PDA

View Full Version : They're here - and they frighten me!

gredelin
01-20-2003, 09:37 AM
Finally got my new pastels, almost kissed the UPS man, unpacked them... and now what?
They're so pretty, I don't want to touch them.
Guess I'll follow Barb's advice and start peeling the paper off and break them all in half... but they're so pretty...
Oh well, now I hear the monsters waking up so they'll get to stay pristine a while longer.

Here they are: 60 Rembrandts, portrait selection, and 60 Schmincke half sticks.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2003/13872-gthnewpastels.jpg

/Gunilla

Redsy333
01-20-2003, 10:31 AM
Congrads!!!!!!:D
I was jealous just hearing about them, and then you had to show me a picture to boot!!! Whaaaaaa!:D
Dont break them..lol unless you want too, but just get them and have fun!!! Remember....the shminkes...are veryyyyyy soft...so go easy with them;)

Nodosaurus
01-20-2003, 12:39 PM
They look great. I love it when they're fresh out of the box and all the colors are pure. The foamlike thingie that covers them has the pure colors on it too. :)

Now break a couple so you don't revere them too much! For me, it makes them used and easier to consume. ;)

-Randy
But some people think I'm crazy. Or maybe its just the voices?

llis
01-20-2003, 01:23 PM
I know exactly how you feel. I can't wait to see you use them. One thing I did what make a page with the numbers/color names and just make a mark or two. That way you have a good reference so you can order individual sticks when you run out. :)

bikevstar
01-20-2003, 02:36 PM
Oh........I want these! All I have are oil pastels right now and I'm not too fond of them. I like the way soft pastels blend much better. Maybe I just need to practice, practice, practice.... They are so pretty aren't they??!!

Kelly

Mikki Petersen
01-20-2003, 03:10 PM
They are prettier on paper! Take the photo, frame it hang it os you can remember them brand new. Then get busy painting and mess those babies up! How can you not grab them and start making marks? I drop everything when I get new supplies and DO something using them immediately. I can't help it. It's a compulsion. Oh, but the kids...I understand that...one does need priorities...

Anna Marie
01-20-2003, 03:42 PM
OOH they look lovely dont unwrap them all I only peel when I need to use them!

sundiver
01-20-2003, 10:35 PM
(....sigh....)

Well, yes I'm envious. Enjoy them! And show us the results!

CarlyHardy
01-21-2003, 12:58 AM
Ah, yes, time to start a new tradition....it's called the Breaking and Peeling Ceremony! After which you get busy and paint a few sketches just to get the feel of those new colors! and then you get serious and get out the Kitty Wallis paper!!!!

Which comes with another ceremony....involving bowing and saying "oh, great paper".....

Nothing like a new ceremony to get the creative juices flowing,
carly:D

Mikki Petersen
01-21-2003, 03:53 AM
Uh oh...so that's what's wrong. I haven't done the ritual paper ceremony. My pastels are a peeled and broken mess but I never paid respect to the support! Thanks for the tip, Carly.

sunny
01-21-2003, 06:13 AM
Carly I'll have to start your tradition...sounds good,,:D
Gredelin..you have us a drooling:D :p Enjoy

MarshaSavage
01-21-2003, 07:21 AM
Carly, girl -- You crack me up!!!!:D Not a bad idea though!

Gunilla -- you are so right though, you do have to peel them and it is a good idea to break the Rembrandts in half. The Schminkes are already done for you. And Phyllis is right on about creating a chart for yourself with a dab of the pastel and a reference of the number. I never seem to get around to doing this, and always wish I had.

Show us some work using these!

gredelin
01-21-2003, 01:32 PM
Thanks all of you for cheering me on!

I hadn't realized before how well I've come to know my trusted 30 Rembrandts - I always know exactly which one to reach for, and I guess that's partly what made me hesitate - how can I possibly keep 120 colors in my poor lil head?

But I just dove right in, without ceremonies Carly :D, and all the little gods and muses and what else :evil: are going to get me for it! I started a baby portrait on black paper - don't EVER try that! It's impossible. I knew from the start that the black was totally unsuitable for the soft pink baby skin, way too harsh, but I thought it would be a nice exercise to see how much it takes to really fill up the paper.

I promise I'll show you the disaster eventually... but now, back to the easel!

/Gunilla

bnoonan
01-22-2003, 12:30 PM
Gunilla,
I wasn't available for the opening ceremony but I assure you - those pastels were worth the wait!!!!

Play, Play, Play!!!!

We'll all be standing by awaiting the work.

Remember - no pressure here.

Barb

PS: I love the idea of the ceremony Carly and will take this on as a new practice. I wonder what David will say when he hears me in my studio.

just dave
01-22-2003, 01:17 PM
Go for it!

Make lots of artworks on the best papers you can afford!

Use the Rembrandts first, then after a while get into those Schminkes (drool)!

gredelin
01-23-2003, 09:48 AM
Wow! The Schminkes! I finally finished bowing to them and mustered the courage to try one... never dreamed they could be so soft, made me shiver all over! Better than... oh no, let's not go there ;).
/Gunilla