PDA

View Full Version : Marketing Help?

kaz
03-20-2000, 01:15 PM
Hello,this will be my first post The question is could someone tell me of any type of business that use`s image`s like the one`s I do,I`ve searched in the Artist and graphic designer`s market book.The problem is I have no schooing in art, and therefore have no understanding of the different categories or style`s that they list, and therefore do not know who I should market.Any category you think i fit in or business you think have similar artist please list.Thank`s sincerely, Kaz
P.S. click on the little house icon below to see my website. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by kaz (edited March 20, 2000).]

Phyllis Rennie
03-20-2000, 08:15 PM
What do you do? You forgot to tell us. Phyl

kaz
03-20-2000, 11:46 PM
Phyllis, http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/eek.gif I forgot to mention to click on the little house www. icon under my post that will take you to my website. I guess I do, comical illustration`s and painting`s, I just have no clue of how to market these and am looking for a more informed set of eyes to look over my art and put it in a category so I have a better clue of what to do wih them beside`s throwing them in the trash.Thanks Sincerely Kaz

------------------

oleCC
03-21-2000, 08:57 AM
Wish I could help you with your question but I did want to tell you not to "trash" your work! You mentioned comic books you are creating, and I think that is very fitting for your work. Love the way you turned the mustard accident into something creative!
Good stuff, and perhaps someone else can better catagorize for you - to me it looks like you could be called an "illustrationist" but ..... anyone else see that? http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
http://www.artistnation.com/members/lofts/olecc

splashes
03-21-2000, 10:58 AM
Hi, Kaz! This is my first post, also, and I'm sure not an expert in the marketing field. your work is terrific and shows such humor and originality! Have you thought about the greeting card market, maybe for starters? I'm sure there are others more knowledgeable than I, but that's what popped into my head when I looked at the fellow riding the dragon--and hiding the food behind his back. Best of luck!

------------------
Space Cadet

Andrea
03-21-2000, 02:22 PM
Hello Kaz-
This is my first posting as well and I took a look at your website - I think your work would be PERFECT for illustrating - comic books, children's books, anything! Children's Book publishers are always looking for new illustrators.. You could either illustrate someone else's script or submit your work for someone to write a script for.
Good luck!

Fritz
03-21-2000, 04:12 PM
I agree that book illstrations would be a great way to go. By the way my 9yo LOVED your drawings! He's over there with his sketchbook right now! :-) Look into childrens books. Kas, Do you mind if my kids use one of your drawings for the basis of a story? We wouldn't copy it just look at it on your website. I home school and creative writing is always more fun with an ilustration to start with. Let me know! Thanks.

------------------
Mon
Life is a journey, but don't get lost during the lay-overs.

cagathoc
03-21-2000, 04:20 PM
You need a copy of the "Children's Writers and Illustrators Market" -- it lists all the publishers where you can send your work and tells how to do it.

best luck!

------------------
Cindy Agathocleous

"What if imagination and art are not, as many of us might think, the frosting on life, but the fountainhead of human experience?" - Rollo May from The Courage to Create

kaz
03-21-2000, 04:52 PM
Wow thank`s for the kind replies from everyone. I was not aware of the Children`s Writer`s and Illustrator`s Market Book I`ll be picking up a copy of that.Hearing from the artist here, has helped in making a difficult decision narrowed down, I guess I want my "art" to make people feel joy and laughter and what better way then to do Children`s Book`s or Greeting Card`s. Thank`s Again!

sandyartist
03-25-2000, 06:43 AM
Kaz..you have a real gift for illustration..don't ever trash anything! Besides the book for children's writers..get the Artist's Guide to the Market, recent edition..I think published by Northlight. They also have good book on writing and illustrating for children's books. The market guide book has every greeting card, magazine, book and album cover, etc. place in the country that buys from artists and what they are looking for! From what I saw on your website, you will have more work than you could possibly find time for!!