PDA

View Full Version : wc and glass ?

lisaastrup
01-31-2011, 04:56 AM
Hi.

I do like to paint with water color, but one thing I don't like is that I have to put in behind glass - can I hang them without using glass in front ??? :rolleyes:

Ellen in Ont
01-31-2011, 07:00 AM
Hi Lisa - the reason watercolours are put behind glass is to protect them. Since they are on paper and the pigments will re-wet with any moisture, everything would affect the painting. Splashed water, humidity, smoke, dirt, dust, would soon spoil it. The mat is used to keep the painting from touching the glass and the glass protects it from the environment. That said, there are ways. If you do a search through the watercolour site you will find threads explaining how to "varnish" your watercolour to achieve the same protection without the need for glass. Basically, you are coating it with a few layers of acrylic medium. However, this does change the look of the painting and it no longer has the look of a watercolour. Also, once acrylic is applied it is classed as mixed media rather than pure watercolour.

Glass or plexiglass is necessary if you aren't varnishing.

painterbear
01-31-2011, 07:34 AM
Hi Lisa,

I agree with Ellen's comment ^^^ about framing your watercolors behind glass. That is how I do mine. :D

However, if you are interested in learning about spraying with a "varnish" and not using glass, there are several threads in the Watercolor Handbook about this technique that you might find informative:

**Fixatives and Varnished Paintings**

Mounting a Watercolor Paper on Canvas by Baba

Merits of Sealed Watercolors

Sealing Paintings for Framing Without Glass by Rich Williams

Spraying Watercolors with a Fixative

Thoughts on Framing Without Glass

Fixatives and Varnishes - Framing without Glass by seedy

You can find a link to the Handbook in my signature line or at the top of The Learning Zone.

Sylvia

Shirl Parker
02-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Here is a link (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558783&highlight=dorland) to a wax alternative to glass.