PDA

View Full Version : Marine art

bobsart
03-13-2000, 05:19 PM
Are there any diehard marine artists from from the northeast who are members of this forum?

J.Dillon
03-22-2000, 09:53 AM
Hi Bob,

Just joined. I'm from the NE and do ships sq riggers and started lighthouses.

paintfool
03-23-2000, 12:23 AM
Bob & J.Dillon, thought you might want to know that there is a short overview of Marine art in the April edition of the 'American Artist' magazine. it also lists some resources.....Cheryl

bobsart
03-23-2000, 07:07 PM
Cheryl,
Thank you for that bit of info, I will look for it at the local bookstore.

J Dillon,
Welcome to the forum. I just joined myself.
I share the same interests as you in addition to aviation subjects. Did you ever paint Nubble light house in Maine? That's one of four projects I'm doing at the moment. I have some art work posted in the MSN web site http://communities.msn.com/art in the photo album listed under "things I like". Looking forward to continuing our cyber friendship.

bob

paintfool
03-24-2000, 01:45 AM
Bob, i went to the website you posted & looked at your work...Breathtaking!....couldn't even come close to choosing a favorite. your untitled acrylic (first attempt at acrylic) really?? left me feeling chilled & damp! Thanks for the tour. I enjoyed it immensly!...Cheryl

babsalaba2
03-24-2000, 09:07 AM
Wow, I loved the clipper ships and the still lifes. I have usually done still lifes, but since I have recently moved to the Chesapeake Bay, have decided that it would be a shame not to take advantage of the scenery.
My grandfather painted several ships, and my other grandfather held a lifelong interest in ship building, so I have always been surrounded by marine art. It's a challenging subject, but you have rendered them beautifully. I'm in awe...

J.Dillon
03-24-2000, 10:55 AM
Bob looked at your web site. Wow!! your'e great. I would like to see more of your ship work as well as the lighthouses. I just stated them and have only done three none in Maine. Take a look over in the "Critique" section. I also have two ships . See what you think.

sandyartist
03-24-2000, 08:11 PM
Alrighty now Mr. Bob..OK..you are good at this stuff...had your ego trip...we know each other..right? Jus' been to the outer bank area of NC..must say the rendering of the waves is right on!! I am quite impressed with the use of acrylic, which, personally is a cut above caca for me..muddy color, et al....hats off m'man..HATE acrylics..personal choice...looks like plastic to me man! Sandy

bobsart
03-28-2000, 10:28 AM
Cheryl,
Thank you for your kind words. Yes it really is my first acrylic. Number two is on the easel right now. I've never had any one say my seascapes made them feel damp or chilled. I did have someone say that they could almost smell the citrus from my oranges. That's why I don't paint farm scenes with outhouses in them....bob

Babsalaba,
Thank you for your vote of confidence. With your enviable background as such, your comments have great value to me. Take advantage of your location. I live near Chicago. Lake Michigan doesn't always speak the language of the sea...bob

JD,
Thanks for looking. Your comments are well appreciated. I mentioned Maine because I took a trip there last September. I went from Boston to as far north as Portland Me.
I think I'm in love. I brought back some real estate booklets. Anyway, I photographed Nubble and Portland head houses for future work. Right now I have USS Constitution and civil war ironclad USS Canonicus on the sketch pads and I have an acrylic still life on the easle. Check the critique discussions. I commented on your work..bob

Sandy,
You found me!! I wondered how long it would take. You didn't tell Punch where I am did you? I have a photograph I took about 12 years ago with Hiltonhead lighthouse behind me. I'll have to scan it for you. It's worthy of making a greeting card out of. Nice hearing from you...bob

babsalaba2
03-28-2000, 01:15 PM
Hey Bob, if you're interested in Maine (I'm from New England originally), you ought to visit Rockland. There is a lighthouse museum there, plus opportunities to visit the islands. Also, the interior of the state is awfully nice as well. My mom's family is from the region north of Bangor. We spent just about every summer there or in Vermont, New Hampshire & Quebec.

bobsart
03-28-2000, 01:59 PM
Hey Babs,

We, the Mrs. and I plan on going again this September. We will spend the entire time north of Portland this time. I want to spend some time near rocky coastlines. I think you can help me. I'll seek your support when we begin our plans this summer.

Bob