PDA

View Full Version : "Perfect-ish" lino print

talkingbanana
01-15-2003, 09:50 PM
I haven't had much experience with printmaking; all I've done has been two lino projects. I love cutting out the actual plate, but then . . . for some strange reason, I cannot, for the life of me, make the stupid print! If I managed to get the plate inked just right, I couldn't line it up. If I manged to line it up, I had the wrong amount of ink. (I tried everything and just couldn't get it; if anyone has any suggestions, they would be appreciated greatly.) So when I had to do a printmaking project for my Art 1 class last year, most of my prints turned out, well, "interesting."

Until this one. I messed this one up on purpose and I actually kind of like it. :angel: So for all you serious printmakers, here's your laugh of the day.

bikevstar
01-15-2003, 10:47 PM
First, if anybody laughs at your work, to your face or behind your back, they're just plain ignorant and rude! I for one like this a lot. It's very hard to register lino's. It takes practice. I did one lino last week and it sucked! I didn't even post it and it was just a black lino print. You've only done a couple??!! That's very good for your third one. I don't really like the butterfly but I love the rest. I've been too chicken @#%$ to post my stuff. I've done a few montypes (abstract) and there's one I like but I'm afraid of criticism as much as I need it and want it. Good for you! Keep doing it cause you'll only get better. Way to jump in there. I'm trying to get past all that. I just bought "The Artist's Way" and I'm hoping that'll help me with all that. Nice job.

Kelly:clap:

Christobal
01-16-2003, 06:14 AM
I think every artist has his collection of missed things. This is a good lino, imho !
And... just have a look at my signature!

Gisela
01-17-2003, 05:17 AM
LOL -- I've produced a lot of 'interesting' prints too! ;)

Keep trying -- this is quite fine for a third (?) effort. It takes time and practice, practice, practice to perfect your technique. Getting perfect registration is no easy task even for many 'serious' printmakers. It's my least favorite part of the whole process...:p

Gisela

sassybird
01-19-2003, 11:11 PM
The cut marks add texture and interesting lines to the piece. That is something like the plate tone that shows in etchings after you have wiped the plate. Don't fight that. Use it to enhance your work. Maybe it is your subconscious trying to add it's two cents worth in....lol Anyway it is all YOU, and that is what is important.

As for the inking keep your ear tuned to the sound of the brayer rolling across the ink. When you get a sound that is close to velcro being pulled apart then you should have the right consistency on your brayer to roll on the plate. Also roll the ink on in several different directions on the plate. That will assure that you have good coverage, and will keep down those roller marks that sometimes appear when the printmaker is not paying attention to the plate.

_Jo_
02-18-2003, 12:30 AM
I like it. It's simple and u don't have to look at it for hours to figure out what it is.

talkingbanana
02-19-2003, 04:52 PM
Thanks everyone. I feel so much better about myself now. :D

This forum moves really slow . . .