PDA

View Full Version : An award which you helped me get

Katherine J
02-04-2003, 05:57 PM
Remember this pear painting, where I had done three and asked for your input as to your favourite? Well, it was one of two I recently had accepted into a juried group show in Vancouver (BC) and it has won an Award of Excellence. No money involved but a nice honour considering these are my first ever pieces in a juried show. Thanks to all of you who helped me get there!

Katherine

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2003/2182-Pear_Gathering_1.jpg

Mo.
02-04-2003, 06:00 PM
Super news!!! Congratulations on your award, it's well deserved. Feel proud! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

cheers,
Mo.

Bkargraves
02-04-2003, 06:35 PM
I am so excited for you Katherine. I myself have never had the courage to enter a juried show. Bet you do it more often now right. I can see why it gained this honor. It is very pretty.

KarenU
02-04-2003, 08:39 PM
wooo hoooo Katherine...congratulations!!! You deserve every bit of that award! :D

CarlyHardy
02-04-2003, 09:22 PM
Congratulations!!
I know this will be the first of many awards to come!
carly

Nori
02-04-2003, 11:02 PM
I love that piece! I am so glad it won the recognition.

Mikki Petersen
02-05-2003, 12:35 AM
Well deserved! this is a beautiful painting. Congratulations on having the courage to enter, then lots more congratulations for winning an award. What a nice affirmation of your talent.

angecald
02-05-2003, 12:41 AM
Congratulations! Just getting into a juried show is an achievement, and an award yet! This is the first time I've seen that picture, and it's a beauty.

jackiesimmonds
02-05-2003, 02:19 AM
Not the least bit surprised, but very pleased for you.
Jackie

Dark_Shades
02-05-2003, 02:30 AM
Nice one Katherine J

doe
02-05-2003, 07:42 AM
Congrats! I remember this, not surprised it got in!:)

Luvy
02-05-2003, 12:28 PM
Wow Karen Congrats *S* And I love the technique in this.

Hope I do as well at the State Fair. It starts tomorrow. Took my paintings in almost a month ago. (crossing my fingers)

guilliame
02-05-2003, 05:11 PM
Hi Katherine J .I remember them all but this was my fav so congrats from me too, as been said before you really deserve it:clap: :clap: .

Katherine J
02-06-2003, 12:22 PM
Thanks to all of your for your compliments and congratulations. I think this is a fine example of what WetCanvas can do for all of us.

Katherine

Dima
02-06-2003, 12:28 PM
Great pastel, Katherine, deserves a prize!!!!!!!!!

Dick

meowmeow
02-06-2003, 03:59 PM
Congratulations! I can see why...it is a beautiful painting. You should be very proud!

:clap:

Sandy

chookbrown
02-06-2003, 04:05 PM
Congrats Katherine!!! This is so lovely a piece and very deserving of the award!!!!

Chooky :D:D:D

sundiver
02-06-2003, 04:20 PM
I loved all your pear pictures. Congratulations! :clap:

Katherine J
02-06-2003, 08:26 PM
Thanks to all of those who've arrived since my last thanks! - you're all very generous in your praise and support.

Katherine

Katherine J
02-07-2003, 06:05 PM
Got another call today to say that this painting sold, the first one to sell in the four-day-old exhibition. And apparently the gallery let the purchaser take it away before the exhibition closes because she was so adamant about wanting it now! That was a nice way to start my weekend as it's the first time I've sold from an exhibit.

Katherine

Mikki Petersen
02-07-2003, 06:58 PM
Well Congratulations again Katherine! You must be walking on air just about now. What a great confidence booster!

sunny
02-07-2003, 07:26 PM
Katherine...hope I'm not too late to give you my congragulations..now its a well deserving double congragulations!!!

Truely happy for you.

KarenU
02-07-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Katherine J
Got another call today to say that this painting sold, the first one to sell in the four-day-old exhibition. And apparently the gallery let the purchaser take it away before the exhibition closes because she was so adamant about wanting it now! That was a nice way to start my weekend as it's the first time I've sold from an exhibit.

Katherine

What fabulous news...I am just thrilled for you!! :D

doe
02-08-2003, 07:53 AM
What wonderful news! Will they let you put another painting in since the buyer insisted on taking it with her?

Katherine J
02-08-2003, 02:49 PM
Thanks Mikki, Sunny, Karen and Doe - it certainly was a good feeling. Doe, I actually had two pieces accepted for this show (another nice surprise), so I still have one hanging. This is also the first time I've sold to a stranger, which for some reason was a kind of goal for me. I wonder if others feel that way.

Katherine

Mikki Petersen
02-08-2003, 06:55 PM
Heck yeah, I understand that feeling. Family and friends have to be nice, strangers don't owe you anything! Not that I sell my stuff. I just give it away to anyone who will promise to hang it. I'm running out of storage places.

doe
02-09-2003, 08:48 AM
Glad to hear you still have one painting hanging.

Oh yes, it's wonderful to sell to strangers, it gives you some validation that you're on the right track and confidence to paint more. Family members tend to take the paintings for granted and don't always provide appropriate feedback.

Luvy
02-09-2003, 09:25 AM
Wow Karen great going. This next festival we can put a price on the artwork to sell. So boy am I wondering what to do with that LOL Also wondering if I should go with two pastels or and one Oil painting or 2 oils and 1 pastel LOL You can only put 2 in one catagory. Have to submit the art work Feb 24th.

Maybe I can get lucky and someone will buy one of mine LOL I'm so glad to hear of your success. Makes me feel more confident too. Does that make sense?

Katherine J
02-09-2003, 12:48 PM
Glad to hear you understand my wanting to sell to a stranger Mikki and Doe. I haven't sold to any family members, but several to friends who are almost as biased as family!

I know what you mean about storage, Mikki. One of my favourite storage methods is using a skirt hanger. I put pieces of bubble plastic under the clips then hang the pastels with glasine (never can spell that word) between them.

Luvy you've got some big decisions to make and I do understand what you mean about confidence! Good luck.

Katherine

Mikki Petersen
02-09-2003, 01:26 PM
Katherine, that is a great tip! I'll have to try it. I spray glue my paper to foam core board before I begin so I have rigid surface to work on. I do wrap in glassine after completed if I can't frame it right away. At this point, I'm using the bathtub in my guest bath as a storage space, LOL! And it's getting full.