PDA

View Full Version : "Mock Orange" Landscape Print

Thrash
01-16-2003, 02:19 PM
16x20", a large copier print run off on Xerox Postermaker (18x24" at Kinko's), hand shaded with pencil, on domestic etching paper. The original drawing was done with Sanford Calligraphy pen on sheet of typing paper. Based on a 14x17 plein air drawing of a mock orange tree in Alabama swamp.

More prints at http://www.absolutearts.com/portfolios/s/spocari/
See my post, How Anybody Can Make a Print, in PRINTMAKING for details.

sassybird
01-19-2003, 11:47 PM
Thrash, your images are very detailed and well drawn. Despite the debate on what a fine art print is I hope that you will continue posting these in the forum. I am always open to watching people develop techniques. I know how expensive presses are, believe me, my 13x24" Griffin press was nearly 3K, but I would like to see you develop some of these images in the time proven techniques like intaglio etching.

Dick Blick has a number of presses that range in size for very reasonable prices. Ok, I also know that most artists stuggle to keep cost down too, but an investment like that is well worth the money. Gisela bought a press from Dick Blick and is very happy with it. I forget the cost, but you can go to Dick Blick's website to check on that.

You have a good handle on compositon and drawing techniques. As I said before gum arabic can be used to transfer your images from a xerox copy onto a plate to start with. After that using other techniques to develop the image will capture you, and you will find that you can get many more effects using things like aqua tint, line etch, spit bite, white ground and others in bringing an image to life.

Lampburke
02-18-2003, 08:21 PM
Go, Thrash....