PDA

View Full Version : Dolls and/or Textiles: Diana's January Sketchbook Theme, Or Whatever...

dianapotts
01-03-2011, 06:13 PM
This is just a continuation of my 200 or so page black bound sketchbook where I began last month's theme of dolls. I'll be doing the sketches at night because the best lighting is at night where I have control of lighting and contrast.

I also have another sketchbook in my purse that I use just in case I see something of interest. Today I was in luck and found an eagle. I went into a local eatery that has a viewing scope for closeups of the eagles that are in the area and got to sketch a bit of the tail. Then it flew away.

I tried drawing it from memory not using past photos I have seen but drawing on my immediate experience of the bird to draw an image.

It's not much, but it was done on the run.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2011/182469-eagle_sketch_Jan3,_2011.jpg

It's very sketchy and not accurate. But my attitude is that the questions that came up in my mind the next time I observe an eagle based on what I did here will improve the next one.

I live near here and pass by on my way back and forth to work. It may be worth stopping by in the morning for tea to see what happens.

Diana

poochemio
01-03-2011, 07:11 PM
I think that is a great idea Diana! And given most of it is from memory a great sketch! I'm eager to see what develops as you go back to catch sight of another.

dianapotts
01-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Hopefully another one will show up. The reat thing about that eating place is is that it has other views to draw if the eagles don't reappear.

Thanks for looking at this little humble drawing. It is from an Academie Sketch diary that is 9" x 6".

Diana

JTMB
01-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Diana - this is great! Believe me, I know how difficult it is to draw birds from life, and then from memory as well. It is, however, excellent practice that really helps sketching skills. So I would feel fine about this one. Out here we have eagles galore now - to the point where even some bird people are getting annoyed at them because of their predation on other species of birds (herons being one example). So I know their structure pretty well - I can see you did a good job observing the bill (beak) here. I find bills the toughest part of birds to get correct, so getting a decent start from a live subject is quite challenging. You did well!

dianapotts
01-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Thank you John, your comments are so supportive. I enjoy the challenge and in the momentness about trying to get birds on paper from life like this.

Whoever chose the American eagle as the national bird knew what they were doing. This is one magnificent creature. The head feathers in my drawing go up a little because he was downwind from it and the way the feathers went up you could see the arrangement of feathers on the head almost radiating in direction from the eye. What a fabulous design of nature.

They eat herons? Oh, mention was made of one being around but not seen lately. I remember seeing it once. An eagle may have eaten it? They are so protected. I hope that doesn't interfere with the balance of nature around here. We're trying to play God and sometimes we fall short of what is right.

The eagle was so still and patient in the cold wind.

Anyway, thank you again. I admire your bird work and feel honored by the compliment.

I grew up on a pheasant farm and later in life had the chance to do studies from a stuffed golden pheasant. I also had the chance at night once to draw golden pheasants while sleeping. They are my bird.

I felt dismayed by the red winged blackbirds' fate in Arkansas the other day. They are my other favorite bird as they were around where I grew up.

OK back to doing a study from a doll.

Diana

Vivien Maloney
01-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Great sketches Diana. I hope you go back to do more.
We visited Alaska on holiday a few years ago and the Tour Bus pulled in beside a beach where there were several Eagles eating Salmon. We stayed there for about 15mins watching them. What a marvellous sight - amazing birds!

DrDebby
01-04-2011, 12:25 AM
Wonderful job recording your observations. Definitely have another go at it if you get the chance.

seejay
01-04-2011, 04:56 AM
A great 'on the run' sketch. I'm sure it will help next time you sketch these great birds.

mhimeswc
01-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Drawing live objects is always on the run, but how lucky to get the opportunity to sketch an eagle! Nice job too.

dianapotts
01-04-2011, 10:20 AM
A great 'on the run' sketch. I'm sure it will help next time you sketch these great birds.

I see you are in Queensland which is where that awful floding is. Thank you for taking the time to reply here. I do hope you are dry and safe. Praying for your neighboring towns.

Be safe.

Diana

RainySea
01-04-2011, 10:25 AM
eagles are such gorgeous birds. . . how fun to see one with a scope and draw him (some anyway). And lovely work from memory, that is hard.

Joan T
01-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Great job on the eagle, especially his beak! I find it hard drawing from memory, but you did well.

eyepaint
01-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Wow - to sketch an eagle from real life? Wow!

seejay
01-04-2011, 07:42 PM
I see you are in Queensland which is where that awful floding is. Thank you for taking the time to reply here. I do hope you are dry and safe. Praying for your neighboring towns.

Be safe.

Diana

Thanks Diana - the flood waters have gone from around here, a big clean up is in progress. Still an amazing lot of water elsewhere all over the state. I'm enjoying some sunshine, but that may end tomorrow; the prediction is for more rain starting tomorrow...hopefully not as much as they expect. :crossfingers:

Cheers

dianapotts
01-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Wow - to sketch an eagle from real life? Wow!

The birds are so magnificent that it feels like a privilege. I was told today that they come around that spot at around 7:00 AM. I just may go tomorrow to see what I can find. It's bicycling distance.

Diana

dianapotts
01-14-2011, 01:13 AM
This is a study of a doll's sleeve. Fabric curves in white are so beautiful when there are gathers. I just had to try this doll's sleeve that stands on my desk.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2011/182469-doll_sleeve_study__Jan_14_2011.jpg

8" x 11" graphite drawing in my black hard-bound journal.

Enjoy.

Diana

poochemio
01-14-2011, 01:21 AM
Wow Diana, the folds came out super, and that lace is pretty impressive too!

Joan T
01-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Gorgeous job on that lace and all the folds!

DrDebby
01-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Magnificent. I think you got the folds and lace spot on.

dianapotts
01-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Thank you ladies! You lace lovers!

This kind of drawing and learning is what I want to spend the year on.

There has been so much interest on nudes in art which is a great skill in itself. And I do appreciate the beauty of the human body.

I just wish that more attention is given to the incredibly diversified world of textiles. What human beings have come up with in threads over the ages is mind boggling. I used to do surface design with block printing, but it doesn't satisfy me the way drawing what has been done by human hands in this arena.

Indirectly this thread is part of the celebration and personal expression of celebration for the upcoming Royal Wedding. I am looking forward to seeing The Dress. This is just part of the fun amd anticipation even if it isn't part of the festivities.

More is coming...

I have a few days off from work to do more. Thank you for your support. Drawing folds of fabric takes patience and it isn't easy.

Satisfying, though and worth the wait.

Diana

seejay
01-16-2011, 08:49 PM
What a wonderful little drapery study...not to mention the lace - I've tried that before, not easy. :clap:

RainySea
01-16-2011, 09:04 PM
wow, awesome lace study! so intricate

dianapotts
01-17-2011, 10:28 PM
Thank you Chris and Rainy. I've been doing more brief studies of undulating fabric. It's always at night and unfinished. Good results though.

Today was a sick day. A cup of ginger tea fixed that. I'm wiped out though. Lemme see if I like my drawings.

BRB

Diana

dianapotts
01-17-2011, 10:46 PM
A doll dress skirt study WIP. I hope it shows OK. I feel that if I go in an work on contrast and everything in my photo software then that will be cheating. You won't be able to tell if it is a good drawing or not.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2011/182469-doll_dress_skirt_WIP.jpg

8" x 11" page in a 8" x 11" black hard bound sketchbook.

dianapotts
01-17-2011, 10:48 PM
I had to post something. The doll is positioned differently now for another setup so I am not sure if I can continue the previous post's drawing.

Diana

poochemio
01-18-2011, 12:05 AM
Diana, whatever you sketch in your sketchbook is postable! It's a sketchbook thread. I'm totally enthralled, please don't stop posting!

DrDebby
01-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Diana, have you ever seen some of the sketchbooks from the "old masters"? They frequently have partial drawings of things. They were working something out, or they were distracted and didn't get back to it. They even had images overlapping each other that were totally unrelated. Not finishing is ok. This was a partial sketch. I can see you were really working on the folds and drape of the fabric. It's a great sketch. (That's why they are called sketches and not finished drawings. :lol:)

Joan T
01-19-2011, 11:24 AM
You do fabric shading so well. It is hard to see things drawn in pencil some times and then when you try to improve them in a photo program they come out looking worse. lol

seejay
01-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Looking forward to the progress on the doll's dress.

If you ever get tired of drawing small items of drapery I can recommend hanging up a bed sheet (pin it to a wall or hang it over a chair etc) - the folds may be easier to see. Drapery folds are a major area of study all in itself, different types etc.

RainySea
01-19-2011, 11:10 PM
interest textures on that dress coming out

dianapotts
01-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Thank you everybody. You're words are so encouraging. I was thinking to myself, "Now why would they want to see that?"

You are all so helpful.

Diana

poochemio
01-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Well Diana, those of us who paint from life sooner or later have to do folds and fabrics, some may be hesitant. I practice folds on the blanket my dog sleeps under, tho I'd probably do better if I used a drapey dress or a piece draped over some shape. So yes I'm enjoying seeing how another artist depicts folds and drapes, it may help me when I do my own drapery study, I'm glad you decided to share it.

dianapotts
01-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks Margo,

Folds and fabrics just fascinate me. I'm glad my drawing is helping you to see how another artist would approach it.

Diana

dianapotts
01-29-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm sorry there is so much time between drawings.

Do you remember the Avon perfume bottles that were figurines? Well, this is one of them done up in graphite in my sketchbook.

Enjoy.

dianapotts
01-29-2011, 11:48 PM
Well?

We'll try again.

dianapotts
01-29-2011, 11:54 PM
I give up.

You can look at it on my blog:

http://dianapottsart.com

I thought I knew how to post images here. I guess I have forgotten how to do it.

Sorry.

Diana

poochemio
01-30-2011, 12:31 AM
Not that I've tried it, but everyone has been having problems with the uploader lately, it's not just you Diana.

poochemio
01-30-2011, 12:51 AM
I went to look at it, looks kinds of familiar, one of my grandmothers had a huge collection of the avon bottles. I managed to see some of your samurai doll sketches, are there any other? Very amazing! If you have more here or somewhere else I'd love to look at them.

DrDebby
01-30-2011, 01:13 AM
It's not you, Wet Canvas has been having intermittent problems with both the attachment and the uploader. This is known and it supposedly being worked on. Thanks for the link so we could see the great sketch you did.

vhere
01-30-2011, 12:26 PM
You do fabric shading so well. It is hard to see things drawn in pencil some times and then when you try to improve them in a photo program they come out looking worse. lol

I find that if the drawing doesn't show up well then do this -

take it into Photoshop
duplicate the layer
use multiply in layer options
change the % until it's close to the original
flatten the layers
save

and it shows up much better

hope that helps anyone who has problems

and it's looking good :)

dianapotts
01-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Wow, Vivien that's a mouthful! I have seen the layer feature but haven't explored how to use it.

This latest drawing was more involved and covered more surface area of the paper which probably is the reason why it came out better. I didn't adjust it at all. It's a little light but looks very close to the quality of the original. So, I left it alone.

Thank you everybody for looking and commenting. I'm on to something here and will continue to develop it.

Diana

dianapotts
02-07-2011, 01:56 AM
I changed the title of my thread because I don't post enough here for monthly challenges.

Here is a sketch using a figurine of a boy as a model.

It's in graphite.

Enjoy.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2011/182469-Andy_preliminary_sketch.jpg

Diana

Joan T
02-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Diana - Nice job on the figurine. I'm glad to hear you'll continue the journal from month to month anyway.

dianapotts
02-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Yeah, but I wish there was some way to get "January" out of there.

Diana

DrDebby
02-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Good sketch. Your drapery work is really awesome.

To get "January" out of the title, PM a message to EP, our moderator. Tho' it really doesn't matter to us. We'll keep looking, if you keep posting.

poochemio
02-07-2011, 11:42 PM
I'm with Debby, I'm subscribed so as long as you post I see it. Cool figurine drawing.

dianapotts
02-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Thank you everybody. Your words get me through times of doubt.

seejay
02-11-2011, 04:44 AM
Nice sketch of the figurine.

From your notes on the paper it seems you are doing more with this?

cheers

dianapotts
02-11-2011, 09:50 AM
Hi Chris,

Good to see you back. Thanks. Yes, I am. It's a character in a story I am making up in art. Will talk more about it later.

Diana

dianapotts
02-11-2011, 08:02 PM
OMG!

Stage fright!

poochemio
02-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Diana what is giving you stage fright?

DrDebby
02-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Heavens! What's the matter? We aren't scary. I haven't bitten anyone in days. :lol:

dianapotts
02-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Wet Canvas is so huge. I am suddenly aware that many people come and look and don't post.

I know a lot of people throughout my life both on and off line. The member list is way too big to go through. I have no idea who is looking and it is very possible people I feel shy around may see my work.

It's a scarey thing to think about.

That's all.

Diana

dianapotts
02-11-2011, 10:47 PM
I'll do more drawing though. It's just an opportunity to become more confident in front of people.

I thought all of you are strangers.

Diana

JTMB
02-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Hi Diana,

I have been busy and haven't stopped by for some time. I missed some very nice work here. Fabric is tough, and you've done a great job with it! The figurine is nice as well. You know, in high school I would have won 'most shy' if there had been such an award - painfully so. No one would know now - playing music in bands helped me a lot, but it took some time. I didn't do art until 3 years ago because a high school teacher (MANY years ago) told me I had no art talent. So three years ago when I had an itch to try drawing, I came very close to not doing so because of being self conscious. Boy am I glad I dove in and just did it. You will be also. :thumbsup:

Jakesgram
02-12-2011, 12:43 AM
Hi Diana!

Well, so many things to look at and think about and comment on. As I don't get here very often, due to all the crazy, busy-ness going on in my life, I haven't seen your thread before.

First off, I think the work you are doing in your sketchbook is great! I agree with others who said that the sketchbook is just the place to work things out, try new things, leave it half-finished if you have gotten what you needed out of it. All of us who do sketchbooks know what that's about. If you're an artist, you know that art is a process, not an immediate piece of finished work!

That said, I admire you for even trying to draw eagles from memory. I'm working hard on switching from drawing from photos to drawing from life right now. The next step of drawing from memory seems very intimidating to me. Your fabric fold and figurine studies are wonderful!!!

You're doing a great job and this is the best place in the world to step out and develop your confidence. I have finally reach an age advanced enough to realize that what other people think of me is of very little consequence. I'm here to learn and to encourage others and to be encouraged and I can take or leave others' comments according to whether or not they are helpful to me. And a lot of the ability to let things just flow over and around me has been developed by daring to put things out there in the world and see what comes back. It's been a great experience here on W/C to find that most people are very kind and encouraging and only want to help you realize your own goals.

Keep on sketching Diana!

DrDebby
02-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Diana, this is actually a safe way to show your work. Most people here, are here because they love art in whatever form they are doing it. The people who stop by and look at your work, and don't comment, are even shyer than you are.

We are not going to tell you rotten things about your art. We applaud you posting your work so we can see it. If you want a critique, you have to ask for it. Otherwise, we will just tell you what we like. Even if you do ask for a critique, I've found people here at WC are very knowledgeable and helpful and they can really help you improve. There are working artists scattered throughout WC who are more than willing to help if you have a question or want feedback.

It's really kind of awesome when you think about it. Artists from all around the globe stop by here to show their work and chat about art. I've made online friends through WC from all over the US and in other countries. Yes, this is a big place, that's why there are all those little sub-forums. I only hang out in a couple of places based on my interests. There are people who also visit those forums. But, there are also people who just stick to one of the sub-forums and never venture any further. It's ok. That's what this place is about, finding other folks who have the same interests as you and sharing.

dianapotts
02-12-2011, 10:54 PM
I love the global aspect.

I'm working on a drawing today but it isn't in a sketchbook and is part of the Scavenger Hunt one. The one I am working on now hopefully will be on eBay tomorrow morning.

Diana

poochemio
02-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Diana, I could go on and on but I think today I will say I echo Debby. I understand shy. Being online and chatting is a very nice way to overcome it, at least it has been for me. Keep on drawing you never know where this path may take you, it will be an interesting ride tho!:D