PDA

View Full Version : Sketchwall 2011

robertsloan2
01-02-2011, 03:10 PM
This thread is for all the sketches I do on fancy art papers like my Aquabee Bogus Rough pad, Canson mi-Tientes, Pastelmat, Colourfix and other surfaces that aren't bound together into a sketchbook. It's sort of my Journal Unbound. Most of them wind up taped onto my closet door for a while or pinned onto the cork board depending on size.

So here's my first sketch of 2011:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2011/70184-A-Young-Tiger-WDE-Jan-2-2011.jpg
A Young Tiger
6" square
Cretacolor pastel pencils
Aquabee Bogus Rough brown paper
Photo reference by just_chaos for December 31st-January 2nd 2011 Weekend Drawing Event. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831812)

I'd actually bind these things but they'll probably work better stored in the archival storage box or in the pages of the Profolio binder I got from Dick Blick last year. Sometimes colored papers don't come in an easy spiral bound binding that I can keep them together and dated in.

mhimeswc
01-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Oh, excellent tiger, Robert!

Vivien Maloney
01-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Robert, that's a beautiful tiger!!!!! Lovely start to your Journal..

DrDebby
01-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Splendid tiger. Binders of one sort or another work to capture loose sketches.

CandAlArt
01-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Really excellent Robert! The Bogus looks good online too. I am doing a similar plan for Jan.- using various new colored papers in a binder collection. I look forward to seeing your choices & color combinations!

RainySea
01-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Gorgeous tiger, Robert! Love it.

robertsloan2
01-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Thank you! That's a good idea - I should get a new binder for my 2011 sketch wall sketches - and take down all my 2010 ones when it arrives to make room for these new ones.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2011/70184-After-the-Ice-Storm-Mary-had-a-bad-hair-day.jpg
After the Ice Storm, Mary had a Bad Hair Day.
6" square
Derwent pastels on Aquabee Bogus Rough Sketch paper.
Photo reference by just_chaos for Dec. 31 - Jan. 2 Weekend Drawing Event. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831812)

vhere
01-03-2011, 10:56 AM
If you work to a standard size you could join them into a concertina book with paper hinges on the back - it's how we did a travelling sketchbook (http://flyingpictures.wordpress.com/) project I took part in some time ago.

A great idea that allows for lots of experimentation :)

eyepaint
01-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Oh I love the support you have here!!!

mhimeswc
01-03-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm liking these a lot, Robert, and I really like the looks of that paper. If I ever get back to pastels, I will have to get some of that.

robertsloan2
01-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Thank you, Vivien. That's a good idea but I'm not working to a standard size - they'll be any size up to 9" x 12" which is why I think a Profolio is my best choice for what to house them all. I can get one that's 9" x 12" this year instead of the 11" x 17" one I used last year. I never went that big on anything I put in it, so getting that huge one wasn't a great idea.

EP and Michelle, thank you! The paper isn't that expensive. Blick has the Aquabee Bogus Rough Sketch paper pads, it's 50 sheets of 70lb paper a lot like kraft paper. Wonderful rough surface, so toothy it does great for pastels, Conte, charcoal, but not so big-grained that I couldn't do ink sketching on it with a little gouache accents. According to Sandra (gakinme) it doesn't stand up well to wet mediums though. I might have to be careful with the gouache accents or just do ink and white Conte for that.

Today I used a full sheet and marked off 8 x 10" on it. I like leaving some margins to go under the mat if I decide to mat and hang any of these.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2011/70184-Fatalis-Sketch-Jan-3-2011.jpg
Musky, a young male Smilodon fatalis.
10" x 8"
Cretacolor Pastels Carre on Aquabee Bogus Rough Sketch paper.
After several sketches by Mauricio Anton in The Big Cats and their Fossil Relatives along with some speculation of my own on markings and his short mane. Not a copy of one of Anton's sketches, though his skull sketches gave me good proportions. I trust they're accurate because he's a professional.

I hung him across the room on the closet doors, that's my current Sketch Wall. One of my tests for these sketches on brown paper is whether they show up at a distance, which takes adding some strong values instead of just using different mid value hues on them. Worked out great. His teeth really shine. Love this cat.

DrDebby
01-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Lovely horse. Quite a look you caught on the face.

The sabertooth is awesome. The long teeth really stand out as a focus.

poochemio
01-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Excellent Robert, all 3 of them. Looks like you are working on your novel illustrations with the Smilodon. Good idea with the loose sheets and putting them up where you can look at them.

Davkin
01-03-2011, 09:23 PM
You're doing a heck of a job on these Robert, that first tiger is especially outstanding.

David

dianapotts
01-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Happy New Year Robert,

Your practise on Ari from life is showing up in very alive expressions in your wild cats Rob. Lots of life is expressed. Is this an extension of the life you feel inside?

Diana

Vivien Maloney
01-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Love the horse but oh that Sabre Tooth! Wow, he looks so real!!! Well done Robert.

seejay
01-04-2011, 05:49 AM
That last cat has a bit of an overbite.:D Great drawings Robert.

It's good to hang pics where you can see them. I think I need to do some more on loose sheets, the ones I have hanging are getting a bit old now.

Cheers

robertsloan2
01-04-2011, 09:07 PM
LOL Chris, yeah, he does have a bit of an overbite!

Diana, thank you! My sabertooth along with all my cat drawings is an expression of my overwhelming love for cats and the reverence I feel for all life. Also the wonder I feel at evolution and history of life on Earth. Stabbing cats like Smilodon evolved no less than four times.

My cat, if he wasn't neutered, could evolve into a stabbing cat. He almost did, he's got extra large teeth for a biting cat. He also takes the category definition of Biting Cat seriously on anything and anyone that comes near his mouth. The way you can tell if he loves you is whether or not he breaks the skin. When he bites me he always stops afterward and washes the spot he bit so that I know he didn't mean it.

Poochemio, yes, I'm working toward doing my novel's illustrations! Eventually between doing landscapes and drawing cats I'll manage to put the cats into the landscape and show LA before anyone invented movies or Hollywood or guns. It'll be great.

Purr thanks, David, Debby and Vivien!

I'm still pounding that Aquabee sketch pad. It's almost like that's becoming my New Sketchbook for this month except that I'm tearing out all the pages and cutting some of them in half. I love it. Maybe that's what I should do - focus on pastels sketching this month.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2011/70184-Crashing-Wave-Jan-4-2011-Photo.jpg
Crashing Wave
8" x 10"
Derwent hard pastels on Aquabee Bogus Recycled Rough Sketch paper
Photo reference by lani_noa for January 2011 Pastel Spotlight challenge. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835112)

poochemio
01-04-2011, 09:14 PM
Great wave Robert! Okay maybe I'll get my conte's and pastels out this week instead of next. Yours look so good.

DrDebby
01-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Great translucency you got in the wave. Didn't know pastels could do that.

robertsloan2
01-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Thank you both! Margo, I hope you do try your Conte's and pastels. They're a lot of fun. Debby, you'd be surprised at how much translucence you can get with pastels. I did a lot of scumbling in this painting, gently washing over the same areas lightly with similar values in different colors.

Here's another one for the Pastel Spotlight!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2011/70184-A-Vintage-Girl.jpg
A Vintage Girl
5" x 7"
Color Conte on Aquabee Bogus Rough Recycled Sketch paper.
Photo reference by Wassie for January 2011 Pastel Spotlight challenge. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835112)

virgo68
01-05-2011, 06:35 AM
Ooh! I like the colours in the wave and the vintage girl is beautiful - very art nouveau with the colours and the styling of her dress - great stuff ;)

mhimeswc
01-05-2011, 10:12 AM
The wave is beautiful, and so is the portrait of the girl. Keep going with those pastels. YOu are getting some great results.

vhere
01-05-2011, 11:16 AM
the sea in Cornwall is often just those lovely colours :)

My little tiger was feral and definitely uses her teeth! Like you - she doesn't break the skin if she nips me but will with others if she feels threatened - or gets overexcited when playing. She also has VERY long claws!

Davkin
01-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Great work with the pastels Robert. I've played with pastels a bit myself and find them to be a pretty tricky, (and messy!) medium but you're handling them quite well.

David

robertsloan2
01-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Virgo, thank you! That's what drew me to the photo - she looked very art nouveau. I always liked art nouveau.

Back when I lived in Chicago, I went to the Lyric Opera and some other high end theatres and entertainments. One place, which might have been the Lyric, had stage panels or murals that were art nouveau. They were huge and the figures were at once stylized yet realistic, romantic and yet recognizable and accurate. I loved it. That painting had strong outlines like Mucha's pen drawings but everything within them was shaded and painted as if it didn't need them, the outlines were clearly there for decoration. They were also a soft medium brown rather than black, so they didn't jump out like ink drawing. I fell in love with that one. I wanted to do something like it for a long time, get that feeling. This girl comes close even though that backdrop or scenery or whatever it was had the outlines and this doesn't.

Michelle, thank you! After taking Johannes's landscape class, something caught fire in my heart. I'm loving my pastels more than ever. This month is pastels time, I'll probably do all but one of the Spotlight references at least once and do some series. The wave is definitely a series, there are other versions of it I want to do.

Vivien, you make me want to go to Cornwall! I'd love to see the sea in those brilliant colours. I've seen the Pacific when I lived in San Francisco and the Atlantic when I lived in New York State and visited Connecticut. But I've never been to the UK or the Mediterranean. Someday I'd love to travel to all these beautiful places and paint them. The slow way, by cruise, so that I can relax and paint the ocean all the way to the other beautiful parts of the world on the way to them instead of all the pain I get from cabin pressurization in airplanes.

Your little tiger sounds adorable. I don't mind Ari's love bites. He really does mean them as loving. He gets overexcited when playing and is more likely to get me with a claw - he's got huge claws too and he'll get rowdy sometimes. Or run over me, lose his balance and hang by a claw or get stuck and rip himself loose. It's all part of life with a cat. I'll take the scratches and snuggle him every night.

Another Pastel Spotlight entry.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2011/70184-Evening-time.jpg
Evening Time To Get Away
9" x 6"
Richeson Medium-Hard Pastels
Aquabee Bogus Recycled Rough Sketch Paper
Photo reference by Paula Ford for Pastel Spotlight January 2011. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835112)

There are seven landscapes counting the wave as one in this month's Spotlight and I love them all. I'll do each of them at least once and several as series exploring different ways of doing them. I did the wave as serene but I want to do another one that maximizes drama and evokes a different emotion.

DrDebby
01-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Lovely lady.

I like how you did the doorway on the building. The light coming from the interior inviting one in.

poochemio
01-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Lovely Robert! I'm getting inspired to get my pastels out, might work better on the Pentalic than ink, a bit too much texture for a fine line. I was expecting a shipment of spectrafix from Blick today, it didn't arrive:( Oh well! I guess I could go the old school way and use hairspray on one or two, it is my sketchbook, not gallery bound! I'm eager to see the wave series, I can see you doing a very lovely version of a Hokusai wave. His waves rock my boat so hard it almost capsizes!!!:D

robertsloan2
01-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Debby, thank you! That wasn't in the reference, it's something I added to make the scene more lively.

Margo, thank you! I'm glad I'm inspiring you to get your pastels out. I think they'd probably go well on the Pentalic paper. It's got plenty of texture to hold a few layers, also it's heavy enough that if you don't go all the way to the edges you can use a sanded gesso like Colourfix Primer or Golden Pumice Gel to give it a sanded surface.

I used hairspray to fix pastels back in the day when I lived in New Orleans. I didn't know any better until an art store chap explained to me why workable fixative is better. It's not as lasting. One thing you can do is take a piece of kitchen wax paper and slip that between the pages until your Blick package arrives.

With the Spectrafix, take your time. Give it a light spray and let that dry completely. Then repeat. It takes me up to an hour sometimes to use Spectrafix but it smells nice, isn't toxic to me or my cat or the environment and doesn't change the colors as much. But if you put too much on all at once it'll puddle and give a caked-on look that's not as good.

I love Hokusai. His waves are a bit more stylized but I've tried to copy them sometimes in ink and might do so again.

dianapotts
01-06-2011, 09:37 PM
The barn is jaw dropping.

Robert you are a great artist!

Diana

CandAlArt
01-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Hi Robert, I am enjoying your pastels. Love the way the foreground grasses look! The girl's skintones are quite nice, too. I find it difficult to draw portraits so small in pastels unless I stick to my pencils (I use hard pastels). The sticks all make such a wide mark. Any secrets to share? Other than patience (which I promote but do not always have)?

Carole A
01-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Robert~
I'm loving your pastels. I don't really know if it's my computer screen or the textures of your media and paper, but I do love the texture.

Great job and inspiring!

Carole A

RainySea
01-07-2011, 01:19 AM
love the house in the night . . . I really like nightime drawings. I did a few last year but not in a long time. I have to try to do some again.

seejay
01-07-2011, 06:44 AM
Great pastel drawings, Robert.

BTW, the sketchbook sounds and looks interesting, but going on its name (bogus), is it really recycled???:D

vhere
01-07-2011, 09:39 AM
that one is really lovely

mmm ... I'm going to need some pastels in a while for an exhibition, another thing to add to the to-do list

Joan T
01-07-2011, 12:19 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: I'm just lovin' your pastels! The wave is so impressive...both the color and the translucency to it. Awesome portrait of the vintage girl...perfect colors. But that cabin is wonderful...super lighting. Keep going with these!!

robertsloan2
01-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Wow, thank you! Vivien, I can't wait to see what you do in pastels. I love your work in other mediums and pastels can be so gorgeous.

Here's one for today. I think the Bogus paper works better for hard pastels than soft pastels. Once I got up into the softs range, I could not mix colors as freely and I got frustrated that the 36 color box has no violet. How can I do violet-grays by putting ochre over violet when I have to mix the violet in the first place? Let alone in an area that wants some detail and linear marks!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2011/70184-Star-Gate-Open-Photo.jpg
Star Gate Open
8" x 10"
Winsor & Newton soft pastels
Photo reference by Paula Ford

Diddley
01-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Great job on these... I especially like the horse. They all look so soft & alive. Thanks for sharing!

DrDebby
01-07-2011, 04:21 PM
This one is cool too. The fence is charming with the star tucked in it.

robertsloan2
01-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Candace, secrets to share besides patience in pastel portraits... try pastel pencils if you're working very small. But also work broad to delicate rather than doing the whole face in great detail. Block in the general shapes of light and shadow with the sides of sticks and then start modifying it, shading it, adding details especially to the eyes and mouth. Keep it loose when it comes to hair. Block in the hair as just masses of light and dark so it's a three dimensional shape. You can see how I did that on the Vintage Girl.

Also measure the proportions of the face against each other, the width to length proportion, the height from the top of the head to the eye line, the width of the eye. That helps a lot in accurate portraiture.

Patience, if you're impatient do a whole lot of quick loose sketches with one dark stick and one light stick on mid-toned paper till you're really used to the subject. I don't have much patience either which is why I'm doing so many pastels and so few colored pencils sketches!

Diddley, thank you! Debby, thanks! I hated that scene with my nose six inches from it but once I put it on the wall I liked it.

Artlike
01-08-2011, 12:31 AM
Robert these are really good. Will be interesting to watch.

Jakesgram
01-08-2011, 02:50 AM
Robert, your pastel work is just beautiful! I love the vibrant colors and the beautiful soft blending. I especially like the first 3 on the goldish / brown backgrounds. The colors just jump off the page! Very nice - I'll be looking for more.

mhimeswc
01-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Robert, that barn scene is wonderful - I especially like the beautiful, soft foreground. And the colors are super!

JTMB
01-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Great sketches as usual, Robert! Hard to pick favorites, but the seascape and portrait are up there. And the sabretooth, and the tiger, and...

Looking forward to the rest of the month.

robertsloan2
01-09-2011, 11:30 PM
Thank you! I opened up a new thread for a bound sketchbook I'm using - but I still have the Canson pad and Bogus pads handy for more pastels sketching!

robertsloan2
01-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Here we go! Back to the Bogus paper with yet a different form of pastels! Need to try it with pastel pencils too, might do that later today or tomorrow. Still really enjoying the Pastel Spotlight photos posted by Paula Ford. She has some incredible landscapes. I've now done all six of hers so you'll start seeing a few repeats or maybe some from my own photos or the RIL or the Landscape forum January Challenge.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2011/70184-Autumn-Blaze-Jan-2010-Pastel-Spotlight-Pans.jpg
Autumn Blaze
8" x 10"
Pan Pastels
Photo reference by Paula Ford

Colors used: just the 10 Painters set colors. I meant to try out a painting entirely using that set to see if it was worthwhile picking up an extra set for plein air. Wow. That worked out really well, even on the Bogus paper. I had enough tooth to complete the painting though just barely. The mid-brown color made it easy for me to estimate values well on it.

RainySea
01-12-2011, 04:41 PM
that is ablaze for sure. . . such vibrant color, Robert! Amazing what the pans can do even on the bogus paper. Like the colors in the trees and grasses both

poochemio
01-12-2011, 05:20 PM
The colors on this one just invite a person to step right on in!

DrDebby
01-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Wow, this is great.

robertsloan2
01-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Thank you! I love how the Pans handle. Bogus paper seems to be a little better than Canson MT for pastels, it holds about one more layer.

vhere
01-13-2011, 08:16 PM
there is something so luscious about pastel

but oh the nightmare of framing them! pastel dust - however many times I tap it and try to make sure there isn't any .... put the frame together and there it is on the inside of the glass - another speck - or even worse on the mat!

PlaysWithPencils
01-13-2011, 08:37 PM
These are lovely and your use of color I love, so rich.
Even with the soft crashing waves, my fav!
I live by the beach so its dear to me.
ty

Your landscape work is a real hit and where your strength seems to be.
:clap:

robertsloan2
01-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Thank you! Today was sunny and bright - weather report said Partly Cloudy but that was only for about half an hour this afternoon, most of the day was sunny. So I got in an oil pastels seascape finished that I started yesterday and then did a small pastel one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2011/70184-1-2011-OP-Challenge-Seascape.jpg
Rocky Shore - Jan. OP Challenge
8" x 10"
Caran d'Ache Neopastels
Photo reference by oldrockchick

Then once that was done I halved one of the sheets for this one:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2011/70184-Creek-in-Winter-WDE-Jan-14-2011.jpg
Creek in Winter
5" x 7"
Color Conte hard pastels
Aquabee Bogus Recyled Rough Sketch Paper
Photo reference by helen

This has been a good day. Yesterday's art was just starting the OP challenge one.

poochemio
01-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Just luscious Robert, love that op!

Joan T
01-15-2011, 12:18 PM
I love the soft look and wonderful colors of your pastel work!!! These are so different from the sketches we usually see from you, which I also love!

JTMB
01-15-2011, 01:25 PM
These are both great pieces, Robert! You continue to be amazing in your use of multiple media in your work.

dianapotts
01-15-2011, 04:58 PM
I like your water pictures. Very light and refreshing.

Diana

RainySea
01-15-2011, 07:36 PM
Beautiful. . . but that snow scene is my favorite. . . I really love it

DrDebby
01-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Masterfully done. The snow is delightful.

robertsloan2
01-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Thank you! I'm having so much fun on my pastels and OP spree! Definitely going to continue with this, but may do some other sketches in pen or charcoal too.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2011/70184-Cresting-Wave-Photo.jpg
Cresting Wave
6" x 12" (less 1/4" matting borders)
Derwent pastels
Photo reference by lani_noa from RIL posted in January Pastel Spotlight. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=835112)

Second go with this reference, also decided to try a panoramic format. That's unusual for me, though I always liked it when others did it.

DrDebby
01-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Gorgeous. Makes me want to sit at a beach and watch the waves roll in.

vhere
01-17-2011, 12:00 PM
I like that format and the soft misty colour

I like long thin upright paintings too

poochemio
01-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Love those waves!

robertsloan2
01-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Thank you! I will definitely be doing even more seascapes - today's sketch is an animal for a change. Maybe I'll even get to where I'm putting the animals in the landscapes, that'll be so cool!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2011/70184-Bobcat-in-Tree.jpg
Bobcat In A Tree
5" x 7"
Faber-Castell Polychromos hard pastels
Photo reference used with permission by Glen Starek

DrDebby
01-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Great cat sketch. Squinting at it, it could be a cat person from a fantasy novel.

RainySea
01-23-2011, 10:04 PM
already commented on these in other threads, but I say again Robert that you are so good at depicting felines in any medium you choose!

eyepaint
01-24-2011, 11:58 AM
I love that tree in post 46!!!!

mhimeswc
01-24-2011, 01:22 PM
I love that ocean wave crashing on the rocks. Reminds me of Maine.

JTMB
01-25-2011, 02:31 AM
Wonderful job on the bobcat, Robert! I've been fortunate to see a couple of them in the wild while doing bird survey work in the City of Seattle watershed. Beautiful animals, they are.

robertsloan2
01-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Thank you! I'm building up to do a serious bobcat portrait of Skip the recovering bobcat at Big Cat Rescue, to be auctioned as a benefit for Big Cat Rescue. While I love all cats, I've gotten involved in watching Skip online at Big Cat Hospital on Ustream. (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/bigcathospital)

Skip has his dinner at about 4PM Central time if you want to watch him eat. His rear end is shaved from his hip surgery but the fur is starting to grow in, he still looks like he's wearing his jacket and no pants though. I might try some life gestures sometime too instead of relying entirely on screen captures and photos by Big Cat Rescue visitors and staff.

Kema
01-25-2011, 06:30 PM
I've been lurking for a little while, but I have to jump in and say I love your seascapes. I want to work on water next summer.

robertsloan2
04-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Kema, thank you! I love doing seascapes. They're one of my favorite subjects - the first time it snaps and looks like water is one of the most triumphant moments. Getting the waves to look real is one of those challenges like eyes, once you get it the joy is always there.

I've got a couple more to add now at last. Today, no less, both of them. One's the April Oil Pastels Challenge, the other a preliminary sketch for a cat commission in progress.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2011/70184-4-6-2011-April-OP-Challenge-1-The-Sun-King-ref-by-WSV.jpg
The Sun King
5" x 7"
Mungyo Gallery Artists' Extra Soft Oil Pastels
Bogus brown sketch paper
Photo reference by WSV from Reference Image Library, for April 2011 OP Challenge.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2011/70184-4-6-2011-Cat-Commission-4-Oliver-Sketch-Inktense-Blocks.jpg
Oliver in Lisa's Lap
Preliminary sketch for cat commission #4 "Oliver"
6" x 9"
Derwent Inktense Blocks (dry)
Aquabee Bogus Recycled Rough Sketch Paper.

RainySea
04-06-2011, 05:11 PM
big cat, little cat! :)
Both are beautiful. . .that lion fairly glows in the sun, just stunning. And Oliver's expression is beautiful.

DrDebby
04-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Gorgeous kitties, both large and small.

mhimeswc
04-06-2011, 09:49 PM
I'm glad this thread made it to the top again, Robert. I love how the pastel looks on the brown bogus pad. Love the lion and kitten.

robertsloan2
04-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Purr thank you! Oliver is the fourth of my Cat Commissions, so when he's done I'll be doing many more sketches on the brown Bogus pad. Especially since I found out how much the Inktense sticks like it.

eyepaint
04-07-2011, 02:01 AM
Browsing through this thread and, again, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the tree in post 46.

Joan T
04-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Your pastel work on these cats is great!!! I've enjoyed seeing them since I missed them before.

robertsloan2
04-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Thank you both! I'm really enjoying this paper. The tree on Post #46 was also the painting that sold, so you're not the only one who loved it!

vhere
04-10-2011, 11:59 AM
in that last cat you've just really caught the almond-eyed-happy look :)

robertsloan2
04-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Thank you! He is an extremely happy cat, a serious lap addict who loves treats and loves his mommy Lisa even more than his treats.

JTMB
04-15-2011, 01:01 AM
Great lion and kitten, Robert! Any size cat, and any medium works wonders with you.

Afriqueen
04-16-2011, 05:10 AM
Really enjoying your sketch book Robert - especially love your puddy tats and the lovely autumn scene. Do keep sharing - it's a joy to check in here.

robertsloan2
04-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Thank you both!

Here's today's sketch, a preliminary drawing for my benefit painting of Skip the Bobcat. The painting will be raffled to support Big Cat Rescue in Tampa, Florida, where Skip now lives in an enormous enclosure with plenty of grass, trees, interesting things to play on and around, sturdy concrete dens and soft plushy cat beds inside one donated by his Facebook friends, the Skipaholics.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2011/70184-4-30-2011-Skip-Sketch-Carb-Othello.jpg
Skip the Bobcat
8" x 10"
Carb-Othello pastel pencils on Aquabee Bogus Recycled rough sketch paper.
Photo reference by Lisa Polo.

mhimeswc
04-30-2011, 11:03 PM
Super job on Skip. I like the way the darker browns and greens and the white accents pop on the bogus paper.

DrDebby
04-30-2011, 11:13 PM
Even a bobcat has that "I'm watching you and I'm not sure what you are up to" look. Great job.

JTMB
04-30-2011, 11:13 PM
Great bobcat, Robert!

RainySea
04-30-2011, 11:32 PM
wow, I really like that Robert!! Is that the pose you are going to do the painting for the auction with? I like that. Great eyes and love the way he's holding his ears, very expressive

robertsloan2
05-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Thank you! I'm considering it but I've got another reference that's a closer face portrait where his head's on a slight angle, very endearing. I'll make a final choice when I'm ready to sketch on the board.

I love sketching cats, but here's something a little different on the other loose pad sketchwall paper - a Strathmore Charcoal pad that's 25% hemp. I love these eco-happy green papers, they're just too cool.

I took my 12" square Hemp charcoal sketch paper pad and quartered the first page, then drew the Iris in the upper left quadrant with Carb-Othello pastel pencils. Old friends, they're still as much fun as I remembered and a bit softer than the Cretacolor pastel pencils.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2011/70184-5-02-2011-May-Spotlight-Iris-1.jpg

RainySea
05-02-2011, 06:11 PM
ooh, beautiful flower. Love it.

DrDebby
05-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Lovely iris.

Joan T
05-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Great sketch of Skip and wonderful iris. Quite a contrast in subjects.

robertsloan2
05-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Thank you! It's a nice contrast to work on flowers again along with all the cats. I love drawing cats and will continue to do Skip sketches till the oil painting to benefit BCR is done, but I'm also really enjoying this month's Pastel Spotlight.

The other three sketches on my Spotlight page. Each is 6" square with Carb-Othello pastel pencils on Strathmore Charcoal paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2011/70184-5-04-2011-Pansy-Spotlight-May.jpg
I played with the background a little on the pansy, inspired by all the beautiful soft edged pansy backgrounds I saw so far. I also sketched into the white petals with the white pencil and then accented the contrast with the warm gray paper by smudging a little warm gray one step darker into it and over some background areas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2011/70184-5-04-2011-Lilacs-Spotlight-May.jpg
Went back to a loose sketchy style on the Lilacs rather than get bogged down in the details of florets. I like how it looks with the softer, lighter sprigs in the background. Still honing my sketch techniques, the iris was worked over a lot heavier than I'd originally intended.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2011/70184-5-04-2011-Tulips-Spotlight-May.jpg
Tulips in the lower left complete the page in a pleasing way, a little more layered like the Iris so the page is more unified.

mhimeswc
05-04-2011, 10:21 PM
For a guy who paints rocks, animals and dinosaur bones, you do great flowers. :-)

JamieWG
05-05-2011, 12:55 AM
Nice job with the flowers, Robert!

Jamie

vhere
05-05-2011, 08:09 AM
yes a nice job indeed with these :) especially the glowing delicate pansy with that lovely touch of warmth at the centre that plays so well against the cooler mauves

DrDebby
05-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Beautiful flowers. You are such a versatile artist.

robertsloan2
05-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Thank you! Flowers are a lot of fun for me, I get to use the bright colors. I think I go at painting flowers pretty similar to how I handle rocks, animals and dinosaur bones. Whatever's there I'll try to render it well.

Another sketchwall piece, back to the Aquabee Bogus rough!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-May-2011/70184-5-15-2011-Green-Bridge-Wales-May-OP-Challenge.jpg
Green Bridge, Wales
9" x 12"
Mungyo Artist's Soft Oil Pastels
Aquabee Bogus Recycled Rough paper
Photo reference by oldrockchick for May 2011 Oil Pastel Challenge

This time I deliberately let it fade off to blank paper at the bottom getting looser and looser. I've seen that done well before but hadn't really tried it as part of a composition. Opinions? Did that work?

DrDebby
05-15-2011, 05:24 PM
I didn't even notice that the bottom of the composition had a fade away until you mentioned it. I was so enamored of that layered rock with the hole in it. :)

CandAlArt
05-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Robert, excellent use of the paper color as the dirt path by the grassy edge of the cliff. Very good likeness to the California coast pathways along cliffs (my old home zone). Very pleasing composition too, with the heavy rock structure balance by a broad foreground. *Amazing how much Wales resembles Santa Cruz, California!!

mhimeswc
05-15-2011, 11:38 PM
I think it worked fine. Great colors and texture on the rocks.

oCDs01-711
05-16-2011, 08:03 PM
You are quite an artist, cat friend! :thumbsup:

robertsloan2
05-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Thank you! Love that little animation, oCDs!

Candace, I didn't plan it as the dirt path where the grass wore away but as soon as it was done I saw it too. That's one of those moments of serendipity!

Michelle and Debby, thank you! Yep, one cool thing about the effect, if you didn't even notice it because the focal area was too cool I did it right!

CandAlArt
05-17-2011, 12:59 AM
Candace, I didn't plan it as the dirt path where the grass wore away but as soon as it was done I saw it too. That's one of those moments of serendipity!

Oh how cool is that?! :cat: So use the technique again and see what happens; I do like pictures I have seen where the paper shows and the artist left the border(s) unpainted. I just finished an OP that I debated leaving a bare edge all around, then changed my mind. Maybe for the better since the OP is leaving a big oily layer on the back of the pic, & might show on the front as it spreads. (What is with that? It is OP paper, suposedly.)

robertsloan2
05-17-2011, 10:37 PM
I've always liked them too, it's just hard to know when to use that technique. I think I'm getting better at it.

I'm not sure what happened with your paper and the OP. Some papers show it spreading. I've had that happen on Canson mi-Tientes when I primed it - oils slid off the primed area to stain the unprimed border but didn't go through, and it didn't have so much oil in the middle when I used OP directly on unprimed Mi-Tientes. Good to know about that particular paper, what brand is it?

Joan T
05-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Great job on the flowers!!! The one of Wales is impressive. You really captured the massive size of the rocks on the coast!

robertsloan2
05-31-2011, 06:29 PM
Thank you both! Candace, I'll definitely use this technique again!

Here's today's efforts at the Spotlight flowers. This one I'm not happy with either version but that's what Sketchwall stuff is for - to find out what doesn't work so I can improve on it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2011/70184-5-31-2011-Blossoms-1-Gallery-Mungyo.jpg
Blossoms - I
Gallery Mungyo Squares on Aquabee Bogus Recycled Rough paper

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2011/70184-5-31-2011-Blossoms-2-Carb-Othello.jpg
Blossoms - II
Carb-Othello pastel pencils on Aquabee Bogus Recycled Rough paper.

RainySea
05-31-2011, 08:22 PM
I think both are nice, Robert. . . like the colors. The first one pops more in color but the second one has more crisp detail so hard to say which one I prefer :)

CandAlArt
05-31-2011, 08:49 PM
I'm not sure what happened with your paper and the OP. Some papers show it spreading. I've had that happen on Canson mi-Tientes when I primed it - oils slid off the primed area to stain the unprimed border but didn't go through, and it didn't have so much oil in the middle when I used OP directly on unprimed Mi-Tientes. Good to know about that particular paper, what brand is it?

I generally love Strathmore, but this is their "Pastel, assorted colors, ...ideal for oil pastel..." The oil didn't go sideways in front, only thru to the back. Another poster here (who?) said it might go away, and I just checked & it has lessened quite a bit over a couple weeks. Very eerie. I had it pinned up drying on the wall with tracing paper behind to protect the wall. Maybe it air dried. Colorado air is VERY dry. I checked a couple other pieces on Strath' Drawing 400 and something else & did not have this problem before. The layers may have been heavier this time. O well. It's all learning...

DrDebby
05-31-2011, 09:36 PM
Thanks for showing your trysies. I like the second one better, probably because of the greater detail. So that's just a personal opinion.

robertsloan2
06-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Thank you! Debby, I like the more detailed one better too, but the first one did come out bolder. I might try those pastels again on different paper.

Today, my daughter took Sascha to Hobby Lobby and bought her a how to draw dinosaurs book for ages six and up. So we sat together for a good long time carefully doing one of the step by step demonstrations. She's going to have fun working through the book and I'll probably wind up doing all of them with her.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2011/70184-6-4-2011-Cartoon-Brachiosaurus-from-book.jpg
Cartoon Brachiosaurus
8" x 7" approx., Pitt Pens and Tombow pens on charcoal paper. From children's how to draw dinosaurs book.

What's funny is that this sort of thing used to stump me as a kid. I'd try it and never manage to get the smooth lines and flat coloring of the original cartoonist. Think I must've learned something since the last time I tried one!

mhimeswc
06-04-2011, 07:42 PM
I think I bought that book for one of my grandsons a while back. :-)

DrDebby
06-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Cool dinosaur. Have fun playing with Sascha.

vhere
06-05-2011, 12:48 PM
my grandson loves dinosaurs too

fun :)

JTMB
06-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Catching back up on this thread, Robert - lots of great stuff since I last checked in! I like the feel and style of the flowers on the brown paper - very earthy and unique flavor to those sketches.

robertsloan2
06-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Thank you! Michelle, that's great. Sascha loves the book, she's gotten so excited since she got it and so far we've done four of the dinosaurs out of 27. She's getting so good!

I started a new thread for Sascha's Art Lessons to post the things we do together. She's binding all the dinosaurs into her own dinosaur art journal.

Today after that long lesson I decided to do another Spotlight reference!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2011/70184-6-6-2011-Mallard-Pair-Rocks-Water.jpg
Mallard Pair
8" x 10"
Winsor & Newton pastels
Gray Canson Mi-Tientes pastel paper, smooth side
Photo reference by DAK723 for June 2011 Pastel Spotlight

DrDebby
06-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Marvelous duck couple. I like what you did with the background.

vhere
06-07-2011, 03:08 AM
nice one Robert

mhimeswc
06-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Beautiful ducks, and I like what you did with the background too.

JTMB
06-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Good job on the ducks, Robert. We've had a pair fly into our yard daily for the last month at least. What makes this interesting is that except for a small water feature (the five-foot diameter 'pond' is all of 3 inches deep), there is no water in the yard. They show up to devour the seed I spread each morning. I think they discovered the yard a couple years ago when scoping out a place to nest nearby. Mallards are ground-nesters away from water, so during breeding season, you'll see them in some strange places - which also is one explanation for why you'll also find them crossing a road, babies in tow, where you least would expect to find them.

robertsloan2
06-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Thank you! John, that's so cool about the ducks in your yard. They fly, so it makes sense they'd show up for the free feed even if you only have a small three inch deep "pond" for them to paddle in. It's still water for them to drink. Makes sense if they're ground nesters that they'd think of your yard as a good safe place - fewer predators, plenty of food, good water in that little "pond" for drinking and bathing.

Another pair of waterbirds, this time done with different pastels in a looser sketch.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2011/70184-6-12-2011-Geese-Pastel-Spotlight.jpg
Autumn Geese
6" x 9"
Mungyo Gallery soft squares pastels
Aquabee Bogus Recycled Rough sketch paper.
Photo reference by DAK723 for June 2011 Pastel Spotlight.

I deliberately kept the texture loose and didn't do any blending on this one except using the sticks. Getting the feel of these pastels which are a bit different from the hard pastels I'm used to on this paper.

CandAlArt
06-13-2011, 01:30 AM
Autumn Geese is really nice Robert. The minimal style still captures the birds posture and reflections perfectly. Bravo.

RainySea
06-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Lovely, Robert. great birds, water and reflection. And I like how some of the neutral paper shows through.

vhere
06-13-2011, 12:32 PM
yes, I like the use of the paper colour too

DrDebby
06-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Great geese. The reflections are superb.

mhimeswc
06-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Beautiful pastel geese!

robertsloan2
07-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Thank you! Wish me luck - this is also my entry for the Jerry's Artarama Spring Pastel Contest.

Here are today's pastel sketches with Sascha. We watched the Colin Bradley video on drawing animals, that's the one that she chose on ArtistsNetworkTV. While he did the chimp, she drew a panda from memory with a brush pen and pastel pencils:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2011/70184-7-6-2011-Sascha-Baby-Panda.jpg
Baby Panda by Sascha
Brush pen and pastel pencils on construction paper.

Then we both did the panda demo together:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2011/70184-7-6-2011-Sascha-Mommy-Panda-Bear-Lesa.jpg
Mommy Panda Bear Lesa, by Sascha
Pastel pencils on construction paper.
I helped a little with the sketch lines since he started from a finished sketch.

I did the demo too, using only the same 12 colors she has in her Kimberley pastel pencils set.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2011/70184-7-6-2011-Panda-from-Colin-Bradley-Demo-pastel-pencils.jpg
Panda from Colin Bradley Video
6" x 9"
Pastel pencil on Aquabee Recycled Rough Sketch Paper.

Okay, I slipped in Sascha's sketches too because they were too cool. But they wind up on my sketch wall anyway when she gives them to me. Purple paper was her choice of background.

RainySea
07-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Sascha did great both in her baby from memory and in her adult from the video! Love how she added the color to the white area rather than making it all matt white. Your panda has beautiful shading and eyes.

DrDebby
07-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Great panda sketches from both of you. Purple is a good background color. :)

eyepaint
07-07-2011, 01:31 AM
Fun panda baby and panda mommy by Sascha :) :) :)

vhere
07-07-2011, 04:24 PM
well done Sascha :)

Kema
07-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Great geese! Love the colors in the water.

mhimeswc
07-08-2011, 04:21 PM
I love the panda that Sasha did from memory. It's adorable. And you both did great on the demo one. I've been doing art work with my granddaughter too. Jadyn's older than Sasha, but next week I will probably have her brothers who are nearer to Sasha's age - 7 and 9. It's fun working with kids and having them use real supplies instead of the kiddie stuff.

robertsloan2
07-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Thank you! I read all of Sascha's comments to her and she says "Thank you!" Michelle, she's very excited that your grandson is her age. She's amazed by that, she was so surprised!

We're painting again together today, this time with oil pastels. She's still working on her horse, here's mine from the Oil Pastels Challenge.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2011/70184-7-13-2011-OP-Challenge-Horse-Grazing.jpg
Grazing Horse
9" x 12"
Neopastel oil pastels on Canson Mi-Tientes white
Photo reference by aolaranora for July OP Challenge

Here's Sascha's horse, inspired by the same photo but she changed the pose.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2011/70184-7-13-2011-Sascha-Horse-and-Tree.jpg
Horse by Sascha
9" x 12"
Loew-Cornell oil pastels on blue Strathmore pastel paper.

DrDebby
07-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Great seeing you working with Sascha again. Your horse is lovely. Sascha's horse is whimsical.

robertsloan2
07-13-2011, 02:29 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2011/70184-7-13-2011-Watercolor-tree-study-backyard-Arkansas.jpg
Watercolor Tree Study
9" x 12"
Sakura Koi pan watercolors on 90lb watercolor paper.

Painted this tree outside my window from life. I won't have this view much longer, so I'm trying to remember it well.

robertsloan2
07-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Newborn kitten demo for Sascha:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2011/70184-7-13-2011-Kitten_for_Sascha.jpg

Mama cat from Sascha's description:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2011/70184-7-13-2011-Cat_for_Sascha.jpg

Both from imagination and Sascha's description. Sakura Koi pan watercolor on Canson Biggie Junior 90lb cold press watercolor paper.

vhere
07-13-2011, 04:30 PM
very new kitten looking :>)

DrDebby
07-13-2011, 10:32 PM
These are all so great. The kitten and cat from a child's description are splendid.

mhimeswc
07-14-2011, 10:28 AM
I love Sasha's horse!

Great cat demos! Is Sasha going to try those too?

robertsloan2
07-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Thank you! She did the kitten but didn't do the cat. I'm happy with how they turned out. I painted them as a gift for her and listened to her happy descriptions of seeing the mother cat wash her babies. She forgot to mention Mama Cat had long hair like Ari till I was done though.

JTMB
07-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Great job on the kitten and cat!

RainySea
07-16-2011, 12:54 AM
lovely tree. . . beautiful eyes on that kitten and the mama cat is very well done.

robertsloan2
07-16-2011, 04:03 PM
Thank you! Here we go with another Sascha painting special. Hers is going off to her other grandpa as part of a present her dad's putting together.

My granddaughter Sascha is seven years old and I've been teaching her art since she was two and a half. She loves painting and drawing. I'm incredibly proud. I didn't sketch this for her - she drew it with a pencil and then painted directly from the photo. The only help I gave her was painting mine at the same time.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2011/70184-7-16-2011-WDE_Jaguar_by_Sascha_justjean_reference.jpg
Jaguar by Sascha
9" x 12"
Sakura Koi pan watercolors on Canson Biggie watercolor paper.
Photo reference by justjean for Weekend Drawing Event July 15-17, 2011. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=940718)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2011/70184-7-16-2011-WDE-July-15-justjean-Jaguar.jpg
Jaguar in the Snow
Sakura Koi watercolors on Canson Biggie watercolor paper.
Photo reference by justjean for Weekend Drawing Event July 15-17, 2011. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=940718)

Hers is a Mommy Jaguar about to have cubs. She decided that while painting.

DrDebby
07-16-2011, 09:00 PM
Sascha is so clever. Great paintings from both of you.

mhimeswc
07-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Wonderful jaguars! Sasha is going to miss having you there to teach her.

JTMB
07-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Great cheetah drawings, Robert! Sascha is on her way to doing great things with her art - she'll always remember her mentor's key role when she looks back later in life. :)

robertsloan2
09-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Thank you! I miss doing those sketch sessions with her. That's the only sad thing about the move, that I don't have those days with my granddaughter.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2011/70184-9-14-2011-Spotlight-Landscape-Reflections.jpg
Trees and Reflections
6" x 9"
Pastel on paper
Photo reference by DAK723

Vivien Maloney
09-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Lovely work Robert and I love Sasha's leopard - shes very talented!

zebby
09-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Love that you teach Sasha. Yours drawings are wonderful and Sasha's are so great for a 7 year old. I have my grandson over sometimes and he has done some fairly nice ones, when he was about 5. He is 9 now and doesn't draw that much anymore.

Whisperwood
09-15-2011, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE=robertsloan2]Thank you! I miss doing those sketch sessions with her. That's the only sad thing about the move, that I don't have those days with my granddaughter.

Robert, do you have skype? Then you could see her often and draw together!

robertsloan2
10-03-2011, 08:59 PM
I haven't set up Skype yet. I'm still working on getting settled in San Francisco and going to all my necessary appointments and so on. I'll do it when I've caught up with everything else that needs to be done.

Two pages of sketching for the Sketchwall!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2011/70184-10-3-2011-Homerun-Fantasy-Sketches-Post1.jpg
Test Page 36 Homerun PAS "Fantasy" Oil Pastels
9" x 12"
Homerun PAS "Fantasy" Oil Pastels
Aquabee Recycled Rough Sketch Paper
Photo reference by lisilk from RIL

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2011/70184-10-3-2011-Homerun-Picasso-OP-sketches-post.jpg
Homerun PAS "Picasso" Oil Pastels
9" x 12"
From life.

I'll have another one too! Still need to test and review the 47 color Homerun PAS Oil Pastels that don't have another label added like Picasso or Fantasy. It's a cool set, just looking at the little sticks they remind me of some old favorites.

Edit - here it is! I like these oil pastels, they may be firm but are relatively non crumbly and pigment rich.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2011/70184-10-3-2011-Homerun-Sketches-Post.jpg
Swatches and Iris
9" x 12"
Homerun PAS oil pastels
Photo reference from RIL for October OP Challenge

RainySea
10-03-2011, 11:53 PM
Lovely oil pastel drawings, Robert! Love the little girl

DrDebby
10-04-2011, 12:30 AM
I like that you don't just do little boxes or scribbles of colors, but utilize them immediately on a drawing.

JTMB
10-04-2011, 01:43 AM
The girl's portrait is wonderful, especially for a quick sketch!

vhere
10-04-2011, 06:40 AM
I like metallics too - especially bronze and silver

Joan T
10-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Robert - I am just catching up on what I missed in this thread while I was gone. I love the sketches you and Sascha were doing together. I hope you can keep up that close contact now that you are in SF. She must miss you terribly! The pages here just make me smile!

robertsloan2
10-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Wow, thank you! I hope to get a video link set up sometime so I can sketch with her again even though I'm so far away from them now. I love Sascha so much.

Debby, thanks. I always like to try something with a drawing as well as the color charts. It's much easier to tell how a medium blends and handles, it's just I like doing the swatches first to know what I've got to work with.

robertsloan2
10-07-2011, 09:16 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2011/70184-10-7-2011-Rooster-ref-by-sundiver-WDE.jpg
Rooster
9" x 12"
Black and white sketching crayons
Photo reference by Sundiver for October 7 2011 Weekend Drawing Event (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950971).

JTMB
10-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Great job on the rooster!

RainySea
10-08-2011, 07:13 PM
beautiful rooster!!!

DrDebby
10-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Quite a rooster!

robertsloan2
10-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Purr thank you!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2011/70184-10-10-2011-Pear-Study.jpg
Pear Study
5" x 7"
Mungyo Gallery Soft Squares pastels
Black Arches cover stock removed from an Arches watercolor block.

I've been saving that heavy black card stock for something. It's black, it's heavy, it's toothy. I knew it'd be good sketch paper.

RainySea
10-11-2011, 08:54 AM
very nice. . . love how you did shadows in purple on the black! cool

robertsloan2
10-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Thank you! I was going to do a background and decided after I did the shadow that it didn't need one. I love how the colors pop out against black.

DrDebby
10-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Black is a great background. I too like the purple shadow. The pear looks delicious.

robertsloan2
10-13-2011, 01:04 AM
Thank you! I might try it again in a different background.

Joan T
10-14-2011, 02:06 PM
I like the way the colors pop on the black. Love the rooster and that pear!

robertsloan2
10-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Purr, thank you, Joan!

Today I'm finally getting around to creating the six Unfinished Pieces that I have to present to the San Francisco Arts Commission screening committee on the 27th. I have a good many new pastels to mat, at least two are San Francisco tourist scenes that'll probably sell the day I go out. I want to do more though.

I wish I had the mobility to roam around the city on foot, go up a few blocks and sketch Union Square from life. But I've got to settle for photos until I've got a new place to live that's wheelchair accessible and a power chair that I'll qualify for as soon as I have a wheelchair accessible home.

Progress 1 is in my Little Sketchbooks thread.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2011/70184-10-14-2011-Street-View-Progress-2.jpg
Potrero Street View Progress 2
9" x 12" marked up for 8" x 10" picture area
Graphite sketch on orange Canson Mi-Tientes pastel paper.
From my life sketch of Potrero Street Scene "Progress 1" in pen on Robert Bateman sketchbook.

JTMB
10-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Love the pear - it really pops!

DrDebby
10-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Good luck with your presentation.

RainySea
10-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Hi Robert. . . so you have to show them six unfinished (like in progress) pieces at the presentation? That is interesting. How many finished pieces do you need? Hope it goes well! I look forward to one day coming to visit you as a working street artist . . next time I plan to be up North will be in April (Sacramento area)

robertsloan2
10-23-2011, 12:20 AM
Rainy, that is awesome! By April, I should have my life a lot more stable including building a schedule that would work.

Sketchwall today, half a sheet of Aquabee Recycled Rough paper I had laying around and my twelve color Conte plus the sketching Conte gray stick.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2011/70184-10-22-2011-Golden-Evening.jpg
Golden Evening
7" x 10"
color Conte on recycled brown paper
photo reference by mclmd

RainySea
10-23-2011, 11:26 AM
beatuful golden light. . . I've seen evenings like that. You've captured the essence of them well.

robertsloan2
10-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Purr thank you!

DrDebby
10-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Beautiful.

robertsloan2
10-31-2011, 12:07 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2011/70184-10-30-2011-Copy-of-Monet-Spotlight.jpg
Monet copy for October Pastel Spotlight
5" x 8"
Color Conte on Aquabee Bogus Recycled brown paper.
I don't know the title of the Monet original but I love it.

I've seen a lot of my friends copy the masters so I decided to have a go. It's not for sale, it's just something to cheer up my sketch wall now that so many of my pastels are matted and packaged to sell!

Joan T
10-31-2011, 01:32 PM
It is exciting that you are getting things ready to sell!!! There will be no stopping you. I like the sketch of the Victorian houses...very SFish! Great conte sketch too.

vhere
10-31-2011, 03:01 PM
that needs you to write a story to go with it now :>) it really does!

DrDebby
10-31-2011, 11:23 PM
Copying the masters is a great idea. You'll have to show us your set up once you're on the streets. :)

robertsloan2
11-04-2011, 01:42 AM
Purr, will do! I'll take a good photo of my setup the first day I set up, just stand back and use my phone. I love my new phone. It takes better photos than my digital camera. It's even easier to use as a phone!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2011/70184-11-03-2011-Pastel-Spotlight-Pumpkin.jpg
Pumpkin Shadow
5" x 7"
Mungyo Gallery semi-hard and hand rolled pastels
Strathmore Artagain pastel paper, dark grey
Photo reference by Tammy Marie for November 2011 Pastel Spotlight (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=953964)

Pastel Spotlight exercise experimenting with transitional colors in the soft-edged shadow and the shifting colors and values in the pumpkin's shadow. Lots of fun. That black corner in darkness is actually deep dark red and green sparkling against each other, I hid a lot of color in this!

JamieWG
11-04-2011, 08:48 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2011/70184-11-03-2011-Pastel-Spotlight-Pumpkin.jpg
Pumpkin Shadow
5" x 7"

Stunning! This glows so much I almost had to put on my sunglasses! :cool: REally great job, Robert.

Jamie

Joan T
11-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Awesome light on the pumpkin!!! It looks like it is glowing from a light source like a fireplace or a large candle. Super job, Robert!!

DrDebby
11-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Super glow on the pumpkin.

JTMB
11-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Great pumpkin!

vhere
11-06-2011, 06:56 PM
really does glow :)

robertsloan2
11-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Purr thank you! I loved the light on this. I got it well enough Colorix wants it as part of an art trade!

Here's today's color study for my Trees class homework, oh, only three weeks late and only a color study rather than a painting. Oh well.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2011/70184-11-12-2011-Dawn_in_Elf_Forest.jpg
Dawn in the Elf Forest color study
4" square
Pastel pencil on brown rough paper.
Photo by Johannes Vloothuis for "Essentials of Painting Trees" homework Week 2.

Long belated color study of this scene that turned into a mood painting. I was laying in some Prussian Blue to mass the darks and when I started going over it with the cream, it suddenly snapped together as this shadowy valley at dawn where the light's not touching much at all - except that magical little spot between the trees where presumably an unseen gap in the rocks lets the light come through.

That little bit of light in a shadowed area fascinated me. This is only one version. I intend to work this up as a serious painting, just can't do it quickly or without experiments. I might use the colors in a different scene too.

DrDebby
11-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Brilliant, moody forest.

robertsloan2
11-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Purr thank you! Did a bison today. Found my hemp pad and thought that'd be so cool, wildlife on a green paper!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Nov-2011/70184-11-14-2011-Bison-Study.jpg
Bison Study
5" square
Carb-Othello pastel pencils
Strathmore Hemp Charcoal Paper
Photo reference from RIL by Trimoon.

robertsloan2
11-14-2011, 10:16 PM
Then I did a Pastel Spotlight sketch on the black card that covers Arches watercolor blocks. I saved it because I noticed Arches carried black archival card stock and wondered if that was what they used to protect their archival paper. The back is printed with Arches over and over in gold ink.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Nov-2011/70184-11-14-2011-Spotlight-Autumn-Trees.jpg
Autumn Fire
4 1/2" x 5 1/2"
Pastel pencils on black card stock
Photo reference by DAK723 for Pastel Spotlight 11-2011.

DrDebby
11-15-2011, 05:49 PM
The bison is super. That cover probably is archival since it's against and protecting the paper. Good use of resources. And the trees are splendid.

JTMB
11-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Great work on the bison and fiery fall forest scene, Robert!

Joan T
11-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Love the sketch of the bison!!! That tree is really super...such dramatic color against the black cover sheet from the Arches. I always save that paper in case I want to do something on black.

robertsloan2
11-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Thank you! Debby, I think I agree with you. It's probably archival, they are always so top of the line on everything. I knew they had archival card stock in black, it stands to reason that's what they cover the blocks with.

Painted along with a pastel demo today:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2011/70184-11-19-2011-JV-Paint-Along-Pastel-Winter-Trees.jpg
Paint-Along with Johannes Vloothuis Pastel Demo "Winter Trees"
8" x 10"
Pastel on paper, no photo reference, just copied Johannes's demo painting. Not an exact copy, I didn't get the snow patches into the grass and simplified a few other things. I can see some mistakes but it came out better than I expected once I wasn't staring at it with my nose almost touching the paper.

JamieWG
11-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Nice soft colors on this Winter Trees pastel. You did well with the fading and cooling of the background foliage too.

Jamie

RainySea
11-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Hi Robert. . . I commented on this last in the all media, too. I think its a lovely painting. Wonderful color and sense of distance. I feel I would like to walk into the scene.

DrDebby
11-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Definitely a very cool fall, almost winter day feeling to this one. Splendid.