PDA

View Full Version : Joan's Visual Journal for the Strathmore Workshops

Joan T
01-21-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm skipping over the first two pages I did in the visual journal. They need quite a bit of work before I'll show them here.

I decided to do pages about the wonderful locations I've spent time visiting. This 2 page spread is Key West. I started with a bright yellow watercolor covering the pages. I used color copies of several sketches/paintings I had done in Key West (hibiscus, lady at a bar, house with bouganvilla). I also used layers of lime colored paper (a big KW color), a menu and assorted printed material about KW in black and white. Here's how it looked then.

Joan T
01-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Next I added some shadows with charcoal and inktense pencils. I deepened the colors and I think the bouganvilla grew a little. lol Then I went over my writing with a gold metallic gel pen. To fill in the empty spaces I used dots made with the metallic gold and green pens. I like how it is coming along. What do you think? I think the next lesson is on adding text.

eyepaint
01-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Cool work, Joan :) Love the additions

RainySea
01-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Way cool, Joan!!! Love how the plant around the house 'grew'. . . that is awesome. And the background. You have inspired me to get a work on my week three. . . I was tempted to use some glitter pen I have even though it was not in the lesson and I think I will go ahead :) :thumbsup:

azulparsnip
01-21-2011, 06:20 PM
that is some good creative play, Joan

DrDebby
01-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Great pages. I love how the bougainvillea grew. :lol:

Eye
01-22-2011, 11:47 AM
I love the bright cheerful visual Journal of yours... So inspiring !!! :thumbsup:

vhere
01-22-2011, 06:11 PM
developing well :)

seejay
01-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Looks nice, Joan. Are you enjoying the workshops?

Pine Cone
01-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Wow! This is so cool Joan!!! Thanks for posting them and describing the process. Beautiful and inspiring work.

JTMB
01-25-2011, 01:25 AM
Great stuff, Joan! Mixed media is something I haven't really gotten into yet - I have enough trouble with just one medium. :lol:

Joan T
01-25-2011, 11:51 AM
EP - Thanks.

Rainy - Thank you. I'll have to do the parts for lesson 4 yet, and maybe start another one.

Robin - The workshop is fun and different. I've already learned more than in the collage class I took last year that I paid a lot for. Thanks.

Debby - Thanks. That bouganvilla may grow more yet. lol

Ai - Thanks!

Viv - Thanks. Did you get started yet?

Chris - Thanks. The workshop is fun. I like doing the pages, and just love seeing what everyone else posts too.

Pine Cone - Thank you!

John - It is a bit different, and I'm enjoying it. Thanks.

RainySea
01-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Can't wait to see your final, Joan. And glad you are thinking of doing another one. . . I am definitely planning to try it again as I did enjoy the process. And now that I have seen where its going rather than not knowing and waiting for the next week, I think I have a better perspective for the next one.

Its fun to see how it comes together over the process, isn't it! Building and expanding a theme sort of evolves. . . well, for me it did. :)

vhere
01-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Viv - Thanks. Did you get started yet?

no - I just ran out of time sadly

virgo68
01-27-2011, 12:40 AM
Cool start Joan, those colours are "zingy" and perfect for how I imagine Key West!

Helen
02-03-2011, 02:34 PM
I love what you're doing here Joan. I didn't see these posted on your workshop page and wondered if you had done anything. What a great idea to do a page for the many places you've visited. I may steal the idea.

Joan T
02-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Rainy - Thanks. I think I've finished this one. I'll have to take a photo of how it looks now. I did start another location this morning...moving on to Paris!

Viv - Time flies...wish there was more of it.

Jackie - Thanks. Key West is one of my favorite places...so vibrant and so relaxing at the same time.

Helen - Thank you. I posted each week's stage in the Discussion under the lessons. I guess I should post it on my page too.

RainySea
02-05-2011, 09:18 PM
I'm eager to see the final!

Joan T
02-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Here is the final version of the "Key West" page. I added a bit more collaging and a title. I'm happy with the way it came out.

Joan T
02-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Next I started a Paris page. Luckily I have lots of sketches from there, as well as all sorts of things that I collected during the trip.

First I used watercolors to color the page and stamped some paint with a sponge. When that was dry I used a rubber stamp with some indecipherable print in a few areas. I included part of a journal page that I wrote while in Paris, and a piece of the metro map. I added to the color of the sketches with inktense pencils. I didn't use ops on this one.

Next I shaded around the collaged pieces with charcoal and inktense pencils.

In the third photo, I added some text and a few more collage items.

And then last I outlined the text with a gel pen, used marker to add text around the edges of the pages, and restamped parts. I think it has a Paris feel to it.

RainySea
02-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Joan, really like how you carried that plant over from one page to the other in the key west spread. I've not tried to do a two pager like that yet. . . you are motivating me!

And the Paris page is GREAT. . . I like it even more than the first, I think. The OPS makes it a bit hard if you want to go in and add text in later layers, so I think using the inktense and charcoal was a good idea. I definitely think it has a "paris" feel!

DrDebby
02-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Very bright, colorful and uplifting.

vhere
02-10-2011, 06:48 AM
it is :)

Joan T
02-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Rainy - Thank you. The problem with the watercolors and the inktense pencils is they don't stay put when you add a new wet layer over it.

Debby - Thanks so much.

Viv - Thanks!

I did a New Orleans musician for the WDE that just ended. Maybe I'll use it to start another page. I'll have to think about what else I can add.

poochemio
02-10-2011, 12:56 PM
The Paris page is fabulous!

seejay
02-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Mais oui, c'est magnifique!

Sorry, that's about the limit of my high school french, :D

Joan T
02-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Margo - Thanks so much!

Chris - Thanks. That's more than I know in French. lol

virgo68
02-13-2011, 09:27 PM
This looks so much fun Joan! Are you enjoying the workshop? Just another thing I intended to do but...... ;)

Joan T
02-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Jackie - Thanks. You can still jump in and join up. It is fun to do this for a change.

eyepaint
02-18-2011, 01:01 AM
Fun Paris spread :)

Joan T
02-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Thanks, EP!

I'm going back to the front of the journal. I worked a bit more on the first page, which is sort of the title page since this will be filled with different locations. The sketches are from "recycled" copies of a sketch I did in the train station in Florence, Italy last summer. I added color to it. I also used a stamp and airmail sticker, pluse the stiped edges from the envelope that were on a card that came from a fellow WetCanvas member who lives in Thailand. I think some of you know Ai.

Joan T
02-18-2011, 11:45 AM
This was the second page, but I'm the least happy with this one. I've gone back to it several times to try to improve it. This spread is on the Fire Island Lighthouse here on Long Island.

Joan T
02-18-2011, 11:52 AM
This next one is new and I worked on it when I met with my Wed evening group. Because of the cold weather we met at Gina's house and 4 of us worked on journaling in her studio. She's teaching a journaling class, so she showed us what she'll be doing with her classes.

I started by painting the pages with blue acrylic. Then I used strips of torn masking tape to measure out an irregular border around the edges of the pages...then added yellow acrylic. The images I used were from paintings I did. The musician was done for the WDE recently from a reference taken in New Orleans. The building is a copy of an actual painting I had done from a photo I took in New Orleans. I intensified the colors with inktense pencils and ink...added a Bourbon Street sign, & a piece of sheet music relating to New Orleans. I did some journal writing on the pages, added the text, and decorated the yellow with musical notes. I think it has a New Orleans feel now.

poochemio
02-18-2011, 03:37 PM
I can hear that horn blowing! You are making me homesick for New Orleans!

RainySea
02-18-2011, 06:40 PM
I know Ai's work and photos well. Love that cover page. Did you use OP? Or what are you using in place of the OP. . . you had mentioned in another thread (mine I think) that you were not using them because pen didn't write on them and I'm having the same issue but not sure what to sub.

Great New Orleans page!

DrDebby
02-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Wonderful page spread. I like the notes in the yellow part.

JTMB
02-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Wow, Joan, I need to comment more often here - these are great! The breadth of subjects and media you are using in your various journals in the forum is really inspiring.

Joan T
02-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Margo - I'd love to go back to New Orleans. It was so great!

Rainy - Thanks. I used ops on the cover and the lighthouse pages. Since then I'm only using the inktense pencils until I can come up with something else.

Debby - Thank you.

John - Thanks. It is fun to play with different media, but it seems like every time I do another page, I buy something new to use. lol

poochemio
02-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Aha, Joan, that got to buy new stuff, is the common lament of the mixed media art journalers!

CandAlArt
02-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Love the journaling, every page tells a story! They are more interesting than traditional scrapbooks and fun to create. Nice work!

Elain
02-23-2011, 12:35 AM
You have been busy.
Very interesting seeing the progression and reading the descrption of how you created the pages.

A great idea having the same theme. It's a terrific idea using copies of previous journal pages, isn't it.

Joan T
02-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Margo - The "got to buy" is my manta. lol When I retired from teaching I stopped spending money on clothes all the time. Now I just buy art supplies.

Candace - Thanks so much. It is funny...I took a collage class last year because I wanted to do something with all the things I saved from my trip to France. I spent a lot of money on the class, and wasn't happy with it. I've enjoyed this free class much more, and am able to do what I wanted to do all along.

Elain - Thanks. My problem is finding the original paintings to make copies of them. I can picture them in my head, but finding them is not so easy. I guess I need a better system.

Eye
02-24-2011, 02:05 AM
Wow... Gorgeous and fun pages, Joan. I esp. like the way you reuse my Thai airmail envelope. That was a surprise to me when I see it on your journal. It gives me more reason to send you variety design of airmail envelop ;-)

Ths music sheet on Orleans are so perfect for the page.

Joan T
02-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Ai - Thanks. I'm glad I save things. I started with the stamp on the envelope, but then I noticed the edges would work too. I searched through one of my husband's "fake" music books to find something for New Orleans.

Joan T
03-05-2011, 10:46 AM
The second workshop has started in the Strathmore series. The instructor showed how to make a pocket in the journal, and how to make extensions to your pages. I haven't tried the pocket, but the extensions looked like fun. I'm continuing to document my travels, so I decided to do a section for Provence. I added extensions to the right and left side of a double page in my Visual Journal. When I closed the extensions I sketched a view of the apartment we had in Provence. It spans both sides of the extension. I sketched it in pencil first and then went over the lines with a Sharpie.

Joan T
03-05-2011, 10:49 AM
This is how the inside looks. I haven't started that part yet. The last image is of what it looks like now. I collaged the building and the windows. Then I painted over some of it, added color to the flower pots, the bushes, etc. Then I outlined some of the pieces on the building.

poochemio
03-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Very cool Joan, I'm intrigued with what might go inside of your pages, I'm sure it will be fabulous!

DrDebby
03-05-2011, 10:25 PM
This is very cool. I like the mystery.

eyepaint
03-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Very cool Joan, I'm intrigued with what might go inside of your pages, I'm sure it will be fabulous!

Me too!

seejay
03-05-2011, 11:12 PM
The extensions look interesting, and your work on them is great so far. I am also wondering what you will put "inside".

I suppose this is something to do in moderation so the book doesn't get too thick...

vhere
03-06-2011, 06:19 AM
the extensions look interesting, a cool idea :>)

Joan T
03-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Margo, Debby, EP, Chris & Viv - I'm having fun with these. I will have to restrain myself and not do too many extensions because it does add a lot to the bulk of the journal.

I finished the outside of the extensions last night and did a little work on the inside. I painted a purple strip under the spirals so it would sort of blend in with the house when the extensions were closed. Then I used acrylics in yellow and an ochre color to paint the inside, sponging over the solid color with the same colors for a bit of texture. Then I found my written journal from the trip to Provence and copied some of what I wrote about the towns I visited. I did that in white gel pen. I plan on putting a few of my Provence sketches/pieces of sketches inside too. That's probably my next step.

RainySea
03-06-2011, 02:38 PM
the outside looks so beautiful. . . can't wait for a peek at the inside. It sounds great!

OOps, now the inside page loaded, didn't see that before. Love the yellow/gold

DrDebby
03-06-2011, 06:58 PM
I like the inside being writing. The colors and processes are fascinating.

poochemio
03-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Oh you clever girl Joan! You know since these books are spiral they will expand and you can always tear a page out if it gets too thick. I say do as many extensions as you want as you are off to a stellar start!

Joan T
03-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Rainy - Thanks.

Debby - Thanks so much. It will be hard for me to cover up some of the writing. I like the way it looks...but I must continue. lol

Margo - You are so sweet! Thanks.

I printed out a few pieces of artwork that I did in Provence, but haven't gotten around to pasting anything down yet. I also printed out a page of Provence fabric...maybe it will find it's way into the page somewhere.

poochemio
03-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Provence fabric is so lovely, I think that is a perfect idea!

Kema
03-08-2011, 07:09 AM
This is beautiful, Joan! Neat that you open it up and there's the writing. All my books end up triangular, 3-4" wide at the opening edge... My current one is 1/3 done and it's already 3 times its original width. I might have to restrain myself a bit...

Joan T
03-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Margo - Thanks. I'm trying to make sure things fit the locations. lol

Kema - I can see that happening to mine...one big, heavy triangle.:wink2: Thanks so much.

I finished the Provence pages but the uploader isn't cooperating right now. I'll see if I can post it later.

JamieWG
03-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Joan, I really enjoy seeing your journal explorations, going beyond the bounds of the kind of artwork we usually do! The extensions are a wonderful idea. I'd love to see what they are doing with pockets too! Way fun. Sometimes I think I want to just be a sketchbook artist!

Jamie

JTMB
03-08-2011, 10:40 PM
These are great, Joan! The extensions look great, as all of your work does.

Elain
03-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Joan, those extensions are really neat. It's great to see how you developed the pages too.

My journals end up triangular too! They should make them with much bigger spirals !!

I'll be trying the pockets this weekend - had a busy week!

Joan T
03-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Jamie - Thanks. The journals are fun...more like play, but with a lot of planning. lol

John - Thank you.

Elain - Thanks. I think its fun to see the steps people do on the pages, instead of thinking "how did they do that?" lol

Well the uploader seems to be working today so I'll post what I did next.

Joan T
03-10-2011, 11:59 AM
I made copies of several paintings I did in Provence and tore them and pasted them. I included a small map of Provence and parts of several wine labels. I wanted borders so I looked on the internet for fabrics with Provence designs and printed out one of the fabrics. I cut it in 1/2 inch strips that I put along the edges of the pages. On the right side I had a vineyard, so I decided to sketch some grapes directly on the paper. I painted them with watercolors and outlined them with ink.

Joan T
03-10-2011, 12:01 PM
This is how the left side looked finished. I deepened the colors in the pasted artwork with inktense pencils and outlined the pieces with ink. Then I painted a few sunflowers directly over the journal writing and outlined them with ink.

Joan T
03-10-2011, 12:03 PM
I did a bit more work on the right side, completing the grapes and adding a wine bottle and glass...no sense being at a winery and not tasting the wine, right?

This was fun to do and I think it captured the Provence feel. What do you think?

RainySea
03-10-2011, 01:10 PM
oh, wow. . . that is AWESOME spread, Joan. You really outdone yourself with that extensions idea. I just love what you've done. The borders are great (do they extent around to front at all? And I love the picts collaged and/or painted over top of the journaling. BRAVO!

JTMB
03-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Very creative pages, Joan! Really like the one with the wine, grapes and orchards.

DrDebby
03-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Very creative. Tasting wine is a moral imperative. :lol:

Carole A
03-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Very creative. Tasting wine is a moral imperative. :lol:
Well, then, Joan, you should visit Oregon; we have quite a wine industry. Oregon was a little late coming to the party, but we have a great culture here.

Carole A

poochemio
03-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Smashing success Joan! I think you should be teaching one of these workshops as your page is better than anything I've seen on them so far!

Joan T
03-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Rainy - Thanks. I only used the borders on the inside pages here.

John - Thanks so much. I like being able to combine things on these pages.

Debby - Lol You are right about the wine tasting. Thanks.

Carole - I've never been to Oregon...for some reason I haven't been to any of the states up in that corner of the country...I guess a road trip is in order!

Margo - You are really sweet. I'm really enjoying experimenting with different combinations of things for the pages...I guess it is limitless. I've always wanted to do an artistic journal on the places I've visited, and this is the perfect tool.

RainySea
03-11-2011, 07:13 PM
I agree with Margo!

Kema
03-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Awesome is right!