PDA

View Full Version : David's January Challenge - Theme - Cars (suprise)

Davkin
01-01-2011, 08:52 PM
I guess I'm the first to post for the January Challenge. I've decided to go with a theme for the whole month......Cars. Ya, I know, big suprise. :lol: I'm going at it a bit different then my usual car sketching though. I still often fail to capture even the main proportions correctly, let alone the wheels/tires. So, I'm going to spend more time on these sketches than I usually do and hopefully make significant progress in my car drawing skills. I plan on spending 1-2 hours on each sketch. I have a goal of finishing at least 5 per week for a total of 20 for January. All of these will be done in Sketchbook #5, my 9x12 spiral bound book.

Here's January sketch #1;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2011/201970-sketchbook-05042.jpg

This is a '32 Ford roadster hot rod from a photo I took at a local car show in October. I'm fairly happy with the body proportions though it should be wider and I still didn't get the foreshortening quite right. The wheel/tire proportions are quite a ways off even though I cheated and used a template as a guide. I spent about an hour on this one. Here is the ref photo;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2011/201970-sketchbook-05042-ref.jpg

As you can see I put a hood on it, you couldn't really see the engine from this angle anyway. All my sketches I do for the January challenge will be from my own photos.

David

poochemio
01-01-2011, 09:59 PM
A good start David, and waaaaaaaaaay better than any car attempts I have made! Happy New Years!

Vivien Maloney
01-01-2011, 11:26 PM
You're off to a roaring start David - well done.
Will look forward to seeing your new Journal.

birdhs
01-01-2011, 11:56 PM
I like your concept of multiple cars, I am a car nut so I will be enjoying your journey.

IMHO I think you may have made an error from the git-go on this one: The drawing is from a slightly different angle than the photo. this causes the drawing to be more difficult (unless of course that was the intention). As a result the front tire is farther out than it should be, or possibly the radiator/hood needs to be extended. I find myself doing this all the time that is why I recognized it so quickly.

To avoid this I usually begin with drawing a box, then that helps me place everything in line with everything else, and I now try to ensure the angle of the box matches the angle of the photo. The hardest part is when I try to create a different angle than the pix deliberately, but then it switched from copying to actual drawing...
Hope this helps, Greg

eyepaint
01-02-2011, 01:14 AM
Welcome to 2011 and thank you and congratulations on being the first to post a January project. Wonderful rendering of this car. I admire your plan to approach the drawings with more time and consideration than typically given to a "quick sketch". I'm sure you'll see leaps and bounds of improvement in a brief time :) Cheers,

Davkin
01-02-2011, 01:51 AM
Thanks Vivien, Margo.

Greg, you're right, but my error right from the get go was more of a perspective error, or foreshortening error. The box can help, but only if it's right to begin with! :lol: This is my most common error on this car sketches, I'm getting better at it but it still plagues me. Maybe it's the photographer's fault for taking such extreme perspective photos.....oh wait, that's me too. :lol:

Thanks EP, hopefully I'll get this foreshortening thing conquered if nothing else, though getting the wheels/tires thing figured out would be nice too. :D

David

virgo68
01-02-2011, 01:52 AM
Hi David, great start to your new challenge. I am too scared to even attempt a car so I am in awe! Good luck, but most of all, have fun with the challenge - I am going to keep watching ;)

Davkin
01-02-2011, 01:55 AM
Looks like we cross posted. Thanks Jackie. Maybe cars scare you, but I'd be unlikey to try to draw druids and faires myself. :D I guess we tend to sketch/draw what we love and if we love the subject enough we'll overcome the obstacles eventually.

David

seejay
01-02-2011, 03:36 AM
A good start David. Plenty of good practice at ellipses and perspective in store for you.

RainySea
01-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Dave, congrats on being the first one with a journal entry for January's Challenge!!! And what a wonderful topic to do something you love drawing more in depth than usual. . . great idea.

I think this car is nicely done. . . it give me the basic feeling for this car and the lines of her. I can tell right off that its a convertible and nice job of portraying the rear with the dual mufflers. The one small thing that sticks out to me is that the open engine area does not show on the drawing so it looks closed in even though in the pict its open. overall, nice drawing

Davkin
01-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Thanks Chris.

Thanks Rainy. I did mention that I put a hood on it since you couldn't really see the engine much from that view anyway, I think this particular would look better with a hood anyway. Since it's all bare steel I wonder if it's a work in progress anyway. Maybe this year I'll see the same car at a show with paint.

David

Joan T
01-02-2011, 02:40 PM
David - Congrats on being the first one started on a January theme. Great job on the car. You do them so well!!

mhimeswc
01-02-2011, 03:19 PM
That's a super cool looking car, and you did a great job on it.

DrDebby
01-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Great idea for your January challenge. Keep working on those cars. This one is a beauty.

CandAlArt
01-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Good job- complex theme, cars. Enjoy the challenge. With your plan you will probably get better & better from all the hours of work!

Elain
01-03-2011, 03:58 AM
You are getting better with the cars and i do like this one. You really pick the unique ones.

Davkin
01-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks Joan, Michelle, Debbie, Candace and Elain. phew! :D

Here's sketch #2.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2011/201970-sketchbook-05043.jpg

Something a little different for me, though I used to be an avid R/C Off-roader so I have some interest in the subject. I spent a little less than an hour on this one. I did better on the foreshortening though not perfect. My biggest perspective goof is with the roof. You should be able to see the underside of the roof but by the time I realized I goofed there it would have been too much work to fix it.

Here's the ref, a pic I took at a local car show;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2011/201970-sketchbook-05043-ref.jpg

David

JTMB
01-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Good work on both the cars, David! Pretty much spanned the spectrum there - a hot rod and a hardcore off-roader. The few freehand cars I've tried can probably best be described as unintentionally humorous. :)

DrDebby
01-04-2011, 01:30 AM
Another cool sketch. Have you ever tried drawing the same reference again?

seejay
01-04-2011, 07:12 AM
That is one rugged looking vehicle!:D A good quick sketch.

The use of an initial box structure was mentioned above; if you stick with it I'm sure it will get easier to measure and compare lengths / angles of the main "lines", and thus help remove goofs like the roof.

Anyway, keep enjoying doing these, and I'll keep enjoying seeing the results.

Joan T
01-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Nice sketch...love how you did those jumbo tires.

RainySea
01-04-2011, 03:15 PM
nice work on a complex looking vehicle. I like how you can change them up (like putting the hood down) and still capture it so well.

Davkin
01-04-2011, 04:16 PM
nice work on a complex looking vehicle. I like how you can change them up (like putting the hood down) and still capture it so well.

Funny you should mention that. I've gone so far as to ask owners of the cars if they'd put their hood down while I took photos. :lol: I used to be an avid model car builder and back then I preferred for the hood to be up so I could get photos of all the details of the engine, now that I prefer to draw them, (or attempt to do so anyway) I prefer for the hood to be down when I take photos. Unfortunately the owner of the car is rarely next to his car when I'm taking photos.

David

Davkin
01-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Good work on both the cars, David! Pretty much spanned the spectrum there - a hot rod and a hardcore off-roader. The few freehand cars I've tried can probably best be described as unintentionally humorous. :)

Ya, my interests in cars cover the whole gamut, however my favorites are the traditional styled rods and customs.

David

Davkin
01-04-2011, 04:24 PM
That is one rugged looking vehicle!:D A good quick sketch.

The use of an initial box structure was mentioned above; if you stick with it I'm sure it will get easier to measure and compare lengths / angles of the main "lines", and thus help remove goofs like the roof.

Anyway, keep enjoying doing these, and I'll keep enjoying seeing the results.

The box structure applied well to this one since it's a very boxy vehicle. I've found however that when doing a very curvy vehicle such the typical mid to late 30's passenger car the box is very little if any help.

David

Davkin
01-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Another cool sketch. Have you ever tried drawing the same reference again?

No, I don't think so. Maybe I should but you know.....so many cars so little time. :D

David

Davkin
01-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Nice sketch...love how you did those jumbo tires.

Ya, I just kinda indicated them rather than draw them in detail. To do that would have taken and hour per tire alone!

David

Davkin
01-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Here's sketch #3, a 1929 LaSalle;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2011/201970-sketchbook-05044.jpg

I think I did better on the foreshortening but still not quite there. The spare tire was a pain! I inadvertintly chopped the top a bit. :lol: I took a little less than an hour on it. I need to see what I can do with two hours here soon.

Here's the ref;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2011/201970-sketchbook-05044-ref.jpg

This is one of those cars for which the box method is only slightly helpful. I basically just used two sides of a box to get me started.

David

DrDebby
01-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Very cool car. Did notice the spare tire right away. But couldn't tell you, after scanning back and forth between your drawing and the photo, what exactly drew my attention to it. *shrug*

vhere
01-05-2011, 11:38 AM
You've caught the ruggedness of that Ford well :)

birdhs
01-05-2011, 04:50 PM
What a wonderful photo, love the color combo.

At the right side of the spare tire just the tiniest piece of fender shows, this will keep the spare tire from looking as if it is floating away. The front tire is a little off, too, but that one can be redrawn and erased so many times you'll end up ruining the sketch. Those tires at an angle are among the hardest to do. I took a lesson from the Old Masters who drew a hand in chalk over and over until they were ready to transfer the one they were happy with to the final painting:
With modern technology (I have Photoshop8) I can do a pencil sketch, scan it, look at it on the monitor, duplicate it, erase the offending item (such as removing a tire) and print copies of the tireless car which I then add tires to until I get it right. THEN I erase the original tire and re-do it. Really helps me to do this. Now if I could only learn how to do pencil sketches on the computer....naaaaaa, I like the smell of cedar and paper and erasers
Thanx 4 posting, I really like this, and it does pleaseth our eye, Greg.

seejay
01-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Good job with the car, some really tricky bits in that beauty.

Davkin
01-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Very cool car. Did notice the spare tire right away. But couldn't tell you, after scanning back and forth between your drawing and the photo, what exactly drew my attention to it. *shrug*

Thanks Debby, I think maybe I didn't get the car quite wide enough and the spare isn't drawn at quite the right angle, (same problem with the rear tire) so it looks kinda goofy.

Thanks Vivien.

Greg, good eye, I missed that piece of fender, however due to proportion and perspective issues Ii'm not sure adding it in would have helped much. I'm sure when I get around to doing a full detailed drawing of a car I'll end up doing a similar process, sketch until I get it right and then transfer the sketch to the paper the final drawing will be on.

Thanks Chris!

I started #4 tonight but won't finish it, in fact I may have to start over, I think I have the angle so wrong I'll have erase most of it anyway to get it right. :lol: Tomorrow night I'll have more time so I'll get it done then, if the initial sketch comes out well I may even ink this one.

David

RainySea
01-06-2011, 02:50 AM
That is a great car. . . you must have fun going to see all those old cars, I've not seen many of those around. You've done a nice job of drawing it.

Davkin
01-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks Rainy. One of my favorite summer time activities is going to car shows so I have thosands of photos of cars and trucks.

I finally got to #4, though it's not a happy story. :lol: I just felt really run down Thursday and Friday so I'd just come home from work and read and sleep, didn't even turn my computer on for two days. I have more energy today so I got back on #4. I ended up starting over, what I did Wednesday night was just not useful. I decided to try the broadstroke method again. I got pretty frustrated, I just could not get the perspective figured out so I just hurried and finished the darn thing. :lol: I spent less than an hour on it;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2011/201970-sketchbook-05045.jpg

Here's the ref;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2011/201970-sketchbook-05045-ref.jpg

This is a Ford Model TT one ton truck. Ford started producing these in 1917 as a response to all the aftermarket truck conversion kits being produced for the Model T. The TT is basically the same as a T except the frame was a bit beefier, the rear axle had a worm gear with a higher ratio to produce more torque and the rear suspension and rear wheels were heavier duty. Except for the front fenders and hood Ford supplied the TT without a body, so all the bodies on TT's are built by the aftermarket so there is quite a variety which makes TT's interesting.

I'll try to get to #5 today so I stay on schedule but I may not make it, I can always catch up later. :) I'll try to spend more time on the next one but I still want to use the broad stroke method. I really want to master the broad stroke. It's a way to produce finished works faster yet visually pleasing, perfect for plein air work.

David

Davkin
01-08-2011, 09:38 PM
I already got #5 done;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2011/201970-sketchbook-05046.jpg

I said I was going to take more time on this one but I didn't, the sketch just went so fast. I have no idea why this one was so easy for me, it just was. It was the total opposite of the frustration of the last sketch. Still not perfect but I beleive it may be the most accurate of the 5 sketches so far. I'm still struggling with the tendency to lengthen the side. I guess my left brain want to show it as a profile. :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2011/201970-sketchbook-05046-ref.jpg

I don't know a lot about this one except it's an International heavy truck, probably from the late 30's.

David

DrDebby
01-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Love the Ford truck. Got pictures somewhere of my great grandpa turning one of those into an RV. :lol:

#5 is better. You found your zone. Good job.

seejay
01-10-2011, 05:54 AM
Hope you are getting some energy back! I agree with you, the last one is the best so far. I'm enjoying your sketches and photos, very interesting. :clap:

Davkin
01-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Thanks Debby, Chris.

Well, I disappeared for a few days again didn't I? :lol: I was focused on other things on Sunday but I meant to take that day off from sketching. Monday and Tuesday I was in my usual winter funk again, I'll be like this a lot until late March most likely. Yesterday I got busy with other things so I didn't get back to sketching until today....but this one is a whopper! I decided to try something totally different. I have a 24 X 18 Canson sketch pad that I'd never done anything with so I decided to get it out along with a couple charcoal pencils and did this;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2011/201970-sketchbook-07003.jpg

The sketch nearly filled the length of the paper so it's almost 2 feet long! This thing is so big I think I can count it as two sketches. :lol: I did this at an easel as well so it was different that way for me as well. That's kinda hard for me because my shoulder is messed up, (actually both are.) so my arm gets painful and tired pretty quick from holding it up, so I don't know how often I'll do this kind of thing, plus the paper is a little too toothy for my taste. I spent about 1 1/2 hours on it.

Here's the ref;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2011/201970-sketchbook-07003-ref.jpg

This is a 1948 Chevy Aerosedan. This was essentially the last of the pre-modern cars. In 1949 Ford introduced the first car without separate fenders, Chevy followed in 1950.

Overall the proportions came out okay, I got the perspective way wrong on the rear wheel, as usual. :lol:

David

DrDebby
01-13-2011, 10:10 PM
But it looks so cool!

JTMB
01-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Nice collection of classic cars and trucks!

Joan T
01-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Great job on the LaSalle and the trucks and cars that follow. It was interesting to read how you use photoshop to help you sketch. I enjoy seeing your vehicles!

poochemio
01-14-2011, 07:54 PM
I'm amazed at the amount of detail you get into these sketches in an hour! As long as you keep working at it I say stop worrying about the little details, the more you do it, the more they will work themselves out. Love the last car, one of my girlfriends in high school had one of those, her grandmother gave it to her thinking it would keep her out of trouble! HAH! You could fit a bunch of teenagers in one of those. Thanks for the funny memories this brought up.

Davkin
01-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Thanks Debby, John.

Thanks Joan, I'm not sure what you are talking about with the Photoshop?

Thanks Margo. I'd love to have one of those big beautys today! Even though I drive a Ford now Chevy's are my first love.

David

Davkin
01-15-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm almost hesitant to show this one, it's that bad. :lol: I must have hurried myself too much. I meant to do it last night but I bought some tubes of oils on my way home last night and ended up spending all night playing with those.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2011/201970-sketchbook-05047.jpg

This is the latest model car I've sketched I think. It's a 1972 Chevy El Camino. I used to be a real muscle car nut, loved all the cars from the 60's and early 70's. El Caminos in particular hold a special place in my heart since my first car was a 1964 El Camino and I owned it up until last spring, (though it hadn't been running for some time.) I spent many, many hours working on the car and in the end it didn't matter. :lol: The car belonged to my Dad before me and we spent some time working on it together at first but later it was all me working on it, I even did a frame off rebuild of the whole car......again in the end it just didn't matter. I wasn't quite the mechanic I thought I was, I definately wasn't the body man I thought i was and in reality that car was so beat up and rusted out a restoration really should never have been attempted. :lol: Here's the ref;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2011/201970-sketchbook-05047-ref.jpg

As you can see my perspective and proportions are way off in many areas. Heck, I knew that before I even compared it to the photo. How can a sketch seem so right while you are doing it and it's not until you're done that your realize it's all wrong?

Just in case you're curious here is a pic of my El Camino just after I rebuilt it;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2011/201970-elky-5.JPG

And here it is a few years ago after I painted it flat black to hide the rapidly deterioating paint job;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2011/201970-P8230009-lores.jpg

David

poochemio
01-15-2011, 11:42 PM
Love the pictures of your old El Camino! Always had a soft spot for those cars, but I've never had one. I drive a bright orange Jeep these days, you'd probably do a fab sketch of that, really a box on wheels

poochemio
01-15-2011, 11:46 PM
oops now the ending of that last message sounds almost nasty and that wasn't what I meant at all! I meant to hit the advanced button and put a smiley face or something on it, hit the wrong button. Just meant it was sort of like the old Bronco you did earlier in the month. One of my friends has one of those. It sits in his driveway, he has reached the point where his skills can't keep it running and he has a long commute to work. Don't think his elderly dog can jump into it as easily as he can the Subaru! What did you paint with your new oils?

DrDebby
01-16-2011, 08:55 PM
No need to hurry on our account. Glad you had fun with your oil paints. Also glad you are keeping up with your sketching. Yeah, this one is a little off. But, you sketched.

RainySea
01-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Great trucks. . . LOVE that aerosedan, man that one is cool looking! Great drawing of it. Enjoy the oils

Davkin
01-16-2011, 09:53 PM
Don't worry Margo, I understand what you meant.

Thanks guys, but I think I'm probably going to give that El Camino another try.....and again and again if I have to until I get it right! :lol:

David

seejay
01-16-2011, 11:20 PM
Watch those oil paints, David, they can be addictive!:D

The Aerosedan turned out really well.:thumbsup: I have read that working larger makes it easier to spot mistakes, maybe that is right.

DrDebby
01-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Drawing a subject again and again is a great learning tool. Looking forward to the next version.

poochemio
01-18-2011, 01:08 AM
Go for it David! It is in your heart so sketch it out! Isn't that the purpose of sketchbooks, to practice and to reel out your heart? If not I'm so messing up in mine!