PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Holland

bnoonan
02-07-2003, 11:43 AM
I have to say that I'm only here to update you on my wonderful trip. Yesterday I spent 30 minutes in a room of the museum with The Girl with the Pearl Earring - by vermeer. She spoke to me and said to tell hello to everyone on WC

Each day I visit at least one museum and have been thrilled to see so many fabulous artists.

I'm afraid I won't have time to check your artwork but I trust it is going well.

No need to respond to this message.

Barb

Ps: I found a source for Schmincke pastels in this tiny town and can't wait to get home to use them.

B

jackiesimmonds
02-07-2003, 12:55 PM
How wonderful to see that painting. I heartily recommend the book "girl with a pearl earing" which is based on the painting of that painting - it is a most lovely, atmospheric book, which so beautifully describes the Holland of that time, and the relationship between Vermeer and his model (and his wife!). It is only short, but a most delightful read.

Jackie

angecald
02-08-2003, 01:22 AM
Barb, thanks for your post. More than 20 years ago I stood in that very room, an experience I've never forgotten. I remember especially the "Maidservant Pouring Milk" with the little bit of impasto on her cap. It was spring and there were hordes of tourists in front of Rembrandt's "Night Watch" but I had "The Jewish Bride" all to myself for as long as I wanted, and I think I was alone with the Vermeers as well, almost as if they'd been painted just for me. Isn't Amsterdam wonderful?