PDA

View Full Version : Jan 2011 Art Journals Challenge!

eyepaint
12-31-2010, 08:40 PM
Happy New Year!!

Welcome to 2011 in Art Journals. This month we have a "choose your own challenge" project. As discussed in our December chat thread we came up with several ideas. It could be something like:

- rip open the wrapping on a new art supply and give it a try for one sketchbook page a day for a week

- do a page related to letters of the alphabet (eg A for apple, B for bandicoot, etc )

- personal choice medium challenge, for example [Chris] would like to do a watercolour book, someone else might like to explore mixed media etc

- New year/Old Artist: little / quick copies of old master drawings/paintings (old dead artists probably better for any copyright concerns)

- 'adopt an artist' ; try to do sketches/drawings in the style of an artist (apart from ourselves)

- a theme challenge. Pick your own theme of interest to you.
- For example, babies (New Year baby strutting in, so could draw different types of babies such as baby animals, baby peas, baby food...? Any number of entries for the month. Try for one a day in a new sketchbook OR use up the pages in an existing sketchbook
- A theme per week - could be something like 1. Landscapes, 2. people, 3. animals, 4. things around the house.

If you choose to work on a January challenge (and of course this is optional), please start a new thread with the words January Challenge in the title and let us know in the first post which challenge(s) you plan to work on.

Sound good? Okay! Let's go!!

And remember to pop into the Art Journals Forum's January Discussions (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12107952) thread and say hello, share a recipe, compare new art journal purchases, etc.

Cheers,

CandAlArt
12-31-2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the great choices! Now I'll spend a quiet new year's eve deciding. Happy 2011!

RainySea
12-31-2010, 10:23 PM
Me, too. . . thanks EP.
Happy New Years all.

eyepaint
12-31-2010, 10:39 PM
Hi Candace and Rainy - enjoy your evening's musing and other fun. See you in MMXI :) :) :)

virgo68
12-31-2010, 11:28 PM
Happy New Year fellow sketchbookers! May 2011 be a very creative year ;)

I will just be happy if I finish the 12 sketches of December project...... :lol:

seejay
01-01-2011, 12:06 AM
Oh no, too many choices, my head is going to explode....

(a few deep breaths later) ... no it hasn't. Cool, I'm in!:D

90% chance I'll do some wc sketching. A few loose ends from MMX to tie up, then I'll jump in.

Here's to a great 2011,
Cheers

DrDebby
01-01-2011, 01:20 AM
My choice is made. I'm going to finish my December challenge. :lol: (That's the plan anyway.)

RainySea
01-01-2011, 01:13 PM
I'm not sure what challenge I will do just yet. . . I may finish the 12 but I also am taking a class on journaling that begins today so I will probably share those pages in my December thread unless I come up with a cool new idea for Jan that I have time to explore.

Happy New Years all

Davkin
01-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Well Debby, you left it so open this month I might have to do a challenge this month. I'll probably do a theme, I don't know wether I'll just do one theme for the month or four weekly themes.

David

CandAlArt
01-01-2011, 07:06 PM
I think I have made up my mind. Because my biggest Christmas art gift to myself was a large order of Mi-Teintes and Strath' 500 colored charcoal paper, I will try to create something daily on the different colored grounds. I will create a colored paper art journal in a 3-ring binder. Charcoal, hard pastel, and oil pastel.
There. I said it so now I have to get crackin' :wave:

RainySea
01-01-2011, 08:34 PM
That sounds like a fun one, Candace!! Exploring all those new papers with various medium . . . ENJOY! And I look forward to seeing them.

I finished up my ProArt Sketchbook today. . . YAY. . . with the #6 item in my December challenge.

So with that completion, I now have just the Visual Journal going but had only three pages done in WC in that one and am going to be using it for the VJ workshops I'm participating in from now on. So I'm going to start a separate/new sketchbook to use for January rather than putting other stuff in that one. Reserving it for the workshops!

Now the fun part of going through my stash of journals and picking which one to crack out!!!

poochemio
01-01-2011, 09:50 PM
I love this one, choices hmm, dead artists sounds fun, different mediums does too, have lots of op's and pastels that would enjoy being used! Thanks for a good selection Eyepaint.

vhere
01-03-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm in - not sure doing what yet .....

I didn't finish the December one due to visiting for Christmas, my daughter having swine flu and an emergency Caesarian (all is well and we have a lovely little new grand daughter and lots of paperwork to do for the new term.

I'm sort of wondering about the abc as I could do a joint book for Grandson aged 3 and new baby

RainySea
01-03-2011, 05:12 PM
I have decided to do my January book using the Raffine mixed media trial size sketchbook which has 24 pages (the full size one has 60, I think). . . and I am going to just have FUN exploring mixed media I think. At least, that is the plan. I've begun page one last night but put it aside to dry overnight and will finish up this evening.

dianapotts
01-03-2011, 06:52 PM
This sounds fun! I'm late. I was focusing on housework and a job before today this new year so...

I am thinking that I'll continue the Twelve Days of Christmas theme of dolls. The holiday and set up got in the way plus I was learning a new technique.

Diana

eyepaint
02-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Feb challenge thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876942) is now posted.