PDA

View Full Version : Will acrylic paint stick to glaze?

Sparky
01-25-2003, 07:36 PM
I created a clay fish, had it glazed and HATE the color and the shine! I know I used the wrong glaze, I'm new at glazing, etc, etc. but now all I want is to "save" my fish. I want to paint it with acrylics (my normal medium) to get the look I want and am afraid it won't stick.

I tried sanding in a spot to get some tooth for the paint to stick, but between the hard glaze and my textured scaly fish surface this isn't workable.

Any help would be appreciated. I thought you porcelain people might be the right place to start.

Decor Delights
02-02-2003, 11:56 AM
Dear Sparky,
I was very interested in your post, I hope these ideas may help you.

I love to paint on all surfaces and have had some experience with slick, shiny surfaces. Here are some ideas.

First, your surface needs to be clean and free from dirty and oils. Wash surface with soap and water and then rinse with white vinegar. Let dry.

Matte sealer or primer:
Find a spray primer that will stick to a glossy surface. Sometimes I have had good success with Krylon 1311 Matte. This will stick to shiny surface and give the piece enough tooth for the paint to stick. Also, if you don't like a shiny painted surface, give it a spray of 1311 and it won't be shiny anymore.

JW Etc's Undercover:
Another product I have had great success with it JW Etc's Undercover. This primer sticks to everything, even plastic. It is a white semi-opaque primer. I found that several coats gives a really great paintable surface. It accepts acrylic paints wonderfully.

Glass Paints:
Glass paints stick great to slick surfaces. The trick with the glass paint is to let them thoroughly dry between coats. They tend to be transparent, and will take may coats to get an opaque coverage. But, with some experimenting, you may even be able to "glaze" over what you have already done and change the look of your fish. If it doesn't work out, just wash the paint off before it cures.

Best wishes!
:)

Sparky
02-02-2003, 02:44 PM
Exactly the info I needed! I'll scout out the products and start making the changes.

In the meantime, here is a "Before" fish picture. It was slab rolled, 2 sides, then I trimmed off most of the top edges of one side and slipped the two sides together, the bellies bulging slightly to help it stand up. Added fins flared out that work as "feet" to hold it up.

I will post an "After" picture when the (ghastly!) color is changed.

arlene
02-08-2003, 11:50 AM
hey i like the color! check around first, you might find others feel as i do...

i sell my work, and I find over and over again those pieces that i'm not as happy with are the first to sell...go figure...

Sparky
02-09-2003, 01:18 AM
Arlene - thanks for the vote of confidence but it is a bit late - I already took Decor Delight's suggestions to heart and have transformed my fish!

Thanks, Decor Delight! I used the Krylon 1311 and sprayed on 3 light coats. Probably could have used more, as it turned out that some spots, where the clay texture was dimpled, didn't catch the spray. So when I started painting a few "scales" were left the original turquoise glaze. But I liked that! Rather like a bright underpainting. Couldn't use a brush, it just looked streaky, so ended up rubbing the paints on with a rag in several light layers. Black, Hunter green (transparent), white, micaceous oxide (silver) and pearlescence. Love the result - just what I had in mind. So I attached the result and thank you for the help!

Sparky

Wally's Mom
02-13-2003, 02:06 PM
I liked the first one, and wouldn't have bothered to improve upon it. But the finished product is great -- now I understand why you were u happy with the original. :p