PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Plates Using Porcelain 150

DragonladyfromOz
01-19-2003, 08:02 AM
Hi all
These are my attempt at painting dragons on plates using Porcelain 150.
Plates are approx. 12 inches square with sloping sides, and approx. 1 1/2 inches deep. I did find it a challenge to stop the paint 'pooling' at the edges where the bottom and sides of the plate meet on the first plate [Panky] so I used 3 thinner coats on the second one [Flowers].
I know some people do not consider this China painting ... but it was fun anyway and this was the only forum I could find to post it into!
Cheers
D'lady.
BTW - 'Panky' - based on Emily Pankhurst name as the dragon was painted in the green and purple of the suffragettes... a coincidence - not planned.:p
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2003/15717-Panky_Plate.jpeg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2003/15717-Flowers.jpeg

elizabeth ours
01-19-2003, 10:38 AM
vibrant colors! my husband would love that dragon plate, he collects dragons. i would love the one with the flower, since i am a flower nut!

great work - i'll have to try this some day.

liz

ironhorse
01-20-2003, 04:52 PM
Those are great Dragonlady!
I've just recently gotten into painting cremanics as a way to get out of the house for an evening.
The colours on these are fantastic!

BTW you can post these in the Fantasy/si/fi fourm too!! They would love to see them over there!

Twyla

DragonladyfromOz
01-20-2003, 07:24 PM
Thanks Liz and Twyla -- I've found it great fun and very satisfactory using the Porcelain150 as it is pretty much instant and quick work. My first efforts were dragons on tiles for my shower/bathroom ... and they are still on!
Hey Liz, my partner did some calculations - we could send the plates over and it would only cost you about $30 US for both ... unfortunately the postage and handling would require you to re-mortgage your house - hehehee :D You will definitely have to try this stuff, and as for the colours - they have heaps! I like the really vibrant colours too and love mixing them up to get new ones.
Twyla, as with Liz, this is really good fun to do and you have gazillions of colours to choose from and make. I will do as you suggested and post in the fantasy sci/fi forum and will also see if I have pics of my bathroom/shower as some of the dragons in there I am quite proud of - for a first effort.
Cheers
Manda:cat:

elizabeth ours
01-20-2003, 07:50 PM
the house is mortgaged to the hilt!

i will be on the lookout for porcelain150 - can you paint it on already glazed porcelain or stoneware or whatever type china? do you have to bake it, better yet will it come with instructions?

liz

DragonladyfromOz
01-20-2003, 08:07 PM
Hey Liz - what a bummer about the house!!!:D
You can paint on all sorts of surfaces - even metal pots! - as long as they can be baked in the oven to 150 degrees celcius for 35 minutes.
I just bought cheap pre-glazed plates from a local discount store - white ones - and went for it. Here are two sites you may want to have a look at:
http://www.dickblick.com/zz029/08/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=232
and
http://www.in2art.com/pebeo150.htm
... they will give you a good idea.
Yes, they come with an instruction pamphlet and colour chart and couldn't be simpler to use. The only warning I would give is that the Ming Blue can be a bit temperamental and go brownish-grey if cooked for a smidgeon too long. I have also just posted some pics of my bathroom tiles I did [first time using this stuff] in the fantasy sci/fi forum if you want to have a look. Just quietly, gave the tiler nightmares trying to put them on as he knew I would kill him if he broke one -heheheeee.
Have a go ... it's great fun!

Ohh, and don't forget to post a pic of your efforts!

inisheerstudio
01-21-2003, 11:24 PM
What did you use for the outline? I really like these...good work! :clap:

DragonladyfromOz
01-22-2003, 01:50 AM
Thanks Moondance:D
The Porcelain150 range has paints, pens and outliners [outliners are similar to relief paint in a tube], I use the outliners for my work and then fill it in with the paint. If you click on either of the links I gave above, they have explanations of the full product range.
Cheers
D'lady

inisheerstudio
01-24-2003, 07:22 PM
Thank you D'Lady...I'll check out the links....

I work in porcelain clay...I love it. :D

Josie
01-24-2003, 11:24 PM
Hi! A pop in from the glass arts forum. I just had to tell you how beautiful your work is! Gorgeous!!

Tracey

DragonladyfromOz
01-25-2003, 07:18 PM
No problem moondance - I guess we will see a post of your work soon? :D
Thankyou Josie/Tracey ... you gotta try this stuff ... it's sooo much fun!
Cheers
D'lady

inisheerstudio
01-25-2003, 08:36 PM
Hi D'Lady...

I have a set of thrown porcelain cordials up now on my auctions. I will take photo's of my new work coming up in Feb.

I also work in cement! lol I just posted a thread on the sculpture board about working in cement. I have a few photo's there of my sculptural pieces.....

Please have a look :D

I will be making some porcelain tiles using underglazes....I will let you know how they turn out.

inisheerstudio
01-25-2003, 08:38 PM
Also...have you heard of cold cast porcelain? That's a new one to me. Someone mentioned that on one of the threads.

DragonladyfromOz
01-26-2003, 03:09 AM
Also...have you heard of cold cast porcelain? That's a new one to me. Someone mentioned that on one of the threads.

Hi moondance
Cold cast porcelain - nope - never heard of it! I have to admit, my knowledge of porcelain is pretty much limited to the stuff you eat off or put flowers in :D I do have an electric wheel and kiln in the shed [ex-studio] but they are an integral part of a common spider breeding programme - ewwww!

I had a look at your posts - wow! You have done a fantastic job on your works - they look wonderful. Wanna build me a courtyard ?:p I especially liked the 'self-portrait' piece.

I was actually being cheeky about the posts comment - I meant that you would probably be putting a post in soon using the Porcelain150 ... as it is rather addictive once you start ;) ... must be the non-existent fumes!

Can't wait to see your cordials!
Cheers
D'lady [Manda]

inisheerstudio
02-13-2003, 01:44 PM
Hi Manda....

Thanks for having a look at my posts...hehe...

Non exsistant fumes! Addicting? Hum....may really have to try it now. LOL

:evil:

Leslie Pz
02-22-2003, 10:14 AM
D'lady
This is very unique! I love your palette.
-Les

boarsrock
02-28-2003, 09:01 PM
I hate to butt in and ask a question, but what kind of paints work on ceramics?

DragonladyfromOz
03-01-2003, 04:01 AM
Thanks Leslie Pz - there is a huge range of colours available with this product ... and more being added all the time!
No problems boarsrock :D The paints are called Porcelain 150, come in a huge range of colours - also transparent/opaque/frosted...etc. You paint them on, let them dry, cook them in the oven ... and voila!
Great fun:p
Cheers
D'lady

boarsrock
03-01-2003, 06:29 PM
DLfOZ... Thanks for the info. Do these blend well, or allow time for modeling or is this fast frying? I take you've tried several brands and like these best... where do you get yours from?

Thanks again!

DragonladyfromOz
03-01-2003, 07:03 PM
DLfOZ... Thanks for the info. Do these blend well, or allow time for modeling or is this fast frying? I take you've tried several brands and like these best... where do you get yours from?
Thanks again!

Hi again boarsrock!
Yes, these blend and mix very well - all colours - although I haven't tried the various mediums yet. Ummm, modelling, not sure what you mean here. All I can really tell you is that you can paint on all sorts of surfaces - even metal pots! - as long as they can be baked in the oven to 150 degrees celcius for 35 minutes.
I just bought cheap pre-glazed plates from a local discount store - white ones - and went for it. Here are two sites you may want to have a look at:
http://www.dickblick.com/zz029/08/p...ram=0&ig_id=232
and
http://www.in2art.com/pebeo150.htm
... they will give you a good idea.
Yes, they come with an instruction pamphlet and colour chart and couldn't be simpler to use.
I haven't tried any other types as these are the only brand I have heard of, plus .... being in Australia, we don't get the variety of products you may get in the USA. :D
Cheers
D'lady

PS - Yes, they are fairly fast drying, approx. 1/2 hour touch dry - 1 day for outliners.

DragonladyfromOz
03-02-2003, 07:07 PM
Just found out the plate with the sunflower and little dragon asleep in the centre has been sold - yeehaa!:clap: