PDA

View Full Version : goofed my scratchbord art

birdlady
01-31-2003, 12:12 PM
I have been working on this piece for over 20 hrs now and decided I could take my ref lines off...wroooong. I had used a white transfer paper to give me guide lines on this piece..I goofed up a charcoal drawing by not doing this ..to keep me in line of where things went. Now I cant get them off. I tried to put more ink over them but they still show. Any ideas how to get them off? I am still working on this but any suggestions on it will be appreciated. Thanks

sorry this is so big ...some reason WC resized it for me and now I cant get it to go smaller. sigh

Laurie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2003/5126-SBelvis.jpg

myorca
01-31-2003, 03:15 PM
Hi Laurie,

Are you refering to the bracket in the bottom right corner and the line in the top right corner about the height of the head? You may want to try scraping very lightly over the marks....then adding ink over that. Perhaps the marks are not allowing the ink to set in those areas. Scraping them away then adding ink to the clay may be the answer.
When you spray the board with a fixative alot of imperfections will disapear.

You may want to get one of those 5x7 3 packs of boards and play around with it to get the feel of it. It can be fixed. These boards are not as tempermental as most think. :)

Let me know how it goes!!

Bob

birdlady
01-31-2003, 04:31 PM
hi myorca,
yep...u have good eyes for this being a bad scan.. :) I will try that and get back to u ...geeez I hope it works. I dont usually use the guides but at times u think u need to. My norm is to just start scratching away. Is there a way u put guide lines on then with ease in getting the lines back off? hope that makes sense :( wish I could get the smaller boards but the supply store only starts at the 8x10 size. will use one of them to practice on though.

I now have another problem thanks to my goofy parrot. she grabbed it while I had my back to her and chipped of the left hand corner. Never Ever turn your back on a bird!!!! It went clear down to the pressed board. Naughty Naughty bird. I also am finding u need to take off your long nails to work on this stuff..lol.

off to try your suggestion and TY for your help.

Laurie

birdlady
02-03-2003, 12:09 PM
Scraping them away then adding ink

I used this suggestion and it seems to have worked some. The ink seems to have a different color then the original though. I am hoping in the end when I spray it this will dissappear. I am going to continue to work on it in hopes it works out. crossing my fingers.

Laurie

sassybird
02-04-2003, 11:47 AM
If myorca's suggestion doesn't work to your satisfaction, and your bird grabs it again then turn the piece into a happy mistake. Let you imagination run and add some other mediums to it to cover up the boo boo's.

myorca
02-04-2003, 11:58 AM
Hi Laurie,

If you plan on matting and framing your scratchboard when it is finished, it should hide the bite mark! hahaha The process I use to mat and frame is I inset the scratchboard into a 1/8 inch foam board that is then backed with a 3/16 inch piece of foam board. The matting then lies on top of the board like any other piece. I usually double mat and use non-glare glass although they say you dont need to use glass after sprayin the fixative, I always do.

The pic here is not a good one but you can get the idea of how it looks

Bob

sassybird
02-04-2003, 11:01 PM
Bob, can you explain how you inset the piece in the foam board? I have never done that before, and it sounds like a wonderful way to protect work from the back.

myorca
02-05-2003, 12:54 AM
Hi Sassybird!

I cut a piece of 3/16" foam board the size of the frame that I am going to use, this will be used as the back of the whole assembly. I then cut a 1/8" piece of foam the same size, but cut a hole in the middle of it the size of the scratchboard. I usually cut the hole a little higher than center so that when matting the piece there will be a wider area below the picture. Hope you are following ok.
What this does is cradle the scratchboard and allows the matting to lay solidly across the foam with about an 1/8 inch overlap onto the scratchboard itself.
I then cut two matts and glass and sandwich the whole thing together in the frame.
Hopefully the image will help you see

Bob

birdlady
02-05-2003, 09:27 AM
sassybird..hahaaha good idea..shes a stinker when it comes to getting into trouble. Lost count of how many brushes and pencils she has redesigned for me.

myorca..what a neat way to mat and frame the scratchboard. Am going to try that!! I knew there was no need to use glass also but have myself been reluctent not too. It just seems to fragile and with all the work you put into it I would hate to see something happen to the piece. I love the way you have framed the raccoon. It really adds to it.

I usually cut the hole a little higher than center so that when matting the piece there will be a wider area below the picture

You lost me on why you do this. a senior moment on my part? hahahaha Thank you for suggesting and showing how you do this.

Laurie

myorca
02-05-2003, 02:26 PM
Hi Laurie,

When matting a picture the usual course is to make the top and two sides the same width and the bottom a little larger. When cutting the foam for the scratchboard to set into, the hole needs to be higher than center to accomdate for that offset in matt width.
If you want the matt to be the same width all around the picture, then the hole in the foam would be cut in the center.
The scratchboard is inset into the hole in the foam creating a solid flush area that the mat board can sit on.

Does this help? :)

Bob

birdlady
03-04-2003, 02:18 PM
I have finished this piece but not really to my satisfaction. I tried to cover goofs and it looked good til I sealed it now I can see flaws in it. If anyone can further with suggestions I will try them. Thanks

Laurie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2003/5126-SBELVIS2_copy.jpg