PDA

View Full Version : Oil pastel... Holbein vs. Sennelier

TheThirdDan
02-04-2003, 04:27 PM
I swear by Sennelier oil pastels,
but I was wondering if anyone has used both sennelier & holbein oil pastels, and can discuss the differences beteween.

(or if anyone has a oil pastel they prefer over senneliers, I'd like to hear that also)

Dan (3rd)

trill4ian2
02-04-2003, 06:46 PM
Though I'm still saving up for my set of senneliers I've heard many oil pastelists regard them as the creme de la creme. How long have you been using them and which set do you best recommend for starters?

TheThirdDan
02-04-2003, 07:05 PM
I recomend just getting a set of 12 senneliers to start (~$25 USD).
cheap oil pastels are really really bad. Very hard to blend, hard to get color down with.

trill4ian2
02-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Don't need to tell me twice, even on very toothy paper they're hard to work with, so terribly waxy. It's no wonder people are put off of them. But I still prefer them to soft pastels, which makes me an astounding minority.

sundiver
02-05-2003, 06:29 PM
I only have a couple of Sennelliers. and they are iridescents, but I love my Holbeins. They are firmer than Senneliers, velvety rather than lipsticky. Application feels a lot like a soft pastel (without the dust). I have about 20 Holbeins, and want more, but I also want at least a few more Sennelliers.

TheThirdDan
02-05-2003, 06:38 PM
can you layer them?
it's harder to layer the senneliers.
I end up haveing to blend more with them.

D (3)

sundiver
02-05-2003, 07:36 PM
I think they layer quite well.
This one has a lot of layering:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80671

TheThirdDan
02-05-2003, 07:46 PM
how are they to blend with then?
can you smudge them around with your finger, or do you need turps?

D(3)

sundiver
02-05-2003, 09:50 PM
They are easy to smudge with fingers, color-shapers, tortillions.

kalibahlu
07-15-2013, 10:12 AM
Wendy, I know it's years later, but want to thank you for posting this info. Your paintings are beautiful! Are these all done in Holbein oil pastels? I've not seen this level of oil pastel work before, and I'm so happy to know this it's possible! I love soft pastels, but the dust makes them inconvenient, so I've been hoping OPs are going to be worth spending time with, and after seeing your work, I'm so inspired! Thank you for posting.

spectrum1
02-24-2014, 06:07 PM
I would agree my Holbeins are a lot "drier" than my Senneliers, but still excellent for painting with. As you know, due to costs you don't get rid of your other sticks just because you finally get a set of Senneliers. I tend to mix up using them over time.

Flycatcher10
02-25-2014, 06:15 PM
Yes, you are right Spectrum - I also mix my oil pastels up and usually will use three or four brands in one painting. All depends on the surface and subject, and sometimes just because I like a particular color.