PDA

View Full Version : Sketchcrawl

Artlike
01-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Is anyone here going to participate in the world wide skechcrawl on Jan 22. I'm hoping to find someone here in east Texas to participate...not any luck yet though.

DrDebby
01-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Hadn't heard about it, but thanks for sharing the information. A bit too cold where I am to sketch out of doors.

Artlike
01-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Debby, I live in East Texas and it's cold here today...old saying here....if you don't like todays weather....just wait...it'll change soon! I'm hoping for the best on the 22nd.....I may be sketching alone...in the car but I plan to try. Everyone should check out sketchcrawl.com. It's a very fun concept.....they have several of these a year...this will be their 30th. People all over the world go out on the day assigned and sketch and post their work on line! Like a worldwide brotherhood/sisterhood of sketch lovers.

Helen
01-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Sounds fun, a good exercise; however, 10 F is too cold for me to be outside, does going to a coffee shop count?

eyepaint
01-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Sounds fun, a good exercise; however, 10 F is too cold for me to be outside, does going to a coffee shop count?

Sure does.

Ai has done sketchcrawling in Bangkok, and J has also done some sketchcrawling. I hope one of them can weigh in. BTW the website is http://www.sketchcrawl.com/

Artlike
01-11-2011, 05:51 PM
EP, thanks for responding.....I also think it is such a great idea....kinda uniting sketchers all over the world....on a given date! I've been trying to find someone locally to join up with me...no luck yet. It's cold here in East Texas now also...should be 19 degrees tonight....but heck....this is Texas...it could 70 on sketch day. ......and if I have to.....I'll sketch from my car ;-}
Ed

Jakesgram
01-12-2011, 03:39 AM
Ed - I've seen this event before and always wanted to try it out. Unfortunately, I'm all booked up on the 22nd with "Grandkid duties" and my regular Saturday afternoon painting class. I'll look forward to seeing what you get done though! Have fun.

Bluefly
01-12-2011, 06:49 AM
its too cold here as well, I did hear that every state including Hawaii has snow except Florida. Funny.. I don't think it is warm anywhere in the US. Thanks for the info and invite.

CandAlArt
01-17-2011, 12:52 AM
Sounds like a cool idea. I looked briefly at the sketchcrawl.com website- heard of the word but I didn't know what it was! I have to work that day but have several morning hours I can sketch, and maybe a nocturnal scene after work from my front porch! I have yet to gain the skill of uploading but I enjoy participating with WC and this sounds fun. Colorado can be anywhere from 0 to 68 degrees on Jan. 22 so "we shall see." It's always warm inside my car...

Artlike
01-17-2011, 01:44 AM
Good for you Candace. I haven't found a sketching partner for the 22nd....but I plan to try anyway.....I may sittin in the car to sketch also. Plus....I don't have much experience sketching live.....I usually work from photos....but I'm doin it anyway.

Ed

JamieWG
01-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks a million for the reminder about the upcoming Sketchcrawl! I might not be able to do that exact date, but I will try to do one within a few days of that date.

Jamie

Artlike
01-23-2011, 09:25 PM
Well....I did it! I'm proud to say that I was part of a world wide sketch effort...they even let me post a picture on the site....obviously making an effort...over rides artistic ability!! I just think it was such a great idea for the site founders to get this effort going....and staying strong. They have one every few months....I hope to improve and try again.....hope some folks here jump in!! Here is my link for what it's worth...but take time to look at the others. http://www.sketchcrawl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=5971

RainySea
01-23-2011, 09:40 PM
congratulations, Ed!!! Being a group of 1 and still going through with it is commendable in itself. Hope you will be able to find some fellow crawlers soon.

I think you gazebo is very intricate and nicely done.

eyepaint
01-23-2011, 10:35 PM
Congrats, Ed! I was a group of one, too - no arguing about the itinerary :) :)

DrDebby
01-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Good for you Ed. You didn't pick an easy reference for your sketch either. Did a great job.

CandAlArt
01-24-2011, 01:07 AM
Cool, Ed! I had a busy day but I did get one poor, half scribble while driving somewhere (in the passenger seat that is!) But it will remind me to take up the next opportunity with more effort!! Ha!

mhimeswc
01-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Hi Ed! I looked at your sketch and left a comment. I'm usually either one of two, or solo for the sketchcrawls. Joan and I have never managed to hook up with a group. It's still fun to do and then look at all the sketches that come in from around the world.

Artlike
01-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks so much for looking and commenting....I too, love looking at all the sketches from around the world...it's a unique experience. Do you have one posted there also?
Ed

mhimeswc
01-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Yes, I have three sketches posted there - at the Sketchcrawl site, look for Wyckoff, NJ. Mine and Joan's are on there. But you can see my sketches right here in the Art Journal forum under Michelle's January Journal.

peonyblue
01-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Argh! I always seem to miss the annual Sketchcrawls by a few days. (We were moving on the 22nd, so I'd have had to sketch a whole lot of mostly-packed boxes all day long, but hey...it's better than actually MOVING THE BOXES. lol...)

Aren't there sketchcrawl meetups throughout the year at various places, or is that another group I'm thinking of?

Artlike
01-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Yes...they have several per year...don't remember when the next is...now that you moved...unpack the sketch book & pens...I'm sure there will be another in 2-3 months. Check: sketchcrawl.com
Ed