PDA

View Full Version : Daily Scumble 01.21.03

KarenU
01-21-2003, 06:53 PM
Hi everyone...holy smokes...it's been the week from hell so far. I picked up a small contract (not art related unfortunately) that turned into a MUCH bigger deal. So..I've been slaving away writing code. Hopefully I'll be back with you all soon. I had to miss both my pastel and life drawing class this week :( due to the crunch to get this stuff done. Hopefully I'll make it to the rest of this week's classes. I have been lurking and keeping up with threads and checking PM's, just haven't had much time to post. See you all soon! :D

Dark_Shades
01-21-2003, 07:13 PM
It has been (again) noted you were AWOL ....:D.... hope to see you back soon and commenting....... and showing your works too.... is there anything you are working on at the mo?

shame about the classes..... enjoyed looking at what you were getting up to

glad the work is coming in for you

Mo.
01-21-2003, 07:20 PM
Good luck on your contract, what a shame about you life classes though, we've missed your posts.:)

Mikki Petersen
01-21-2003, 11:19 PM
Wondered where you were. Glad to hear you are working and not ill.

Roni Anderson
01-22-2003, 01:25 AM
Hi folks. I've been really trying to get into some project or thread that will help me in branching out from watercolors to pastels. Have got the goodies but can't seem to get over the difficult jump from one media to the other - blending, method, etc are all so different. At least not to my satisfaction. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Mikki Petersen
01-22-2003, 02:05 AM
Were your first few watercolor attempts easy? It is never a comfortable thing to switch mediums. They each have their own peculiarities and tricks to learn. I guess the best way is just to use the pastels, experiment, do not expect masterpieces at first, and post everything you are doing so other pastellists can give you advise along the way.

An excellent book on painting with pastels is Creative Painting with Pastels by Carol Katchen, paperback, North Light Books, 1997.

Another one I have found helpful is All About Techniques in Pastel by Barron's (no publisher info available). Found it rummaging through the stacks at Border's.

Good luck and hope to see some experiments posted soon.

Slowdown
01-22-2003, 02:07 AM
Congrats on contract Karen!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap: :clap:
The down side of having work is the fact that it can take up alot of your time, like a double edged sword, you need to work but it can take away what you love most about life.............I know how you feel Karen.
I was enjoying seeing you progress through the class too, oh well, guess you will be back to it soon. JUst dont let work bogg you down too much............I have and it aint a pretty sight...........................sigh..............................

Dark_Shades
01-22-2003, 03:28 PM
what sort of subjects do you like to paint Roni?

Mo.
01-22-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Roni Anderson
Hi folks. I've been really trying to get into some project or thread that will help me in branching out from watercolors to pastels. Have got the goodies but can't seem to get over the difficult jump from one media to the other - blending, method, etc are all so different. At least not to my satisfaction. Any suggestions? Thanks!

What goodies do have Roni? Whatever they are experiment and play around like you did with watercolours when you first started, don't be afraid to post some work in the forum, you will find lots of friendly folks who will be only to pleased to help. :)

Mo.

sundiver
01-22-2003, 10:07 PM
Do one (or a bunch) of the projects. There's a pile of them ongoing now. Pick one and just go for it. All you have to lose is a piece of paper. Even if you don't like the results, someone will give you advice, and you'll be motivated to do more, and so on.
What's January like over there? Show us in the January project! :D

Roni Anderson
01-23-2003, 02:28 AM
Thanks Sundiver, I signed up for the Jan project and will begin something today. Even if it is a sketch. Thats my commitment to myself for today :D

January here has been really pleasant...a very mild winter so far. February and Nov. usually are colder and rainy but not terribly cold, mostly in the 40s. This January so far tho I have been able to go out mostly with a lightweight jacket or sweater. We'll see what happens in Feb!

Mo: the goodies I have are a great set of Rambrant soft pastels and a small set of pastel pencils and lots of great grey pastel paper [with which to practice, practice, practice].

I get frustrated because with watercolor the process is so different and I am so much more familiar with it. I often find myself slipping into trying to mix and blend colors like I know with watercolors. The biggest block I have tho is JUST DOING IT...so I am off now to GO DO IT. I'll try to post the sketch later today or tomorrow.

Thanks guys for welcoming me and making me feel exceited about the journey!:clap:

sunny
01-23-2003, 08:05 AM
Hi Karen...we were missing you...good luck with your work...:)

Roni Anderson
01-24-2003, 02:53 AM
I've been trying to upload this sketch and this is the 3rd [and last attempt!]...seems I need to learn a whole lote more about this software and downsizing my pix before I try to upload them onto the thread! Practice, practice, practice :rolleyes:

Here's yesterday's amatur sketch...I realize the cart is at an angle and the horse is straight...that would have to be changed if I decide to paint it [doubt I will tho, at least in patels :evil: ] This ol' guy and his wife live in Capadoccia, a wonderfully historical and beautiful landscape area in central Turkey. It's called the land of fairy chimnies because of the natural erosion which occurs in the limestone & sandstone.

These pastels are such a different breed of animal....it's going to take a WHOLE LOT more practice before I feel even a little comfortable with them. Right now I want to put them back in the drawer and pull out the watercolor , but I won't. How else will I grow???

I really appreciate all input and encouragment and commit to sketching in pastels every day for the rest of this month...[maybe by then I'll have something decent to post in the Jan project :rolleyes: ]

Roni Anderson
01-24-2003, 03:01 AM
well here's the fifth try :evil: :evil: