PDA

View Full Version : Need Help For States!

SpikeCrayon04
02-09-2003, 08:18 AM
Hello Everyone!
Yesterday I competed in district latin competition and placed 3rd in classical art. High Enoguh to advance to the the florida latin finals. However im going to need much more experience with my pastels to do well. So if you know of any good resources they would be appreciated greatly:)

doe
02-09-2003, 08:51 AM
:confused: What kind of resources are you looking for?

SpikeCrayon04
02-10-2003, 06:02 AM
Well i went to my local liobrary and didnt find one book on pastels. so what books are good?

sweetiness
02-10-2003, 06:36 AM
Congratulations!
Some books that I have found very helpfull are Harley Browns Eternal Truths for Every Artist, Leslie B. Demille's Pastel book from the Walter Foster publishing series, and even though it is not an instruction book, I also like the 'Best of Pastel' by Constance Flavell Pratt. I have used it to study the work of other pastellists, paying attention to their various uses of color, strokes, value and composition. It is full of some very beautiful pastel paintings from at least 100 different artists.
good luck!:D

sweetiness
02-10-2003, 06:37 AM
By the way, Barnes and Noble book store has a ton of books on pastels.

doe
02-10-2003, 07:49 AM
Oh! I love books, the Harley Brown book is good, then there's the old favorite, "Pastels" by Daniel Greene, a good basic book, there is a book call Painting believable Skintones, by Chris Saper, a great landscape book "Painting the Landscape in Pastel" by Albert Handell & Anita M West.

Does your library have a website where you can search their system and order books from other libraries?

Redsy333
02-10-2003, 09:23 AM
Congrads on your finals!
You have one of the best resources right under your nose:D HERE!! lol Just check out the Work In Progress threads for tips and techniques, and there are heaps of instructional threads here to help you. Just go to the article section to find heaps of information on pastels and even basic tips that apply to every medium. There are several articles that are from Artist within WC who have published books.
:D:D:D
Also check out individual sticky threads, they have tons of links and tips!
Good luck on your next step to finals;)

jackiesimmonds
02-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Why not look out for some of the older Masters in pastels too? Degas worked with pastels A LOT, so did Mary Cassat, Toulouse Lautrec, and Berthe Morisot. All of them SHOULD be in the library somewhere, and you should find lots about them. All of them used techniques which can still be seen in present-day-artists' work. I have a couple of Degas books at home, and they go into quite a bit of detail about how he worked with pastels. I also have a book on the painting methods of the Impressionists, and there is a chapter all about Degas' pastel work in that.

The internet is an excellent resource too. Just put "pastels" into a search engine, that should keep you busy for quite a while!!

Jackie

SpikeCrayon04
02-10-2003, 03:23 PM
Thank you all for your valuable input. If anyone who lives in florida gets a chance states will be in orlando on march 27,28,29.
Ill keep you guys posted on my progress and the results.