PDA

View Full Version : Abstract Cubism - I Think! I LIKE This!

dd50
01-22-2003, 11:01 AM
Today ... after fiddling with 100 sketches ..... ok ... maybe not quite 100 .... but close ... lol ..... I decided to do what I was 'feeling' about drawing .... I guess I mean... what it was that came naturally to me.... and this is it:

As you can see ... it's a bit abstract .. but also a bit cubism .. at least I think so. It's fun .... yet interesting to do .... yet it takes some thought ....

I re-did this one with full bodies ...... and a cat at their feet, and titled it 'Cubicle Love'.

Whatcha think?

This rough sketch is done on canvas paper.

Edited to add: I've attached a 2'nd post and picture of a larger drawing .. that includes a cat ... and I'll be adding 2 more cats, and outlining everything darker. As noted in the post, it's just a practice drawing with CP .... which will become a painting with acrylics on canvas.

I need to combine the true style of 'cubism' with my own absract look of the 2'nd picture.

Comments? Opinoins? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Dee

Hugs,
Dee

mallory
01-22-2003, 12:19 PM
Dee, I like the outlined, cartoonish, cubist style you are working with. I believe it has a lot of potential. I can't see the "redo" so maybe the composition has evolved. My only critical comment about the piece you posted is that it is very symetrical, which makes it a static composition. I would prefer more contrast between the two figures. It would probably be more dynamic yet if there were a stronger third element in the image, another figure, a chair, a partition wall, whatever so you can work with three elements, rather than two. That should make it more dynamic and less static.

FWIW,
mallory

dd50
01-22-2003, 02:09 PM
Mallory,

Thanks for taking the time to look. :)

I've attached the new larger one I'm working on ... remember, this is just a practice piece.

This has a cat ... as you can see ..... and hasn't been outlined completely yet. ... but you get the idea. It's also not truly cubism, but more abstract ...... so I'll be doing another with these 3 figures, that will be more cubism .....

Whatcha think?
Dee

mallory
01-22-2003, 05:22 PM
Dee:

I like that a lot better. The little cat really breaks up the symmetry between the two characters. Also the raised paw on the cat seems to connect with the hand of the character on the right allowing the eye to circle around (and around until the viewer is totally under your spell :) ) I like the movement you have there. But, I never seem to have a lack for nits so, I thought there was more "empty space" on the left than was best for the image.

I hope you will forgive my crop, but I lopped off a chunk and repost it for you to compare.

I think your painting should be marketed to a fashionable upscale restaurant that has dancing. I think it has a good commercial application.

mallory

dd50
01-22-2003, 06:15 PM
Hi Mallory,

I added 2 more cats ... one didn't come out well .... and placed a background ..... which I really don't like. LOL!!

But this is JUST practice after all .... sooooooo

Here's what I have so far .... with close ups of the cats.

I'm going to start over ...... and do it again.... with more cubism, and a different background.

Dee

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~ddonath988/

mallory
01-22-2003, 07:16 PM
I thought your final version was a lot of fun. It was really swingin'. That jive cat on the left gave the piece a bit of attitude with the claws extended. I look forward to more of these. Thanks for sharing.

mallory

Pilan
01-28-2003, 02:00 AM
Dee I love this stuff. Someone called my little cube type figures ditties ;) but your are more than ditties.
I think this is so fun and lively. I love it.

I have been doing abstracts and nonobjectionable paintings for quite sometimes. Also do some real abstract shapes and characters for about 2 years. but I am still relunctant to post them yet. I did post a few a while back but was not really ready. I am still painting day in and day out. Maybe soon I will post some. hmmm, I paint abstract for about 2 weeks then I go and paint impressionist style for about 3 weeks and then I have to go back and loosen up with abstract. ooohhhhhhh its such a ying and yang. i love them both.

I want to see more of your abstracts. yeah more! :clap: