PDA

View Full Version : Johannes-Student Discussion Lounge

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Johannes Instructor
01-27-2011, 06:03 PM
I also want to try and join in and I was able to connect to the site, clicked on follow in order to get the email which would give me the passcode. I was locked in to that site, had to shut down and now I have an email from <Justin TV> asking me to confirm. Despite all the precautions and virus software, I am getting spammed to no end and my hot mail account was hacked in. Before I confirm, I just want to ensure that this `<justin tv< is legitimate.

A bit about myself. I am a hobbyist and painting was one of my active retirement goal. I started with oil and painted mostly still life and now that I have been living in the country for 4 years, I am drawn towards landscapes. I paint strictly for the pleasure of it and I give my paintings to family and friends and decorate my house. I took up acrylics about 3 years ago.

I lurk a lot on the WetCanvas site and very seldom post and when I did, I received some very useful and constructive critiques. I find that I learn so much by reading all posts, seeing <through the artists' eyes< and reading about various techniques.

Louise

Justin.tv is legitimate. I don't believe they are in the spamming email business. They make their money off advertising and some well know companies advertise on their site. They would not lose their credibility that way. It would be financial suicide for them.

Johannes Instructor
01-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Johannes,

Technical question for you. You mentioned in one of your demos that you reccommend underpainting with acrylics under an oil painting. I read today however that it's not reccommended because acrylic paint is too smooth, that oils won't stick to them very well over time. As a beginner I'm not real worried about longevity but I wonder if underpainting with acrylics is a habit I shouldn't develope.

David
Underpainting for oil colour[/URL]

Acrylics can be used for underpainting on a stretched canvas provided the paint film remains thin. Thicker underpainting layers are possible on boards.
[URL]http://www.winsornewton.com/resource-centre/hints-tips-and-techniques/acrylic-colour/colours/ (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/)

I trust what Winsor and Newton says.

Johannes Instructor
01-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Johannes, the "Golden Pond" is awesome, the light is incredible, could you, please, give a little detail about the support, the colors used, etc. I assume is oil on canvas?

I also have done it in watercolor.
I used:

Yellow oche pale
Indian red
Ultramarine Blue
Titanium White

I threw green out

Davkin
01-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Underpainting for oil colour

Acrylics can be used for underpainting on a stretched canvas provided the paint film remains thin. Thicker underpainting layers are possible on boards.
http://www.winsornewton.com/resource-centre/hints-tips-and-techniques/acrylic-colour/colours/

I trust what Winsor and Newton says.

Thanks Joe

hewill4giveu
01-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Have i missed the link somewhere for tommarrows pastel class? I know he was suppose to post it today? Thanks

Johannes Instructor
01-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Have i missed the link somewhere for tommarrows pastel class? I know he was suppose to post it today? Thanks

It is a pastel demo. I offered to keep the students interested until the formal classes began. It is not a class per se.

http://cyberartlearning.com/webcam/webcam1size.html

hewill4giveu
01-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Thank you just dont want to miss anything.

B4painter
01-28-2011, 12:20 AM
I offered to take notes for Robert tomorrow (Friday) because Robert can not be taking them tomorrow, however........my mother in law passed away today, and I also will not be there as far as I know right now! Please someone offer to take the notes and post them, we need you to volunteer. Thanks so much...Barb S
Johannes: I really hope to be here Sat. and Sun though Johannes, if not, please don't think I have no interest in the classes because I am more than interested, but these things happen!

Davkin
01-28-2011, 12:40 AM
I'd offer to post notes but my notes barely even make sense to me. :lol:

David

Davkin
01-28-2011, 12:41 AM
For consideration of my fellow Johannes art school students;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2011/201970-autumnpath-01.jpg

This is actually my 5th attempt at this subject based on a photo I took in fall of 2009. My first attempt was in acrylic and it was so far off I didn't even finish it or post it. I tried using oils over the acrylic and I did post that though it was still way off the mark. Then I tried pastel, and this is the 3rd version. While it's still not quite what I'm after I think I'll give this subject a break for a while but I'm sure I'll return to it later. This is 8X10 on Colorfix paper mostly Rembrandt and Sennelier pastels.

David

marionh
01-28-2011, 03:33 AM
David,

A nice lively painting of what I think is a difficult subject.

I have some observations about your painting, and of course these are just my ideas. Your bank of yellow trees block the view into the depth of the painting and I think they need some breathing spaces in them. In the tutorial about trees Johannes talks about putting some spaces inbetween the bottom branches of the trees.

The background trees need to be bluer or more violet to recede and they need a more melodic line.

The tops of the yellow trees need a more melodic line too and some of the leaves shoul be softer to give a more 3D effect (this can be done by tapping with your finger)
Also introduce a little purple/violet into the shade of your evergreen trees.

I've tried to do some of this in photoshop - but please take this with a pinch of salt as my photoshop skills are not great:lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jan-2011/42113-test_1.jpg

Ruthie57
01-28-2011, 04:03 AM
Good tips there from Marion Dave. I'd just like to add that the path is beautiful, melodic and very well done. It draws me in but then the yellow foliage stops me. I would lift the foliage where the path disappears and replace it with distant foliage to give the feeling of the path continuing. I think it would invite the viewer into the picture to linger a while!

Johannes Instructor
01-28-2011, 08:40 AM
For consideration of my fellow Johannes art school students;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2011/201970-autumnpath-01.jpg

This is actually my 5th attempt at this subject based on a photo I took in fall of 2009. My first attempt was in acrylic and it was so far off I didn't even finish it or post it. I tried using oils over the acrylic and I did post that though it was still way off the mark. Then I tried pastel, and this is the 3rd version. While it's still not quite what I'm after I think I'll give this subject a break for a while but I'm sure I'll return to it later. This is 8X10 on Colorfix paper mostly Rembrandt and Sennelier pastels.

David

Dave I always liked your simplification. You only focus on major masses and ignore detail. Remember I have said:
Create and abstract shape
Vary the colors in that shape
Indicate INDENTATIONS. This will help the 3D look
Gradate the value
Point 3 is missing.

oils4me
01-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Johannes I just wanted to say that I only found out about you a few days ago and since then I've been reading everything in these threads and am extremely thankful for what I've learned so far...and omg as much as I thought I knew, I now know it was very little, in just these few short days I've learned so much, thank you. I will definitely be tuning in though admittedly lurking and reading at this point because other than some drawings and simple pen and ink stuff I've never done any serious painting...

I have a question about the pastel demo today....Is there anything else to do other than going to the JTV page to see the demo? Is that right...I don't want to miss a thing!! Thanks

swingeniron
01-28-2011, 09:35 AM
I have known Johannes for a number of years now. I have done several online courses from him, attended a live workshop from him in Mississauga, Ontario, been to his home and studio in Hamilton Ontario a couple of times. I am looking forward to this next twelve weeks with a lot of enthusiasm. Jo is an awesome artist.

Cal Warren

Colorix
01-28-2011, 10:43 AM
oils4me, you can watch and hear the demo without signing up (on Justin). For chatting, signing in is needed.

I have posted a tweaked version of a painting I made towards end of december, after most classes. Though, I've posted it in two forums already, and as a third posting here would be regarded as flooding by the WC User Agreement, here is a link (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12771012#post12771012)to the painting. (Still not happy with main tree, will change that.)

See you in a few hours!

hewill4giveu
01-28-2011, 11:14 AM
I will give it ago but wont promise nothing till its done and but they wont be like roberts hes the master. I will use word to do the notes then try to go back in and do pics for it. Johannes may just do a download for them like he usually does for us too. Which will be much better in the long run. But notes you can just pic them up and go too so both are nice.

Blah
01-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Not sure exactly what Im signing up for but will give it a try. :wave: Dave
This goes for me too. I don't know what a webinar is, but I see this as an opportunity to learn, and I have signed up. Thank you & WetCanvas Live for doing this.
By the way, I live in Chennai, India and will be up from 1:30 to 3:30 am to participate.

Johannes Instructor
01-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Johannes I just wanted to say that I only found out about you a few days ago and since then I've been reading everything in these threads and am extremely thankful for what I've learned so far...and omg as much as I thought I knew, I now know it was very little, in just these few short days I've learned so much, thank you. I will definitely be tuning in though admittedly lurking and reading at this point because other than some drawings and simple pen and ink stuff I've never done any serious painting...

I have a question about the pastel demo today....Is there anything else to do other than going to the JTV page to see the demo? Is that right...I don't want to miss a thing!! Thanks
No, you don't need anything else to do. Seeing my pastel demo at 2 PM is easier than checking your email. All you have to do is click on this link and you will be seeing a live pastel demo.
http://cyberartlearning.com/webcam/webcam1size.html
Below is a painting I did some time ago that will be redone in pastel.

Davkin
01-28-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm glad I'm taking the afternoon off work for this! That painting has many of the same elements my pastel I just posted did, I'm sure it will be very educational to see how you handle them.

David

robertsloan2
01-28-2011, 01:34 PM
David, quit running yourself down. I like your pastel version. The massed foliage of the turning colors in the trees is beautiful. The scene is full of light and color. You avoided overdetailing. You have a great visual path into the scene. The sky isn't boring - I like that drift of cloud across it. The hill could be a little more of a musical line but you're moving toward that.

This painting has far more hits than misses. Did I mention you have a gorgeous color harmony centering on that golden aspen! I can almost feel the warmth in this painting, the last warmth of fall when the chill is down for just that sweet hour.

Excellent. Yes, let it go for a while and work on others, but don't be so hard on yourself. You're learning by leaps and bounds.

Barb, great news! Guess who got home on time! I've got a fresh sketchbook out to take notes in and everything - dug out my Bienfang Notesketch. The pages are split between ruled areas to write and a blank area to sketch, so today's notes may be more sketch-heavy again. Time to get set up and get out my Pitt pens and my writing pen!

I'm thrilled and excited about the pastel demo. This is my medium, this is where I'm already strongest - more than watercolor or oils, for sure.

Johannes Instructor
01-28-2011, 01:38 PM
David, quit running yourself down. I like your pastel version. The massed foliage of the turning colors in the trees is beautiful. The scene is full of light and color. You avoided overdetailing. You have a great visual path into the scene. The sky isn't boring - I like that drift of cloud across it. The hill could be a little more of a musical line but you're moving toward that.

This painting has far more hits than misses. Did I mention you have a gorgeous color harmony centering on that golden aspen! I can almost feel the warmth in this painting, the last warmth of fall when the chill is down for just that sweet hour.

Excellent. Yes, let it go for a while and work on others, but don't be so hard on yourself. You're learning by leaps and bounds.

Barb, great news! Guess who got home on time! I've got a fresh sketchbook out to take notes in and everything - dug out my Bienfang Notesketch. The pages are split between ruled areas to write and a blank area to sketch, so today's notes may be more sketch-heavy again. Time to get set up and get out my Pitt pens and my writing pen!

I'm thrilled and excited about the pastel demo. This is my medium, this is where I'm already strongest - more than watercolor or oils, for sure.
I agree with Robert.

marionh
01-28-2011, 01:39 PM
David, quit running yourself down.

I agree, Robert is always very eloquent.

Glad you're back in time Robert. I hope the day was not too stressful for yourself.

Looking forward to the demo. Such a wonderful subject.

Curtis63
01-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks F+W and Johannes for the chance to further my art instruction and enhance my artist talent, and all for free. This is really great can't wait to get started.

robertsloan2
01-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Thank you, Johannes! And thank you to everyone who gave me such warm support for showing up on time. I lucked. We were able to get out of the house early this morning and it all went fast, so I had an hour to spare to rest before the demo started.

Class starts tomorrow! Whoohoo!

Here's three big pages of notes for today. I think I like the large format, makes scanning easier. These are in a Bienfang Notesketch, ruled lines on the left column and blank white on the right. Sometimes text slops over but it encourages me to sketch - and has lots of pages.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jan-2011/70184-Class-Notes-JV-Pastel-Jan-28-2011.jpg
Page one has color notes in Polychromos pastel on the plain sketch paper. For texture, I did the square strokes in miniature with the ends of square sticks. That works too. Fat square sticks like Terry Ludwig can work like the sides of others.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jan-2011/70184-Class-Notes-JV-Pastel-Jan-28-2011-2.jpg
Back to the Pitt Pens on this page. Trees came out very dark because I overlaid violet and yellow ochre on them.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jan-2011/70184-Class-Notes-JV-Pastel-Jan-28-2011-3.jpg
Tried to stay away from deep dark combos on this page.

oils4me
01-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Thank you Johannes, it was incredible to see you at work...what an inspiration you are, you make it seem so easy!! Very excited about the upcoming classes!

Robert thank you again for such great notes!! :)

And thanks to the other attendees for your help with questions too...it was a great demo...:)
Linda

Johannes Instructor
01-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Here is the pastel painting. At least my camera got the colors right.I can't upload for now so I set it up to be a URL. Click here to see it

http://cyberartlearning.com/Pastel-Golden-Nuggets.jpg

lonelm
01-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Wow what a difference a camera makes. Thank you once again for your amazing demonstration. It was amazing.

lonelm
01-28-2011, 06:04 PM
Thank you Robert for the outstanding notes, once again. I tried but alas did not come anywhere near the quality you output. Thanks again.

susanc
01-28-2011, 06:09 PM
My mind boggles at the number of people who have registered for the upcoming classes. Sherry, I hope you've saved a seat for me up front! :) It's definitely an idea whose time has come. I'm so glad F&W could see that, too. I've been waiting excitedly for this since Christmas! (This was all I wanted for Christmas) Less than 21 hours left!

Dot Hoffman
01-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Thank you Johannes for a great demo, and Robert, for great notes!!!

Davkin
01-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the demo Jo, it was well worth taking the afternoon off work to see it, I learned a ton. Did you record it and if so will it be available for download?

David

Johannes Instructor
01-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the demo Jo, it was well worth taking the afternoon off work to see it, I learned a ton. Did you record it and if so will it be available for download?

David
it's available at Justin.tv
http://www.justin.tv/artofjohannes/b/278449425

Kumquat
01-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Robert, I thought I was a compulsive note taker--mine belong in the garbage compared to yours! Yours have the signature of a very methodical, quick-thinking, artistic, and organized person. Thank you so much for sharing them with the rest of us!

Little Mary
01-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Thank you for offering these classes. I am looking forward to watch you and learning. :)

Zanart
01-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Thank you Johannes. I haven't done any painting in
pastels and after seeing your demo I think I will give
them a try. Looking forward to the classes.

Johannes Instructor
01-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Here is the painting I did today with the colors right. So when you see the justin video you can see the technique but don't trust the hue of the trees.

artnow1
01-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Hi Johannes: I'm interested in signing up for the Photo -Art Sessions. Is this where I sign in?

Johannes Instructor
01-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Hi Johannes: I'm interested in signing up for the Photo -Art Sessions. Is this where I sign in?
This forum is only for us to be exchanging info. I don't give the actual class here.
Please click on this link to regsiter for the class.

https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/589190704%20%3Chttps://www1.gotowebinar.com/register/589190704%3E%20?Portal=www1.gotowebinar.com&et_mid=83180&rid=2768408
(http://click.artists-hub.com/?qs=1a7a3a239df8f21b716fa20c66ee2597306767837e2702d4d9f24dfca7b542d5)

susanc
01-28-2011, 11:08 PM
Joe, I loved seeing the demo, and especially appreciated you explaining to Dave what you meant by indentations. I didn't quite understand what you were talking about when you mentioned it in his critique this morning, so I knew it was probably something I'm not doing! :) I know it's not easy to talk and paint at the same time, but you're one of the best I've seen who can do it. Thanks!

Johannes Instructor
01-28-2011, 11:49 PM
I finalized the painting with more finishing touches. Here it is:

Davkin
01-29-2011, 01:49 AM
After watching Jo's demo I just had to do a quick tree practice;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2011/201970-Fall_Trees-1.jpg

It's 8x10 on canson paper. It's an improvement but maybe too far the other way.

David

hewill4giveu
01-29-2011, 03:26 AM
You learn fast dakin good for you looks great

Fata_Morgana
01-29-2011, 04:23 AM
Hi guys, I've joined as well but might not make it to the second lesson either. As I get it it possible to buy a recording somehow. I'll participate as much as I can though. I'm looking forward to this.
I'm Yvonne Jensen, living in sweden and reasently started to paint after 20 years absence from it. To keep myself from beingto hard on the result I strted in new media, Colored Pencils and soft pastel. I'll pick up watercolor and oil again as well. I'm always curious. //Yvonne

Colorix
01-29-2011, 06:21 AM
Thank you Johannes for the Pastel demo, such a beautiful painting. I'm happy so many of the Pastel Guild of Europe's members and friends came to see it! Oh, the difference of colours between cameras is rather big.

Yvonne, great you're here. There will be downloads, for a fee of some $10, ca.

Fata_Morgana
01-29-2011, 06:32 AM
Thanks Charlie, that sounds perfect. I think it will be worth for future references as well. /Yvonne

Johannes Instructor
01-29-2011, 07:21 AM
Final verison after finishing touches. I add hints of green to offset the monochromatic trees.

Johannes Instructor
01-29-2011, 07:22 AM
After watching Jo's demo I just had to do a quick tree practice;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2011/201970-Fall_Trees-1.jpg

It's 8x10 on canson paper. It's an improvement but maybe too far the other way.

David

Now that is very well done. That is what I mean by indentations.

marionh
01-29-2011, 08:14 AM
Dave, lovely effect you have on the trees. They are looking very 3D. :thumbsup:

elisamaria
01-29-2011, 08:39 AM
What a good lesson in pastel painting you gave for the second time. Thank you Johannes for the lovely result, so beautiful! Did you get the 2 pencil sketches of finnish archipelago for evaluation before painting them?

Elisabeth

elisamaria
01-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Robert, I like so much your melodical sketches you offer us all. I admire you skills, writing, sketching, listen to Johannes and participating in the chat. Thank you so much!!!

Elisabeth

Johannes Instructor
01-29-2011, 09:36 AM
What a good lesson in pastel painting you gave for the second time. Thank you Johannes for the lovely result, so beautiful! Did you get the 2 pencil sketches of finnish archipelago for evaluation before painting them?

Elisabeth
I repeated a painting previously done in oils. I had worked out the problems in a thumbnail sketch in that oil painting however.

Johannes Instructor
01-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Here is a handout that contains a general summary of the points to be discussed in class today. Just right click link and select, "Save Target as" store it on your hard drive. You can get a free adobe reader on adobe.com if it doesn't open.

nana b
01-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Johannes, where should we send our reference photos for todays lesson?

Thanks,
Phyllis

ScottCooper
01-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Okay, this is the third oil study I've done since Christmas, and I haven't used oil in 25 years - bit of a learning curve. 6" x 8" canvas panel. Sorry about the glare, I didn't see it until I had downloaded it from the camera.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2011/535891-MarshSketch.jpg

oils4me
01-29-2011, 12:32 PM
I finalized the painting with more finishing touches. Here it is:

Absolutely gorgeous!! Linda

Johannes Instructor
01-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Volunteers please dig out a photo reference from your catalog that you are excited about to turn into a painting. We will discuss some of these photos in the web class today. Please post them in this thread:
http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869472

Thanks

Johannes Instructor
01-29-2011, 01:26 PM
The Web class will start at 3 PM Eastern Standard Time today Saturday 29. Click on this link to enter the class or register if you have not. I will see you soon:
https://www1.gotowebinar.com/register/589190704

Ruthie57
01-29-2011, 01:42 PM
I'll be there!

jmcedeno
01-29-2011, 01:45 PM
JOHANNES, thank you soooooooo! much, watching and listening to you yesterday was a thrill, what a wonderful experience, I learned in two hours what I didn't learn in years with pastels. I have one simple suggestion if I may: Do you think is possible to do an intermission of 5 or 10 minutes after the first hour?, I think it would be good for you too, to stretch a little.

marieUK
01-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Don't know if these are of any use, they are three shots we took of the same bay in Scotland and I've always intended to capture it. Feel free do use it however you want.
:wave: Marie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2011/3937-scot1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2011/3937-scot2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2011/3937-scot3.jpg

winecountry
01-29-2011, 02:18 PM
I was out of town Friday, but picked up the pastel demo that night when I got home. I got out my pastels and followed along with him as best I could, and ended at 1:30 am just short of the end of the demo...so this is about 90 min.

From here I would begin to refine edges clones ridgelines etc. ...but I'm going to stop here, as my heart is not really here in this kind of landscape which is not my environment, and nothing to do with the sea. However it was so valuable as a exercise for me. I learned to put on much stronger color than I normally do, how to created the reflections, and I added some small short strokes to move the surface so it didn't look too still and learned to clump the leaves better. It is nicer than any landscape like this I've tried on my own before ( this is the 4th one I"ve tried) and I'm looking to see how to apply this to my seascapes when I get to them in pastel.

As I was busy trying to use the colors he did , he says oh there is no green in this, even tho the camera makes it look that way...but I liked the greens I had so left them in.

The other reason I want to stop is I started on the textured side of the canson ( actually and old strathmore pad) and I don't like working the more refined shapes on that....only posting here in this thread

9x12 Canson Thanks so much Johannes, for the demo very interesting

Comments welcome PLease remember it's not done.....now the hard part is left getting it all uncloned, and melodic and balanced. so this would just be the main under structure. You can see how much his changed from this stage to his last post of the final one...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2011/103030-pastel_demo_study_3795.jpg

IrmaH322
01-29-2011, 02:31 PM
I have several photos but have to figure out how to post them.

MCook04
01-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Hello:

How do I sign up for this? I am totally new. Is there a link of something?

Mike

nana b
01-29-2011, 02:45 PM
I can't get in...have been trying for 5 or 6 minutes. Any suggestions?

Phyllis

Johannes Instructor
01-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Hello:

How do I sign up for this? I am totally new. Is there a link of something?

Mike
The Web class will start at 3 PM Eastern Standard Time today Saturday 29. Click on this link to enter the class or register if you have not. I will see you soon:

Johannes Instructor
01-29-2011, 02:53 PM
I can't get in...have been trying for 5 or 6 minutes. Any suggestions?

Phyllis

mooz49
01-29-2011, 02:59 PM
Fairhead Northern Ireland
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2011/27632-Fairhead_Northern_Ireland.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2011/27632-Fairhead_4.JPG

TerryKrysak
01-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Mount Rundle
Banff, Alberta
December 2009
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2011/160371-Mount_Rundle_Winter.JPG

anrapa
01-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Trying to post a photo..

jmpdd
01-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Title: How to use photos for composing stunning landscape paintings:

so how do we get to see this tutorial on the computer.
I cannot see any obvious ;ink.

Thaks
jmpdd

nana b
01-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Johannes, I have joined and I'm in CST and it shows the meeting is in progress. I will try again.

nana b
01-29-2011, 03:24 PM
I tried again and it insisted that I join again and when I do it says I can't get in. I can't sit here all day so if I can't get in I wished someone would tell me and i can do other things. I wanted to attend this.:crying: :crying: :crying:

nana b
01-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Maybe I didn't register in the right place? The only place I could find was on the discussion forum and I think a lot of people thought that.

horsthh
01-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Should one modify a photo, with photoshop, with filters etc.

horsthh
01-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Should we modify the photo with photoshop filters?

charleyz
01-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Hi -- great tips so far -- thank you -- will look forward to future sessions!

wetbob
01-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Great class! Johannes. Thnx. I cant attent tomorrow, do i have to do something?

pjreads
01-29-2011, 04:13 PM
First webinar is wonderful!

Yabut
01-29-2011, 05:04 PM
I enjoyed that. Very glad I signed up.

jessiesfineart
01-29-2011, 05:05 PM
Here is a photo I would really like to paint from. I love the road, but it points the wrong way... Advice appreciated.

(Thank you so much for this class!!)

Blah
01-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Terrific! I enjoyed the class very much, and I am looking forward to tomorrow's session.

wetbob
01-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Here is a photo I would really like to paint from. I love the road, but it points the wrong way... Advice appreciated.

You cant uploud the first time/post:thumbsup:

sherrysherman
01-29-2011, 05:11 PM
For those who thought that by coming to this WetCanvas thread they were automatically registered in the classes....

[To register and attend the classes, they are NOT here on WC. They are on GoToMeeting. You must click this link to register:

Enter your name and email. GoToMeeting will send you a confirmation and a reminder.

vapsman88
01-29-2011, 05:11 PM
Amazing class! I have learned more here than many art classes combined. Composition was mystifying to me, the fog is lifting. Look forward to tomorrow.

~John

mij
01-29-2011, 05:12 PM
We had a power cut for 30+minutes in the middle of that, that decided me to take a break (and light up the candles) but was able to see the end.
Many thanks Johannes for this valuable info and to F+W for the sponsoring online.
cheers
jimW

sailmary
Very good. Thanks Johannes and North Light.

middo
I have a friend who rather than paints plein air he walks the area for a few hours and than he goes home and paints what he feels and sees of the area do you think that this is another of painting landscape?

Edmontonartist
01-29-2011, 05:13 PM
great class go erick

Judibelle
01-29-2011, 05:14 PM
the class was great! I certainly got a lot out of it. But I have a question about the use of triangles....is it because of the straight lines involved? If there were melodic lines would it make a difference? I seem to be drawn to photos that incolve triangles....but I see where the straight lines dont quite work...
Thanks for the classes...and for your response...

buddingnewartist
Thank you so much, I really enjoyed todays webinar and looking forward to the others :)

mudfish
I have a pic I've painted five times & it just doesn't work.....can I post the photo for ideas?

Flo5548
01-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Very excellent session today. Thanks so much Johannes. Can't wait for tomorrow.

firesignart
01-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the interesting tips, good to be learning. I will be back tomorrow!

Sunny7
01-29-2011, 05:16 PM
So thankful for the oportunity to learn, thank-you!

hayday77
01-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Thanks so much. Really timely and looking forward to tomorrow

SplatteredMan
Thanks again. This is a great teaching and refreshing class. It helps to know or relearn some of these concepts from my art training.

Not been painting for a while, need to get back.

Danny

Spudisle2
Thank you so much _ I learned so much already

rkderieg
01-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Great class! I am looking forward to finding solutions to all the problem areas I now see in my paintings. Rena

jtburton
01-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Good information, I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next class.

Srishti
What a perfect class! This is exactly what I needed...

learningeveryday
I will actually miss most of the Sunday classes....will I be able (with the handouts) to make sense of things? I didn't realize it was two different classes each weekend...I thought Sunday was a repeat of Saturday.

H2Opaint
01-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Thank You - learning more and more! Now I just need to put it to practice. I sent some photos but don't know if they got to the correct place.
Until to morrow! :clap:

Scotkatidid
01-29-2011, 05:24 PM
Joe I am really impressed and excited = looking forward to tomorrow!

Colorix
01-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Loved the 'before-after' pics, of photo became this in painting!

pastel lover
01-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Fantastic session! I really enjoyed it. Thank you to you & all who made this possible.

Tanja

junemoon
01-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Wonderful informative session . Thank you, I was surprised to learn that these will be 2-day sessions. Tomorrow will still be on Lesson 1 or do you
intend to move to lesson 2?

patsbeads
01-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Great webinar. I learned a lot. I agree with Charlie that the before and after pics were very helpful.
Pat

LSACARMENCITA
01-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Where can I find the handout to download? Thanks.

LAyers
01-29-2011, 05:30 PM
Johanne said we could upload a photo of our own - can someone tell me where to do this?

And thank you to Johanne and Wet Canvas for doing this. This is really really great.

robertsloan2
01-29-2011, 05:35 PM
Johannes, thank you for a wonderful class! I loved it. Thank you so much for that great handout PDF in post #553 (or #578) too! That was fantastic. I felt much less pressure to take down everything because you created that handout. I also skipped some important points I saw in it because they were already available. I save everything from class!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2011/70184-Class-1-Page-1-Jan-29-2011.jpg
Sorry about the blurry bit at the bottom right. I think my knee sweated a little while I was holding the sketchbook on my lap.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2011/70184-Class-1-Page-2-Jan-29-2011.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2011/70184-Class-1-Page-3-Jan-29-2011.jpg
You can't see the lines, but this sketchbook has a ruled left column and blank right column for drawing. That encourages me to give my sketch illustrations more space.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2011/70184-Class-1-Page-4-Jan-29-2011.jpg

Johannes, thank you again. Your handout is great. I was saving screen shots with pages of it as well, but the handout contains them so I guess I've just got extra copies.

lonelm
01-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Awesome notes once again Robert. Always so great and a perfect companion to the presentation. Johannes is the King of teaching and you are the King of notes.

Johannes Instructor
01-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Maybe I didn't register in the right place? The only place I could find was on the discussion forum and I think a lot of people thought that.

Click on this link. Just register again if you need to:
Register now! It is free! Just click on the link below. All you need to provide is your name and email address.
https://www1.gotowebinar.com/register/589190704 (https://www1.gotowebinar.com/register/589190704)

MKH
01-29-2011, 05:49 PM
LSACRARM...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2011/17160-Post__610.jpg

If you look at your post (insert above) it says #610 now go back a few pages until you find #553 hope it helps. (Page # 37)

donnagail
01-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Very helpful seminar! Appreciate the notes from Johannes & Robert. I have hung about the fringes of this site for a while now, maybe I will jump in and do some painting with these new tools. Thank you!

MKH
01-29-2011, 05:51 PM
Robert,

Thanks a lot for the wonderful notes!!

Johannes Instructor
01-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Wonderful informative session . Thank you, I was surprised to learn that these will be 2-day sessions. Tomorrow will still be on Lesson 1 or do you

Tomorrow we will learn about cropping, lead in and criteria for choosing photos.

Grainne
01-29-2011, 05:53 PM
An outstanding session, even for those of us who had attended all the December classes and all the painting demos! :thumbsup: :heart:
Still were new things to learn or to be reinforced.

I agree that the "before and after" photos were very helpful!

Robert, awesome notes as usual. Thank you! :)

"Kaye"

Grainne

Kumquat
01-29-2011, 05:54 PM
Robert, once again, how can we all thank you enough for these wonderful notes? They are incredible! What's especially amazing is that you can make them look so good and read so well on the first time through, without recopying them. Thanks so much!

jmpdd
01-29-2011, 05:55 PM
We attended the first webinar,(very good) but we cannot find the location to download the files.
Our screen differs in the toolbar area from the one used by Johannes. We have a Mac and possibly the lesson is being given on a IE browser.
Perhaps if we were given the url for each step, we might be able to get the data.
JMPDD

fresh pastels
01-29-2011, 05:58 PM
Re Signing up for next session: Noticed that the old link for signing up now takes you to a page that says the webinar is over, with nothing about another session. Will that change before tomorrow's session so that new people can sign up?

Kumquat
01-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Johannes, your presentation was so well organized that it made it easy to follow. I really appreciated the way you "stuck with the program" to prevent confusion--a very clean, informative, professional class. Can't wait for tomorrow! Thank you for all you do to further other people's success!

DGrau
01-29-2011, 06:04 PM
To find this thread, and all of the threads pertaining to Johannes, you can do so by clicking. This way you do not have to remember what to type or any spelling.

1) sign into wet canvas, and scroll down just a bit so you can find landscapes in the forum list on the left side and click on LANDSCAPES.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2011/34090-IMG_2611.jpg

2) scroll down a bit and click on BROWSE THIS FORUM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2011/34090-IMG_2612.jpg

3) then click on PARTNER: WET CANVAS LIVE
Please note to the far right of that you will also see the most current post in a reddish color also, that may be the correct one your looking for and you can just click that instead.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2011/34090-IMG_2613.jpg

4) now you can see every thread pertaining to Johannes and can click on any of them
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2011/34090-IMG_2614.jpg

MKH
01-29-2011, 06:05 PM
We attended the first webinar,(very good) but we cannot find the location to download the files.
Our screen differs in the toolbar area from the one used by Johannes. We have a Mac and possibly the lesson is being given on a IE browser.
Perhaps if we were given the url for each step, we might be able to get the data.
JMPDD

look for post #553 eg. below

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2011/17160-Post__610.jpg

Artbynan
01-29-2011, 06:07 PM
Hi,
I am thrilled to be taking this class!!!
I have learned so much already, I'm really looking forward to the rest!!
Thanks Johannes and Wet Canvas!!!
Nancy

Cherrie
01-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Hello!
Just wanted to say thank you, the webinar was great. I've lurked here for quite sometime but have been a bit shy to post. I am a beginner watercolorist (March 2010). I am looking forward to all the classes. Thanks again from Virginia Beach!

gwatford
01-29-2011, 06:31 PM
I signed up for today's webinar but didn't know if we will receive a link in an email for the webinar tomarrow? If there is no email link can I link in on Wet Canvas and where would the link be? Thanks so much for a great first class and am looking forward to more!

susanc
01-29-2011, 06:58 PM
I signed up for today's webinar but didn't know if we will receive a link in an email for the webinar tomarrow? If there is no email link can I link in on Wet Canvas and where would the link be? Thanks so much for a great first class and am looking forward to more!
Hi gwatford, welcome! Johannes gave the following link to someone who had registered, but they couldn't get in today.

My understanding is that the link you received in your email registration confirmation will get you in for the rest of the classes. If you lose that link, the above link should also work for the remainder of the classes, but you'll have to sign up again with name and email address to get in with this link.

Someone asked that same question after he stopped the class, and that's the answer as I understood it!

oils4me
01-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Thank you Johannes..so very generous of you to share what has taken you years to learn. I have been reading about art for years and can honestly say that I've learned more from you in a week than all of those books put together...seriously!! I am seeing things so much better already...amazing, where have these secrets been...so grateful, thank you! :)

Robert your notes are excellent. I took notes too but no point in sharing them here because yours are more complete...how do you do it...the pictures are priceless, thank you for your generosity! Oh and I didn't even think of taking screen shots, great idea thanks..:)

H2Opaint
01-29-2011, 07:02 PM
Thanks so much Robert! Perfect companoin to Johannes presentation. I feel we are so blessed!

a tak-et venture
01-29-2011, 07:14 PM
This is the forum. From here I will be in touch with you all. In a few days the webinar registration code will be posted so keep coming back to check and while you are at it, type a few things. We want to know more about you.
I am wanting to register for your webinars, so how can I get a registration code?

hayday77
01-29-2011, 07:15 PM
I am thrilled to take part in this webinar. I am so guilty of "photitus" Looking at a photo with magnifying glasses trying to create an exact replication. And the value scale??? I consistantly made the same mistake of painting values 8, 9 , 10 as part of the composition. (see the painting for an example of a no no) So I am really looking forward to the lessons.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2011/136427-Fuller_Falls_22jAN11.jpg

purpleheather
01-29-2011, 07:27 PM
thank you, thank you, thank you for your generosity in sharing this amazing fount of knowledge in such an honest, humble way.
Blessings to you.
anne

Greatblu
01-29-2011, 07:28 PM
I really enjoyed the session. It went along with a painting I've been working on and I already looked for and found some 'traps'. I hope to be able to watch tomorrow. Thanks.

susanc
01-29-2011, 07:30 PM
I am wanting to register for your webinars, so how can I get a registration code?

Below is the registration link I used to sign up. They sent me a confirmation email with my very own personal webinar link, and that same personal link was also included on the reminder emails I received.

Originally Posted by Johannes Instructor
"We have the Web class code now. If you want to register for the free art classes. Click on this link and sign up. All you need is your full name and your email address. Do it now!"

susanc
01-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Wait! I thought of one more good link--too late to add it to the others in an earlier post.

Class syllabus link (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12550332&postcount=2)

nana b
01-29-2011, 07:57 PM

Johannes, I went to that link and signed in and it accepted the information but it wouldn't let me in to the meeting. It said "Meeting in Progress". If fact I did it 12 0r 13 times..maybe more. I would get the confirmation by e-mail everytime. I never got to see any of it.
Is it possible it was already full up. I started in at 1:45PM CST and tried for an hour and a half.
I want to get in tomorrows too and now afraid I won't be able too.
I love you teaching and don't want to miss it.
Any ideas?

Phyllis

the drover's dog
01-29-2011, 08:25 PM
To our newbies::wave:

For those of you looking for Robert's excellent notes that are buried in this very long thread, (thanks Robert), you can find them here:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12800772#p12800772

Don't forget that you can add a thread to your favorites list by clicking on the "Thread Tool" label on the horizontal blue bar just above a thread page that you want to find easily again, and choosing "Add to Favorites" from the dropdown list. To access your Favorite thread later, you do so by using the "Favorites" button further up on another horizontal blue bar, towards the centre left on any Wet Canvas page. The dropdown list will give you a direct link to anywhere you have bookmarked so that you can go straight to that thread.

Any confusion, just ask. Everyone here remembers how difficult it all is when you don't know your way around. It is a huge site. All happy to help. Great bunch of people hang out at WC.:grouphug:

Cheers,

Dale

Johannes Instructor
01-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Re Signing up for next session: Noticed that the old link for signing up now takes you to a page that says the webinar is over, with nothing about another session. Will that change before tomorrow's session so that new people can sign up?
The webinar is over is only a message when the webinar is not running on my end. Tomorrow when I open it 1 hour early you won't get that message.

Johannes Instructor
01-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Johannes, I went to that link and signed in and it accepted the information but it wouldn't let me in to the meeting. It said "Meeting in Progress". If fact I did it 12 0r 13 times..maybe more. I would get the confirmation by e-mail everytime. I never got to see any of it.
Is it possible it was already full up. I started in at 1:45PM CST and tried for an hour and a half.
I want to get in tomorrows too and now afraid I won't be able too.
I love you teaching and don't want to miss it.
Any ideas?

Phyllis
The room will be open 1 hours early tomorrow. Try it then. Reboot your computer right before you attempt to go in.

Johannes Instructor
01-29-2011, 08:29 PM
I am thrilled to take part in this webinar. I am so guilty of "photitus" Looking at a photo with magnifying glasses trying to create an exact replication. And the value scale??? I consistantly made the same mistake of painting values 8, 9 , 10 as part of the composition. (see the painting for an example of a no no) So I am really looking forward to the lessons.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2011/136427-Fuller_Falls_22jAN11.jpg

Yes, even though your painting is still good, the idea is to make it more beautiful all the time. A higher key would make it look more cheerful and the colors will show better.

nana b
01-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks Johannes..I will re-boot and try that.

Johannes Instructor
01-29-2011, 08:31 PM

Here it is
https://www1.gotowebinar.com/register/589190704 (https://www1.gotowebinar.com/register/589190704)

Johannes Instructor
01-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Thank you Johannes..so very generous of you to share what has taken you years to learn. I have been reading about art for years and can honestly say that I've learned more from you in a week than all of those books put together...seriously!! I am seeing things so much better already...amazing, where have these secrets been...so grateful, thank you! :)

Robert your notes are excellent. I took notes too but no point in sharing them here because yours are more complete...how do you do it...the pictures are priceless, thank you for your generosity! Oh and I didn't even think of taking screen shots, great idea thanks..:)

There are many good books out there and will mention things I have said. The specific examples and emphasis I am making helps hit it on the nail. We must also thank F&W Media for sponsoring these classes and making it possible.

the drover's dog
01-29-2011, 08:34 PM
To the Mods:

This thread is now too big and unwieldy. It's a nightmare for a seasoned Wet Canvas member to find their way through, let alone new members lured here for the classes. Can we have a thread with a different heading please? Perhaps a thread for each week of this series of classes?

Cheers,

Dale

LAyers
01-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Johannes' "Partner: Wetcanvas Live!" link (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522). (Please bookmark it to find it easily!) The list of all Johannes threads, including those shown below.
Class exercises (photo uploads) thread link (http://link)
Handouts thread link (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872822)
Until it will let Johannes upload it there, the first handout is at this link. (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12791082&postcount=553)
Johannes' Student Critique Thread link (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864472).

I tried the link to the photo uploads above and it didn't work ...

Davkin
01-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Lynn,

I saw your painting in the critique thread and have a suggestion but didn't post it there since that thread is for Johannes critiques only.

Scumble some lightbluish or grayish white along the horizon line so is appears to fade out in the distance and merge with the sky, I think that would help tons.

David

Davkin
01-29-2011, 08:54 PM
To the Mods:

This thread is now too big and unwieldy. It's a nightmare for a seasoned Wet Canvas member to find their way through, let alone new members lured here for the classes. Can we have a thread with a different heading please? Perhaps a thread for each week of this series of classes?

Cheers,

Dale

I think there is a plan to have a new thread every week. I think a FAQ thread would be helpful as well, just posts from Johannes and moderators with critical links and such only.

David

B4painter
01-29-2011, 09:34 PM
My husband has said my paintings are to dark for a long time now! I am happy to tell you that just by following that one tip on values, I know my paintings have improved greatly...more to come.
Thanks to F&W Media and Johannes for giving us this wonderful gift of knowledge.
Thanks to Robert for always being there for us too! You're a Gem!

B4painter
01-29-2011, 09:47 PM

I see no one has let you know that there is no photo attatched here, please see my last message for help. B4painter aka Barb S

B4painter
01-29-2011, 09:50 PM
the class was great! I certainly got a lot out of it. But I have a question about the use of triangles....is it because of the straight lines involved? If there were melodic lines would it make a difference? I seem to be drawn to photos that incolve triangles....but I see where the straight lines dont quite work...
Thanks for the classes...and for your response...

I have some free time tonight, so i thought I'd help out, you answered your on question, (as Johannes would say) yes, melodic lines make all the difference!

B4painter
01-29-2011, 10:03 PM

Thaks
jmpdd

You'll need to sign up for a membership at www.wetcanvas.com wait for a reply in your email, then go to this link below to sign up

Here is the webinar code: If you want to register for the free art classes, click on this link and sign up. All you need is your full name and your email address. Do it now! The classes are free.
Hope this helps!

B4painter
01-29-2011, 10:08 PM

Hi there, Please see the last entry I made tonight, were I explained this for you.

Johannes hope I answered correctly for this question. Barb S.

B4painter
01-29-2011, 10:10 PM

Thaks
jmpdd

Hi, check my previous posting for more information. Sign up and you'll get an email with the link. Hope this helps, Barb S aka B4painter

B4painter
01-29-2011, 10:17 PM
I will actually miss most of the Sunday classes....will I be able (with the handouts) to make sense of things? I didn't realize it was two different classes each weekend...I thought Sunday was a repeat of Saturday.

Hi Rita, each weekend will be different material on Saturday and different material on Sunday, so we need to attend everyday. Alternatively you can try to work from the handouts, but you will miss things. The artist magazine will receive Johannes' video once he edits it, and then it will be available for download at $9.99 for the entire two day session - or 4 hours of materials - then you can be assured you don't miss anything important. Johannes will give us the link here when he receives it from the F&W Media people. So you'll need to keep your eye on the postings here for it. Hope this helps, Barb S aka B4painter

alimari33
01-29-2011, 10:19 PM
Hi everyone! i participated today but how do i get to the webinar tomorrow? does any one know? thank you

B4painter
01-29-2011, 10:21 PM

Hello Junemoon, Tomorrows webinar will be a continuation of todays, he still has more points to cover.

B4painter
01-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Where can I find the handout to download? Thanks.

I believe this has already been covered tonight,check posting number 553

B4painter
01-29-2011, 10:25 PM

Hello, I have already answered this tonight, please check previous postings. Hugs, Barb S aka B4painter

B4painter
01-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Johannes, I checked all the previous postings for questions, and answered them for you as you requested someone to do this afternoon to help you out. I've answered to the best of my ability, correct me if I'm wrong on anything. Hugs, Barb S aka B4painter

Johannes Instructor
01-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Johannes, I checked all the previous postings for questions, and answered them for you as you requested someone to do this afternoon to help you out. I've answered to the best of my ability, correct me if I'm wrong on anything. Hugs, Barb S aka B4painter

Oh thank you so much. You are an angel. It is not nice to get your help.

Johannes Instructor
01-29-2011, 10:59 PM
Hi everyone! i participated today but how do i get to the webinar tomorrow? does any one know? thank you

Same link as today's.

susanc
01-29-2011, 11:03 PM
I tried the link to the photo uploads above and it didn't work ...
Yes, you are absolutely right. I wish I could fix it, but it's now beyond the hour time limit for editing a post. Sorry! It's at:
I hope the uploader works for you. It wouldn't work for me!

In any case, please remember you can use the first link I listed for Johannes' "Partner: Wetcanvas Live!" at
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522.

From Johannes' "Partner: Wetcanvas Live!", you can access all the class links yourself. It's the easiest--and most reliable--way to find all Johannes' class threads!

susanc
01-29-2011, 11:27 PM
Sorry everyone! I messed up on a link, so I will try to get the right ones down this time around. Thanks for letting me know. (I tested them. These links all work. :thumbsup: )

Remember, you can access all of Johannes' class threads in "Partner: Wetcanvas Live!" at
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522.

The following links are some of the threads that are listed at "Partner: Wetcanvas Live!"
Class exercises (photo uploads) link at
Class handouts link at
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872822
The first handout is currently at the following link since the uploader wasn't working: http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12791082&postcount=553
Johannes' Student Critique link is at
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864472

The following links are not posted at Partner: Wet Canvas Live!
Class Syllabus at http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12550332&postcount=2
Class registration link at https://www1.gotowebinar.com/register/589190704

winecountry
01-30-2011, 12:23 AM
Johannes is showing and teaching us what used to be part of any good landscape painters knowlege, at the turn of the last century, including painting how the eye sees, all that was thrown out baby and bathwater as "modern" art took over. His gift to us besides the knowledge, is putting it in such condensed and memorable phrases that make it so easy to understand and use. So thank you Johannes, and Robert and F and W for making this little island of sanity happen and help so many sincere people improve their art.

H2Opaint
01-30-2011, 02:07 AM
ops

Ruthie57
01-30-2011, 04:51 AM
Last night's class was great! really structured and focused. I attended quite a few of december's webinars but these classes are really going to help it all sink in. I must also keep putting these theories into practice!
Thanks Johannes, F&W Media and Robert for the brilliant notes!

paskavau
01-30-2011, 07:40 AM
It was a very informative class for me tonight. Thanks Johannes!

Klaus

susanc
01-30-2011, 08:27 AM
Johannes, well done! I can't wait for the rest of the classes. Thank you!

Just a couple thoughts--since you have over a thousand students now, I was wondering if it's possible to streamline this thread a bit to make things easier? Maybe a moderator could insert a handy dandy FAQS post on the first page of this thread after your first two posts. Then, if a question is asked that is covered by the FAQs post, most people can give the easy answer, "check the FAQs post on page one". Maybe the FAQS post can be repeated at the beginning of every weekly class thread, if that's how you've decided to organize your threads.

Maybe something like this?

FAQS POST

"Partner: Wetcanvas Live!" is your jumping off point for all class-related threads: handouts, uploading class exercises, etc. It is located at
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522 ".

Links not found at Partner: WetCanvas Live!:

Class registration link.
The personal link you receive in your confirmation email is good for all 24 classes.

The first handout is currently available at
http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=553
It will be included in the handouts thread listed at Partner: WetCanvas Live! (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522) once the uploader works.

World Time Zone Converter
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Justin TV Demo Link

Class video purchase link to be added when made available.

Of course, inserting a FAQs post might mess up the numbering of all the subsequent posts. Can it be an unnumbered "sticky"? If not, it's hopefully easy to change the link for the first handout to 554, or whatever number it happens to become. Maybe there's a different time zone converter you'd rather suggest, but that is the general idea. I don't know if it's do-able, but it might help you out a bit if it is.

Thanks again!
Oh, and can the mod can remove some of the random posts that don't belong in the new threads so they don't set a precedent and cause others to follow suit? (Sorry Wendy!) Like posts without a photo in the class exercises thread? It's a self-serving suggestion...I'd like to get rid of my own posts there, at least! :D (Yes, I do have a big nose! Sorry if it's annoying.)

Johannes Instructor
01-30-2011, 08:35 AM
Johannes, well done! I can't wait for the rest of the classes. Thank you!

Since you have over a thousand students now, I was wondering if it's possible to streamline this thread a bit? Maybe a moderator could insert a handy dandy FAQS post on the first page of this thread after your first two posts. Then, if a question is asked that is covered by the FAQs post, most people can give the easy answer, "check the FAQs post on page one". Maybe the FAQS post can be repeated at the beginning of every weekly class thread, if that's how you've decided to organize your threads.

Maybe something like this?

FAQS POST

"Partner: Wetcanvas Live!" is your jumping off point for all class-related threads: handouts, uploading class exercises, etc. It is located at
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522)".

Links not found at Partner: Wetcanvas Live!:
Class registration link.
The personal link you receive in your confirmation email is good for all 24 classes.
Due to technical difficulties, the first handout is currently available at
http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=553
It will be included in the handouts thread listed at Partner:WetCanvas Live! once the uploader works.
World Time Zone Converter
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html
Justin TV Demo Link

Class video purchase link to be added when available.

Of course, inserting a FAQs post might mess up the numbering of all the subsequent posts. Can it be an unnumbered "sticky"? If not, it's hopefully easy to change the link for the first handout to 554, or whatever number it happens to become. Maybe there's a different time zone converter you'd rather suggest, but that is the general idea. I don't know if it's do-able, but it might help some if it is.

Thanks again!
Oh, and maybe the mod can remove some of the random posts that don't belong in the new threads so they don't set a precedent and cause others to follow suit? (Sorry Wendy!) Like posts without a photo in the class exercises thread? It's kind of self-serving...I'd like to get rid of my posts there, at least! :D
Well you have all down complete. Thanks! It is nice to have volunteers to help run these threads. How about it?

elisamaria
01-30-2011, 09:38 AM
The class was great again, so instructive with good material which we with our own eyes and ears could experience. With so many students I felt privileged though. The teacher had contact with me, so far away but so close in the classroom. F&W together with Johannes is a hit. Thank you so much for giving this opportunity!
Elisabeth

Johannes Instructor
01-30-2011, 09:51 AM
General questions that came up in the web class that I did not answer orally:
Q: Is there ever an appropriate time to use "cloning" or repetition in a painting?
Repetition creates rhythm which is good but there should be variances in these repetitions not cloned repetitions. Example if we have a deep forest scene and we see several long vertical tree trunks. These should be done where we vary their diameters, colors, and angle of leaning, the distances between them, etc. However the rhythm is established by the repetitions of these vertical movements as long as no tree trunk runs parallel to another.
Q: Should we modify the photo with photoshop filters?
We should use as many tools as possible to end up with the best end result. What counts is the final art work not how you got there. No such thing as cheating in this.
Q: are you suggesting to push colors to make it more interesting?
If we listen to nature and its sounds such as a crashing wave, the roar of wind, the birds singing, etc. All this is beautiful. However we humans want more and we want to express and communicate with each other. We create songs that are more beautiful than nature don't we? Think of your painting like that. It is a personal poetical message. Color just like musical instruments are our tools to convey this wonderful message. Nature produces many dull monochromatic colors. If we add more flavor to this it will be like hearing a crashing wave in the background while listening to instrumental music.
Q: Is it normal to not be activated by mods at wetcanvas after 2 days still? I'm logged in but can't post or anything, sadly
Sorry this is out of my hands.
Q: so would you be better off never to do this photo ?
The answer to this should come as a result of this course. It would be interesting if in 12 weeks you asked that question again. I bet you won't ask it again because you will know the answer.
Q: Do these properties apply to pictures taking indoors as well as outdoors? Like animals and stuff taken inside vs outside. As far as color/value issues.
Animals are usually depicted in realism so the values and form should be identical to real life. It is what surrounds them where we play with the shapes, form and values.
Q: Does a good painting look better when you stand back from it than right under your nose?
Paintings should be done with the best look as they would appear from normal viewpoint the viewer is normally positioned in, such as his living room couch. Probably 5 to10 feet away. Some artists joke that they wish they could attach their brush to a broom stick to get the right view. Some instructors place a chair between their students and their easel. I have seen Jim Wilcox paint quite a few times and he will step back as often as every minute or so. Just a few strokes and then he steps back 2 or three steps. Hey! Now I know why he eats so much chocolate! That's because he is burning he calories with the workout.
Q: should we be looking for an overall shape to the entire painting or a series of shapes and how do we put them together?
This will be answered when we get to the mass planning and shape lesson.
Q: Do you need to show the lights and darks in landscape including the trees?
Many top artists are leaning more towards and overall mid value. I am following this as well and I feel my paintings have improve dramatically when this was revealed to me.
Q: Any chance you will discuss the Munsell color system., or could we discuss it later?
Hopefully we can dedicate a day to answering nuts and bolts once I get the majority of the info out on this specific course. I will keep this question in mind.
Q: how do we measure landscapes to get right perspective?
Linear perspective is not a concern in wild landscape painting. As long as the end of a lake or ocean horizon line agrees with the viewers' horizontal line we are ok.
Q: can i know what medium r u going to demo ,maybe i can go with you painting
I will try to do some paint-a-long's in the future if F&W will have me.
Q: You talk about cloning yet painting a vineyard certainly has its parallel shapes to make sure it IS a vineyard - same in an orchard.
We do what we can to offset boring repetitions. There are ways such as casting shadows over areas of a vineyard etc to change the look.
Q: So far Johannes' comments work where the background has v ariation. Out here on the prairies we are flat = flat m, flat for 360degrees. How do you avoid the flatness and is it proper to do so?
Check out some of Clyde Aspevig's work. He likes to paint flat prairies.

oils4me
01-30-2011, 10:05 AM
There are many good books out there and will mention things I have said. The specific examples and emphasis I am making helps hit it on the nail. We must also thank F&W Media for sponsoring these classes and making it possible.

Yes I agree and I love my books...in fact, I just found Carl Purcell's, Paint From Your Artists Brain and ordered it...I also order his Landscape book...Margaret Kessler's landscape book is very good too...:)

Johannes I have a question...do these rules apply to all genre's? Still Life's , abstracts etc.

And yes a BIG THANKS to F&W Media, where do we go to say thank you!! I definitely want to support this effort on their part as well...:)

oils4me
01-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Ok so I just became a paying member of WC as my way of saying thank you for Johannes's excellent training and also the community is incredible. I've learned so much and I feel like I must give something back...thanks WC for such a wonderful community to learn and grow as an artist....although it's not showing up yet, it probably takes some time to show up....thanks!!! :)

Johannes Instructor
01-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Yes I agree and I love my books...in fact, I just found Carl Purcell's, Paint From Your Artists Brain and ordered it...I also order his Landscape book...Margaret Kessler's landscape book is very good too...:)

Johannes I have a question...do these rules apply to all genre's? Still Life's , abstracts etc.

And yes a BIG THANKS to F&W Media, where do we go to say thank you!! I definitely want to support this effort on their part as well...:)

yes, of course still lifes, human figures, abstracts don't have as many principles compared to landscapes but yes figures and objects in still lifes are to be placed strategically to lead the eye and allow for eye flow. An example of this is when a still life artist places a tablecloth and then folds it in such a way to create a lead in to the main area. Look at Pino's female figures, how the contours on these figures are position in a specific way to create a graceful eye movement while the viewer reads his paintings.

Johannes Instructor
01-30-2011, 10:52 AM
My wife keeps insisting I post this painting I did when I lived in Mexico.

oils4me
01-30-2011, 10:57 AM
My wife keeps insisting I post this painting I did when I lived in Mexico.

It's wonderful! The light is beautiful, very nice 3D look. And you should always listen to your wife!!! :wink2:

SalzburgBJ
01-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Thank you Robert! I was taking notes too, but yours are definitely neater.

One thing I took down which you didn't was: "You're painting Poetry, not a Police Report!" (Must have been my strong personal identification with the concept that made it ring so loudly for me!)

Congratulations too on your website -- I've been looking for a place to learn more about oil pastels. Thanks for that too!

ladyB
01-30-2011, 11:10 AM
I loved, loved, loved, yesterday's webinar class. However, I had to re-download gotomeeting software to get in and then was told I could only
watch not respond to anything. What do I have to do to be able to ask
questions?
Thank you,
LadyB

Lisa Fiore
01-30-2011, 11:26 AM
LadyB, you are "muted" but you should be able to type in questions. (Click on arrow at top right corner of your computer screen to open the box) That is how is was for me, anyway. Hope this helps!

DonaldRae
01-30-2011, 11:31 AM
my niehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2011/162023-santorini.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)ce want this scene painted for her wedding present?

sundiver
01-30-2011, 11:34 AM
To the Mods:

Cheers,

Dale

It does not require a moderator to start a new thread, including one with links.
If a thread needs sticking, Johannes can request it and a mod can stick it.

Johannes and the F&W people are the best ones to do a FAQ thread, since the volunteer mods don't necessarily know the answers either; the Webinar forum is completely different to the regular forums .

The moderator for the Webinars Forum is sallspaw. The forum was placed in Landscapes for the time being, but since it won't always be about landscapes it will eventually get its own home.

ladyB
01-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Thank you Lisa I will try that today. I was really confused yesterday as to
why I even had to download the gotomeeting software again, as I had
done that previously.

Thank you again for your answer,
LadyB

PETE K
01-30-2011, 11:36 AM
LadyB, I had the same thing happen to me. But as Lisa had said works It was Red. the box opened and there was a place in there where you could type your questions.

robertsloan2
01-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Johannes, thank your wife for me. I love this Mexican painting with the distant volcano. The longer I study with you, the more I can understand why it works so well.

No matter where I look, I see something done elegantly. It's poetry.

I think that one of the most valuable things you said in class yesterday. Painting is like poetry. It's concise. Every word in a poem has to carry a weight of meaning including mood and feeling as well as literal meaning and metaphor. Every stroke in this painting, every inch of it does that too.

Thank you for showing me the limits of photo references. I run into that taking photos of my paintings too - especially with skies, it's hard to show the colors in a hue gradation across the sky. The pinks tend to turn white or gray in the photo when they're clear and vivid in person. I'll have to keep working on it to get my photos of my paintings to turn out well enough.

caemin
01-30-2011, 11:56 AM
This thread (and the others pertaining to the webinar) is so huge that it's extremely difficult to wade through all the posts. I've just spent 45 minutes wading through all the thank yous and repeated questions about where things are and how to get on the webinar just to find Robert's (excellent:thumbsup:) notes. Isn't there a way to post the class materials, notes and answers to questions from the webinar in one place where people aren't allowed to comment? I second the motion for an FAQ! I'm sure it would make everyone's experience so much better and much less frustrating to have that all available in one uncluttered place!

Johannes Instructor
01-30-2011, 11:57 AM
I loved, loved, loved, yesterday's webinar class. However, I had to re-download gotomeeting software to get in and then was told I could only
watch not respond to anything. What do I have to do to be able to ask
questions?
Thank you,
LadyB
On your gotomeeting panel there is a tab says "questions". There is a little arrow on the left side. Click on that and that should open the questions window.

ladyB
01-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Johannes, and Pete K, thank you for your answer. I hope it all works for
me today.

Thank you again,
LadyB

winecountry
01-30-2011, 12:23 PM
Since this thread is a month long....would it make sense to have a
Weekly
Discussion ( all post)
Class exercise ( only Johannes comments)
(note this is already 4 pages long on the first week if it stays ongoing by the end it will be as cumbersome as this one is)

Ongoing
Critique on paintings other than exercise ( only Johannes comments and ongoing so all his comments are in one place with examples)

Critiques by us would mean reposting the painting in the discussion thread, which is not a problem but when I tried this not a single person commented, I think one reason was the thread was moving so fast it just dropped off. or maybe it was a boring painting:lol:

What that would set up tho is a need for moderators to tell the newbies what is what and remove comments that are not appropriate for the thread, or move them...( no I'm not volunteering:lol: )

The problem is a) new people don't know the rules and b) not everyone follows rules...

I think right now is not typical, where so many are coming in at once so we could just leave it be for a few weeks with weekly threads to see how it goes

It would be nice to post a thread for discussion of the Week One class, lets see what happens, so maybe Robert or Johannes or one of you will take this on. You just start a new thread in the main forum titled Week One Class discussion

Try to only put class comments there and Robert's notes could be reposted over on that thread too.

This is not my job or place just trying to get something going to see if if works, so change it or add whatever makes sense to you..

I like the reflected light in the shadows on that last Mexican painting Johannes:thumbsup:

elisamaria
01-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Johannes, your painting is so much poetry. I feel the warmth and serenity in this little village. Even when its poor one finds so much of happiness. Before the sun sets everything has to be in safe place. Thanks of showing it. Appreciate very much.

Elisabeth

Johannes Instructor
01-30-2011, 12:39 PM
To make it easier to follow these threads, we will start a new thread every week to be seried into 12 distinct threads.

thepetlady
01-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Please find my photo that I have selected.

This is a photo that I took at Port Dover, Ontario, Canada

Brenda

Ruthie57
01-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Johannes, I do love your "Mexico" painting. It has lovely colours, atmosphere and mood.
Is this a "before the revelations" painting? I feel there is something too prominent in the left vertical no fly zone.............

Johannes Instructor
01-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Johannes, I do love your "Mexico" painting. It has lovely colours, atmosphere and mood.
Is this a "before the revelations" painting? I feel there is something too prominent in the left vertical no fly zone.............

Very perceptive Ruthie. Yes, this was before I got the top secrets. That cactus plant is in the no fly zone but I decided not to edit it.

sherrysherman
01-30-2011, 02:31 PM
For some reason the webinar is not taking the code you got. Please keep checking here if I need to post a new one. I am on the phone with them now.

EVERYONE WHO CAN'T MAKE THE LINK WORK -

Johannes knows it doesn't work. He is trying to find a solution.

KEEP CHECKING HERE FOR THE SOLUTION.

BUT STOP POSTING THAT IT DOESN'T WORK. That will just add 67 more pages and the answer will get buried.

I know I'm shouting and I apologize. Just trying to get your attention. :)

dbwindle
01-30-2011, 02:58 PM
how can I get a new person set up to join the sessions?

JTMB
01-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Forward the link above to your friend - they click on the link, and input their name and e-mail. That's all there is to it.

Colorix
01-30-2011, 03:02 PM
dbwindle, give them the code in post 725

TerryKrysak
01-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Mount Rundle
Banff, Alberta
December 2009
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2011/160371-Mount_Rundle_Winter.JPGYou are free to use this photo under the "Attribution Creative Commons License"
For the orignal photo that is not constrained to 800 x 800, visit my Flickr photostream at the link below.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4238944373/

ceedee08
01-30-2011, 03:07 PM
No class today (Sunday)? Also, I downloaded the hand out from yesterday and all I got was a series of big black boxes with your five small photos in the middle of them.

ceedee08 :confused:

DGrau
01-30-2011, 03:11 PM
today my link didn't work, however when i went into my email, three was a new one for today's(sunday) class

If anyone is having trouble check your email

Laurie W.
01-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Help - I attended the webinar Saturday and I can't get back in today. What do I need to do? Laurie W.

Ruthie57
01-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Laurie, check your e mail.

nana b
01-30-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm in to something but I think it's a recording of Sat class.
I checked my e-mail and I didn't get a new link.

horsthh
01-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Here is my photo

sue burke
01-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Do you ever use pure white in a painting?

horsthh
01-30-2011, 03:32 PM
and another one, which I am having a lot of trouble painting to make the water looking wet

lonelm
01-30-2011, 03:40 PM
Due to technical difficulties there is a new webinar link .. go here and sign in again. It will be fixed for next week

1. Please join my Webinar.
https://www1.gotowebinar.com/register/380142640

nana b
01-30-2011, 03:53 PM
It says UNABLE TO JOIN MEETING please make sure your computor is connected to the internet
I have done everything plus rebooted my computor..NO GO.
The same thing happened to me yesterday.

lonelm
01-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Problems with yesterdays link so Due to technical difficulties there is a new webinar link .. go here and sign in again. It will be fixed for next week

1. Please join my Webinar.
https://www1.gotowebinar.com/register/380142640

nana b
01-30-2011, 04:06 PM
it's not working. I tried the new code..nope

etdavis6
01-30-2011, 04:09 PM
I was able to log into the webinar on Saturday, Jan. 29th, but cannot access it today. Is it because I'm late logging on (4 p.m. EST) or for some other reason? Can anyone help me with this?

chewie
01-30-2011, 04:11 PM
Can i ask this?? when you have a tree on an edge of a scene, how can you handle it> when its cut in half with edge of picture ?

caemin
01-30-2011, 04:24 PM
This photo has been taken by me.I am granting Johannes Vloothuis the right to publicly display it for comment, editing,and recording. I waive the copyrights for that use.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2011/146891-bald_eagle_long_shot2.jpg

spirothet
01-30-2011, 04:29 PM
This is a photo I took. Your comments would be appreciated.

Can you also e-mail me notes from the first session. I wasn't able to attend. Today I had a hard time just maneuvering through the website.

Thanks, Cali

Dot Hoffman
01-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Phyllis, I had to sign in again, when I linked to the new code. Did you have to do that, too?

singsong
01-30-2011, 04:32 PM
Thank you so much for doing these classes, you're doing for the art student, what Clinton Anderson does for the equine students! Your directions and explanations are so helpful.

PETE K
01-30-2011, 04:59 PM
I spent around 3 hours trying to get in and i got nothing!!! except regitster and down load softwear and that was from Judys new link. and the last time i did it. it wouldn't even let me out of the program. it actualy tock over my computer. couldn't get out of no matter how hard i tried. I had to reboot reboot reboot and rebooth. and there it was down loading. I used the link in the e-mail it gave me when i signed up yesterday and it gave me nothing, I used the link from page 43. Joannes had there and it asked for my e-mail i put it in and and a new page came up to watch recording. couldn't even get that. it's 4:55 and jusy got my computer to start working again. what a waist of time today 3 hours. did't even get to see one second of it. It worked yesterday got to see the whole lesson but not today.

Jerry Bridgers
01-30-2011, 05:22 PM
I have always received your emails, including several emails for Saturday's. I did not get an email for Sunday's webinar.

[email protected]

DeboraM
01-30-2011, 05:24 PM
Gimp is very similar to Photoshop Elements and has a lot of features. I it is open source and free.

Bluemchen
01-30-2011, 05:25 PM
I can not find the hand outs and have not received an email with hand outs.Thanks for your help
Marita

oils4me
01-30-2011, 05:26 PM
Thank you Johannes for another excellent class....thank you to F&W Media as well...and to Judy (I think that's your name) for assisting with questions and answers...much appreciated!!
:clap:

DeboraM
01-30-2011, 05:28 PM
For those of us who are not able to get their own photos for whatever reason, there are many free stock photos online like freefoto.com, morguefile.com to use.

Cindy Griffith
01-30-2011, 05:28 PM
thanks for the opportunity of free e-learning

Spudisle2
01-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Thank you so much Johannes _ another great 2 plus hours!! Excellent

Sunny7
01-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Thank you so much for these classes.

Sunny7

donnagail
01-30-2011, 05:31 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

DeniseWeston
01-30-2011, 05:31 PM
First of all, thanks for this! I have really enjoyed the lesson, and look forward to the rest of the time. Second, how do I find the Syllabus? And is there access to the questions that Johannes is answering?

Thanks so much!:clap:

nana b
01-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Well Pete, you're the lucky one...you got in yesterday. I didn't get in yesterday or today.:rolleyes:
woe is me:crying: But I did get into the recorded one of yesterday today! Yes a lot of wasted time but hey it was free:D
I don't blame anyone though, it was just one of those things and it's called life. I have faith that they will get it fixed. And maybe we'll get to see the recorded version later.

Dot, yes I signed in again..and again.. and altogether probably 15 times and got comfirmation of each one of them in my email. It makes a person feel so helpless. I am determined to keep trying because I think Johannes is a very giving, very knowledgeable teacher. At least I got to see the recorded version of yesterday. Thanks

maxdawn
01-30-2011, 05:32 PM
I so wanted to do this but all I am able to get to is the page for the log in then it tells me that my e-mail or password is wrong...I was there for a bit today and yesterday but I got kicked out both days....oh well maybe another time....I did download the webinar and then there was a download for PC user which I am but still no luck....hope you all have fun with this course....
Maxine

Valerieart
01-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Will someone please tell me how to post and where to post my photos??
I know what size but, not the link etc.

Thanks, Valerie

Ruth04
01-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Thank you very much Johannes for the yesterday and today class, Excellent!!

Pinklady219
01-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Thank you for this opportunity.

Pinklady219
01-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Valerieart: just go to the Class Photos on the main discussion page.

Yabut
01-30-2011, 06:02 PM
I feel so lucky that I had no problem getting in either day, and what I've seen so far has gotten me all excited. I will be spending the week looking at old photos in a new light. I have one I was planning to paint, and will have to look at it with fresh eyes now, to see if it will work. Is it too late to post it, or do you have enough student examples now?

Jerry Bridgers
01-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Sue Burke:
I believe Johannes would class this as value 0 and he limits it for snow and waterfalls.

jerry

robertsloan2
Sorry to hear about the folks who couldn't get in. That's so rough. Hope the problems get ironed out next weekend. Johannes said at the end of class that he'll be mailing out another link that will be a universal one for next week's and hopefully that will be stable for the rest of the course.

Many thanks to F&W for sponsoring Johannes for this great course! Thank you, Johannes, for a wonderful session. I learned a lot today, was definitely in high note-taking mode and snapped a few screen shots too. If you noticed me in and out, some of it was taking screen shots. I could still see the screen even when I was in other software as well as hear you (except those screen shots).

Here's my notes from today's session!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2011/70184-Class-Jan-30-1.jpg
Yep, I surprised myself on the value scale this time. Usually I have problems with them but trying to do one in pen and ink worked much better than usual. Normally I get good values for the 5 to 10 range and a hard time with the lighter values, but this time I think it's fairly even!

Printed value scales are better. I only did it to demonstrate that 1 is white and there are ten values.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2011/70184-Class-Jan-30-2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2011/70184-Class-Jan-30-3.jpg
One thing I get out of doing these notes is so much practice making thumbnails! This one I was sketching from the memory of a painting I did and completely changed its composition by making it a more elongated rectangle and moving things around. Shows how memory can play tricks!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2011/70184-Class-Jan-30-4.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2011/70184-Class-Jan-30-5.jpg
Four and a half pages today. I guess I'll start next weekend with a half page!

PETE K
Hi Phyllis, Yep We could only do what we could do. hopefully it will be fixed by next week.

Hi Vallerie, You will find a link in my Signature Line at the bottom of my post on how to UpLoad Images and newbes FAQ?. Enjoy!:thumbsup:

MCook04
01-30-2011, 07:23 PM
I was at a family dinner this afternoon and missed todays seminar. Can we access today's (Sundays seminar) from Artist TV? Or, where can I go to see the re-run.

Thanks,

Mike

sherrysherman
01-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Robert, just a thought, but your notes are so awesome that you need your own thread. Or maybe a thread that is for "class notes" only, that you and others can post your notes on. Not for a lot of chit-chat and commentary and uploading of pictures for comment, etc. Just notes from the classes.

Otherwise, your notes (which are a great resource, especially for those who missed the class) will just get lost. (I know I can pop over to FB and find them but it would be nice to have them in a single location here too.)

If you start a thread, you could begin it just with links to your notes for Classes 1 & 2 (instead of uploading again).

lonelm
01-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Good idea Sherry, as always Robert takes great care of us for our Cliffs/Coles or whatever you call your condensed study material in your country/land. Thank you, once again Robert for great notes.

Earthdigger
01-30-2011, 07:38 PM
Note #765 was much appreciated; I only saw 1st two hours, Wish I knew how to print out just that one note. I have enjoyed the first two sessions very much. EARTHDIGGER.

lonelm
01-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Earthdigger just right click and save image as to your hard drive. Then you can print from there. Robert is a saint. As a matter of fact we need a St Robert holiday!!:lol: Followed by a week of Johannes Days :clap::clap:

sherrysherman
01-30-2011, 07:45 PM
First of all, thanks for this! I have really enjoyed the lesson, and look forward to the rest of the time. Second, how do I find the Syllabus? And is there access to the questions that Johannes is answering?

Thanks so much!:clap:

Denise, the Syllabus is on the first page of this thread.

The questions he answered are on page 45 of this thread, Post #672 I think.

rugman
01-30-2011, 07:49 PM
As soon as Johannes gets the new webinar link for the remainder of the class, I think a moderator should make it a LOCKED "sticky" thread.

This would contain webinar link, and 1st two posts of this thread (syllabus and class description).

We could then direct people to this sticky thread for class info and how to sign up.

Thanks Judy and Sherry for everything... and Robert of course!

sherrysherman
01-30-2011, 08:14 PM
... and what I've seen so far has gotten me all excited. I will be spending the week looking at old photos in a new light. I have one I was planning to paint, and will have to look at it with fresh eyes now, to see if it will work.

Me too! I was just looking through a batch of photos, and a lot of those I thought were good possibilities are now OUT (for example, not enough planes). Also, some I wasn't big on, I now see have the bones of a good painting - just may need tweaking.

BUT, at this point, do I have the confidence in my ability to "tweak" effectively?
Well now, that's just a darned good question.... :)

sherrysherman
01-30-2011, 08:25 PM
As soon as Johannes gets the new webinar link for the remainder of the class, I think a moderator should make it a LOCKED "sticky" thread.

This would contain webinar link, and 1st two posts of this thread (syllabus and class description).

We could then direct people to this sticky thread for class info and how to sign up.
!

Yes, great idea, Ron. How many posts are there in this thread giving out the registration link, and then the new registration link? Would be nice to have it in one place, easy to find, easy to refer people to.

btate
01-30-2011, 08:37 PM
I must take a moment to thank Johannes and the publisher for setting this up. In addition I would like to thank all of the folks that have tried to help new folks and have come up with valuable suggestions to help all of us.

From the "Cliff" notes of Robert to all the others that have guided us through this birthing of a new experience, your help and resourcefullness has not gone unnoticed.

Sorry but I can't go back through several hundred posts and name you all :) you know who your are and thank you.

Bernie

IrmaH322
01-30-2011, 09:22 PM
Robert I think Sherry is right, your notes are too valuable to get lost in a long thread.

mollerman
01-30-2011, 09:35 PM
I agree. Robert takes great notes!!!