen and it does bring back memories! Happy inking!

DrDebby
02-24-2011, 09:32 PM
We're almost to the end of February. (Hard to believe, I know.) Any ideas for a challenge? The roses and chocolate got little response. (I am as guilty of not doing as anybody. :o) Do we need something more challenging? Or do we need a no challenge month?

vhere
02-25-2011, 06:24 AM
I've just set a challenge on my blog for people to look at still life in an unconventional way and play

I'd love anyone here to add links to their work if they have blogs and would anyone fancy doing that as a challenge (I don't mind if it doesn't appeal to anyone :) )

CandAlArt
02-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Debby, I intended to do the challenge here and at the OP challenge thread and accomplished neither! February saw a lot of us on WC sidetracked with daily junk, snow shoveling, colds. A challenge is always good even if just a few join in- gives fresh inspiration at home even if not uploaded. Viv's unconventional ?? still life idea sounds interesting. My messy desk inspires a number of unconventional still lifes when I sketch!

vhere
02-25-2011, 11:54 AM
:>D mine is like that too!

DrDebby
02-25-2011, 08:21 PM
That is actually a cool idea Vivien. As would a draw your desk as it is right now challenge (no cleaning before hand. :lol:).

poochemio
02-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Viv's idea sounds great, as does Candaces variation of it. My desk looks sort of okay right now, by the end of the day probably not so much so!

CandAlArt
02-26-2011, 11:01 PM
How about this for a slightly broader range- our homes/workplaces are full of tabletops, ledges, bookcase shelves and countertops with still life arrangements in place, or just flat debris! :eek:

Call it "accidental still life.":lol:

vhere
02-27-2011, 02:50 AM
sounds good

poochemio
02-27-2011, 11:13 AM
"Accidental still life", I like that idea Candace, there are quite a few of those going at this point in my house! That may just deserve a sketchbook all it's own.

eyepaint
02-27-2011, 11:15 AM
... or just flat debris! :eek:

... or flat (and dusty in my case??!!) debris!

RainySea
02-27-2011, 11:52 AM
hello . . . I have a suggestion and not sure where to put it. Seems that many of us here are sorta sketchbook/journal collectors or if not, at least are always looking for a good sketchbook to replace one we finished.

So I'm wondering if there could be a sticky thread for Sketchbook Reviews or Sketchbook Ratings or something like that where folks who have used a particular sketchbook could post about how they like it, for what mediums, stuff like that. I've been trying out different things in various of the sketchbooks I have and have found that the paper in the various books really makes a huge difference as to what you have fun with in them and that even some that say they are good for certain mediums are not really so great as others that don't say they are good for that! (Hm. . . did that make sense?)

Anyway. . . Debby? everyone? What do you think?

CandAlArt
02-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Rainy, Yes indeed!:clap: Great idea. I really enjoy the Addicts thread but it encompasses everything. One has to poke about to find just paper or etc. They have an old pen preference thread in another forum that is great- tho already old, still there to view. This kind of thread is so helpful (and feeds our addiction to art supplies). I would LOVE a sketchbook thread/sticky, or book + art paper in general if we concoct our own books from sheets. Vote yes on this everyone!:wave:

vhere
02-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Rainy that's a really good idea

so I vote YES :)

DrDebby
02-27-2011, 06:04 PM
A sketchbook review thread would be great. Only EP can make a sticky, but, I'll start one. It can be stickied later.

I'll also start the challenge thread day after tomorrow and we'll call it "Accidental still life" challenge. Sounds like fun.

poochemio
02-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Fun ideas all.

CandAlArt
02-27-2011, 11:14 PM
yippee!

RainySea
02-27-2011, 11:21 PM
I missed the stuff on pen and ink!!! I am just ordered my first fountain pen (a Lamy Safari) but it didn't arrive yet. I have been playing with my dip pen and various other pens but have NEVER tried a fountain pen. Can't wait til it arrives.

Thanks for the sketchbook review thread!!!! I will post some this week of the ones I have tried.

seejay
02-28-2011, 04:46 AM
Hi all, I'm just trying to catch up a bit with the forum. Looks like everyone has been busy and having fun. Hopefully I'll get to have a closer look at your posts soon.

I think the accidental still life (aka found still life???) idea sounds good, I have plenty of messy corners to occupy myself for a month (and I won't have to clean them up until I'm done, right???:D)

See you next month.

poochemio
02-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Oohh Rainy you will love your Lamy. I bought my first at least 15 years ago and it has acquired many friends in the meantime.

Joan T
03-02-2011, 01:07 PM
You guys are comin' up with some fun ideas. I'll have to start looking for some accidental still lifes around my apt.