PDA

View Full Version : Oil pastels.

Mo.
01-23-2003, 08:20 PM
Okay, I dug out my oil pastels tonight, haven't used them for about 25 years, when I found them they had a milky film over them, they were dried out a little and I found I didn't have much in the way of colours either, anyway I thought I'd have a quick splurge with them, here is the ref pic, taken yesterday at my local country park.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2003/5154-thouse.jpg

The same pic but buzzed to block out details.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2003/5154-thousebuzz.jpg

And finally my very quick rendition, about an hour and a half.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2003/5154-tredhouse.jpg

It's very rough, the water I know, it's sloping uphill, but I had a bit of fun, I'd forgotten how much I used to enjoy this medium, think I may invest in some new ones.

Have a laugh and a giggle. I don't mind :D

bnoonan
01-23-2003, 08:29 PM
Mo,

Looking good!!!

It may be time to go back to this medium some more.

Love the reference photo that you manipulated. It's powerful.

Barb

Mikki Petersen
01-23-2003, 10:16 PM
Very, very nice. So, how come yours does not look like it was done with crayolas? What brand are these old dried up sticks? Yours looks like a painting!

bikevstar
01-23-2003, 10:22 PM
Wow! This is good. I really like it the way it is. You did an excellent job. Perhaps one should consider doing a few more in this medium?
Kelly:clap:

Dark_Shades
01-24-2003, 02:59 AM
I actually really nice this Mo :clap: good on ya for trying something diff too........ that buzz effect might help me too with greens :D .... how did you buzz? lol

sunny
01-24-2003, 05:24 AM
Hi Mo...Buzz is a high tech geek term for????need to know more:D

Fine job with those old oil sticks...I agree you should invest in some new ones and continue to have fun....the old one seemed to work fine though...:)

magnuscanis
01-24-2003, 06:00 AM
Buzzing, however you do it (and I can think of several techniques that would probably work), looks like a great idea for doctoring a reference photo. The biggest problem I have with painting from photos, probably much more so than from life, is trying to avoid getting bogged down in niggling details. Obviously removing the details from the reference would be one way to manage that ;)

BTW nice picture. Perhaps could do with a few more dark tones to build up the contrast, but overall it works really well. I'm also encouraged because I haven't touched my oil pastels for nearly a year and I thought that was a long time. :D

bnoonan
01-24-2003, 12:10 PM
Oh, I just noticed something else (unless it's the digital image).

The temperature of the color in the lighted path to the left is warm and yet you have it as a cool color. I'm wondering if that would help prevent me from thinking there are two streams in this painting.

Just a thought.

Barb

Dave.t
01-24-2003, 12:23 PM
Looking really good Mo.
Love the choice of colours.

Only one thing.... perhaps turn bird to face into picture...looking forward to finished job

Dave:D

Mikki Petersen
01-24-2003, 03:35 PM
What bird? Where? Do I need a new monitor?

Mo.
01-24-2003, 06:25 PM
Wow!! Thanks for all the interest in this simple little piece, methinks it's the buzzed pic that's intriguiging you all. I have a filter programme bought for for Xmas called BuzzPro2. I do quite a bit of phtotmanipulation to help me get ideas for art work and just for fun too. It's an excellent filter compatible with Photoshop and PSP. However you can produce a poor man's buzz in photoshop if you play around with the gausian blur/smart blur and sharpen features, but it's a lot of fiddling and not so good.

Here's an example of the same pic using Photoshops blur and sharpen features for you to compare.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2003/5154-thouse_photbuzzed.jpg

With Buzzpro2 you can add a watercolour overlay and other such things too, so completely altering your original photo into a work of art really, but it really helps you to visualise how you would like to paint the pic.

Barb, yes I agree about the tones, but these oilpastels are about 25 years old, a lot were unusable, so had to improvise. think I will buy some more.

Mikki, I applied some of the pastels straight onto the paper, then brushed it with turps to smooth it out, just like oil painting, the sky and water was done this way, then you can apply more pastel over the top and keep blending away, I make my own paper blenders out of thin strips of paper, I find them softer.

The bird is a crow, sat on the brach about 2/3rds up on the right edge! :)

Thanks all. :)

Mikki Petersen
01-24-2003, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the info Mo. Doesn't help me a lot because they think it was the fumes from the turps that made me so ill. That is the reason I don't paint in oils anymore. Anyway, the technique worked beautifully for you. I keep coming back to look at the painting.