PDA

View Full Version : Art Journals Discussions - Jan 2011

eyepaint
12-31-2010, 07:43 PM
Happy New Year!!

Here's a link to the December discussions (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12107612).

I posted a new thread with our January forum challenge project (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12107902#post12107902). I compiled our ideas from our December thread and suggested it's a "choose your own challenge" project.

I hope that the new year is a great time for everyone!

Cheers,

virgo68
12-31-2010, 10:34 PM
Happy New Year to all, I wish you all a safe and happy 2011.

As artists I hope we all manage to fulfill some of our goals this year and are wonderfully creative ;)

seejay
12-31-2010, 11:18 PM
Happy new year to everyone.

2011 looks good to me so far - the sun is shining, the sky is blue, very few clouds about, and the flood water is falling fast.

Jackie, the only goal I have so far is to have no goals! :D A less smartalec answer is I would like to continue and expand on my (almost) daily art habits. Drawing and painting most days would be great - I like my sketchbooks, but some more 'serious' stuff would be good too, for competitions and exhibitions etc.

Artlike
12-31-2010, 11:57 PM
2010 has been a wonderful year....actually they all are....but I retired this year and looking forward to an art filled 2011. Wish the best to you all and I'm so glad to be a part of this forum and can learn from you all. Ed

DrDebby
01-01-2011, 12:19 AM
I still have a few hours, technically, before the new year starts. But, Happy New Year to all my fellow journalers.

Scattykat
01-01-2011, 03:42 AM
Happy new year y'all, may it bring you all ya wish fer...

Davkin
01-01-2011, 12:22 PM
I don't have a habit of making resolutions either but I think I'll try to resolve to spend more time in the Art Journals forum and on a more consistent basis. Seems I tend to go in spurts, lots of sketching and participation then I disappear for a while. :lol: I'll try to not do that so much this year.

I wish everyone here a healthy and prosperous New Year!

David

mhimeswc
01-01-2011, 12:30 PM
I don't have a habit of making resolutions either but I think I'll try to resolve to spend more time in the Art Journals forum and on a more consistent basis. Seems I tend to go in spurts, lots of sketching and participation then I disappear for a while. :lol: I'll try to not do that so much this year.

I wish everyone here a healthy and prosperous New Year!

David

Ha Ha! Me too!

CandAlArt
01-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Resolved: To use this year what I bought all last year!:lol:

poochemio
01-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Hmm, Candace that is a good intention, probably should be mine as well, I was very generous in my art supply expenditures, to put it mildly!

I don't do resolutions, I make intentions a more positive spin on it from my point of view. Most of my intentions are art related and fun to put into form!

Hope everyone had a super day, I leisurely drank coffee wrote in my journal and then went to the Blanton to see "MY" pictures before they go back to Baltimore on Monday. It has been a very long time since I felt such attraction to certain paintings, and it was a lovely way to spend the afternoon, no matter that half of Austin seemed to have the same idea. Lovely dinner afterward and now I think I'll put my feet up and put my sketchbook in my lap.

My Journal this month is one I started with color charts, and it took up maybe a quarter of the pages, it is a Pentalic Nature Sketch 8.5x11, as I feel driven to work on both sides of the pages there should be more than enough left to keep me bush for a month. I'm involved in a couple of classes this month so there will be a bit of this and that possibly, hard to say, I may loose interest in both classes quickly, it's happened before...okay enough blithering, to art!

Vivien Maloney
01-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Hi everyone and Happy New Year to you all.
My resolution this year, is to spend more time sketching in my Journals and less time talking (very difficult for me).
Wishing everyone -[Health, hope and happiness in 2011

poochemio
01-02-2011, 01:31 PM
The first week I'm going to concentrate on ink. I have dip pens I have never used, India ink and a 6 pack of W&N drawing inks, so I'm going to dip and draw and use brushes and explore what I can do with them. It's only ink and paper and for the life of me I can't explain why I waited so long to just play with them.

Next maybe the dead artist thing and play with Conte's.

Viv, I so get the less time talking more time sketching. If I sketched as much as I chat online my output would be prodigious! Okay that said off to sketch!

Joan T
01-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Happy New Year to all!!! I don't make resolutions because I don't really like breaking them. lol I did start off 2011 with 2 small plein air paintings, so I'm off to a good start. I'll have to dig up a journal to use for January.

CandAlArt
01-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Viv, I so get the less time talking more time sketching. If I sketched as much as I chat online my output would be prodigious! Okay that said off to sketch!

Oh that is so me, too.:lol: I love reading all my WC favorite forums and sketched way too little in December as a result! So my "resolutions" involve focusing on just the favorite threads and getting back to more drawing time. I want to do my journal theme, also use a small sketchbook for honing portrait/figure parts skills, and also want to get out in my city and draw the sights now & then. I really enjoy other artists' sketches of their home and travel scenes. Have a great week all! :wave:

eyepaint
01-02-2011, 09:58 PM
So good to see you all here bright and early in the new year.

Jackie - hooray and I echo your sentiment for a creative year

Chris - hooray for the flood water falling fast

Ed - now you've got lots of time for art!

Debby and Scatty and David and Michelle - good to see you :)

Candace - me too :)

Margo - oooh colour charts - I've got some colour chart homework I "should" work on - hmmm

Joan - great start to the year with two plein airs

Viv - less talking? Nah! :)

poochemio
01-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Candace, I have had such a good time sketching around town in the last few months. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I have, a great way to practice quick portraits too, out in coffee bars, restaurants, etc wherever people gather and spend a bit of time. Good luck.

EP i did the color charts back in October I think and shelved the book, I'm not being quite as virtuous as that may have sounded. It is good to have that to refer back to I guess if I ever make it past playing with inks this month...

RainySea
01-03-2011, 04:25 PM
The first week I'm going to concentrate on ink. I have dip pens I have never used, India ink and a 6 pack of W&N drawing inks, so I'm going to dip and draw and use brushes and explore what I can do with them. It's only ink and paper and for the life of me I can't explain why I waited so long to just play with them.

Next maybe the dead artist thing and play with Conte's.
Ink sounds so fun. . . are you participating in the workshop for Jan that you sent as that uses ink I see. . . I don't have inks like that but I'm doing it using some other mixed media. Started day one last night. It seems fun and I decided that I want to let myself have more messy fun with my art this month. I had did that a little bit towards the end of Nov. and really enjoyed it!

Conte's sound cool, too!

Viv, that is a great resolution. I have not made one yet. . . still thinking on it but that is a good one.

Take care all.

poochemio
01-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Yes Rainy I'm sort of playing along, it's always a toss up which will get bored first Milliande or me! I had decided on inks and then that was her theme so it sort of coincided. I had to do errands this afternoon so my inks are right where I left them. I have a couple of new squirrel quill brushes and I think ink is just the thing to break them in. Then I can open that unopened bottle of sumi ink I admitted to and be on my way to using and opening the toys. Time to take my own advice and remember it's only a pile of bound paper!

CandAlArt
01-04-2011, 12:30 AM
Here's a tip for quick public portrait sketches- my library has a large area of public use computers in the reference area, plenty of chairs & tables nearby. Folks sit STOCK STILL when they surf the net!! Margo I like your suggestion of coffee shops- you can sip or snack while sketching, mmmmm. And half the folks are on wi-fi or studying or whatever & just think you are too...

eyepaint
01-04-2011, 12:37 AM
Candace - great tip! I believe that JoanT has sketched her fellow library patrons from time to time for the scavenger hunts :)

poochemio
01-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Good idea Candace, I forget my library and it's walking distance from my house, 2 intentions in one fell swoop!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

DrDebby
01-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Excellent tip.

robertsloan2
01-04-2011, 09:22 PM
That completely makes sense. People online are zoned out of their minds and naturally sitting still. Seems like you'll get a lot of "concentrated" facial expressions!

Rainy and Margo, inks are fun! I keep meaning to try using my Inktense pencils as ink, just scrape the points into a porcelain palette with a drop of water and try dip pens with them. I love dip pens. I had my first crowquill as a little kid and thought it was fantastic - it felt like this connection with history, with Durer and Poe and everyone who wrote and drew before ball points.

I have a few, might want to get those out sometime this winter and play with them.

I liked the idea of the January Challenge but for one thing. I could not think of a theme or idea for the challenge. I seem to have backed into it though because for the past three days I've been madly sketching in pastels. It seems like my 2011 Sketch Wall thread is my January journal thread more than anything in bound sketchbooks.

I've got a couple of Canson mi-Tientes pads too to work on in pastels and some new pastels to use in them, a set of 36 Derwent hard pastels that I'm breaking in. They do need breaking in. Like the Nupastels, they have either a compacted or varnished surface and the first few strokes with them, hardly any color comes off on the paper. Wear it down a little and then it goes on fine like any other hard pastels.

I also ordered a set of 120 Faber-Castell Polychromos hard pastels. They're lightfast, artist grade, come in more colors than Nupastels and I've been drooling at them for ages. Good sketching pastels. So I think that might be what I focus on this month, whether it's an official Challenge or not. If I don't make it an official Challenge then I can keep that going all year too.

virgo68
01-05-2011, 05:52 AM
Hi everyone! I am not committing to a challenge this month. I have a commission to work on for Valentine's Day, going on vacation for last two weeks of January and another commission to do after that :) I think I have enough on my plate with all that and working at the "real job" for 4 days this week too!

It is all good news, but daunting at the same time :eek:

I will still be calling in here every chance I can - watching what you all are getting up to and for some inspiration ;)

vhere
01-05-2011, 10:20 AM
I don't like the scratchiness of metal or feather dip pens for myself but love drawing with twigs or bamboo/reed pens. I love the variety of marks you can get with these - and dip pens in others work

poochemio
01-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Ooooh, twigs, now Viv that sounds very fun. I was reading an ink drawing book last night that had instructions on making your own reed or bamboo pen. My neighbor has an amazing and rather invasive stand of bamboo so I thought I might try my hand at making one. But a twig is sort of already made. Do you sharpen it or just draw with it as you find it? I'm utterly surrounded by trees so twigs are plentiful.:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I just got my Blick shipment it went to my po instead of the house. A lovely new Kolinsky sable size 6 pocket brush, and some spectrafix, so I can join Robert in the pastels! Woohoo. I've wanted one of those brushes for awhile and used a gift certificate Blick sent me when my Soltek took 2 1/2 months to arrive from the factory instead of 2 weeks, so it was like a present! And very nice of Blick for doing that for me as well.

eyepaint
01-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Oh yay Margo - new toys :)

DrDebby
01-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Yay! My F-C Albrecht Durer pencils arrived late yesterday. So pretty. Now to play with them.

poochemio
01-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Oh you will have fun now Debby, I got mine out last night and did a portrait of one of my Buddhas. It turned out very nice and 3d.

I've been camera shopping online since my beloved Leica has left the building. That is about the extent of artistic I have managed today. That and a glass of absinthe! oops neither probably count.

vhere
01-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Ooooh, twigs, now Viv that sounds very fun. I was reading an ink drawing book last night that had instructions on making your own reed or bamboo pen. My neighbor has an amazing and rather invasive stand of bamboo so I thought I might try my hand at making one. But a twig is sort of already made. Do you sharpen it or just draw with it as you find it? I'm utterly surrounded by trees so twigs are plentiful.:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I just got my Blick shipment it went to my po instead of the house. A lovely new Kolinsky sable size 6 pocket brush, and some spectrafix, so I can join Robert in the pastels! Woohoo. I've wanted one of those brushes for awhile and used a gift certificate Blick sent me when my Soltek took 2 1/2 months to arrive from the factory instead of 2 weeks, so it was like a present! And very nice of Blick for doing that for me as well.

just draw with them as they are :) no work at all!

Use the greenest bamboo or it's a nightmare to cut - I made the mistake of tryng to make a pen from a garden stake bamboo - no way can you cut it! Cutting from the plant is great as you can make thick and thin pens.

I know someone who likes to work with the flat sticks from ice lollies, he cuts them at an angle at one end and they are really nice to draw with.

poochemio
01-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Wow! Thanks Viv. Plenty of green bamboo, and nice to know that is what I should cut. I'll go out in a while and cut some. Hunt up some twigs while I'm at it, I probably have a popsicle stick or two in one of my pencil cups I will give that a go as well. New pens for the picking, now there's some grins and giggles!:D

watercolors4me
01-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Hi you all,

I'm starting the January Sketching Challenge this month and I'm going to concentrate on things that have to do with winter. Today, I did an Orange sketch and it's called, "Orange you glad it's Friday" I haven't posted it yet though. I really miss doing watercolors but I started sketching back in Sept. so I could get back into painting and practice on my drawing skills. I'm not a "real artist" just an artist wannabe but I love to paint and it's my passion now that I am a stay at home Mom of 3 Yorkies (lol). Looking forward to talking and sharing your sketches with you this month and in the coming months. :) Bonnie

DrDebby
01-07-2011, 03:18 PM
All these innovative ideas for drawing tools. :cool:

Hi Bonnie, welcome. You can sketch with watercolors too.

poochemio
01-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Welcome Bonnie, lots of watercolors go on around this group.

Haven't made my bamboo pen yet. Sweetie took me camera shopping and then to lunch by the State Cemetery and took me there to sketch first. Gonzo sculptures there, made the mistake of doing the first in charcoal with no fixative, so it was also the last, till next time. Was fun and quite a challenge. His hand is too big, but not so sure it's not proportional to what was on the sculpture. It is what it is!

Have a great weekend everyone hope it is full of inspiration for your art.

robertsloan2
01-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Well, today I finished procrastinating and packed up my Sketchbook Project sketchbook to send off to the Art House Co-op. Bought the postage, sending it Priority Mail so there's no question of their getting it by deadline (and so I don't have to try to find envelopes to fit it, versus the Priority Mail ones that are free.) I insured it for $100, that's a lot of original sketching in there that I'd hate to lose.

virgo68
01-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Congratulations Robert! How does it feel sending off your "baby"? Do you get it back at the end of the exhibition?

Well, I've been a bit absent lately - been filling in at my "other" job while people have been on holidays etc and when I can, I have been trying to finish a commission for someone that wants it as a Valentine gift - I am off on vacation for 11 days between now and then so I'd prefer to get it done before I go if I can.

It has been very hot and sticky here too - not conducive to drawing when sweaty hands make soggy paper! Also my "studio" is not the coolest room in the house at times. I plan to take lots of photos in Tasmania though so I have lots of reference photos for sketching when I get home for the cooler months ;)

Hope everyone is keeping well - I am still watching your work in the forum when I can snatch the time - there is some fantastic creative work being done for January :)

RainySea
01-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Robert, that is awesome although probably a bit bittersweet to see it go, huh? Congrats on the accomplishment.

Jackie, good luck with finishing up your commission successfully and have a great 11 days off

DrDebby
01-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Congrats, Robert. That will be a fantastic addition to the exhibition.

virgo68
01-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Just wanted to pop in and wish all of our Queensland (Australia) Wetcanvas members the best of luck and good wishes in the flood crisis affecting their state. I hope everyone manages to stay safe and dry.

poochemio
01-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Robert I will be sure to check out your sketchbook, when the tour comes to Austin. I'm pretty excited about that.

Today was my first day back at life drawing after the holidays. It was a fun afternoon, just a few of us so it got rather silly. The model was super, held her pose quite nicely. No paint for me today, I did ink washes and conte sketches. One ink wash came out pretty nice, and I almost didn't do that one. It was the Levengers blue cobalt ink I write with, I've been enjoying it so much I thought what the heck, there were some interesting pink tones that came out in the wash. Is it archival? Don't know, don't care, it was very fun to do. Now I want to do a wash with all of my pens, pilot g2's do a nice wash as well, at least with the colored pens. Didn't drag along anything that wasn't already decanted into a pen, to much tooing and froing in the group to have an open bottle of ink. Easier to lounge on the couch and sketch with fountain pens, and that is precisely what I did.

Hope you all have a creative and relaxing weekend.

poochemio
01-15-2011, 02:52 PM
This is aimed at those of you doing the Strathmore art journaling, but cool stuff for all. If you haven't looked at the One Minute Muse tutorials on youtube go check it out. Lots of fun stuff to use in your art journal pages. And doesn't take much of your time to watch!

poochemio
01-22-2011, 10:23 PM
For those of you who are still needing or wanting the Strathmore Visual Journals, I saw some at Hobby Lobby today.

eyepaint
01-22-2011, 10:43 PM
I participated in the 30th World Wide Sketch Crawl today (http://www.sketchcrawl.com/) and I posted my sketches in the Artwork From Life forum here:
http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12603782 (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/)

CandAlArt
01-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Here is something I am surprised the "art journal" makers haven't thought of. If you do collage/mixed crazy media, you can't use all the pages because the cover won't close after lots of glued in cool stuff. The mixed-med ones just need a spiral binding twice the size to accommodate the fattening up of the book. Eh, you listening Blick and Strathmore?

poochemio
01-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Candace, one thing I have done to accomodate that is to tear every 3rd or 4th page out of a bound book. In order to not mess up the binding I put a metal ruler down where I want to tear and use it as a guide. If you want really large spiral binders the Pentalic Nature Sketch is your baby, thick pages and lots of room to expand. You should email Strathmore on their ning site.

Blick Art Materials
01-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Hello,
We are listening! Great idea...we'll pass on your thoughts to the right parties for further consideration. Off the top of my head, the only type of book I can think of that would work in this manner would be a screw post binder, where you can extend the depth with longer screw posts.

-Kristal

Here is something I am surprised the "art journal" makers haven't thought of. If you do collage/mixed crazy media, you can't use all the pages because the cover won't close after lots of glued in cool stuff. The mixed-med ones just need a spiral binding twice the size to accommodate the fattening up of the book. Eh, you listening Blick and Strathmore?

CandAlArt
01-25-2011, 12:38 AM
It is so fun to see Blick pop in like that :wave: Thanks for the reply! Yes you can make all sorts of extendable books, but for The Lazy Among Us (me) who like to fill a prefab spiral book, big rings would be a cool innovation.
I have removed the chunk of spare pages from my almost overstuffed book, punched holes & used book rings & cardboard covers to create a new book. The rings are much bigger than the slab of paper, room to grow. Waste not want not!:thumbsup:

vhere
01-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Fabriano make some nice books with large ring binding and great paper - the only trouble is that the rings start to come away from each other (the interlinking - the way the links fit like U's into each other, not sure if that's very clear but it's the best I can do at the moment!) and the pages fall out in normal use I've found.

Maybe I'm just hard on sketchbooks? but the ring binding isn't the most robust for padding out and expanding.

CandAlArt
01-26-2011, 04:23 PM
Yes it's a quandry. We do suffer for our art, don't we? haha. My back covers come out of those loopy things- have to keep pinching it back together. Maybe the old school 3 ring binders are the most secure... but then the center would be split so far apart to try to do a 2 page spread. o well back to the drawing board, pun intended!

poochemio
01-26-2011, 08:13 PM
It is lovely to have so many choices though, and even if we find the perfect journal/sketchbook it won't be perfect for everything. Means we get to keep trying new toys.

CandAlArt
01-27-2011, 12:02 AM
It is lovely to have so many choices though, and even if we find the perfect journal/sketchbook it won't be perfect for everything. Means we get to keep trying new toys.

THAT'S THE SPIRIT! :clap: I like your attitude, that "everything's bigger in Texas including our art supply." :lol:

poochemio
01-27-2011, 01:39 PM
I just like to play with it all Candace. Seriously give a go with The Pentalic Nature Sketch, they sell them at Hobby Lobby here. It holds up well to lots of reworking, I probably like them better for art journaling than sketching, but they work admirably for that as well. I subscribed to the too much is never enough axiom long before I moved to Texas, but I'm sure all these big wide open spaces have just settled it more firmly in my mind.:wink2:

peonyblue
01-27-2011, 01:44 PM
I've removed spirals from books before, and held them together with those big o-ring-looking things they use for keyrings, which solves the problem but takes a bit of work. :)

sarales
01-27-2011, 08:05 PM
I'm enjoying my Pentalic Nature Sketch book; I also got mine at Hobby Lobby. I like it a lot so far!

DrDebby
01-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Good discussion happening about spiral bound books used for collage and such. Glad Blick took notice.

Now, does anyone have a brilliant idea for a February challenge? I was thinking a theme like "Chocolate and Roses" (deliberately staying away from the hearts thing for Valentines.) Could be drawings of either/or both. Could be a portrait of a woman named "Rose" or a child with chocolate on their face. Could be a dog or other pet named either Chocolate or Rose. (Yes, I've met both.) Could be rose petals, rose bushes, or bouquets. How about drawing a cacao tree or pod? (really interesting pods both in texture and color.) Could be something chocolate colored or rose colored. Lots of possibilities. And it wouldn't necessarily have to be a whole sketchbook or even a sketch a day unless you wanted to. Could be just a single page on the subject/theme. What do y'all think?

poochemio
01-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Debby this sounds like an interesting idea, especially if it isn't a whole sketchbook.

Does anyone else have the winter doldrums with their sketchbooks? Even with all of the furor with all the January journal stuff across the internet, I'm feeling decidedly hohum about it all. This may be the first monrth since October that I don't actually fill a sketchbook. Some days my only sketch has been in my purse book of someone seen out and about, even that is beginning to pall for me! EEK!!! Maybe it's the dreary weather I don't know.

Also a major question for any of you fountain pen users. I have used the darlings for years and love them except for my fine point and extra fine point nibs, seems if I pause even for a second the ink dries up and I have to rewet the nib. Is this just what I should expect or is it maybe the ink I'm using. I have 2 6packs of ink from Levengers that I've used happily for years and have no problems with in the other pens. Would Noodlers ink be a help? It's so frustrating as I'd really like to use the fine nibs for sketching.
Any advice or ideas will be most gratefully accepted!

DrDebby
01-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Margo, has the ink always been a problem in the fine and extra fine nibs? If it's a recent problem, I would say the ink is getting old and you may need a new supply. Also, when was the last time you thoroughly cleaned your pen and nib? That can have a lot to do with it also. The Levenger ink advertises "quick" drying time. You may need an ink that doesn't dry as fast. I'm currently using Pelikan ink in my fine nib fountain pen.

poochemio
01-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Debby, it's pretty much been a problem from the start. I took all my pens apart and gave them a thorough soak and clean about a month ago, didn't help one little bit. So I think I'll try another brand and see if that helps. To be honest I don't know if I paid any attention to that detail when I bought the ink, but at that point I totally preferred Medium nibs as I used them for writing, which I still do with no problems. I do have a bottle of Noodlers ink, some weird orange. I think I'll clean one of the fine tips and try that and see if it helps. Thanks Debby.

CandAlArt
01-29-2011, 01:18 AM
Is anyone here much into charcoal ? I am finding it rather soothing as a sketch medium. I sort of prefer the pencil form to keep my hands cleaner, but the different sticks are nifty too. I rarely hear anyone mention charcoal, though pastel of all sorts are so popular, as is graphite. Opinions, anyone?

vhere
01-29-2011, 08:59 AM
I love charcoal Candacehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2011/53888-e__aylestone_charcoal_sketch_packhorse_bridge_cold_day.jpg

This is an old one of mine - done perched precariously on a big branch over a big patch of mud at the edge of the river ! It's a medieval packhorse bridge over flood meadows on the edge of the city.

You do need to work on a larger scale with charcoal though so that you can work more freely

and yes, winter doldrums plus lots of demands here :(

eyepaint
01-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Now, does anyone have a brilliant idea for a February challenge? I was thinking a theme like "Chocolate and Roses" (deliberately staying away from the hearts thing for Valentines.) Could be drawings of either/or both. ...And it wouldn't necessarily have to be a whole sketchbook or even a sketch a day unless you wanted to. Could be just a single page on the subject/theme. What do y'all think?

Sounds great, Debby! I'll admit I am considering sketching a dog a day in Feb using digital drawing software and tools. I can't guarantee the names of the dogs or if they've been into chocolate recently :)

DrDebby
01-29-2011, 04:31 PM
All it would take is a chocolate lab and you'd have fulfilled the challenge. :lol:

eyepaint
01-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Yaaaay chocolate labs!!! :) :) :)

CandAlArt
01-30-2011, 12:53 AM
DrDebby- Great idea for the chocolate & roses! It will stretch our winter-killed imaginations :lol:

Vivien Thanks for the post & comments. Beautiful scene! I wondered if it was just me- yes you have to work larger than a 5x8 sketchbook to really enjoy charcoals. I have a 12x18 newsprint pad for sketching and Strath' 500 charcoal paper to jump into with a "better" drawing- when I get there :wink2:

poochemio
01-30-2011, 01:00 AM
I use charcoal for the gestures when I actually make it to life drawing, use a large newsprint pad too. I did one charcoal drawing in this months sketchbook, you just have to put quite a bit of fixative on them if they are in a book in constant use.

Hmm life drawing tomorrow afternoon 2-5, maybe I'll make that one? We shall see!

CandAlArt
01-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Margo and Vhere, do you ever use plain old hairspray to fix, maybe just in the sketchbooks? At least I can use it in the house. I fear using real fixative anywhere indoors and it is often breezy outside. My artist friends here have varying opinions on hairspray!:confused:

vhere
01-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Yes I often use plain old hairspray :) and it fixes it really well

It isn't an archivally sound thing because it may well discolour with time but I've got work I did a loooong time back now that hasn't come to any harm from it.

poochemio
01-30-2011, 03:26 PM
Yes I use it in my sketchbook, and wouldn't hesitate to use it on Newsprint if I wanted to save an image, newsprint isn't archivally sound anyway. Also much cheaper than fixative. I do have some fixative that isn't toxic, spectrafix, it is recommended by Deborah Secore for fixing pastels. All she allows in her classroom. It doesn't smell at all. But I'm just not willing to use it for my sketchbooks. Aquanet, nice and cheap at the drugstore!

CandAlArt
01-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Yes, thanks to all the Aquanet Artists. I did a charcoal drawing for a friend in 1985, on newsprint. with hairspray (a class assignment) and we framed it. She says it still looks fine in her home in TX; that's all I need, the Louvre ain't calling any time soon! My fixative smells (Krylon) -even using it outdoors! I have gotten a little more serious tho about my art and supplys, but I don't want to get unnecessarily fussy, or stain my favorites with the wrong goo.

eyepaint
02-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Feb discussion thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876932) now posted.

Feb challenge thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876942) now posted.

thom futrell
02-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Hey all! I'm new to journaling, so my resolution this year is to start a journal and stick to it!

sarales
02-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Good for you, Thom!! great resolution!

DrDebby
02-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Hi Thom, and welcome. Great resolution. Please start a thread with your journal in it, we'd love to see it.

Hi Leslie.

We are now chatting in the February chat thread. Please feel free to come over and chat with us there.