PDA

View Full Version : Wolf portrait in pastels (WIP)

wildhawk
01-29-2011, 06:59 PM
I started this portrait of a gray wolf this week - I am using pastel board, Rembrandt (soft) and Conte pencils. I want to enter this piece in a juried pastel show, but this will be the first time entering a juried show. Feedback is welcome. I hope to complete it this weekend.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2011/191646-WolfForEJ_4CI.jpg

rickycorbett
01-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Hi Barbara,

I have never drawn an animal before (mostly because I don't feel confident). I do love animal portraits and I must say that this is abolutely beautiful.

Those eyes are piercing and mesmerizing. The detail in the fur is incredible. I can't wait to see more of this amazing and powerful piece.

Good luck with the show!!! To me, this is already going to be a winner!

~Ricky :)

wildhawk
01-31-2011, 10:20 AM
Ricky,
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. I really appreciate it! I have always loved drawing animals - especially wildlife subjects. I spent most of my career in commercial art and now I am turning my focus to fine art, so I am still on unsure ground as an artist. These forums are great for critique and feedback, and hearing from wonderful artists such as you :)

jemgold
02-09-2011, 09:42 AM
This is looking great - love your technique. Only thing i see and its really knit picky. The left eye pupil looks smaller than the other -(may not be in real life). I love pastel for animals. I use the sanded papers with a watercolor underpainting. Looking forward to seeing the finished painting.

wildhawk
02-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Thank you for your wonderful comments. I posted this on the pastel forum and totally forgot to update you all on this forum. My portait of “Waya” is now complete and entered in two shows. So I will post up a pic of the finished piece here as well. And yes, I notice the pupils early on and corrected, thanks for the feedback:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Feb-2011/191646-WayaForWebsite.jpg

BARBARAM
02-14-2011, 04:15 AM
Hi Barbara

Wolf portrait in pastels

Your wolf is really beautiful, at the moment I just concentrate on cats and dogs (and luck). Good Luck with the show if I'm not too late.

BarnaraM

wildhawk
02-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Thank you for your kind comments and I am happy to report that Waya took first place out of 77 entries at my local art society show. So hopefully I can get him in the juried competition as well:)

bluemoonstar
02-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Thank you for your kind comments and I am happy to report that Waya took first place out of 77 entries at my local art society show. So hopefully I can get him in the juried competition as well:)Congratulations! It's a well-deserved win! :clap: A beautiful piece. Good luck with taking it to the next level :crossfingers:

wildhawk
02-20-2011, 07:38 AM
Thank you bluemoonstar - I will let you know if he gets into the juried show, but I am very happy to know he was chosen for first at our local show. I love wolves and birds of prey in particular, and pastels is one of my favorite mediums to work in. Your work is beautiful too btw!:)

bluemoonstar
02-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Thank you bluemoonstar - ...Your work is beautiful too btw!:)
Thank you! Means a lot coming from a talented painter like yourself! :)

inkslinger427
03-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Beautiful work Wildhawk! Pastels are great for doing wildlife work, aren't they? I see alot of very talented people using this medium for wildlife work. and yours is simply wonderful! That calm dignified look you captured is marvelous!

wildhawk
03-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Thank you very much for your nice comments on Waya. Unfortunately, Waya did not get selected for the juried show, but my pastel of a tiger, “One Last Look” did! This is my first juried show and it is regional, so I am excited beyond words!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2011/191646-OneLastLookForWeb.jpg

FoggyMountain
04-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Congratulations Barbara. Both pieces are equally superb.

Maureen M
05-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Wonderful work Wildhawk.

gumtreefriends
09-16-2012, 03:33 AM
Your work is lovely Barbara. And congrats on your tiger picture making it into the show! I love both pieces and the tiger looks striking on the dark paper.

I've only just started using soft pastel this year and love working on black paper. I use some colored pencil in my pieces too.

All the best,
Geri

chammi kaiser
10-05-2012, 08:16 AM
Congratulations Barbara. Both paintings are excellent but I must admit if I were on the jury, my vote would have gone to your wolf!

Paul Hopkinson
09-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Wow, a superb drawing with lovely colours!

wakeup&create!
11-05-2014, 11:20 PM
gorgeous pastel painting! did u post this to the soft pastel forums at all? if you haven't you definitely should, I'm sure everyone over there would love to assess this bad boy. the wolf almost looks "cute" to me, for some reason... i wonder why... i think it has something to do with its snout. It's snout makes it look cute.. or, whatever cute looks like to my subconscious mind, lol. the tiger, on the other hand, that tiger looks so majestic. they're both amazing, to me. Love em both.

and i am so so sooo glad to see someone creating fine art with ONLY soft/dry pastels that many pastel snobs would refer to as "under painting pastels" lol. screw that. i am sooo happy to see that you've made two amazing paintings, and your even entered them into a pastel contest, and one of them was accepted, and they were created with REMBRANDTS, and CONTE crayons!! that makes me giddy, with a little tickle in my chest/stomach, to see that you're doing some seriously amazing and awesome work with pastels that many would call "hard" ........ppffffffttttt... hard? don't tell me that rems are too hard, because they aren't. Rembrandts are soft enough to be the top layer, over conte crayons. Nupastels are soft enough to go over conte crayons too. rems and Nupastels are both soft pastels capable of creating entire pastel painting. period! period!! haha.

you can do an entire painting with rems or nus, and it can come out great. end.
this came out really great bro. really great. and the tiger is awesome too bud. cool. cool paintings. i like your choice of pastel brands, haha. keep it up.

chammi kaiser
01-11-2015, 04:50 AM
Beautiful eyes.

Vivien Maloney
01-11-2015, 09:28 PM
Both the wolf and tiger portraits are beautifully rendered!
Love them both but I must admit, my choice is for the wolf too!

Medical-Artist
01-15-2015, 08:28 PM
Hi Barbara,

"Waya" is beautiful. I have a little Cherokee heritage and love the title! AND the subject matter! I've been fascinated with wolves my whole life and have been slowly planning a oil based on the same subject matter.

What did you use for your reference?

If you have as strong an interest as I do in these great creatures, take a drive south to Naples and visit shywolfsancuary (shywolfsantuary.com) I went last year and after interacting hand to paw with some of the residents received a kiss and neck nuzzle from the nashoba! Plenty of chances to get some original reference photos and help out a worthy cause!

Visited your website as well, particularly like your figure work. Eager to see more of your work in the future.

Yannse
01-23-2015, 10:29 PM
Both paintings are wonderful!I love the wolf.

Myse
02-04-2016, 12:39 PM
I love the wolf! Bravo!

Boafamily
08-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Conrats and nice job of both of these heads