PDA

View Full Version : Have a question

Luvy
01-28-2003, 06:50 PM
Was looking through one of my many books today and came across an artist I would like to know if she has done an art book. She had a section in Keys to panting light and shadow, by Rachel Wolf
I found some of her work on a search, but nothing about her or any books she has. I love her style.

Redsy333
01-28-2003, 07:15 PM
Luvy not sure , but did you do a search on Barnes and Noble, or Amazon? Also try a search in Northern Light Books, they are the big retailers in the Art market!;) Hope that helps!!!

Mo.
01-28-2003, 07:22 PM
Luvy, just did a quick Google search for books by Rachel Wolf, and this is what came up, don't know if it's the same person as this one is a guy! :D

take a look see anyway.

http://www.tolehouse.com/books/w/authwolr.htm

Mo.

P.S. Just checked this site, it has a book called 'Keys to shadow and light. ' so must be the same one full name is Rachel Rubin Wolf. :)

Luvy
01-28-2003, 08:17 PM
Thanks Redsy and Mo But the artist's name is Sally Strand. She just had a demo in the book by Rachel Wolf. Tried Amazon Didn't try Barnes and Noble yet.
Did a google search but just came up with a few of her paintings. Nothing much about her

I thought I put that in the question previously OOPS

http://www.dnfagallery.com/amfig/strand_espressobar.jpg

KarenU
01-28-2003, 09:17 PM
Luvy....isn't Sally Strand an amazing artist. I've long loved her work. She captures such amazing light and shadows in her paintings. Jackie Simmonds is right up there with Sally, in my book, for capturing that elusive quality of light in her paintings. Unfortunately, I don't know of any books by Sally Strand, but I do know that she offers workshops at the Scottsdale Artist School.

CarlyHardy
01-28-2003, 09:30 PM
I don't know if Sally Strand has a book, but she does have several paintings in books by Carole Katchan. Her work really is amazing!
carly

sundiver
01-28-2003, 09:39 PM
To change the subject a bit, Luvy, how do you like that book? I've seen it in stores and wondered about it.

Luvy
01-28-2003, 11:07 PM
Thanks everyone *S*

Sundiver It's not bad. Going to do some heavy studying on the light and shadows. I have trouble sitting and reading though LOL I'm pretty hyper and need to be doing something And just reading bores me so bad LOL

rd2ruin
01-29-2003, 01:24 AM
I didn't even know about Sally Strand until this post. Dont think she has a book, but here's a quick bio which mentions where you can find articles...

Sally Strand
Having received national recognition and many awards, Strand has been the subject of articles in The Pastel Journal (May/June 2001), American Artist, The Artist's Magazine and Southwest Art, among others. Her work is featured in numerous books, including Creative Pastel Painting and Pastels Masterclass, and she is listed in Who's Who in American Artists. Her work can be seen in Galleries in Laguna Beach and New York City.
Sally Strand's website:
www.dnfagallery.com

Reading. I can relate. I hate reading. I read a paragraph, and then think "Did I just read a paragraph? Which one was it?" And I wonder why learning something is such a chore!! :confused:

Cheers
- Greg

angecald
01-29-2003, 01:54 AM
I'm a huge fan of Sally Strand. There's no book about her that I know of, otherwise I would have bought it. I first discovered her in a book called "Light, How to See It, How to Paint It" by Lucy Willis, which has about six examples, then recently I found her on the internet and learned that she lives in California and sometimes does workshops, which makes me want to arise and go to California to sit at her feet, but alas, time and money don't permit and probably never will. Sorry you all don't like to read, I'm a degenerate addict that way, but art books are mostly about the pictures anyway, arent' they?

jackiesimmonds
01-29-2003, 03:25 AM
[i]art books are mostly about the pictures anyway, arent' they? [/B]

As someone who has written several art instruction books, I could not help but have a little internal groan of despair when i read this comment. I know this is what people do, mostly, you are not alone in this.

But you should know that when I write my books, I work SO HARD on the text, and the pictures are there TO ILLUSTRATE THE POINTS MADE IN THE TEXT. Please believe me, you can learn so much more if you read the text and THEN look at the pictures.

If you find reading a chore, then just do tiny bits at a time, but please, please, read the text. Learning about painting can only enhance your own paintings, so it truly is worth the effort.

Jackie

Luvy
01-29-2003, 09:34 AM
Well a big part about reading for me is it makes my eyes tired quicikly. I"m not one to fall asleep easily but makes me feel like I should go lay down and sleep LOL Reading on the internet is a little better. I wear classes and pretty much blind as a bat but with glasses I have 20/20 distance. That's fine for driving and living life but reading It never seems like glasses well enough. Don't think I don't get my glasses changed enough I go once a year. My vision requires that LOL But reading is more of a chore since bifocals EVen tried reading glasses. Got me but I sure can't read for long. Then the hyper part doesn't help either.

I know excuses excuses. But I'm determined to study this book.

Jackie One thing I found in the books I have is, Hmm how do I word this. Maybe more explicit directions Choice of colors used, what went first second etc. I found a few books I've liked and would have to go over them again to see what it was they were missing. But what I stated is the ones that stand out in my mind right now.

sandge
01-29-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by jackiesimmonds

As someone who has written several art instruction books, I could not help but have a little internal groan of despair when i read this comment. I know this is what people do, mostly, you are not alone in this.

But you should know that when I write my books, I work SO HARD on the text, and the pictures are there TO ILLUSTRATE THE POINTS MADE IN THE TEXT. Please believe me, you can learn so much more if you read the text and THEN look at the pictures.

If you find reading a chore, then just do tiny bits at a time, but please, please, read the text. Learning about painting can only enhance your own paintings, so it truly is worth the effort.

Jackie
:D You really made me stop and think Jackie. I love art books - have loads. But what makes me choose them is if I like the pictures. Usually, it's because I see something that inspires me - a subject, colour combination or technique I want to try. I might read the text about that image but I very much dip in and out of the rest. I'm afraid I buy art instruction books for the pictures. :evil: :D

jmfletch
01-29-2003, 07:51 PM
I know I am a virtual rookie here and as much a novice in pastels, but I had to jump in and agree with sandrafletcher. I buy all art books based on the pictures. Usually the handling of light or texture is what attracts me. But it is definitely about the pictures (and the hope that I will be able to absorb enough from the text to emulate the qualities I liked in the pictures).

joe fletcher
( No relation ... that I am aware of.)]

KarenU
01-29-2003, 08:36 PM
Okay....I buy the art books for the text! :D Sure...the pictures are the icing on the cake, but give me good concise explanations of techniques and demos and that's what I'm looking for. Bottom line, its the step by step's that get me to spend my dollar. If an artist has just added their paintings to a book to illustrate a point, that isn't really good enough for me, it's actually more frustrating because I'm always wondering HOW they did a specific passage or technique. I want to see the techniques described and illustrated as WIPs.