01-28-2003, 08:05 AM
Congrats Gunilla!!
Watch that pin when they stick it on ya!!:D
Cheers
Crumby

gredelin
01-28-2003, 09:43 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Enough with the Oscar speech (although, like Julia, I already have a TV so I don't need to keep it short ;))
Instead, I'll use this spot to tell what I learned the hard way this week:

1) Get the drawing right!

I know it's obvious but I'm just sooo impatient! But just for fun, I restarted the portrait of Axel and this time I traced the features from an enlarged printout of the photo (something I would normally never ever do, since it's cheating... ). This was a revelation to me - I never thought of how much easier it is to apply the colors, get the shapes of shadows etc when the drawing is dead on. This does not mean I'll keep tracing, I even prefer working from life to working from photos, but it was a good exercise.

2) A painting has to stand on its own.

For my class last Thursday, we had this great model, in her forties, very pale with black hair. I worked hard to capture her skin color, finally got it right and got compliments from the instructor, so I was very pleased with myself (about the skin color - the placement of her features was an entirely different matter).

Ok, time for line-up. No-one else has the correct pale skin color. Also, nobody elses portrait looks like a haggard overhung Snow Whites evil stepmother. It just didn't work! If I ever get to the point where a portrait of mine gets framed and hung somewhere... I can't stand there and tell everybody:
"It really looked like that - I swear it did!"

Whoever made it this far - thanks for reading!
/Gunilla

bnoonan
01-28-2003, 12:42 PM
G,

Congratulations on the medal of honor. I especially enjoyed reading what you learned this week. thanks for sharing that.

- I came to the realization about the drawing about 8 months ago and figured out I could beat everyone else in the class at my final work if I made sure the drawing was right. It sure saves a heck of a lot of time in the long run.

- I still need to learn about the image standing on it's own.

All that said....

Did you have fun while you were creating the evil stepmother?

Didn't it feel great to paint???? That's what I hold key. I figure anyone can achieve perfection - I just have to enjoy the process.

Barb

gredelin
01-28-2003, 01:27 PM
Thanks Barb,

Yes, I had fun! I can't begin to describe what these classes mean to me. The total concentration, the way time flies, it's incredible.

And for me, most of the fun comes from the challenge of capturing what's there. Which means I don't concentrate on creating a pretty picture, which leads to the kind of experience I described...

But I feel it was a good lesson, and I hope I get there one day: staying true to the subject while still achieving, not necessarily beauty... but balance, within the painting.

/Gunilla