PDA

View Full Version : "Luminous Clouds"

Thrash
01-19-2003, 08:48 PM
5x6", pen nib/india ink, yellow pencils 1, 2,3 shading, on Strathmore 400 paper.

Bad composition, good clouds, done from my own b&w photo of Alabama roadside.

More of the same at http://www.absolutearts.com/portfolios/s/spocari/

sassybird
01-19-2003, 09:01 PM
What kind of pencils did you use for the sky? If you use colored pencils you should put the color down in very very light layers and burnish in between. This allows you to get a very soft fluffy look to clouds. I do like the cloud formation in this piece, and the foreground is just great.

If you like clouds I have a huge portfolio of pics I have taken over the past few years, and I would be happy to share them with you. I love looking at clouds.

Thrash
01-21-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by sassybird
What kind of pencils did you use for the sky? If you use colored pencils you should put the color down in very very light layers and burnish in between.

My basic sky is with a No. 3 yellow pencil, and the darker parts of this were probably 2.5 or 2. I never burnish or rub parts of my drawings, because to me it would make different parts of the pic look like a different style.

I later learned how to make smoother skies and gradations by working slower and making more, lighter strokes with the No. 3 pencil tilted on its side.

Here's an example. It's not photographed well, though and I should scan it. The sky is REAL smooth. To see a really smooth one, look at my post in PRINTMAKING, "How Anybody Can Make a Print."

10x14", "Late Spring", pencil drawing on Strathmore 400.