PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine and more caffeine

erik_satie_rolls
02-07-2003, 03:23 PM
I did a search here on WC and found 110 posts mentioning caffeine, but all in passing. Here's the issue. I don't do 'drugs' but do love coffee and have noticed a huge difference in my judgement depending on whether its been a zero to four cup morning.

I say this as I am still buzzing and its about 2 in the afternoon now, been a great creative day of drawing, but experience and my journal tells me that tomorrow morning I will just have to start all over again. I'll wake up, and if I look at the work I've done today BC(before coffee) a lot of it will be very disappointing to me. Since I'm a highly sensitive person, this can discourage me to the point of avoiding art for the whole weekend.

I'm amazed and not a little put out that legal caffeine could have life altering effects on my behavior. Just for reference, my work seems to be well accepted, I sell quite a few portraits when I can afford enough java to keep the work going :-) .

Is anyone else in a similar situation, and how has it affected your artistic experience?

madster
02-07-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by erik_satie_rolls
I don't do 'drugs' but do love coffee

Sorry to burst your bubble, but caffeine IS a drug. It is one of the most widely used drugs in society. The history of coffee dates it back to about 500 AD, and tea, which is also caffinated dates back to about 2737 BC...

I'll wake up, and if I look at the work I've done today BC(before coffee) a lot of it will be very disappointing to me. Since I'm a highly sensitive person, this can discourage me to the point of avoiding art for the whole weekend.

Well then, either stop being so sensitive, don't paint BC (before caffiene - they DO make decaf, ya know), or don't look at your pre BC work until AFTER you've painted for the whole weekend...

I'm amazed and not a little put out that legal caffeine could have life altering effects on my behavior.

Why? It is your choice to imbibe or not imbibe the wonders of the caffiene god. Amazed, sure. Put out? At who? Yourself? Why? If it helps your creativity, kewl. If not, switch to decaf! Life altering effects? Well, DUH! Why would so many of us consume it otherwise? There are caffinated mints to suck on, boosted colas with twice or more the "regular" amount of caffeine, and straight caffeine tabs for those all-nighters...

Just for reference, my work seems to be well accepted, I sell quite a few portraits when I can afford enough java to keep the work going :-) .

Then make sure to include your caffeine fix costs in the price you charge for your works. ;)

Is anyone else in a similar situation, and how has it affected your artistic experience?

Anyone who groggily bounces off the walls in the morning to get to the coffee machine has a similar situation... I can't speak for how it affects my artistic experience except to say that when it wears off at the end of the evening, so does my creativity and motivation. I don't even THINK of painting, or coding, or doing anything of importance in my life until after I've had that first cup o' joe.

If you're that interested in caffeine, check out this site...
www.louisville.edu/~tlwrig03/Caffeine.htm

erik_satie_rolls
02-07-2003, 04:54 PM
madster, is that caffeine talking or are you just naturally abrasive?

;-)

madster
02-08-2003, 11:13 AM
First, let me make one thing perfectly clear: I never explain anything.

~~~Mary Poppins
;) :D

timelady
02-08-2003, 04:52 PM
Studies have shown that non-coffee drinkers work at the same level as coffee-drinkers who need their 'x cups' to 'get going'. Interesting I thought. So basically if you weaned yourself off coffee you should be able to work just as well without it. :) (oh, but do wean yourself - coffee is addictive and the side effects of withdrawal are awful)

Saying that, caffeine in moderate amounts can help some people. I'm ADD and find coffee improves my concentration at certain points of the day. But only in moderation. :D (er, most days) I keep a jar of decaf in the studio for days when I'm feeling particularly 'drinky'. It's weird but especially in the UK having a tea/coffee every time someone walks into the studio or you stop for a break is the norm.

Tina.

vklum
02-08-2003, 05:22 PM
Caffeine actually has the opposite effect on me. I could drink a pot of coffee and immediately fall asleep (it has happened :) ).

That said though, I was probably responsible for many of the Starbucks opening up near my home, I drank so much coffee :D At one point I used to drink 2-3 DOUBLE mochas every day. Until one day I drank my first double mocha of the day and experienced overload...it was like I could actually see the toxins leaking from my pores. So I gave up coffee for about 18 months, and drank tea (black, green, and herbal).

Then I started on coffee again. Only I didn't drink espressos, just straight coffee w/cream. Either a Starbucks Venti, or I'd make my little pot every morning. And it wasn't even so much for the caffeine fix as much as I actually love the taste of coffee w/cream. Then, about five months ago, the acids and toxins had built back up to where I was feeling sick, and I quit drinking it again and went back to tea.

Then, Starbucks found one of my weaknesses and started making peppermint mochas during the holiday season...which I got immediately addicted to. But now I'm back to tea and hot chocolate (I can give up the espresso drink...the chocolate is a little harder to let go of).

One thing I noticed...besides feeling the ill effects of the acids and toxins in my body, I would get really bad acne, especially on my chin. I wasn't getting it as bad when I was drinking tea, but then in December when I was drinking the peppermint mochas (w/the espresso), the bad acne came back.

I'm finding that I really don't miss coffee at all. I get plenty of caffeine in tea, but none of the icky toxic effects. Though I suspect it was easier to give up coffee because it made me sick...if I had had to have given it up for any other reason, I probably would have been very, very cranky. :evil:

Ron van den Boogaard
02-10-2003, 12:28 PM
Though I went from a lot (30 cups a day) to extremely moderate (4 cups in the morning. And that's european coffee, none of this Starbuck's Disco Stuff. I cannot really see any difference in creativity.
So it seems to work differently for everybody and I can't make a real contribution to this thread.
It wakes me up in the morning and I do like the taste (and the smell) but when I am really into a project it makes no difference and when I go to a creative drought period: makes no difference either....

- Putting cream in coffee is an insult to the coffee, but that's beside the point here
- the only place where they make decent coffee is Italy, and that's also beside the point
- on the creative side, coffee does make nice colours when being airbrushed, but so does tea

erik_satie_rolls
02-10-2003, 08:31 PM
Thank you for all of your insightful comments. My initial post was made out of curiosity. It sounds like everyone who replied really doesn't see that much of an effect.

I tested positive in a self-test for HSP syndrome a couple years ago, (HSP=Highly Sensitivie Person, a term coined by psychologist Elaine Aron) and perhaps this is why the 3 or so cups I drink tends to send me way into buzzland.

In any case, I'm probably going to keep drinking it, because as one of you mentioned, I just love the smell and taste of it.

Thanks again for your replies. :-)

bluepelican
02-11-2003, 12:48 PM
Hi Erik,

I don't post here too often but your post caught my eye as I also have a creativity relationship with caffeine and am HSP. When I have a good caffeine rush going I feel much more creative and motivated to do my artwork. To me caffeine is definitely a drug because I do feel quite different both mentally and physically when I have it. I have also gone through periods where I have quit coffee altogether thinking it would be best for my health, but I have not had the same creativity and production. I won't even try anymore to get off of caffeine because it isn't worth it to me to lose that extra creative boost.

There are times when caffeine works against me in that my nervous system seems to go into super high overdrive and I become really jittery and anxious, but that is just something I deal with when it happens. Also, I should mention that it isn't as though I'm drinking a lot of coffee, usually a max. of 2 cups a day. I think for some reason it just affects me differently than many others. I'm not sure if it is an HSP thing or not, but my boyfriend is also an HSP and he describes the exact same relationship to caffeine & he doesn't even have a cup a day - just every so often.

Thanks for starting this discussion, I've found it quite interesting.

erik_satie_rolls
02-11-2003, 12:58 PM
bluepelican,

thank you for your reply, I was wondering if there were any other HSPs on the board. Your descriptions about the effect of caffeine are the same as I'm experiencing. You mentioned that you deal with the jitters every once in awhile. Do you do anything in particular? In my case, when I can get in some aerobic and resistance exercise, it seems to balance things out. Right now my leg is injured and hampering that somewhat.

bluepelican
02-12-2003, 10:19 AM
One way I like to deal with the jitters and anxiety is to put on my favourite music (the louder the better) and just loose myself in that. If it is especially extreme I will let loose on housecleaning tasks and try to burn off extra energy this way. I also think that going for a walk can be quite helpful. I'm sorry to hear about your leg - I can see how that would put a damper on the "letting loose" exercise.

I'm sure there are probably many HSP types here, they just don't realize they are, or else they are in lurkdom. I went to your website and really enjoyed your work. I took ballet for many years when I was younger and your art completely took me back to that time, especially the piece with the girls talking together. How often I got in trouble for talking with friends and not paying attention to the teacher. Sigh.

philpegg
02-13-2003, 10:36 PM
Java Jive - The Ink Spots

I love coffee, I love tea
I love the java jive and it loves me
Coffee and tea and the jivin' and me
A cup, a cup, a cup, a cup, a cup!

I love java, sweet and hot
Whoops! Mr. Moto, I'm a coffee pot
Shoot me the pot and I'll pour me a shot

Oh, slip me a slug from the wonderful mug
And I cut a rug till I'm snug in a jug
A slice of onion and a raw one, draw one.
Waiter, waiter, percolator!

Boston bean, soy bean
Lima bean, string bean.
You know that I'm not keen for a bean
Unless it is a cheery coffee bean.

I love java, sweet and hot
Whoops! Mr. Moto, I'm a coffee pot
Shoot me the pot and I'll pour me a shot

Oh, slip me a slug from the wonderful mug
And I cut a rug till I'm snug in a jug
Drop me a nickel in my pot, Joe, Takin' it slow.
Waiter, waiter, percolator!

Ya Mon,

Winty
02-14-2003, 03:56 PM
I went for years, without coffee, not because I disliked it, but because I thought it wasn't good for me. Then I read that coffee (3 cups a day, no more no less) could stop my asthma attacks! And it truly works, I rarely ever have one, unless I go running when there is something noxious in the air.

And I do feel more content and creative, right after my coffee!

Winty
02-14-2003, 04:00 PM
Maybe we could run the eye/hand coordination test?

Handwriting checks are often done for food sensitivity testing. Remove a food someone is seriously sensitive to, and their handwriting improves tremendously.

Soooo..... I will pour, and we can all check our handwriting in about 20 minutes.

erik_satie_rolls
02-14-2003, 04:46 PM
Thats a good idea Winty. I started working out and exercising last year and thought it was helping my allergies, but maybe its that cup of coffee I have every morning at the gym! ;-)

Winty
02-14-2003, 09:11 PM
Oh, I don't doubt that the exercise is a plus too, for combating asthma. Besides, they say you have to have exactly three cups of coffee for it to work.

I have one in the morning, one at lunch, and one at three. They are spread throughout the day, I believe, to keep the adrenalin levels at a certain level. I am not sure why 4 or more cups defeats the purpose, perhaps then one is into a rebound effect or something?

JenniferBernard.com
02-26-2003, 01:57 AM
I don't work without my coffee, but, I don't drink the starbucks kind, only Turkish and or European style. I used to drink way too much, but naturally stopped, because I just didn't like how it made me feel, but, I drink about 3 cups a day now. everyday, regardless, and, yes, I cannot work without it. i do not think, or see, the same. and to wether or not it is a drug, I nevr really cared about that debate. if it is, it is, if not, not, either way, I will always drink it, and suspect I am addicted, but don't care. I also like tea. real tea, as in hot, in a cup, not cold tea that tastes like sugar water so common in the states.
just my caffinated 2 cents ha ha :)
Jennifer
p.s. Eric, I like your work :)

white-anubis
02-26-2003, 05:39 PM
I found that a package of chocolate covered espresso beans and three cups of coffee is great when doing a 16x20 piece featuring zebras done in stippling. I was dotting in my sleep for days.
Ah, coffee. Life-giving libation.

Winty
02-26-2003, 06:24 PM
lol ! I can see it now.

I love those chocolate coated beans!
Maybe I will run up to the kitchen and dip some of my own. Should I melt down some chocolate chips, or take a short cut and just grab some chocolate icing?

Dotting in your sleep??? You COULD sleep after that???

My sometime chef makes little chocolate cups, and fills them with some kind of creamy cappicino filling. Yum!

Chocolate and coffee, whatta team!

white-anubis
02-26-2003, 07:15 PM
I don't know how you would coat each bean. They're so small... You'd probably end up with a chocolate coated lump. Might be better that way. *drool* I just get mine at the cofee shop. Very expensive though. Had to quit them. My pet rat got ahold of one once. Turned a lap rat into a vibrating hyper-butt. I probably could've powered my refrigerator if I'd hooked up a generator to him.
Being a fanatical detailist in my work, I've GOT to have coffee. And lots of it.

Winty
02-27-2003, 11:28 AM
I know how expensive they are. That is why I was considering the 'do-it'yourself' version. Usually I have to rely on some kind soul giving them to me as a gift (rare occasion), or being in a mood to really pamper myself (too rare an occasion also)! Then, too, one has to be careful where one purchases them so that they are relatively fresh. Other than that, I just play around with my espresso machine, and some syrups when I want to semi-pamper myself. Usually on slow Sunday afternoons. That hypes me enough to really at least FEEL very creative! ( I wonder if that is an illusion, like a drunk thinking he/she is the life of the party?) Imagine me having the grand illusion of being the life of my studio. Oops, I guess I am supposed to be. Could you pour me another cup?

timelady
03-04-2003, 04:08 PM
This is getting quite interesting! I've never heard of HSP, but have some hyper sensitivities associated with my ADD (particularly sound, sight and touch). Although admittedly there's so much overlap of these types of things in many conditions. But I'd love to read more about HSP - knowledge is good. :) I don't notice any particular effect of caffeine on my senses in that respect, just in the ability to focus really.

I only drink instant coffee nowadays (which is nicer over here than the stuff I had in the US) which has less caffeine than perked coffee. When I lived in the US and drank good ol' coffee shop stuff (like Starbucks but Coffee Chicago - don't think they're around anymore) it was AWFUL on my stomach. Acid galore, and the few people I know who had to give it up did so because of the damage it was doing to their stomach. So that's food (or drink) for thought...

Tina.

Manuel
03-05-2003, 03:34 AM
I dont drink coffee at all. Or lets say only once a month. My girlfriend makes really good espressos...

But i do drink Guarana regularly. I figured out, that coffee always made my stomach hurt, when i drank it. So i switched to Guarana. Its much better for your stomach and has some other positive side effects on your health.
Its much cheaper than coffee and it releases its caffeine slower, so the effect lasts longer, and after a glass of orange juice with a small spoon of guarana-powder in it, i am almost like in a rush. Sometimes I start to paint and dont stop even a minute for 4-6 hours or so.
I dont know, if my creativity also improves, but it definetly helps me working on a piece of art, cause i can concentrate much better!

coolray
03-07-2003, 12:27 PM
Okay who in here has had ccoffee this morning, show of hands please? I see. Most of you. Well I was going to suggest we have another round of Java, but that could put us over the limit! I HAVE to have my coffee in the morning! I can't think, I can't speak, and on rare occasions walk!

As far as being more creative when I drink coffee, all I know is that creativity would even show itself if I were not fully awake with the caffine!

So here's to those who partake in the brown beverage! May you create great things while coping with the caffine jitters!!

"Oh, yes! Don't mind if I do have another cup!"

Terry

hellerious
03-09-2003, 08:39 AM
Does anyone out there remember the episode on "The Honeymooners" where Alice and Trixie fill Ed and Ralph's wine bottle with grape juice? Well, of course as we all know they surely will, the two guys come home, slurp it all down and become as sloshed as skunks, singing, slurring their words, falling all over each other. What's my point? Sure caffeine is a drug, a mighty powerful one I've given up, maybe 100 times, but as we all know, the mind makes the trip. Too simplistic? Maybe. But it helped me recently when for a health condition, I had to go my 101st round with coffee, and it wasn't easy, but at last I won. I lived in Holland for a time. Yeah, I know all about French coffee, even Italian coffee, I've lost myself in both more than a few times and my god, the smell alone can drive you mad! But for me, nothing yet has come close to the magic the Dutch can work with that little bean. I used to actually lie awake early in the morning counting the hours (and minutes!) until my husband would get up to prepare it. (He and his coffeepot were like Yasha Heifetz and his violin. I seldom interfered.) Oh, and what beautiful music they made together! These days sans the java, it has been a challenge to rev that motor of mine in the early mornings as before when greeting the world and getting down to my artwork, even moreso to keep that motor going come late afternoon and early evening. The bean beckons. Sure, I crave that rich, faintly acidic flavor and also that heady smell, dearer to me than any perfume from any continent. But my health comes first. And after a few days of pitiful jittery withdrawal and lethargy, of minor headaches and being a major grumpy pain in the ass, I think my art looks good and I absolutely feel good.

Just a thought: (Yes, I have written and published fiction). What if some medical study were to come out sometime that stated definitively that the whole deal about caffeine had ALL been some huge mistake? That it didn't wake us up, get us going, revved, jazzed after all? That we were all just Ed and Ralph, 2 gullible wisenheimers?

Interesting thought, eh? Oh well, like I said: the mind makes the trip.

Hellerious                

timelady
03-09-2003, 02:39 PM
I suppose the article I read said exactly that - that non-coffee drinkers were as productive without it as we were after needing our 'boost'. Basically, it's not a boost. Our bodies (mentally or physically, you decide) develop a dependence on the caffeine to make us as productive as a normal person. :) (normal? what's normal? Do normal people walk around all day with purple paint on their face without realising it???)

Tina.

hellerious
03-09-2003, 02:46 PM
Oh absolutely!
And yellow and red and green and lavender and orange and terra cotta and black and cyan and not just on our faces! And while we're at it, let us also not forget glue, little bits of paper and the Q-tip that recently followed me around (apparently I'd sat down on it after it had rolled in glue, you get the picture) for about a day and a half. Normal, schnormal. The very word should be stricken from the dictionary, except perhaps to indicate a healthy body temperature and even THAT varies.

Hellerious

Christie
03-09-2003, 03:45 PM
My son is on caffeine for his ADD. It does the same thing as ritalin, without the side effects. His creativity DOES increase because he can focus on the task at hand.

I start (and continue) my day with strong tea and my husband is a big coke drinker. I have not noticed an increase in my creativity levels, but too much tea makes me grumpy... :D

erik_satie_rolls
03-20-2003, 05:51 PM
Christie, thats very interesting about caffeine doing the same thing for your son as Ritalin. Have you ever had raspberry tea? Had some at lunch yesterday and it was excellent!

erik

Christie
03-20-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by erik_satie_rolls
Christie, thats very interesting about caffeine doing the same thing for your son as Ritalin. Have you ever had raspberry tea? Had some at lunch yesterday and it was excellent!

erik

I have had raspberry tea and i like it alot. :)

blkros
04-02-2003, 09:17 AM
CAFFEINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can't live with out it. (I know I'm addicted--don't care-- it's alot better than my previous addictions.)
I don't know if it affects my artwork, probably it does on some level, but then so does life in general. :)

artcolony1
04-13-2003, 10:17 PM
Caffeine, I can take it or leave it. I can drink a whole pot and crash out for the night. I usually have soda in the house but I prefer tea.

As for my work, I need caffeine for it. If the project takes me three days then I don't sleep or eat for three days. (This is why I had to limit the size of my work.) Projects seem to consume me so I don't feel that I'm addicted to caffeine. I'm addicted to the work.

james.bishop
04-25-2003, 02:54 AM
wake up slowly get out of bed plod towards the kitchen find the light switch where's the kitchen sink gone oh there it is silly me turn on the water turn it off again need something to put water in find a pot there's one ok turn on the water fill the pot turn off the water put the pot on the stove concentrate concentrate to not forget to turn the thing on this time wait wait wait look at the current painting it doesn't seem to have progressed since I went to bed wait wait wait turn on the news they're talking too fast wait wait wait oh the water's boiling put the water in the coffee pot no silly put the coffee in the coffee pot then the water then wait can't be bothered to wait any more push down the plunger and pour a cup settle down

in a chair the warmness

hits the lips the tongue the throat the dusty

roasty

nutty taste

fills my mouth my mind and

suddenly

i think

everything's going

to be all right

after all

:)

jcpower
04-25-2003, 09:26 PM
Hi Y'all,
Interesting discussion. I've been drinking coffee since I was 6 years old. And I'm not talking that wimpy American coffee. In Puerto Rico the strength is about 5 to 10 times stronger! In PR it is cultural to drink coffee from childhood. It is also customary to invite a person that shows up to a cup or two, so my grandmother would have a cup with each guest, and sometimes ended drinking 10 or more cups. Anyway, I can stop drinking coffee whenever I want with no ill effects. But my mother-in-law gets a headache if she doesn't have that first cup. Go figure.:)

erik_satie_rolls
04-30-2003, 08:06 AM
It's nice to see so many others addicted and even in some cases in denial about caffeine as I struggle to drink 1/4 caffeine coffee mixed with 3/4 decaf. On vacation last week, I ended up with regular coffee which culminated on a Sunday caffeine high brought on by at least 3 cups of the 'Leaded' stuff just before church. Do the words '3 a.m. infomercial' mean anything to you? ;)

Now Im finally back on my 'prescription dose' and sleeping through my morning exercise routine. That's why they have those safety devices on the treadmills, I guess.

erik

LAartist
06-05-2003, 03:02 PM
Well I never even knew about this area of the forum, but I am sure happy to have stumbled in here... I started to read this thread while drinking a cup of coffee :) Which I love, and after the first cup really makes me pumped about living life! But the second cup if even a few hours after the first puts me way over the top, makes me too sensitive and I canīt handle it!!!

Although this is a great conversation about coffee, I am so happy to have read about this HSP thing. I have never heard that term before, so when I read it, I searched the internet, took a test and found out that Iīm not so weird after all! So Erik, I just wanted to thank you for mentioning it. I think I can now be on a journey of accepting that my sensitivity is real and valid, instead of always feeling so bad about it. Anyway I send a huge thank you to you.

Best Wishes!

gillyvu
06-05-2003, 07:12 PM
Well, one time during the year we had a speaker come. I don't remember her name, but remember she was from Utah. She was talked about the human brain. A lot about impulses, drug/alcohol effects on it, and how you become smarter etc. Well, she talked about caffeine. I don't remember what part, or chemicals in the barin(my memory is quite bad), but she said that caffeine replinishes part of this chemical that your brain should naturally produce. But after years, and years of drinking cofee everyday, the brain stops supplying it because you are externally. So, if you stop drinking your brain will no longer be functioning properly. It's the same thing for alcohol/drug addictions (but they make the happy part of your brain stop producing the happy chemicals), thats' why former addicts usually go into depression.

paintergirl
06-06-2003, 08:58 AM
Mmmm ...I love my coffee!

First thing in the morning, the scent of that first pot brewing...paradise...
I am an ardent fan of both Starbuck's and Tim Horton's .

I am the girl that will tell the waitress to leave the coffee pot with a straw and take the cup away ...

Last time I had to have blood drawn, I told the nurse in jest that I might bleed caffeine instead...she just looked at me a little bewildered. (* snorting* Probably one of those herbal tea drinkers...he he );)

I don't know how or if it effects my creativity . I do know , however, that when I settle in for a serious period of painting , I like to have things ready...including a fresh 2-cupper mug of coffee.
If I want keep painting into the night, I will make a fresh pot. Yet - If I need to sleep , I can... caffeine doesn't leave me sleepless.

calvo
06-09-2003, 07:28 AM
After one seizure and three episodes of supraventricular tachycardia related to caffeine consumption, I was permanently "decaffeinated". After years, I still miss it: just the smell of brewing coffee sets me to salivating like Pavlov's dog. I'm even less tolerable early in the morning than I was when my usual start for the day was to stir six tablespoonsful of instant coffee into a large glass of cold water and drink that while I waited for the coffee to brew. As far as its effect on my creativity, I can't say there was much change. For some of us caffeine is good, for some, neutral, and for some, bad.

Have a cup for me!

Calvo

Keith Russell
06-09-2003, 05:44 PM
Greetings:

I occasionally drink coffee in the fall and winter (love iced-mocha), but my caffeine drink of choice is Cola.

I've read that caffeine helps brain cells bind together better, and thus 'fire' more rapidly. I've also read that there are other benefits.

Caffeine is a drug, but so is apsirin, and countless other legal, and beneficial, substances.

Some addictions are good!

K

erik_satie_rolls
08-03-2003, 03:43 PM
Since I got back onto coffee, I've discovered that it's cheaper than zoloft, and tastes better. ;)

DanaT
08-10-2003, 11:21 AM
As I partake of my second jumbo cup.

I tell myself I can't live without it but I have and probably will again.

If caffeine were such a boon to my creativity then I'd be the most prolific person on earth. :D

Seriously tho, it has some effect. I just can't figure out what.

Bendaini
09-22-2003, 11:59 AM
I've never been much for coffee. I like it on rainy days, and I like cold coffee sometimes. I have gotten to where I don;t like soda either (too much sugar)

I mostly drink water now, it's better for you and gets rid of this thirst I seem to always have.

Anyway, my sis-in-law never drank coffee. She never drank water either. In fact the only thing she ever drank was Mountain Dew.... 24/7, there is always one in her hand.

It was her breakfast... so much so that if she doesn't get one soon after getting up she is a worse (insert proper mean name here) then she is usually. She can't (or won't) consentrate, and she can't stand the sound of anyone's voice. I learned rather quickly to leave her alone in the mornings....

That;s why I don't let my kids anywhere near that mountain dew...

impressionist2
09-23-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by calvo
After one seizure and three episodes of supraventricular tachycardia related to caffeine consumption, I was permanently "decaffeinated". After years, I still miss it: just the smell of brewing coffee sets me to salivating like Pavlov's dog. I'm even less tolerable early in the morning than I was when my usual start for the day was to stir six tablespoonsful of instant coffee into a large glass of cold water and drink that while I waited for the coffee to brew. As far as its effect on my creativity, I can't say there was much change. For some of us caffeine is good, for some, neutral, and for some, bad.

Have a cup for me!

Calvo

Just a word of warning. My daughter used to drink coffee you could stand a spoon up in. So strong that I could not drink it, and I Love coffee and am a caffeine addict.

She was smoking while she was on the pill. PS: Now she has ectopic ventricular, which means she can Never have caffeine again. She admitted she was stupid, when the warnings are all over the place about the pill and smoking. Well, after my years of warning her about smoking, something finally stopped her. She's fine as long as she lays off the caffeine.

I am still up at midnight and I get about 6 hours of sleep each night. I have so much caffeine induced energy, my friends say they can't keep up with me. I've already had the nuclear heart tests, so I know all is well.

I think if I stopped drinking caffeine, I'd probably be in bed at 8 pm.

You know you are a caffeine addict when you try decaffeinated soda and pour it down the sink! :D

Renee

Mahkar
03-01-2004, 10:18 PM
I've been drinking coffee since I was around 12. I needed it just to stay awake from ages 15-21, due to the drowsy side effects of the prescription drugs I was on at the time. The amount has varied on a month to month basis, but my current average is 3 or 4 cups a day. I love the flavor, especially when it's high quality, and or espresso based (but alas, my current budget keeps me away from the better kinds). I have noticed negative side effects when I drink too much too quickly, and after about 2 hours without coffee, I begin to go through "withdrawal" symptoms (headaches, blurred vision, anxiety, fatigue, grumpiness), which go away after another hour or two. A year ago, I switched to just decaf for 3 months and am contemplating switching again, for good (getting tired of the nightly "withdrawal" time). Once my body adjusted to minimal amounts of caffeine, I had more energy than with the caffeine. When I got enough sleep, I didn't notice any difference in creativity or artistic skill. It was when my schedule temporarily caused me to get no more than 5-6 hours of sleep every night (average of 4), that I started drinking coffee again, so that I could function properly. The ideal solution would be to get enough sleep and kill the caffeine. I gotta have my coffee, but I can learn to live with decaf, again. Till that day comes, I will continue to wake up and incoherently stumble my way into the kitchen in a desperate attempt to get a wonderful, life-giving cup of coffee.

--Mahkar--

Epicurea
03-02-2004, 03:28 AM
Coffee or other caffeine on a daily basis is almost a must for me. I find that even just 2 or 3 mugs per day will affect me considerably, gets me going and can make the difference between a productive day and nonproductive one.

Haven't been diagnosed as HSP, but there's no doubt...have so many of the classic signs, I'm either HSP or bonkers. :D Though "diagnosed" may be the wrong word to use, because literature on HSP says it's not a disorder, dysfunction, disease, etc.; rather a personality type/trait common to %15 to %20 of the population. It includes, among other things, hyper-sensitivity to sensory and emotional stimuli, processing/reflecting on/responding to incoming information differently (more carefully or more deeply, both conciously and unconciously), and a tendency to easily become overstimulated & need more "quiet time" to recuperate. Having been told repeatedly (incessantly!) throughout your life that you're "too sensitive" (or emotional or intense) is pretty much a sure sign.

Found this quote on the subject & thought interested parties might want to read. It's insightful for HSP artists, definitely struck a chord with me, though the use of the word "abnormal" is generally considered not helpful (or correct) when dealing with highly sensitive personalities, particularly children.

Pearl S. Buck, (1892-1973), recipient of the Pulitzer Prize in 1932 and of the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1938, said the following about Highly Sensitive People:

"The truly creative mind in any field is no more than this:
A human creature born abnormally, inhumanly sensitive.

To him...

a touch is a blow,
a sound is a noise,
a misfortune is a tragedy,
a joy is an ecstasy,
a friend is a lover,
a lover is a god,
and failure is death.

Add to this cruelly delicate organism the overpowering necessity to create, create, create - - - so that without the creating of music or poetry or books or buildings or something of meaning, his very breath is cut off from him. He must create, must pour out creation. By some strange, unknown, inward urgency he is not really alive unless he is creating."

-- Pearl S. Buck

Cassandra