PDA

View Full Version : Holbien or Cretacolor?

EastDevil
02-07-2003, 08:18 AM
Dear all,

As I am unable to find NuPastels here in Singapore which so many has recommended as the hard pastel, what about Holbien or Cretacolor as a substitute? Any feedback on these two brands please. Thanks!

regards,

Michael Chan

rd2ruin
02-07-2003, 01:05 PM
Michael,

I've never used Holbien, but I'm happy with my CretaColors. They are a little harder than NuPastels. These were done with CretaColors...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84574
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85258
http://www.mindspring.com/~motlasz/wip.html

I've used NuPastels in the past (the flowers on my web page are NuPastels), and would definately recommend Cretacolor if you can't find Nupastels in your area. I might permanently move towards Cretacolors in the future for my hard pastel needs.

Cheers!
- Greg

KarenU
02-07-2003, 02:41 PM
I recently got a set of Holbiens and I was totally surprised at how soft they are compared to my NuPastels. While I really like the Holbiens, I wouldn't recommend them as an alternative to NuPastel.

How about FABER-CASTELL POLYCHROMOS, are those available in your area? I found those to be similar to the NuPastel.

Zyrka
02-07-2003, 03:31 PM
I don't know Nupastels and tried Cretacolors (very nice) and not being in the US I often wonder what areall these pastels that so are often mentioned here. In Belgium, the most available ones are Rembrandt (I don't like them) and W&N (love them) but ... despite substantial investment I always go back to the Carré Conté (round or square and Harld Pastels). I go back to them because they are very easy to blend, don't scratch the paper and are so wonderfully clean (I'm a lazy couch drawer ...). From friends around the world I heard that the W&N and the Contés are available about anywhere. I hope this helps !
Zyrka

Mikki Petersen
02-07-2003, 11:47 PM
I've never used Creta Color because I have Nupastels, but I know Holbiens are a whole breed away from harder sticks. Holbiens are very soft and buttery. Better go with the Creta Color for a harder paste or with pastel pencils.

EastDevil
02-08-2003, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the comments, guys!

Here in Singapore, these are what I manage to find:

1) Rembrandt - very well stocked with sets and individuals.

2) Cretacolor - pretty well stocked.

3) Holbien - as much as Cretacolor.

4) Art Spectrum - there's a distributor here but I don't see it in shops.

5) NuPastels - I saw a few sticks lying in a shop (a few = 20-30 random leftovers). I think they are not going to be restocked as I see some kind of withdrawal of Prismacolor products.

6) Winsor & Newton - a couple sets of 24s.

I don't see anything else so far besides these.

Michael

EastDevil
02-08-2003, 09:11 AM
Greg,

How do you find Cretacolor in terms of quality?

Michael

Mikki Petersen
02-08-2003, 12:11 PM
The Rembrandt are not as firm as NuPastel and Cretacolor, but they are a good all around pastel. Hard enough to shape and soft enough to blend well AND they come in a vast variety of colors. Art Spectrum are another very soft pastel.

rd2ruin
02-09-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by EastDevil
Greg,

How do you find Cretacolor in terms of quality?

Michael

This is a little long, since CretaColor is a fairly new product from what I've seen, and not a lot of people have used them (at least here in the States).

I would say they are artist quality, but you might want to find a real artist to second that opinion. Cretacolor's been round the block for years making top notch graphites and they've put out a nice collection of pastels. The only downside compared to Nupastels is that the largest set is only 72 colors, which I have ... Nupastel has a 96 color set. Could've used some more lighter colors, as it's a little heavy on the browns and dark colors.

On the plus side, they are very vibrant, very clean (compared to NuPastels) and very workable. You'd expect some loss of pigmetation with all the binder, but I haven't noticed it. Very blendable. I use Bristol paper or the 'shiny' sides of 100lb paper, so I can't tell you how they work on a toothed surface. They do not, however, go over soft pastels well for me, but I lay my Senniliers down very, VERY heavy!

Dont get me wrong, I'm still in love with NuPastels, and perhaps I was a little spoiled with the 96 color set I had. I accidently left them in Atlanta when I moved to Philly. My friends bought me these for Christmas, so I guess you can say CretaColors have become my mistress. ;)

For a pretty decent overview of pastel brands, refer to http://www.capecodpastelsociety.com/suppl.html

Hope that sheds some light.

Cheers!
- Greg

EastDevil
02-11-2003, 06:05 AM
Greg,

I just bought the 72-colour set of Cretacolor hard pastels. So far, it seems pretty good. It feels harder than the few (10) sticks of NuPastels that I bought the other day. So far, I like the Cretacolor better although this could be due to it being a new buy. :D

Michael