PDA

View Full Version : Johannes- Student Discussion Forum Week 2

Johannes Instructor
01-31-2011, 02:28 PM
Please use this for chatting with each other and with me.

Johannes Instructor
01-31-2011, 02:32 PM
OK all! To make it easier I have created a universal access code to enter the web class on Saturday and Sunday from 3 to 5 PM EST from February 5 to April 17. This code will work for all the upcoming classes. You will have to register 1 more time with your name and email address. Please make sure you type your email address correctly. Registration Web Link: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/616569648
You should be getting a weekly reminder.

robertsloan2
01-31-2011, 06:16 PM
I just got my email and registered again. Thank you for sending this out and sorting out the problem, Johannes! Also thanks for adding a thread for my notes.

winecountry
01-31-2011, 06:38 PM
hooray, getting more organized as we go....thanks!

the drover's dog
01-31-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the new structure for this forum. It will make life a lot easier, particularly for the Newbies.

Dale

robertsloan2
01-31-2011, 07:31 PM
Yay, got my notes posted in my special Robert-only Notes thread. Ari tried to help but I wouldn't let him type. His paws are too large to tap just one key any more, he's outgrown the whole Typing Cat business. He still sheds his virtual Cat Hairs of Inspiration on anyone reading this.

Reading the answer to my question about paintings looking better farther away than right under my nose, that sounded great. What I need is a motorized easel with a remote control that can back up five feet for me to look at it and roll back up to me for my next stroke. Or a large studio and a power chair.

rugman
01-31-2011, 07:52 PM
Robert- maybe there is some kind of reducing glass, or reducing lens that you could buy. You know, you look thru it, and makes things smaller and farther away.

This new organization is great! Thanks to everyone involved.

winecountry
01-31-2011, 08:57 PM
re reducing glass..... had one of those, it got lost in some move but it works just fine.

Is anyone going through their thousands of photos and cleaning house like Charlie?

Scotkatidid
01-31-2011, 10:13 PM
Johannes I find your class very interesting, informative and your instruction very down to earth. I have re-registered and am looking forward to Sat Feb 5, 2011 -till then...

Kumquat
02-01-2011, 12:48 AM
Joe, I am really anticipating the assignment portion of the class! Thank you so much for all the work you have put into this--it must be monumental to keep up with it all. Can't wait until Saturday!

Cherrie
02-01-2011, 05:38 AM
Good Morning all,
I am new at this so hopefully I am posting this in the right place. My question is: are we permitted to paint any of the photos presented in the class? I have not acquired any useable photos of my own- I am painting (watercolor) out of books at this point. Just from these 2 classes I can already see things that I have done incorrectly. Amazing amounts of info in a relatively short time. Thanks again.

Mary Brigid
02-01-2011, 05:40 AM
Johannes thank you for doing the new threads. It was getting hard to wade through with so many post. I have regesitard and enjoying your class. I have not painted in a while and nothing seemed to excite me. But your class has got my muse back again. Thank you
Mary Brigid

Ruthie57
02-01-2011, 05:42 AM
Oh I like the new look, with different threads for each purpose. Robert, you've finally arrived...you have your own thread on WC...lol
Colleen, I looked through hundreds of my thousands of ref photos yesterday and it was quite depressing! There are so many with only two planes and the sky....we don't have mountains, or even big hills, here in Norfolk. But there are some where I may be able to create a third, distant, plain with lavender trees!

Ruthie57
02-01-2011, 05:42 AM
Hi Mary-Brigid!! We cross posted!

wetbob
02-01-2011, 05:43 AM
It s interesting to check all teached by Johannes in the museum!

Mary Brigid
02-01-2011, 05:48 AM
Hi Ruthie... Is not this a wonderful learning Zone! Now I know why my paintings go so wrong lol
Mary Brigid

Kandrea
02-01-2011, 07:34 AM
Hi all, I am excited about this learning experience with Johannes and all of you. After the first two classes and reviewing some of my photographs, I realized why I couldn't choose hardly any to paint. I'm looking forward to a new eye for taking pics. Andrea, NM

Colorix
02-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Good you've found your muse again, Mary-Brigid!

Had me thinking, muse -- museum. Looked it up, and yes, a 'museum' (Greek root probably 'museon') is a building dedicated to one or more of the 9 muses -- the fine arts. (And weren't you just dying to acquire that useless piece of info, eh? :-)

Jim, you asked about using bw in Photoshop to find values. I prefer the bw setting in the camera, it is more accurate. It is a handy tool to learn to see values better, but in the end, your eyes are better, once you trained the brain. In PS, or rather PSE, there are at least 7 *different* ways of making a bw/greyscale photo. They all push the hues to different values, for different effects.

Otherwise, my best advice is to squint (gently) and look through the roots of your eyelashes, that will reduce the colour input, and make it easier to see values. Squinting also reduced the amount of detail, makes it easier to see masses.

What complicates values is that on the value scale, white seems to have a greater difference to the nearest light grey, than what the black has to its nearest very dark grey. Seems the perceived scale is not linear at all.

Grainne
02-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Had me thinking, muse -- museum. Looked it up, and yes, a 'museum' (Greek root probably 'museon') is a building dedicated to one or more of the 9 muses -- the fine arts. (And weren't you just dying to acquire that useless piece of info, eh? :-)

My daughter has always laughingly said that my mind is a compendium of useless information. But there's always room for one piece more . . . I just tucked that one in! :lol:

Sometimes it's helpful to know a little bit about everything, but I'm glad I am now learning a whole lot about composition!

Grainne (aka "Kaye")

Johannes Instructor
02-01-2011, 10:33 AM
I must insist. Do not depend on a camera for values or color. The human eye sees very differently than a camera. We are not to paint the way the picture looks but the way the eye sees.

Srishti
02-01-2011, 10:48 AM
This is great! I am a latecomer to Johannes's excellent classes (better late than never). At least I am here for the landscape composition ones! :)
It was painful to wade through those long threads...

I always take millions of pictures but when I download them and look at them, I clearly see how useless that are for painting purposes. Now I am beginning to see what exactly is wrong with them and why I hate them :o

The problem is that now there is more pictures that I totally hate, because I know what is wrong with them, and I have still no idea how to fix these...

I know I would be paying more attention to every scene from now on before I release my shutter.

I have learnt so much in just the two classes, I am astounded. Just the simple common sense knowledge that I was clueless about!

sherrysherman
02-01-2011, 11:02 AM
I always take millions of pictures but when I download them and look at them, I clearly see how useless that are for painting purposes. Now I am beginning to see what exactly is wrong with them and why I hate them :o

The problem is that now there is more pictures that I totally hate, because I know what is wrong with them, and I have still no idea how to fix these...

Good thing we have 11 weeks of class left, so we can learn how to fix a lot of what is wrong with photos.

Johannes Instructor
02-01-2011, 11:45 AM
This is great! I am a latecomer to Johannes's excellent classes (better late than never). At least I am here for the landscape composition ones! :)

I know I would be paying more attention to every scene from now on before I release my shutter.

I have learnt so much in just the two classes, I am astounded. Just the simple common sense knowledge that I was clueless about!

Good thats exactly what I wanted. Imagine movie producers how many scripts they get for movies and how many they turn down. They area always waiting for that good story to make a movie from. Same as the record companies. How many submissions for songs do they get. Now we will be more selective in choosing what photos will work.

Johannes Instructor
02-01-2011, 11:47 AM

Good thats exactly what I wanted. Imagine movie producers how many scripts they get for movies and how many they turn down. They are always waiting for that good story to make a movie from. Same as the record companies. How many submissions for songs do they get? Now we will be more selective in choosing what photos will work. Once you understand all this you will feel strongly supported to develop your paintings.

robertsloan2
02-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Ron, thanks for mentioning that! I bought a reducing glass. What I need to do is remember to use it, keep it handy while I'm painting.

Johannes, that makes so much sense. Most of my photos don't work well but I'm learning to spot the ones that do and why they do. I need to get used to using multiple photos more often, that will help a lot if I don't have any good photos of something.

Srishti
02-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Thanks Johannes...
Yes... I have to keep in ming multiple photos!
Looking forward to the cropping lesson next week...

IrmaH322
02-01-2011, 01:07 PM
I checked my 1,000 plus landscape photos and only a few have a decent composition but lots of them are good to combine. From now on I need a different approach when taking photos. Right now I am concentrating in masses and values in monocromatic studies. I am not handling color yet because for me it is not easy to translate color into values. In watercolor I have a value scale of the main colors I use; haven't done it in acrylic yet.
In the one I am working on I had to eliminate a lot of things and change the foreground to make an "entrance".I think the preparations will take longer that the paint itself, the opposite of what I was doing before. That is why I was not doing it right. As soon as I finish this study I will post it for critiques. Thank you Johannes for opening my yes! Irma

Johannes Instructor
02-01-2011, 09:15 PM
OK all! To make it easier I have created a universal access code to enter the web class on Saturday and Sunday from 3 to 5 PM EST from February 5 to April 17. This code will work for all the upcoming classes. You will have to register 1 more time with your name and email address. Please make sure you type your email address correctly. Registration Web Link: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/616569648

Johannes Instructor
02-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Just to let you know that I have removed all the links for downloads of materials of webinars etc from previous classes I did before I entered the agreement with F&W those have been gone. The only materials that will be available from here on are the web classes from January 29, 2011 to April 17 that can be acquired thru ArtistsNetwork. I will let you know when these are available.

luvs2paint1
02-01-2011, 10:06 PM
I love how everything is organized and so much easier to navigate. Thank you Joe. You are a true Blessing to us all. :clap:

crazywoman53
02-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Yay, got my notes posted in my special Robert-only Notes thread. Ari tried to help but I wouldn't let him type. His paws are too large to tap just one key any more, he's outgrown the whole Typing Cat business. He still sheds his virtual Cat Hairs of Inspiration on anyone reading this.

Reading the answer to my question about paintings looking better farther away than right under my nose, that sounded great. What I need is a motorized easel with a remote control that can back up five feet for me to look at it and roll back up to me for my next stroke. Or a large studio and a power chair.

Robert I think it is great your notes are where they are easily found. I have been taking my own but download yours as well just in case. I had a grand idea for your painting problem.. set up your studio in a shooting target place where they can move the target away to shoot and bring it close to examine.. Have a feeling your furry friend wouldn't like that though. :)

Enjoying all the organization too. Good work everyone!

hewill4giveu
02-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Computers also give false colors. I have tried to paint some pictures only to see they are nothing like what i have seen artists paint with on the computer. For instance Johannes's pastel fri. The lighter landscape beach areas looked like snow. Had we painted them as we seen them it would have been wrong. Which only shows me the importance of knowing my values and i guess not colors but hues. Which i am also working on too. With each lesson that is taught the rules are beginning to come to my memory as i work. Now to get the little buggars in my hands and i will have it made LOL.

susanc
02-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Aw, you guys are so lucky that you hate your photos! I don't know enough to hate mine yet--had to miss Sunday! I can't wait for the class downloads, but in the meantime, I've got the lesson handout (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872822) and Robert's notes (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875402) so I don't feel entirely in the dark--such an important foundation topic! Thanks!

rugman
02-02-2011, 10:08 AM
About taking photos for references:

I use a small, digital camera, that will fit in a shirt pocket. I use a high megapixal (10-14) when taking photos. For general landscape pictures, I take plenty of pictures in non-zoom. This way, I get more info (land area) in photo and I can then have plenty of room in photo to crop and zoom using computer. The high megapixels ensures that resolution will be good when zooming on computer. Still takes a lot of photos to find one that will work good for painting!

Just something that has been helpful to me, maybe it will give you some ideas to try when taking photos for painting references.

PETE K
02-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Hi Ron, I find that i compoes my photographs right when i'm taking them. That lets me think what and how I want my painting to be when i'm going to paint it. It keeps in mind colours and values that i saw. So i could relate to the photograph better. The time of day means alot to what you are going to photograph. you could take 100's of pic's say in morning of a scene and nothing is that great. but mybe if you were to come back later in the day the light has changed and you may find that perfict comp and lighting. I used black and white film for most of my life with Ansel Adams Zone System. Which you have detail in the high lights and detail in the darks. more of what the eye really sees. Digital can not do that.at least not yet. thats why lights are washed or darks are to dark to tell there is anything in them. I always keep this in mind when taking my pic's. then whan I'm painting I remember that there is detail in the washed out and or detail in the way to dark area in the photo from a Digital camera.
What Johannes is saying it true, but kind of hard to under stand at first. about the useable value ranges. In time it will ba a piece of cake.

rugman
02-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Pete- yes, I compose when taking pictures as well.... just not as much anymore. Because later on, I say to myself..."oh, I wish I would have kept more of that hill" or, "I needed more of that mountain on the side" or whatever. Sometimes I get lucky and can get several paintings from one photo only because I did not zoom and could get several crops.

Yes, whites are washed out, and shadows are too dark. Just like Johannes was saying last weekend. I've learned to just compensate for that, escpecially after plein air painting... as you know. And I paint from black and white photos often, which is getting more and more fun. Very liberating, again, like Johannes was saying last weekend during class.

Fun stuff, Pete!!

Johannes Instructor
02-02-2011, 11:28 AM
My wife wouldn't stop bugging me until I uploaded this. This is one of my paintings that won the national award in Mexico (all the country) first place for watercolor. The size was 35" by 56". That's almost double size of a full size watercolor sheet The ground fog was what made me do it.

PETE K
02-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Well Congratulation on the contestand what a contest. I'm seeing the lower value in the shadows leaving alot more detail in everything. the deep shadows in the building contrast nicely with the bright outside wall. drawing you there with the wale leadin to the lady on the walk. this is beautiful Johannes.

susanc
02-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Tell your wife thanks. I've always wanted to see it since you described its size to us once. Incredible!

oils4me
02-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Thats really awesome Johannes...will you teach us how you do your watercolors too? I know I'm greedy...haha...I like the way you used the fog and the shadows to create the lead-in...the archway takes my eye up to the diagonal of the domes and the lines of the building bring me back full circle...I love the trees on the right and the way the leaves all point the eye towards the building...what a lovely image, very deserving of the award...I can see why your wife wanted you to post this, she is obviously, and rightfully so, very proud of your work...it's really hard to take my eyes off of it, a visual treat, a great study in many ways...thanks for sharing...:)

winecountry
02-02-2011, 01:27 PM
stunning watercolor....fog rules:lol:

wc3f4o9r1um
02-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Johannes, thank you for being so diligent in putting on these webinars. It is really nice to see the information translated into real live action. By the way, glad your wife bugged you to post this painting.

IrmaH322
02-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Johannes love that painting, I like the darks it looks that there is a glow coming from inside. Thank you for posting.

Colorix
02-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Johannes: Wow, that's a *watercolour*? I see it is, it is amazing!

Ron, Pete, about taking photos, good advice! I can add two tricks: To bracket the exposure, I think it is called that, and take 3 pics with different exposure. One for details in the darks, one for mid tones, and one for highlights (where everything else is way too dark, but you *can* see the clouds/snow/water/etc). A way to 'fool' the point-and-shoot camera is to aim it towards something really dark (and for the next shot to something really light, like sky), lock the setting by pressing the button to half, and then point camera to the actual scene and shoot. The latter method gives less control, but if it is the only one the camera allows, it works great. Then one uses three photos as reference material, for the different areas.

Weeding my pics, I find that what they lack most is a lead-in. When one can be constructed for a painting, I keep the photo. (Note, I'm weeding because the computer is overful with ref photos, so I toss the hopeless ones, finally -- am a 'packrat', as you never know if you can use something...)

Grainne
02-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Johannes, for a watercolorist it's a real treat to see your painting! It has gorgeous passages that are handled so skillfully. A feast for the eyes . . . Thank your wife me! :)

Grainne (aka*Kaye*)

PS You can share all the watercolors you want!! :)

artifact hunter
02-02-2011, 03:35 PM
I was unable to access the class on Sunday. Was it a repeat of Saturday's teaching?

artifact hunter
02-02-2011, 03:43 PM
I forgot to mention that what I did learn from you on Sat was immensely helpful. Opened my eyes in new ways. Thank you.

Johannes Instructor
02-02-2011, 03:52 PM
I was unable to access the class on Sunday. Was it a repeat of Saturday's teaching?
Sunday is a continuation from Saturday and the whole course will be until April 17
Click here to join
https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/616569648
That code will be used for all web classes.

artifact hunter
02-02-2011, 03:55 PM
I was able to access the class on Saturday, why not on Sunday? Was there something else I had to do, i.e. reregister?

Johannes Instructor
02-02-2011, 04:52 PM
I was able to access the class on Saturday, why not on Sunday? Was there something else I had to do, i.e. reregister?
Yes please register but this is the last time you will have to register again.

https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/616569648 (https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/616569648)

winecountry
02-02-2011, 06:50 PM
WHOO HOOO Google has done it again with Museums of the World...the work and then you can zoom to the brushstroke level and its crystal clear!
try this Van Gogh Museum (http://www.googleartproject.com/museums/vangogh/the-bedroom)

be sure to use the slider in the righthand corner

Nansketch
02-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Johannes, thanks for the updated link, very helpful to get it nice and early. Your painting is wonderful -- so, tell us, did you work from a photo???

One thought for the newcomers -- when you get an email, add the address to your address book. Some of mine have gone to spam, luckily I was watching for them.

Robert -- thanks for the notes --they are very helpful!!!

Looking forward to the Sat and Sun w/s

Nancy

Johannes Instructor
02-02-2011, 08:06 PM
yes definitely when it comes to scenes of architecture I work with a photograph

Dougwas
02-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks, Colleen. I love zooming in and seeing the brush strokes and texture of the paintings.

Doug

susanc
02-02-2011, 11:24 PM
WHOO HOOO Google has done it again with Museums of the World...the work and then you can zoom to the brushstroke level and its crystal clear!
try this Van Gogh Museum (http://www.googleartproject.com/museums/vangogh/the-bedroom)

be sure to use the slider in the righthand corner Whoa! Thanks, Colleen. I am in awe, looking closely at the brushstrokes of master painters while sitting on my comfy couch after 8 pm! No traffic, no crowds, no admission fees. The detail they captured is really amazing! :thumbsup:

rugman
02-03-2011, 12:03 AM

be sure to use the slider in the righthand corner

Thanks, Colleen! That was fun. Amazing what technology can do.

IrmaH322
02-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Colleen it is AMAZING. Thanks for the link.
Irma

Johannes Instructor
02-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Now that we are on this subject check this out:
http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?from=searchresults&pos=2&intObjectID=5073604&sid=4542ed64-552d-442c-9591-b7673be8315c
http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?from=searchresults&intObjectID=5315125&sid=4542ed64-552d-442c-9591-b7673be8315c
http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?from=searchresults&intObjectID=5199712&sid=4542ed64-552d-442c-9591-b7673be8315c

Make sure you click on "enlarge" and you will see Clyde Aspevig's brushstrokes and texture. Notice the predominant mid value in those paintings.

winecountry
02-03-2011, 12:46 PM
a wonderful lesson and the snow painting makes me rethink the foam I try and paint in my seascapes...prices are puzzling the golden cottonwoods went for 67K and the larger taos piece for 30K....thanks Johannes for the links

hewill4giveu
02-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Beautifull works of art the snow scene is amazing coarse i love snow scenes anyway.

MartinaL
02-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Johannes, thank you for the link! It is interesting to zoom in and take a closer look.
And: Thank you so very much for the classes, I learned a lot last weekend!!!
I`m looking forward to next weekend :)

Davkin
02-03-2011, 03:12 PM
I went home for lunch and guess what was sitting on my porch.....Clyde Aspevig's new book! I ordered it clear back in early December and had to wait for it due to printing delays but it was well worth the wait, and worth well more than what I paid! I beleive this may be the best bang for the buck for an artist "brochure" type book. Most artists charge twice as much or more. The book is about 11x14 and a total of about 90 pages, about 55 of which are gorgeous full page plates. It is hardback and uses high quality heavy paper and the print quality is perfect! I highly recommend this book to anybody interested in landscape art, it will leave your jaw hanging! This book is an investment!

David

susanc
02-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Oh, stink, Dave! You are too lucky. (Home for lunch and the Clyde Aspevig book, too!) Just this morning I was wondering if I could ask on this forum if it's available yet. What's it called? I was going to order something from him earlier but was afraid it was a catalog instead of the new book. That wouldn't have been a horrible mistake, but I'm sadly not made of money so I would have had to wait a bit to get the book if I'd done that.

The Aspevig links Johannes listed are great. I love being able to get in close to see the brushstrokes!

Davkin
02-03-2011, 03:53 PM
The title of the book is "Visual Music, the Landscapes of Clyde Aspevig".

Yes, I'm lucky to live only 3 1/2 miles from work now, so I go home for lunch often. :D

David

IrmaH322
02-03-2011, 04:04 PM
I think on Johannes link of C. Aspevig's paintings the "High Road to Taos" is an example of what Johannes was explaining in class about a dark background and a light foreground. Am I wrong?

Johannes Instructor
02-03-2011, 04:11 PM
The title of the book is "Visual Music, the Landscapes of Clyde Aspevig".

Yes, I'm lucky to live only 3 1/2 miles from work now, so I go home for lunch often. :D

David

Now that we are talking about books, a new book lying on the door steps of your house is like a warm puppy and your loving spouse greeting you huh? By the way remember I highly recommended a very good book and a must have? It is called,
"Your Artist's Brain"
http://www.northlightshop.com/product/your-artists-brain (http://www.northlightshop.com/product/your-artists-brain)

It is available at Northlight which is the company that sponsors my classes. If you type this promo code in: WCLIVE you will get 10% off. This way we also we show F&W appreciation for hosting the course because that code gets tracked as recommended by me. That book helped me go up a notch. I wish they had published that book 20 years ago. It would've saved me a lot of overcoming errors. "Your Artist's Brain" is on the top of my list.

elisamaria
02-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Johannes, you take such a good care of your students. Suppluing us with excellent ref material= your own written and painted. Thanks of showing your watercolor painting. I´m so impressed of the good feeling and warmth you carry out to the viewer. Your wife knows what your students like. Thank her too.
:heart:
I feel like a child who is asking mammy and daddy. "When is it Saturday and Sunday, I want to go to Johannes´s school, my best teacher."
I´ll be there, see you ALL.:wave:

Elisabeth

Johannes Instructor
02-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Johannes, you take such a good care of your students. Suppluing us with excellent ref material= your own written and painted. Thanks of showing your watercolor painting. I´m so impressed of the good feeling and warmth you carry out to the viewer. Your wife knows what your students like. Thank her too.
:heart:
I feel like a child who is asking mammy and daddy. "When is it Saturday and Sunday, I want to go to Johannes´s school, my best teacher."
I´ll be there, see you ALL.:wave:

Elisabeth
Thank you Elizabeth, I am also counting the hours till next class.

elisamaria
02-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Collen, thank you for the fantastic link Van Gogh Museum. Love to go there.

Elisabeth

beartist
02-03-2011, 09:38 PM
I feel like I'm missing out so much since it is immpossible for me to join on Saturday or in middle of the day on Sunday. (Think of what a bunch of preschoolers could do if mommy is in a world of her own...)
Is there any way for me to follow the class at a different time even if it isn't live?
Thank You!

Grainne
02-03-2011, 09:51 PM
By the way remember I highly recommended a very good book and a must have? It is called,[/SIZE]
"Your Artist's Brain"
http://www.northlightshop.com/product/your-artists-brain (http://www.northlightshop.com/product/your-artists-brain)

I ordered this book when you first recommended it and it is indeed wonderful! Except that it is much better reading it through the lens of your teaching! I sincerely believe that as great and helpful as the book is, what I have learned from you makes it all come alive! And the medium he uses is watercolor :clap: :D A bonus for me! :thumbsup:

I think it's a must for every artist's shelf.

Grainne (aka "Kaye")

Johannes Instructor
02-03-2011, 09:52 PM
I feel like I'm missing out so much since it is immpossible for me to join on Saturday or in middle of the day on Sunday. (Think of what a bunch of preschoolers could do if mommy is in a world of her own...)
Is there any way for me to follow the class at a different time even if it isn't live?
Thank You!
Only by downloading the purchasable recordings.

beejane
02-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Only by downloading the purchasable recordings.

Do you know when the downloadable recordings will be available? I had to miss last weekend and was hoping to watch the first two sessions before this weekends new material. I did read Robert's notes and the handouts, and am eagerly waiting to see the class.

Johannes Instructor
02-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Do you know when the downloadable recordings will be available? I had to miss last weekend and was hoping to watch the first two sessions before this weekends new material. I did read Robert's notes and the handouts, and am eagerly waiting to see the class.
I will be submitting them in a few days. Once F&W gets them it is in their hands and we will have to wait for them to make them available.

Yabut
02-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Now that we are talking about books, a new book lying on the door steps of your house is like a warm puppy and your loving spouse greeting you huh? By the way remember I highly recommended a very good book and a must have? It is called,
"Your Artist's Brain"

It is available at Northlight which is the company that sponsors my classes. If you type this promo code in: WCLIVE you will get 10% off. This way we also we show F&W appreciation for hosting the course because that code gets tracked as recommended by me. That book helped me go up a notch. I wish they had published that book 20 years ago. It would've saved me a lot of overcoming errors. "Your Artist's Brain" is on the top of my list.

I have one called Painting With Your Artist's Brain by the same author. It has a different cover though. Is it the same book?

Johannes Instructor
02-04-2011, 08:29 AM
I have one called Painting With Your Artist's Brain by the same author. It has a different cover though. Is it the same book?It would be missing the drawing with the Artist Brain but you are ok with that.

mtnrunner
02-04-2011, 09:10 AM
I just ordered Carl's book also. Can't wait.

I wanted to post a sort of "before and after" landscape - one done before sitting through several webinars with Johannes, and one after. The "after" photo has a bit of glare unfortunately, but I think it's good enough to see that several compositional and value errors were corrected from the first take. This painting will be printed as publicity and a finisher's award for a local series of races - for that reason, the painting had to be somewhat true to the actual scene it depicted. Even so, with Johannes' help I made some changes (cut down a few trees!) that improved the overall look I believe, while still retaining enough truth to the actual scene that it was immediately recognizable by the race committee. By the way, this is very near my house and we'll probably run/hike there tomorrow, depending on snow conditions.
The changes made were mainly:
remove trees growing out of the bottom of the canvas
adjust values so that rocks are not higher in value than the sky.
Adjust values so that a bit more atmospheric perspective is evident, gaining distance
Create better eye movement by more purposeful placement of directional lines in distant hills.
Change placement of cliff and include a platform for the viewer.
i'll let ya'll be the judge,but I think the second one is an improvement.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2011/496901-Overlook_to_Pajarito_1.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2011/496901-view_from_the_Overlook.jpg

Davkin
02-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Wow! The difference is night and day. Great job! I kinda wondered about Jo's advice about putting a ledge at the bottom too but it really does help the painting. It gives the viewer a place to enter the painting and "stand", or maybe it's just giving a greater sense of depth. Also, all the other smaller changes really helped a lot too. I really like the stronger contrast between light and shadow on the rocks, they look much more solid now. This is truly a gorgeous painting.

David

mtnrunner
02-04-2011, 09:41 AM
oh, also, Johannes, I tried to order Carl's book and use that coupon code WCLIVE,but the order form would not accept it. Just FYI

mtnrunner
02-04-2011, 09:43 AM
thanks, David... Johannes helped me ALOT on this one...

susanc
02-04-2011, 11:23 AM
I thought you were very good the first time I saw it, but wow, the "after"!

Lucky you, to live so close to that inspiration! :thumbsup:

mtnrunner
02-04-2011, 12:17 PM
due in great part to your instruction and advice!!! thanks again.. the committee loved it, and I got to see the proof for the poster, and it looks fabulous!

Ruthie57
02-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Wow! BIG difference! The first is good....the second is fantastic!!!

Johannes Instructor
02-04-2011, 03:32 PM
due in great part to your instruction and advice!!! thanks again.. the committee loved it, and I got to see the proof for the poster, and it looks fabulous!

Of course they were going to like it. I would've placed a 100 to 1 bet on that. That painting is fulfilling so many hits Deb.

Johannes Instructor
02-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Wow! The difference is night and day. Great job! I kinda wondered about Jo's advice about putting a ledge at the bottom too but it really does help the painting. It gives the viewer a place to enter the painting and "stand", or maybe it's just giving a greater sense of depth. Also, all the other smaller changes really helped a lot too. I really like the stronger contrast between light and shadow on the rocks, they look much more solid now. This is truly a gorgeous painting.

David

Yes, Dave if we think front to back and create more planes the painting will have depth. MtRunner's painting is a perfect example of this principle.

oldradagast
02-04-2011, 03:41 PM
That "before and after" comparison is amazing - the improvement and application of what Johannes has taught us is obvious, yet it would have been tricky to name what was bothering us in the "before" image without the instruction we've been receiving. Great stuff!

Johannes Instructor
02-04-2011, 03:50 PM
That "before and after" comparison is amazing - the improvement and application of what Johannes has taught us is obvious, yet it would have been tricky to name what was bothering us in the "before" image without the instruction we've been receiving. Great stuff!

Yeah, if the paintings I assist you with do not improve then I am in trouble. The principles must apply and make a difference.

chewie
02-04-2011, 04:32 PM
mntrunner, wow! that a good painting. was good before, but the second one, mmm, terrific!

johannes--i am wondering how you handle a tree or bush that is basicly cut in half by the left or right side of the picture? do you just omit it? shrink it to fit into the painting? my problem with a couple ideas is i was using this bush to stop the eye from leaving the painting, but yet it looks like a round green blob cut in half. any suggestions?

mtnrunner
02-04-2011, 04:45 PM
thanks everyone. I posted this with the feeling that the kudos should go to Johannes, and hopefully that it'll be a good example that his principles really DO make a difference. I've got this tape going in my head now - it is repeating things like "abstract shapes", "think front to back", "no cloning", plan your masses".. things like that. Do you all hear that too? :-)

Johannes Instructor
02-04-2011, 06:07 PM
mntrunner, wow! that a good painting. was good before, but the second one, mmm, terrific!

johannes--i am wondering how you handle a tree or bush that is basicly cut in half by the left or right side of the picture? do you just omit it? shrink it to fit into the painting? my problem with a couple ideas is i was using this bush to stop the eye from leaving the painting, but yet it looks like a round green blob cut in half. any suggestions?

Hey you mustve hacked my computer and read my notes. I addresses this issue. I will mention it tomorrow in the cropping segment but since you asked, you crop trees and bushes at the 1/3 or 2/3 ratio.

TerryKrysak
02-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the tip about the book "Your Artist Brain", just ordered a copy.

Colorix
02-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Wow! The first was nice (see orginal post) , but the reworked one, it is just so Wow!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2011/496901-view_from_the_Overlook.jpg

Debbie626
02-05-2011, 04:50 PM
I do not have this handout in attachment that you sent. Could you please forward?

charleyz
02-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Absolutely fantastic. Is it pastel? Or?

charleyz
02-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Another excellent class. Thank you.

wetbob
02-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Yes an oils Demo:thumbsup: And chat...... ?

pat-trew
02-05-2011, 06:04 PM
this Live Class On Landscape And How To Use Photos Is Wonderful.. And I Thank You Johannes For Unselfishly Sharing Your Knowledge With Us. I Started Many Years Ago With Semi Private Portrait Classes, Unfortunately My Friend And Instructer Got Very Ill And Had To Move To Arizona, That Was 20 Years Plus Ago. I Thank You As I Am Getting Into Painting Again. :)

Johannes Instructor
02-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Johannes I find your class very interesting, informative and your instruction very down to earth. I have re-registered and am looking forward to Sat Feb 5, 2011 -till then...

Hey scotkatidid,
I am in Hamilton. Maybe you want to visit me some day.

Laine52
02-05-2011, 11:06 PM
Johannes: I saw your lesson today on Photographs in art. It was wonderful. It will help me to use my photos to paint from as well as to try plein aire panting. I have tried some, but I can't keep up with those who already know what they are doing. Also, hope to see the oil paint demo tomorrow. Laine52

Kandrea
02-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Howdy, watched your webinar yesterday and, as usual, I was blown away with your unselfish instruction. You have completely opened my eyes to a new psychology of photography! I'm excited for tomorrow. Andrea, New Mexico

flowergirl
02-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Hi I'm not sure if this is where we post our homework. If not, please advise.

Below is one photo of Monadnock Mtn from a marsh area. After yesterday's class I realize old Monadnock is not melodic! So I changed its profile and then extended the marsh area to lead into the painting. Does this improve the scene enough to be worth doing?

Thanks for your wonderful classes. I'm learning so much!
Sharon in Vermonthttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2011/59895-NH_marsh_edited.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2011/59895-NH_Marsh_resized_WC.JPG

LTStu_Dent
02-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Beautiful exchange of information and accomplishment in Posting 77. Kudos to both Mtnrunner and Johannes.

This series ....Create Stunning Landscapes from photographs... is going to be a remarkable opportunity for growth. Thank you so much to all involved.

ipimentel
02-06-2011, 01:31 PM
RE: posts to Christie and Clyde Aspevigs' landscapes.

Thank you for these links. I was not familiar with Clyde Aspevig before taking these classes. I spent much of yesterday visiting websites that feature his work, so thanks for introducing me to such a wonderful artist! Christies was a great place to examine other beautiful landscapes as well. I am looking at these paintings with new eyes, thanks to the information you are sharing with us.

brushoff
02-06-2011, 01:46 PM
How do I post cropped photos for homework for today's workshop?

brushoff
02-06-2011, 02:02 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2011/135502-Boat_in_Marsh.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2011/135502-Boat_in_Marsh_1.jpg

Violetta
02-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Johannes, I'm enjoying your classes very much and learning a lot. Thank you for your time and dedication!

I also enjoy the demos. Even though I paint with watercolor and gouache, I learn from the oil demos, but I would love one in watercolor again. Do you plan to do another watercolor demo? If so, when? Thanks!

Kumquat
02-06-2011, 06:36 PM
"Notan" came up during the demonstration today, and here is an excerpt of what painterskeys.com says about it: "It's the ability to see things in terms of black and white, and to consequently build strength in imagery. When compositions work in black and white--they work."

Alice Merritt
02-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Am enjoying classes..especially the demo today..Missed yesterday but look forward to Robert's excellent notes, Thanks,Alice

essie89
02-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Where are the handouts from each class posted? I can't find them.

caemin
02-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Where are the handouts from each class posted? I can't find them.
Scroll to the top of this page until you see:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/images/misc/navbits_start.gif (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860272#) WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php) > Explore Subjects (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6) > Landscapes (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31) > Partner: WetCanvas Live! (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/images/misc/navbits_finallink.gif (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875292) Johannes- Student Discussion Forum Week 2

Click on Partner: WetCanvas Live! (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522) . Once there, scroll down to the thread, titled Posted handouts for class attendees (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872822) and all the handouts are in
that thread.

Make a bookmark so you can find it again.

winecountry
02-06-2011, 11:28 PM
"Notan" came up during the demonstration today, and here is an excerpt of what painterskeys.com says about it: "It's the ability to see things in terms of black and white, and to consequently build strength in imagery. When compositions work in black and white--they work."

Although that a more strict def of what notan is ( came from Japanese terms)...in art it is a bit more general I've even seen color notans taught....and 3 value notans or 5 value notans etc...I like the term value map better and find it more descriptive of what it's purpose is...

Yabut
02-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Johannes, perhaps you could encourage the powers that be to extend the discount to the Drawing or Painting with Your Artist's Brain, as several of us already have one of them. That way they might even sell more books. Just a thought....

Colorix
02-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Colleen has it right. (There are also line notans. The concept is larger than most people think it is.)

Although that a more strict def of what notan is ( came from Japanese terms)...in art it is a bit more general I've even seen color notans taught....and 3 value notans or 5 value notans etc...I like the term value map better and find it more descriptive of what it's purpose is...

gale Prosser Shuba
02-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Johannes,
Thank you for sharing all your expertise. My brain has been rambling since we started and I am trying to retain as much as I can. I am enjoying your classes and think your paintings are wonderful.

Kumquat
02-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Winecountry, I really like your "value map" term as a way to describe notan--it is a more freeing description and ultimately, more usable to an artist, and good tools are wonderful!

sundiver
02-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Closing this. Please continue in the Week 3 thread. :)