PDA

View Full Version : Johannes-Student Discussion Lounge

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Johannes Instructor
01-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Hello everyone! I have some good news for those of you who attend Johannes webinars. F+W and Johannes will be working together to keep these webinars running!

Johannes will be presenting live web art instruction every Saturday and Sunday from 3-5pm EST for 12 weeks starting January 29th. The webinars will be free to attend live and we will be recording them to sell later.

Well my fellow artists and friends. This is now official. Now we will be working together. I am so pleased I can take on from where I left off with you to walk along side of you and see your art grow. Together along with F&W media's support we can make these web classes continue for free. I am asking you to be active in this forum so that it continues flowing. Please feel free to ask me for guidance and support. Invite your friends and colleges to participate in this wetcanvas forum as well. In a few days you will be getting the webinar registration code for the upcoming webinar.

Title: How to use photos for composing stunning landscape paintings:

Days: Every Saturday and Sunday from January 29 to April 17, 2011. Total 24 classes = 12 weekend workshop
Time: from 3 to 5 PM EST. The live webcam video demos may extend until demo is finished.

This course will provide all the necessary tools to avoid the common traps and mistakes most artists fall into when using photos. You will learn to use photos as support for ideas and inspiration for your paintings, yet release yourselves from being enslaved by them. The vital concepts of applying principles of composition, mass planning, shape design, and creating pictorial symbols that represent landscape objects in a pleasing way will be discussed. These classes will include live webcam demos. This workshop will cure bad habits developed over the years. All mediums and all levels welcome. (Even if you are a beginner).
These classes will include assigning the attendees some practices which can voluntarily be sent back for comments from me.

To see Johannes' credentials:
http://improvemypaintings.com/meetinstructor.html
To see some of his paintings:
http://improvemypaintings.com/onlinegallery

Johannes Instructor
01-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Here is the syllabus we will be following. Some of this was brought up in the previous webinars but now the idea is to put this into practice by you sending in some work (as if we could call art,...work). :wink2:

Lesson 1
Students will learn the criteria to select photos that have potential to build their paintings. The advantages and problems that may arise during plein air painting. Superficial advice on photo capturing.
Lesson 2
Cropping. Once a photo has been chosen they will learn where and how to crop it as well as stretch the elements.
Lesson 3
Planning Masses and Shapes. How to create thumbnail sketches. Choosing picture ratios such as horizontal or vertical formats as well as choosing painting sizes.
Lesson 4
How to visualize the entire structure into values and abstract shapes. How to think in pictorial symbols.
Lesson 5
The importance of melodic & graceful lines.
Lesson 6
What to ignore or include in photos. Creating attractive focal areas and subduing surrounding areas. Where and how to place animals, human structures and people into paintings. Avoiding visual clutter. How to create a mood.
Lesson 7
Using several photos as a story board to incorporate into one painting.
Lesson 8
Creating visual paths and visual pointers. How to move the viewers eye in the painting.
Lesson 9
Pictorial balance
Lesson 10
Harmonizing colors & echoing colors. How to deal with greens.
Lesson 11
Painting the way the eye sees. Using the tactic of the different edges, soft vs. hard. How to make it appear people and animals are moving in paintings.
Lesson 12
Creating the illusion of 3D on a 2D surface

aolaranora
01-20-2011, 02:50 PM
So... what we have to do about registration process and how will it work?
Thank You!

Johannes Instructor
01-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Thank You!
The same as we used to. You will be provided with a webinar code.

Davkin
01-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Thank You!

Ditto, I'm up for it.

David

Johannes Instructor
01-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Collen here is what I mean about the tunnel. Look at the top left corner of your painting and you will see a symetrical shape.

crazywoman53
01-20-2011, 02:54 PM
I can't believe I am the first one to read this! YEAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so very happy and excited and looking forward to this. I do however have one question right now.. Will the classes that are taught on Sat be repeated on Sun or will it be a new class on Sunday? I am assuming since so many students are now interested it will be a repeat on Sun.. but would like to know so I can plan definately to participate in at least one of these days. Thank you F&W for sponsoring this and making it free for us! I can't begin to express what a gift this is to me. Where I live high speed internet is not availabe and I have had to get a data card to follow this but it is very expensive and I only use it for the classes so now I know I can afford to follow. I will definately be spreading the word. Thank you again to Johannes for your dedication and hard work and to our new sponsor.. it's just Great!!!

Davkin
01-20-2011, 02:56 PM
I just noticed that anybody can create a new thread in here, not sure that's a good idea. I'd suggest only allowing one new thread for each week of the course. I'm just a bit concerned that things might get a little crazy if it becomes a free-for-all.

David

Johannes Instructor
01-20-2011, 03:07 PM
I can't believe I am the first one to read this! YEAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so very happy and excited and looking forward to this. I do however have one question right now.. Will the classes that are taught on Sat be repeated on Sun or will it be a new class on Sunday? I am assuming since so many students are now interested it will be a repeat on Sun.. but would like to know so I can plan definately to participate in at least one of these days. Thank you F&W for sponsoring this and making it free for us! I can't begin to express what a gift this is to me. Where I live high speed internet is not availabe and I have had to get a data card to follow this but it is very expensive and I only use it for the classes so now I know I can afford to follow. I will definately be spreading the word. Thank you again to Johannes for your dedication and hard work and to our new sponsor.. it's just Great!!!
In order to fit the course I will be taking both days a week for the lessons. Sunday will not be a repeat of Saturday and in cases will be a continuation. If you miss a webinar you will be able to download it at the Artist's Network website at a cost of $9.99.

Colorix
01-20-2011, 03:17 PM
So exciting, the syllabus is fab! Just the things needed to be taught and learned. This is so amazing, thank you Johannes, thank you WC!

Edit, addendum: I'm advertising this in the Pastel Guild of Europe, too.

crazywoman53
01-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Thanks for letting me know this. Do you have any idea if the new format will broadcast more data (mb) in the two hours? I am still trying to figure out what level of data I need to purchase to do this.

Would you prefer we start individual threads for paintings we post or post them all in this thread? I am thinking it might be easier to follow each painting seperately. I'd like to post the one I am now currently working on but not sure where I should post it.

sherrysherman
01-20-2011, 03:27 PM
I am so excited! This is completely what I need. I can't wait to see what I'm creating a few short months from now (not to mention all along the way as well). I love the syllabus. I'll be doing the work!

:thumbsup:

sherry

Strawberry Wine
01-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Johannes, this is good news !!!

I am looking forward to participating...

Is this the official sign up thread?

Cheers,

Gail

SonyaJ
01-20-2011, 03:53 PM
This is just excellent!! Wonderful news and thank you to F&W Media for working with Johannes to bring us more of his outstanding instruction :).

Edmontonartist
01-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Hi Joe Please count me in Erick

LadyMadonna
01-20-2011, 03:58 PM
I definitely want to be a participant in this online teaching art webinar. I have enjoyed the past webinars and have learned a lot in a short period of time.
Count me in !

hmh
01-20-2011, 04:06 PM
I would like to sign up for class

marionh
01-20-2011, 04:08 PM
Great news. I'm in.

JTMB
01-20-2011, 04:11 PM
I'm definitely there as well...! Wonderful news.

Little Mary
01-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Hi Johannes,
Thanks for doing this for us. This is so exciting.
Little Mary

wcjan
01-20-2011, 04:14 PM
I would like to join the webinar. I hope this is the right place. I received the email from Johannes with 2 links - one that takes me to the general WetCanvas login page, and the next that takes me here. Is there anything else I need to join in on the classes? Or will I just be sent an email before each webinar like before??

Thanks in advance,

- Jan

Grainne
01-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Count me in too!

Grainne (aka Kaye)

LynnM
01-20-2011, 04:16 PM
I'm in too, thanks Johannes, so glad this worked out!

I agree that it would be good to post our images for critique in separate threads, then you can find them, is that how it will work?

litlbitartsy
01-20-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm interested in the webinar classes on the weekend also. How do we sign up. I'm already on your email list and took the last class. Also, when will Seascapes be posted for download. Thanks.. ~donna

*Violet*
01-20-2011, 04:22 PM
i'm interested !! ... 8v) ... :wave:

Gerri Mc
01-20-2011, 04:23 PM
Loved the last lot of clases and the recent downloads. I'm definitely up for this. Thanks Johannes and F&W Media.

Gerri.

appydax
01-20-2011, 04:28 PM
So pleased that everything is coming together.
Thank you WC and Johannes :thumbsup:
Count me in, I will be glad to continue.

Sharron

jemgold
01-20-2011, 04:31 PM
I would like to participate

RainySea
01-20-2011, 04:32 PM
Oh, yay. . . I am in, too!

I am glad you will set it up so we can purchase/download the ones we miss as I do have a few dogs shows coming up.

Johannes Instructor
01-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Johannes, this is good news !!!

I am looking forward to participating...

Is this the official sign up thread?

Cheers,

Gail

This forum is the official interaction between you and me. The webinar access code will be provided in a few days and I will post it here.

Johannes Instructor
01-20-2011, 04:39 PM
I'm in too, thanks Johannes, so glad this worked out!

I agree that it would be good to post our images for critique in separate threads, then you can find them, is that how it will work?

I would prefer we stay with this thread for now.

dollardays
01-20-2011, 04:44 PM
I would like to be included as well. Thanks, Johannes.

mapost1
01-20-2011, 04:46 PM
It looks like I have the same question as others who have gone before me. But I don't understand the answer. I went to the emailed link provided to register and it brought me to a Wet Canvas page. I didn't see anything about registration. So I went to the next link that was emailed and landed here. I think I am getting closer but want to be sure I am on the list to receive webinar reminder and login codes

luvs2paint1
01-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Congratulations Joe!! Glad you got everything worked out. F&W are lucky to have you and so are we! I'll be watching for the email with the registration code. I am so excited. I really need this push to step up another notch, so thank you for being you. I am blessed to know you.

Dot Hoffman
01-20-2011, 04:48 PM
I'm in, too, as often as I possibly can. Thanks for great info!!!!

pezk
01-20-2011, 04:50 PM
P:clap:lease include me. This sounds like a wonderful foundation for painting. Congrats on the successful agreement with F&W. Great way to get your message to many more artists.

Johannes Instructor
01-20-2011, 04:51 PM
It looks like I have the same question as others who have gone before me. But I don't understand the answer. I went to the emailed link provided to register and it brought me to a Wet Canvas page. I didn't see anything about registration. So I went to the next link that was emailed and landed here. I think I am getting closer but want to be sure I am on the list to receive webinar reminder and login codes

Please check regularly here to get the code for the webinar. Any day now it will be posted.

Johannes Instructor
01-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Congratulations Joe!! Glad you got everything worked out. F&W are lucky to have you and so are we! I'll be watching for the email with the registration code. I am so excited. I really need this push to step up another notch, so thank you for being you. I am blessed to know you.

The code will be posted here. This is where we stay in touch.

mooz49
01-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Great news ....count me in also! :D

bjornjo
01-20-2011, 05:00 PM
i just want to send in my congratulation to you johannes and this will for sure be exciting this whole program looks very nice lets see how much more u can stuff into the head there and it will be great aswell since with this u can download it again when u get more experienced and be able to pick up new stuff.

robertsloan2
01-20-2011, 05:02 PM
I am thrilled and excited! Been looking forward to this for a long time. Johannes, I love your syllabus. This is a treat. Thank you for making the Sunday classes a continuation of Saturday. I know I'll enjoy attending both.

Count me in of course. Looks like everyone's discovering the thread and keeping it lively too! We probably will need a new thread every week in order to keep it from exploding.

Of course my trusty sketchbook, ArtPen and Pitt Pens will be at hand for every class again. I hope others will start taking notes and posting them too, it's so great to see your screen shots and notes along with mine. I might miss something that you pick up or write down, so please, take notes too!

Johannes Instructor
01-20-2011, 05:02 PM
i just want to send in my congratulation to you johannes and this will for sure be exciting this whole program looks very nice lets see how much more u can stuff into the head there and it will be great aswell since with this u can download it again when u get more experienced and be able to pick up new stuff.

This time we will take our time and allow for you all to understand this by assigments. I sort've rushed it last year because I didn't know I would see you all again.

TKat
01-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Please count me in! Thank you for your generosity! :heart:

Lisa Fiore
01-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Count me in!!!!! I'm really looking forward to this! :clap:

LSVoight
01-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Hi Johannes,
I would like to participate in the classes :) thank you
Lisa in PA

luvs2paint1
01-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Robert, I've been taking notes this whole time, but they are nothing compared to yours. Mine are done in a lined notebook.

Zanart
01-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Hi Johannes. This is great news for you. You have worked
very hard from the beginning to bring this internet teaching
method to what it has become today. Congratulations to a great teacher and artist! Count me in. Suzanne

denise f. brown
01-20-2011, 05:15 PM
yes I want to be part of the class
please sign me up
Denise Brown
Portsmouth NH
thanks!

the 1st afternoon, I am at a art fair booth, so I will be running late or watch the recorded video when I get back.
Can't wait! you are great!
:clap:

Gisele Grenier
01-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Congrats Joe,

Please count me in as well!

Gigibrooke
01-20-2011, 05:27 PM
I would like to sign up for the webinar beginning January 29th. Is this all I need to do to receive the webinar code? Thank you very much, Johannes.
Marilyn Witt

Singing Wind
01-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Yes, count me in.....where do we sign up..
Singing Wind

Johannes Instructor
01-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Yes, count me in.....where do we sign up..
Singing Wind

Keep checking this forum daily for the webinar code .

Kim Carnegie
01-20-2011, 05:58 PM
I would Love to be part of this ,Kim Carnegie
How do I sign up ?

T13 St Jean
01-20-2011, 06:02 PM
I am also very interested.
Count me in too.

Therese

middo
01-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Hi Joe, Congratulations and well deserved looking forward to your lessons. Gaye

Ruthie57
01-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Oh, I'm thrilled about this. The syllabus looks great. I'll attend every webinar I can :clap: Thank you Johannes and Wet Canvas!

sherrysherman
01-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Now that we are all over here, I'm not sure where to post the Santa Fe open gate - revised to have bougainvillea on the wall - that you were all helping me with. Charlie, I have the boug growing up this side. Think it's better this way than the flowers plopped on top of the wall. (This is done on the painting itself, with real pastels, not via Photoshop. :) )

Here's the link - on the other thread. I'd welcome comments, but don't expect a lot of attention as we are all gearing up for the NEW CLASSES!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12555182&posted=1#post12555182

Sherry

emilyopal
01-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Well my fellow artists and friends. This is now official. Now we will be working together. I am so pleased I can take on from where I left off with you to walk along side of you and see your art grow. Together along with F&W media's support we can make these web classes continue for free. I am asking you to be active in this forum so that it continues flowing. Please feel free to ask me for guidance and support. Invite your friends and colleges to participate in this wetcanvas forum as well. In a few days you will be getting the webinar registration code for the upcoming webinar.

Title: How to use photos for composing stunning landscape paintings:

Days: Every Saturday and Sunday from January 29 to April 17, 2011. Total 24 classes = 12 weekend workshop
Time: from 3 to 5 PM EST. The live webcam video demos may extend until demo is finished.

This course will provide all the necessary tools to avoid the common traps and mistakes most artists fall into when using photos. You will learn to use photos as support for ideas and inspiration for your paintings, yet release yourselves from being enslaved by them. The vital concepts of applying principles of composition, mass planning, shape design, and creating pictorial symbols that represent landscape objects in a pleasing way will be discussed. These classes will include live webcam demos. This workshop will cure bad habits developed over the years. All mediums and all levels welcome. (Even if you are a beginner).
These classes will include assigning the attendees some practices which can voluntarily be sent back for comments from me.
I wish to enroll in your upcoming class emilyopal(carol Gander)

Johannes Instructor
01-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Now that we are all over here, I'm not sure where to post the Santa Fe open gate - revised to have bougainvillea on the wall - that you were all helping me with. Charlie, I have the boug growing up this side. Think it's better this way than the flowers plopped on top of the wall. (This is done on the painting itself, with real pastels, not via Photoshop. :) )

Here's the link - on the other thread. I'd welcome comments, but don't expect a lot of attention as we are all gearing up for the NEW CLASSES!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12555182&posted=1#post12555182

Sherry

Yes, Sherry this is for us.

brugan
01-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Thank you for this opportunity Jo. Bruce in Powell River

emilyopal
01-20-2011, 06:28 PM
I wish to e\be enrolled in your class,,, having previously taken your last two webinars,,, Carol Gander

Johannes Instructor
01-20-2011, 06:30 PM
For all you newbies to know more about me. I am the one who will host the landscape painting course, you can see my artwork here:

http://improvemypaintings.com/onlinegallery/

emilyopal
01-20-2011, 06:36 PM
I wish to be enrolled in these classes,,,
I am not sure if my previous attempts to reply went, so am trying again
emilyopal(Carol Gander)

sherrysherman
01-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Yes, Sherry this is for us.

This is so cool, your/our very own area. I love how many are saying "I'm in"; for several, this is their first ever post. :) (I finally joined WC after lurking for many years because of the threads involving your teaching.) You are good for WC!

I'll post the painting over here. For some reason it shows up a little pale. Just imagine it with deeper colors. :) As you can see, I have the boug growing up the near side of the wall; it seems to connect better with the shadows and the "tone" of the rest of the painting.

Comments are welcome.

Sherry

Johannes Instructor
01-20-2011, 06:42 PM
This is so cool, your/our very own area. I love how many are saying "I'm in"; for several, this is their first ever post. :) (I finally joined WC after lurking for many years because of the threads involving your teaching.) You are good for WC!

I'll post the painting over here. For some reason it shows up a little pale. Just imagine it with deeper colors. :) As you can see, I have the boug growing up the near side of the wall; it seems to connect better with the shadows and the "tone" of the rest of the painting.

Comments are welcome.

Sherry

Now, that is much better! Me like! Now because we see a portion of a green tree thru the door. I would carry another part of that tree behind the arch all the way to the top cropping the tree.

Johannes Instructor
01-20-2011, 06:45 PM
I wish to be enrolled in these classes,,,
I am not sure if my previous attempts to reply went, so am trying again
emilyopal(Carol Gander)

Emily keep checking this thread for the webinar code that will be assigned in a few days.

lamelucy
01-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Hello johannes, After a bit of complicating factors, please know that i am signing in for your courses. Sincerely, Lamoine Dionne aka lamelucy

Judibelle
01-20-2011, 06:57 PM
I am very much looking forward to the classes, Johannes...thank you so much.
Judi

Kathrin G.
01-20-2011, 07:00 PM
fantastic news :clap: :clap: :clap: I am in too :D

Baimer
01-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Looking forward to the classes. Hopefully using JTV for demos as I can pick up on my Ipad which is a bonus when not in the home office. Congratulations and I know it will be extremely informative for all who attend. Cheers RemBrent

smad3
01-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Greetings to all:
I am looking forward to this. Need to work on getting my microphone to work though.
Stephen

maggie2
01-20-2011, 07:21 PM
I'd really like to join in on this.

Johannes Instructor
01-20-2011, 07:22 PM
For all you newbies to know more about me. I am the one who will host the landscape painting course, you can see my artwork here:

Johannes Instructor
01-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Greetings to all:
I am looking forward to this. Need to work on getting my microphone to work though.
Stephen
You don't need a mike unless you want to ask oral questions. Most attendees just sit back and hear me speak and I will be able to read your questions.

sherrysherman
01-20-2011, 07:25 PM

Hm. "Can't find the server 'improvemypaintings.com'"

Davkin
01-20-2011, 07:35 PM
The link worked for me, and the first painting in the gallery has those flowers in it. :)

David

FLNH
01-20-2011, 07:36 PM
I would definitely like to participate. Although I know that you have heard this many times, your teaching efforts so far have radically changed my art outlook and I am overwhelmed by your generosity as well as your teaching and artistic ability.

I am also indebted to Robert as I am an "off the chart" visual learner and could not have done it without his notes.

bajabev
01-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Hello,
I'm new to Wet Canvas but have seen a couple of Johannes' demo/workshops. I want to join the new series of workshops about Using Photos. Please let me know what I need to do next--also will the classes on Sat. and Sun. be the same and should we sign up for one day or the other.

Thanks--this will be a great experience
Bev

susanc
01-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Congratulations, Johannes! For me, it's a dream come true to find this quantity and quality of art information available online from you. I am looking forward to it (have been since early January!) and I am counting down the days to the first class. Finally, it's almost here--just a week from this Saturday! Thanks, Johannes and F&W!

Johannes Instructor
01-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Hello,
I'm new to Wet Canvas but have seen a couple of Johannes' demo/workshops. I want to join the new series of workshops about Using Photos. Please let me know what I need to do next--also will the classes on Sat. and Sun. be the same and should we sign up for one day or the other.

Thanks--this will be a great experience
Bev
The whole course is 12 weekends. It will be very complete. However if you need to miss a class the recording will be available for download at $9.99.

Johannes Instructor
01-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Hm. "Can't find the server 'improvemypaintings.com'"
Then try this server:

http://cyberartlearning.com/onlinegallery/

That has to work.

IrmaH322
01-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Wow I just came back from a trip and found the good news. Thank you Johannes and F&W, we will have lots of better artists. I cannot wait for the classes to start, count me in.
Irma

flowergram
01-20-2011, 07:55 PM
In the nick of time! Patience is not one of my two dubious virtues...
Georgina

anrapa
01-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Thank you so much Johannes for making these workshops available for us. I have attended a couple of your webinars before and they have been very informative. Looking forward to attending these classes.
-Aparna

allydoodle
01-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Definitely count me in on this. What a wonderful opportunity to expand our knowledge and share what we're learning with others. Thank you Johannes, for doing this.

mlgk
01-20-2011, 08:15 PM
I have wanted to participate in online classes for years. I have enjoyed the two I have been able to watch and being able to see what you are talking about has been amazing to me. I am beginning to understand things I have been taught but did not fully comprehend. It is unbelievable that they are free. Thank you so much. I have one problem at this time. My husband is having a second coronary bypass next Tuesday so I will be somewhat hindered for a while but will watch every chance I get. Really excited!

patdesmarais
01-20-2011, 08:19 PM
So glad the classes will continue. :clap: Looking forward to the first class on the 29th -- It's my birthday ! What a nice surprise :) Pat

sherrysherman
01-20-2011, 08:20 PM
Now, that is much better! Me like! Now because we see a portion of a green tree thru the door. I would carry another part of that tree behind the arch all the way to the top cropping the tree.

Hi Johannes,

Were you thinking something like the first one below? (This is photoshop :) ) One lone tree reaching up looked funny. All that green was a row of not-huge trees across the driveway. Treating it like just one tree brought it in too close, IMO.

The other thing I could do would be to show the trees as smaller through the door, so you don't expect them above the arch, like the second one below.

I really appreciate your thoughts on this, Johannes. THIS sort of guidance - and development of my own judgment - is why I so look forward to your classes.

sherry

sherrysherman
01-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Then try this server:

http://cyberartlearning.com/onlinegallery/

That has to work.

Totally works. Just wanted you to know the other wasn't, at least not for me.

sherry

MKH
01-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Thanks to F&W for being a partner,
Kudos to Wetcanvas for the dissemination of the information,
Bravo to all artists who attended and made this possible
and CONGRATULATIONS to Jo for perusing his dreams to this reality.
Count me in

Mohamed

lonelm
01-20-2011, 08:40 PM
I would love to participate as well. Love the syllabus and many thanks to F&W and Johannes for letting this get off the ground. I am looking forward to seeing this happen.

nana b
01-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Johannes, count me in...have been waiting.

Phyllis

Paula Ford
01-20-2011, 08:44 PM
I'm in! Can't wait!

Nansketch
01-20-2011, 08:56 PM
I'm in -- really looking forward to this and want to thank Johannes, WC and F&W for this oppotunity.
Best,
Nancy

Johannes Instructor
01-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Hi Johannes,

Were you thinking something like the first one below? (This is photoshop :) ) One lone tree reaching up looked funny. All that green was a row of not-huge trees across the driveway. Treating it like just one tree brought it in too close, IMO.

The other thing I could do would be to show the trees as smaller through the door, so you don't expect them above the arch, like the second one below.

I really appreciate your thoughts on this, Johannes. THIS sort of guidance - and development of my own judgment - is why I so look forward to your classes.

sherry

Thats it! On the top photo. You got it.

Chrisp47
01-20-2011, 09:16 PM
:clap: :clap: Congratulations Johannes, I am eagerly anticipating your upcoming classes. Thank you so much for doing this for us. A big thank you to F&W and WetCanvas as well.:clap: :clap:

Jerry Bridgers
01-20-2011, 09:21 PM
I've been waiting for the email
Congratulations on the partnership achievement!

I plan to be there. Thank you for the notification.

Jerry H Bridgers

Johannes Instructor
01-20-2011, 09:25 PM

hewill4giveu
01-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Well i seen this when wet canvas first posted i don't know where that page went to unless its buried underneath the rest of the posts. I said that to say this im on board Johannes . I know wet canvas posted a link to where our webinar questions are suppose to go. Not sure if this is that post or not LOL. But if this is the sign in post put me down again please. Thanks Again i cant wait to start. Teresa

winecountry
01-20-2011, 09:43 PM
good work sherry:thumbsup:

Here is #5 fog with sunlight breaking out...this was the hardest to work out in terms of value..I used a longer format too...now I'll go back to #1 and begin color....I hope...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2011/103030-fog_5_grey3730.jpg

Johannes Instructor
01-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Well i seen this when wet canvas first posted i don't know where that page went to unless its buried underneath the rest of the posts. I said that to say this im on board Johannes . I know wet canvas posted a link to where our webinar questions are suppose to go. Not sure if this is that post or not LOL. But if this is the sign in post put me down again please. Thanks Again i cant wait to start. Teresa

This is the forum. From here I will be in touch with you all. In a few days the webinar registration code will be posted so keep coming back to check and while you are at it, type a few things. We want to know more about you.

Irmaluz
01-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Thank you Johannes and F& W for this great opportunity, especially to those of us who can not afford art classes. I've taken your other classes Johannes and have learned so much that I'm over the time with joy about these new classes. I read the syllabus and it's perfect. You can count me in. I work every third Saturday, so I'll miss a few classes, but will be alert and ready all other days.

irmaluz

Violetta
01-20-2011, 09:54 PM
This is a great opportunity! Count me in! I may not be able to make every class but having the download capability will be a big help. Will the downloaded videos be compatible with Mac?

H2Opaint
01-20-2011, 10:20 PM
Thank you SO much. I am so glad to be back in class with you. I learned so much last year. looking forward to these classes. Martha in Tennessee

luvs2paint1
01-20-2011, 10:25 PM
In case I didn't make it clear, I'm in! I finally ordered those 3 books that you recommended Joe. Carlson's Guide to Landscape Painting and the Drawing With the Artist Brain and Painting With the Artists Brain.

hewill4giveu
01-20-2011, 10:50 PM
This is the forum. From here I will be in touch with you all. In a few days the webinar registration code will be posted so keep coming back to check and while you are at it, type a few things. We want to know more about you.

Okay Johannes i am a 63 year old pastors wife. I am brand new to art i started about a year and half ago. I have always loved being creative could do crafts that always seemed to sell well. I liked art but never thought i could do it. Someone in my church gave me some books from Bob Ross and kept asking me if i did them or not. So i went out bought some supplies and i was hooked. I love animals so enrolled in LONDON ART COLLEGE coarse on pet portraits which im almost finished with. A friend in there told me about your webinars and well to say the least im hooked. I have some physical problems which does not allow me the luxury of going to formal classes so webinars are a life saver for me. My goal is to do this to make a living and supplement our income. So its not just a hobby for me. I have a lot to learn but im willing to do all i am able too to learn. Thanks for everything Teresa

Johannes Instructor
01-20-2011, 11:07 PM
Okay Johannes i am a 63 year old pastors wife. I am brand new to art i started about a year and half ago. I have always loved being creative could do crafts that always seemed to sell well. I liked art but never thought i could do it. Someone in my church gave me some books from Bob Ross and kept asking me if i did them or not. So i went out bought some supplies and i was hooked. I love animals so enrolled in LONDON ART COLLEGE coarse on pet portraits which im almost finished with. A friend in there told me about your webinars and well to say the least im hooked. I have some physical problems which does not allow me the luxury of going to formal classes so webinars are a life saver for me. My goal is to do this to make a living and supplement our income. So its not just a hobby for me. I have a lot to learn but im willing to do all i am able too to learn. Thanks for everything Teresa
Ok then let's give it our best!

Johannes Instructor
01-20-2011, 11:09 PM
As far as I know all questions go on this forum.

Johannes Instructor
01-20-2011, 11:11 PM
This is a great opportunity! Count me in! I may not be able to make every class but having the download capability will be a big help. Will the downloaded videos be compatible with Mac?
Yes, definitely compatible with Mac.

mtnrunner
01-20-2011, 11:17 PM
I'd like to sign up also. However, because of the time difference, there
are some conflicts. I will not be able to take every class (glad the downloads are available) I just don't want to take a spot if there is a limited number of
folks allowed in the webinar.
this is a great gift to all of us! Can't wait!

Dougwas
01-20-2011, 11:27 PM
This is great news. Count me in. I am looking forward to the classes. Congratulations, Johannes and thank you F&W.

Doug

bcraver
01-20-2011, 11:43 PM
I'm in!

Thanks very much Johannes!

pamcunningham
01-20-2011, 11:51 PM
I think this is great-a long time coming but I live in a rural area and this fits perfectly : a great and convenient way to learn, especially when the snow flies or the freezing rain sets in!
Pam , Springtown, ON

singingBrush
01-20-2011, 11:54 PM
HI,

I want to take the Johannes webinar on Sat. and Sundays. Please add me, if you haven't already.

I am doing art full time now and need to keep my skills up.:clap:

chewie
01-20-2011, 11:59 PM
please count me IN!!! THANK YOU!

ladyB
01-21-2011, 12:33 AM
Johannes, please include me in your teaching webinars.

Thank you,
ladyB

aolaranora
01-21-2011, 12:52 AM
Please count me in too!
This is a great news. I'm trying to talk some of my local friends-artists into it too!

jbercx
01-21-2011, 01:39 AM
Johannes, I made a transfer to the aacount you have send me. Please check it next week and let me know it it worked.

Congratulations with this big step!

nvcricket
01-21-2011, 01:53 AM
I wanna come too!!!

Johannes congratulations! This is such a great treat!

Thank you so much F&W Wetcanvas for providing the backing for this ground breaking method of teaching.

On Saturday, I will spend a week plein air painting with my Mom, Sister, and Daughter in sunny southern CA. My sister and I have been taking avid notes, and will be bugging each other with Johannes speachisms. We plan on applying your golden nuggets to our paintings.

We are even going to a gallery showing Aspervic's paintings. I can't wait to see them in person. Lots of pictures shall be taken, and we'll be makin and bakin art.

What a great crowd you have growing here, the more the merrier!
:grouphug:
Carol

I forgot to mention why for me this is so great. I live in rural Nevada, and have to drive 40 miles to the nearest Art Supply store. There isn't much going as far as artist community out here. So this is where it is happening for me. TYTYTYTYTY

Journeyman
01-21-2011, 04:00 AM
Not sure exactly what Im signing up for but will give it a try. :wave: Dave

hewill4giveu
01-21-2011, 04:53 AM
hey guys i dont think i was the only one he was asking a little bit of info about LOL He asked us to tell him a little about ourselves dont be bashfull LOL.

MartinaL
01-21-2011, 04:56 AM
Please count me in.
Thank you :wave:

Colorix
01-21-2011, 05:28 AM
Oh, dear, I think I never actually *said* "I'm in", took it for too granted. Yes, I'm in!

Talk about ourselves? OK. My name's Charlotte, but I'm called Charlie, married, live in Sweden (one of the Scandinavian countries, in Europe). When I was 8 years old, I was told I had no talent, but that didn't stop me from doing all sorts of creative stuff, happily oblivious of the rest of the world. In my jobs, I usually managed to drift over to some visual creativity, like being supposed to write texts for mags and papers, and then finding myself in the darkroom and doing layout as well. Studied art history in my 30s. (Gotta love lectures when you sit for 2 hours in a dark room, looking at slides of the world's greatest art!!!) After having all my illusions of the academic life shattered, I decided I wanted to paint, no matter what it took. It took classes in oil-painting three days per week, and I learned some. At the end of the term I discovered that all the other students had started out as individuals, but had turned into clones, as the teacher demanded pale beige paintings, I felt chills. Consequently, in character, I painted an assignment in from-the-tube colours, you could say it was highly expressionistic, with lots of wild spiky reds... :-) ... and the teacher gasped, turned red, and drew in breath to shout at me for not being beige, and I interrupted and said "don't bother, I'm out of here". Most art here is not representational, and I love the impressionist tradition, so I went to California, to learn from Susan Sarback, stayed there for 7 weeks, got a crash course. Loved it! Turned from oils to pastels, partially due to a whiplash injury, but partly because I do prefer the medium once I found seriously good handmade pastels. So I am part of starting the Pastel Guild of Europe (members from 19 nations), aiming to make pastels popular again and to teach and support pastellists in Europe mainly.

Been struggling on my own for years, in fact, I've only had 2 hours of instruction in landscapes, and have tried for 3 years to figure it out. So Johannes's December Webinars were absolutely fantastic! You who are beginners, you're so lucky to get the good instruction from the start! It is really frustrating and painful to puzzle things out on your own, because many concepts and ideas have to be learned from someone who know them and can teach. It is not possible (or not likely) to figure it out entirely on your own, not even through books and dvd.

Hm, more than you wanted to know... thank you for reading through my ramblings.

Mary Brigid
01-21-2011, 07:48 AM
Please count me in. Thank you so much for doing this Johannes and WC.
I got a present of a little box of conte pastels and some sugar paper when I was sick about 5 years ago and fell in love with pastels. I had never physically painted before this. But I had always loved nature and the beutiful landscape around me and vowed someday to try and paint it.
I struggled and still do. I find it hard to understand values tones hues ect. And I know my compositions are not good. But I paint from the heart.
I was thrilled last year to attend a workshop with Alicia Sotherland when she came here to Ireland. I was terrified on the fist day but I surprised myself. Credit due to Alicia as a teacher.
My life is a struggle at the moment as I suffer from Lupus and I have a flare up at the moment. So Johannes I hope there will not be too much homework :)
Thank you again Johannes and WC for this wonderful oppertunity.
Mary Brigid

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2011, 08:23 AM
Johannes, I made a transfer to the aacount you have send me. Please check it next week and let me know it it worked.

Congratulations with this big step!

Ok, thanks I will get your painting done within the next couple of weeks. Send me an email with your address where to ship it. Let's keep this forum only for classes. From now on email me unless it is about the classes.

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Please count me in. Thank you so much for doing this Johannes and WC.
I find it hard to understand values tones hues ect. And I know my compositions are not good. But I paint from the heart.
Thank you again Johannes and WC for this wonderful oppertunity.
Mary Brigid

This course will solve it.

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Welcome to the forum. Here you can type to your fellow artists and ask me any question about art and you will receive answers here. Let us see your work. Post it here. If you want I can give you some pointers. I am Johannes and will be the instructor for the upcoming course that will begin January 29 from 3 to 5 PM. Here are some samples of my paintings:
http://improvemypaintings.com/onlinegallery
Also here is a report CTV, which is Canada's largest TV newtork, did about me on primetime news:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjCy58DvILY

At least they covered an artist for once instead of scandals from Hollywood celebrities!

Please spread the word to your friends and collegues about these free web classes.

beejane
01-21-2011, 09:05 AM
I'm so glad that wet canvas has taken up your offer of excellent teaching! I'll be sure to make as many of the classes as I can. Will you be able to host more than the 100 webinar members from December, or do we need to get there early to save our spot?

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2011, 09:10 AM
I'm so glad that wet canvas has taken up your offer of excellent teaching! I'll be sure to make as many of the classes as I can. Will you be able to host more than the 100 webinar members from December, or do we need to get there early to save our spot?

The folks who brought you, "The Artist's Magazine" are endorsing me and sponsoring the web classes so we will be able to fit more people this time. They will be launching an advertising campaign about these classes so I do expect this to fill up. Register as soon as you get the webinar code to ensure your spot.

Devonlass
01-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Count me in also. I'm one of those that came to art late in life (3 years ago at age 65) and work exclusively in pastels. I love it and am always seeking to learn more. I have already gained so much knowledge from Johannes previous instruction and I know these classes will help even more. May not make all the classes but I'm sure going to try!

wcjan
01-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Hi Johannes,

I have already replied that "I'm in" but I would like some information on what supplies I need. I am a watercolorist but want to branch out into oils - this seems like the perfect opportunity. Because of issues with solvents, I'm leaning towards M.Graham paints (straight from the tube - and using walnut oil for cleanup). I currently have no oil painting supplies, so am wondering what colors I should pick up. Also, if you could give me some hints on what size brushes (and what types - flats, rounds, filberts?), that would be great. I will likely paint on prestretched canvasses (like Fredrix ) - what size do you recommend for a beginner?

You may have already addressed these issues elsewhere - if so, could you kindly send me a link??

As always, a BIG THANKS!

- Jan

westmount
01-21-2011, 09:44 AM
congratulations.... count me in ,too!

Coquina
01-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Wish to be included in the on-line instruction in watercolor.
Thank You

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Hi Johannes,

I have already replied that "I'm in" but I would like some information on what supplies I need. I am a watercolorist but want to branch out into oils - this seems like the perfect opportunity. Because of issues with solvents, I'm leaning towards M.Graham paints (straight from the tube - and using walnut oil for cleanup). I currently have no oil painting supplies, so am wondering what colors I should pick up. Also, if you could give me some hints on what size brushes (and what types - flats, rounds, filberts?), that would be great. I will likely paint on prestretched canvasses (like Fredrix ) - what size do you recommend for a beginner?

You may have already addressed these issues elsewhere - if so, could you kindly send me a link??

As always, a BIG THANKS!

- Jan

I was offered to be sponsored by Graham when they were just launching their paints because I felt they were too oily. I tend to work on my student's paintings and I have lots of problems overlapping colors. The best buy for me is Windsor and Newton artist quality. They sell 200 ml tubes for a great price. I usually carry three sizes of brushes, small, medium and medium large. An 11 X 14 canvas board is about the right size for quick projects. During this first course the attendees won't be painting along with me because it is all about designing paintings. However if these web classes are succesful then I do intend to include paint-along with me while you watch me on a live webcam down the road. In my classes I disuade students from using an extended palette.

gzalesak
01-21-2011, 09:49 AM
I am interested in signing up for the upcoming webinar weekend classes.

mtnrunner
01-21-2011, 10:02 AM
looking forward to the webinars. This is a great learning tool.. seeing corrections made in real time on one's painting, with critiques and suggestions is as good as being in a physical workshop. Johannes has a great gift for instruction and we're all very fortunate to have this opportunity.
On the topic of "tell about yourself", I decided 5 years ago to finally "take that oil painting class".. though I'd always loved to draw as a child, it wasn't until my own kids were all grown that I had the time to pursue it seriously. Since then, I have devoured art books, taken workshops, rented art instructional DVDs, even browsed through youtube for painting videos, etc. in the desire to improve.
I am most at home painting still life, but my real desire is to learn landscapes and the figure. I prefer always working from life, but using photos as a tool is a good way to hone compositional and design skills, and I look forward to these
classes. My other main pursuit is extreme long distance trail running - so I do have lots of opportunities to take photos "on the run".

wcjan
01-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Thanks for your response about supplies, Johannes. I will get some W&N paints - I also like their watercolors. In watercolor, I work with a limited palette and will likely do the same with oils.

- Jan

Artist9
01-21-2011, 10:16 AM
Hey Joe,
It's Joesy here. Long time since I've heard from you.
I would love to attend the web classes you're going to be doing, but I'm going to need a lot of information as to how this works and what I'm required to do.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Joesy:angel:

tr65
01-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Having watched most of the December webinars and enjoying them immensely I look forward to continuing with the new series! I began trying to paint a couple of years ago and I believe the information contained in your tutorials, critiques and demonstrations have helped me tremendously to understand the process. Thank you in advance for the help I you will give me!

Tom

m50paul
01-21-2011, 10:45 AM
I would like to be included as well....... count me in

Barbara01
01-21-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm looking forward to attending the classes over the next few weeks when I'm not working.

I am working on improving a couple of my previous paintings and finishing two others keeping your instruction in mind and I'm wondering if those paintings can be posted here as well, even if they aren't using the information taught in the particular class for that week?

Thank you to both Wet Canvas and Artist's Magazine for making this all possible!

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Hey Joe,
It's Joesy here. Long time since I've heard from you.
I would love to attend the web classes you're going to be doing, but I'm going to need a lot of information as to how this works and what I'm required to do.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Joesy:angel:

Hello, Joesy it is very easy. Within a few days I will be posting here a code that you just click on. This will do everything for you. Right in front of your eyes you will be seeing my presentations. All this is free and endorsed by the folks of the, "Tha Artist's Magazine". Just keep coming back to read the posts here until you see that code. See you soon!

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm looking forward to attending the classes over the next few weeks when I'm not working.

I am working on improving a couple of my previous paintings and finishing two others keeping your instruction in mind and I'm wondering if those paintings can be posted here as well, even if they aren't using the information taught in the particular class for that week?

Thank you to both Wet Canvas and Artist's Magazine for making this all possible!

Yes, go ahead and post your paintings here for help. I will type brief recommendations to you.

Yarrow
01-21-2011, 10:51 AM
*Waves hand* Oooh, ooh -- count me in!

I'm really looking forward to this. Thanks so much, Johannes!

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Wish to be included in the on-line instruction in watercolor.
Thank You
The upcoming course that will be launched on January 29 will be for all medias. This course will help students overcome problems with using photos. It won't deal directly with watercolor application. However, I can answer questions about that in this forum.

mtnrunner
01-21-2011, 11:01 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2011/496901-Picture_078.jpg

okay, here's a painitng I'm working on of a local scene on one of our trails. My problem area, as you can see since I scraped it all out, is the group of trees at the top of the rock outcropping. In the photo reference I'm using, there is a little bit of light coming through them, that is, they are not a dark solid mass - you can't see through them to the background,but you can see bits of light and "air" in the tree mass. I'm having a hard time depicting that. Would it be better just to push that one way or the other.. ie.. make them a solid mass of tree with no daylight, or thin them out to be fewer trees with some of that background and sky showing through?
any ideas folks? here, maybe I can post the original photo so you'll see what Im talking about.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2011/496901-Overlook_to_Pajarito.jpg

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2011, 11:07 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2011/496901-Picture_078.jpg

okay, here's a painitng I'm working on of a local scene on one of our trails. My problem area, as you can see since I scraped it all out, is the group of trees at the top of the rock outcropping. In the photo reference I'm using, there is a little bit of light coming through them, that is, they are not a dark solid mass - you can't see through them to the background,but you can see bits of light and "air" in the tree mass. I'm having a hard time depicting that. Would it be better just to push that one way or the other.. ie.. make them a solid mass of tree with no daylight, or thin them out to be fewer trees with some of that background and sky showing through?
any ideas folks? here, maybe I can post the original photo so you'll see what Im talking about.

Deb, the rocks are well handled. The top evergreen area needs more work. It would've been nice to have included a platform at the bottom of the rocks to allow the viewer to step in.

LynnM
01-21-2011, 11:17 AM
I've already indicated I want to take the course, here's a bit on me. I began with drawing in 1970....so I am pretty ancient! I've taken a lot of courses in various media along the way, discovered B/W photograhy and began taking photos 'to paint later'.....this evolved into a major interest in landscape photography and it is only in the last year that I have come back to painting. I want to shift from dabbling in watercolour to serious work, and this course has come along at just the right time for me.

I wonder, Johannes, I find the long threads with all the submissions of paintings for us to look at rather confusing, it is hard to find the posts that you want us to look at. Would it be a good idea to have separate threads for people to post their paintings for us to critique?

fiannah
01-21-2011, 11:22 AM
I would love to participate, I paint mainly landscapes and pet portraits in pastels and oils, I appreciate the oppertunity you are providing. Thank you

J.Lloyd
01-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Johannes, thank you for offering these upcoming classes. I am very new to painting and art in general, but I have watched a number of your webinars during which I've learned a lot about meatballs, airplanes, triangles, snakes/worms, dinner plates, pathways, and melted vanilla ice cream, as well as many other things. I would very much like to continue on in this manner! I hope to be able to make it to all the classes.

Joan

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Johannes, thank you for offering these upcoming classes. I am very new to painting and art in general, but I have watched a number of your webinars during which I've learned a lot about meatballs, airplanes, triangles, snakes/worms, dinner plates, pathways, and melted vanilla ice cream, as well as many other things. I would very much like to continue on in this manner! I hope to be able to make it to all the classes.

Joan

LOL! Sounds like I gave you a webinar about cooking! For those who did not attend these web classes, I used analogies for people to remember key points.

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Welcome to the forum. Here you can type to your fellow artists and ask me any question about art and you will receive answers here. Let us see your work. Post it here. If you want I can give you some pointers. I am Johannes and will be the instructor for the upcoming course that will begin January 29 from 3 to 5 PM. Here are some samples of my paintings:
http://cyberartlearning.com/onlinegallery
Also here is a report CTV, which is Canada's largest TV newtork, did about me on primetime news:

At least they covered an artist for once instead of scandals from Hollywood celebrities!

Please spread the word to your friends and collegues about these free web classes.

marijkelindner
01-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Count me in as well!
marijke

Waterplay
01-21-2011, 11:41 AM
What a wonderful opportunity! I would love to participate in the webinar series.
I've been working in watercolor for years ( but often add a little something else to it ).
I enjoyed your Seascapes webinar and look forward to learning how to use my scads of reference photos.
Thank you for taking on this project and many thanks to F&W for sponsoring.

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2011, 11:55 AM
I will be doing a live webcam demo again this coming Sunday January 23 from 3 to 5 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST). Just click on this link to watch it. No need to sign up.

http://improvemypaintings.com/webcam1size.html

bjornjo
01-21-2011, 12:18 PM
ohh how exciting any plan yet what will come up on your easel? btw did i say i wanted to be a part of this and yes i got your email wow you spend a alot of time here now responding so quick see you on sunday

hewill4giveu
01-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Very frustrated right now is it normal to keep doing a painting over and over because your not satisfied with how its looking. Am it the only one who does this? At this rate i will never get a picture done ugh. Trees and bushes will be my demise:(

AHLOTTER
01-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Count me in.

I am a semi-retired tax lawyer who 5 years ago returned to painting after a 40-year hiatus. Landscapes became my primary interest then, but I have recently begun to concentrate on figurative work, and have started an ambitious painting of both figures and landscape--a farmers market. I have utilized a collection of photos that I took last year, so this might be a good example for the webinar.

I am at a point in this painting where I want to repaint almost everything in it, but would appreciate a critique of the drawing and composition before I do so.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2011/121006-FarmersMkt800.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2011/121006-farmersmkt600.jpg

But I can't figure out how to post the image of my painting. Have tried multiple times but when I click on the image, when it is supposed to be added to my message, it is not added to my message.

(I've edited in the two versions you uploaded, since I was here and it needed doing :) - dcorc)

ruby869
01-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Johannes, count me in too. As a beginner in painting, I so look forward to learning more. Thank you so much for all you do.

Smiles,
Stella

sherrysherman
01-21-2011, 12:59 PM
I will be doing a live webcam demo again this coming Sunday January 23 from 3 to 5 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST). Just click on this link to watch it. No need to sign up.

Johannes, I restarted my computer, tried Firefox as well as Safari, but still this site cannot be found. I even googled and tried to click through there.

Do you have a link thru cyberartlearning.com?

Sherry

Davkin
01-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Very frustrated right now is it normal to keep doing a painting over and over because your not satisfied with how its looking. Am it the only one who does this? At this rate i will never get a picture done ugh. Trees and bushes will be my demise:(

I'm currently doing that myself. I have one I did in acrylics, didn't like it. Later I painted over it in oils, better but still not what I was after. The other day I did a version in pastel, better but again not what I was after. Now I'm working on my 4th version, also in pastels but much better planned out and with a different technique on a different surface so hopefully it will turn out. I have another one I've painted twice in acrylics once on paper and once on board neither of which I really liked, I think I'm going to try oils over it this weekend.

David

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2011, 01:22 PM

Try again on Sunday. If that link still doesn't work then use this one:

http://cyberartlearning.com/webcam//webcam1size.html

I'm phasing out, cyberartlearning.com

sherrysherman
01-21-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm currently doing that myself. I have one I did in acrylics, didn't like it. Later I painted over it in oils, better but still not what I was after. The other day I did a version in pastel, better but again not what I was after. Now I'm working on my 4th version, also in pastels but much better planned out and with a different technique on a different surface so hopefully it will turn out. I have another one I've painted twice in acrylics once on paper and once on board neither of which I really liked, I think I'm going to try oils over it this weekend.

David

LOL, I can relate, David and Terry! That one of the open gate in the adobe wall was just a small fast attempt to keep J's tips in mind while I did a painting. I've spent more time on it than a lot of my larger, more "finished" pieces (none are really big at this point). Now gotta go extend those trees above the wall.

But as long as I'm learning....

Sherry

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Count me in.

I am a semi-retired tax lawyer who 5 years ago returned to painting after a 40-year hiatus. Landscapes became my primary interest then, but I have recently begun to concentrate on figurative work, and have started an ambitious painting of both figures and landscape--a farmers market. I have utilized a collection of photos that I took last year, so this might be a good example for the webinar.

I am at a point in this painting where I want to repaint almost everything in it, but would appreciate a critique of the drawing and composition before I do so.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2011/121006-farmersmkt600.jpg

But I can't figure out how to post the image of my painting. Have tried multiple times but when I click on the image, when it is supposed to be added to my message, it is not added to my message.

(I've edited in the two versions you uploaded, since I was here and it needed doing :) - dcorc)

You probably don't need the fruit in the corner but if you still want it can you redesign so it looks less triangular. Cover that section with your thumb in front of the screen. If the painting improves, take it out. If the painting deteriorates then remove it. That's a good rule of thumb!

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2011, 01:26 PM
http://cyberartlearning.com/onlinegallery

sherrysherman
01-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Try again on Sunday. If that link still doesn't work then use this one:

I'm phasing out, cyberartlearning.com

I can see you're phasing it out. That's what scares me, if I can't get to the new one. Ack! :eek:

This link works fine, so I'll hold it for a back-up. Also, I think I'm ok as long as you're using Justintv; that site sends an email whenever you go live.

This whole thing is very exciting, all in all, Johannes. Look at how many WC pages you have just of people saying "I'm in!" :)

Sherry

lapainter
01-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Hi Johannes, I am looking forward to the webinars. I live in the country and only have access to satellite internet and my band usage is limited to 300 mb per 24 hour period without getting fapped (put to dial up speed for 24 hours). Do you or anyone else have an idea approximately how much mb will be needed during the web cast? :crossfingers:

cosmek1
01-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Looking forward to the upcoming webinar! I have great appreciation for the fact that you are willing to share your knowledge and expertise in such a convenient form. There is simply no other way that I could have access to such a wealth of information. Thank you! :clap::clap:
Mel

robertsloan2
01-21-2011, 03:19 PM
improvemypaintings.com didn't come up for me either, though cyberartlearning.com did work.

Looking forward to tomorrow's webinar!

marionh
01-21-2011, 03:24 PM
No the link didn't work for me either.
Hope it does on Sunday.

Colorix
01-21-2011, 03:27 PM

Comes up for me, in Firefox. Check your cookies settings, or clear out cookies.

robert landon
01-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks Johannes for hosting these great webinars. I have followed your last couple of lessons and found them very informative . Looking forward to the next ones.
Robert Landon

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Hi Johannes, I am looking forward to the webinars. I live in the country and only have access to satellite internet and my band usage is limited to 300 mb per 24 hour period without getting fapped (put to dial up speed for 24 hours). Do you or anyone else have an idea approximately how much mb will be needed during the web cast? :crossfingers:

I called the webinar people and they say the average bandwidth usage will be 175 MB per hour. You may get cut of 30 min earlier. I say try it out and see how much time you get. You will get most of the class for sure.

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2011, 03:35 PM
improvemypaintings.com didn't come up for me either, though cyberartlearning.com did work.

Looking forward to tomorrow's webinar!
Robert there isn no webinar tomorrow. There is a demo on Sunday at 3 PM and the formal classes starting Saturday 29.

hewill4giveu
01-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Link isnt working for me either :(

flowergram
01-21-2011, 03:39 PM
lapainter, I have the same issue, you'll be able to watch only about 20 minutes. I've been relying on the downloads that have been available at a later date, downloading in the middle of the night during the fap-free time.

ladyB
01-21-2011, 03:40 PM
I did sign up for the webinars but I did not tell anything about myself.
I love painting and started with decorative painting. I studied how to paint flowers, fruits, veg. etc. I also painted folk art scenes. I spent many years selling decorative items. Having had enough of that I desired to go further and paint more realistic looking landscapes. Having found your webinars in
January was an answer to my desire. Painting abstract lines is very new to me and a new way of looking at forms. I really feel my left brain is working overtime and I have to work at getting into my right brain. I really worked hard to accomplish the look I wanted with decorative painting and I am more
than willing to work hard to accomplish landscape painting. The end result is
so worth the work.
Looking forward to the 12 weeks. Thank you for offering the webinars.
ladyB

Lisa Fiore
01-21-2011, 04:10 PM
The new link doesn't work for me, but the old one does....

mcbru
01-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Johannes I hope you are as excited about this as we all are. You said many times in December that you thought your webinar idea had legs. Turns out, it is possibly a centipede. I'm planning on attending, have been since you first mentioned it. Thank you for your time, knowledge, and grace.:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dharma_bum
01-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Glad this came together Johannes. I will be participating. The posted link works for me in Safari and Firefox (Snow Leopard)

Dan

jmcedeno
01-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Johannes, thank you very much for doing such a wonderful thing for us. This is great for me because I am physical disabled on wheelchair which makes it almost impossible for me to attend workshops since I do not drive. I took your Seascape webinar last week and it was wonderful. To be able to study with you via Internet is a "Dream come true". I have a copy of the article you wrote few years ago on Landscape Composition and it has become my "Bible" since landscape painting is my preferred subject that I do mostly from photographs from the Landscape Forum of WC. So, definitely I'll be taking your classes.

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Johannes, thank you very much for doing such a wonderful thing for us. This is great for me because I am physical disabled on wheelchair which makes it almost impossible for me to attend workshops since I do not drive. I took your Seascape webinar last week and it was wonderful. To be able to study with you via Internet is a "Dream come true". I have a copy of the article you wrote few years ago on Landscape Composition and it has become my "Bible" since landscape painting is my preferred subject that I do mostly from photographs from the Landscape Forum of WC. So, definitely I'll be taking your classes.

Well there would be no dream come true without you. I am also looking forward to seeing you grow artistically. We will have paint alongs and all kinds of fun learning stuff.

IrmaH322
01-21-2011, 04:52 PM
I didn't tell about myself when I signed up. I have painted in acrylics on and off for several years. I took a 6 months portrait class in water-soluble oils. From 2006 to 2009 took watercolor classes. Last year I added more acrylics to my work. I have concentrated in close up flowers and birds; now I want to add landscape to the birds but it is not working, don't know how to paint a landscape. I have attended your webinars since Dec. 12 and you have opened my eyes to real good painting. I don't like my realistic approach anymore. Before the classes starts I am practicing loose brushstrokes, not easy for me. I really thank you for this great opportunity to be a better painter.
Irma H.

Violetta
01-21-2011, 04:52 PM
The link isn't working for me in Safari. It says Safari cannot find the server. Any ideas anyone?

granddad
01-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Woo Hoo!!!!! I'm so excited, I just can't hide it, you know the tune. Thanks Johannes and WC for doing this. I learn't so much with last years Webinar and as you can tell, I so excited about the upcoming ones. See you all there. james

robertsloan2
01-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Oh right, sorry. Looking forward to Sunday's video then - and definitely to the classes starting the 29th!

Google Chrome still won't let me into the link after I cleared out all the cookies. That's so frustrating. I hate having to import a new browser.

sherrysherman
01-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Oh right, sorry. Looking forward to Sunday's video then - and definitely to the classes starting the 29th!

Google Chrome still won't let me into the link after I cleared out all the cookies. That's so frustrating. I hate having to import a new browser.

I don't think it's your browser. I cleared cookies and neither Safari nor Firefox is able to find the server for the new domain name. Besides, so many of us would not be having the same problem if it were on our end.

I'd start suggesting causes, but then my cover disguise as an internet guru would be blown. (Okay, the only place that disguise works in in my own house. But still.) I do think it's gotta be on the improvemypaintings server end.

sherry

linettalee
01-21-2011, 05:42 PM
I am definitely excited about your webinar schedule! I was lucky enough to find out about your last couple and did get to watch them. What a wealth of information! Please count me in for the upcoming classes and sign me up, please. I am really not an experienced painter, but try hard to learn the methods and techniques to achieve the effects that I see and admire so. It is always amazing to me when someone like you makes learning so accessible. Thank you so much.

LynnM
01-21-2011, 05:47 PM
I can't get that link on either Firefox or Internet Express, I cleared all cookies just before hitting the link, but still no good. I can still get to JustinTV through cyberartlearning.com

newkidontheblock
01-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Count me in please. I am a 58yr old newbie in Australia, never having picked up paints but purchased some pastels 8 months ago. Currently making my way through the drawing and sketching lessons through this wonderful WC. My spouse and I are volunteering for the next 6 months on isolated properties around our state (Queensland) so will only be able to access some of the webinars. I thought attending some sessions is better than none, especially when I will have so many opportunities to take photos and do plein air drawings whilst away.
Thanks Jo for giving us this wonderful opportunity to learn from you, Lyn

susanc
01-21-2011, 06:05 PM
That is so weird. I get the "improvemypaintings (http://improvemypaintings.com/)" link just fine in Firefox--wonder why I am so special! :D

By the way, are any specific materials needed for the assignments in the classes, or do we wait until the first day to find out? Thanks!

winecountry
01-21-2011, 06:12 PM
this is for sherry and any other newbies who have not discovered it yet, of how to add a "signature" to your posts automatically everytime you make one and putting in C and C welcome with it means we can all comment as per WC rules, otherwise we can only say nice work etc...and you will not get any helpful critique.

If you never want any critique then don't put it on, some artists are very sensitive on this issue, and it's hard for us Johannes groupies as we automatically think you would like to know, and this way we don't have to fine print read each post you put up to keep from getting dinged by the Mods and guides for rule infractions

Thanks, Marion. I'll do that. I usually don't bother with formal "signatures," just type my name at the end. But this is a good reason to do it.

In case you don't know, since you are new here's how you make a "signature" ( took me months to discover it)

go to the top of the forum page and click on My WC see pink circle

this takes you to your set up page and on the left is a control panel and in that is a link "Edit Signature" see green circle... which takes you to where you can enter up to 4 lines...

when you get there you can put in your name and C and C welcome, and every post you put up will have that without any more typing...you can also add pics ( more complex work needed for that) and a quote you like as you have 4 lines available

hope this helps, it's what people here mean by signature:thumbsup:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2011/103030-make_a_signature.jpg

norskgal
01-21-2011, 06:34 PM
I am also "in" and plan on attending as many sessions as I can. Most of my experience is in drawing (charcoal, graphite and colored pencil.) And watercolor. I have dabbled in pastels and water miscible oils too. (real dillatante here) That said I am an enthusiastic and prolific student ... addicted to studying about art. Viewed the "Seascape" webinar last sunday. I understood much and also learned much. Wonderful eye opener to me. Now I understand why brushwork of my older work looks solid but the piece just doesn't "cut the mustard". Artwork seems to me to be an exercise in choices and problem solving. Your well presented information will add many tools to my toolbox. And for that I will thank you in advance.

Oh, and a question ... will the sessions priced at $9.99 through ArtistTVNetwork be $9.99 to their subscribers as well?

Carol

hewill4giveu
01-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Thank you for showing us how to do the signature sure will save us time.

IMaybe
01-21-2011, 06:56 PM
:wave: I do hope its not to late to get on board with this! i just got it in my email today! Don't have the webinar code, yet tho, so don't foregt me! thanks, really looking forward to this, I know it will be great.

Mary Y
01-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Johannes,
I hope to take as many of your weekend webinairs as possible.Thank you for working so hard to achieve this with F&M media.
I have been trying to paint in watercolour and pastel for about six years with slow progress.I was very encouraged to hear you say in one of your lectures that painting can be learned.
It's wonderful that we will be able to purchase any lessons we need or miss.
Looking forward to the29th.:clap:

RainySea
01-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Wow, I did not know that about the comments. . . added it to my sig.
TY

elisamaria
01-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Hi Johannes and all enthusiastic new friends,

Im so happy to have been accepted as a member in Wetcanvas today. My name is Elisabeth, 64, married, living in Sweden and partly in Finland. I got the address to this goldmine = Johannes, through the Pastel Guild of Europe, the most outstanding teacher full of enery and such a loving person, who has devoted his free time unconditionally lecturing hours and weeks with such enthusiasm, spontaneity and humor totally free of charge! I thank you from all my heart , Johannes. I want to thank you Wetcanvas and F&W so much that these classes will continue! Im very happy for all of us and will register myself as soon as the registrating address appears.

Im a home made "artist", got help from books and some videos. Practicing some drawing and painting mainly in pastel and enjoy watercolor too. I have learnt so much during these classes and Im really looking forward to joining again.

All the Demos have been so instructive to watch and listen! I believe Wetcanvas and F&W have made a very good chose with Johannes. I watched on Youtube the interview from the Art Classes in Edmonton. Great!

Robert Sloan, thank you ever so much for all your notes you have been doing during the classes in December! They are just so good and easy to grasp and you so kind doing the "secretary" part!

Elisabeth:) :) :music:

Linda O. Cohen
01-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Glad to be learning even more. Am looking forward to growing and growing. Thanks you,
Linda O.C.

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2011, 07:20 PM
That is so weird. I get the "improvemypaintings (http://improvemypaintings.com/)" link just fine in Firefox--wonder why I am so special! :D

By the way, are any specific materials needed for the assignments in the classes, or do we wait until the first day to find out? Thanks!

Just use the other link if the "improvemypaintings.com" doesn't work. I just added the servers to the domain and it takes upto 72 hours to be updated.
I will provide the material to you. What you should have is reference photos that you have taken of landscapes ready so we can discuss them.

Nansketch
01-21-2011, 07:22 PM
I have already mentioned that I will join the classes -- so, about myself -- I started drawing about 3 years ago and working in pastel just over a year ago. Have been fortunate to take a few classes locally but majority of my learning has been on WC. My work in landscapes is very limited so I am really looking forward to these sessions.

Welcome to all the newcomers to WC -- there are wonderful, friendly people in all of the forums -- great fun.

Oh, I was not able to link to the 'improvemypainting' but do have access to the older link.

Great to meet all of you and thanks again to Johannes.

Best,
Nancy

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2011, 07:23 PM
I am also "in" and plan on attending as many sessions as I can. Most of my experience is in drawing (charcoal, graphite and colored pencil.) And watercolor. I have dabbled in pastels and water miscible oils too. (real dillatante here) That said I am an enthusiastic and prolific student ... addicted to studying about art. Viewed the "Seascape" webinar last sunday. I understood much and also learned much. Wonderful eye opener to me. Now I understand why brushwork of my older work looks solid but the piece just doesn't "cut the mustard". Artwork seems to me to be an exercise in choices and problem solving. Your well presented information will add many tools to my toolbox. And for that I will thank you in advance.

Oh, and a question ... will the sessions priced at $9.99 through ArtistTVNetwork be $9.99 to their subscribers as well?

Carol
The live classes are free. The recorded webinars along with the live webcam demos will be $9.99 for each weekend = 4 hours of instruction.

lapainter
01-21-2011, 07:25 PM
lapainter, I have the same issue, you'll be able to watch only about 20 minutes. I've been relying on the downloads that have been available at a later date, downloading in the middle of the night during the fap-free time.
flowergram, Thanks for the info. I think I will be using the later downloads also. I have non fap time from 2 to 7 am. One of the downsides to living in the country is resources are limited.:)

amarilla
01-21-2011, 08:13 PM
I'm interested in the upcoming classes beginning in January.

lam
01-21-2011, 08:16 PM
I would like to participate! Sounds great!

Heartsong
01-21-2011, 08:24 PM
Add me to the list. Eileen Belanger

Carol C
01-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Hi Joe, Carol here from Tofield. This sounds great. I will try to get to highspeed internet. Enjoyed seascape demo and look forward more learning. Thanks

jmcedeno
01-21-2011, 09:44 PM
Well there would be no dream come true without you. I am also looking forward to seeing you grow artistically. We will have paint alongs and all kinds of fun learning stuff.

You are very kind.

winecountry
01-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Johannes....do we post paintings here? or start a new thread for critiques?

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Johannes....do we post paintings here? or start a new thread for critiques?

Here please.

scot_belle
01-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Johannes,

This is my first time to sign up for one of your webinar's, and I am not sure that I am in the correct spot. In fact, I am a total newbie to this site.

I wish to be included in the class:
"Live web Art classes with Johannes"
Every Saturday and Sunday from January 29 to April 17, 2011

Thank you so very much, for offering this class, and I look forward to being able to be included. The only real hitch, is trying to figure out what time this will be available to me....as I am out in on the west coast.

My member moniker is scot_belle

susanc
01-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Hi scot_belle,

Yes, you are definitely in the right place! Keep watching this thread for Johannes to give us the link.

Time: From 3 to 5 PM Eastern Standard Time...

I'm on the west coast, too, so we'll be attending at noon--starting just a week from tomorrow! :clap:

B4painter
01-22-2011, 01:07 AM
I'm back home and wanting to be added to your list of participants please,
A little about me: I am relatively new to the "fine art" way of painting, having spent most of my years in the "engraving" field with a side hobby of decorative arts. I am a 7 yr. cancer survivor with some disabilities as a result. I took up oil paints to explore the medical benefits of having art in my life. I am eager to work hard and improve my skills with Johannes and all of you. Thank you Johannes for graciously providing us with these lessons and also for getting F&W to sponsor them as that also is a blessing for me as I am on government assistance for the disabled.

Davkin
01-22-2011, 01:14 AM
Here's a quickie small pastel I just finished for the January Pastel Spotlight;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2011/201970-green_barn.jpg

Obviously not great work, but it is very small, 5" X 4" and done on cruddy Canson sketch paper. The pastels were mostly Nupastel and Carbothello pencils. I also experimented with a watercolor underpainting. I think I did a few things right, like using the green vegetation to guide the eye through though the painting and used the tree and bushes to keep the eye from leaving out the side and I got pretty good varigation in the field. I imagine Joe won't like the hay texture along the very bottom, not sure how I feel about it. Besides better technical execution I'm not sure what could be improved. I'll be interested to hear your ideas.

David

robertsloan2
01-22-2011, 01:22 AM
I'm glad this thread is exploding so fast. This course is going to be incredible. I'm also glad to see so many other disabled people showing up for it - this is my path to become self supporting again. Johannes, thank you so much for lighting the fire in me again.

I've improved more than I can describe from the December classes and your videos. It's incredible. Thank you for doing this!

Colorix
01-22-2011, 06:20 AM
Great you got in, Elisabeth!

Hi to all new people!

marionh
01-22-2011, 07:27 AM
Still no good with the link. I'm on Firefox. Waiting patiently for the server up date.

Did I miss what the demo is tomorrow? Can't seem to find the post again.

gingersnap
01-22-2011, 07:48 AM
Hello I would like to partake in the webinar! Thankyou Johannes and F&W! Thankyou Charlie for posting in the pastel forum! ginger

the drover's dog
01-22-2011, 07:59 AM
Thank you for this wonderful opportunity. I was so disappointed that I knew nothing of the December classes until they were over. Thanks Robert for the wonderful notes which I have devoured. Hoping to be included in these next ones despite having to lose much beauty sleep to participate. Trying to work out what time the classes will actually occur in our Eastern Daylight saving time in Australia. Will be sometime in the wee small hours I fear. Mary Y on the other side of our vast continent says she will have to be online and raring to go by 4 am. With luck I might have a couple of hours longer in bed than her.

About me? I'm recently widowed and currently struggling with a few health issues. Painting keeps me sane. I'm President of our local Artist's Society which takes a lot of my spare time.

I came back to art when I retired from competitive equestrian sports and dispersed my large horse stud. At last I had some leisure time. I've always had a good eye and an interest in artwork, my mother and sister both painted, so I started with decorative art because that was the only class available in our rural area. Drove me potty painting on useless wooden "things" and following a pattern, but it did give me a wonderful knowledge of brushwork and the use of mediums and for that I am grateful. Started doing my own thing with acrylics and pastels. Now I mainly use pastels but hope to move into oils this year - a medium I haven't used since grade 10, which was a long time ago.

Please count me in as a participant. I gather we are all still waiting for the link through which we will sign up?

Dale

edtree
01-22-2011, 08:13 AM
I'm so glad to have the opportunity to attend your free painting tutorials; thank you for the invitation, Johannes! Please add me to your student list for the January classes.

A bit about me...I've been painting about 5 years, working mostly in acrylics. I would like to improve enough to be able to at least supplement my income with my art.

Elizabeth

luvs2paint1
01-22-2011, 09:20 AM
Wow, this thread is just exploding! :clap:

A little bit about myself: I started painting in 1999 and learned all I could on my own until I found and became a student of Joe's for three years through cyberartlearning. I also met Joe in person a few years back and had a one on one painting workshop with him at his home. I have a muscle weakness and a fused spine. I am 44, am married and have 2 grown kids living at home still. :wave:

Singing Wind
01-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Thank You, I what to signup for the Sat. and Sun.

Kathy Neff

Johannes Instructor
01-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Johannes,

This is my first time to sign up for one of your webinar's, and I am not sure that I am in the correct spot. In fact, I am a total newbie to this site.

I wish to be included in the class:
"Live web Art classes with Johannes"
Every Saturday and Sunday from January 29 to April 17, 2011

Thank you so very much, for offering this class, and I look forward to being able to be included. The only real hitch, is trying to figure out what time this will be available to me....as I am out in on the west coast.

My member moniker is scot_belle
The West coast is Pacific Time which is 3 hours earlier than EST. Your classes will begin at noon.

Johannes Instructor
01-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Here's a quickie small pastel I just finished for the January Pastel Spotlight;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2011/201970-green_barn.jpg

Obviously not great work, but it is very small, 5" X 4" and done on cruddy Canson sketch paper. The pastels were mostly Nupastel and Carbothello pencils. I also experimented with a watercolor underpainting. I think I did a few things right, like using the green vegetation to guide the eye through though the painting and used the tree and bushes to keep the eye from leaving out the side and I got pretty good varigation in the field. I imagine Joe won't like the hay texture along the very bottom, not sure how I feel about it. Besides better technical execution I'm not sure what could be improved. I'll be interested to hear your ideas.

David
Davkin you are very good at simplifying things which is great. Well the rectangle at the bottom is still noticeable but doesn't bother because it is the same value as the rest of the grass. I think your green visual line is too obvious though. Down play it.

Johannes Instructor
01-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Thank you for this wonderful opportunity. I was so disappointed that I knew nothing of the December classes until they were over. Thanks Robert for the wonderful notes which I have devoured. Hoping to be included in these next ones despite having to lose much beauty sleep to participate. Trying to work out what time the classes will actually occur in our Eastern Daylight saving time in Australia. Will be sometime in the wee small hours I fear. Mary Y on the other side of our vast continent says she will have to be online and raring to go by 4 am. With luck I might have a couple of hours longer in bed than her.

About me? I'm recently widowed and currently struggling with a few health issues. Painting keeps me sane. I'm President of our local Artist's Society which takes a lot of my spare time.

I came back to art when I retired from competitive equestrian sports and dispersed my large horse stud. At last I had some leisure time. I've always had a good eye and an interest in artwork, my mother and sister both painted, so I started with decorative art because that was the only class available in our rural area. Drove me potty painting on useless wooden "things" and following a pattern, but it did give me a wonderful knowledge of brushwork and the use of mediums and for that I am grateful. Started doing my own thing with acrylics and pastels. Now I mainly use pastels but hope to move into oils this year - a medium I haven't used since grade 10, which was a long time ago.

Please count me in as a participant. I gather we are all still waiting for the link through which we will sign up?

Dale

I have to wait until F&W Media provides me with the webinar link. As soon as they do I will post it here. Just keep checking this forum daily.

Johannes Instructor
01-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Still no good with the link. I'm on Firefox. Waiting patiently for the server up date.

Did I miss what the demo is tomorrow? Can't seem to find the post again.
The demo tomorrow is to keep the flame burning until next weekend. Here is the link again for the free webcam demo:

Johannes Instructor
01-22-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm glad this thread is exploding so fast. This course is going to be incredible. I'm also glad to see so many other disabled people showing up for it - this is my path to become self supporting again. Johannes, thank you so much for lighting the fire in me again.

I've improved more than I can describe from the December classes and your videos. It's incredible. Thank you for doing this!

Yes, you have Robert. No doubt in my mind.

reeta
01-22-2011, 10:37 AM
I would like to take part in this.... what do I need to do?

DGrau
01-22-2011, 10:56 AM
I would like to join in when I am able, to see if anything new is to be learned.

Ruthie57
01-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Hi Elisabeth :wave: Good to see you here. A big hello to all the other new members too :wave:

I'd better say a little about me. I started art evening classes in 2007 after taking early retirement. Became interested in animal portraits and took a diploma in pet portraits. I found pastels late in 2007 and, although I've tried all the painting mediums, I feel happier with a pastel stick than with a brush so I use pastels almost exclusively now.

I've tried all sorts of different subjects. Figurative work seems to come more naturally than landscape but I have been trying to improve my landscape work in the last few months. The webinars and this course could not have come at a better time for me!

vickittyedmonds
01-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Please add me to your online classes.

bnoonan
01-22-2011, 11:22 AM
I have to say I'm so darn impressed with all the students here so far. Keep it up and I'll see what I can do to share the wealth.
Barb

winecountry
01-22-2011, 11:22 AM
done plein air yesterday....I'm starting to put in seagulls otherwise there is no clue in these closer works for scale it could be pebbles and a ripple, but the wave is 12" high or more....6x8 inches oil

a long way to go yet on getting this plein air...but it's getting better...could not decide on the water which got a deep dark green closer to me, a the foot of the rocks...and it's so hard to compose out there, to pick a place and get the moving water and fast changing light...some times seems I'll never get it.

question for Johannes....there was a large shadow cast on the water from the rock, not dark, but there and how to put that in I tried several times but kept losing it...I will try again when it's drier

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2011/103030-arch_rock_1_21_11.jpg

In case I havent said. I want to be part of the classes...
I'm a lifelong artist, but only turned to representational work about 6 years ago, and did mostly animals, I started working on landscape 6 months ago. Painting is my life.

Flo5548
01-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Johannes, I hope it's not too late to add me in. Thanks.

rugman
01-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Johannes- wow, what a ride this is! I was following the original Clyde Aspevig thread when some Johannes guy show up out of nowhere. Now look what has been created!

Thanks again, Johannes! Your willingness to share and teach is inspiring. Looking forward to the classes.

I've always enjoyed art. However I took the science route in college. But I always created with my hands beit woodworking, drawing whatever. Now I own/operate small flooring business. Just got serious about painting a few years ago. Started oil painting last winter. Pastels is my main medium. With wife and two kids, and job, I can only paint at night (usually late), or on weekends. The vastness of the Wyoming landscapes give me much inspiration. With Jo's help, I hope to share these landscapes with others in the form of paintings.

bnoonan
01-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Did I understand correctly that if I just sign up for the TV link you provided , I'll be part of the class? Barb

singingBrush
01-22-2011, 11:48 AM
I have not gotten a code yet for the webinar. How do I get signed on, if there is no code? I posted a few days ago and keep getting emails about it, but, they seem to be the same initial email announcing it, but, NO code. Where's the beef, or should I say code?

Nancy:heart:

Farbenhexe
01-22-2011, 11:55 AM
I would also love to join - if its still possible - any idea what time it will start for the European guys?

winecountry
01-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Did I understand correctly that if I just sign up for the TV link you provided , I'll be part of the class? Barb
yep Barb it's that easy

click on the link he gave...I also clicked on "follow" and that gives me email updates too whenever he goes on camera

winecountry
01-22-2011, 11:58 AM
I would also love to join - if its still possible - any idea what time it will start for the European guys?
there are several time converters on the internet, just google time converter

robert landon
01-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks Johannes for these wonderful informative webinars.
looking forward to everyone of them ! Rob

Johannes Instructor
01-22-2011, 12:12 PM
The class should be at 9 PM CET Central European Time.

Johannes Instructor
01-22-2011, 12:14 PM
I would like to take part in this.... what do I need to do?

Just check daily for a link to register in the webinar in this forum and maybe type a few words now that you are at it.

Johannes Instructor
01-22-2011, 12:18 PM
done plein air yesterday....I'm starting to put in seagulls otherwise there is no clue in these closer works for scale it could be pebbles and a ripple, but the wave is 12" high or more....6x8 inches oil

a long way to go yet on getting this plein air...but it's getting better...could not decide on the water which got a deep dark green closer to me, a the foot of the rocks...and it's so hard to compose out there, to pick a place and get the moving water and fast changing light...some times seems I'll never get it.

question for Johannes....there was a large shadow cast on the water from the rock, not dark, but there and how to put that in I tried several times but kept losing it...I will try again when it's drier

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2011/103030-arch_rock_1_21_11.jpg

In case I havent said. I want to be part of the classes...
I'm a lifelong artist, but only turned to representational work about 6 years ago, and did mostly animals, I started working on landscape 6 months ago. Painting is my life.
Sweety I feel your rock shape in the middle is symetrical. It is easier to glaze the shadow in because you will still see thru what you initially put in. Ultramarine blue is a transparent color, good for glazing.

Johannes Instructor
01-22-2011, 12:21 PM

The webcam link needs no signing in unless you wish to text chat with fellow artists while the demo is in progress. That is fun! To watch the free demo just click here:
Also if you click on "follow" you will get an instant email letting you know any time I am painting live.

Dana Design
01-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Deb, the rocks are well handled. The top evergreen area needs more work. It would've been nice to have included a platform at the bottom of the rocks to allow the viewer to step in.

Agree perhaps about the trees but I don't agree about the bottom of the rocks. I think the drop-off of the rocks adds a nice tension to the painting and creates a very dramatic effect. Well done, Deb.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12568552#post12568552

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2011/29065-496901-Picture_078.jpg

hewill4giveu
01-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Okay Johannes and others here goes PLEASE keep in mind its about my 3 oil landscape. Its not anywhere near where i want to be but its a beginning. I had to stop. Areas i had trouble in well trees, you can see the stream lost its ice it just blurred. bushes. I still need to work on color mixing . This has more pink in it and green it just didnt show up on the camera version.

http://thumb7.webshots.net/t/82/182/3/24/29/2439324290106166367NDqZIU_th.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2439324290106166367NDqZIU)
double click on it an itwill open bigger It has more green and pink in the snow it just isnt showing up with the pic

crazywoman53
01-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Hi to All and welcome to the new ones. This is fantastic to see so many people coming on board. I can't wait to start.

David.. I agree your line of green is a little too hard. YOu are making big steps though.. can see some grand paintings in your future.
Colleen.. you should PA more often.. all your hard work is paying off. This last one is more fresh and alive and the whites not over done. Good going!

Here is my latest attempt at a snow scene. I got the cabin too close to the center, but in still learning the qualities of pastel board I found you can not press too hard while sketching or it makes an indent that you can't get rid of and creates a ghost image.. so had to leave it where it is. I wanted to make the creek seem to disappear in the foreground rather than take it obvioiusly off the painting.. not sure this is acceptable or not. Does it work? Should I have used more reflective colors? http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jan-2011/137465-John-Arthur-Creek.jpg

Ruthie57
01-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Terri, my first impression of this was Wow!! I think you have improved no end already, and only your 3rd.
A few things, on closer scrutiny, which I see may need attention are...the 2 stands of grass on the left look much the same shape....a couple of the trees "kiss" the top of the painting and the far left tree cuts through a dip in the mountain. Don't know why that last one bothers me but it seems to draw the eye.
I like everything about the stream and the snow!

Ruthie57
01-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Colleen, I really like the brush strokes and colours you have used on those rocks and I like the feel of the wave too.

Crazywoman, lovely! beautiful trees. For me the creek works fine as you've done it.